Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post

When I have shrimp, I make my own cocktail sauce with the reduced sugar ketchup and horseradish. That way I can make it bit more spicy, add some kick.

Oh, what a good idea...will have to try that. I like pan-grilled shrimp, but would love some good sauce to dip it in.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
So this is my reference for the Stillmans Inches Off Diet that worked SO>............well for me. it really takes the inches off so well.

Dr.Stillman's ~“INCHES-OFF DIET”

Right now, I recently started a new job and I had only started the inches off diet about a week before they asked me to start working full time, so my anxiety levels with eating this new way and having a new job (at the same time) climbed very high. I lost inches fast!! I was very happy about that. However, I was used to snacking a lot (while staying home) and the work environment I'm in requires a lot of attention to work & continual typing at the computer, so snacking is very minimal because my hands and mouth are busy doing other thing. I found it very hard to eat from this new list during work-as most of the foods are whole, very low calories and not as filling as (nuts, hard boiled eggs, etc). So the last week I kind of went back to a vegetarian atkins style, eggs, almond butter, nuts, seeds, lettuce salad with eggs at lunch.

I prefer the vegan style and like my body structure much better when using the lower protein/veggies/fruit plan.

This is going to take some work on my part to get it all figured out. The last week was higher fat and protein, and the inches did come back slightly. I think the problem is that eating fruit works really well for taking the inches off, but I'm snacking on that all day. Where if I eat a handful of nuts or an egg--then I'm done and not interested in more food. (however, the fruit and veggies keep me MUCH leaner in the inches category-and highly energized as well. Plus, there is no constipation with the fruit and veggie diet, so my body is cleansed. I think it will be a balance. maybe do high protein one week, then fruits and veggies another week. Or maybe fruit for breakfast then proteins in the afternoon.??

Any ideas? I feel a little alone on this path right now-but know you are all there and supporting me with this continual journey of health.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #303
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blondiegirl
Stats: 230/156/120
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Hey guys! I've been reading through pretty much every thread in this subforum and I'll be starting the QWL plan tomorrow (I need to go grocery shopping lol).

I've lost weight previously through counting calories but I've been within the same 10lbs the past two years and it won't seem to budge (and if it budges, it's extremely slowly, like 1lb in 3 months). I tried a low carb high fat diet for a month but I only dropped water weight and it was too much fat for me, personally, so now I'm looking to start Stillman's instead!

Do you guys have any advice for a rookie? Things that make it a lot more bearable? lol. I was on a liquid diet for 4 days before and it nearly made me go mental - at least now I'll get to eat food!

Food that I'll eat; eggs, cottage cheese (honestly never been a fan but I'll have to learn to like it or else this diet will be so dry), turkey, chicken, shrimps, tuna and salmon.

Anything else that I should add/buy? I'm not in the US so we probably don't have the exact same brands as you guys but just a general product would suffice.

Also, how do you go about maintaining after doing this? I think my body reacts badly to carbs so I won't by any means go back to a carb filled diet, but at the same time I don't want to gain a shitload of weight as soon as I start eating more liberaly than this QWL (like salad, the occasional fruit, dairy products etc). Is it better to ease into an atkins-type of diet?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

blondiegirl, i would leave out the cottage cheese. cheese will always stall me, and i'm a good looser. i love it's taste, too.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiegirl View Post
Hey guys! I've been reading through pretty much every thread in this subforum and I'll be starting the QWL plan tomorrow (I need to go grocery shopping lol).

I've lost weight previously through counting calories but I've been within the same 10lbs the past two years and it won't seem to budge (and if it budges, it's extremely slowly, like 1lb in 3 months). I tried a low carb high fat diet for a month but I only dropped water weight and it was too much fat for me, personally, so now I'm looking to start Stillman's instead!

Do you guys have any advice for a rookie? Things that make it a lot more bearable? lol. I was on a liquid diet for 4 days before and it nearly made me go mental - at least now I'll get to eat food!

Food that I'll eat; eggs, cottage cheese (honestly never been a fan but I'll have to learn to like it or else this diet will be so dry), turkey, chicken, shrimps, tuna and salmon.

Anything else that I should add/buy? I'm not in the US so we probably don't have the exact same brands as you guys but just a general product would suffice.

