Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #271
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,907
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hi y'all.......hugs all around !

Leo, your post on your relationship was very reflective and inspiring. Thank you for posting.

"I am changing and getting stronger everyday. I know one day I will look back on this and ask myself why it took so long to wake up. Right now it is day by day'

Bratty that is WOW.

Mar ! You're growing a ranch up there ! Yay on the cat !

Zen, YAY on the cheekbones! Here's to more bones showing up soon !

Cat, you jetsetter, you, enjoy !


sorry to be so awol but between work and keeping my mom sane it's busy out there. Unfortunately there are a lot of things to be done after losing a partner, and mom needs to vent each night when I call. So, everyone is pretty stressed out.

Still, every day is a gift.
__________________
Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!
If you can read this thank a teacher; since you are reading it in English, thank a veteran.
“Enjoy the little things, for some day you may look back and realize they were the big things” – Robert Brault
CCGirl is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #272
Junior LCF Member
 
janejane40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 15
Gallery: janejane40
Stats: 217/211/145, 5'6", 40 yo
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 10/11/12
You are all doing so well, congrats!
I lost 6 lbs last week, and gained it all back Friday and Saturday.
So far this week, I'm down 4 again, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have re-lost a total of 6. I'm so disappointed in myself! With the weekend looming, I'm stressed out! We have a wedding to go to, so I can't control what they'll serve me...and my husband's birthday dinner is this weekend also (homemade chicken pot pies). I feel really good and energetic the way I'm eating right now and do not want to even go to the wedding or have dinner with my husband's family because I don't want to go off track again. I feel like I will be rude if I don't eat anything the bride and groom have paid for me to eat when I rsvp'd (and I'm not taking my own dinner to a reception HAHA)...and I don't want my husband's family to think I'm rude not eating with the family for his birthday (it's not at our house or I would just prepare something different for myself). Any advice? I'm very stressed about this because I do NOT want my hard work to be in vain again this week!
janejane40 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
hi y'all.......hugs all around !

sorry to be so awol but between work and keeping my mom sane it's busy out there. Unfortunately there are a lot of things to be done after losing a partner, and mom needs to vent each night when I call. So, everyone is pretty stressed out.

Still, every day is a gift.
Good to see you. You are so right. Everyday is a gift.I hope things get better soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejane40 View Post
You are all doing so well, congrats!
I lost 6 lbs last week, and gained it all back Friday and Saturday.
So far this week, I'm down 4 again, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have re-lost a total of 6. I'm so disappointed in myself! With the weekend looming, I'm stressed out! We have a wedding to go to, so I can't control what they'll serve me...and my husband's birthday dinner is this weekend also (homemade chicken pot pies). I feel really good and energetic the way I'm eating right now and do not want to even go to the wedding or have dinner with my husband's family because I don't want to go off track again. I feel like I will be rude if I don't eat anything the bride and groom have paid for me to eat when I rsvp'd (and I'm not taking my own dinner to a reception HAHA)...and I don't want my husband's family to think I'm rude not eating with the family for his birthday (it's not at our house or I would just prepare something different for myself). Any advice? I'm very stressed about this because I do NOT want my hard work to be in vain again this week!
Honestly if it were me I would stay on plan except for the wedding dinner. You can turn that right back around the next day. Sometimes we are put in food situations that we can not control. Ride it out and find the strength in you to get right back on. Don't let it turn into a binge fest.
If you really feel you have to eat because of your husbands family then keep your portion control in check. You may not be in ketosis anymore but you won't gain actual fat from it.
I have learned that lessen over and over again. I am hoping I have finally learned it. Losing the same 20 pounds for 5 years is what I have done.
__________________
~Ashley

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
I have been on plan for 2 weeks. The last couple of days were rough so I ate a lot of on plan protein but other than that I have been good.

Week one loss-9.2 lbs
Week two loss- 1.6

I am 2 pounds heavier than I was on Sunday because of the extra food. I am hoping it is just bloat.

I plan to eat cleaner this week to see better numbers.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #275
Junior LCF Member
 
janejane40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 15
Gallery: janejane40
Stats: 217/211/145, 5'6", 40 yo
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 10/11/12
Thank you! I'm sure at the wedding they will serve some kind of meat or poultry, I can always just eat that part and skip the sides. I just told my husband I'm stressed about the weekend, and he said he will be happy to grill me up a steak at his mom's for his birthday dinner (since it's his parents' house I'd feel weird doing that myself, but he won't!)so I can sit down with the family for dinner and not feel anxious or upset or guilty. I think that's the answer! That is what I do...lose, gain, lose gain...I'm tired of it! I'm done!
janejane40 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #276
Junior LCF Member
 
janejane40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 15
Gallery: janejane40
Stats: 217/211/145, 5'6", 40 yo
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 10/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I have been on plan for 2 weeks. The last couple of days were rough so I ate a lot of on plan protein but other than that I have been good.

Week one loss-9.2 lbs
Week two loss- 1.6

I am 2 pounds heavier than I was on Sunday because of the extra food. I am hoping it is just bloat.

I plan to eat cleaner this week to see better numbers.
You are doing really good! That's a nice total for 2 weeks!
janejane40 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!
 
catne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Smack dab in the Middle
Posts: 1,826
Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejane40 View Post
You are all doing so well, congrats!
I lost 6 lbs last week, and gained it all back Friday and Saturday.
So far this week, I'm down 4 again, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have re-lost a total of 6. I'm so disappointed in myself! With the weekend looming, I'm stressed out! We have a wedding to go to, so I can't control what they'll serve me...and my husband's birthday dinner is this weekend also (homemade chicken pot pies). I feel really good and energetic the way I'm eating right now and do not want to even go to the wedding or have dinner with my husband's family because I don't want to go off track again. I feel like I will be rude if I don't eat anything the bride and groom have paid for me to eat when I rsvp'd (and I'm not taking my own dinner to a reception HAHA)...and I don't want my husband's family to think I'm rude not eating with the family for his birthday (it's not at our house or I would just prepare something different for myself). Any advice? I'm very stressed about this because I do NOT want my hard work to be in vain again this week!
Here's our strategy for getting through this kind of weekend. First, eat a BIG meal before going to the wedding reception (or between the wedding and the reception if there's a long break between the two.) Do the same just before going to the in-laws. And then, practice being a "picky eater". Just eat whatever is closest to being "on plan". Pick the chicken out of the pot-pie. Scrape off as much gravy as possible...skip the veggies unless there's some really low carb stuff like green beans (but def. skip potatoes, corn & carrots!) No B-day cake (or ONE bite if you must) I take a snack baggy with 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate & a handful of macadamia nuts for my special dessert. When the "call of the cake" gets to be too much, I slowly eat my dark choc. & macs...fills the need to share in the sweets but still very low carb treat.

We just spent a weekend in a hotel in KC with 2 meals at restaurants visiting friends & relatives,and a wedding/reception. At the restaurants we could of course order Atkins-legal steak & salad meals. The wedding was in the afternoon, with a brief reception at the church (sandwiches/cold buffet) followed by a drinking-party with more food at the bride's parents home. So we picked the meat & cheese off the sandwich & ate the veggies from the relish tray...no cake. And then there was about an hour break from the end of the dry reception at the church until the evening festivities started at the bride's house...so we went to a nearby Chili's and filled up on steak! We were in and out of there in less than an hour on a Saturday night (we didn't dither with the menu...ordered immediately when the waitress showed up at our table: ice water, ribeye with broccoli as the side.) At the bride's house, we each had one glass of dry white wine (beer & wine were the choices, but none of the beer was low carb.) We also stuck with dry wine visiting friends & at the restaurant meals with friends. We also take mio flavorings with us when we know hard liquor will be available...we'll get a shot of rum or shot of tequila in a cocktail-glass full of ice water, and flavor with mio for our own LC cocktails (mango-peach Mio is delish with rum...lemonade MIO is fabulous with tequila.) Or we get a rum & diet coke.

Here's the thing...a wedding reception and birthday party are really, truly NOT about the food. Those of us with weight issues tend to zero in on the food at these things, but that is not really what we're attending. If you go to a Food Festival, it's about the food...but you're not going to a food fest...you are going to a birthday party and a wedding. These are about celebrating happy occasions with people we love. Ask skinny people why they go to birthday parties & wedding receptions. They invariably answer "to party" or "to have fun with my friends & relatives" They don't focus on the FOOD there...they focus on the PEOPLE there.

The vast majority of people actually will not even notice that you're not eating...or they will think you're a picky eater if you leave food on your plate. So what. And don't worry about what the bride paid for the food. If it's a buffet, rest assured someone else will take 2-3 servings to balance out you not taking one. If it's a plated meal, look around you & find a teenage boy: he will GLADLY take anything on your plate you don't want to eat (believe me, I've done this...kids I just met. You're all "family" at a reception.)

And if all else fails, you can always claim a mildly upset stomach for the day (and it won't be a lie because carbs make you sick, right? Sick of the excess weight, lol.)

Just know, if is possible to get through a party weekend without totally blowing your diet...and to have a great time, too. Just re-set your expectations. Plan your time.
__________________
Cathy from Nebraska (and Florida!)

