Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamic
How do you keep carbs low on Stillmans?

I'm used to higher fat, and I need to change something. I used to be thin, and did Atkins about 10 years ago and before that I just counted my calories/fat...since then I've put on 50 lbs I am sitting pretty (not) at 175.

I am thinking of doing Stillmans, but I just can't figure out how to change without the carbs adding up? I am used to cream cheese/ bleu cheese dressing and heavy cream in my coffee...can someone please give me some advice? seems like lower fat/cals have higher carbs!

Today, I've already had my two cups of coffee with hc,splenda and I packed my lunch so I know today will be a high fat day..but I would like to change over tomorrow, I plan on going to the store tonight and buying some balsamic dressing or such and some chicken.

Can someone tell me, will I lose faster on this than just low carb? I can lose pretty quickly if I commit but I would like to lose faster if possible.

Thanks,
Tami

Last edited by Tamic; 08-21-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Tamic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Did you read the list of foods recommended?
It is low cal/low fat AND low carb.

you are basically eating low calorie LEAN proteins and that's it!
At least on the 'quick weight loss diet.'
There's the two week shape up program you can try as well that includes a few more items.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamic
Okay, I read the quick weight loss post and I think I have it. So not really any vegies, just lean protein. Does anybody have any recipes that makes it more tolerable or do you all just eat plain meat?
Tamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
lol, there are some recipes posted at the top as well.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
You have to be inventive. I found Shirataki noodles to be helpful- after OODLES of research i found that they are 100% legal. But you have to be careful about what you put on them- I made a stir fry (no oil) with the noodles, thinly sliced chicken breast, hot sauce and braggs aminos (a few other seasonings). Or try making ramen soup with them- yum.

You can try lots of things and see... it is a bit about experimentation. If you love the fat so much, you could always do a modified fat fast- I lose MUCH faster on a fat fast- but you have to really plan your meals and watch what you eat. It only works for about 5 days- then I switch back to low carb.

Last edited by Remykins; 08-23-2012 at 06:52 AM..
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamic View Post

Today, I've already had my two cups of coffee with hc,splenda and I packed my lunch so I know today will be a high fat day..but I would like to change over tomorrow, I plan on going to the store tonight and buying some balsamic dressing or such and some chicken.
No balsamic- its sugar. Not even allowed on regular low carb diet 90% of the time. You really need to make your own dressing. I use fresh herbs with a little lemon juice, garlic, etc and make a greek vinaigrette (without the oil). Be creative.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
hubby and I have been doing Stillman's since May...and we find the best results for us is when we eat completely "clean" and nothing that is not on the original Stillman's list. Some folks add this & that in, and still lose weight but our experience is we stall out when we try to monkey with the program We can't even eat the cottage cheese he allowed back in the day...we tried and that stalled us.

We basically eat eggs, fish and lean meats and that's it. Nothing else. Meats cooked with virtually no fat (a small spray of Pam cooking spray to keep it from sticking to a pan) and seasoned with a little salt/pepper/onion & garlic powder. Occasionally we use sugar-free ketchup (not much of it though, easy to over-eat the stuff) and we do use mustard (zero carb of course, so no honey mustard or exotic flavors that add carbs.) Really, after a few days of this your appetite will go down...and your cravings will go away too. A lot of days we're only eating 1000-1200 calories...but with virtually no carbs in the mix we don't have the crazy hunger pangs you get with the usual low-calorie diet. Protein does keep appetite lower.

We don't eat most of the stuff allowed on Atkins/generic low-carb...so for us, it's NO cream, NO cheese, NO fake cream. I cut way back on the artificial sugar, too, because I find it tends to make me feel hungrier. Still have the occasional diet. soda, but not guzzling it like I used to.

To get used to drinking coffee black, I started buying Folgers or Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut flavored coffee...not flavored creamer, but the actual flavored coffee.

Boring food...yes. Boring menus...yes. Boring scale results NOT! I put my weight into ****** and on a calendar every day...and every time I start feeling like I cannot eat another boring low cal low carb low fat meat I pop my weight charts up and look at the lovely downward graph.

I've lost 30 lbs. since 5/30/2012. And that was after losing 20 lbs on Atkins 3/6 to 5/29, so it's not "water weight" loss...already had lost that.

We do have an occasional "cheat" meal...maybe once a week or so. BUT it's not really a "cheat" because it is all Atkins-legal food. So still low carb, but higher fat, carbs & calories than Stillman's. Like we might go out and have a salad, steak & grilled veggies. We're not eating bread, fr. fries, dessert and high carb cocktails for our cheat meal...just perfectly acceptable low carb fare. That may cause a stall for a day or two, but we go right back on the Stillman's diet foods and start losing again.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I'm doing a little experiment with doing a moderate fat/high protein QWL of Stillman's this week. So far so good today, but taking it one day at a time.

Weigh in today was 162lbs. Next Monday will be my next weigh in.

I plan on eating lots of rib eye steak, eggs, cottage cheese, boca burgers, and almond/coconut milk.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
I'm doing a little experiment with doing a moderate fat/high protein QWL of Stillman's this week. So far so good today, but taking it one day at a time.

Weigh in today was 162lbs. Next Monday will be my next weigh in.

I plan on eating lots of rib eye steak, eggs, cottage cheese, boca burgers, and almond/coconut milk.
Please come back and post your results, and I hope it works really well!

...I would love a daily rib eye (FAVORITE cut of beef, I really miss all that lovely marbled fat)
catne is offline   Reply With Quote