Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #361
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
WOW you guys ROCK !

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiegirl View Post
After one week with Stillmans QWL plan I've lost almost 6lbs! It's currently totm so I hope that I'll get rid of some more once it's over. Either wait, I'm so thrilled!

Although, I haven't lost a single inch. How on earth can you lose 6lbs and not a single inch is lost? I'm probably losing weight from my toes or something.
And I go against the flow on low carb boards...I ignore the inches & go completely by the scale, yep totally backwards according to some folks . But who cares At this point, though I wouldn't worry about the inches.Mostly people say check the inches to keep yourself going when the scale doesn't move...you're going down so KUTGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Whooppeeeeee! I lost pounds overnight! And now I'm back at my pre Disney weight! I thought it was odd that I had gained so much because my clothes felt the same. So, I must have gotten really bloated traveling home. I've never lost that much in one day. I'm still have 5 to lose to get back to where I was the week before Disney. During that week I stopped low carbing because I wasn't going to low carb on vacation and I didn't want an upset tummy! Anyway, I'm feeling so good! I have an interview next week and most, if not all that extra 5 will be off!

Way to go, Mim! Have to just Love losing that travel water weight (I know I completely balloon on travel days...really bad circulation contributes to that for me. My shoes are so tight by the end of a travel day, I think I gain a pound in each foot, much less all over the rest of the place too.) Don't think I've ever lost 5 overnight, though. That has to be a record. You'll get back to pre-pre-Disney weight in no time.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #363
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondiegirl
Stats: 230/156/120
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
And I go against the flow on low carb boards...I ignore the inches & go completely by the scale, yep totally backwards according to some folks . But who cares At this point, though I wouldn't worry about the inches.Mostly people say check the inches to keep yourself going when the scale doesn't move...you're going down so KUTGW
I just don't see the point in losing weight on the scale if I can't see any difference at all Anyway, I guess I'll get there eventually

Has anyone here gone from Stillman's to a low carb diet with fat in it too? Like Atkins? How much (if anything) did you gain in the transition?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #364
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
hey all my wonderful stillmans friends! so I am off the soy shakes for a while. listened to everyone's advise here. will see how i feel without them. replacing soy with almonds. higher fat i know, but thought i would try. i gained just a tad, not sure how much (maybe a couple pounds this past week). it was following a really long work week, TOM and lots and lots of family stress from all side--so weird how things come in waves. we are home because of the hurricane today. my dogs, husband and i needed this time together, just to hang out and be around each other. no major activities, just lots of love.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member

does anyone have nut or soy allergies and what are the symptoms?: also, what were the symptoms of those who developed hypo-thyroidism?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiegirl View Post
I just don't see the point in losing weight on the scale if I can't see any difference at all Anyway, I guess I'll get there eventually

Has anyone here gone from Stillman's to a low carb diet with fat in it too? Like Atkins? How much (if anything) did you gain in the transition?
you will see the difference (and feel it too) I'm just saying I don't bother measuring because the weight comes off & I get smaller.

As for transitioning to Atkins. Sure, you can do it. We eat mostly Stillman's, most of the time. But that's kind of boring, KWIM. So at least once a week we have a high fat ATkins style meal (like prime rib or rib-eye steak...fatty cuts for sure) and will have salad with fat dressing, and broccoli or asparagus dripping butter. We do not gain weight doing that...sometimes it stalls us for a day or two, but not gain unless it's a very salty restaurant meal. Then it's gone within 24 hours if we pop up 1/2 lb water.

We've gone Atkins completely for a week or so a couple of times during this weight loss journey. Did not gain weight..but did stall the losing pattern.

The reason we started eating Stillman's at the end of May, though, was because we had stalled while eating the high fat/low carb version of Atkins ...basically I think we just found it way too easy to over-eat when including all the high fat items (I did not gain on it, but really slowed the weight loss down: lost only 1.5 lbs in all of May...too slow when I had 100 to lose!)