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 10-17-2012 at 07:29 AM..
catne is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #278
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejane40 View Post
Thank you! I'm sure at the wedding they will serve some kind of meat or poultry, I can always just eat that part and skip the sides. I just told my husband I'm stressed about the weekend, and he said he will be happy to grill me up a steak at his mom's for his birthday dinner (since it's his parents' house I'd feel weird doing that myself, but he won't!)so I can sit down with the family for dinner and not feel anxious or upset or guilty. I think that's the answer! That is what I do...lose, gain, lose gain...I'm tired of it! I'm done!
That is perfect. I'm glad the hubby can grill you up a steak.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Here's our strategy for getting through this kind of weekend. First, eat a BIG meal before going to the wedding reception (or between the wedding and the reception if there's a long break between the two.) Do the same just before going to the in-laws. And then, practice being a "picky eater". Just eat whatever is closest to being "on plan". Pick the chicken out of the pot-pie. Scrape off as much gravy as possible...skip the veggies unless there's some really low carb stuff like green beans (but def. skip potatoes, corn & carrots!) No B-day cake (or ONE bite if you must) I take a snack baggy with 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate & a handful of macadamia nuts for my special dessert. When the "call of the cake" gets to be too much, I slowly eat my dark choc. & macs...fills the need to share in the sweets but still very low carb treat.

We just spent a weekend in a hotel in KC with 2 meals at restaurants visiting friends & relatives,and a wedding/reception. At the restaurants we could of course order Atkins-legal steak & salad meals. The wedding was in the afternoon, with a brief reception at the church (sandwiches/cold buffet) followed by a drinking-party with more food at the bride's parents home. So we picked the meat & cheese off the sandwich & ate the veggies from the relish tray...no cake. And then there was about an hour break from the end of the dry reception at the church until the evening festivities started at the bride's house...so we went to a nearby Chili's and filled up on steak! We were in and out of there in less than an hour on a Saturday night (we didn't dither with the menu...ordered immediately when the waitress showed up at our table: ice water, ribeye with broccoli as the side.) At the bride's house, we each had one glass of dry white wine (beer & wine were the choices, but none of the beer was low carb.) We also stuck with dry wine visiting friends & at the restaurant meals with friends. We also take mio flavorings with us when we know hard liquor will be available...we'll get a shot of rum or shot of tequila in a cocktail-glass full of ice water, and flavor with mio for our own LC cocktails (mango-peach Mio is delish with rum...lemonade MIO is fabulous with tequila.) Or we get a rum & diet coke.

Here's the thing...a wedding reception and birthday party are really, truly NOT about the food. Those of us with weight issues tend to zero in on the food at these things, but that is not really what we're attending. If you go to a Food Festival, it's about the food...but you're not going to a food fest...you are going to a birthday party and a wedding. These are about celebrating happy occasions with people we love. Ask skinny people why they go to birthday parties & wedding receptions. They invariably answer "to party" or "to have fun with my friends & relatives" They don't focus on the FOOD there...they focus on the PEOPLE there.

The vast majority of people actually will not even notice that you're not eating...or they will think you're a picky eater if you leave food on your plate. So what. And don't worry about what the bride paid for the food. If it's a buffet, rest assured someone else will take 2-3 servings to balance out you not taking one. If it's a plated meal, look around you & find a teenage boy: he will GLADLY take anything on your plate you don't want to eat (believe me, I've done this...kids I just met. You're all "family" at a reception.)

And if all else fails, you can always claim a mildly upset stomach for the day (and it won't be a lie because carbs make you sick, right? Sick of the excess weight, lol.)

Just know, if is possible to get through a party weekend without totally blowing your diet...and to have a great time, too. Just re-set your expectations. Plan your time.
Very good ideas!
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #280
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Has anyone eaten fish daily? I have been eating a lot of Costco tilapia. Out of curiosity I looked up if it is healthy to eat that much fish. I know they do not have as much mercury as large predatory fish but they usually have some.
I also read that costco's tilapia didn't have any because of the way they are raised...

Now I am worried about mercury poisoning.

I can find information on how much an at risk person should eat but not a normal person.

How much is too much?
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member
 
zenpeacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 117
Gallery: zenpeacock
Stats: 205/198/150
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Restart 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejane40 View Post
You are all doing so well, congrats!
I lost 6 lbs last week, and gained it all back Friday and Saturday.
So far this week, I'm down 4 again, so hopefully by the end of the week I will have re-lost a total of 6. I'm so disappointed in myself! With the weekend looming, I'm stressed out! We have a wedding to go to, so I can't control what they'll serve me...and my husband's birthday dinner is this weekend also (homemade chicken pot pies). I feel really good and energetic the way I'm eating right now and do not want to even go to the wedding or have dinner with my husband's family because I don't want to go off track again. I feel like I will be rude if I don't eat anything the bride and groom have paid for me to eat when I rsvp'd (and I'm not taking my own dinner to a reception HAHA)...and I don't want my husband's family to think I'm rude not eating with the family for his birthday (it's not at our house or I would just prepare something different for myself). Any advice? I'm very stressed about this because I do NOT want my hard work to be in vain again this week!
I hear you - my niece's wedding is in 2 weeks and I'm a little concerned about the food options. It's a weekend affair and we'll be in a hotel, which thankfully has a little fridge. I'm there to celebrate their union, enjoy my time with family ... not to celebrate food.

So while I have no doubt I'll have some wine, a bite or two of appetizers and I'll stick as close to Atkins style LC as possible, I'm not going to let it be a free for all. Lord knows I can do a lot of damage in 2 days...

Here's my strategy:

I'm bringing some hardboiled eggs to keep in the fridge. As well as a couple pouches of tuna. That way I can snack and eat something before we head out to dinner or the reception. Even if I do go and have a salad or some other higher fat protein, I won't eat as much if I've just swallowed an egg.

I carry a large refillable water bottle everywhere - and it's coming with me. I know the night before the event there will be some partying, so I'll prepare by ensuring I still get all my water in before, during and after. I'll probably bring along a small bottle of vodka and some club soda so I can still imbibe a little.

I log all my food and drinks into an online tracker, which is a huge help. If it's something I can't log easily, I take a moment to decide if I really want to eat it.

Other than that, I plan on dancing off any extra calories that end up in my mouth at the reception. I just bought a lovely royal blue wrap dress that's rather figure-hugging ... and I want it to still fit after the event.

Go and have a good time! Don't obsess! Choose your "cheats" wisely and just start fresh the next day. Your'e supposed to have FUN at weddings!
zenpeacock is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #282
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mar922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,262
Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
I have been on stills for a week now and normally after a week I have lost 7-19 pounds and then I lose 3-5 pounds the following weeks.

I have only lost 3 pounds this week.... I don't even know what I did wrong I haven't been having too much extra fat or tons of sweetener , I have had some but not any more than normal I have been drinking tons of water, not really any extra salt, I make my own food so no hidden carbs, I have been getting enough sleep.... I just don't understand and its frustrating because now I am worried about slow losses and I almost wanna go off plan for the weekend and back on again after to see if that helps but I also want to fit into my old clothes as soon as possible.

I need ideas as to what to do or whats going on.
Mar922 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,907
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Cat, your point about events not being about food are spot on ! Focus on the joy of the event. Eat what YOU want to eat.

Mar you've been losing pretty steadily, maybe it's time for your body to take a break ?

Brat, ask any Inuit, three times a day fish okay. BUT, theirs is wild caught. Which does have merc.

the authority on safe seafood here:

Seafood Watch Program | A Consumer's Guide to Sustainable Seafood | Monterey Bay Aquarium


Jen, the day is the important thing here. The people you love. Like the song says, you're gonna miss this.........


CCGirl is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #284
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mar922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,262
Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post

Mar you've been losing pretty steadily, maybe it's time for your body to take a break ?

Brat, ask any Inuit, three times a day fish okay. BUT, theirs is wild caught.


Yeah I guess your right, I just want to lose faster cuz it's so strict.

Also as the only Inuk on this board as far as i know I can say yes we eat a lot of fish and it's fairly safe but the water is cleaner up north and the larger preditory fish which are higher in mercury are harder to catch
And now a lot of Inuk also have a more southern diet still way more protein than the rest of us eat and more hunted natural food...
Speaking of all this... No wonder stills works so well for me it's in my blood! Haha
Mar922 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #285
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Cat, your point about events not being about food are spot on ! Focus on the joy of the event. Eat what YOU want to eat.

Mar you've been losing pretty steadily, maybe it's time for your body to take a break ?

Brat, ask any Inuit, three times a day fish okay. BUT, theirs is wild caught. Which does have merc.

the authority on safe seafood here:

Seafood Watch Program | A Consumer's Guide to Sustainable Seafood | Monterey Bay Aquarium


Jen, the day is the important thing here. The people you love. Like the song says, you're gonna miss this.........


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
Yeah I guess your right, I just want to lose faster cuz it's so strict.