Also, how do you go about maintaining after doing this? I think my body reacts badly to carbs so I won't by any means go back to a carb filled diet, but at the same time I don't want to gain a shitload of weight as soon as I start eating more liberaly than this QWL (like salad, the occasional fruit, dairy products etc). Is it better to ease into an atkins-type of diet?

Thanks in advance!
If you don't like the cottage cheese don't eat it, I tried to do the same even though I don't really like it and it didn't make me stick to plan having the extra food it made my want to go off even more because even the "treats" were gross! haha

I think the plainer the better but thats just me, I eat because I enjoy the taste not because I need it so the less flavour there is the more likely I am to just eat what I have to and then stop.... It took me a long time to figure this one out and then I had a head cold a couple months ago and it clicked I couldn't taste so I wasn't eating so now the plainer I stay the less I eat and the more I lose.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I agree with PP, skip the cottage cheese (especially if you don't care for it anyway...it does tend to stall many of us so why eat it?)

And though I personally love salmon, it is a higher-fat protein (Stillman's is all about extremely low-fat, lean protein.) So you might want to put that off until you're in the losing zone.

As far as maintaining...hubby & I are not there yet, but we do have Atkins-style meals with high-fat steaks, big salads, cream in the coffee and LC cocktails...every so often (like once a week or so) What we find is the Atkins style meals just stall the loss, but do not cause gain. So we're thinking when we get done losing weight we will be following Atkins-legal meal plans to maintain.

There are some folks on here that actually are at maintenance. makemeslim posts pretty regularly, and hopefully will chime in with more exact advice for you. She's in the UK too so on the same posting-times schedule you're on.

Good luck

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
So this is my reference for the Stillmans Inches Off Diet that worked SO>............well for me. it really takes the inches off so well.

Right now, I recently started a new job and I had only started the inches off diet about a week before they asked me to start working full time, so my anxiety levels with eating this new way and having a new job (at the same time) climbed very high. I lost inches fast!! I was very happy about that. However, I was used to snacking a lot (while staying home) and the work environment I'm in requires a lot of attention to work & continual typing at the computer, so snacking is very minimal because my hands and mouth are busy doing other thing. I found it very hard to eat from this new list during work-as most of the foods are whole, very low calories and not as filling as (nuts, hard boiled eggs, etc). So the last week I kind of went back to a vegetarian atkins style, eggs, almond butter, nuts, seeds, lettuce salad with eggs at lunch.

I prefer the vegan style and like my body structure much better when using the lower protein/veggies/fruit plan.

This is going to take some work on my part to get it all figured out. The last week was higher fat and protein, and the inches did come back slightly. I think the problem is that eating fruit works really well for taking the inches off, but I'm snacking on that all day. Where if I eat a handful of nuts or an egg--then I'm done and not interested in more food. (however, the fruit and veggies keep me MUCH leaner in the inches category-and highly energized as well. Plus, there is no constipation with the fruit and veggie diet, so my body is cleansed. I think it will be a balance. maybe do high protein one week, then fruits and veggies another week. Or maybe fruit for breakfast then proteins in the afternoon.??

Any ideas? I feel a little alone on this path right now-but know you are all there and supporting me with this continual journey of health.
don't have any advice, but really, really interested in hearing how alternate weeks work for you. I would love to have the fruits & veggies...are you in maintenance now? Or still trying to lose a some?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 235/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: September 2 2014
Still losing slow and steady this week. Hubby wants to go off plan on the 27th and I think I am going to join him. I think at that point I will be ready for a break. Test my ability to get right back on plan the next day. I am going to be doing this till around April/May. It is unrealistic to stay clean Stillmans that long. I think a break every 3 weeks is reasonable.

Quote:

I do not have any ideas but wanted to wish you the best. I hope someone can post that has more experience with your needs. I am interested on knowing also. Sooner or later I will be juggling the same things.
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I would skip the cottage cheese. Yucky and it stalls me. The plan is tricky for me. If I cook my meat too plain I don't want to eat it but if I make it really good, I over do it.
It is easier for me if I find a meat I can tolerate and spice it just enough to make it edible. I usually just use a little salt and pepper. I can not stand chicken breast so I mainly eat tilapia and lean ground turkey.
You just have to find the right setup that works for you.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #309
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for your replies!

