Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Majar I used the turkey diet to break my plateau .... This may help you , I hope ....

The Source of the Stall

Once you have determined that this isn't just a regular pause in your weight loss and are sure you are indeed stalled. You need to discern the cause of the problem and address it. You may find there are multiple sources contributing to your stall. Here is a list of the most likely culprits.

1. Overeating - This in my opinion is the number one cause of stalls on Low Carb. This is because most people are only counting carbs without regard for calories. Many folks consume way too many calories for their activity level and end up with either an excess (resulting in weight gain) or they are just breaking even. Some of the "Low Carb" treats and snacks on the market have considerable calories because they are also high fat. So try counting up your calories and see if you are just eating too much of a good thing.

Eat 6 to 8 Mini-Meals a day instead of 3 big meals. By Mini-meal I mean 200 calories and 3 to 5 carbs per meal. You can redistribute the carbs as you want among the mini-meals. The advantage of this method of eating is that you never get ravenous thus you don't want to binge and it helps maintain a steady insulin level which promotes appetite control instead of cravings. Your body also doesn't feel like you are starving it and thus your metabolism remains higher than it would if you skipped meals or went prolonged periods without eating. Then you do the latter, your metabolism shuts down to preserve your weight. It's a very inconvenient primal defense mechanism that evolved to prevent people from dying from starvation too quickly.

2. Too Many Carbs - The second most likely source is the ingestion of too many carbohydrates. People ask me all the time how many carbs they need to eat to lose weight. This number is not written in stone anywhere. There is no carb-limit commandment in a Low Carb Bible anywhere. The number of carbs you consume has to be individualized for YOU. Every person has a different level of insulin resistance and so you have to do a little trial and error on your own to find your personal "Critical Carb Level" (also called CCL). Some folks can increase their carbs as suggested on Ongoing Weight Loss and continue to lose just fine. Others can not. You may be one of the metabolically challenged people who find they must remain at Induction Level for the entire diet.

There are also things called Hidden Carbs. These are usually in the form of Sugar Alcohols. If you have looked at Low Carb products at all you will have noticed terms like "Net Carbs" or "Effective Carbs" on labels and packaging. These are the number of carbs left after deducting the number of carbs coming from sugar alcohols like Glycerine and Malitol as well as Insoluble Fiber. Some people react to the hidden carbs as they would to regular carbs. If you are stalled and sure your regular carbs are within normal dietary limits, look for hidden carbs. It's usually the Atkins Bars and other Low Carb Candies which sneak up and bite you in the butt. Try cutting these out.

You also have to make sure you are really counting carbs correctly. You'd be surprised at how many folks don't do this right. Many mistakes are in fact due to incorrect labeling thanks to the FDA's liberal policy that allows food manufacturers to "round down" their numbers to the nearest whole number. For example: Whipped Cream in a can says it has ZERO carbs per serving. The serving size is so ridiculously small as to be absurd. Who eats just a teaspoon of this stuff? If they can get a teaspoon to contain .9 carbs (that's 9/10ths of 1 gram) then they can legally claim a teaspoon has 0 carbs. What this means is that every teaspoon has nearly 1 gram in it so if you eat 10 teaspoons of whipped cream on your sugar-free jello then you are consuming nearly 10 carbs! This is just one of many examples. So the best rule of thumb is to count all products that are labeled 0 carb as 1 carb instead. The only exception to this would be most meats. You really need an exhaustive carb counter. I personally use Corrine Netzer's Complete Book of Carb Counts. It's the best.

3. Not Eating Enough - Believe it or not, starving yourself is counterproductive to weight loss. By depriving your body of food you signal a very basic response which tells the body to conserve energy. This lowers your metabolism and increases your fat storage capacity. You will actually lose weight slower when your intake is insufficient.

4. Dehydration - Water is the key to good health. Water is essential to lypolysis (the breaking up of fat molecules for energy). If you don't have an adequate water intake your body has a harder time burning fat. Most people do not drink enough water. The average person needs to consume 64 ounces of water per day and an obese person needs to consume that PLUS an extra 8 ounces for each 25 pounds they are overweight. Not only does water facilitate fat burning but it also helps move ketones out of your body. If you are in ketosis from eating low carb foods then you need to flush your system regularly.

