Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Shirataki- the real thing

Im wondering about Shirataki Noodles- not the new 'Tofu shirataki, 40 cals a serving' but the older ones that are literally zero calories, zero carbs.

They are pure fiber- Im wondering if incorporating some of them into my meals would hurt- the extra fiber is always welcome on a low carb, low fat diet to move things along.

I dont see a problem with it, has anyone had any experiences with them on stillmans?
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
My comment will probably add nothing at all helpful to this thread, lol, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm looking for them, too. I'm no expert on Stillman's, but I *imagine* they'd be alright... Somebody else might know more, though. I have heard you can sometimes find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery near the lettuce (and, of course, Asian groceries) -- let me know if you have any luck!
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

FIND them? oh ya.

They are by the tofu- refrigerated, i am an expect as cooking them. I make all sorts of things, often with them. I get different sizes and shapes for different dishes. Probably eat them at least once a week. If i hit goal, i will integrate them into my diet and see if I still lose.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
you can try them, but I would offer a word of caution on trying to "tweak" Stillman's.

You will definitely not get the Stillman-promised loss results if you add items that are not on the Stillman's list...that's kind of the point of the diet: you eat what's on the list, and nothing else.

Once you start adding fiber and/or carbs, you're no longer doing Stillman's, you're doing generic low carb. Which will still work--but once you get past the initial water weight loss you get from any low-carb diet you will slow down if you're not following the actual Stillman's-approved-foods-list.

Many of us have found this one out the hard way...Stillman's works very, very well. But only if you follow it to the letter.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Just checked with a professional.

The Shirataki with Tofu are not legal. But the original Shirataki is legal. These didnt exist for the Dr. when writing the book. Recommended to limit the amount because of the risk of fecal impaction however. -Which is what I thought when I ran the numbers.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vyomguy
Stats: 221.2/177.2/160
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: June 11 2012
those doesnt taste so great by themselves.
vyomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
I am on stillmans and found they slowed my loss. so I cut them out for now. I use stillmans for quick weight loss- like right now I'm getting ready for a vacation in a week. If you are doing strict stillmans quick weight loss plan I would not use them. But fine for ongoing weight loss.
healthy for life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: Reached Goal!
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 28th May 2010
I used them and had no problems at all losing. We can not get the tofu type here in the UK. Wash them well and remember they need a lot of seasoning. I found them great chopped small when I made chicken noodle soup or in a chicken stir fry but like I said they really do need a lot of seasoning. Tried them in a spag bowl style dish and was very dissapointed....did not like them at all....found them too rubbery to eat when not chopped. That is my take.
makemeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011
The only reason they slowed my loss is because I would eat them all Every Time! On stills I always eat so little but because they felt like forbidden food I couldn't maintain my portion size If I had a normal portion they didn't make me gain.

The dukan diet is kind of like a revamped stills so sometimes if I am unsure about whether it is still friendly, because he developed the diet so long ago I refer to my dukan book to see if they would be allowed and I also figure if they will keep me on plan and are low carb I will have them anyways.

Vyomguy: I have tried both the tofu and the Yam fiber varieties both need to be seasoned well or be in something like a sauce or stirfry they are not as good on their own and they are not the same texture so if you are expecting noodles you will be disappointed. Although, they are great for sunomono salad almost the same texture too.
Mar922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BucketGirl24
Groupon is having a sell on them right now. You can get 24 bags for $39. There are a variety of noodles that you can get too.
BucketGirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote