Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010

woke up feeling great and ready for the day! my weight is thin, my body feels strong and I am happy.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #332
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondiegirl
Stats: 230/156/120
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
blondiegirl- Is it truly nausea or just loss of appetite? The latter happens frequently, but I've not experienced the former. Could it be any particular item on your menu?

Keep in mind that the most important thing is to stay hydrated at any time when we feel we can't eat--broth, tea, water. My doctor advised those sports drinks because they help with electrolyte balance (which is actually often the reason for nausea--loss of sodium or potassium). They come in zero calorie versions, which is what I use.
Maybe a combination of both? I feel nauseous and I can barely sit up for more than a couple of minutes before needing to lie down again. At the same time I'm hungry but I have no desire to eat. So yeah, could be both. I'm drinking plenty, goes down way better than food, hehe!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Copying my post from my 3 week challenge.

I weighed today because it is Wednesday and officially my 3 week mark. I am still up two pounds of mystery weight. I will weigh again on Friday. Hopefully it will be gone by then.

Starting Weight- 226.4
Week One- 9.2 lb loss
Week Two- 1.6 lb loss
Week Three- 2.2 lb loss

13 pounds in 3 weeks so far. Looks like a great number but I lost most of it week one.

Not great for Stillmans but I will take it. It is going down.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #334
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ashley-
It's all a matter of perspective. Your rate of loss would be magnificent for me. I lost all my weight at no more than a pound a week, which is what happens when you're post-menopausal with a 'genetically slow metabolism' (my endo's words).

IMO, consistency is the key; don't let the numbers get you down.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Copying my post from my 3 week challenge.

I weighed today because it is Wednesday and officially my 3 week mark. I am still up two pounds of mystery weight. I will weigh again on Friday. Hopefully it will be gone by then.

Starting Weight- 226.4
Week One- 9.2 lb loss
Week Two- 1.6 lb loss
Week Three- 2.2 lb loss

13 pounds in 3 weeks so far. Looks like a great number but I lost most of it week one.

Not great for Stillmans but I will take it. It is going down.

Fabulous weight loss...put in on a graph: that's a lovely down-hill slope. And you're averaging more than 4 lbs a week. Not too shabby at all, at all.

I suspect that the only way to get the results claimed in the original Stillmans is to have a healthy (i.e. NORMAL) metabolism and to eat EXACTLY as specified. We all tweak it some, adding things that were never on the original list and substituting similar things for what is actually on the list. I know my metabolism is messed up (Hypothyroidism, and now meds that can cause weight gain) but even so, I lose fastest on Stillman's when I eat exactly what's on that list...nothing else. But man, oh, man is that BORING! Have to tweak it just to manage to stay on it: wouldn't maintain my sanity otherwise

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Fabulous weight loss...put in on a graph: that's a lovely down-hill slope. And you're averaging more than 4 lbs a week. Not too shabby at all, at all.

I suspect that the only way to get the results claimed in the original Stillmans is to have a healthy (i.e. NORMAL) metabolism and to eat EXACTLY as specified. We all tweak it some, adding things that were never on the original list and substituting similar things for what is actually on the list. I know my metabolism is messed up (Hypothyroidism, and now meds that can cause weight gain) but even so, I lose fastest on Stillman's when I eat exactly what's on that list...nothing else. But man, oh, man is that BORING! Have to tweak it just to manage to stay on it: wouldn't maintain my sanity otherwise
Thank you
I know what you mean by tweaks. I know I have to have a few or I will die. The first time I did Stillmans, I ate ONLY chicken breast and drank only plain water. No tweaks... I lost 24 pounds in 3 weeks. I was thrilled with the loss but I do not have it in me to do that again. It was truly horrific.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #337
Junior LCF Member

Day 4! Decided not to weigh in because I only got 3 hours of sleep and I know that a messed up sleeping pattern usually means that the scale stalls on my part. I'll probably weigh tomorrow or on Saturday when it's safe

I'm going to treat myself to some ground beef tomorrow!!! Really excited. Maybe a glass of diet soda, just to make sure I have something to look forward to and so that I stay sane.

