Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
Thank you !!!! yes, lack of exercise was my culprit .... I know you will be 132 by Monday .... that whoosh is on its way seriously, it would always come right at the end of (TOM) Next time I buy wine I am going to try Skinny wine .... I white wine ....
Where do you get Skinny Wine?! I can never find it when I look for it at the store.

Edit: Just saw your Skinnygirl link... hmmm do you have to order it online though or would it be at a store like BevMo?

Last edited by littlelavender; 07-21-2012 at 06:46 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Find the full line of Skinnygirl Cocktails at the following retailers: Skinnygirl Cocktails

If you cannot find in a local store near you, email us: icantfindskinnygirl@bethenny.com.

lil lav , this might help you find Skinny drinks .... btw how are you feeling ? I hope that sunburn left you with a gorgeous tan ....
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I am back from vacation. I ate awful and I am scared to get on the scale tomorrow.
I will be back on plan starting tomorrow.
Welcome to all the new people!

I am SO happy for you!
Welcome back Bratty !!!! I hope that you and your family enjoyed yourselves .... Do not fret Dr. Stillman's is here to the rescue .... You will get down on that scale .... I had to increase my meals to six a day with yogurt due to the antibiotics that I am taking .... I started them on Monday and I was so nauseous at first I threw up .... I then ate some chicken & low sodium chicken broth, a nice big bowl and a sugar free jello, took a nap and when I woke up I felt much better.... Then before my next dose, I ate a sugar free, light vanilla activia and was fine .... I was feeling so much better that I went on a cleaning spree giving away stuff that I no longer have use for and throwing away plenty too .... I also adore www.galadarling.com .... I find her website not only totally amazing but, inspiring as well .... check it out .... I am so glad to be taking a break and settling down before bed this place my refuge ....

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
Find the full line of Skinnygirl Cocktails at the following retailers: Skinnygirl Cocktails

If you cannot find in a local store near you, email us: icantfindskinnygirl@bethenny.com.

lil lav , this might help you find Skinny drinks .... btw how are you feeling ? I hope that sunburn left you with a gorgeous tan ....
Ahh gotcha, thank you! I'm doing better, thanks for asking! I definitely got a tan but it still looks funky because of the placement. I'm just glad I can move now without wanting to cry!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #336
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning! Happy Sunday! My scale is being silly this morning so I'm not talking about it! : )

Angelstill - I'm glad your tooth is feeling better. I was worried when you disappeared! I like flylady too. I was just thinking about her the other day - I've gotten out of the routine. I am probably going to be moving in a few months and I need to start getting organized. My dd and family are moving - their house is on the market. She has had two yard sales and will have a final one. I want to put a bunch of stuff in her last sale so I need to get motivated!

Littlelav - you now have a great excuse to get more sun - to even out your tan! Remember your sunscreen. I've been lurking on the starting tomorrow thread too - it was nice to see your story all in one post! You should share it here too! Sometimes we forget how far each of us have come.

Bratty - welcome back from vacation. Leave the scale alone and just focus on eating clean now and enjoying the memories of a great vacation!

I am going on vacation the end of August. I'll be staying at my son's house for a lot of it so eating the Stillman's way will not be an issue. But there will be time spent at a friend's house. I'm not going to stress - she doesn't believe in low carb - doesn't think it is good for you. So, I'll just eat what I'm served and enjoy myself. She does cook healthy - i.e. no fried foods, lots of organic. I'll be fine.

I need to put a finishing touch on my sermon so I best be at it. And btw - ug. I've got to wear a dress today. Everything else is too big!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hi Bratty!

MMS please do keep the chiro as a plan B. Fibro sucks and there is no real reason to suffer with it.

Angel, check out the fiber menace (Google it) not very well written but I beleive it is true. Fiber is an optional occurance in the true human diet and not a necessity.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good morning! Happy Sunday! My scale is being silly this morning so I'm not talking about it! : )

Bratty - welcome back from vacation. Leave the scale alone and just focus on eating clean now and enjoying the memories of a great vacation!

