Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #691
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CoCo
Stats: Ex: 175/157/135
WOE: QWL
Start Date: June 11th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
CoCo .... Dieting especially QWL diets are very extreme to our bodies and everyone reacts differently .... due to age, weight, gender etc.... You are correct , Dr. Stillman said not to stay on the QWL diet for more then two weeks at a time. true .... That is why you need to take a break from the totally strict QWL to moderate dieting .... After an off plan weekend I gain some weight also , I lose that water weight quickly once I incorporate a higher ratio of protein than carbohydrates .... I lose or hardly gain if I eat a high protein meat or fish with low carb veggies and berries for dessert .... It is sort of atkins with out the high fat ratio .... Think the Scarsdale diet it sort of meets somewhere between the two other doctor's diets .... In any case Coco I wish you the best of luck in a healthy weight loss regime that works perfect for you !!!!
I think I'm going to stay on stills for a while longer and try what you suggested. If I could eat some low crab veggies and berries on the weekends
I would feel much better about it. I sure would like to loss another 10lbs fast. It was getting to the point that I just could not face another day of just turkey, fish or chicken that was dry, dry dry. I could do it if I new that on the weekend I could have some veggies and berries. I think I will stay on it for at least another week and follow this plan, see how it goes. Angel, you just did something that is rarely done, you changed my mind.

Oh, what about the 4th of July. I'm having dinner guests. Can you help me adjust my menu so I can eat and not gain to much. I was going to have pulled pork, baked bean and coleslaw for the main part of the meal. I guess I could cook separate for myself. The 4th will be hard to drinks, but I can live without it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #692
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zulloc
Stats: (5' 1") 142/142/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 5/16/14
I've been meaning too but I haven't gotten my hands on Dr. Stillman's book as of yet. I know there is a ton of info that I am missing here but trying to get all the info off the web that I can. Just a quick question for ya'll. What vitamins are you taking?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CoCo
Stats: Ex: 175/157/135
WOE: QWL
Start Date: June 11th 2012
Quote:
Here are some other yummy fourth of July recipes all low carb ....How low can you go it is up to you .... That Raspberry Fool has me getting all foolish yum !

Low-Carb Summer Holiday Menus - Fourth of July - Memorial Day - Labor Day

Quick and Easy Recipe: low carb BBQ sauce .... Yummy on pork baby back ribs

Prepare the following ingredients:

2 strips of thick bacon, chopped until fine
1 small onion, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove minced garlic)
1 6-ounce oz can of tomato paste
1 12-ounce diet cola
1/4 cup sugar-free Stevia or splenda
3 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch of ground cloves
Hot sauce according to your preferences
The steps for making this sauce are:

Using a 2-quart saucepan, fry the bacon until crisp.
Add the minced onion until transparent. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds or so.
Add the rest of ingredients along with ½ cup of water. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
Adjust the seasonings according to your taste.
How healthy is it? Think of just 3.5 grams of carbohydrates for each serving.

You now have 10 servings of ¼ cup each of a delectable, healthy and easy-to-store low carb BBQ sauce.
I'm going to use this for the pulled pork, Thanks Angel!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #694
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: akagal20
Stats: 172.2/155.8/145(Height 5'8)
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 18, 2014
Hello group, My name is Tanya, I was here last year prior to my wedding and I loved the boards for support. I have picked up weight ( After a year of maintaining perfectly) due to stress so I am back to Stillmans. This group really helped me stay on track last time.

I have a lot of catching up to do

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I did it! I lost the Stillman 5! Funny how staying on strict Stillman's gives the results he promised. In the last two weeks I have lost 9 pounds. Go me! I will be able to stay on strict Stillman's through Saturday. Sunday morning I leave for the conference where the majority of my meals will be in my hotel room. Tuna. I will have a few meals out with friends, but should be able to stay low carb. I'm taking my scale with me because I love the daily weigh ins. One more half pound to go to bring my total to 25 lost. I should see that tomorrow!
Yayyyyyy !!!! yes go you !!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Hey, CoCo...here's a low-carb-legal salad that no one even knows it's "Diet" food. I don't have the actual carb counts on it, but as you can see it's all lettuce-salad ingredients so even Atkins-induction-legal. Just be sure to use real mayonaise and not Miracle Whip or any other fake mayo "salad dressing" that's full of sugar. Of course it's not low-fat, so it's not Stillman's...but it won't trigger the carb cravings.