What's the deal with diet soda though? Why do you generally avoid it? Is it because the sweeteners in it have an actual effect on your insulin/blood sugar or because it can trigger you to eat sweet stuff?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiegirl View Post
Day 4! Decided not to weigh in because I only got 3 hours of sleep and I know that a messed up sleeping pattern usually means that the scale stalls on my part. I'll probably weigh tomorrow or on Saturday when it's safe

I'm going to treat myself to some ground beef tomorrow!!! Really excited. Maybe a glass of diet soda, just to make sure I have something to look forward to and so that I stay sane.

What's the deal with diet soda though? Why do you generally avoid it? Is it because the sweeteners in it have an actual effect on your insulin/blood sugar or because it can trigger you to eat sweet stuff?
Great job making it to day 4.
I avoid artificial sugars as much as possible because they do tend to slow me down. That being said, I drink half strength crystal light all day long. It keeps me sane.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

It's a YMMV thing with the artificial sweeteners. I do drink Pepsi One (that's the one with splenda, cuz aspertame/nutrasweet gives me headaches.) I also use MIO flavoring drops in my water, and occasionally use the Torani or Davinci flavored syrups in my coffee.

This year, I'm really paying attention to patterns on eating & weight loss. What I have noticed is the more AS I have in a day, the hungrier I am -- not necessarily for more sweet stuff, just hungry for food. So I tend to over-eat if I'm sipping at sweetened stuff all day...it's legal food, just too much in a day. Like sipping at MIO water all evening, I end up eating more chicken breast, maybe an egg, etc. Some nights I was almost having a 2nd dinner, I was that hungry. That, for me, is where the stall comes from, just simply having too many calories to lose anything (that was a real DOH! moment for me.)

I cannot totally give up my diet soda and flavored water, if nothing else, those flavors keep me sane (if I can't have fruit, at least I can have the FLAVOR of fruit with my MIO) So now I alternate my beverages...for every glass of MIO water, I'll drink at least one glass of water without MIO...so I've cut my AS consumption dramatically, and it helps. I've found putting a couple of slices of fresh lime in the plain water glass helps...adds trace amount of carbs, of course, but that's a choose your battle compromise I make to stay on plan

Last edited by catne; 10-25-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #340
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Great job making it to day 4.
I avoid artificial sugars as much as possible because they do tend to slow me down. That being said, I drink half strength crystal light all day long. It keeps me sane.
Thank you! It's weird because it's not even that difficult anymore. I think my appetite is diminishing and I could see myself doing this for another couple of weeks.

Hrm yeah it seems it's different for everyone? I guess I'll just have to try and see if anything happens to my weight or not.

Quote:
It's a YMMV thing with the artificial sweeteners. I do drink Pepsi One (that's the one with splenda, cuz aspertame/nutrasweet gives me headaches.) I also use MIO flavoring drops in my water, and occasionally use the Torani or Davinci flavored syrups in my coffee.

This year, I'm really paying attention to patterns on eating & weight loss. What I have noticed is the more AS I have in a day, the hungrier I am -- not necessarily for more sweet stuff, just hungry for food. So I tend to over-eat if I'm sipping at sweetened stuff all day...it's legal food, just too much in a day. Like sipping at MIO water all evening, I end up eating more chicken breast, maybe an egg, etc. Some nights I was almost having a 2nd dinner, I was that hungry. That, for me, is where the stall comes from, just simply having too many calories to lose anything (that was a real DOH! moment for me.)

I cannot totally give up my diet soda and flavored water, if nothing else, those flavors keep me sane (if I can't have fruit, at least I can have the FLAVOR of fruit with my MIO) So now I alternate my beverages...for every glass of MIO water, I'll drink at least one glass of water without MIO...so I've cut my AS consumption dramatically, and it helps. I've found putting a couple of slices of fresh lime in the plain water glass helps...adds trace amount of carbs, of course, but that's a choose your battle compromise I make to stay on plan
Well I'd make sure not to eat more just because I have a diet soda! I find it's the opposite for me - I eat less because it fills me up.