5. Too Little Exercise - Exercise is crucial to keeping your metabolism going. It also builds up muscles which in turn will burn more fat. Many studies have also proven that exercise and light weight resistance training increases insulin sensitivity and thyroid hormone production. Both these will result in a healthier metabolism and increase your chances of long-term weight maintenance. Cross-training is a good way to keep your body happy. If you have been doing only one type of exercise, try adding some new twists like swimming, cycling or weight training.

6. Food Allergies or Candida Overgrowth - If you are sensitive to foods like Dairy, Wheat Gluten, Corn, Soy and Egg Whites then you may find it stalling your weight loss. Food sensitivities such as the common ones listed above can trigger water retention, bloating, allergies and a host of other unpleasant symptoms. Some people feel that these foods aggravate a condition known as a Candida Overgrowth. It is believed that a diet rich in high carbohydrate foods combined with years of occasional antibiotic usage have allowed yeast to build up in our digestive tracts leading to an overgrowth. Yeast product glucose as a by-product of carbohydrate metabolism. So obesity is the biggest symptom of this condition. A low carb diet is just part of the anti-candida treatment. If you feel that this might be your problem you might want to try adding an anti-candida supplement such as CandidaClear to your diet.

For more information on reducing and eliminating yeast in your system you should visit these other informational sites:

PlanetHerbs Online Articles - Hypothyroidism, Candida and Obesity
FormerFatGuy.com - Health Problems May be Caused by Chronic Candidiasis
Diet & Health Guide - Candida Diet Related Articles
KroegerHerb.com Articles - About Candida Albicans
7. Medications - Some medications are known to slow or prevent weight loss. Of these medications the most notorious ones are Hormones (such as The Pill and Estrogen supplementation such as HRT for menopause), Antidepressants (such as Paxil, Welbutrin, Zoloft and Celexa), Diuretics (water-pills for blood pressure control and over-the-counter brands as well), cholesterol-lowering medications (they prevent the liver from converting fat to glycogen), insulin and oral diabetic medications (but you shouldn't stop taking these or any prescription medication without a doctor's supervision). Some medications are available to help assist weight loss and can be ordered online without a prescription. Most insurance policies exclude anti-obesity drugs so finding the cheapest price for these is usually the best idea. Local pharmacies can charge a lot for these drugs. One of the most popular and successful medications is Meridia (Sibutramine).

Recommended Strategies for Breaking a Stall

1. Don't cut your caloric intake to less than 1200 calories per day. Increase the amount of protein in your meals. Eat small to moderate amounts of cheese or nuts for snacks. Use olive or flax oil for cooking and cream or eggs to make sauces for meat and vegetables. Keep your carb level down by avoiding white flour, sugar, fruits and starchy vegetables like corn or potatoes.

2. Don't starve yourself. Cutting calories to an extreme will not help you. Try cutting excess fat and calories to a reasonable level (usually 1200 to 1600 calories a day) and divide these up into frequent small meals (of about 200 to 300 calories each) every few hours. Eat a decent amount of protein with each meal to help you feel satisfied longer. Try to keep your carbs under 20 a day.

3. Try to increase your activity level. Increase the duration or intensity of your exercise schedules. If you have been only walking or cycling, try doing some weight lifts and vice versa. If you are not yet exercising try to add some sort of activity to your regular schedule. At least 20 minutes a day is recommended for beginners.

4. Increase your water consumption to stimulate lipolysis and clean your system of excess ketones.

5. Avoid eating within 3 hours of bedtime. Especially avoid any foods that are higher in carbs as this can trigger insulin production which in turn will inhibit fat-burning while you are asleep.

6. Start a food diary and record what you are eating and when you are eating. Purchase a good carb and food counts book to help you with your calculations.

