Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RaineyJ
Stats: 205/199/150 5'8"female-age 48
WOE: General LC
Start Date: 1997
Protein amount?

Recently I read about Stillman's and I think I might like to try it. I have one concern though. It seems to be all the rage in the lc world right now to eat moderate protein and high fat, but I find that this doesn't suppress my appetite like eating higher protein does. Most protein calculators tell me that I should be eating around 70g, but I can easily eat 150 - 180g or more. Is it safe to eat this much protein? I know that if you eat too much protein the excess will convert to glucose and raise your insulin levels. I also know it could be hard on someone with kidney problems, but I don't have any kidney problems. Is there any other reason that it would be bad to eat a lot of protein? Thanks!
RaineyJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I recently read the Phinney/Volek book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. In it they said that eating over 30% of calories in protein generally makes people feel really bad. not sure if this would be so true at a very low calorie level or for a fairly short time.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I wonder how individual this is? I have always agreed with the Eades about the importance of protein, and I don't track percentages, but I suspect that at least 80% of my daily calories are from protein.

I have to eat at such a low calorie level to maintain that just getting in my required protein amount (60-80g) leaves me little room for fats or carbs. And I feel great eating this way--and all my lab values are superb.

I've actually tried the 'high fat' approach and that's what makes me feel dreadful. I read some time ago that often 'senior' women to better with more moderate fat, and I certainly seem to be one of them.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote