Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmikelaw
Stats: 425/230/195
WOE: Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Start Date: November 2009
How did I gain 2.4 lbs in the 1st 2 days?

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here on and off for a couple of years and now it's time to post. Here's a little background on me. I started low-carbing in November 2009 at a starting weight of 425 lbs. Along the way I lost 200 lbs. and as of May 18th I was down to 223 lbs. The next week however I was 230 lbs. This was with no change in diet or activity. After a week of being extra careful and not seeing a drop in weight I went on the Atkins fat fast. Within four days I was down to 224 lbs. I skipped weighing myself for a week, but Monday I was 227.4 lbs. I decided then to try Stillman's QWL diet. By Tuesday I was 229.6 lbs and today I was 229.8 lbs. What could be going on? I was expecting to at least be 225 by now. How can I gain eating nothing but lean protein and water? Here's what I've eaten:

Monday:
4.5 oz baked skinless chicken breast - 140 cal, 0g carb, 29g protein, 1.5g fat
3 oz broiled lean steak fat removed - 169 cal, 0g carb, 31g protein, 4.2g fat
2 hard boiled eggs - 140 cal, 2g carb, 12g protein, 10g fat
1 cup decaf coffee w/ stevia and 1 tsp - 10 cal, 1g carb, 0g protein, 0g fat
10 8 oz glasses of water
Total: 459 cal, 3 carb, 72g protein, 15.7g fat

Tuesday:
3 hard boiled eggs - 210 cal, 3g carb, 18g protein, 15g fat
6 oz tuna in water - 191 cal, 0g carb, 42.1 protein, 1.4g fat
10 8 oz glasses of water
Total: 551 cal, 4 carb, 89.1g protein, 17.9g fat

I don't get it. It's not only VLC, but also low fat and low calorie. I'm not hungry. As a matter of fact I feel stuffed. I'm also producing plenty of urine and don't see any fluid build up so where did the 2.4 lb. gain come from.? Has anyone else experienced this?
bigmikelaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Hello First off, congratulations for losing 200 pounds. That is truly an awesome accomplishment.

I am by no means an expert. Your diet looks great. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe your body is just use to what you are doing now. I have heard that it can happen quite suddenly. You may have to add some exercise. If you already do, change the routine.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members can come up with some ideas.

I wish you all the best luck on getting your body to respond. You have come so far.
BrattyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikelaw View Post
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here on and off for a couple of years and now it's time to post. Here's a little background on me. I started low-carbing in November 2009 at a starting weight of 425 lbs. Along the way I lost 200 lbs. and as of May 18th I was down to 223 lbs. The next week however I was 230 lbs. This was with no change in diet or activity. After a week of being extra careful and not seeing a drop in weight I went on the Atkins fat fast. Within four days I was down to 224 lbs. I skipped weighing myself for a week, but Monday I was 227.4 lbs. I decided then to try Stillman's QWL diet. By Tuesday I was 229.6 lbs and today I was 229.8 lbs. What could be going on? I was expecting to at least be 225 by now. How can I gain eating nothing but lean protein and water? Here's what I've eaten:

Monday:
3 oz broiled lean steak fat removed - 169 cal, 0g carb, 31g protein, 4.2g fat
2 hard boiled eggs - 140 cal, 2g carb, 12g protein, 10g fat
10 8 oz glasses of water
Total: 459 cal, 3 carb, 72g protein, 15.7g fat

Tuesday:
3 hard boiled eggs - 210 cal, 3g carb, 18g protein, 15g fat
6 oz tuna in water - 191 cal, 0g carb, 42.1 protein, 1.4g fat
10 8 oz glasses of water
Total: 551 cal, 4 carb, 89.1g protein, 17.9g fat

I don't get it. It's not only VLC, but also low fat and low calorie. I'm not hungry. As a matter of fact I feel stuffed. I'm also producing plenty of urine and don't see any fluid build up so where did the 2.4 lb. gain come from.? Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, congrats on losing 200 lbs -- awesome!!

I am also no expert, but your calories look very low... your body may be hanging onto every lb, even though you aren't "starving." Maybe calculate how many calories your body needs (google for caloric need calculator), and subtract 500 from that. For example, my maintenance calorie level is 1500, so I usually try to eat 1000-1200 to lose weight. You could try raising your calories a bit and see what happens? Or, you may want to stay on your current plan for a few more days and see what happens... maybe you will see a whoosh!

Good luck!

ETA: I just noticed you are in Maryland and I know it has been extremely hot there... maybe your body is just retaining water from all the heat?? It looks like you are getting enough water, but just another factor that may be at play here.

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.

Last edited by Macc0021; 07-04-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
Yes, congrats on losing 200 lbs -- awesome!!

I am also no expert, but your calories look very low... your body may be hanging onto every lb, even though you aren't "starving." Maybe calculate how many calories your body needs (google for caloric need calculator), and subtract 500 from that. For example, my maintenance calorie level is 1500, so I usually try to eat 1000-1200 to lose weight. You could try raising your calories a bit and see what happens? Or, you may want to stay on your current plan for a few more days and see what happens... maybe you will see a whoosh!

Good luck!

ETA: I just noticed you are in Maryland and I know it has been extremely hot there... maybe your body is just retaining water from all the heat?? It looks like you are getting enough water, but just another factor that may be at play here.
Maybe you're right. I feel a bit sloshy by the end of the day even though my urine output has been good. After I went from 223 to 230 I knew it had to be fluid so I did an Atkin's fat fast for 4 days and lost 6 lbs. Of course that was mostly water. My urine output doubled for about the first two days and I dumped the weight quick. Also, the fat fast is between 1200-1400 calories a day so maybe I'm not getting enough calories as you say. Then again I'm 51 now so age may be a factor.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Well. The 5th was better. I was 227 lbs. on the nose in the AM. Of course that's after spending the night peeing like crazy. I stopped on the scale again today (the 6th) and was up to 227.4 lbs, which was my start weight on Monday. Stillman's doesn't seem to be working all that quickly for me. Maybe since VLC has been my normal way of eating for nearly 3 years Stillmans isn't as effective as it would be on a first timer coming from high carb SAD. Also, even though I've been drinking an average of 3 liters a day I still feel "sloshy". These 95-100 degree temps must be causing my body to conserve fluid. I'll give it until Monday and then decide whether to continue or get back to my normal VLC.

Last edited by bigmikelaw; 07-06-2012 at 10:45 AM..