Here's the recipe:

7 layer Salad
1 cucumber, sliced thin
1 head lettuce, broken in bite-size pieces
1 bunch of green onions, cleaned & chopped, ( or 1 white or yellow onion, small, chopped)
1 small red & 1 small yellow pepper, sliced (or 1 large green bell pepper, sliced)
1 cup Celery, sliced small
1 head broccoli, chopped into small pieces, uncooked
1 32 oz jar Hellmann's mayonnaise, (enough to cover top of layered salad)
1/2 of 8 oz bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or shredded four cheese Mexican cheese if you want the "bite")
Fried bacon or ready-made real bacon bits, for topping, about 2 tbspl crumbled or bits

In a large clear salad bowl or large rectangular clear cake pan, layer lettuce, celery, pepper, onion, cucumber, and chopped broccoli on top of each other. Add Hellmann's mayonnaise over ingredients to seal. Sprinkle with shredded sharp cheddar or 4 cheese Mexican cheese on top , and Fried crumbled bacon on very top. Do not toss. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.

The other two goodies I'm planning to go with the meat on the 4th are I'm making the freezer-baggie vanilla ice cream (made with HWC & Torani Sugar Free vanilla syrup for sweetener) Will serve that topped with fresh blueberries & Torani Sugar Free raspberry syrup. We'll just have 1/4 cup of the ice cream each, but will be a special red-white-blue dessert we can have while the others have the cookies/brownies, etc. We're also celebrating on the 3rd...and for the 3rd I'm doing the cream-cheese stuffed strawberries for hubby & I as our special treat on the 3rd. We'll also have a few cocktails, I'm sure...but that's going to be crystal lite mojito with rum...or Sparkling Ice coconut pineapple with rum...or Sparkling Ice lemon-lime with tequila. All zero carb options that taste delish.

The rest of our menu will be very-Atkins-legal...grilled burgers, raw veggies w/spinach dip, pork rinds/salsa for munching. Avoiding really salty stuff though...last year we stayed Atkins legal but had a lot of salty munchies & popped up like 4 lbs!

I'm sure we'll pop up a lb...maybe 2- especially with the dairy in there. But it will come back off easily by hopping back on Stillman's on July 5!

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Hi, Tanya!

Way to go Mim...5 in a week is so much fun

Way to go Healthy For Life...that .5 adds up. It's 3.5 a week!

Haven't seen any posts from Erin for awhile...If I remember correctly, she's in the Sarasota Fl area, isn't she? I'm in Tampa-metro area right now too, and there has been sooooo much rain...flooding...power outages...some tornados. Hope you're safe & dry Erin!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #698
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiley2801 View Post
Hello, just popping in to say that I have the Stillman book, and I've read it several times. I don't think he says anywhere that you should only stay on QWL for only 2 weeks at a time for any health reasons ... unless I missed something?

I think he suggests it may be easier if you (and that some of his patients did) incorporate "breaks" into the diet because of bordeom reasons, but it's fine to stick with it until you lose your weight as long as you are supplementing with vitamins.
I do not own the book and I am not sure if I want to, especially after reading some opinions of those who claim to have the book .... apparently the information I have gathered from the internet can be very misleading indeed .... However, I am still not sure what to believe .... If I do change my mind and purchase the used book ( The book has been out of print ) I am sure I will find numerous inaccuracies in the information provided about the Stillmans QWL diet both on this site as well as others ....
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Active Low-Carber Forums - Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet

The internet can be very misleading .... IMO = In my opinion just in case you needed to know .... It took me awhile to figure it out lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Here CoCo a recipe for low carb cole slaw .... Also you can try the new crystal lite Appletini drinks and mojito's they taste good and low in carbs ....