Alright, I'll skip the cottage cheese for now. I guess doing it as simple as possible is the way to go in the beginning? I don't want to screw anything up so I'll keep it as plain and uncomplicated as I can.

For tomorrow, would this be a good mealplan?

Brunch: Two hb eggs with tuna (I have to leave home at noon and I don't want to bring food to uni so it'll have to be a brunch)
Dinner: Turkey
Evening meal (if I'm hungry, that is): Egg(s)

I think it'll be difficult to get into it but I've heard nothing but great things about losing weight with this so I'm really eager to give it a go.

How much did you guys lose in the first two weeks? I know it's individual and that I shouldn't set a goal date, but I'm curious, hehe.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
don't have any advice, but really, really interested in hearing how alternate weeks work for you. I would love to have the fruits & veggies...are you in maintenance now? Or still trying to lose a some?
I am in maintenance. When I moved to the inches off way of eating, i was so fearful that i would gain by adding the carbs. it was surprisingly the exact opposite. i lost more weight and many inches overall. i looked much better. i added more protein and fat the last two weeks to keep from dropping more weight. it was wonderful. i encourage anyone to go for it, but I noticed that dr. stillman recommended you first get to your goal weight with the QWL way of eating. but the veggies and fruits might be a good break and you might be surprised to loose eating this way too??
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies!

Alright, I'll skip the cottage cheese for now. I guess doing it as simple as possible is the way to go in the beginning? I don't want to screw anything up so I'll keep it as plain and uncomplicated as I can.

Brunch: Two hb eggs with tuna (I have to leave home at noon and I don't want to bring food to uni so it'll have to be a brunch)

I think it'll be difficult to get into it but I've heard nothing but great things about losing weight with this so I'm really eager to give it a go.

How much did you guys lose in the first two weeks? I know it's individual and that I shouldn't set a goal date, but I'm curious, hehe.
Good plan! just set you mind firm and do it. you will get results. i would also stay away from the salmon. didn't help me either.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Still losing slow and steady this week. Hubby wants to go off plan on the 27th and I think I am going to join him. I think at that point I will be ready for a break. Test my ability to get right back on plan the next day. I am going to be doing this till around April/May. It is unrealistic to stay clean Stillmans that long. I think a break every 3 weeks is reasonable.

I do not have any ideas but wanted to wish you the best. I hope someone can post that has more experience with your needs. I am interested on knowing also. Sooner or later I will be juggling the same things.

I would skip the cottage cheese. Yucky and it stalls me. The plan is tricky for me. If I cook my meat too plain I don't want to eat it but if I make it really good, I over do it.
It is easier for me if I find a meat I can tolerate and spice it just enough to make it edible. I usually just use a little salt and pepper. I can not stand chicken breast so I mainly eat tilapia and lean ground turkey.
You just have to find the right setup that works for you.
Thanks for the wishes, Bratty. I will just continue on my journey with you guys and keep posting. We are all trusting in Dr. Stillmans plans, and this piece I'm doing is exactly what he recommended following the QWL diet. Then in the other book he has that maintence menu as well.

you will be here soon as well and i believe this will always be a day to day thing. our lives, bodies and situations change all the time so we have to be willing to try and experiment with what works best for each of us. too bad there isn't an exact plan to follow every single day and be on auto pilot with the food, but there isn't. we are living changing beings.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
If you don't like the cottage cheese don't eat it, I tried to do the same even though I don't really like it and it didn't make me stick to plan having the extra food it made my want to go off even more because even the "treats" were gross! haha

I think the plainer the better but thats just me, I eat because I enjoy the taste not because I need it so the less flavour there is the more likely I am to just eat what I have to and then stop.... It took me a long time to figure this one out and then I had a head cold a couple months ago and it clicked I couldn't taste so I wasn't eating so now the plainer I stay the less I eat and the more I lose.
Mar922, this is really smart advice. i have heard about people that plug there noses when they eat. there is not taste, so they really dont have a lot of reason to eat more. that is a successful technique for some, so it makes sense to keep it plainer. less addictions.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for your replies!