Btw, how dangerous is it to go superlow on the calories? I've only eaten 600 calories today and the last thing I want is for my metabolism to get f*cked up. Do I try to eat at least 1200 calories or?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you! It's weird because it's not even that difficult anymore. I think my appetite is diminishing and I could see myself doing this for another couple of weeks.

Hrm yeah it seems it's different for everyone? I guess I'll just have to try and see if anything happens to my weight or not.

Well I'd make sure not to eat more just because I have a diet soda! I find it's the opposite for me - I eat less because it fills me up.

Btw, how dangerous is it to go superlow on the calories? I've only eaten 600 calories today and the last thing I want is for my metabolism to get f*cked up. Do I try to eat at least 1200 calories or?
My calories usually hover around 600-700 a day. I don't worry about it but I do not know much about altering the metabolism. Hopefully someone here can answer that. I am interested too.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Blondie- I just found an interesting article about the "starvation mode myth". I was looking into it because I remembered a dr.oz episode where a woman had gotten a lapband and was showing off her before and after meals.. and the after meals consisted of table spoons of yogurt and stuff. Very very few calories but people oowed and awed over it and all around though it was fantastic but gosh forbid regular overweight people cut calories without surgery. I don't understand why people claim I'll go into starvation mode but that women was doing A-okay with such restriction. It's kooky. Anyway I dunno if I can post the link or not but I'll try.

Fatty Fights Back: MTYHBUSTERS: Starvation Mode
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #343
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Blondie- I just found an interesting article about the "starvation mode myth". I was looking into it because I remembered a dr.oz episode where a woman had gotten a lapband and was showing off her before and after meals.. and the after meals consisted of table spoons of yogurt and stuff. Very very few calories but people oowed and awed over it and all around though it was fantastic but gosh forbid regular overweight people cut calories without surgery. I don't understand why people claim I'll go into starvation mode but that women was doing A-okay with such restriction. It's kooky. Anyway I dunno if I can post the link or not but I'll try.

Fatty Fights Back: MTYHBUSTERS: Starvation Mode
I've read about starvation mode and I know it's more or less a myth, but I'm still a bit worried about what will happen after I do this QWL and start eating more calories. I don't know how my body is going to react going from 800 calories to 1500 calories per day and it freaks me out a little lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

I don't have any articles on hand about that but I was really into water fasting for a little while and all the reading I did into that said that your metabolism will be non the worse afterwards as long as you ease back into eating. I wish I'd kept track of some of the info I'd found. Sorry.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #345
Senior LCF Member

Maybe this will be more helpful?

"Metabolism after Weight Loss
The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss."

From this site which has a link to the study.
http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...1&art_id=35501

Last edited by Phase; 10-25-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #346
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Because of my age and medical conditions, I need to eat very low calorie--even with Stillman's, so I 'cycle' calories. I've read that the body doesn't respond at all to your calorie level for at least 48 hours, so there's no harm at all in eating at a low calorie level for a day or two.

Most often the lack of appetite that comes from eating very low carb (which I personally have never experienced) wanes after a few days, so that the individual will eat adequately but less.

Bottom line--Don't worry about a couple of days of eating very little.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Wish me luck!

I'm just .4 away from joining the 60 lb club. Goal was to get there by end of October...looks like I will make it.

Hope the scale is cooperative tomorrow. I'd love to start November a bit lower than I thought I would be.

It's almost TGIF
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm just .4 away from joining the 60 lb club. Goal was to get there by end of October...looks like I will make it.

Hope the scale is cooperative tomorrow. I'd love to start November a bit lower than I thought I would be.

It's almost TGIF
60 pounds. wow. I am so happy for you!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

still sitting at .4 away from 60 lbs. Dang it. Really wanted it to budge that little bit today.

Oh well. Now I have tomorrow to look forward to
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #350
Junior LCF Member

5lbs lost since I started on Monday
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
still sitting at .4 away from 60 lbs. Dang it. Really wanted it to budge that little bit today.

Oh well. Now I have tomorrow to look forward to
lol That is a good way to look at it.
Quote:
Awesome!

I am down a pound today but still up a pound from Sundays weigh in. My body is just not happy this week. Stupid hormones.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wonderful. You go!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
WOW chec k out the losers and mainainers !!!!!!!!!!