normally I like to season this coleslaw dressing with Penzey's Buttermilk Ranch Seasoning, but when I'm out I make this, and it's almost as good. Actually, I've used many different ground herb and spice mixes, such as Greek Seasoning, and it's good that way as well. This cole slaw is great with barbecue or any grilled food. The cold creaminess is great up against hot BBQ spices.
Ingredients:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Artificial sweetener to equal 2 T sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon plus one pinch salt
1 lb cabbage, shredded
Preparation:

Mix all cole slaw dressing ingredients together, and then mix them into the cabbage. Balance the lemon juice and sweetener to your own taste.

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #701
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulloc View Post
I've been meaning too but I haven't gotten my hands on Dr. Stillman's book as of yet. I know there is a ton of info that I am missing here but trying to get all the info off the web that I can. Just a quick question for ya'll. What vitamins are you taking?
You can purchase the used QWL book from amazon it is relatively cheap too about $7
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post
Hello group, My name is Tanya, I was here last year prior to my wedding and I loved the boards for support. I have picked up weight ( After a year of maintaining perfectly) due to stress so I am back to Stillmans. This group really helped me stay on track last time.

This is an awesome support group .... We really look out for each other ....
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #703
Senior LCF Member

I take a multi vitamin .... Omega '3 gel caps .... Biotin , Maca, milk thistle, rhodiola rosea, and vitamin D3 .... green tea, and garlic gels .... I will be adding grape seed too .... I keep adding supplements to help the different needs for my body ....

Last edited by Angelstill; 06-26-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
I have really missed posting here.

I have been mia the last week or so... I go on plan for a day or two then I talk myself into going off for a day. The typical, it is only one day, you can start tomorrow!
I haven't done much damage as far as weight gain so I guess that is a good thing.

I go on vacation in a little over 2 weeks and I want to try desperately to get out of the 200s by then.

Welcome to the several new people I seen.

Good to see so many of you doing so well.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

My daily supplements are

Women's Daily multivitamin
Potassium
Magnesium
Mega Red- Fish Oil
Ester-C
Occasionally I take Iron for my anemia.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #706
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vyomguy
Stats: 221.2/177.2/160
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: June 11 2012
Quote:
I take a multi vitamin .... Omega '3 gel caps .... Biotin , Maca, milk thistle, rhodiola rosea, and vitamin D3 .... green tea, and garlic gels .... I will be adding grape seed too .... I keep adding supplements to help the different needs for my body ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
My daily supplements are

Potassium
Magnesium
Mega Red- Fish Oil
Ester-C

You should add calcium as well to your daily intake.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #707
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vyomguy
Stats: 221.2/177.2/160
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: June 11 2012
Hello people,

I have being stalling on my weight loss for the past 4-5 days. Losing just 0.2 pounds everyday. This is frustrating .

Anyhow, an update on my weight loss. Have lost 12 pounds in 15 days.

Welcome new folks...lets get those pounds away .
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #708
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
I do not own the book and I am not sure if I want to, especially after reading some opinions of those who claim to have the book .... apparently the information I have gathered from the internet can be very misleading indeed .... However, I am still not sure what to believe .... If I do change my mind and purchase the used book ( The book has been out of print ) I am sure I will find numerous inaccuracies in the information provided about the Stillmans QWL diet both on this site as well as others ....
Well I think some people get confused because the book from which his "Quick Weight Loss" diet is derived actually contains MANY diets ... not just the "original" QWL one that involves meat, eggs, and nothing else.

He has veggies only, veggies plus fruits, just plain old-fashioned low-cal diets, etc.

And you are right. Lots of misinformation on the internet. That's why I personally think it's a good investment to own the book and see it straight from the good doc's own mouth.

I bought a (clearly VERY old copy) on amazon for just a few dollars.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #709
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: zulloc
Stats: (5' 1") 142/142/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 5/16/14
Quote:
Quote:
My daily supplements are

Potassium
Magnesium
Mega Red- Fish Oil
Ester-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
Thanks for the responses.
BrattyS mine is almost identical to yours with the exception of the iron, I just don't need it. Also my magnesium is in a combo with my calcium.
I have yet to find a multivitamin I really like though. I feel like I try a different one every couple months.