That meal plan looks great. Keep it simple and just make the decision to keep going. It can get easy to talk yourself out of it. I usually lose about 10 pounds the first week and about 3 pounds each week after but I have a lot of weight to lose.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mar922, this is really smart advice. i have heard about people that plug there noses when they eat. there is not taste, so they really dont have a lot of reason to eat more. that is a successful technique for some, so it makes sense to keep it plainer. less addictions.
I will have to try that and see if it works for me, I was actually just talking to the bf about how I could eat with not tasing it haha
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #316
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Shreem & blondiegirl-
I am maintaining, and I do Stillman's whenever I find myself having too many 'indulgences' and my weight goes to the upper limit of my maintenance range (i.e., 145-46). Usually one week of strict Stillman's gets me back to my optimum weight 142-43). However, I'm extremely sensitive to carbs, so I could never do his 'inches off' diet. So my standard 'maintenance plan' is generic low carb with no more than 25g carbs per day (spread out over the day) because my Critical Carb Level is a max of 30g.

However, I do this with low-moderate fat because I find that I don't tolerate fat well (I've read this is common among 'senior' women), so it's basically Stillman's with a little fat added. I also must watch calories. I have no 'off' switch when it comes to appetite control--low carb or not. I'm also post-menopausal, hypothyroid, and have what my endo calls a "genetically slow metabolism." Thus, my body needs much less food that I would like to feed it, so I need to monitor calories.

This works for me, and I feel great eating this way.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #317
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Shreem & blondiegirl-
I am maintaining, and I do Stillman's whenever I find myself having too many 'indulgences' and my weight goes to the upper limit of my maintenance range (i.e., 145-46). Usually one week of strict Stillman's gets me back to my optimum weight 142-43). However, I'm extremely sensitive to carbs, so I could never do his 'inches off' diet. So my standard 'maintenance plan' is generic low carb with no more than 25g carbs per day (spread out over the day) because my Critical Carb Level is a max of 30g.

However, I do this with low-moderate fat because I find that I don't tolerate fat well (I've read this is common among 'senior' women), so it's basically Stillman's with a little fat added. I also must watch calories. I have no 'off' switch when it comes to appetite control--low carb or not. I'm also post-menopausal, hypothyroid, and have what my endo calls a "genetically slow metabolism." Thus, my body needs much less food that I would like to feed it, so I need to monitor calories.

Thanks for your reply! Great to see that it's possible to maintain after Stillman's. Once I change my WOE I'll make sure that it's not the way I used to eat when I got fat - I think that's the most important part. We all have to see what works best for us (how many carbs, fat and protein we should eat without gain etc).

Today was the first day and it's been alright! Can't say that it's the tastiest food I've ever eaten but I feel the results will easily be worth it so I'll stick to it. However, if I don't get a result this first week then I (knowing myself lol) will have a lot of difficulties continuing eating this way, so fingers crossed for a loss when I weigh in later this week!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Shreem & blondiegirl-

You know, it is exactly this sort of well-thought-out, successful way of maintaining your weight that makes low-carb people look sane, Leo41.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #319
Senior LCF member

Jillo-
Thanks for your comment. It means a lot to me. I've been maintaining for almost 2 years, and I must admit that it's been challenging. As blondiegirl pointed out, it's important to find what works for each of us.

I think that it's important for people to become aware, during the weight loss process, of how they will maintain. I knew there would be a learning curve involved, but it was a lot steeper than I imagined.

I really thought I was prepared for maintenance, and I was surprised by how challenging I've found it. But it's definitely worth the effort!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Jillo-
Thanks for your comment. It means a lot to me. I've been maintaining for almost 2 years, and I must admit that it's been challenging. As blondiegirl pointed out, it's important to find what works for each of us.

I think that it's important for people to become aware, during the weight loss process, of how they will maintain. I knew there would be a learning curve involved, but it was a lot steeper than I imagined.

I really thought I was prepared for maintenance, and I was surprised by how challenging I've found it. But it's definitely worth the effort!
Jillo,
Thanks for the encouragement and great tips! so yesterday and today were very low carb, low fat and high protein to tighten things up in the eating just a bit. It worked! So the quidance you mentioned about doing a stillmans day every now and then worked for me too. I feel so great, that i'm doing another stillmans tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #321
Junior LCF Member

Down 2lbs this morning!