I'm still here, just trying to keep sane after the recent family events and the trauma of my first mammogram this week. EEEEEEEEEK

hugs all around {{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #354
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good Sunday morning! I'm baaaaccccck! I had a great time with the grandgirls at Disney. I stepped on the scale this morning and it is not a pretty picture! But I had a great time! And we went to the Epcot food and wine festival two days. Need I say more? Anyway, I'm back on plan this morning. I suspect it will take me two weeks to lose my gain. I will do my official weigh in on Tuesday and hope by then to be 3-4 pounds above my pre Disney weight. But then On thursday I have two meal meetings and then Sunday I leave for an interview in Michigan. I won't be on plan next Monday as I'll be staying with friends. But that should be my only totally off plan day, and I may get away with staying mostly on plan. I'll be getting up early Tuesday and driving back in time to vote, so I'll be on plan in the car! Anyway, 'tis good to be home.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mim, how wonderful for you ! Times like that are precious. I hope you did the grandmama thing and took tons of pictures.

Bracing for Sandy, caulking a vent pipe on the roof, cooking tons of food, picking up loose things around the yard.

I hope my flight is still good on Thursday, cancellations abound...... Haven't been on a plane in six years, yikes.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #356
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Mim, how wonderful for you ! Times like that are precious. I hope you did the grandmama thing and took tons of pictures.

Bracing for Sandy, caulking a vent pipe on the roof, cooking tons of food, picking up loose things around the yard.

I hope my flight is still good on Thursday, cancellations abound...... Haven't been on a plane in six years, yikes.

Are you going down to be with your Mum? Flights should be fine by Thursday.

And yes, I took a ton of pictures!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post

Hope you get a miss on Sandy...or at least a relatively light blow, CC. Being in Florida, we get these Trop STorm & Hurricane watches fairly often...I got in the habit of filling every cheapie tupperware container I have with drinking water, and freezing them. The bigger chunks of ice last a lot longer than ice cubes do when the power goes off...and if worse comes to worse & the power is off long enough for them all to melt then I have more safe drinking water in the containers. If I keep power, I still have my containers, no extra expense buying ice. Good luck.

Mim, so glad you had a good time at Disney (my favorite vacation spot, will be there next weekend) My experience with long Disney-food weekends/short vacations is eating whatever, takes me about 10 days to get back to pre-Disney weight. If I stay on plan, I still gain there (from excess sodium, I'd guess) and that takes 5-7 days to get back to pre-Disney. Totally worth it, though.

Everyone else, Happy Sunday! Hope you all have a good week (and hope Sandy decides to stay mostly out in the Atlantic...that would be great, wouldn't it? NO ONE needs a big storm this week.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I'm going back home to Miami for the memorial service and to do paperwork. I haven't been in six years.

Yay on the pictures !

Yeah, growing up in SoFL makes me hurricane prepared. Funny thing is up here I've seen more cane action than when I was down there ! Thanks for the tips !

Fridge and freezer are full (stays colder when full, so if you don't have a ton of food in there lay it up with bottled water or containers)

Going to start up the generator in a bit, DH did not like the way it was eunning last time we used it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #359
Junior LCF Member

After one week with Stillmans QWL plan I've lost almost 6lbs! It's currently totm so I hope that I'll get rid of some more once it's over. Either wait, I'm so thrilled!

Although, I haven't lost a single inch. How on earth can you lose 6lbs and not a single inch is lost? I'm probably losing weight from my toes or something.

Last edited by blondiegirl; 10-29-2012 at 03:29 AM..
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #360
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Whooppeeeeee! I lost 5 pounds overnight! And now I'm back at my pre Disney weight! I thought it was odd that I had gained so much because my clothes felt the same. So, I must have gotten really bloated traveling home. I've never lost that much in one day. I'm still have 5 to lose to get back to where I was the week before Disney. During that week I stopped low carbing because I wasn't going to low carb on vacation and I didn't want an upset tummy! Anyway, I'm feeling so good! I have an interview next week and most, if not all that extra 5 will be off!
Closed Thread