Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WatchMeMelt
Stats: 195.6/185.6/130
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 8/27/2012
Hi everyone! Sorry to have been MIA the last few days, hope everyone had a great weekend! This past weekend was the first time I ate outside on Stillmans, and I just wasn't prepared and easily tempted. I ate off plan for two days and I am not proud...I gained 2.6lbs but I am back on the wagon today. One look in the mirror told me that I cannot afford to cheat today, I have my brother's wedding Thanksgiving weekend and I need to be 30lbs lighter.. We can go do this!! My meals so far:
Bk: skipped
L: 2 ground chicken patties
D: 2 more chick patties or grilled chick breast
& goal of 80z of water

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Hi Cat, hi Yam !

Don't worry Cat, all will be well in a week. Your DH is right. It's prob salt.

Off to check Yam's pics !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yam yer DH is HOT !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 235/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: September 2 2014
Hello Long story short is I have been off plan WAY longer than I thought I would and I gained WAY more weight than I even want to admit to.

I sat around awhile trying to think it all through but basically figured out that I just got to put it behind me. Start new and pray this time it finally hits home with me. No more planned days off, holidays or special occasions. I just do not have it in me to get back on in a timely manner.

So this was day one and it feels great to be back on.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
oh, wow! so many wonderful people that i have not met before. Thank you so much for posting and being here. probably the 10 pounds at disney is about 6 pounds of water weight. it will come down very quickly.

bratty, so awesome to see you. that is the attitude, just start right now. So glad you are back and at it with us. all that off plan stuff is behind you and you are here now.!!! I just go one day at a time and I never stop trying. In Dr,. Stillman's book, he said that people with food issues will always have to work at it their entire lives, and that's how i look at it. Everyday is a new day and I have to stay on plan to be my best self. He says it is those that can not admit that food is an issue that either don't loose the weight or gain it back. So I look at this as a rest of my life way of eating and always paying attention to keep it in check (kind of like AA, but for weight/food).
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
bratty, so awesome to see you. that is the attitude, just start right now. So glad you are back and at it with us. all that off plan stuff is behind you and you are here now.!!! I just go one day at a time and I never stop trying. In Dr,. Stillman's book, he said that people with food issues will always have to work at it their entire lives, and that's how i look at it. Everyday is a new day and I have to stay on plan to be my best self. He says it is those that can not admit that food is an issue that either don't loose the weight or gain it back. So I look at this as a rest of my life way of eating and always paying attention to keep it in check (kind of like AA, but for weight/food).
Thank you I agree that I have to change my view about food. I am not completely there, but I will be. I know I have a problem with food. It is just hard to accept because it has not been a life long problem. I was extremely athletic and healthy most of my life. I want to believe that I can loose my weight and then eat like a normal person. I also realize that it is not an option for me anymore. I know I sound like a schizophrenic now.

I have one day under my belt. Today I am paying for all my naughtiness with a massive carb withdraw headache and exhaustion. This will pass in a few days. I am only weighing once a week to avoid the scale issues I have. Hoping to see 3 pounds a week. Anything more will be a bonus. Anything less... well I will cross that bridge then.

Yesterday I had a total of 9 ounces of ground turkey, 2 eggs, and 2 slices of cheese. Today will be the same, minus the cheese.

I am curious. Those of you who keep track of your fluid intake. How much are you drinking in a day? I try to drink 100 ounces but sometimes it seems like too much.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Thank you I agree that I have to change my view about food. I am not completely there, but I will be. I know I have a problem with food. It is just hard to accept because it has not been a life long problem. I was extremely athletic and healthy most of my life. I want to believe that I can loose my weight and then eat like a normal person. I also realize that it is not an option for me anymore. I know I sound like a schizophrenic now.

I have one day under my belt. Today I am paying for all my naughtiness with a massive carb withdraw headache and exhaustion. This will pass in a few days. I am only weighing once a week to avoid the scale issues I have. Hoping to see 3 pounds a week. Anything more will be a bonus. Anything less... well I will cross that bridge then.

Yesterday I had a total of 9 ounces of ground turkey, 2 eggs, and 2 slices of cheese. Today will be the same, minus the cheese.