I am going on vacation the end of August. I'll be staying at my son's house for a lot of it so eating the Stillman's way will not be an issue. But there will be time spent at a friend's house. I'm not going to stress - she doesn't believe in low carb - doesn't think it is good for you. So, I'll just eat what I'm served and enjoy myself. She does cook healthy - i.e. no fried foods, lots of organic. I'll be fine.

I need to put a finishing touch on my sermon so I best be at it. And btw - ug. I've got to wear a dress today. Everything else is too big!
Shine today Mim!

And enjoy time with friends and family!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
hi Bratty!

MMS please do keep the chiro as a plan B. Fibro sucks and there is no real reason to suffer with it.

Angel, check out the fiber menace (Google it) not very well written but I beleive it is true. Fiber is an optional occurance in the true human diet and not a necessity.
CCGirl. I can't thank you enough for the fiber menance tip. i don't eat any vegetables and feel so much better without them. i used to be a vegetarian, so i do know the difference. i feel wonderful without them!! i feel wonderful eating the stillmans way.. also: i used to be constipated all the time, so i always had to drink a special tea and swiss kriss at night. this has been completely fixed since i started stillmans. it's really too good to be true for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Angelstill - I'm glad your tooth is feeling better. I was worried when you disappeared! I like flylady too. I was just thinking about her the other day - I've gotten out of the routine. I am probably going to be moving in a few months and I need to start getting organized. My dd and family are moving - their house is on the market. She has had two yard sales and will have a final one. I want to put a bunch of stuff in her last sale so I need to get motivated !
Oh yes mim flylady is super awesome and she will get you motivated !!!! My home is looking so comfy and roomy now that I am back flying lol.... I remember when I first started with baby steps .... Then I lapsed into an unmotivated slump and things piled on including my weight.... I am feeling much better now and back on track !!!! Good luck with your move mim !!!! You are very kind to worry about me .... Thank you dear friend
Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Bratty, I was a vegan for three years...........and watched as my body went to hell. Graying hair, receding gums, cavities, perimenopausal, and skin tags/strange red bumps. Converting to paleo saved my teeth, my gray hair fell out and grew back blonde, and no more strange bumps. Even got the TOM back foor awhile. There is nothing normal about vegetarianism.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
OMG Bratty, I was a vegan for three years...........and watched as my body went to hell. Graying hair, receding gums, cavities, perimenopausal, and skin tags/strange red bumps. Converting to paleo saved my teeth, my gray hair fell out and grew back blonde, and no more strange bumps. Even got the TOM back foor awhile. There is nothing normal about vegetarianism.
CCGirl: you and i had the same experience. i was vegetarian for years. this way of eating makes me look 25 years younger. i was in a store with a friend recently that is in her 40's and they thought i was her daughter. i have no wrinkles. clear skin. my body is lean and very young looking. it fixed ALL my health problems, and my teeth are much better, too, now. i saw my yoga instructor recently after years of being away from her class. she went completely into macrobiotics etc. it was like she was an old woman. i was so thankful to find atkins and now stillmans!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

here is some background information on the fiber menace: (i eat no veggies at all now and feel so much better. no more constipation or bloatiness.)

ok, my lovely and dear carnivore/ stillmans, atkins friends. (keep eating your meat/protein/eggs!!)

Fiber Menace: Excerpts from the book

Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer [Paperback]
Fiber Menace is for people who believe fiber prevents cancers, reduces the risk of heart disease, regulates blood sugar, wards off diabetes, lowers appetite, induces weight loss, cleanses the colon, and eliminates constipation.