I know it's only water weight but it's so motivational to see a lower number on the scale!!! Especially as my totm is starting in two days and I'm usually up 2-3lbs at this point.

Hopefully by Saturday (how I'm going to manage to stay away from the scale that long I don't know LOL) I will see actual fat loss!

How long did it take you guys to see a difference on your body?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Down 2lbs this morning!

I know it's only water weight but it's so motivational to see a lower number on the scale!!! Especially as my totm is starting in two days and I'm usually up 2-3lbs at this point.

Hopefully by Saturday (how I'm going to manage to stay away from the scale that long I don't know LOL) I will see actual fat loss!

Congrats It takes me about 3-4 days to be in Ketosis and start burning actual fat. That is when I feel by best on Stillmans. I usually have to lose about 10 pounds before I see a difference but I am have a lot of weight to lose.
Keep with it. I know a lot of us hit a hard spot day 2 and 3. Don't let it get to you.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zenpeacock
Stats: 205/198/150
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Restart 1/2/14
Quote:
Down 2lbs this morning!

Hey, 2lbs is 2 lbs! Good for you! Just keep drinking that water, and you'll see big changes. I've been on plan since 10/3 and I've lost about 12lbs. (I keep waivering up and down the last few days due to TOM)

My body shape has changed so quickly, I'm shocked. I've went down a full size in pants - and I think within a week or two I could go down another size. My face has thinned, my waist has returned, and my arms and legs are already looking longer and leaner. I do walk a couple times a week and use 5lb weights for upper body strength. Other than that, I'm pretty sedentary.

I'll admit to getting very, very bored with my food choices lately. Maybe it's TOM, maybe I'm just uber bored. Either way, I've been able to mix things up a wee bit without any negative effects. For example, I've allowed a cup of Krogers Carbmaster yogurt once or twice a week in the morning. (60 calories, 1.5g fat, 4g carbs). I've never been a yogurt person - but for some reason it's delicious to me now, and a cup is very filling. And I've used a triangle of laughing cow cheese (herb&garlic flavor) as a mix-in with my eggs or ground turkey on the weekend. Just these little "indulgences" have made it easier for me to keep moving forward.

Other than that I'm on plan and the results are definitely worth the boredom. I'm in ketosis constantly, so I'm feeling like a little fat-burner.

Maintaining the loss, when I'm done losing, is in the forefront of my mind these days. I think keeping track of carbs, fat and calories is going to be a lifelong requirement for me. If it means I get to stay slim and healthy, it's no problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
We have that CarbMaster "yogurt" here in Portland at Fred Meyer, and I love it!! - and if you want to make it even more decadent, add a little heavy whipping cream on top. Sometimes I go really crazy and add a few cocoa-roast almonds. It totally kills any craving I have for an ice cream sundae.

I will be doing this after my current "jumpstart" phase is complete.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #325
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Congrats It takes me about 3-4 days to be in Ketosis and start burning actual fat. That is when I feel by best on Stillmans. I usually have to lose about 10 pounds before I see a difference but I am have a lot of weight to lose.
Keep with it. I know a lot of us hit a hard spot day 2 and 3. Don't let it get to you.
Thank you! I've already sailed through day 2 without much problems - hopefully tomorrow will seem as easy lol! I definitely feel motivated now so it'll take a lot to stop me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeacock View Post
Hey, 2lbs is 2 lbs! Good for you! Just keep drinking that water, and you'll see big changes. I've been on plan since 10/3 and I've lost about 12lbs. (I keep waivering up and down the last few days due to TOM)

My body shape has changed so quickly, I'm shocked. I've went down a full size in pants - and I think within a week or two I could go down another size. My face has thinned, my waist has returned, and my arms and legs are already looking longer and leaner. I do walk a couple times a week and use 5lb weights for upper body strength. Other than that, I'm pretty sedentary.

I'll admit to getting very, very bored with my food choices lately. Maybe it's TOM, maybe I'm just uber bored. Either way, I've been able to mix things up a wee bit without any negative effects. For example, I've allowed a cup of Krogers Carbmaster yogurt once or twice a week in the morning. (60 calories, 1.5g fat, 4g carbs). I've never been a yogurt person - but for some reason it's delicious to me now, and a cup is very filling. And I've used a triangle of laughing cow cheese (herb&garlic flavor) as a mix-in with my eggs or ground turkey on the weekend. Just these little "indulgences" have made it easier for me to keep moving forward.

