Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
August is a must for Stillman's QWL !!!!

Welcome to a new month of lean protein and superb weight loss the Stillman's way !!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

A Lack Of Motivation :(

August is here and I stalled .... 4 lbs a way from a new set of tens .... This is where I feel tempted to cheat .... I feel sad I hope you guys do not judge me too harshly .... I know the turkey diet will work but today I feel not so motivated I had just scrambled eggs today made with butter pam .... espresso and water .... I am hormonal even though (TOM) is 2 1/2 weeks a way .... what is with me ? I was doing so well ....
Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: doxielove
Stats: 177.8/139.4/120
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 07.08.13
Thank you CCGirl and AKAgal20 for your help - I have hope!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
thanks, angelstill! your new flower avatar is stunning!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxielove View Post
I didn't see your August thread and didn't feel it was my place to start one, so I hope someone sees this post - I've wasted so much time this summer debating what plan to go on, trying it for a day, and then faling off the wagon. Well, school starts in 19 days (I teach) and of course I have nothing to wear, having gained back 13 of the 30 pounds I lost on generic low carb. It took me from September to march to lose that 30 and I really need to drop this 13 ASAP since I can't afford a new wardrobe (and don't want to buy bigger sizes).

Here's my problem - I can't stomach any kind of fish/seafood, and I really don't like chicken. I don't care for hard boiled eggs but I can eat them scrambled in a nonstick pan. Has anyone been able to lose eating extra lean ground beef or steak? Any kind of deli meat?

Thanks so much!

I lost weight eating steak's , Rib eye , NY strip , Delmonico and Sirloin for a London Broil .... It was when I started in April of this year that the weight just fell off .... You can look up my old posts if you like .... I had some interesting ideas back then .... In fact, perhaps I should go back to the meal plans I once religiously followed .... It might work although, I doubt it I think my body built up a resistance .... I guess the beginning of any diet is always good because you lose weight fast at the start .... I definitely need to kick start my Stillman's WOE ....

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
thanks, angelstill! your new flower avatar is stunning!
Awwwww Thank You !!!! and you are welcome !!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
mmmmmm ribeyes...........I had ribs yesterday mmmmmmmm
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

angelstill mentioned that a lot of diets work at first and then you stall out or it stops working. i had that happen with atkins. it was rolling along, skinny as could be, eating lots of calories, lots of fats, some protein, vlc. i maintained well for around a year and over night-within a weeks time, it just stopped working.

does anyone have an explanation for this? thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vyomguy
Stats: 221.2/177.2/160
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: June 11 2012
i have been cheating past few days...taking a break after i lost 30 pounds. Will get back to strict stillman from this weekend onwards. I have 30 more pounds to go.

Good luck all...hope august will be good to us.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: becky123abc
Stats: 205/199/160 5'5.5"
Weight loss is such a mysterious thing. Just when I think I've found what works....the weight loss stops...

No judgement here on ANYONE who eats off plan...or "cheats"...we've all been there and understand. That's why I like this particular group...we "get" each other!

I did see my current weight this morning on the scale. I had 2-3 lbs increase on the scale for no reason that I could tell. I'm hoping to see another loss in the morning.

But if I'm still at 174, I won't complain...no gain is a win in my book!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Quote:
angelstill mentioned that a lot of diets work at first and then you stall out or it stops working. i had that happen with atkins. it was rolling along, skinny as could be, eating lots of calories, lots of fats, some protein, vlc. i maintained well for around a year and over night-within a weeks time, it just stopped working.

does anyone have an explanation for this? thanks
I suspect that our bodies get to a point where they need to rest before starting to lose weight again. I've known folk who have waited out the stall, and I mean a month or more stall, stayed on plan and started losing again.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
August is here and I stalled .... 4 lbs a way from a new set of tens .... This is where I feel tempted to cheat .... I feel sad I hope you guys do not judge me too harshly .... I know the turkey diet will work but today I feel not so motivated I had just scrambled eggs today made with butter pam .... espresso and water .... I am hormonal even though (TOM) is 2 1/2 weeks a way .... what is with me ? I was doing so well ....
I'm sorry you are feeling sad. Hang in there. You will get that wonderful feeling back - you know that feeling - your hair is pretty, your clothes look good, your house is in order - your food plan is making you lose weight - that feeling! I think many, if not all of us go through these periods. It makes it worse if we give in and eat off plan. But remember to cut yourself some slack - if you decide to step off the wagon, be gentle with yourself. You will pass through this moment and feel great again. Honest!
Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #13
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I went to bed so bloated and puffy that I felt like I had eaten a shaker full of salt! Since I don't add salt to anything, I was puzzled by the bloat. But this morning the puff is all gone - or at least mostly gone. I feel much better, which is good as I have a breakfast meeting, work, a visitation, haircut and then an evening meeting! The first Thursday of the month is always very busy. I wasn't thinking when I scheduled the haircut. Anyway, I am feeling good and ready for the day to begin! Well almost ready - just one more cup of coffee before I dash out the door.......
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BleuSparkl81
Stats: 210/193/150 5'8
WOE: Trying Stillmans
Start Date: July 23, 2012
Good Morning All!!! I've had a good week food wise so far. This is my second week on the plan and I feel like my weight loss has already stalled ???
I weighed in at 195 today but I had already hit 195 last Saturday and gained 2 and now I'm back down. Dont get me wrong but I'm happy for the loss it just seemed to be coming off faster last week....anybody else go thru this? I've started to incorporate exercise to see if that will start the fat burn motor.

To the ladies who are cheating....your human and it happens!!! I'm sure we all have gone thru it. Get it out of your system and get back on plan!!!

Cheers to burning lots of fat in August!!! I have a vaca planned to Florida on the 20... I'm hoping to lose 10 lbs by than!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
I have also not been great this week. I am not eating everything under the sun. I am just not on plan.
I will do the best I can this month. The last week of August onward will be much easier. The next couple of weeks are hard because the kids are not here so the hubby and I are going out to eat a few times and hitting a few movies. Yay Dates! We only get them in the summer while the kids are away.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good morning! I went to bed so bloated and puffy that I felt like I had eaten a shaker full of salt! Since I don't add salt to anything, I was puzzled by the bloat. But this morning the puff is all gone - or at least mostly gone. I feel much better, which is good as I have a breakfast meeting, work, a visitation, haircut and then an evening meeting! The first Thursday of the month is always very busy. I wasn't thinking when I scheduled the haircut. Anyway, I am feeling good and ready for the day to begin! Well almost ready - just one more cup of coffee before I dash out the door.......
YEA, MIM! I WEIGHED IN ON THE LIGHT SIDE TODAY AS WELL.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

have fun on those dates, Ashley!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much , for the encouragement everyone !!!! Well .... I went Atkin's for two days, last night and tonight's dinner .... I know the scale will not be so kind tomorrow (high in fat meals do that even if low carb ) .... I will be on serious plan on Sunday .... Saturday is a moonlight music under the stars at the winery .... it is a nice way to sip wine , listen to music and nibble on some cheese .... I really enjoy the support I found here , specifically at Stillman's .... you all are an amazing group .... I am definitely more organized and the home is looking much better .... I am not that person wearing just black leggings and eating cakes and chips and dip .... I am wearing jeans again and halter tops eating less salt and no sugar .... I am also using my wii to bowl and will attempt to use the wii fitness that I stashed away .... I weighed a lot more the last time I used it and that wii will let me know that soon as I sign in .... It is the little things like that, a lil reminder of just how far I came along on this weight loss journey since April 12 th .... Thanks again all you lovelies !
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
YEA, MIM! I WEIGHED IN ON THE LIGHT SIDE TODAY AS WELL.
Awesome ladies !!!! WTG mim and shreem !!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Hit a weight loss plateau? It's hard to fathom that for weeks your weight loss program was taking the pounds off. Then, suddenly, the scales won't budge another ounce.

Take heart. A weight loss plateau is normal. No matter how diligent you are in following your good health regimen, from time to time you'll fall off the wagon. The key to getting back on the program, experts say, is to acquire the skills and self-knowledge that will enable you to recover after a relapse.

1. Imagine You: Healthy and Vibrant

Have a vision of success. According to Katherine Tallmadge, MA, RD, author of Diet Simple, the mind is a strong tool -- use it to achieve what you want.

"Visualize yourself dancing at an upcoming celebration in a fabulous black dress," Tallmadge tells WebMD, "and then apply that vision every day to stay motivated."

While you're imagining, remind yourself of reality: excess weight is unhealthy, as is yo-yo dieting. Make sure this is a lifetime commitment for optimal health instead of a temporary plan to drop 10 pounds before bathing suit season -- which you may regain again once you stop your program.

To stay compliant to your weight loss program, Tallmadge suggests keeping only healthy foods in the refrigerator, so you're less likely to stop and grab something greasy on the way home from work. "Even if your family isn't dieting, you can still keep tempting foods out of the kitchen

2. Understand Your Weight Loss Personality

According to Thomas R. Przybeck, PhD, personality plays a role in our attitude towards food. As an assistant professor of psychiatry at Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Przybeck recommends that you know your tendencies and tailor your plan to conquer the unproductive inclinations.

Impulsive. "If you have a tendency to be impulsive, you might see a pint of Ben & Jerry's in the freezer and go for it," Przybeck says. Clearly, you are a dieter who needs to remove those temptations.

Oblivious. If you tend to not pay attention when you eat -- maybe you're a TV snacker? -- you need to avoid such situations if you want to control portions.

Uptight. "If you are highly anxious, you will probably have more difficulty," Przybeck says. "Those who are anxious, nervous, and depressed might eat to feel better."

Tenacious. Certain personalities don't find it that difficult losing weight. "If you are highly self-directed,cooperative, and have a lot of stick-to-it-ive-ness, you are going to have an easier time," Przybeck says.

Sociable. Przybeck also found that if you tend to monitor your food intake better than others, you may be more sociable.

3. Record Every Food Morsel You Eat, Taste, or Lick

Underestimating just how much food you've eaten is a common mistake, one that can lead to a weight loss plateau or weight gain. Yet keeping a diary of your daily food intake (every bite, taste, or lick) can help you see where you're going wrong. Try these food diary tips:

Track the time of day and your feelings when you eat to discover problem times and emotions that cause you to binge eat.
Recognize your eating triggers and find healthier foods to satisfy your hunger or better alternatives than food to cope with your emotions.
Monitor your progress, track your new behaviors, and reward yourself with a manicure or movie for all your hard work.

4. Beware of 'Calorie Creep'

A key reason for a weight loss plateau is eating more than you think. It's easy for portion sizes to creep up, and before you know it, you end up eating more than your plan prescribes. That's why it's important to weigh and measure your food to understand proper portions. Try cutting your daily calorie intake by 100 or 200 to move beyond the weight loss plateau. Here's how:

Eat a high-fiber breakfast that will help reduce the quantity of food eaten at lunch.
Use mustard or low-fat mayonnaise on your sandwich instead of regular mayonnaise.
Have a piece of fresh fruit instead of cookies or chips.
Drink diet soda instead of regular soda.
Choose sherbet or sorbet over super-premium ice cream.
Use 2 tablespoons of light whipped butter or margarine instead of regular.
Top your favorite pasta with a red sauce instead of a cream sauce.
Eat a snack-sized chocolate bar instead of a whole candy bar. And choose heart-healthy dark chocolate.
Order your pizza with veggies instead of high-fat meat toppings.
Order your sandwich on whole-grain bread instead of a croissant or bagel.
Try an open-faced sandwich with only one slice of bread.
5. Watch Restaurant Overeating

At restaurants, rich foods and supersized portions can sway even the most determined dieter. Especially if you eat out often, look at restaurant eating as a chance to practice good portion control.

According to Tallmadge, there isn't a law that says you must order an entree every time you eat out. "Pay attention to your appetite, and order a dinner salad or appetizer instead of a main dish," Tallmadge says, "or take half home in a doggie bag."

6. Eat Low-Fat Protein to Manage Hunger Pangs

New findings show that a high protein diet can help squelch hunger. Protein foods work by suppressing ghrelin, a hormone secreted by the stomach that stimulates appetite (yes, it triggers hunger!). In a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, researchers found that foods high in fat actually raised levels of ghrelin and increased hunger. Carbohydrates soon made people even hungrier than they were before they had eaten. But it was the protein foods that lowered levels of ghrelin substantially, helping to keep hunger pangs in check.

Researchers concluded that the findings suggest possible mechanisms contributing to the effects of high-protein/low-carb diets to promote weight loss, and high-fat diets to promote weight gain.

7. Eat More Fruits and Vegetables

Fill up on produce. Eating lots of low-calorie, high-volume fruits and vegetables crowds out other foods that are higher in fat and calories. Move the meat off the center of your plate and pile on the vegetables. Or try starting lunch or dinner with a vegetable salad or bowl of broth-based soup, suggests Barbara Rolls, PhD, author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan.

The U.S. government's dietary guidelines suggest that we get 7-13 cups of produce daily. Make sure you stock your kitchen with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and add a few servings at each meal. In doing so, you'll boost your intake of healthful vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber. In addition, if you fill up on low-calorie, nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables, you'll be less likely to binge on highly processed snacks.

8. Push the Envelope Past That Plateau

Hitting the treadmill every day for a 30-minute walk or doing the neighborhood loop with your buddies gets your body into a groove. After a while, your muscles get used to the routine and become very efficient at doing the task at hand.

To keep your muscles guessing -- and performing the ultimate calorie burn -- vary your physical activity. And push the envelope to power past that plateau!

For example, during your 30-minute treadmill session, include a few intervals at higher speed or at a higher incline (climb hills if you're walking outside). Sustain this higher intensity for a few minutes, and then return to your comfort level. After you recover, do it again -- and again. This will help you burn more calories and blast through the plateau.

Also make sure your routine includes strength-training exercises (like weight lifting), which help counteract muscle loss due to aging. Building and preserving muscle mass is a key factor in reaching a healthy weight, as muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat.

9. Wear a Pedometer

Wearing a pedometer each day and having a daily step goal can boost your activity level and burn more calories. Wearing a pedometer may also help decrease blood pressure.

Put the pedometer on first thing in the morning. Then make it a point to be more active: pace while you talk on the phone, take the dog out for an extra walk, and march in place during television commercials. Each 2,000 steps burn roughly 100 more calories, so aim for 10,000 steps daily for weight loss.

If you thrive on feedback and praise, buy a talking pedometer that rewards you by reporting aloud (and loudly!) the number of steps you've walked.

10. Try Yoga to Avoid Stress Eating

Stress eating is bingeing on food -- homemade chocolate chip cookies, salty chips, a handful of this, a fistful of that -- to soothe your inner emotional turmoil, not your real hunger. Studies show that yoga lowers levels of stress hormones and increases insulin sensitivity -- a signal to your body to burn food as fuel rather than store it as fat.

Britt Berg, MS, research manager and therapist at Emory University Medical School, recommends the "child's pose" to clients who want to avoid stress eating.

Start by kneeling on the floor on your hands and knees, making sure that your hands are under the shoulders and your knees under the hips, with toes touching. Stretch your neck forward and lengthen your spine through the tailbone. Gently rock the weight of your body back toward your feet, allowing your hips to stretch farther back as you continue to lengthen and stretch your spine.

Now, stretch your arms forward and walk your fingertips as far forward as they will go on the floor or rug, lengthening your arms fully. Extend your hips back until they come toward your heels. If you're very flexible, you may be able to rest your hips on your heels and your forehead on the floor.

Berg recommends putting your forehead on the rug or pillow to calm your mind. Do the "child's pose" any time you feel the urge to binge on high-calorie snacks.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

On page 236 Dr. Atkin's NEW Diet Revolution a Fat Fast to break a stall Two scrambled eggs with two strips of bacon 4x a day for 4 - 5 days ..... 1.200 calories a day
Old 08-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I do not have a concrete answer why weight loss start to slow down when we diet .... My only guess would be our bodies build a resistance at a certain weight loss point and we need to take a break and come back on plan and that is a major reason why I juggle between Atkin's and Stillman's .....
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
I'm with all of you stalled folks...sitting at the same weight for basically 5 days now, and getting tired of it!