Tragically, none of it is true, and Fiber Menace explains why it’s the complete opposite. Most of those findings have been well known and widely publicized even before Fiber Menace’s release. Here are some of the most striking examples:

— Fiber doesn’t ward off colon cancer, according to the Harvard School of Public Health: “For years, Americans have been told to consume a high-fiber diet to lower the risk of colon cancer […] Larger and better-designed studies have failed to show a link between fiber and colon cancer.” Scores of other studies, cited in Fiber Menace, have demonstrated that fiber increases the risk of colon cancer. (p. 181)

— Fiber doesn’t prevent breast cancer either, according to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. In fact, it’s the complete opposite: “Carbohydrate intake was positively associated with breast cancer risk.” Fiber happens to be a carbohydrate too, and carbohydrates are the only food that contains fiber. (p. 183)

— Fiber doesn’t reduce the risk of heart disease, according to the American Heart Association: “A fiber supplement added to a diet otherwise high in saturated fat and cholesterol provides dubious cardiovascular advantage.” Furthermore, these supplements caused “reduced mineral absorption and a myriad of gastrointestinal disturbances” — factors that in fact, contribute to heart disease. (p. 41)

— Fiber doesn’t counteract diabetes, according to the Harvard School of Public Health: “Fiber intake has also been linked with the metabolic syndrome, a constellation of factors that increases the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes.” Truth is, fiber requires more insulin or drugs to control blood sugar, and makes diabetes even more devastating. (p. 220)

— Fiber doesn’t curb appetite, according to the Jean Mayer U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University: “…fiber supplements did not alter hunger, satiety or body weight in a pilot study of men and women consuming self-selected diets.” In fact, fiber stimulates appetite, extends digestion, expands stomach capacity, and makes you hungrier the next time around. (p. 60-76, or here.)

— Fiber doesn’t keeps “colon clean” by speeding elimination, according to the highly respected and authoritative Rome II: The Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders textbook: “There is little or no relationship between dietary fiber and whole gut transit time.” In fact, fiber delays transit time more than does any other food ingredient, and is the primary cause of chronic constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's disease. (p. 21,23, 29, 103)

— Fiber doesn’t relieve chronic constipation, according to the American College of Gastroenterology Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders Task Force: all legitimate clinical trials demonstrated no “improvement in stool frequency or consistency when compared with placebo.” How could it, if it caused it in the first place? (p. 105, 115)

But that's only a small part of fiber’s menacing role in human nutrition. It also has it’s imprint in practically all digestive disorders. In that context, learning from Fiber Menace diet may end up becoming one of the most transformational experiences of your life.

Last edited by Shreem; 07-22-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

angelstill: i'm new. what do you mean by "flying" again.?? ty.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #345
Senior LCF Member

As for fiber goes it does not help me with bathroom issues .... I drink my lemon water and it is amazing and good for you limes also work the same .... The only grain I am interested in consuming is Quinoa due to it's high protein content and health benefits .... I miss my fruits, not so much my veggies .... And the only 2 things I truly hate on this diet ok make it 3 things .... 1. I hate eggs, 2. cheese causes a stall or slows down the weight loss process and 3. water sheesh all that water .... however , I am learning to make friends with water sooner than with eggs
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

angelstill: you are so good! i happen to love eggs. it's embarassing how many i go through. i'm at maintenance-so the the cheese is working really well for me right now. if i gain any-then i will cut back. yes, the water is tough...but it really keeps you losing weight. the minute you stop drinking all that water--a stall will set in.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
angelstill: i'm new. what do you mean by "flying" again.?? ty.
awwww hiyas Annie !!!! it is ok my bad lol let me explain .... flylady.net is a housekeeping tips website that I truly adore . She the "flylady" is amazing at giving all sorts of tips and motivation on maintaining a beautiful home .... I could hire a maid however, I like having control over my own household .... I also enjoy it .... Here is a lil tip if you have a garbage disposal in your sink add your used lemon, limes and orange rinds last to freshen it up lol and if you join flylady.net then your flying as well ....
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

oh wow, angelstill. thank you! i need help there, too. i have two dogs and a husband. i spend way too much time cleaning without the kind of results i would like to see. will check it out. (luckily the puppies are poodles and do not shed.)
Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

I am down another pound .... I am all done with (TOM) yayyyy !!!! Ladies I do not know about your feelings on that matter.... however, I did find a few interesting ways to handle that once a month torture a lil bit better .... And if you are a guy consider yourself lucky and ignore the following !!!!

The Ultimate Guide To Making Your Period Suck Less!