Also as the only Inuk on this board as far as i know I can say yes we eat a lot of fish and it's fairly safe but the water is cleaner up north and the larger preditory fish which are higher in mercury are harder to catch
And now a lot of Inuk also have a more southern diet still way more protein than the rest of us eat and more hunted natural food...
Speaking of all this... No wonder stills works so well for me it's in my blood! Haha
Thank you! I won't fee so paranoid eating it once a day then. I eat tilapia for breakfast instead of eggs. It is a nice change from turkey burgers too.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #286
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 660
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Here's our strategy for getting through this kind of weekend. First, eat a BIG meal before going to the wedding reception (or between the wedding and the reception if there's a long break between the two.) Do the same just before going to the in-laws. And then, practice being a "picky eater". Just eat whatever is closest to being "on plan". Pick the chicken out of the pot-pie. Scrape off as much gravy as possible...skip the veggies unless there's some really low carb stuff like green beans (but def. skip potatoes, corn & carrots!) No B-day cake (or ONE bite if you must) I take a snack baggy with 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate & a handful of macadamia nuts for my special dessert. When the "call of the cake" gets to be too much, I slowly eat my dark choc. & macs...fills the need to share in the sweets but still very low carb treat.

We just spent a weekend in a hotel in KC with 2 meals at restaurants visiting friends & relatives,and a wedding/reception. At the restaurants we could of course order Atkins-legal steak & salad meals. The wedding was in the afternoon, with a brief reception at the church (sandwiches/cold buffet) followed by a drinking-party with more food at the bride's parents home. So we picked the meat & cheese off the sandwich & ate the veggies from the relish tray...no cake. And then there was about an hour break from the end of the dry reception at the church until the evening festivities started at the bride's house...so we went to a nearby Chili's and filled up on steak! We were in and out of there in less than an hour on a Saturday night (we didn't dither with the menu...ordered immediately when the waitress showed up at our table: ice water, ribeye with broccoli as the side.) At the bride's house, we each had one glass of dry white wine (beer & wine were the choices, but none of the beer was low carb.) We also stuck with dry wine visiting friends & at the restaurant meals with friends. We also take mio flavorings with us when we know hard liquor will be available...we'll get a shot of rum or shot of tequila in a cocktail-glass full of ice water, and flavor with mio for our own LC cocktails (mango-peach Mio is delish with rum...lemonade MIO is fabulous with tequila.) Or we get a rum & diet coke.

Here's the thing...a wedding reception and birthday party are really, truly NOT about the food. Those of us with weight issues tend to zero in on the food at these things, but that is not really what we're attending. If you go to a Food Festival, it's about the food...but you're not going to a food fest...you are going to a birthday party and a wedding. These are about celebrating happy occasions with people we love. Ask skinny people why they go to birthday parties & wedding receptions. They invariably answer "to party" or "to have fun with my friends & relatives" They don't focus on the FOOD there...they focus on the PEOPLE there.

The vast majority of people actually will not even notice that you're not eating...or they will think you're a picky eater if you leave food on your plate. So what. And don't worry about what the bride paid for the food. If it's a buffet, rest assured someone else will take 2-3 servings to balance out you not taking one. If it's a plated meal, look around you & find a teenage boy: he will GLADLY take anything on your plate you don't want to eat (believe me, I've done this...kids I just met. You're all "family" at a reception.)

And if all else fails, you can always claim a mildly upset stomach for the day (and it won't be a lie because carbs make you sick, right? Sick of the excess weight, lol.)

Just know, if is possible to get through a party weekend without totally blowing your diet...and to have a great time, too. Just re-set your expectations. Plan your time.
Once again Cathy with a
Angelstill is offline  
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #287
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 660
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
I lost 4 lbs in New York City even off of Stillman's QWL plan . I paid attention to what I ate no careless mindless indulges sheesh it was a war between my mind and my taste buds (Staying away from unhealthy sugars is difficult ) .... Incorporating walking burns off calories tremendously and I did plenty of that .... I am down another lb today and with the cooler weather upoun us here in P.A I am much more inclined to walk longer .... Yoga class is good for muscle strength and the stretching has been helping me with my lower back .... Instead of ground lean turkey as previously, I have been eating lean ground beef for a change and still losing .... I believe the increase in movement and being less sedentary has helped along with a low carb lifestyle .... As for food being a bad relationship oh, if only food was a an an abusive boyfriend his sorry bum would be kicked to the curb and I would move on .... However; I cannot break up with food if so I could not live .... And if it were a relationship I am the one who abuses food .... Food is inanimate and I make the choices not food and when I abuse food I abuse myself physically and emotionally .... I am not perfect a whoops happens however, the positive in that negative is that I get back on the wagon dust myself off no matter how many number of whoops occur .... also, bratty mentioned losing the same 20 lbs over and over again well, Ashley give yourself some credit you are back on the wagon and even if you fight those 20 lbs over and over till you get it right at least you did not give up .... CC everyday is a gift !!!! and a gift no matter how big or small should always be taken with appreciation .... I came along way since I joined LCF in April I am not going back to that unhealthy frumpy self .... that is my motivation that keeps me dusting myself off to get to that much healthier leaner me .... Good luck everyone !!!!
__________________
I'd rather be hated for who I am , Than loved for who I am not -Kurt Cobain Christine


Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !

Last edited by Angelstill; 10-18-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Angelstill is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,907
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
fly high Angel, sounds like you've got your wings !
CCGirl is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #289
Junior LCF Member
 
janejane40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 15
Gallery: janejane40
Stats: 217/211/145, 5'6", 40 yo
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 10/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Here's our strategy for getting through this kind of weekend. First, eat a BIG meal before going to the wedding reception (or between the wedding and the reception if there's a long break between the two.) Do the same just before going to the in-laws. And then, practice being a "picky eater". Just eat whatever is closest to being "on plan". Pick the chicken out of the pot-pie. Scrape off as much gravy as possible...skip the veggies unless there's some really low carb stuff like green beans (but def. skip potatoes, corn & carrots!) No B-day cake (or ONE bite if you must) I take a snack baggy with 2 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa dark chocolate & a handful of macadamia nuts for my special dessert. When the "call of the cake" gets to be too much, I slowly eat my dark choc. & macs...fills the need to share in the sweets but still very low carb treat.

We just spent a weekend in a hotel in KC with 2 meals at restaurants visiting friends & relatives,and a wedding/reception. At the restaurants we could of course order Atkins-legal steak & salad meals. The wedding was in the afternoon, with a brief reception at the church (sandwiches/cold buffet) followed by a drinking-party with more food at the bride's parents home. So we picked the meat & cheese off the sandwich & ate the veggies from the relish tray...no cake. And then there was about an hour break from the end of the dry reception at the church until the evening festivities started at the bride's house...so we went to a nearby Chili's and filled up on steak! We were in and out of there in less than an hour on a Saturday night (we didn't dither with the menu...ordered immediately when the waitress showed up at our table: ice water, ribeye with broccoli as the side.) At the bride's house, we each had one glass of dry white wine (beer & wine were the choices, but none of the beer was low carb.) We also stuck with dry wine visiting friends & at the restaurant meals with friends. We also take mio flavorings with us when we know hard liquor will be available...we'll get a shot of rum or shot of tequila in a cocktail-glass full of ice water, and flavor with mio for our own LC cocktails (mango-peach Mio is delish with rum...lemonade MIO is fabulous with tequila.) Or we get a rum & diet coke.

Here's the thing...a wedding reception and birthday party are really, truly NOT about the food. Those of us with weight issues tend to zero in on the food at these things, but that is not really what we're attending. If you go to a Food Festival, it's about the food...but you're not going to a food fest...you are going to a birthday party and a wedding. These are about celebrating happy occasions with people we love. Ask skinny people why they go to birthday parties & wedding receptions. They invariably answer "to party" or "to have fun with my friends & relatives" They don't focus on the FOOD there...they focus on the PEOPLE there.

The vast majority of people actually will not even notice that you're not eating...or they will think you're a picky eater if you leave food on your plate. So what. And don't worry about what the bride paid for the food. If it's a buffet, rest assured someone else will take 2-3 servings to balance out you not taking one. If it's a plated meal, look around you & find a teenage boy: he will GLADLY take anything on your plate you don't want to eat (believe me, I've done this...kids I just met. You're all "family" at a reception.)

And if all else fails, you can always claim a mildly upset stomach for the day (and it won't be a lie because carbs make you sick, right? Sick of the excess weight, lol.)

