Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
Littlelavender:

You started at my weight and are about my height and got down to 126 in about 3 months, have you had cheat days or cheat meals? or werer you strict the whole time?

Have you been smaller in the past?

I do plan on going back and reading your posts but I thought it might be easier to just ask haha

I ask because last year I lost about 20 pounds in 1.5 months on stills with lots of cheats and it still worked but then I kinda plateaued/got lazy but maintained until I stopped eating healthy and stopped watching portions (portions were my downfall).

I have a smaller frame but I am also Inuit and therefore have that kinda short muscular build so I don't know if I could get to your size ever but I wish I could get 125 but have wondered if 143 was the lowest I would get because I have always been chubby.
Well I started off with strict Stillmans but after a few weeks I kinda just made up my own WOE, kinda like a Stillmans-Atkins hybrid where I only ate meat and eggs pretty much (but I used recipes with spices and condiments that are not Stillmans legal), sometimes low fat cheese but no veggies or anything for about 2 months. The loss started slowing down after a bit so I tried doing the turkey burger diet that everyone was raving about for a while but it didn't give me the results it gave everyone else, so I tried fish instead and that worked! I would have an egg for breakfast almost every morning and then usually tilapia for lunch or dinner or both and that's when I started seeing steady loss again. But I did not eat any sweets or junk food whatsoever and pretty much only drank water and coffee. Then for the last month or so I started adding in some veggies occasionally (but no high starch/high carb veggies like potatoes or corn), then eventually some berries, and then recently some plain nonfat greek yogurt and nuts, and that's pretty much where I'm at now. More like an Atkins process, I guess, but I kept it low fat and high protein. I also did a really good job of keeping a log of exactly what I ate everyday and how much I weighed so I could have a reference point for what makes me gain/stall and what helped me lose. Recently I've been on vacation so I've been kinda forced to have a little dessert here and there that I wouldn't normally eat since I've been around for a lot of birthdays, and I do eat a piece or two of dark chocolate sometimes (one of the few things I really missed when I was more strict) but other than that, I don't really eat any processed food or junk food at all. I also recently started eating whole wheat bread very sparingly, like a piece of toast for breakfast with almond butter and raspberries/blueberries on top. So basically I just used Stillmans to kick start my weight loss and along the way, I've done a lot of research to learn about food, what's healthy, and how to eat right so I've implemented that in my maintenance plan. Well, even after eating this way, I'm still losing so I don't even know if it's considered maintenance yet! And I don't know if it's just because I'm young (only 20) and never dieted before or if it was my determination or what, but the whole process seemed relatively easy for me. I have no idea why I didn't eat this way before!

Also, like you, I have never been skinny. I've been overweight ever since I can remember, even as a child. I posted my whole story recently in the July thread somewhere I think. I never thought it'd be possible for me to get down to this weight either so don't discourage yourself!!! It is completely possible. I think a lot of it is just a mental game. You have to ease yourself into a WOE that you can consider a lifestyle change instead of just a "diet". Once I made that transition, I have never felt restricted or like I'm missing out on eating anything even though I stay low carb. Stillmans showed me that I don't need the processed junk I ate before, as well as the importance of portion control. It helped that I started to enjoy cooking so I would just find healthy alternative recipes to whatever I was craving. Instead of going for potato chips, I'd make myself some zucchini chips (saw you made them recently, they're awesome!) or if I wanted cheesecake, I'd find a low carb recipe with substitutions for all the junk instead of buying one at the store. Even though I don't write down what I eat everyday anymore, I try to estimate how many calories and carbs I eat in a day to keep track. Also, exercise is important!!! I started exercising at least 3-4 times a week and I think that made a big difference. I've been kinda slacking on my vacation but whenever I do get to exercise, I usually lose the next day. Soo really, don't give up! You did it once before, you can do it again and with even more success!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
Betty, i've been eating a lot of ground beef this last week and it's working well for me. i went to costo and picked up a huge plate of the 85/15%fat. I feel really great and for me beef is slimming. there are a lot of B vitamins (which i also take a B multi-vitamin) and they are good your metabolism and helping your body burn fat and proper utilization of the food for energy. if i don't take my B's then I start to not burn fat as well, i will see it after a couple of days without them. then i start again and in about 3 days my body start working better again.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
i lost 50lbs in 6 months when I was 20
I gain so easily but back then it seemed I could lose easily too. Getting older is for the birds.

I wasn't that hungry today. Well, nothing really sounds appetizing anyway with the choices we have, lol.

I wanted to have more cottage cheese but I realized I accidentally bought the lo fat kind with pineapple in it

my eats today:

~cottage cheese

~ 2 chicken breasts(thin sliced)

That's not a lot of food!

I made my family a cheesy chicken and broccoli with rice thing..nom nom nom. At least I get to smell it!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Also, like you, I have never been skinny. I've been overweight ever since I can remember, even as a child. I posted my whole story recently in the July thread somewhere I think.
Thats reassuring and I will go look for it

Thank you for taking the time to type out what I am sure you have covered in the last few months and congrats on your success and finding a plan that works for you!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

same weight this morning

Heading into day 3.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
Thats reassuring and I will go look for it

Thank you for taking the time to type out what I am sure you have covered in the last few months and congrats on your success and finding a plan that works for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
same weight this morning

Heading into day 3.
I'd try cutting out the cottage cheese for a day and see how that goes?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

gladly.
I don't even like cottage cheese that much. And only 1 store sells really good, fancy kind but it's pricey and time consuming to be running all over town to buy the good kind, lol.

I was hoping to be down some by Friday(my Birthday) so I can have some gosh darned cake
Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

I am frustrated to the max!

this perfectly depicts what I looked like this morning when I stepped on the scale and was still at the same weight after almost a week, which has never happened before on low carb even if I am not following stills I have always lost on low carb! I was actually shaking my fist and evereything and grumbling like that... the dogs were scared haha

What gives? Has there been hidden sugar in something that I didn't know about? I don't eat much cottage cheese, I stay away from most of the sugar substitute diet stuff, my dog even ate my chicken breast last night so my dinner was like 3 bites of chicken and 2 cups of decaf tea with nothing in it.

I lost 5 pounds the 1st week and nothing this week and I know thats good for most diets but not this one I should be losing that a week, I know I did in the past , anyone have any advice because I am so close to giving up and eating every carb I can find even if I don't even like them!

I started writing down my food yesterday so I can see exactly what I am eating and maybe see something I have missed or wasn't thinking about that is adding carbs or fat.

Last edited by Mar922; 08-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

I wish I could say something that would make it better.
I've been in this position of not being able to lose for 2 years.

And this is only my 3rd day..if I don't see a drop by tomorrow morning I'm not sure I'll be able to hang on..without results it's less than motivating.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

betty, are you doing zero carbs? by that i mean only low fat meat, eggs, lowfat chicken, lowfat fish.

what works for me is going low carb, low fat, low calories and moderate protein. i don't eat much and feel fine. i snack on protein through out the day. keep protein at around 90 percent (i log everything in ******). if i'm out of fat burning mode, it will take about a week for my body to go back into ketosis and i also have to exercise. i swam 30 minutes today and walked 2 hours or more.

going low calorie for four or five days in a row will also make you less hungry.

i know what i do might be a little extreme, but it keeps the weight off or takes it off. i tried atkins and had a horrible run. on and off gain 3 then lose 3. stillmans did help me, but it took longer than 3 days. i think i started in april and my 3 final hard pounds were gone by may. i know the feeling at the end of the day when you really want to eat, but just don't. put in the extra effort of not eating late, go to bed and you will wake up feeling much happier than the day before.

for instance. i had my last food tonight at around five pm, it was a large hamburger and i over indulged. of course my body says eat more, but i took my dog outside and walked for an hour instead. now i'm drinking lots of carbonated water and will not let myself eat until breakfast. so that gives me a mini fast from fivepm to around five am. (my day starts very early).

stillman is strict and is probably not for everyone, but for me it has been a life saver. no way of eating or diet pills can take the weight off over night. to loose one pound you have to decrease your calorie intake by 3500 calories, so if you reduce your food by 1000 each day, it would theoretically take 3.5 days to get one real pound off (not water weight). be a little more patient with yourself and your body.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

THE QUICK WEIGHT LOSS METHOD

This is a severe form of ketogenic diet.It is not easily
sustainable for the long term. It may be useful in breaking
plateaus and in those too impatient to allow their bodies
to take the fat off gradually at its own pace.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger.
If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed
yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat
again, but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better
off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as is
the general custom. But you limit yourself to this extensive list
of high protein foods.

1. LEAN MEATS, with all possible fat trimmed off. Includes beef,
lamb, veal. Eat it broiled, boiled, OR baked. No butter,
margarine, oil or other fats are to be used either in
the cooking or the eating.

2. CHICKEN AND TURKEY with all skin removed. Broiled, boiled
or roasted, with no butter, margarine, oil or other fats.

3. ALL LEAN FISH & SEAFOOD No butter, margarine, oil or other fats permitted in
preparation or serving. You may have cocktail sauce, horseradish,
ketchup-in moderation.

4. EGGS. Hard boiled preferably. Also soft or medium boiled eggs,
poached, or any type of fried eggs made in non-fat, non-stick pans
without butter, margarine, oil or other fats.

5. COTTAGE CHEESE, FARMER CHEESE, POT CHEESE made
with skim milk and no whole milk.

6. AT LEAST 8 GLASSES OF WATER PER DAY, absolutely essential
(10 ounce glasses). As much as you want of coffee and tea without
cream, milk or sugar. You may sweeten with non-caloric sweeteners
to taste. Enjoy all the club soda, vichy and non-caloric carbonated
beverages you wish, as often as desired.
You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, spices,
other herbs, cocktail sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces
or dressings. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no oils, no fats.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED-IF IT’S NOT LISTED HERE, DON’T EAT IT OR DRINK IT!

The eight <10 ounce> glasses of water daily are in addition to
whatever coffee, tea and non-caloric carbonated beverages you
drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put
into motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your
body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in
it’s wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat. [ketone bodies]
They must all be washed out of your system by water which also
serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.

Note: ketone bodies are not ashes, they are the by-product
of incomplete burning of fats.Ketones are to fat as charcoal is to
wood. Ketones can be burned for fuel by your body. Most people
have feedback loops to protect against ketosis-acidosis.

It is desirable to take vitamins daily with the diet, such as a
once-daily vitamin and mineral tablet.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE PRECEDING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

If you disregard the instructions and eat regular carbohydrates
or sugar or alcohol, you will stop burning up stored fat as
efficiently. Even one indiscretion, one mouthful of ice cream, for
example, will set you back a day or two.

You will lose the most weight on The Quick Loss Diet, most quickly,
if you eat only to satisfy your hunger pangs rather than to gratify
a desire to eat just for the pleasure of eating.

This diet has practically no residue (fiber).Therefore it is likely
that you may not have a bowel movement for a few days, although
not necessarily so. In any case don't be alarmed by any such lack.
[note: extra vitamin C or milk of magnesia is helpful in some cases]
Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #222
Senior LCF Member

i also do not eat meat that is processed from a deli (even if the labels says zero carb), and i do not eat meat from the can (like tuna or salmon). I have no luck when i eat this kind of meat.

i get my meat at costco and grill on a forman grill. Eggs: i eat one or two yolks each day, but the rest are whites. i saw a forum that noted when they cut their eggs out, that they started losing weight.?? just a suggestion.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Finally 1 pound off the scale!

I guess I was reading about other people success and comments about losing 5-10lbs a week and got swept into my own fantasy, lol
what a dream that would be.

This diet is hardcore that's for sure.

I don't eat eggs or cottage cheese. Well, I'm stopping cottage cheese as of today because all my good kind is gone and it's expensive and annoying to have to keep buying it. And I don't like eggs.

I've mostly been eating chicken and venison.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I guess I was reading about other people success and comments about losing 5-10lbs a week and got swept into my own fantasy, lol
I am finally down a pound too!

we have to remember as long as the scale is going down no matter how slow its still going in the right direction!

maybe we just needed to come on here and complain? haha
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

I changed to a new BC pill, I wonder if that has something to do with the slower loses this time around?

anyone lese notice anything like this?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure..as long as the hormones in them are the same. otherwise it can take your body time to adjust.

I had the Mirena for about 6weeks and haaaated it. I never could do BC pills but for some reason I thought the Mirena would be more 'gentle,' NOT!!!

I guess some are just more sensitive to hormones. Which is why the hubby is getting fixed
we are D-O-N-E having kiddos anyway, so

No more birth control, lol. At least when he gets the all clear. He's going on deployment when we get to HI so there's 6 months worth of BC right there
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

wow, I really babbled there, huh?

sorry!!! lol
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #228
Senior LCF Member

my sister, aunts, cousins all went on birth control and all gained lots of weight the same year they started taking the pill. none of them have ever taken it off and they were all really skinny girls.

i have never taken it because i thought that was what happened. i remained really thin (too thin) my whole life. 4 years ago i got married and gained 9 pounds from letting loose and eating a lot more with him and his family. now i have it toned back down from first trying atkins and then especially the last three pounds with stillman.

i definitely think the pill causes weight gain, even ibuprofen or antibiotics make me gain.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

This diet is hardcore that's for sure.

I don't eat eggs or cottage cheese. Well, I'm stopping cottage cheese as of today because all my good kind is gone and it's expensive and annoying to have to keep buying it. And I don't like eggs.

I've mostly been eating chicken and venison.
i have the stillman book and he suggest other kinds of extreme ways of eating, but he said some people do much better just eating the same food all day. yesterday i had 3 large 88%fat free beefburgers (grilled at home). i did also have eggs and chicken, but i noticed that the beef leaned me down. i had steered clear of beef, but thought i would get adventurous. Beef worked really well for me! i would say give that a try. there are lots of B vitamins in there. i have to take a complex B vitamin several times a day to keep my metabolism running well, too.

stillmans is strict, but once your body starts to respond, you will start to feel very happy you stayed the course.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

one other thing i do to get the weight moving downwards is to stay around 850 and not go over that. if i go even 60 -200 calories more it's not enough to get the scale moving.

i'm 90% if my food is protein then i am full on that amount of calories. sometimes you just have to hold yourself back from eating though and gut it out. mornings are always good for me when i eat well the day before.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

no weigh in for me today

It's my

I'm going off plan for today and tomorrow..nothing too crazy though. Tomorrow we're going to Six Flags.

Strict starting again on Sunday.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #232
Senior LCF Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BETTY!!! YEA, HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

TODAY i tried something different. I ate 4 large lean hamburgers. 85 percent lean. that is a lot of protein, the calories are not too high. They were rare, which i Love. I would like to have another yet, but this seems extreme. I will see what I feel like in the morning.

so few people posting. everyone taking vacation time?

Last edited by Shreem; 08-24-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Betty!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
TODAY i tried something different. I ate 4 large lean hamburgers. 85 percent lean. that is a lot of protein, the calories are not too high. They were rare, which i Love. I would like to have another yet, but this seems extreme. I will see what I feel like in the morning.

so few people posting. everyone taking vacation time?
How did that work for you?

In the past if I stalled a bit I would eat just 1 thing all day and that always seemed to get the scale moving for me, I think stills called them repetition diets? Why didn't I remember this last week!

I noticed its been slow but its the end of summer so maybe people are out enjoying it? uits been plus 30 here all week nice weather for the end of august!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
my sister, aunts, cousins all went on birth control and all gained lots of weight the same year they started taking the pill. none of them have ever taken it off and they were all really skinny girls.

i have never taken it because i thought that was what happened. i remained really thin (too thin) my whole life. 4 years ago i got married and gained 9 pounds from letting loose and eating a lot more with him and his family. now i have it toned back down from first trying atkins and then especially the last three pounds with stillman.

i definitely think the pill causes weight gain, even ibuprofen or antibiotics make me gain.
Yeah this is my new pill because I couldn't lose on the last one, at least I am losing slowly with this one and its a trial so if i get stuck again its back to the dr for me!

you only gained 9? lucky!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Mar922, the beef all day worked great! i'm so happy this morning. i was not sure what it would do and the beef did the trick. i went to the grocery store yesterday looking for the lowest fat ground beef i could find. there was 97% fat free, but it was so expensive, so i just decided to stay with the cheaper 85% fat free and it worked just fine! who knows, maybe the little bit of fat in there was actually helpful. I'm really excited about this!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

I'll be posting more..will be away from my computer today though. The weather isn't supposed to be great but we had already made plans to go to Six Flags..hope it's not an all day rain event..
we'll see!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Mar922, the beef all day worked great! i'm so happy this morning. i was not sure what it would do and the beef did the trick. i went to the grocery store yesterday looking for the lowest fat ground beef i could find. there was 97% fat free, but it was so expensive, so i just decided to stay with the cheaper 85% fat free and it worked just fine! who knows, maybe the little bit of fat in there was actually helpful. I'm really excited about this!
I just went and bought a bunch of extra lean ground turkey I have been having a few veggies this weekend as I have been feeling unsatisfied and it seems to be doing the trick but I am gonna have an all ground turkey day tomorrow and see if that can get me losing quick again.

I only lost 2 lbs this week not my normal 5 hopefully the turkey does the trick if not I will be visiting my dr and asking about my BC pill
Old 08-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

hope the weather cooperated, betty! Good luck tomorrow and so glad you are sticking with this. I did ground beef, chicken and I had a soy protein shake this morning. will do mostly chicken and eggs tomorrow I think. (leave out the soy).

Mar922, your turkey sounds awesome. great idea.

Last edited by Shreem; 08-26-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Closed Thread