Bottom line, I don't think you'll necessarily gain weight by switching to the higher fat Atkins, but you may find you need to watch the calories because a little fat is a lot of calories...and may not fill you up enough. (I know the high-fat-advocates claim the high fat controls appetite, but it did not for me. I still felt the need to eat more food. YMMV)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
does anyone have nut or soy allergies and what are the symptoms?: also, what were the symptoms of those who developed hypo-thyroidism?
Here's the list of symptoms for Hypothyroidism from Mayo Clinic:
Fatigue
Sluggishness
Increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Pale, dry skin
A puffy face

Hoarse voice
An elevated blood cholesterol level
Unexplained weight gain
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
Muscle weakness

Heavier than normal menstrual periods
Brittle fingernails and hair
Depression

I had all the ones in italics...the fatigue was EXTREME. I was rarely sleeping more than 60-90 minutes at a time, many days the best I could get was 4-5 hours total sleep in 24 hours. Also, it's not just unexplained weight gain, but extreme difficulty losing weight if you have untreated hypothyroidism...I was gaining weight on 1000 calories a day (With no cheats at all...I should have been losing at least 3 lbs a week at that level of calorie intake but instead was gaining about 1/2 lb. a week eating like that. VERY frustrating, to say the least.) That, with the fatigue, prompted me to go to the doctor to see what was wrong with me.

Untreated hypothyroidism is very dangerous...thyroid hormone basically runs the rest of the hormone systems that in turn run everything else in your body. Taken to extreme, hypothyroidism results in coma & death.
Not trying to scare you, just wanting to point out that it IS a serious condition.

As for nut allergies...the people I know who have them get the Anaphylaxis reactions (swelling of the mouth & throat...like the kind that kills you if you don't have the epi pen to inject right away.)

It's more common to have digestive issues with soy and nuts...not really an allergy, more of an intolerance or inability to properly digest. In that case, you can get gastro problems (like diarrhea, or constipation, or maybe just upset-feeling stomach.

Last edited by catne; 10-29-2012 at 10:01 AM..
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

patience blondie, the weight takes a year or more to redistribute. That means you still shrink after no losses.

IDK about soy allergies, just that my teeth went to hell as well as hair graying after three years vegan. Also sent me directly into menopause, no stop, no collect 200 dollars....

Shreem, enjoy your hurricane party as well

Last edited by CCGirl; 10-29-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Here's the list of symptoms for Hypothyroidism from Mayo Clinic:
Fatigue
Sluggishness
Increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Pale, dry skin
A puffy face

Hoarse voice
An elevated blood cholesterol level
Unexplained weight gain
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
Muscle weakness

Heavier than normal menstrual periods
Brittle fingernails and hair
Depression

I had all the ones in italics...the fatigue was EXTREME. I was rarely sleeping more than 60-90 minutes at a time, many days the best I could get was 4-5 hours total sleep in 24 hours. Also, it's not just unexplained weight gain, but extreme difficulty losing weight if you have untreated hypothyroidism...I was gaining weight on 1000 calories a day (With no cheats at all...I should have been losing at least 3 lbs a week at that level of calorie intake but instead was gaining about 1/2 lb. a week eating like that. VERY frustrating, to say the least.) That, with the fatigue, prompted me to go to the doctor to see what was wrong with me.

Untreated hypothyroidism is very dangerous...thyroid hormone basically runs the rest of the hormone systems that in turn run everything else in your body. Taken to extreme, hypothyroidism results in coma & death.
Not trying to scare you, just wanting to point out that it IS a serious condition.

As for nut allergies...the people I know who have them get the Anaphylaxis reactions (swelling of the mouth & throat...like the kind that kills you if you don't have the epi pen to inject right away.)

It's more common to have digestive issues with soy and nuts...not really an allergy, more of an intolerance or inability to properly digest. In that case, you can get gastro problems (like diarrhea, or constipation, or maybe just upset-feeling stomach.
thanks, Catne!! This sounds absolutely horrible. You must feel so much better now. so glad you are here!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
patience blondie, the weight takes a year or more to redistribute. That means you still shrink after no losses.

IDK about soy allergies, just that my teeth went to hell as well as hair graying after three years vegan. Also sent me directly into menopause, no stop, no collect 200 dollars....

Shreem, enjoy your hurricane party as well
Thanks CCgirl on the vegan advice. I'm listening very intently to everyone's wisdom.

yes...so nice to have this time off. hopefully hurricane sandy will be nice. 8:30pm is the time the city is talking about the high winds in nyc. we are on very high ground and safe from flooding, but still prepared to loose power. flashlights, water and food.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shreem, I cannot stress enough about how my health suffered after reading Skinny Beotch and going vegan. I totally got sucked in and was drinking the Kool Aid. And the weight gain! All those carbs.....

Winds are about 15-20, power is out as of 6PM. Bless my Dad for getting us this generator
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011
Hey guys!

It's almost the end of my challenge!

Weight is down about 10 lbs but I have lost 3 inches alone from my stomach!! And the rest of me seems smaller too!

I find if it's not weight going down the inches go down so it's win win. I am gonna eat some veggies and then back on plan for me!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #373
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning! I lost another two! Now I have to lose 3.5 to get back to where I was two weeks before Disney! I need to stop fooling around and get this weight off. I am going to do my best to stay on plan until Christmas, and at Christmas I will eat more veggies - we have some special dishes we make but they are pretty low carb - just higher fat. My birthday is Feb. 5 and I want to lose 30 pounds by then!

I don't measure inches either - for one thing, I can never seem to measure the same spot twice! I go by how baggy my clothes get!

And speaking of clothes - I washed my two skorts and the tops I took to Disney and put them in the bag of clothes I'm giving away. By next summer I'll be able to fit two of me in them!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #374
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
Hey guys!

It's almost the end of my challenge!

Weight is down about 10 lbs but I have lost 3 inches alone from my stomach!! And the rest of me seems smaller too!

I find if it's not weight going down the inches go down so it's win win. I am gonna eat some veggies and then back on plan for me!

Well done!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #375
Senior LCF Member

thanks CC. I'm eating my almonds right now and had three days of very low carb, medium protein higher fats. doing lots of research on the foods that build our brains the best and why. i don't let my little puppies go vegan (they are carnivores/ominivores)--so I will keep myself strong too. My friend is a vegan and she does lots of animal rescue. PETA is big on promoting the vegan lifestyle due to animal cruelty, so that is what I'm thinking about right now. Have to work through some of these animal cruelty issues & how the food we eat is created. (had a hurricane here last night-we were very protected, so i'm very thankful for our safety)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #376
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

Was weighing day after day, and scale was showing I was within 1 lb of "down 60"...twice in last week I've been as close as just .4 away from 60 down. Then I'd bounce back up 1/2 lb or so for a day. I just couldn't get there

Was STARVING the last two days (not actually starving, just extra very very hungry. But I didn't just go hungry, I actually ate more...extra chicken, extra eggs, etc.)

Got up this morning, weighed. And had to get on & off that thing about 10 times because I couldn't believe it. I even moved the scale & did the re-calibrate. But it was for real:

Lost 2 lbs...I'm now down 61.4 lbs. total since 3/6/2012.

Celebrate, Celebrate, dance to the music...

Next goal in my sights: 75!

Last edited by catne; 10-30-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #377
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah Cathy! You are such an inspiration! Well done!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #378
Senior LCF Member

:clap :awesome Cathy!!! Way to go. this is amazing. Feels so good when this happens.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #379
Junior LCF Member

Congrats on your losses!

Personally I had a cheat meal today. I'm going to do 9-10 days of Stillmans, 1 day where I have a meal which contains more carbs and repeat, just to make sure I don't reach a plateau etc.

Going to avoid the scale until Saturday, hopefully by then I'll see a loss, seeing as totm should end by then too.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #380
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Arrrrrrggggggg. I'm having day 3 difficulties. I typically just sail through and if I do get the munchies it is typically day 5! No, I'm not going to give in. I am mentally strong. It is just irritating!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #381
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Congratulations, Cathy!

I know how eager you've been for that 60--and it will be 75 before too long.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 AM   #382
Junior LCF Member

No gain after my cheat

Awesome
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #383
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I am inching my way back down. I've lost my first weight of the weigh week - .5! I hope to lose at least 2 more by Sunday. I'll be on plan Sunday - I'll take food to eat in the car as I drive the 7 hours. And I'll be on plan Monday for breakfast and lunch. My interview is at 2 and I'll be back at my friend's house by 6. I'll eat whatever she fixes, but I won't eat dessert. We are having cupcakes to celebrate my youngest grandgirl's second birthday (dd and girls are meeting me at my friend's). Ok, gotta get going for the day. Have a great one!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, all...I was sure I would bounce back up today (that's the usual pattern)

But a Halloween spook apparently haunted me last night...and stole another 1/2 lb. Down 62.2 lbs now. Still kind of in shock at that...

I will have to clean out my closets down here (in Florida) next week...half my clothes here are getting baggy...and I'll be back in Nebraska for November & December...thinking these clothes will be way too baggy when I lose another 10-15 over the next 2 months. I may go shopping to see if there's any clearance stuff left in smaller sizes. Hate paying full price for transitional sizes, but love having new clothes that was 70 or 80% off.

Mim, you'll get there. We know this works, and it works well for recovering relatively quickly when we choose to go off-plan for awhile. My worst recovery time (to get back to previous low) was about 10 days. I found that getting hungry is a good sign...and just eat more if it gets too intense...anything to get through. Sounds like you have good plan to minimize travel issues for your interview.

Blondie, that plan of having regularly planned Atkins-lovely-high-fat meal is exactly what we're doing (though we're more like an Atkins meal every 5-6 days...usually a restaurant meal of ribeye steaks or prime rib, with salad & steamed veggies.) It's working for us...slower losses than straight Stillmans, but it's allowed us to stay steady losing mode for months without getting totally burned out with boring Stillmans.

Happy Halloween...and may all the candy in your area be cheap yucky types leftover from last year so you're not tempted

Last edited by catne; 10-31-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #385
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Although I do best with low fat, I find that I need one day of "Atkins-style" eating each week to feel my best. I usually make Sunday my 'fat day' because that's also a day when I eat higher calories than usual--and that fat adds the calories FAST.

Personally, I think this system actually helps me lose, but that may be because age and hypothyroidism requires me to keep calories so low the other 6 days, and I've read that a single day of higher calories helps.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #386
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WRG losers and shrinkers !

Shreem, I hate to sound like a broken record, but

The Naive Vegetarian
Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

O and HAPPY HALLOWE'EN !!!!!!!!!!! MAMMO WAS NEGATIVE/NORMAL !!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011
I am enjoying my veggies and having the higher carb ones like potatoe and corn but I am also looking forward to getting back on plan and getting even more weight off, I think I am going to do what I did last time on stills and allow myself to have an Atkins style meal once a week or more if there is abday or even an unexpected meal out.

Reading that a lot of you do it reminds me that I used to do it too and it kept me sane!

I already made all my omelet muffins for breakfasts so I am almost ready to jump back on plan before I expected to, too! I was gonna have a week of carby veggies but 1 serving of corn and 3 servings of potatoes seems to me enough for me haha.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

O Mar DO share the omelet muffin recipe !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
O Mar DO share the omelet muffin recipe !!!!!!!!!!

Agree...Mar, would love to see another idea for breakfast that can be made ahead.

Quote:
O and HAPPY HALLOWE'EN !!!!!!!!!!! MAMMO WAS NEGATIVE/NORMAL !!!!!!!
And wonderful news, CC, always great to get negative readings on the mammograms.

Haven't had a single trick or treater...glad I bought candy I don't like
Closed Thread