Tempted to cheat, time. It sux so much to eat boring, dry food and then not lose an ounce. UGH! Hoping to get through the next few days without cheating, because I'm pretty sure if I stay with it the weight will start dropping again. Part of the problem may be my COPD meds...a steroid which can cause weight gain (or slow weight loss) I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting to the new med regimen...

Otherwise, I guess were in the August diet doldrums, diet dog days of Summer: whatever you want to call them.

Still working my rear off packing my house up,and getting ready for the move. Very close to the last few items that can't be packed until the night before or morning of the move. Hit one bump in the road with the termite inspection...they found some in the basement by the door to the outside. It's not a finished basement...basically an over-sized crawlspace. Guess it's not that big of a deal, they treat 'em and give the new owners some sort of certificate/warranty. But still...I sure want to get to the 17th, close on the sale and be DONE with this whole deal!

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
about why we stall with ATkins...I'm pretty sure hubby & I stalled on ATkins because we just plain were eating too many calories. THAT is very easy to do on Atkins...with the high fat version so many tout as the WAY to do Atkins these days. You just can't put full-fat cream in your coffee all day, eat lots of high fat dressing on your salads, slather the veggies with cheese and butter, and eat 16 oz of ribeye steaks and expect to lose weight. Just won't work once you get past the initial good weight loss. Eventually, you just hit the point that you're eating enough calories to maintain your current weight...and that's where we got to after losing well with Atkins March & April.

When we switched to Stillman's, we basically eliminated everything that was apt to cause an over-eat situation. It's hard to over-eat when the meats and fishes are dry, lol.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Soo I've been in Alabama for the past couple days and basically all the friends I'm staying with eat is fast food. I have been staying away from it but they don't even really have decent grocery stores out here it seems so I've just been getting what I can from Wal-Mart and Target that's decently healthy... lots of trail mix (lowest carb I can find), plain nonfat greek yogurt, and I just bought some frozen grilled chicken and string cheese today. They make fun of me for trying to eat healthy, but I figure I'd rather do that than eat crappy food and get sick everyday. I just feel bad for being the picky one. I leave for Michigan on Tuesday where I'm staying with family that I feel more comfortable with so it'll be easier then. I'm afraid of the scale now, though. Good thing they don't even own one! Today I did pretty good, had low sodium bacon and eggs for breakfast, some greek yogurt and trail mix for lunch, and a light string cheese and chicken breast for dinner. I haven't really been keeping up with my weight loss log either where I log all my foods but I guess I kinda expected all this. It's only going to be another week or two of eating like this and then I'll have more control when I'm able to cook at my dad's house. Guess I'm going back to Stillmans for the week or so that I'm there!

Last edited by littlelavender; 08-02-2012 at 09:35 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #26
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
I'm with all of you stalled folks...sitting at the same weight for basically 5 days now, and getting tired of it!

Tempted to cheat, time. It sux so much to eat boring, dry food and then not lose an ounce. UGH! Hoping to get through the next few days without cheating, because I'm pretty sure if I stay with it the weight will start dropping again. Part of the problem may be my COPD meds...a steroid which can cause weight gain (or slow weight loss) I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting to the new med regimen...

Otherwise, I guess were in the August diet doldrums, diet dog days of Summer: whatever you want to call them.

Still working my rear off packing my house up,and getting ready for the move. Very close to the last few items that can't be packed until the night before or morning of the move. Hit one bump in the road with the termite inspection...they found some in the basement by the door to the outside. It's not a finished basement...basically an over-sized crawlspace. Guess it's not that big of a deal, they treat 'em and give the new owners some sort of certificate/warranty. But still...I sure want to get to the 17th, close on the sale and be DONE with this whole deal!
I think you hit the nail on the head - August diet doldrums! That explains it. I know for me, the heat has bothered me more this past week than it has the first part of summer, my weight loss slowed and that is no fun, and for me, I'm in need of a vacation!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #27
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Soo I've been in Alabama for the past couple days and basically all the friends I'm staying with eat is fast food. I have been staying away from it but they don't even really have decent grocery stores out here it seems so I've just been getting what I can from Wal-Mart and Target that's decently healthy... lots of trail mix (lowest carb I can find), plain nonfat greek yogurt, and I just bought some frozen grilled chicken and string cheese today. They make fun of me for trying to eat healthy, but I figure I'd rather do that than eat crappy food and get sick everyday. I just feel bad for being the picky one. I leave for Michigan on Tuesday where I'm staying with family that I feel more comfortable with so it'll be easier then. I'm afraid of the scale now, though. Good thing they don't even own one! Today I did pretty good, had low sodium bacon and eggs for breakfast, some greek yogurt and trail mix for lunch, and a light string cheese and chicken breast for dinner. I haven't really been keeping up with my weight loss log either where I log all my foods but I guess I kinda expected all this. It's only going to be another week or two of eating like this and then I'll have more control when I'm able to cook at my dad's house. Guess I'm going back to Stillmans for the week or so that I'm there!
You are doing brilliantly! It is so difficult to eat healthy when you are not in charge of the eating arrangements. Enjoy your time with your friends!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #28
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! For the first time since my Tuesday night insanity, I am over the bloat! Remind me not to do that again! I don't usually go into the office on Friday but I need to go in for a bit either today or tomorrow. I'm going to walk - it will take me longer to walk than it will to do what I need to do!

And, speaking of shoes - ok, so we haven't spoken about shoes in a long time - but now that I brought it up - I've outgrown my shoes! They are too big for me. All of them! Like my clothes, I will have to nurse them along for a bit though.

Ok, my coffee is calling - Have a great Friday!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
about why we stall with ATkins...I'm pretty sure hubby & I stalled on ATkins because we just plain were eating too many calories. THAT is very easy to do on Atkins...with the high fat version so many tout as the WAY to do Atkins these days. You just can't put full-fat cream in your coffee all day, eat lots of high fat dressing on your salads, slather the veggies with cheese and butter, and eat 16 oz of ribeye steaks and expect to lose weight. Just won't work once you get past the initial good weight loss. Eventually, you just hit the point that you're eating enough calories to maintain your current weight...and that's where we got to after losing well with Atkins March & April.

When we switched to Stillman's, we basically eliminated everything that was apt to cause an over-eat situation. It's hard to over-eat when the meats and fishes are dry, lol.
i agree on eating too much, but also:
last night i found an incredible blog of a woman that had huge stalls with low carb, but kept searching and still believes in low carb. she has gone through many many of the different versions of low carb eating. one of her statements, and I think this is true, is that she said eating low carb for extended amounts of time (which all of us have--and been very good low carbers) can tend to affect your hormonal balance and the ketosis effect begins to be less effective. she also said that sometimes low carb (after a long time) can affect the thyroid, and that dr. atkins put a lot of his patients on thyroid medication at the very end of their journey of weight loss. from my experience, I lost 9 pounds in 2010 and was very strict with myself and had great success with maintaining for about 1.5 years, then overnight (like in a week), it all stopped working and i started gaining those 9 pounds back. i did everything under the sun to get the high fat atkins to work again, but it was not until stillmans-that i peeled those last 3 pounds off and even going to the low side of my goal once again. this past week for the first time i ate some almond butter and thought it would mess me up, but i was fine the next morning and even dropped a few ounces. She suggested to counteract these stalls, that a rest from the typical atkins would do the metabolism good, say 1 or 2 weeks, and then come back and start at it again. this all makes a lot of sense to me. after being on stillmans since the aprilish time frame, my body is now feeling wonderful and like it's working again. i'll try to find the link and post for everyone to read .
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

i have the link. the article and blog is called: how to tweak a low carb diet. It's from Kicken' Carb Clutter.

do you guys know if it's ok for me to post a link to articles and blogs? i posted a link 2 days ago and it was blocked. i don't want to get in trouble with the forum.
Closed Thread