I am curious. Those of you who keep track of your fluid intake. How much are you drinking in a day? I try to drink 100 ounces but sometimes it seems like too much.
Wow!!! You are doing awesome. Keep that thinking going. Excellent job. The turkey worked so well for me the last three days. I was shocked. It was a turkey breast my mil bought for me at Costco, 99% fatfree, Kirkland Brand. It cost 12.00, but lasted 3 days. It was a couple pounds. Maybe 3pounds or more?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good afternoon! I did something this morning I have not done in a very very long time! I slept in! My natural wake up time is between 6 and 6:30. I never set my alarm except on Saturday night. So this morning, I woke up at 8:05! Oh my! I had a breakfast meeting at 8:30! I was showered, dressed, make-up on and out in a flash. I was only 5 minutes late for the meeting. I must admit that it felt great. My body needed the sleep. And I've lost another half pound! That makes me very happy!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Ashley, I'm so glad you are back! Stay with us, even if you are off the wagon. It helps - I know! One of the things I have learned over the years is that so called normal eating doesn't include eating when not hungry, and binging, and eating food you don't really like but eating anyway. For me, I have come to grasp that a Stillman's like diet is a way of life for me. Right now it is how I lose weight, but eventually it will be the base for maintaining. I feel good eating this way and it is healthy, probably the healthiest way of eating. Any way, welcome back!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

{{{{{{Bratty}}}}}}

yay on sleeping in Mim !
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good afternoon! I did something this morning I have not done in a very very long time! I slept in! My natural wake up time is between 6 and 6:30. I never set my alarm except on Saturday night. So this morning, I woke up at 8:05! Oh my! I had a breakfast meeting at 8:30! I was showered, dressed, make-up on and out in a flash. I was only 5 minutes late for the meeting. I must admit that it felt great. My body needed the sleep. And I've lost another half pound! That makes me very happy!
Mim: Congrats on losing another half pound!! I've been reading about the hormone Leptin that cannot be taken as a supplement but is only produced in our bodies. It is mostly produced while we sleep! So, sleep is very important for weight loss as Leptin does an amazing amount of things. It signals the brain to command the body to let go of stored fat. It also tells the brain that we are full, are not in danger of starvation, so no need for tummy growling or hunger pains. It fights Grehlin and Cortisol and helps us feel more peaceful and in control.

I slept in today as well. My DH had to leave at 4:00 to catch a flight to Branson. I woke up with him but quickly fell back asleep after he left and slept until exactly 7:57. Felt soooooooooo good. I usually get up 5:45-6:00 a.m. Yay for good sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post

I used to fill up a 64 ounce pitcher twice a day and my goal was to drink 120 ounces. Now I just use a 16 ounce glass, fill it with ice, water and squeeze a quarter of a fresh lemon's juice in it. As soon as it's empty, I fill it again and do that all day with the lemons all day. I don't really count but yesterday I probably had 6 glasses like that. So, about 96 ounces, give or take.

You mentioned in your post that you were athletic all your life. That will work in your favor for losing and keeping it off. Our bodies, muscles, metabolisms have memories and quickly and happily revert to those healthy practices once we give them a chance.

You will do great and you will reach your goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Yam yer DH is HOT !!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you! I sure like him!!

Quote:
Yam-Yam! How wonderful to see you! I love the pictures and love the hair! Pop in more often - we miss you!
Thanks! My DD is not a hair dresser but she can do anything and everything. I had her cut it and we sent it to locks of love. That was fun. She did a really good job on the cut. I laughed and told her now she is my hair dresser for life!! She can't get out of it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeMelt View Post
Thank you Angelstill for starting the new thread! I've been lurking around on this forum for months and finally decided to make myself accountable and check-in daily. So I've been doing stills for 6 days so far and lost 8.6lbs. I felt so great seeing the weight fall off, but this morning i was up .4lbs and felt depressed and just want to cheat but I know I shouldn't bcuz it'll it'll set me back a few days. It's to be expected, up & down days, so that's why this forum is so great, it'll keep me in check!
Glad you came out of lurkdom! There is no better support group than the LCF web site. I love it here. Wooo-Hoooo on losing 8.6 pounds in 6 days! You must feel awesome!!

Can I give you a little hint? I really related when you said you saw the .4 gain and felt depressed and wanted to cheat. When I was doing 100% Stillman's and would have a day like that, there was big danger of me falling totally off the wagon.