Also meant to add the recipes sound delicious. Can't wait to try them.

Last edited by zulloc; 06-26-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #710
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post

Hi Tanya! It was so much fun counting down with you - pre-wedding. And you looked so happy and lovely at the big event! How is married life? Are you happily ever lasting?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #711
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: akagal20
Stats: 172.2/155.8/145(Height 5'8)
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 18, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Hi Tanya! It was so much fun counting down with you - pre-wedding. And you looked so happy and lovely at the big event! How is married life? Are you happily ever lasting?
Hi!! Things are going great. I still feel very happy, just not so much in shape.
I was holding in strong nearly a full 12 months, but lately just kind of let myself go.
I am reeling this back in
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #712
Senior LCF Member

Today will be another day of Tilapia .... so far so good still losing .... And I realized at this point at the rate that I am losing including, moderate exercise and off plan meals, I will be reaching my goal weight in the late fall .... I have 50 lbs more to go .... I lost 27 lbs total since April 12 th and that is great for me .... I also incorporated a WOE that resulted from many different weight loss strategies combined .... Reading many of your posts on this site with your own weight loss experiences are much more of a value than any diet book or weight loss diet site, I have ever read .... Day to day issues with losing weight and how each one of us handles it for example a holiday or a wedding gives me some insight .... It is very easy to read a book that says do not eat that, rather than reading a personal thought and someone posts you know I really wanted a chocolate brownie, so instead I ate a lot of sugar free chocolate candies .... I went off a tad bit but, I resisted that brownie which was loaded with sugar and fat .... And In my case lol I can say, I wanted bacon and cheese triple from bk and fries with a large soda, apple pie too and I ate it .... I feel awful , the scale will not be so kind tomorrow , that is real and I guess we can all relate .... This process is going to be difficult .... I just want to get it over and done with asap !!!! And yes, a triple bacon cheese burger with fries sounds so good right now however, I am eating tilapia tonight and I must remember that I look forward to fitting into a nice pair of skinny jeans and a pair of boots that zip up nicely past my calves this fall with a nice slim jean jacket .... I have a nice new wardrobe waiting .... I have loads of clothes in my closet with tags still on them because of wishful thinking .... well it is time for me to quit wishing and make it happen !!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello people,

I have being stalling on my weight loss for the past 4-5 days. Losing just 0.2 pounds everyday. This is frustrating .

When I stalled I tried Erin's Turkey diet .... It broke my stall .... I use Extra lean ground turkey .... This was difficult and boring but it worked .... Good luck !
Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have really missed posting here.

I have been mia the last week or so... I go on plan for a day or two then I talk myself into going off for a day. The typical, it is only one day, you can start tomorrow!
I haven't done much damage as far as weight gain so I guess that is a good thing.

I go on vacation in a little over 2 weeks and I want to try desperately to get out of the 200s by then.

Welcome to the several new people I seen.

Good to see so many of you doing so well.

Thank you ! and it is great seeing you back here !!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #715
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes I do it is in my multivitamin and thank you so much !
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Here is an interesting article since we are discussing supplements and vitamins ....

