Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Labhrain
Stats: 230/170/140
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: December 2010
New to forum and new to Stillman

Hello, all. I just joined this forum because my low carb journey has led me to the Stillman plan, and I see there is an active section for Stillman here.

A bit about me. I've been low carb eating since December of 2010. I started with Atkins (with a Primal approach,) and easily lost 60 pounds without too much effort or even worrying too much about counting (although I did track much of the time, but had successful periods without tracking.) Then, my weight loss came to a screeching halt. That was about 10 months ago. Since then, I've had nothing but difficulty getting things going. I still have 30 pounds to lose (40 would be better, but I'll take 30.)

I tried increasing carbs, I tried decreasing carbs. It didn't matter. The only thing that made a difference was eating fewer kcals. But, I could not sustain it for any length of time because the hunger was unbearable. The thing I found was that, whenever I would try to lower kcals, I would always do the oft-advised lowering of protein. The last go around, I lowered protein and told myself I wasn't going to worry about kcals until I got my hunger under control. I was assured that with a very low carb level in conjunction with a pretty low (but still adequate) protein level, that hunger would just "disappear." Well, it did not. In fact, the hunger go so bad I could not stand it. Even when I supplemented with more and more fat (common advice) the hunger just gnawed at me. I was eating 3,000+ kcals a day and was still so hungry it hurt! I finally gave in and ate some more protein and I felt better.

At this point, someone suggested Stillman, because it seems that I HAVE to have a decent amount of protein to keep my hunger manageable. And, the lower fat component of the plan will help get kcals down. So, today I start.

Last night I broiled a pork loin chop (after cutting off all the trimmable fat.) The finished weight was 8 oz., so I called 1/2 of it breakfast and 1/2 of it lunch. I also brought 4 hard boiled eggs, 2 for each meal. With my large appetite, I'm not taking any chances. I can't afford to fail due to hunger. Because I don't care if I eat the same foods day in and day out, I don't think I'm at high risk of boredom. And, I've gone zero carb before, so that's no big deal. The only difference here is the absence of the higher fat. Since satiety is a far bigger issue to me than getting to eat more fat, I'm fine with that.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to start off with a background and explain why I decided to go with Stillman after being on a more Atkins/Primal approach for so long.
Labhrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain View Post
Hello, all. I just joined this forum because my low carb journey has led me to the Stillman plan, and I see there is an active section for Stillman here.

A bit about me. I've been low carb eating since December of 2010. I started with Atkins (with a Primal approach,) and easily lost 60 pounds without too much effort or even worrying too much about counting (although I did track much of the time, but had successful periods without tracking.) Then, my weight loss came to a screeching halt. That was about 10 months ago. Since then, I've had nothing but difficulty getting things going. I still have 30 pounds to lose (40 would be better, but I'll take 30.)

I tried increasing carbs, I tried decreasing carbs. It didn't matter. The only thing that made a difference was eating fewer kcals. But, I could not sustain it for any length of time because the hunger was unbearable. The thing I found was that, whenever I would try to lower kcals, I would always do the oft-advised lowering of protein. The last go around, I lowered protein and told myself I wasn't going to worry about kcals until I got my hunger under control. I was assured that with a very low carb level in conjunction with a pretty low (but still adequate) protein level, that hunger would just "disappear." Well, it did not. In fact, the hunger go so bad I could not stand it. Even when I supplemented with more and more fat (common advice) the hunger just gnawed at me. I was eating 3,000+ kcals a day and was still so hungry it hurt! I finally gave in and ate some more protein and I felt better.

At this point, someone suggested Stillman, because it seems that I HAVE to have a decent amount of protein to keep my hunger manageable. And, the lower fat component of the plan will help get kcals down. So, today I start.

Last night I broiled a pork loin chop (after cutting off all the trimmable fat.) The finished weight was 8 oz., so I called 1/2 of it breakfast and 1/2 of it lunch. I also brought 4 hard boiled eggs, 2 for each meal. With my large appetite, I'm not taking any chances. I can't afford to fail due to hunger. Because I don't care if I eat the same foods day in and day out, I don't think I'm at high risk of boredom. And, I've gone zero carb before, so that's no big deal. The only difference here is the absence of the higher fat. Since satiety is a far bigger issue to me than getting to eat more fat, I'm fine with that.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to start off with a background and explain why I decided to go with Stillman after being on a more Atkins/Primal approach for so long.
I think that Stillmans may be a good way to go for you if you're okay eating so plain! All the protein really does help with curbing your hunger and if you stick to it really clean, it'll wipe your cravings away as well. That's interesting that you've heard to lower your protein if you lower your cals because most people find that increasing the protein and lowering the cals is what makes the hunger go away. One thing I would recommend that helped me break my stalls is eating fish. I keep saying this but I swear, tilapia is a magical fish! If you still get stuck, I would try that out instead (while also keeping the eggs so you're not eating fish for breakfast--gross!). Although it's kind of hard to eat for days at a time, I try to just have one or two straight fish days a week but I find that even if I eat it for one meal, it still helps. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress, that always helps hold you accountable! You can hop on over to the July thread if you'd like to join everyone there, that's where most people are subscribed to and post (someone makes a new main thread every month). Everyone here is very supportive and encouraging!
littlelavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, littlelavender. I love fish, and as gross as it really does sound, I've actually eaten it for breakfast before! I'm sure I'll be incorporating plenty of fish, since I do enjoy it, so it's good to hear that you've had a lot of success with fish in the diet.

I know that part of the point of Stillman is lowering fat to get those kcals down. So, I'm wondering, is it a good idea to limit egg yolks? I love them, and I consider them very, very healthful. And, I do enjoy eggs. But, if it's a good idea to stick with only a few yolks and mostly whites to keep the fat lower, I will do it. Of course, if it doesn't matter, I'm certainly good with that!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I would just play around with it and see because everyone is different. Egg yolks didn't really have any effect on my loss. When I did Stillmans (on more of a maintenance ish plan now), I had an egg for breakfast every morning and that worked fine for me. Considering that you're eating low fat for everything else, I want to say that it doesn't really matter. But maybe if you're still having trouble with whole eggs, you can switch to egg whites and see if that changes anything.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, littlelavender. Much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Sure thing!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain View Post

Hi Lahbrain. Our stories are almost exact. I lost 60 lbs. on LC'ing, then hit a brick wall too. I've been doing Stillmans for almost 2 weeks, and lost 8 lbs. already. I just joined the "July" thread as well, so now we can help each other stay motivated. The hunger thing was something I was concerned with too, but it hasn't been bad at all. I did notice that when I cut the fats way down, I started having cravings. Not hunger, but just cravings. I think it's only natural. This type of eating is about as strict as it can get, but the rewards are in line with the discipline needed to stay on it. I have been using diet Dr. Pepper Cherry as my crutch recently. I'm not real happy doing it, but it's keeping me on plan. I'll worry about weening off the soda when the time comes Good luck!
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi, Gladee88er. I think some of us just do better with more protein. But, if that be the case, the only way to get those kcals down and tap into our bodily fat stores, is to lower both energy sources - fats as well as the carbs. I wouldn't worry too much about the soda. You may lose your taste for it. I did early on (back in late 2010,) and it hasn't returned. Perhaps you'll have a similar experience. If not, I sure don't think it's the worst thing you can do. And, hey, if it helps you do what you need to do, then so be it.

Yes, this is strict, but I'm finding on day 3 that I'm getting results. I actually did not finish all my breakfast this morning, because I was full. I seem to have much better hunger control on Stillman than I did on a more conventional low carb plan, and that is very good thus far.

Congrats on that 8 pounds! It's great to see a stall broken. See you on the "July" thread and continued good luck to you!