Other than that I'm on plan and the results are definitely worth the boredom. I'm in ketosis constantly, so I'm feeling like a little fat-burner.

Maintaining the loss, when I'm done losing, is in the forefront of my mind these days. I think keeping track of carbs, fat and calories is going to be a lifelong requirement for me. If it means I get to stay slim and healthy, it's no problem.
Congrats on the loss! I can imagine becoming bored with the food - I'm only on day two and already I start smelling hot-dogs and other food which I can't have LOL! At least for now as I try to stick to as lean meat as possible to get the biggest possible weightloss. As I get to the point where you are (about 3 weeks in) I'm pretty sure I'll also feel the need to add stuff to my diet just so that I remain sane. Eggs are nice but after a while it really does make you want to punch someone

I really want to lose 10lbs by Nov 5th but I'll take anything I can get. I haven't lost weight in so long so any number down on the scale is a victory.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm only on day two and already I start smelling hot-dogs and other food which I can't have LOL! At least for now as I try to stick to as lean meat as possible to get the biggest possible weightloss. As I get to the point where you are (about 3 weeks in) I'm pretty sure I'll also feel the need to add stuff to my diet just so that I remain sane. Eggs are nice but after a while it really does make you want to punch someone

I really want to lose 10lbs by Nov 5th but I'll take anything I can get. I haven't lost weight in so long so any number down on the scale is a victory.
I found after being on stills awhile that the smell of some food I used to like actually started to bother me, so hopefully the same will happen to you!

I think if you stick with that plan you can reach that goal! Making small goals to get to the big goal always helped me stay on plan because it made things seem more attainable.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #327
Senior LCF Member

congratuations to everyone!!!!! we are all doing so well. today was a low carb, high protein vegan day. don't anyone scold me (because this works so well for me!!)

I ate soy protein shakes all day long. i mix with water, a little splenda and it fills me up. i had four so far today. it's zero fat, zero carbs (except for the splenda), vegan and high protein. i feel wonderful!! this shake is actually my favorite food in the world, because it always stops my hunger. i know all the literature out there about soy being bad for you thyroid, but it doesn't affect me that way.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
congratuations to everyone!!!!! we are all doing so well. today was a low carb, high protein vegan day. don't anyone scold me (because this works so well for me!!)

I ate soy protein shakes all day long. i mix with water, a little splenda and it fills me up. i had four so far today. it's zero fat, zero carbs (except for the splenda), vegan and high protein. i feel wonderful!! this shake is actually my favorite food in the world, because it always stops my hunger. i know all the literature out there about soy being bad for you thyroid, but it doesn't affect me that way.
Shreem, just a cautionary tale...soy did not affect me either, until it did. My thyroid went hypo on me. You might want to go slow on consuming that much soy protein...

Just prior to the symptoms of hypothyroidism started, I had been doing a medically supervised fasting program where the main ingredients were soy protein shakes & other supplements (like soup) where the protein components were all soy. My doc said it is very possible that intake of excessive soy protein led to the breakdown in my thyroid action. Basically my thyroid no longer produces enough thyroid hormone, so I'm now on life-long supplementation.Doc's explanation is that there's components in soy proteins that mimic the action of human hormones, and our bodies can "read" these hormones as being our own...not in a good way, but in an over-dose/bad-medicine way.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #329
Junior LCF Member

Day 3, down another .8lbs. I'll take it!

I'm feeling really nauseous today... Is that common at this stage with the diet? The idea of food just makes me want to vomit.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #330
Senior LCF member

Shreem- I'd like to second what Cathy advised. I'm hypothyroid and have been told to avoid soy products, but my endo initially told me that soy isn't good for women in general--thyroid problems or not.

blondiegirl- Is it truly nausea or just loss of appetite? The latter happens frequently, but I've not experienced the former. Could it be any particular item on your menu?

Keep in mind that the most important thing is to stay hydrated at any time when we feel we can't eat--broth, tea, water. My doctor advised those sports drinks because they help with electrolyte balance (which is actually often the reason for nausea--loss of sodium or potassium). They come in zero calorie versions, which is what I use.
Closed Thread