Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Shreem - I know what you mean about there not being a one size fits all diet. I know that stillman's is what I need to feel good and lose weight. I've tried all the diets ever known to humans, and a few known only to animals! Stillman's is what works for me, and even within Stillman's I know what I can eat to maximize weight loss!
oh my gosh, Mim! you are so cute. Yes, i've tried it all too. and i laugh when you say a few only known to animals (me too).

fish works well for me-whitefish is a good one, rare beef works excellent. i have trouble with any kind of processed meats too, so i'm sure those couple things you threw in may have made the difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jazzbot
WOE: Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: Atkins 6/21/12 Stillman's 9/8/12
Carbs in Cottage Cheese

There are alot! I got the 2% cottage cheese the container say it has 7 carbs. The fat free has 8! Which is better?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

i think either is cottage cheese is fine. if i have a choice, then i pick the fat free, but that is just me. someone on this forum mentioned that stillmans is low calorie and low fat-but not necessarily as low carb like atkins. i still stay as low in my carb count as possible.

i do find that leaving all cheese out works best for me. you can experiment.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
Is there anyone that thinks that maybe there is not just one and only "system" of eating for everyone? that we are all different and we have to listen to our own bodies and eat in a way that we each feel healthiest and keeps our weight in check? In other words there is not one size fits all "diet". I know lots of people that love atkins, do well on it and stay think, satisfied.

I,for instance, was hungry all the time with that fat, developed ulta high cholesterol in just a couple months, had a leg and arm that consistently started to go numb at night. Once I got off the high fat and went back to a lower calorie/low fat and high protein way of eating--I felt healthy again. When I started atkins I was really looking for a way to eat all I wanted and still be thin. That really back fired on me. I was thin almost all my life eating a stillman's way of eating without knowing it. The best part about starting atkins and having it fail for me was that I really learned about foods and I had to did in to conciously learn what to eat to stay thin and then stick to my guns and not let other people sway me off my path to health.
TOTALLY agree there cannot possibly be a one-size-fits-all diet plan...there's just too many factors that vary with each person. Besides the generic difference (age/gender/activity level) then you have to factor in how fast you want to lose, how good you are at sticking on plan, medical conditions affecting weight loss, medications that affect weight loss...and so on. How could one plan work well for all those factors? I think the best we can do is try a plan...if it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, try something else.

Quote:
Shreem - I know what you mean about there not being a one size fits all diet. I know that stillman's is what I need to feel good and lose weight. I've tried all the diets ever known to humans, and a few known only to animals! Stillman's is what works for me, and even within Stillman's I know what I can eat to maximize weight loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbot View Post
There are alot! I got the 2% cottage cheese the container say it has 7 carbs. The fat free has 8! Which is better?
Jazzbot...I'm with Shreem. We tried eating cottage cheese at first, but found dairy stalled us out (and it was too darn hard to keep the servings reasonable, lol.) When we quit eating cottage cheese, the weight loss went much better. We pretty much just eat eggs & lean meats. About once a week we eat an Atkins-style meal (steak & salad for example) That keeps us on the straight and narrow the rest of the time. Your mileage may vary, of course.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Oh, and I was thrilled to get on the scale this AM and be back down BELOW my pre-Disney weight. Only .2 lbs under, so just a fraction of a pound, but I'll take it.

I knew the 10 lb gain was all water weight (I have chronic edema anyway, and carbs just seem to turn me into a total sponge!!!)

So I'm happy about that...back to my boring meats & losing again.

At least until this weekend. Heading back to Nebraska for a wedding, so it's going to be tricky to stay on plan all weekend with travel and family get-togethers associated with wedding. Hoping my brother (who is getting married) is still doing low-carb himself and has some LC options...he's done LC off and on for years so maybe he's "On LC" at the moment.

Hope everybody has a great Stillman's Losing week
Old 09-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hey Mim, it's all salt bloat, dogs and kraut have killer salt levels....

O Cat have a great time at the weddin'

Jazz, lots of us don't do well on the cottage cheese. Unfortunately, in fat free products you will note that the higher fat food has less carb and the lower fat foods the carbs are replaced by sugar, so it's kind of a pick your demon thing.

I am looking at EFGT for maintaining because too much protein acts like carbs and is dangerous on the organs..........
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #97
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
CC - in a billion words or less, what is EFGT?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Mim I believe what cc mean't was eat fat get thin efgt I had an ok day today .... I am not giving up .....
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Tonite is the first night I turned off the a/c it is chilly out .... I walked in the brisk air .... I am reading the Dukan
diet and he believes in eating food cold and cool showers to help the metabolism..... I may give it a try tonite a cool
shower before bed ....
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BleuSparkl81
Stats: 210/193/150 5'8
WOE: Trying Stillmans
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Fell off but ready to get back on the weight loss wagon!

Hey ladies!
So I fell off the wagon when I went on vacation to Florida. Came back and weighed in and gained 4 lbs....well I just had the hardest time getting back in the groove. I got a taste of carbs and it was very very hard to let go of them! It's now 3 weeks since I've came home and I've put on a few extra pounds! I'm over eating the food...my clothes were just getting loose and now they are normal again! So I'm putting myself back in the mind set and this time I'm sticking with it until my goal is reached!!! Just started school again so the meals might be a challenge but I won't let it get in the way of my weight loss!!! So let's try this again!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

cc: At the bottom of this post is a link to the "INCHES OFF" diet by Dr. Stillman, which is what I will be doing next. (once i get off my fear factor of such low carbs). Once you have lost all your weight on the quick weight loss way of eating, then you can move into this one. the interesting thing is that it intentionally meant to pull any left over fat from between the muscles, etc. after the all protein way of eatin.

this inches off diet does not include the high proteins in the sense of animal proteins. It appears very vegan to me. I'm heading this way of eating now and started very carefully yesterdasy.

it says to expect just a slight bounce up in pounds the first week-due to water weight, but to stick with it for 1 to 2 weeks and that water weight will come down. It's meant to reduce out of proportion body parts (if that happened while dieting). you stay on this this anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

AFter that it is' suggested to do the Stay-Slim eating plan, which is similar to South Beach.

Once you have achieved the look you want then go onto Stay-Slim eating.

Stay- Slim eating is practically identical to Phase-3 of South Beach. However with Stay-Slim eating it is recommended that you figure out what your daily “maintenance” calories are and count the calories to stay within your allowed limit just until you are familiar with calorie counts for portion sizes etc..

Dr.Stillman's ~“INCHES-OFF DIET”
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Oh, and I was thrilled to get on the scale this AM and be back down BELOW my pre-Disney weight. Only .2 lbs under, so just a fraction of a pound, but I'll take it.

I knew the 10 lb gain was all water weight (I have chronic edema anyway, and carbs just seem to turn me into a total sponge!!!)

So I'm happy about that...back to my boring meats & losing again.

At least until this weekend. Heading back to Nebraska for a wedding, so it's going to be tricky to stay on plan all weekend with travel and family get-togethers associated with wedding. Hoping my brother (who is getting married) is still doing low-carb himself and has some LC options...he's done LC off and on for years so maybe he's "On LC" at the moment.

Hope everybody has a great Stillman's Losing week
Yea Catne on that weight loss! This is a super great piece of work you did quickly. Turn down all the wedding cake. I never eat sugar anymore. I don't enjoy that carb face the next morning. I always have coffee with splenda. I pick the less harmful foods offered for the main meals and focus on fat and protein if there is nothing fat free. usually today's society provides chicken breast at meals and other items, focus on that. think ahead of the foods you might see at each meal before getting there, and make a plan of what you might eat. While traveling, just try atkins snacks. protein bar (lower fat ones exist-not atkins), protein shakes, low fat cheeses, boiled eggs made at home and put into a cooler. easy to open tuna cans. good luck at the wedding!

BleuSparkl81: way to go! proud of you for being here and doing it.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #103
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I had a wonderful day yesterday - I went to my lunch meeting and had a bit of salad. After the meeting I sat around and talked with two of my friends for an hour. I had to go buy some pants because the pants I had on were about to fall off! One of the women had a 20% off coupon for Burlington Coat Factory which she gave me. So, I went there, bought two pair of pants, a dress, and a purse. 20% coupons are dangerous! I need to start exercising. I have made a few half hearted attempts but I really need to get with it. My body is getting smaller but flabbier. Anyway, after I went shopping I had dinner with another friend. I had a glass of wine, a chicken dish with cheese and mushrooms on it, and green beans. It was wonderful. Carbs were probably very high but it is nice to eat a tasty dish and enjoy it and the company I was with! Anyway, my weight loss for the week was 1.5 pounds! Not what I wanted, but downward is downward!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
CC - in a billion words or less, what is EFGT?
Eat Fat, Get Thin........
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuSparkl81 View Post
Hey ladies!
So I fell off the wagon when I went on vacation to Florida. Came back and weighed in and gained 4 lbs....well I just had the hardest time getting back in the groove. I got a taste of carbs and it was very very hard to let go of them! It's now 3 weeks since I've came home and I've put on a few extra pounds! I'm over eating the food...my clothes were just getting loose and now they are normal again! So I'm putting myself back in the mind set and this time I'm sticking with it until my goal is reached!!! Just started school again so the meals might be a challenge but I won't let it get in the way of my weight loss!!! So let's try this again!!!!
go girl !!!!!!!
Quote:
cc: At the bottom of this post is a link to the "INCHES OFF" diet by Dr. Stillman, which is what I will be doing next. (once i get off my fear factor of such low carbs). Once you have lost all your weight on the quick weight loss way of eating, then you can move into this one. the interesting thing is that it intentionally meant to pull any left over fat from between the muscles, etc. after the all protein way of eatin.

this inches off diet does not include the high proteins in the sense of animal proteins. It appears very vegan to me. I'm heading this way of eating now and started very carefully yesterdasy.

it says to expect just a slight bounce up in pounds the first week-due to water weight, but to stick with it for 1 to 2 weeks and that water weight will come down. It's meant to reduce out of proportion body parts (if that happened while dieting). you stay on this this anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

AFter that it is' suggested to do the Stay-Slim eating plan, which is similar to South Beach.

Once you have achieved the look you want then go onto Stay-Slim eating.

Stay- Slim eating is practically identical to Phase-3 of South Beach. However with Stay-Slim eating it is recommended that you figure out what your daily “maintenance” calories are and count the calories to stay within your allowed limit just until you are familiar with calorie counts for portion sizes etc..

Dr.Stillman's ~“INCHES-OFF DIET”
hmmmm, I didn't think to look at those. EFGT is so easy. I am done with counting calories, the other plans seem so complicated.
Quote:
Good morning! I had a wonderful day yesterday - I went to my lunch meeting and had a bit of salad. After the meeting I sat around and talked with two of my friends for an hour. I had to go buy some pants because the pants I had on were about to fall off! One of the women had a 20% off coupon for Burlington Coat Factory which she gave me. So, I went there, bought two pair of pants, a dress, and a purse. 20% coupons are dangerous! I need to start exercising. I have made a few half hearted attempts but I really need to get with it. My body is getting smaller but flabbier. Anyway, after I went shopping I had dinner with another friend. I had a glass of wine, a chicken dish with cheese and mushrooms on it, and green beans. It was wonderful. Carbs were probably very high but it is nice to eat a tasty dish and enjoy it and the company I was with! Anyway, my weight loss for the week was 1.5 pounds! Not what I wanted, but downward is downward!
If there were any carbs they would be mostly fiber. Good choices !! And so happy to see you shopping for clothes YAY !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shreem, do you have a link to the Stay Slim plan ?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Shreem, do you have a link to the Stay Slim plan ?
Finding the stay slim plan for you now. listed in the book, but i've seen it online before. Be right back.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

CC: Maintenance on the Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet
The weight loss on theStillman Quick Weight Loss Diet was to be followed by a milder version of the plan called Stay Slim Eating which was for maintenance. During the Stay Slim Eating portion of the plan, you add carbohydrates and fats back into your diet slowly to determine how many carbs and how much fat you can consume without gaining weight. If you detect a 3 pound weight gain on the scale, then you will have to go back to the no carb phase again for a short period of time in order to remain trim.

STAY-SLIM EATING PLAN
Breakfast: 2 eggs 1 c. Orange juice
2 oz. Skim milk cheese black coffee or tea
black coffee or tea

Mid-morning: 1 HB egg 1 slice toast w/ 1 T. jam
Snack ½ c. cottage cheese black coffee or tea or
black coffee or tea or non-caloric beverage
non-caloric beverage

LUNCH: 4 oz. Lean hamburger Hamburger
1-2 oz. Skim milk cheese or 4 asparagus spears
½ c. cottage cheese ½ grapefruit
choice of non-caloric beverage choice of non-caloric beverage

P.M. Snack low-cal. Sugar-free gelatin 1 slice toast
Choice of non-caloric beverage 1. oz. Cottage cheese
(NO TOPPINGS ALLOWED) Choice of non-caloric beverage

DINNER: serving of bouillon soup 6 shrimps w/cocktail sauce
4-6 oz. Roasted chicken 2 lamb chops
2 oz. Skim milk cheese baked potato
Choice of non-caloric beverage spinach
Lemon meringue pie
Choice of non-caloric beverage

BEFORE low.cal.sugar-free gelatin 1 glass of skim milk
BED SNACK Choice of non-caloric beverage 2 graham crackers

LINK I FOUND ON LINE: the original poster posted the maintenance plan in the weight loss plan by mistake. this is how i first learned about it. in further posts she corrects herself. this is the link: Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet : Tips and Stalls Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

excellent overview of both plans. Quick weight loss and Maintence Plan. Remember to never allow more than 3 pounds gain while maintaining. The minute you reach that 3 pounds, back to the QWL plan.

This is a summary for The Quick Weight Loss Diet, commonly known as the Stillman Diet. He also published other diets as well, but the Quick Weight Loss Diet or QWL diet, for short, will be discussed in this summary, in addition to the Stay-Slim diet, which is also covered in his book.

The Stillman QWL-Diet was originally published in August 1968,according to the paperback copy that I have. Conflicting reports off of the web state that it was published in 1961, by Irwin Maxwell Stillman, M.D. and Samm Sinclair Baker, (who later co-wrote the Complete Diet' with Herman Tarnower and, barely credited, Jean Harris). The book not only includes the QWL diet, and Stay Slim eating, but also has over 60 additional diets for those who want a little variety. There are diets according to particular health problems, one-food diets, craver’s diet, just to name a few. Stillman was a strict carnivore, allowing his patients to eat only lean meat, poultry, eggs, and low-fat cheeses.

It was one of the first low carb diets and was very popular in its time. Even now, it is known as quick way to shed extra weight. The plan is very Low (practically nonexistent) Carbohydrate and also low fat diet, with food choices being as lean as possible, and no fats or oils to be used in preparation of meals. The main emphasis is on eating protein to lose weight. Stillman's theory in the excessive protein allowances, was that the protein molecule was so big and complex that the body requires body more energy to digest it.

There are 2 phases to this diet: First, the QWL-diet, which can be compared to the Induction phase of Atkins, however as I will show, is different in composition than Atkins. The second phase of the diet, is what Stillman refers to as stay-slim eating. This can be compared to the Maintenance phase of Atkins, though again with different foods.

The following are what is allowed on this diet( THE QUICK WEIGHT LOSS DIET:PHASE 1)
NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.
Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger.
If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed
yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat
again, but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better
off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as is
the general custom. But limit yourself to this extensive list
of high protein foods.
1. Lean meats: with all possible fat trimmed off and have it broiled, boiled, baked or smoked. No fats, butter, oil, margarine or other fats or greases in preparation of it.
2. Chicken or Turkey: With all skin removed, Broiled, roasted or baked and same rule as above in regards to preparation.
3. All Lean Fish(such as haddock, cod, flounder,perch) SEAFOOD:shrimps,scallops,lobsters,oysters,clams,cr abs,again broiled, baked or boiled... same rules apply to preparation of meats. CANNED TUNA MAY BE EATEN, BUT ONLY IF WATER PACKED.
4. EGGS: Hard-boiled preferably, but you can eat them anyway you prefer, just prepared the same as meats, that is, without any oils.
5. Cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese, pot cheese and other cheeses made with skim milk in moderation, and not made with whole milk.
6.At LEAST 8 glasses of water per day, ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to this diet (10 oz. glasses). You are also allowed, coffee, tea, and any non-caloric beverages on this diet....IN ADDITION to the water requirements.
7. BROTH, CHICKEN CONSOMME, BEEF BOULLION: Check labels for low calories, and to make sure no fats are used in preparation.
8. LOW CALORIE ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN: May use ONLY if limited to 1-2 average servings per day. No toppings allowed,
9. HERBS AND SPICES: OK if used in moderation.You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic,
cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices.
10. CATSUP, COCKTAIL SAUCES: Use in moderation IF they contain no fat! NO MAYONNAISE, SALAD DRESSINGS, NO OILS OR FATS, NOT EVEN "LIGHT" SALAD DRESSINGS.You may use Tabasco
sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces
or dressings. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no oils, no fats
11. VITAMIN-MINERAL TABLET DAILY.

The eight (10 ounce) glasses of water daily are in addition to
whatever coffee, tea and non-caloric carbonated beverages you
drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put
into motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your
body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in
its wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat. [ketone bodies].They must all be washed out of your system by water which also serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.
Note: ketone bodies are not ashes; they are the by-product
of incomplete burning of fats. Ketones are to fat as charcoal is to
wood. Ketones can be burned for fuel by your body. Most people
have feedback loops to protect against ketosis-acidosis.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT MENTIONED IN THE PROCEEDING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT. If you disregard the instructions and eat regular carbohydrates
or sugar or alcohol, you will stop burning up stored fat as
efficiently. Even one indiscretion, one mouthful of ice cream, for
example, will set you back a day or two.

You will lose the most weight on The Quick Loss Diet, most quickly,
if you eat only to satisfy your hunger pangs rather than to gratify
a desire to eat just for the pleasure of eating.

This diet has practically no residue (fiber). Therefore it is likely
that you may not have a bowel movement for a few days, although not necessarily so. In any case don't be alarmed by any such lack. [Note: extra vitamin C or milk of magnesia is helpful in some cases]

NO FOODS (NOT PERMITTED)
NO ALCOHOL
NO RICH DESSERTS
NO SOFT DRINKS CONTAINING SUGAR
NO DAIRY PRODUCTS PERMITTED OTHER THAN THE CHHESES LISTED, AND EGGS.
NO SUGAR
NO CEREALS OR PASTA PRODUCTS
NO VEGETABLES OR FRUITS OF ANY KIND
NO NON-PROTEIN FILLERS
BASICALLY IF IT IS NOT ON THE LIST OF ALLOWED FOODS FOR THE QWL-PLAN, IT IS NOT ALLOWED!

Stillman advises eating 6 meals a day as opposed to 3, for faster weight loss.
QUICK WEIGHT LOSS DIET SAMPLE MENU
Breakfast: 2 eggs,2 oz. Skim milk cheese,black coffee or tea
MIDMORNING SNACK: 1 HB egg, ½ c. cottage cheese,black coffee or tea or non-caloric beverage
DINNER: 4 oz. Lean hamburger
1-2 oz. Skim milk cheese or
½ c. cottage cheese
choice of non-caloric beverage
P.M. SNACK low-cal. Sugar-free gelatin
(NO TOPPINGS ALLOWED)
SUPPER: serving of bouillon soup
4-6 oz. Roasted chicken
2 oz. Skim milk cheese
BEFORE BED SNACK: low.cal.sugar-free gelatin,choice of non-caloric beverage

THE STAY SLIM EATING PLAN: PHASE II OF THE STILLMAN DIET:

The rules for the Stay-Slim diet are to gradually increase carbohydrates and fat portions, and watch for a 3 lb. Increase on the scale. If you see that, then go back to the QWL diet to take it off.
STAY-SLIM EATING SAMPLE MENU:
BREAKFAST: 1 c. Orange juice, black coffee or tea
MID-MORNING SNACK: 1 slice toast w/ 1 T. jam, black coffee or tea or NON-CALORIC BEVERAGE
DINNER: Hamburger, 4 asparagus spears,1/2 grapefruit, choice of non-caloric beverage
P.M. SNACK: 1 slice toast,1. oz. Cottage cheese, Choice of non-caloric beverage
SUPPER: 6 shrimps w/cocktail sauce, 2 lamb chops, baked potato,spinach, Lemon meringue pie,Choice of non-caloric beverage
BEFORE BED SNACK:1 glass of skim milk,2 graham crackers

Note: This are just sample menus. There are no restrictions on the amount of lean meats, skim milk cheeses,eggs and cottage cheese on the QWL diet. The only restriction is on the low-calorie sugar-free gelatin,1-2 average portions per day, with nothing added.
The emphasis on The Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet is predominantly protein, with no carbohydrates, and no added fat, choosing lean meats, and no oils used in preparation thereof. The cheeses allowed are of the skim milk variety. He also advocates exercise as a means to quicken weight loss, and sufficient sleep for the body to rest.

The QWL diet does not offer any deterring from the ALLOWED FOODS list. Any deviation from this list is seen as a definite No-no, and to be avoided at all costs. He says that weight loss can be stalled by such deviations.

Dr. Stillman practiced medicine for over 50 years with the following accreditations: consultant in Internal Medicine at Coney Island hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., was attending physician in Medicine at Coney Island hospital, an attending physician in Medicine at Harbor hospital, a clinical instructor of Medicine at Long Island College Hospital, a Fellow of the American College of Angiology and a Fellow of the American Geriatric Society.It is irony that Stillman died of a heart attack in 1975 - after some 20 million people had been on his diet.

A main difference between this diet, and Atkins is food preparation, no oils or fats are to be used AT ALL, and lean meats are allowed, not fatty ones, in fact they are highly discouraged. You can have no-cal. sodas on this, although I think I would heed Dr. Atkins advice about aspartame re: this. NO VEGGIES WHATSOEVER, NO EVEN LETTUCE!
I did this diet when I was younger, and lost 26lbs. in 4 weeks, and I followed it to the *T*, and that was even the original one that did not allow the gelatin and the soup! It does work, BUT a person has to be willing to stick to it strictly. Falling off of it, will greatly slow down the fatburning process. If someone doesn’t mind the restrictions, in my opinion, this is a diet that will bring about a quick reduction.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

eek, orange juice ? jam ? I will have to modify.........thanks for the post !!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi! I'm just popping in from Lake Tahoe to catch up on reading.

Mim: Just have to say congrats on loose pants! Yay for clothes shopping! I love Burlington's. and WTG on being down 1.5 for the week.

Lots of good reading on this thread.

CC: Woo-Hoo! on that great compliment about you still losing wt. That had to feel so good.

Congrats to all the losers, maintainers, hi to newbies and yay for staying on plan.

I'm doing pretty good here. Last night was a dinner meeting at a lovely restaurant. I ordered a filet mignon, dry grilled, and a small green salad with olive oil and vinegar. Very satisfying. I had 2 glasses of cabernet. This morning the scale was down so I'm feelin' good.

I walked for about an hour and a half yesterday and just now I got back from a 30 minute walk.

Breakfast was eggs and sausage and coffee. I probably should have passed on the sausage because it was really salty. But, I really enjoyed it and am not planning to eat anything until I go out to dinner with the gang again. I'm hoping halibut is on the menu.

I figure if I can maintain or even lose a wee bit while I'm traveling, I'm doing good. Next week is my Hawaii trip and I'm planning to get lots of exercise and eat a lot of fish. I can't afford to gain a bunch even if it is a vacation.

Hugs, Everyone! KUTGW!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
eek, orange juice ? jam ? I will have to modify.........thanks for the post !!!!!!!!!
Me too. I got a little scared, but I did add some stuff today. I feel fine. going very very slow.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #112
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Yam! I see you are doing Callanetics! I've done them since the 70's! Not consistently though. GT does it too!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Yam! I see you are doing Callanetics! I've done them since the 70's! Not consistently though. GT does it too!
oh wow! I also did callenetics for years. It is spectacular and trims and firms quickly. You are the only people I have ever known that also do these exercies.

I also do the the five tibetan rites, swim 4-5 times a week and walk my dogs a lot.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yam, you sure get around ! Mahalo !

Shreem, I don't think I'm going to ever go back to sugar, even natural ones.
It would open the door to too many bad choices.

OMG excersize, what is that

missing GT, MMS and soooo many others, come back, come back !!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #115
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
oh wow! I also did callenetics for years. It is spectacular and trims and firms quickly. You are the only people I have ever known that also do these exercies.

I also do the the five tibetan rites, swim 4-5 times a week and walk my dogs a lot.
I have the original hard back Callenetics book! Her exercises were featured in a magazine and they looked so good that I bought the book. When I first started I could only do about 5 of the stomach reps. Like being on plan, doing Callenetics makes me feel good. But I haven't been able to get into it consistently for quite some time. I keep trying though. I had a thought today - I'm going to do it in my office tomorrow! I have to keep office hours and no one is ever there so I can exercise.

I looked up the five tibetan rites - it looks great! I used to swim every day. About 5 years ago I was training to make an open water swim across the Chesapeake bay - a 17 mile swim. In the midst of training I broke my ankle - underwent 3 major reconstruction surgeries in two years and then moved away from a convenient pool and away from the ocean. When I move this time I am going to make a point of finding a place to swim!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #116
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yam, you sure get around ! Mahalo !

Shreem, I don't think I'm going to ever go back to sugar, even natural ones.
It would open the door to too many bad choices.

OMG excersize, what is that

missing GT, MMS and soooo many others, come back, come back !!

I miss them too.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #117
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I need some help - I took a picture yesterday to text to my daughter to get her opinion on the dress. When I looked at the picture, I realized that my arms and hands look old! I suspect that I need to start using some kind of moisturizer, toning cream on them. Any suggestions friends?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WatchMeMelt
Stats: 195.6/185.6/130
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 8/27/2012
Back after a few days

hello everyone, glad to see all of you are LOSING!! As for me, I cheated over the weekend, I know bad, bad! but now I'm trying to get back on the wagon and boy has it been difficult! but yesterday was pure stills and today was partially good..i had a few bites of rice I made for my kids...I usually can resist but I don't know what came over me, lol.. but thankfully since yesterday I lost 1.6lbs. I was hoping for more but it's still good..hopefully it'll be grander tomorrow
Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #119
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeMelt View Post
hello everyone, glad to see all of you are LOSING!! As for me, I cheated over the weekend, I know bad, bad! but now I'm trying to get back on the wagon and boy has it been difficult! but yesterday was pure stills and today was partially good..i had a few bites of rice I made for my kids...I usually can resist but I don't know what came over me, lol.. but thankfully since yesterday I lost 1.6lbs. I was hoping for more but it's still good..hopefully it'll be grander tomorrow
Congratulations on the 1.6! Remember that this is a way of life, the weight won't come off in a night, and along the weight loss journey you have to live.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #120
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I started my weigh week with a half pound loss! I walked to the office yesterday, and plan on doing the same today. And honestly, I'm going to seriously work on getting back into the exercise mode. I have very sad news - for me. I'm out of raw shrimp. I can't go grocery shopping until this weekend so I guess I'll have to eat cold shrimp! Life is hard. Yesterday I finished the low carb meatloaf I had made a few days ago, had shrimp and salmon. I was having a hungry day for some reason. I am not one who loses well with beef, but sometimes I just have to have it! This morning's breakfast is salmon. In fact, all meals today will be salmon! Happy Wednesday everyone!
Closed Thread