Once I had been doing great for 2 whole weeks. I had made steak for dinner and made some roasted brussel sprouts with melted butter for DH but I was doing strict Stillman and had no intention of eating the veggies. I had lost 14 pounds but that day saw a slight gain and was really fighting the urge to cheat.

Before I knew it I had popped one of those buttery, big, brussel sprouts in my mouth. I felt so guilty! The next morning when there was no loss on the scale again, I blamed it on the brussel sprout and gave up and said "I can't do this" and before I knew it I gained all the 14 pounds back and it was months before I got back on plan.

I look back on that now and think, why didn't I just enjoy some vegetables for Pete's sake?? Especially now that I've read Dr. Dukan's book and it was such a great help to me last August when I started losing weight this time.

Probably the depressed feeling was my brain crying out for some healthy carbs and fat. The vegetable and butter combo would have been perfect for that. I always look back at that with regret and vow to not be so hard on myself ever again.

Sorry that was so long! Hang in there! You are doing great!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 09-06-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

CC: any time you wonder where I am, you can follow my posts over to the JUDD forum. I started posting there at the end of December last year.

For anyone who is interested, last July I hit my highest weight of 230. How depressing!!! When I saw that number on the scale, I had a sobbing crying fest for several hours. Then I got out Dr. Stillman's QWL book and a new book by Dr. Pierre Dukan (the Dukan Diet) and started to read and re-read. I read just "The Attack Diet" section of Dukan's book. And, I read it over and over so I could get it in my head.

Very motivational!!! I felt like he was saying exactly the things Stillman had said in his book of so long ago but with a lot of new information and science behind the low carb, high protein, low fat WOE. I highly recommend it as a good companion to back up the Stillman plan.

I had seen some people on Dr. Oz's show and one woman in particular who gave testimonials about how much weight they lost in the Attack phase of Dukan.

That lady said she lost 13 pounds in 10 days. I remember thinking that would not happen for me. No way.

But, on August 1st, 2011 I started my Dukan/Stillman experiment. Ten days later I was down 14 pounds. I did that Attack/Pure Protein plan for 10 days but I was not perfect. I flubbed up a few times (it involved wine). But still, I lost 14 pounds and it never came back!

That was the perfect time to move to the next phase. Can't remember for sure (I should get the book out) but I think it's called the Cruise phase?

It's where you do pure protein one day and then the next day you do pure protein plus non-starchy veggies. I never gave up my EVOO, a bit of half and half in my morning coffee or my fish oil supplements the whole time.

In that second phase you can do 2 days protein, 1 day add veggies or you can rotate every other day or you can do 5 days pure protein, 2 days add veggies. Whatever works for you and gets the pounds off the fastest.

I got some graph paper and kept charting my weight every single morning.

By the end of December I was down 27 pounds and that's when I heard about Dr. Johnson's book so decided that would fit well with what I was already doing but give me more flexibility. There are certain foods I am never going to give up for extended periods of time (let alone forever!!!)

So, JUDD is working well for me right now.

Hope that was not boring! Just wanted to update anyone who is interested about where I've been and what I'm doing. I'm an oldie Stillmanite and like I said, as a 15 year old girl he changed my life with QWL and helped me stay slim for over 50 years. It's just these past few years that I got fat and thank the Lord the hormone crazies seem to be over and my body is responding to QWL, Dukan and JUDD and I'm soooooooooo happy!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow!!! You are doing awesome. Keep that thinking going. Excellent job. The turkey worked so well for me the last three days. I was shocked. It was a turkey breast my mil bought for me at Costco, 99% fatfree, Kirkland Brand. It cost 12.00, but lasted 3 days. It was a couple pounds. Maybe 3pounds or more?
I buy Costco turkey. It come bundled in a package of 4. Each has about two pounds in it. Last quite awhile.

Quote:
I love love love when I get to sleep in. With 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, it doesn't happen often. Congrats on your half pound and your ability to get out the door so fast!

Quote:
Ashley, I'm so glad you are back! Stay with us, even if you are off the wagon. It helps - I know! One of the things I have learned over the years is that so called normal eating doesn't include eating when not hungry, and binging, and eating food you don't really like but eating anyway. For me, I have come to grasp that a Stillman's like diet is a way of life for me. Right now it is how I lose weight, but eventually it will be the base for maintaining. I feel good eating this way and it is healthy, probably the healthiest way of eating. Any way, welcome back!
Thank you I know I need to think that way. I am almost there. I just have a small petulant child part of me that is stomping it's feet. hehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
For anyone who is interested, last July I hit my highest weight of 230. How depressing!!! When I saw that number on the scale, I had a sobbing crying fest for several hours. Then I got out Dr. Stillman's QWL book and a new book by Dr. Pierre Dukan (the Dukan Diet) and started to read and re-read. I read just "The Attack Diet" section of Dukan's book. And, I read it over and over so I could get it in my head.
I think I will get those books and give them a read. Thank you for sharing. I know how you felt. I felt much the same way when I got on the scale and saw 232. I get a revisit of that feeling every time I see a picture of myself.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Hi all...starving on STillman's, lol! This is day 3 back on the plan after my Disney long weekend so I'm sure the appetite will disappear by tomorrow. Meanwhile lots of lean meats and drinking a lot of water to flush the carbs out.

Yam-yam, very interesting reading about your history. We've been doing a little experimenting this year, too, having started with straight ATkins, in March, and then switching to Stillman's in May when weight loss slowed down dramatically. We've done well with STillman's, having the occasional Atkins type meal (with LC veggies & higher fat meats) to help stay on plan.

The Dukan's diet sounds interesting, but I'm not really seeing a big difference, other than the oat bran. For anyone that's actually doing it, what is the advantage of Dukan vs. Atkins vs. Stillman's? Or is it just the French version of Atkins,

Plugging away at everything...hope everyone has a great TGIF, and then a fabulous weekend.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Yam Yam: yes, i'm a low fat girl, and IT WORKS!!!!ATkins made me gain. So I'm in heaven with Dr. Stillman.
Bratty: thanks for that turkey tip at Costco. I'll look next time.

cathy: your doing great being into that day 3. takes me that long, too-and then day four is yahoo!!

my day was great. I'm at 879 calories, 87% protein, 4%fat. I AM LOVIN THIS. Thank you for everyone's support. This is so encouraging.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cyone
Stats: To hit 199 by 08/27/2012
WOE: 17 Day Diet Cycles 1-4
Start Date: August 2011
Hi everyone, I'm not new to Stillman's but I am getting back on track, i used this woe a few years back and knocked about 70 lbs off in a little over 3 months and felt amazing over the years though some of the weight has come back, I've been on a journey to reach a healthy weight for the last year as of September 25th and though that has been going well I'm a bit tired of the slow weekly losses and know with Stillmans I can reach my goal so much quicker, so I'm trying to stick with it for the next 12 weeks and hope to lose about 50 lbs. Thankfully I have a copy of both the 14 day shape up and the original qwl diet which I will be alternating week to week to keep from plateauing. So Hi everyone!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
Hi all...starving on STillman's, lol! This is day 3 back on the plan after my Disney long weekend so I'm sure the appetite will disappear by tomorrow. Meanwhile lots of lean meats and drinking a lot of water to flush the carbs out.

Yam-yam, very interesting reading about your history. We've been doing a little experimenting this year, too, having started with straight ATkins, in March, and then switching to Stillman's in May when weight loss slowed down dramatically. We've done well with STillman's, having the occasional Atkins type meal (with LC veggies & higher fat meats) to help stay on plan.

The Dukan's diet sounds interesting, but I'm not really seeing a big difference, other than the oat bran. For anyone that's actually doing it, what is the advantage of Dukan vs. Atkins vs. Stillman's? Or is it just the French version of Atkins,

Plugging away at everything...hope everyone has a great TGIF, and then a fabulous weekend.
The biggest difference between Dukan and Stillman is that he makes a case for fat free dairy. Lactose free, fat free if you can get it and as with all the other lean proteins, the fat free milk and Greek yogurt are unlimited so you can eat as much as you want. I had never eaten Greek yogurt before and found out I love it. In those first 10 days I ate a lot of ff yogurt and drank lots and lots of ff, lactose free milk. I really attribute my big loss to that. I never went to bed hungry. I always had 8-16 ounces of ff Greek plain yogurt sweetened with splenda and a few drops of vanilla extract or Hershey's ff chocolate syrup or just a few sprinkles of cinnamon right before bed.

