Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Newbie starting tomorrow

Hi, everyone! I have been researching and considering trying Stillman's for a long time. I am a veteran low-carber, but my losses have slowed recently and I'm looking to mix it up a little. I am impressed with the results folks seem to get on this plan, and think it's something I could maintain in the short term before going back to "regular" low carb. Also doesn't hurt that I have a big family wedding coming up in three weeks, and I'd like to look nice! I have a couple of questions I'd love some help with though:

1) When I read the Stillman's 14-Day plan, it includes veggies. I have noticed most folks don't seem to be eating them, though, on the plan. Explain?

2) Is it ok to marinate meats in vinegar/water and spices? (no oil) -- what about a pre-packaged marinade (5 cal per serving, 0 carb)?

3) Artificial sweeteners -- do you use them and do you notice any stalls from them?

Thanks very much for your help -- I will post progress and I'm sure I'll be on here bugging y'all with more questions!
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Wanted to post one more thing (yep, I'm one of those sad and annoying people replying to my own thread -- lol)-- my stats are still correct, although the last time they were updated was over four years ago. How depressing is that? I have been up to 15 pounds higher since then, but have lost it over the past six months. For about 10 years now, I've been dreaming of Onederland -- and that is my current goal. I need to REALLY get there this time -- any advice appreciated.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vyomguy
Stats: 221.2/177.2/160
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: June 11 2012
welcome deen.

I would avoid veggies as they are carbs. The original stillman diet doesnt include those. Most people here dont eat vegggies.

Marinated meats might be fine..as long as they are lean meats.

Artificial sweeters do cause stall in many people. Even I had stall when I was taking diet coke. I would avoid it if you are looking for quick weight loss.

good luck.
vyomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Most of us do Stillman's QWL (quick weight loss) plan. Take a look at the stickies at the top of thee page. You will love how you feel as the weight comes off. Come join us on the July thread! We would love to have you!
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, I will definitely come joing the July thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gladee88er
Stats: 240 / 173.1 / 165
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Hi Deen. I am also a LC'er starting Stillmans today. I am getting closer to my ideal weight, and these last 10 lbs. or so are being very stubborn. I figured if I cycled my fat intake by doing low / high weeks for a couple weeks, it might get things going again. We could keep each other motivated. Todays menu for me:

B: 3 hard-boiled eggs

L: 8 oz. chicken breast

D: 8 oz. chicken breast

I have a feeling going cold-turkey on the fats is going to keep me hungry all the time, but people on here report not being hungry, although members seem to cheat alot doing this, but overall they still lose a lot. I'll check in a couple times a day and let you know how things are going. Good luck!
gladee88er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hey there -- happy first day, Gladee and good luck to you too! So far, so good for me -- I don't feel hungry at all (probably still in ketosis, since I'm mostly paleo/low carb anyway. Although I did have some chili with beans last night -- lol) Here's what I'm eating today:

breakfast: turkey sausage and tea (1 g carb, 7 g fat)

Lunch: shrimp cocktail (sugar-free cocktail sauce), 2 oz low fat cottage cheese
(6g carbs, 2g fat)

snack: sugar-free jello

Dinner: Chicken breast (O g carb, 1 g fat)

Drinking:
tea, water, coffee, seltzer, crystal light

In your opinion, is the crystal light and sugar-free jello going to mess me up? I know they're not the best for you and people tend to get stalled on them. Interested in people's thoughts...
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

That looks pretty good Deen. Personally, I've used AS on LC for the past year or so and still lost a lot of weight, but on Stillmans plan, I'm staying away from it. Going so low-fat may increase my appitite, so I don't want to take the chance of craving anything.