Just know, if is possible to get through a party weekend without totally blowing your diet...and to have a great time, too. Just re-set your expectations. Plan your time.
Such a wonderful post, thank you so much!
janejane40 is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #290
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I lost 4 lbs in New York City even off of Stillman's QWL plan . I paid attention to what I ate no careless mindless indulges sheesh it was a war between my mind and my taste buds (Staying away from unhealthy sugars is difficult ) .... Incorporating walking burns off calories tremendously and I did plenty of that .... I am down another lb today and with the cooler weather upoun us here in P.A I am much more inclined to walk longer .... Yoga class is good for muscle strength and the stretching has been helping me with my lower back .... Instead of ground lean turkey as previously, I have been eating lean ground beef for a change and still losing .... I believe the increase in movement and being less sedentary has helped along with a low carb lifestyle .... As for food being a bad relationship oh, if only food was a an an abusive boyfriend his sorry bum would be kicked to the curb and I would move on .... However; I cannot break up with food if so I could not live .... And if it were a relationship I am the one who abuses food .... Food is inanimate and I make the choices not food and when I abuse food I abuse myself physically and emotionally .... I am not perfect a whoops happens however, the positive in that negative is that I get back on the wagon dust myself off no matter how many number of whoops occur .... also, bratty mentioned losing the same 20 lbs over and over again well, Ashley give yourself some credit you are back on the wagon and even if you fight those 20 lbs over and over till you get it right at least you did not give up .... CC everyday is a gift !!!! and a gift no matter how big or small should always be taken with appreciation .... I came along way since I joined LCF in April I am not going back to that unhealthy frumpy self .... that is my motivation that keeps me dusting myself off to get to that much healthier leaner me .... Good luck everyone !!!!
You have it figured out for YOU and you are getting better. The trip to NY was proof. Way to go!
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member
 
zenpeacock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 117
Gallery: zenpeacock
Stats: 205/198/150
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Restart 1/2/14
I've been so good lately, totally on plan. Last night, after a simple dinner of baked tilapia filets, I went into the pantry to get food for the cats. I came out with a jar of peanut butter. All natural peanut butter, mind you.

I found the smallest spoon in the house and dipped it into that jar of said peanut butter more than twice. Thankfully, I stopped myself before things got out of hand. Yes, the cats did get fed, eventually.

Checked the calendar this morning. Of course it's just about TOM. Guess it could've been a lot worse. I don't even typically love peanut butter ... weird ... but I totally did last night.

This morning I was still in ketosis and I'm up 1lb from yesterday. That could be PMS or Peanut Butter induced. Either way, I'm not going to fret. It is what it is.

There, I've come clean. Whew! That's better. Moving on!
zenpeacock is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member
 
CoCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sunny Wenatchee, Wa
Posts: 129
Gallery: CoCo
Stats: Ex: 175/157/135
WOE: QWL
Start Date: June 11th 2012
hi everybody,
I've been MIA for the last few days. I have so much going on until mid Nov.
I'm still doing stills and losing. I have the flu, started getting it yesterday.
Feeling really crummy! My hubby keeps trying to get me to eat off stills, but I don't feel much like eating at all right now.
CoCo is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 660
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
fly high Angel, sounds like you've got your wings !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
You have it figured out for YOU and you are getting better. The trip to NY was proof. Way to go!
Thank you ! We all here at LCF know it is not easy ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 660
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeacock View Post
I've been so good lately, totally on plan. Last night, after a simple dinner of baked tilapia filets, I went into the pantry to get food for the cats. I came out with a jar of peanut butter. All natural peanut butter, mind you.

I found the smallest spoon in the house and dipped it into that jar of said peanut butter more than twice. Thankfully, I stopped myself before things got out of hand. Yes, the cats did get fed, eventually.

Checked the calendar this morning. Of course it's just about TOM. Guess it could've been a lot worse. I don't even typically love peanut butter ... weird ... but I totally did last night.

This morning I was still in ketosis and I'm up 1lb from yesterday. That could be PMS or Peanut Butter induced. Either way, I'm not going to fret. It is what it is.

There, I've come clean. Whew! That's better. Moving on!
(TOM ) always makes it hard for me to resist the urge for those nasty carbs but you did well actually very well natural peanut butter may not be Still's however; it is high in protein .... Once you stick to your guns and resist the urge during (TOM) the big whoosh drops all that bloat and perhaps a friend or two of that extra water weight ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo View Post
hi everybody,
I've been MIA for the last few days. I have so much going on until mid Nov.
I'm still doing stills and losing. I have the flu, started getting it yesterday.
Feeling really crummy! My hubby keeps trying to get me to eat off stills, but I don't feel much like eating at all right now.
Awww get rest and drink plenty of water .... feel better soon ! CoCo
Angelstill is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 660
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
I have been on plan and it is going pretty well .... I switched my high protein meats to keep things a lil more creative .... ground beef extra lean is my new friend on the plan .... I love the shrimps however if I cannot have the cocktail sauce in large amounts it is boring .... I am glad to see so many determined Stillminites here very inspiring !
Angelstill is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,907
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
{{{{{{{{{Coco}}}}}}}}} hug


funally I'm out of cheese and lettuce......gotta slim down for Mum
CCGirl is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #297
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
My fun sized people are up stairs eating pepperoni pizza... I would kill to eat a piece! But I am not. I am behaving. I ate my turkey burger and drank 20 ounces of fluid. I couldn't fit pizza in my stomach if I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeacock View Post
I've been so good lately, totally on plan. Last night, after a simple dinner of baked tilapia filets, I went into the pantry to get food for the cats. I came out with a jar of peanut butter. All natural peanut butter, mind you.

I found the smallest spoon in the house and dipped it into that jar of said peanut butter more than twice. Thankfully, I stopped myself before things got out of hand. Yes, the cats did get fed, eventually.

Checked the calendar this morning. Of course it's just about TOM. Guess it could've been a lot worse. I don't even typically love peanut butter ... weird ... but I totally did last night.

This morning I was still in ketosis and I'm up 1lb from yesterday. That could be PMS or Peanut Butter induced. Either way, I'm not going to fret. It is what it is.

There, I've come clean. Whew! That's better. Moving on!
That is pretty good. When my hormones get going it is impossible to stay on plan. I have a couple of weeks until I have to worry about it.
It could have been worse. It could have been Nutella!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo View Post
hi everybody,
I've been MIA for the last few days. I have so much going on until mid Nov.
I'm still doing stills and losing. I have the flu, started getting it yesterday.
Feeling really crummy! My hubby keeps trying to get me to eat off stills, but I don't feel much like eating at all right now.
Feel better soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I have been on plan and it is going pretty well .... I switched my high protein meats to keep things a lil more creative .... ground beef extra lean is my new friend on the plan .... I love the shrimps however if I cannot have the cocktail sauce in large amounts it is boring .... I am glad to see so many determined Stillminites here very inspiring !
When I have shrimp, I make my own cocktail sauce with the reduced sugar ketchup and horseradish. That way I can make it bit more spicy, add some kick.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #298
Mim
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,285
Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good Saturday morning! I leave for Disney tomorrow after church! The thing I'm most looking forward to is getting on the plane! When I'm on the plane, what is done is done and I'll be on vacation! I will have successfully managed to get me and the two grandgirls on the plane and their very big carseats (Britax for those who know carseats) checked in. I could have packed in a carry on, but I'm using a big suitcase so I can strap one carseat on it and carry the other. I've got to park in long term parking which means we will take a shuttle to the terminal. Two little girls, two big carseats, a big suitcase and each of them have a Disney carry on - that is just for fun! Ahhhhh, getting on the plane will be wonderful! I've gained a few pounds this week. I'm not distressed about it - actually it has been interesting to see what I can eat and keep the weight fairly steady. I have high hopes for Disney - walking and staying on plan for the most part should make me a happy vacationer! See you all next week!
Mim is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #299
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern Maryland/DC Area
Posts: 1,018
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good Saturday morning! I leave for Disney tomorrow after church! The thing I'm most looking forward to is getting on the plane! When I'm on the plane, what is done is done and I'll be on vacation! I will have successfully managed to get me and the two grandgirls on the plane and their very big carseats (Britax for those who know carseats) checked in. I could have packed in a carry on, but I'm using a big suitcase so I can strap one carseat on it and carry the other. I've got to park in long term parking which means we will take a shuttle to the terminal. Two little girls, two big carseats, a big suitcase and each of them have a Disney carry on - that is just for fun! Ahhhhh, getting on the plane will be wonderful! I've gained a few pounds this week. I'm not distressed about it - actually it has been interesting to see what I can eat and keep the weight fairly steady. I have high hopes for Disney - walking and staying on plan for the most part should make me a happy vacationer! See you all next week!
I hope you have a great time! You are quite the super woman lugging all that stuff around.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!
 
catne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Smack dab in the Middle
Posts: 1,826
Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good Saturday morning! I leave for Disney tomorrow after church! The thing I'm most looking forward to is getting on the plane! When I'm on the plane, what is done is done and I'll be on vacation! I will have successfully managed to get me and the two grandgirls on the plane and their very big carseats (Britax for those who know carseats) checked in. I could have packed in a carry on, but I'm using a big suitcase so I can strap one carseat on it and carry the other. I've got to park in long term parking which means we will take a shuttle to the terminal. Two little girls, two big carseats, a big suitcase and each of them have a Disney carry on - that is just for fun! Ahhhhh, getting on the plane will be wonderful! I've gained a few pounds this week. I'm not distressed about it - actually it has been interesting to see what I can eat and keep the weight fairly steady. I have high hopes for Disney - walking and staying on plan for the most part should make me a happy vacationer! See you all next week!
Have a fabulous vacation at Disney World (My favorite vacation place, for sure. We'll be there the first weekend in November...will be my 5 visit this year Course, it's easy to do that when we're in Florida half the year.) Enjoy yourself, and we'll be here when you get back.
catne is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.