He also differs in that after the attack phase, which lasts any where from 1 to 10 days you start adding in unlimited non-starchy veggies every other day.

Like Stillman, Dukan preaches no or low fat. However, I'm a big believer in the healthy fats like EVOO, fish oil and even virgin coconut oil, cold pressed. (All oils should be cold pressed). I cooked my meat, chicken and eggs in cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil right from the start. My digestive system loved me, worked great and I lost weight fast. So, I will never listen to anyone who says cut back on or cut out healthy oils and fats. I've never done Atkins. I did read the book. Just couldn't get my mind adjusted to eating other kinds of fat. I'm a Stillman girl through and through I guess.

Now I'm eating all kinds of things on my Up Days. However, I still stick to lots of healthy fats and lots of lean protein. All the other goodies are side dishes. Eating refined carbs still cranks up my cravings. But if I stick to complex carbs and proteins and healthy fats, I'm good. I do not eat much fruit. When I do it's berries, sometimes watermelon, an apple here and there. That's it for fruit. I don't crave it. I crave veggies. I would rather have corn on the cob or peas rather than a piece of fruit.

Quote:
Yam Yam: yes, i'm a low fat girl, and IT WORKS!!!!ATkins made me gain. So I'm in heaven with Dr. Stillman.
Bratty: thanks for that turkey tip at Costco. I'll look next time.

cathy: your doing great being into that day 3. takes me that long, too-and then day four is yahoo!!

my day was great. I'm at 879 calories, 87% protein, 4%fat. I AM LOVIN THIS. Thank you for everyone's support. This is so encouraging.
I love turkey! You are making my mouth water. I may have to head to the store soon to buy turkey breast or even a whole turkey and roast it. Yum!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Another thing I really, really like about the Dukan diet is that he gives a lot of details and plans for keeping weight off once you lose it.

He's the first person who ever explained to me why it's so easy to gain weight back after we work so hard to lose it. There is a scientific, genetic reason which he labels "The Weight Rebound Effect". I started a whole thread about that a while back and I can link you to it if you are interested.

He also provides the solution to the weight rebound effect. So, his plan is really 4 separate diets. 1 is ATTACK; 2 is CRUISE; 3 is CONSOLIDATION and 4 is STABILIZATION. It's all really, really good stuff. Worth reading for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyone View Post
Hi everyone, I'm not new to Stillman's but I am getting back on track, i used this woe a few years back and knocked about 70 lbs off in a little over 3 months and felt amazing over the years though some of the weight has come back, I've been on a journey to reach a healthy weight for the last year as of September 25th and though that has been going well I'm a bit tired of the slow weekly losses and know with Stillmans I can reach my goal so much quicker, so I'm trying to stick with it for the next 12 weeks and hope to lose about 50 lbs. Thankfully I have a copy of both the 14 day shape up and the original qwl diet which I will be alternating week to week to keep from plateauing. So Hi everyone!!!
Hi Cyone! Congratulations on getting rid of 70 pounds in 3 months! That's awesome. I like your idea of switching back and forth with shape up and QWL. That would sure relieve boredom. It will probably keep your metabolism smokin' as well. Glad you are on your way! You have a great plan.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Cyone: Love your avatar pictures! What a dramatic change. You are doing great!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
thanks for all the info Yam; I'm intrigued now! Think I'll pick up the Dukan book this weekend.

Hi Cyone...and agree with Yam, your avatar really shows the improved you Best wishes on losing 50 in 12 wks...it's possible with Stillman's. Keep posting on here; lots of support & ideas.

Bratty, is that costco turkey made into patties, or just packaged ground turkey?

Angel, where are ya today...or did I miss some posts? Hope you're hanging in there

Hi Ya, CCGirl, Mim & Shreem! Hope you all had a great day!

Last edited by catne; 09-06-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WatchMeMelt
Stats: 195.6/185.6/130
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 8/27/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Glad you came out of lurkdom! There is no better support group than the LCF web site. I love it here. Wooo-Hoooo on losing 8.6 pounds in 6 days! You must feel awesome!!

Can I give you a little hint? I really related when you said you saw the .4 gain and felt depressed and wanted to cheat. When I was doing 100% Stillman's and would have a day like that, there was big danger of me falling totally off the wagon.

Once I had been doing great for 2 whole weeks. I had made steak for dinner and made some roasted brussel sprouts with melted butter for DH but I was doing strict Stillman and had no intention of eating the veggies. I had lost 14 pounds but that day saw a slight gain and was really fighting the urge to cheat.

Before I knew it I had popped one of those buttery, big, brussel sprouts in my mouth. I felt so guilty! The next morning when there was no loss on the scale again, I blamed it on the brussel sprout and gave up and said "I can't do this" and before I knew it I gained all the 14 pounds back and it was months before I got back on plan.

I look back on that now and think, why didn't I just enjoy some vegetables for Pete's sake?? Especially now that I've read Dr. Dukan's book and it was such a great help to me last August when I started losing weight this time.

Probably the depressed feeling was my brain crying out for some healthy carbs and fat. The vegetable and butter combo would have been perfect for that. I always look back at that with regret and vow to not be so hard on myself ever again.

Sorry that was so long! Hang in there! You are doing great!
Thank you YamYam for your response! Why do we do that to ourselves after working so hard? what you did with the brussel sprout, I did the last few days..I took one tiny bite of my daughter's leftover donut and then had a cheat weekend...I am so ashamed of myself for not having the willpower to just say no and stick with clean eating..every day, I would restart and end up failing..I feel like such a failure..I have a very bad relationship with food... it's not like I enjoy the food I eat either, afterwards I feel like a bloated cow and ofcourse a failure and thank you for complimenting on my loss, I wish it was s till 8.6lbs right now! But tonight I will get on that tradmill and try to burn as much as I can and start fresh tomorrow
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #52
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I had a non-stop day yesterday. It didn't end until almost 10. I hope today is easier. I think I will have the afternoon and evening off. Fingers crossed! I woke up half a pound up, but feeling much lighter. These little fluctuations don't bother me as much as they used to. I know I've been on plan and it will be off tomorrow, probably taking a friend with it. Sunday is the church picnic - I'm trying to decide if I need to take anything so I have food to eat. There will be hotdogs, and hopefully someone will make deviled eggs. I might make deviled eggs. It will obviously be a high fat lunch but it will be low carb.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #53
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you YamYam for your response! Why do we do that to ourselves after working so hard? what you did with the brussel sprout, I did the last few days..I took one tiny bite of my daughter's leftover donut and then had a cheat weekend...I am so ashamed of myself for not having the willpower to just say no and stick with clean eating..every day, I would restart and end up failing..I feel like such a failure..I have a very bad relationship with food... it's not like I enjoy the food I eat either, afterwards I feel like a bloated cow and ofcourse a failure and thank you for complimenting on my loss, I wish it was s till 8.6lbs right now! But tonight I will get on that tradmill and try to burn as much as I can and start fresh tomorrow
Please don't be so hard on yourself. You are not a failure. Keep at it, this way of eating will click with you. Post often and know that we all have the same struggle.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Swish that shame right off your brain. You are amazing and you are posting and you will get it right. The dieting mentality sets everyone up for success then failure and it's a viscious circle. So just step off that cycle and keep moving forward, sometimes one meal at a time. All that matters is what you are doing right now, because that is what will create your future.

I think of this as my way of eating, rather than being on and off a diet. it's very very helpful to think of it as a forever way of eating (maybe a little stricter now than later, but not much).
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
We have all fell off the wagon at one time or another , dust yourself off and climb back on and ride with us !!!!

cyone you look awesome very inspiring .....
Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I am back on plan and back where I started after the 10 lb rise on the scale .... It took a lot of clean Stillman's and days of carb withdrawal headaches and bloat ....
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

What is The 17 Day Diet?

By Mary_RD on Jan 18, 2011 10:00 AM in Tips & Updates

For those who like to know exactly what to do, there is The 17 Day Diet. The diet has been burning through the Internet ever since the start of the New Year when its creator, Dr. Mike Moreno, was “seen on TV” on Dr. Phil and The Doctors. The book jacket claims the diet is “a simple plan that targets both belly fat and visceral fat and produces fast results that last.” 'Belly fat' and 'fast', the magic words. Dr. Mike knows the right thing to say.

The 17 Day Diet Plan

Days 1 – 17 are to “Accelerate” on a low carbohydrate diet that provides around 1200 calories. Eat unlimited lean meat and no-starch vegetables, two fat-free plain yogurts and two low-sugar fruits, a bit of oil, green tea, and 64 ounces of water a day. Typical for any low carb diet, fat-burning and fluid loss is favored during those days.

Days 18 – 34 are to “Activate” by calorie cycling (aka calorie shifting or calorie zigzagging), which means that the daily calorie intake cycles and recycles from low to high over the course of several days. The goal is to trick the metabolism to prevent it from slowing down. Two servings of whole grains are added to the above to raise the average calorie intake to 1500 a day.

Days 35 – 51 are to “Achieve” good eating habits that last a lifetime. This phase is the same as “Activate” except that lean meat is no longer unlimited and more grains and fruit are added, along with an optional serving of alcohol and a 100-calorie snack. In other words, the low carb diet is 'Out' and a balanced low-calorie diet is 'In' sans the processed food.

Day 52 and on are to “Arrive” at a lifelong eating plan, which is a constant cycling through phases 1, 2 and 3 - until the weekends when you can splurge. But don’t binge, says Dr. Mike, and if you gain more than 5 pounds, return immediately to phase 2.

A Nutritional Critique

For many people, the beginning phase is too low in calories, and for everyone, it is too low in fiber. But a low carb vs. low fat diet is simply a matter of choice because research shows they both work if the calories are low. Dr. Mike says the diet is not for type 1 diabetics, or for teens, pregnant and lactating women, and sick people I might add. And it is prudent to take a multivitamin-mineral supplement during the first two phases.
And since I was quoted on Shine from Yahoo, I’ll share what I said about the rest.

Regarding calorie cycling:

"There is no scientific evidence to support the efficacy of calorie cycling or its effect on metabolism,” says Mary Hartley, RD, MPH, the director of nutrition at Calorie Count. "There is no harm in calorie cycling temporarily or indefinitely and the process happens naturally for most people, who don't eat or burn the same number of calories every day. But I am not in favor of focusing on any process that takes you away from attending to the lifestyle changes that you need to make and practice for permanent weight control."

Regarding 'tricking' the metabolism:

"A few specific foods and beverages have been shown to boost metabolism in research studies. They are hot red pepper (capsaicin), grapefruit, green tea, coffee and other caffeinated foods, and even water. But keep in mind that the increased metabolism these foods provide is too small to really be meaningful," Hartley says in the article "How You Can Control Your Metabolism" at DietsInReview.com.

Regarding splurging on the weekends:

"Bad idea," says Hartley. "Wild weekends can reverse the progress you make during the week. Ultimately, you’ll feel like you are working hard but not getting anywhere. For example, if you created a 3500 calorie deficit by dieting and exercising Monday through Friday, you could easily undo it by eating and drinking 1750 extra calories for two days. Also, note that successful dieters change their mindsets so they want to eat healthy most of the time."

A Psychological Diversion?

Many people enjoy following a 'diet' for awhile. Like a trip to a spa, it can feel energizing and may renew a commitment to eating clean. And who can argue with clean eating: lots of water, no processed foods, no sugar, solid fats, or booze? Dr. Mike has meal plans and recipes and a 17-minute exercise CD all for $29.00 - and even home delivered meals for an additional fee.

But The 17 Day Diet doesn’t touch the day-to-day behavioral issues tantamount to effective change. It might be an interesting diversion for those with only 5 pounds to lose, but when more loss is needed, the diversion could keep you from figuring out a plan that works over the course of a lifetime for YOU.

Your thoughts....

What's your take on the 17 Day Diet?

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

WOW all these diets out there I guess one of them will be right for me ....
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Yam- Yam you look amazing !!!! and Dukan will be the next diet book I research .... high protein, low fat works for me ....
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: size2jeans
Stats: 155- stillman then maybe dukan
Start Date: September 29, 2012
Hi there everyone!

I hope I can join in! My name is Lynn. I have done low carb on and off since 2007.
I got down to 125 which was incredible doing *******, Atkins...etc...

I now have gotten up to 156 and none of my clothes fit and feel horrible.
I'm planning on doing stillman as it has the BEST Results!:-)

I have stocked up on shrimp, fish, chicken, and filet....
Ready set GO!

Love to hear your results the first couple weeks:-)

Nice to meet you guys
Lynn
Closed Thread