As far as sugar-free jello goes, that to me is a non-food, and I don't see the point in even eating it. Eating this low-calorie, you should be striving for the best nutritional bang for your buck! At this point I'm not eating for enjoyment. If I enjoy food too much, all I think about is eating. You're better off eating another chicken breast, but hey...if you like it, and you're still losing, I say have at it
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Just had lunch WAY earlier than I normally would if I would have had my normal, higher fat breakfast. I can see I'd better pick up another family pak of chicken breasts while I'm ramming the roads today
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladee88er View Post
As far as sugar-free jello goes, that to me is a non-food, and I don't see the point in even eating it. Eating this low-calorie, you should be striving for the best nutritional bang for your buck!
Yeah, I totally hear ya with this. Sometimes I get in that mentality that I'm going to need a "treat" or something so I won't feel deprived -- and most of the time it's not even something that I enjoy that much. I can't tell you how many carbs I've wasted over the years on crappy low-carb "crackers" and "breads"

No more -- I'm serious this time -- I don't want to sacrifice a whole day of good eating on some crystal light and sugar-free boiled hooves! So, ok -- I'm inspired now -- I'm going to try to stay as clean as possible. Haven't had the cottage cheese yet -- just don't want it. Yet. I'm sure the evening will be a different story -- since that is usually my most craving-heavy time.

How do you do at night, Gladee -- and what do you do for exercise?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 03/26/12
Hi there,

On Stillman's, you are allowed to eat as much of what's on the menu to satisfy your appetite. It is NOT a calorie counting plan.

You can eat as many times as you need to of eggs, lean meats, low fat cottage cheese, etc.

Drink lots of water!

If you need a snack between meals, eat a hard boiled egg, or a couple more ounces of lean meat or low fat cottage cheese.

Last night was the first time I drank a couple glasses of Crystal Light. Did not deter from the plan at all. Today, I'm up .5... so I'm going to watch that and see if that is the culprit!

Finally got to "ONEDERLAND"! Now for the next 10#. I kind of make these mini small 10# increments for me because they seem to make a big difference in how I feel and my clothes fit.

Have a successful weight loss day, staying on Stillman's plan!
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen73 View Post
Yeah, I totally hear ya with this. Sometimes I get in that mentality that I'm going to need a "treat" or something so I won't feel deprived -- and most of the time it's not even something that I enjoy that much. I can't tell you how many carbs I've wasted over the years on crappy low-carb "crackers" and "breads"

No more -- I'm serious this time -- I don't want to sacrifice a whole day of good eating on some crystal light and sugar-free boiled hooves! So, ok -- I'm inspired now -- I'm going to try to stay as clean as possible. Haven't had the cottage cheese yet -- just don't want it. Yet. I'm sure the evening will be a different story -- since that is usually my most craving-heavy time.

How do you do at night, Gladee -- and what do you do for exercise?
You sound motivated Deen! I'll try to help set an example for you. Done good so far today, but feel weird and irritable. Had eggs this morning, chicken for lunch, and going to have another round of chicken in a minute.

As for the evenings, I've got them down for the most part. I've found that upping my fat during the day has helped with late-night eating. The Leptin Reset "big breakfast" works very well for me. I try not to eat after 7:00 p.m., but if I do, it is some protein mixed with broccoli and cauliflour, or a tbls. of Coconut oil.

As for exercise, currently I am only working out with weights. I try to hit each bodypart twice a week. I used to do 45 minutes, 6 days a week on the cybex stairmater at Planet Fitness, but I think I ate a little more when I was doing it. Still made me feel better, and look better. At the moment, it's too damn hot to even get out of the chair

I have to admit Deen, low carbs and low fat has me feeling really crappy at the moment, but I'm going to try to white-knuckle it until Saturday. I thought where I was already following strict LC this would be a breeze, but that dosen't seem to be the case at the moment. Maybe I'm detoxing off the AS's...not really sure? I miss the veges and the butter at the moment too. Things should get better tomorrow. Ideally, I'd like to train myself to be able to go between this and my regular LC plan to get ripped! Good luck getting through tonight You can do it!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
Hi there,

On Stillman's, you are allowed to eat as much of what's on the menu to satisfy your appetite. It is NOT a calorie counting plan.

You can eat as many times as you need to of eggs, lean meats, low fat cottage cheese, etc.

Drink lots of water!

If you need a snack between meals, eat a hard boiled egg, or a couple more ounces of lean meat or low fat cottage cheese.