Don’t be ‘D-prived’ of Vitamin D3
Story
Comments
ShareShare
Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:24 pm
Michael F. Roizen | 0 comments
Q: Which vitamin would you recommend to get someone to stay healthy?
It takes 1,000 IU of vitamin D3. published studies show 50% to 87% of Americans are short of vitamin D, and you need it to help fight cancer, to keep arteries young, and to aid brain function.
D3 is the disease-blocking vitamin that keeps you healthy, maybe not wealthy, but definitely wise. D3’s immune-regulating powers can “D-feat” brain-destroying amyloid tangles that contribute to Alzheimer’s mental deterioration. While we await human trials for Bexarotene (the skin cancer drug discovered by Case Western Reserve University researchers to activate removal of Alzheimer’s plaques in mice), I hope you keep “prevent D” in your brain-boosting playbook.
Also, vitamin D3 is essential for calcium absorption and incorporation into bone. Eating fresh vegetables and fruit, 100% whole grains and lean proteins, especially fish rich in omega-3 DHA like salmon and trout, are great ways to get heart-protecting, brain-enhancing, cancer-fighting vitamins. But that may not be enough. More than half of adults in the United States, and even more in Cleveland, I believe, are “D-ficient.”
If you’re typical, you’re probably sun “D-prived.” You probably spend 90% of your time indoors, and when outside you slather on sunscreen. Add to that having dark skin, being overweight, having diabetes or kidney disease, plus not eating “D-rich” foods, and you need a D3 supplement.
To make sure you get enough: Take in 1,000 IU of D3 a day from food or a supplement; 2,000 IU max without talking with your doc.
Q. What pill should we consider?
Omega-7 is the “new” good fat. You’ve already heard plenty about DHA, the great-for-you omega-3 fatty acid in fatty fish and fish or algal oil capsules. Now research from Harvard Medical School, Cleveland Clinic, University of Hawaii and Japan, suggest that omega-7s have amazing powers, too. They squelched heart-threatening LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, boosted ticker-friendly HDLs, decreased fatty liver, and improved your cells’ ability to take in blood sugar and not have it cause problems in several well-designed studies.
Four studies are more than four times better than one, but we need more human trials before recommending omega-7s unconditionally. I have urged a company whose scientific advisory board I chair to start such research. But I am intrigued enough so that I take 200mg of purified omega-7 in capsule form along with 900mg of DHA daily.
Dr. Michael F. Roizen is chief wellness officer and chair of the Wellness Institute at Cleveland Clinic. Follow him on Twitter @YoungDrMike. Email questions to YouDocs@gmail.com.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #717
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks Angelstill.
I was just wondering about my vitamin D3 intake... I haven't been able to sleep lately... taking way too much!
I'm fighting a thyroid condition (trying to get well without meds)... so I started taking too much... haven't been able to sleep for a few nights!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have been looking at a mag/calcium combo.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hello people,

My body always stalls at about the 2-3 week mark. One day off plan always gave it another kick start.

Last edited by BrattyS; 06-26-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #720
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Today will be another day of Tilapia .... so far so good still losing .... And I realized at this point at the rate that I am losing including, moderate exercise and off plan meals, I will be reaching my goal weight in the late fall .... I have 50 lbs more to go .... I lost 27 lbs total since April 12 th and that is great for me .... I also incorporated a WOE that resulted from many different weight loss strategies combined .... Reading many of your posts on this site with your own weight loss experiences are much more of a value than any diet book or weight loss diet site, I have ever read .... Day to day issues with losing weight and how each one of us handles it for example a holiday or a wedding gives me some insight .... It is very easy to read a book that says do not eat that, rather than reading a personal thought and someone posts you know I really wanted a chocolate brownie, so instead I ate a lot of sugar free chocolate candies .... I went off a tad bit but, I resisted that brownie which was loaded with sugar and fat .... And In my case lol I can say, I wanted bacon and cheese triple from bk and fries with a large soda, apple pie too and I ate it .... I feel awful , the scale will not be so kind tomorrow , that is real and I guess we can all relate .... This process is going to be difficult .... I just want to get it over and done with asap !!!! And yes, a triple bacon cheese burger with fries sounds so good right now however, I am eating tilapia tonight and I must remember that I look forward to fitting into a nice pair of skinny jeans and a pair of boots that zip up nicely past my calves this fall with a nice slim jean jacket .... I have a nice new wardrobe waiting .... I have loads of clothes in my closet with tags still on them because of wishful thinking .... well it is time for me to quit wishing and make it happen !!!!
I have just a few more to lose than you. Some days it seems too HUGE but I remind myself that it used to be about 80 I had to lose. I will get there. I have tripped more times than I can count but I am a little stronger each time I get up.
I have several clothing items I can not wait to get into.
Closed Thread