Periods. (Sorry, fellas.) Does anyone really enjoy them? I don’t think so. Even those super-grounded, patchouli-scented “Earth Mother” types who like to talk about cycles & the moon probably (secretly) become screaming PMS hellbeasts!

I know that I become a complete, walking girl cliche. I have been known to stand on line holding a tub of ice-cream, three fashion magazines, pimple cream & a box of “sanitary products”. I get REALLY REALLY MOODY & impatient with everyone. I feel the need to eat massive amounts of chocolate. I watch terrible romantic comedies (yes!!!) & sometimes (okay, often) get teary-eyed! OH, GIRL! I go all out!

With these things in mind, I thought the time was right to write about a selection of things to make “that time of the month” go a little more smoothly. How can we make it more relaxing & pleasant, & less stressful? I have some ideas!

1. Wear cute underwear!

I know it’s tempting to wear your rattiest knickers this week, but resist! RESIST! Sure, you need something comfortable, but wearing dreary underpants makes a sucky week even suckier.

Thankfully, I just discovered Harebrained Period Panties, & they crack me up! Featuring grisly cartoonish depictions of “Aunt Flo”, an evil beaver, “Raggedy Fran” & a gory unicorn, they’re a super-soft full-brief style which will have you in comfortable (if a little grumpy!) style!

It’s always nice to wear underpants that depict your emotional state, don’t you think?

2. Learn which foods to embrace… & which to avoid!

The bad news is that the foods you’re probably craving — sugar, salt, coffee & alcohol — will only aggravate your symptoms & make them worse. Mega-sad-face!

Here’s why to avoid those things. Eating sugar will make your blood sugar spike & crash, which will make you even MORE irritable. Salt will cause greater water retention, so if you’re already feeling bloated, a big bowl of french fries will make you swell up! Finally, caffeine elevates production of estrogen, which in turn causes even crazier PMS symptoms. It will also increase breast tenderness pretty considerably!

The good news is that there are plenty of great things you can eat which will actually make you feel BETTER! Check out these tips.

Eat more frequently! When you eat more regularly, it keeps your metabolism zipping along, which in turn gives you more energy & makes you feel good. This is true all of the time, not just during period week, so try having five little meals as opposed to three huge ones, & see if it makes you feel better!

Get your fill of Vitamin B6 & Vitamin C! Vitamin B6 is like a little miracle: it helps relieve premenstrual cravings, exhaustion, nutty mood swings, water retention & bloating. What a beaut! There’s a lot of Vitamin B6 in turkey, fish & chicken, nuts, bananas, potatoes & eggs. Vitamin C will help reduce symptoms too — you can get it from all citrus fruits, cranberry juice & brussels sprouts!

If you crave chocolate, eat RAW chocolate! Raw cacao is one of the #1 sources of magnesium, which is something we tend to crave. The problem with eating regular chocolate is that it has been so processed & messed around with that by the time it gets to us, it contains only a teeny-tiny amount of magnesium. Raw chocolate, on the other hand, is the real deal! You’ll get a mega-hit of magnesium, plus it’s rich & dark enough to be really satisfying. Nice one!

Drink plenty of water! Even though it sounds counterintuitive, since you’re probably retaining water like crazy, keeping yourself hydrated will actually make you feel a lot better. In fact, some of the reason you’re holding onto all that water might just be because you’re dehydrated! Guzzle some H2O & feel the difference!

If you get migraines, change what you eat! If I eat a standard American diet (this is known, somewhat ironically, as SAD), I get crippling migraines that render me 100% incapacitated on the second day of my period. However, if I make an effort to cut down on white bread, refined sugar & dairy, & choose to replace those foods with more vegetables, fruit, nuts, chicken or fish, I don’t get them AT ALL! It’s an immense relief to not be relegated to my bedroom, wanting to cry from pain & trying not to throw up on myself. I definitely recommend trying this if it’s something you have suffered from too!

3. Prevent spots & break-outs!

In the week leading up to & during your period, take extra special care of your skin. Aside from the usual things, like remembering to take your make-up off at night, here are some other things to try!