7. Try one of the many "Stall Buster" fasts. They can sometimes help get weight loss moving. These are usually just short-term diets that only last a few days (a week at the most) Some of the better ones are as follows:

The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet or Stillman's Diet - This is a high-protein, low-fat, almost-zero-carb program. No cheese or cream, butter fats or oils, no veggies or salads. And buckets and buckets of water.
Atkins Fat Fast - This plan restricts calories to 1,000 per day with 90% coming from FAT.
The Meat Fast - This involves eating meat and not much else. No coffee or tea just lots and lots of water.

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !

Last edited by Angelstill; 06-12-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SillyErin
Stats: 198/139/127
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 5/16/12
Had my ground turkey burger tonight

Bad news? I got my blood work back today and diagnosed "Hypothyroid"

Funny thing is, I was losing weight with ease with turkey the last 2 weeks! looks like my thyroid was no match for the turkey...stuff is magic!

My really bad fatigue...that's another story.

Anyone else have good results with Synthroid?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majar View Post
Ugh, still stuck in the late 140's.....148 that is. Next three days are gonna be strict Stillman's. I am hoping its not the splenda in my coffee and diet soda slowing me down..I have been having less, but coffee pretty much runs through my veins.

Anyone got a good plateau booster technique? If I am not down by Saturday I will be in the market for one.
hmmmm.... not sure perhaps Splenda may be the culprit .... Try Stevia instead ....

Stevia and sorbitol — natural alternatives to artificial sweeteners

Other countries and diabetics have both taught us a lot about controlling insulin naturally. For many years, diabetics have used products sweetened with polyalcohol sugars like sorbitol, xylitol, malitol, and mannitol. These are natural sweeteners that do not trigger an insulin reaction. (Xylitol can be derived from birch tree pulp.) They have half the calories of sugar and are not digested by the small intestine.

While most polyalcohol sugars have no side effects, sorbitol is a natural laxative and can cause diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, bloating and flatulence.

For this reason, we recommend the herb stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) over sorbitol as a natural sweetener to our patients. Known in South America as the “sweet herb,” stevia has been used for over 400 years without ill effect. Stevia has been enormously popular in Japan, where it has been in use for more than 20 years, now rivaling Equal and Sweet’N Low. It’s 200–300 times sweeter than sugar, so just a small portion of stevia will sweeten even a strong cup of tea.

We’ve known about stevia in the US since 1918, but pressure from the sugar import trade blocked its use as a commodity. Today stevia is slowly gaining steam as a sugar substitute, despite similar hurdles. The FDA has approved its use as a food supplement, but not as a food additive due to a lack of studies. Stevia can be used for anything you might use sugar in, including baking. It is naturally low in carbohydrates. You can buy stevia at most health food stores and over the web. There will always be those who have a sensitivity to a substance, but based on reports from other countries it appears to have little to no side effects. For women who want to move through their cravings for sugar without artificial chemicals, stevia is a great option.

More importantly, you can do a lot to support your body in other ways to reduce your dependency on sugar and sugar substitutes — something I encourage every woman to do. Once your body returns to its natural state of balance, you may find that you can toss out those artificial sweeteners and put sugar in its proper place: where you have control over it and not vice versa.

Artificial sweeteners are chemicals, not food! They have no calories because they don’t nourish your body in anyway — they’re toxins your body has to clear, or, depending on how well you detoxify, store. But if you can’t live without your diet drink, don’t beat yourself up about it. Accept it and give your body extra support elsewhere.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #394
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyErin View Post

Funny thing is, I was losing weight with ease with turkey the last 2 weeks! looks like my thyroid was no match for the turkey...stuff is magic!

I do not know much about Synthroid only that it helps regulate the thyroid gland .... yayyyyy for Turkey !!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
One thing that has stuck with me regarding maintaining was what GT said many moons ago............

maintenance is following the diet with none of the benefits (losses), or something to that effect.........
yeah!!!! Tis true though!!! I read somewhere that to maintain you basically have to do what you did to lose the weight. And I do think peeps that the quicker you get your head around that thought, the easier it'll be for you.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: No flour no sugar
Quote:
Catne - Good Advice - 20 pounds a month is a high number (unless you lose 15 in the first week, which isnt unheard of)

You'll lose a large amount in the beginning (as you would with Atkins) - the difference is - with Stillmans you'll CONTINUE to lose, and folks on Atkins will eventually STALL.