Last night was the first time I drank a couple glasses of Crystal Light. Did not deter from the plan at all. Today, I'm up .5... so I'm going to watch that and see if that is the culprit!

Finally got to "ONEDERLAND"! Now for the next 10#. I kind of make these mini small 10# increments for me because they seem to make a big difference in how I feel and my clothes fit.

Have a successful weight loss day, staying on Stillman's plan!
Hi foxylady. Congrats on entering onederland! Short-term goals are the way to go. I was wondering about the fat-free cottage cheese. I used to eat it alot, but it's been over a year since I've had it because of the carbs. I wonder why it's allowed on this plan? Isn't it too high in carbs. The reason why I ask is because I used to be able to eat a whole tub of it in one sitting if I wasn't careful. Maybe that's just a no-no food for me I'd love to be able to eat some, but I think I would be a tub-a-day guy while on this plan
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Gladee -- hopefully it's just temporary. And, yes, it could be the withdrawal from the AS's. So far, so good for me -- it felt a little weird frying up my turkey sausage in a dry pan this morning -- I'm so used to using a generous pat o' butter (and man, do I love my butter). So far no cravings, though. I mean, I don't love the food (or lack of variety), but I don't hate it either. It's just kind of there -- fuel and nothing else. I took your advice and had some leftover pork from a past dinner in lieu of the sf jello. Soooo... tomorrow the scale shall reveal all! lol Good luck.

p.s. -- I bought those little cottage cheese cups (they're 2%, I think) that have the same 'active live cultures' as Activia yogurt -- maybe those would help you with the portion control?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Gladee -- hopefully it's just temporary. And, yes, it could be the withdrawal from the AS's. So far, so good for me -- it felt a little weird frying up my turkey sausage in a dry pan this morning -- I'm so used to using a generous pat o' butter (and man, do I love my butter). So far no cravings, though. I mean, I don't love the food (or lack of variety), but I don't hate it either. It's just kind of there -- fuel and nothing else. I took your advice and had some leftover pork from a past dinner in lieu of the sf jello. Soooo... tomorrow the scale shall reveal all! lol Good luck.

p.s. -- I bought those little cottage cheese cups (they're 2%, I think) that have the same 'active live cultures' as Activia yogurt -- maybe those would help you with the portion control?
Good deal! We both made it through the first day. Feel much better now. Must have been the heat. It is weird not using butter. I had some of that butter flavored pam spray in the cupboard I dusted off and used today. I don't really trust the stuff, but it works for now.

I looked at some fat free cottage cheese today, and I think I could safely eat about 1/2 the container and only get 15 gms. of carbs, so I may pick some up in a couple days. I'm going to try to tough it out with this chicken and egg thing for a few more days if I can. Glad you ditched the jello today. The protein is a much better choice. Let me know how tommorrow goes. Stay focused on the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Here we go Deen! Day 2. Just finished 3 scrambled eggs with 1 chicken breast. Heading out to get my coffee right now (black...no cream or AS). I can tell I lost some water weight already. This is starting to show some promise already. Lunch will be 1 chicken breast. Dinner will be 1 chicken breast. I'm starting to see a pattern develop here
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Oh yeah...good luck today. Stay strong!!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Ok, day 2 -- here we come! Well, I've already been worse today... lol Not too bad -- I snagged a few bites of the sugar-free jello. It was calling to me. My menu's going to be exactly the same as yesterday's, and I've already had the turkey sausage and tea. Did you weigh yet? I couldn't resist -- 2 lbs down from yesterday morning. I'll take it!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 03/26/12
I had some shrimp last night with cocktail sauce and a bite of chicken. No cottage cheese or hard boiled egg. Down 1.5# today, so I am a happy camper. Tonight I'm making talapia with either eggs or cottage cheese. I notice a much bigger loss if I do fish at night. Have you tried it?
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Remykins
Stats: 139/132/128
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: May 6th 2009
Can I jump in late on this? Pretty please? I started this morning, so far it has been eggs, egg drop soup and dinner a lean pork chop. 100oz of water daily.

137 this morning, Im thinking to stay on until 132, then head back to induction.
Remykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remykins View Post
Can I jump in late on this? Pretty please? I started this morning, so far it has been eggs, egg drop soup and dinner a lean pork chop. 100oz of water daily.

137 this morning, Im thinking to stay on until 132, then head back to induction.
Welcome to our motivation thread Remykins. The more the merrier! Sounds like a good start I might have to make a big batch of that egg drop soup.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remykins View Post

Quote:
Ok, day 2 -- here we come! Well, I've already been worse today... lol Not too bad -- I snagged a few bites of the sugar-free jello. It was calling to me. My menu's going to be exactly the same as yesterday's, and I've already had the turkey sausage and tea. Did you weigh yet? I couldn't resist -- 2 lbs down from yesterday morning. I'll take it!
That's ok Deen...you're doing good. Funny you mentioned weighing. I usually go a month or more sometimes without weighing myself, but I was at a friends house this morning, and noticed a set of digital scales in the bathroom (I don't even own any scales). I jumped on and I was shocked...175! Finally broke this stall. I had been doing strict induction for the last 2 weeks, so my best guestimate is I had gone from 180 to probably 178. I find it hard to believe I could have lost 3 pounds of water in one day, but it's probably close.

I'm going to get some digital scales tomorrow so I can track things over the next couple of weeks. I was a little sceptical at first, but this definately works. First time in my life I have done both LC and low fat at the same time. I have zero hunger. I'm just now eating my second meal of the day at 3:30 p.m. I ate breakfast at 8:00 a.m. Thank God my AS hangover is gone too
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
I had some shrimp last night with cocktail sauce and a bite of chicken. No cottage cheese or hard boiled egg. Down 1.5# today, so I am a happy camper. Tonight I'm making talapia with either eggs or cottage cheese. I notice a much bigger loss if I do fish at night. Have you tried it?
Way to keep it strict foxylady! I like the fish idea. I know by Friday I'm going to be sick of chicken breast, so I'm going to jump on the fish bandwagon here soon. Sounds like we're all doing good so far.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladee88er View Post
Welcome to our motivation thread Remykins. The more the merrier! Sounds like a good start I might have to make a big batch of that egg drop soup.
Its yummy- I add white pepper and celery salt. Very good.
If you want it more 'asian' Add a little tiny bit of low carb soy sauce, a drop of sesame oil, and maybe a little finely chopped green onion.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

That sounds really good. I've never used sesame oil in my cooking. I need to add that to my pantry. Well, my "pantry" is actually just a cabinet above my sink in my RV
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hey, FoxyLady and Remykins -- nice to have you on board! Today went pretty well -- did have the sf jello, but I tried a ketostick later in the day and still seemed to be in very good ketosis. Will see what the scale says tomorrow, though... Here was my menu for the day:

B: 2 turkey sausage, tea

L: Shrimp cocktail, sf cocktail sauce

Snack: low fat cottage cheese cup, sf jello

D: 2 pieces cod, sauteed in chicken broth and a 1/4 c. wine (1 carb per 1 cup serving of the wine)

And drank all my water. From the sound of it, you're doing awesome, guys -- good luck and good night!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Great job Deen! I had same as yesterday, except I added a chicken breast to my 3 eggs this morning, and one black coffee.

only water today afyer the morning coffee. No cravings at all today. This isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Ready for more of the same tomorrow! Good luck everyone, and good night.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, made it through. I ended up having more egg drop soup- maybe it was the salt because today I am up .2lbs.

Ok, today i am going to extremely clean, second day is always easier for me than the first detox day.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hope everyone is feeling good this morning. Woke up this morning with zero hunger, so this should be an easy day.

B: 3 eggs, chicken breast, black coffee

supplements: 2 GMC mega-mens vitamins, 2 green tea tabs, 2 fish oil tabs, 10 grams L-Arginine. Good luck everyone!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

B: Ground Turkey Breast patty
L: Herb Shrimp (5 jumbo)
S: 2 Scrambled Eggs
D: Beef Tenderloin 6oz trimmed-grilled

100oz of water, plus 2 diet sodas, one powerade zero.