Eat foods rich in Vitamin A & D! They’re great for the skin & will help you avoid getting spots. Some excellent sources of Vitamin A & D include baby carrots (so good with hummus!); spinach (use it as a base for your salads); watermelon (juice it for the ultimate refreshing drink!); spices like red pepper, paprika, cayenne & chili powder; dried apricots (a fantastic portable snack); salmon & tuna; eggs & mushrooms!

Squeeze some fresh lemon into your water. It’s wonderful for your skin!

Keep some tea tree oil on hand. It’s an incredible natural antiseptic & antibacterial, so if you feel any blemishes coming up, dab a little tea tree oil on! It works about as well as 5% benzoyl peroxide, except it’s less harsh!

4. Shake that booty!

As tempting as it may be to spend four days curled up in a ball, watching re-runs of terrible old reality shows, you’ll feel so much better if you get up & move your body! I promise!

You don’t have to run a marathon or ride a horse along the beach like women in Carefree commercials… Even some easy, simple stretching will help marvellously.

My newest obsession is boxing. It’s immensely satisfying & definitely a good way to vent your frustrations (& let’s face it, this tends to be the most frustrating week of the month!). I even use pink boxing gloves! There are few things better than taping up your hands & punching away all your angst. You should definitely give it a shot!

Yoga is immensely popular too, & with good reason! There are many different types of yoga, from slow & easy to fast & brutal, so try a few variations & see which you like best. (I started out doing Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga, & it’s my favourite type!) My favourite part of the class, though, is where you lie down at the end & have a sleep under a blanket. It feels so amazing after giving your body an amazing stretch!

5. Utilise the power of essential oils!

They can make you feel so much better, no drugs required! You can add a few drops to a bath, put a couple of droplets into an oil burner, or you can mix essential oils with a carrier oil (like jojoba), & massage it into your temples!

When it comes to picking oils, bergamot & clary sage can help keep your moods more even, though if you just feel crabby in general, you can use some geranium. If you’re more bummed out than tetchy, try rose essential oil. Lavender can help relax you, while peppermint can relieve headaches (or upset stomachs). Grapefruit & lemon are great for bloating, too.

Additionally, Lush Cosmetics does an incredible shower gel (& perfume) called Flying Fox, which is loaded with anti-PMS essential oils! It’s pretty incredible, & smells phenomenal. Check it out!

6. Don’t do anything painful!

You probably already learned this one, perhaps on account of the somewhat painful results of trial & error… but in the week leading up to & during your period, you’re much more physically sensitive than usual! Even run-of-the-mill activities like tweezing your eyebrows can feel like torture!

I’d advise you to stay away from waxing, getting a tattoo or piercing, or even having your Calgel manicure scraped off! Leave your 6 inch heels in the closet, boo! Bust ‘em out when you’re feeling better!

7. Be smart about your sanitary items!

Go for all-natural, undyed, unscented cotton products as much as possible.

If you’re not terribly squeamish, you might want to consider a DivaCup or one of its competitors. I’ve never tried one, but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive!

8. Grab a hot water bottle… or a small animal!

Hot water bottles, heating pads & microwavable wheat bags can all be lifesavers around now. Put them on your belly, or lay ‘em across your lower back to help relieve muscle tension. If you can’t find any of these things, pets will do the trick too! It’s not too difficult to coerce Dolly into lying on top of me, or to get Hank to rest his huge head on my stomach! It helps so much, & makes me feel so much better! (Sort of related: Hahahah!)

9. Get dressed up, for at least one day!

Sometimes the very best thing to do when you’re feeling gross is to go in the other direction. If you’ve had it with lolling around in your tracksuit, if you’ve got cabin fever & you’re just O-V-E-R I-T, then it’s time to do something drastic!

Hop in the shower & wash away your grumpiness, then put on your favourite dress & go & DO something! See an art exhibition you’ve been dying to look at, or even go to the supermarket. It doesn’t really matter what you do, so long as you get all dolled up for the occasion. It will help remind you how gorrrrgeous you are, & that the MegaGrumps™ are only temporary!

10. Allow yourself to wallow a bit!

This is the opposite to #9, but sometimes a girl likes to do different things on different days!

Look, let’s face it, this week is the perfect excuse to buy yourself a new pair of sweats & spend some time lying down! It’s totally normal to be much more tired than usual, so if you feel like you need to get some extra sleep, don’t deny yourself! Put some fresh sheets on your bed, grab a book, & crawl between the covers. Get some rest, & you’ll feel so much better!

It’ll all be over soon… !

I hope this article was helpful if not at least amusing .... We woman have to look out for each other ....
Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Angelstill - I'm glad your tooth is feeling better. I was worried when you disappeared! I like flylady too. I was just thinking about her the other day - I've gotten out of the routine. I am probably going to be moving in a few months and I need to start getting organized. My dd and family are moving - their house is on the market. She has had two yard sales and will have a final one. I want to put a bunch of stuff in her last sale so I need to get motivated!

Littlelav - you now have a great excuse to get more sun - to even out your tan! Remember your sunscreen. I've been lurking on the starting tomorrow thread too - it was nice to see your story all in one post! You should share it here too! Sometimes we forget how far each of us have come.

Good luck today Mim! And alright, I will share it here as well.

My story:
I started at 170 lbs at the end of April. I had been overweight my entire life... I'd never dieted before or done anything to change it, I just kind of figured that it's the way I am and anyone who has a problem with that isn't worth my time because I don't see people in terms of the number on their scale and I don't want people in my life who see me that way. I stumbled across Stillmans, read the forum and saw the kind of results people were getting, and decided I'd try it out and convinced my boyfriend to try it with me. He started at 250 lbs at the same time I did. I also joined a gym and started working out for the first time in my life, doing both cardio and strength training 3-4 times a week. As I started seeing crazy results quickly, I started doing a lot of research on food... what's good, what's bad, etc. After a month or so, I began somewhat of my own Stillmans-Atkins hybrid. I continued just eating meat and no veggies/fruits/etc, but I'd find low carb recipes that didn't necessarily stick to the Stillmans guidelines. To my surprise, after eating high protein/low carb for a while, I no longer craved junk food. I never really thought about "treats", they no longer existed to me. I'd just eat when I was hungry... usually an egg for breakfast, leftovers from dinner for lunch, and steak/fish/chicken/whatever for dinner. The further I got from Stillmans, though, I started stalling a little here and there. I tried doing the turkey burgers for a while (some people had a lot of success eating lean turkey burgers in a 5 hour window) but it didn't really help my loss. Then I tried tilapia for the first time and it worked like magic. Instead of seeing a lb loss here and there, I'd see little increments go down everyday, but I could at least count on losing 3-4 lbs a week if I ate it at least once a day (and twice a day for at least a couple days). Tilapia is totally Stillmans legal so my fish days are technically like Stillmans days, but I've also been looking for different ways to prepare it so sometimes that's not the case if I broil it with parmesan cheese or fry it in olive oil.

I had a 3 month time limit for my goal because on July 23rd (tomorrow!) I'm leaving for a big trip across the country to visit family and friends that are spread out and then I'm going to Sweden to study for a semester! I figure it's going to be tougher to control what I eat since I'm staying with other people so I wanted to get the bulk of my loss out of the way so I could work on maintaining. Now, 3 months later, I have lost 36 lbs. My original goal was 135, but after I reached that recently, I decided I don't feel right quite yet so I'm just going to keep going until I feel comfortable (next goal is 128, I'll probably want to stay somewhere in the low-mid 120s I think). My boyfriend has lost 50 lbs in the same time frame!!! 50! He's now down to exactly 200, and he has cheated way more than I have. Now I am basically just eating a low carb diet (started with "low carb non Stillmans weekends" with veggies and now it's pretty much everyday except for fish days). No gluten or grains, but I started adding in veggies more often (no starchy ones though) and very recently some berries... well, it's basically Phase 3 Atkins. I'm still seeing pretty steady loss as long as I continue to keep my calories, carbs, and sodium intake low. I have learned a ton about food and fitness and plan to maintain by just eating clean... no processed foods, low carb (50 net g absolute maximum, but usually under 20g), gluten free, and estimating but not necessarily strictly counting calories. Dieting taught me to love cooking after preparing all my own foods so now I'm basically addicted to finding new clean low carb recipes, especially things to replace old favorite foods (I can lose weight from eating pizza and tacos! Yeah!). I really believe that low carb is the best way of life in order to stay healthy!!! Even when I eat a little off or make myself a sweet treat (been experimenting with low carb desserts lately) and see a small gain in the morning, I just make sure to eat fish the next day and it usually goes back down. Those little gains are just water weight, unless you ate over 3500 calories that day (3500 cal=1 lb) which is probably unlikely, and they are very easy to get rid of with just a day or two on plan so don't let it discourage you!

I am still experimenting to see what will make me lose or gain. Sometimes it's a struggle because as I'm trying to figure out how to maintain, I am afraid of eating carbs, but I want to start incorporating small amounts of healthy ones soon like quinoa and oats. Believe it or not, it's challenging to change that kind of mentality. But when I eat this way, I feel healthier, happier, and better overall about myself. I even bought a bikini for the first time recently and actually went out in public in it! It was a big milestone for me. Another milestone I've reached recently was running a mile for the very first time ever (talk about a milestone--literally)! I've always hated running and never did it voluntarily so that was huge for me, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal.

As a slight update, I have been stuck at 134 still so I'm going to go back to being a little more strict for a while. I think I found a way good way to maintain, but I still want to lose a little more, so hopefully I can be relatively good on my vacation that starts tomorrow. This week will be easy because I'll be with a friend who also eats low carb and exercises a lot. I know when I get to Maryland (my last stop before Sweden, in mid August) I will be able to have a lot more control over what I eat since I'll be staying at my dad's house and I plan to lose any water weight I gain over the prior weeks there. So it's just the two weeks in between that I really have to be careful with!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
oh wow, angelstill. thank you! i need help there, too. i have two dogs and a husband. i spend way too much time cleaning without the kind of results i would like to see. will check it out. (luckily the puppies are poodles and do not shed.)
My Yorkshire Terrier does not shed .... however, my domestic long hair cat does and she is so friendly that she leaves whatever or whomever she rubs up against a furry lil reminder that she was there lol
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

omg the flylady.........happier life through shiny sinks
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Awwww lil lav I love your story and great accomplishments for both you and your boyfriend .... I hope you stay in touch when you go away for your studies in Sweden .... My favourite Hockey goalie for The New York Rangers is from Sweden - Henrik Lundqvist Henrik Lundqvist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From what I have gathered from shopping from ikea lol they love fish as well as those yummy Swedish meatballs that are low carb if you make it sans bread crumbs .... I wish you lots of luck in your studies at school and reaching your goal weight .... Oh, I am not far from Maryland and they love those crabs and you can prepare them low carb as well .... Just like you, I believe many dishes can be made low carb it just takes a lil extra creativity in the kitchen and a lil research on the internet .... My boyfriends sister went to Sweden many beautiful pictures of churches and I remember saying out loud the sky is so blue !!!! Have a safe and wonderful trip !!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nothing says I LOVE YOU like a Clean toilet to throw up in when you are sick! – FlyLady

ROFL
Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
omg the flylady.........happier life through shiny sinks
Yesssss !!!! A shiny sink is a happy sink !!!! yea I break some rules I do not walk around with shoes on nah ah ....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nothing says I LOVE YOU like a Clean toilet to throw up in when you are sick! – FlyLady

ROFL
It is a brilliant concept just not something to say proudly out loud ....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mow THIS is definitely good advise.........

•Recognizing the negative voices when you hear them and changing the words to be nice to you. That is what FLYing (Finally Loving Yourself) is all about.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #358
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angel, I shined my sink. It works, I feel all zen like............
Old 07-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Angel, I shined my sink. It works, I feel all zen like............
"Let the good times roll."
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday ....
Closed Thread