The reasons for this are; with Stillmans youre appetite is never stimulated as it is with Atkins. Youre left with limited variety, and JUST protein so calorie levels remain low and you continue to lose.

Atkins is a losing battle - people dont realize you CAN'T EAT sticks of butter and bacon and loaded salads and continue to lose. People who get to a low weight with Atkins ARE PURPOSELY eating less.

I feel bad for people on YEAR LONG stalls who keep going with Atkins, thinking one day it will finally work (IT WONT, I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!!). You have to realize low carb works, but LOW CALORIE is the winner.

Thats how the "Fat Fast" works....youre eating ALL fat, so you dont get hungry...but guess what? Youre also eating 800 calories a day of a bite of cream cheese. Atkins advises people who are resistant to weight loss to try the FAT FAST....and it works! But guess how? Because it CUTS THE CALORIES!

And "MAINTAINING after STILLMANS"? Ask those of us who maintain our losses after Stillmans ("Getting there" "Allleria" ETC ETC) We never leave Stillmans...Ive been doing it since 2005 (on and off, and coming back). What happens is, you put a little weight on then take it back off with Stillmans, you watch your weight...and if you go up, you come right back to Stillmans. Thats how you do it (or at least how we all do it).
Erin, THANK YOU so much for all of this! This makes so much more sense than any other diet advice I've heard. Lean protein is the only food that satisfies my appetite, and counting calories is the only thing that has made me lose weight. I tried Atkins Induction for a couple months last year and didn't drop any weight at all. I now understand it's because I was eating too many calories. I've also tried calorie counting to lose weight, and I did lose weight, but I was STARVING all the time. I now know it's because I wasn't eating enough/any lean protein to satisfy my appetite.

When I'm ready to maintain a healthy weight, I plan on eating from a base of lean protein and vegetables, and then adding low carb items to round out the meal.

My foods today were a bunch of chicken breasts and 2 hamburger patties that I patted with a napkin to soak up the extra fat. And many glasses of Diet Coke and water. I'm interested in trying out this tuna & water only diet. I know I could do one day...but 3?...in a row?!...with no coffee or diet drinks?!? Has anyone here done it?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #397
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TOGirl
Stats: 282/TBD/135
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: June 11, 2012
Good morning everyone!

I had a major burst of energy yesterday afternoon/evening and cleaned my apartment for hours! I hate cleaning with a passion but needed to do something with all that energy. However, this morning, I'm feeling a bit wiped. May have overdone it as I also took my dog on two separate 1 mile walks as well. Maybe too much too soon and I should be a little careful until I give my body a bit more adjustment time.

I'm shaking the pom-poms to all of those dishing out the tough to swallow truth about maintaining. About 15 years ago I lost over 100 lbs and then made the mistake of returning to old eating habits and gained it all plus some as the years went on. I recall at 250, then 260, then 282 just feeling like the battle to lose was so enormous that I shouldn't even bother. Well, I finally hit rock bottom, found Medifast and my life changed forever. I learned from that earlier mistake and vowed to never let myself slip too far ever again.

You find me here now not because I am at an unhealthy weight - I am actually at a size lower than the maximum that I permit myself in maintenance. However, I got a taste of being leaner and even healthier and would like to return to that state.

One tip that I remember reading about maintaining was to continue to strive for a loss even if you have hit goal. Afterall, if you are occupied trying to lose a pound, it is less likely that you'll gain one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
I'm interested in trying out this tuna & water only diet. I know I could do one day...but 3?...in a row?!...with no coffee or diet drinks?!? Has anyone here done it?
I've done the T&W diet for up to 3 days in a row many times in the past 5 years. Today is the start of my 3rd day on this go around. I drink a ton of black coffee and have also enjoyed diet pop in the past without ill effect.

Good luck to you! I think you will reap rewards even if you only do it for 1 day here or there.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #398
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning! Yesterday was my first true Stillman's day in awhile. I was hungry last evening but had an emergency call to make, followed by a meeting. By the time I got home I wasn't hungry anymore. I have some work to do this morning, and then I may be going to the amusement park with DD and grand girls. I'll take my tuna. I am not tempted by most park food because I'm in ketosis and because I've become so gluten intolerant, the tummy issues that result from eating "forbidden" food have caused me to not want to eat them. And now it is time for breakfast and then I'm off to save the world! Have a great day, everyone!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I have missed you posting! How are you doing?
thanks, honey... doing well, been busy at work, thank you Lord, but it keeps me from keeping up here........must focus.......
Quote:
Ugh, still stuck in the late 140's.....148 that is. Next three days are gonna be strict Stillman's. I am hoping its not the splenda in my coffee and diet soda slowing me down..I have been having less, but coffee pretty much runs through my veins.

Anyone got a good plateau booster technique? If I am not down by Saturday I will be in the market for one.
whatcha been eatin '?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I suffer from S.A.D I am not happy till I see sunshine !!!!
as a former FL girl I can relate......not a fan of winter.......LOL I know, WTH am I doing here in NY?
Quote:
ahhhhhhh .... the very sexy Food Porn network .... Just watching Tyler Florence prepare creme' brulee gets me all excited !!!!
O yeah he is a hottie
Quote:

eeeeek, do your research, I've read the natural one made from pigs is better.........look for some forums with hypo folks......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
yeah!!!! Tis true though!!! I read somewhere that to maintain you basically have to do what you did to lose the weight. And I do think peeps that the quicker you get your head around that thought, the easier it'll be for you.
yup, can't ever go back, grain and legume free for life here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good morning! Yesterday was my first true Stillman's day in awhile. I was hungry last evening but had an emergency call to make, followed by a meeting. By the time I got home I wasn't hungry anymore. I have some work to do this morning, and then I may be going to the amusement park with DD and grand girls. I'll take my tuna. I am not tempted by most park food because I'm in ketosis and because I've become so gluten intolerant, the tummy issues that result from eating "forbidden" food have caused me to not want to eat them. And now it is time for breakfast and then I'm off to save the world! Have a great day, everyone!
have a gr8 day Mim, I can so relate to the intolerant thing, all the carby sugar stuff gives me massive heartb urn, so it's not even worth eating........

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go.........happy day to all BBL!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:

I have hypothyroidism...my symptoms included incredible fatigue w/sleeplessness, mood swings, muscle aches and joint pain, water retention (lymph system does not work well); I also had extreme difficulty losing any weight ( I was actually gaining on 1200 calories a day - when I was 60 lbs. overweight!)

I now take two meds for the hypothyroidism...levothyroxine (which is generic synthroid) and liothyronine. Do the meds works: Yes. Fatigue is much reduced; I can sleep now (interrupted often- it's like taking a series of 2 hours naps, but at least now I can go back to sleep & get a total of 8-9 hours, and I feel way less sluggish when I get up in the morning. Before I was lucky to get a total of 4-5 hours including often taking a nap in the afternoon. Rarely feel a need for a nap now. The muscle aches & mood swings are gone. I still have the water retention issues...apparently my lymph system was damaged and that doesn't repair, but at least it hasn't gotten worse since I started the meds. I can lose weight now, but it's slow (contrary to what you may read, getting on thryroid meds is not a magic-weight-loss-pill. The meds just replace what was supposed to be there naturally...so if you had a dragging metabolism, they will bring you back to normal metabolism. But the meds will not turn you into a super-revved up calorie burning machine, lol.)

It's a good thing you got diagnosed...untreated hypothyroidism can lead to lots of damage, affecting all your body's systems. And that damage can be permanent...all the way up to coma & death.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:

I was having a really hard time losing till I started drinking just water. No sugar subs at all. The weight started coming off as soon as I did. I know some people have no issues with it. I am not one of them.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Only .2 today but that is still 2 lbs in 2 days. Nothing to feel bad about!

The last week I have not been eating in the morning. I wait till lunch and have a turkey burger. Today I decided to have egg drop soup for breakfast. It was yummy but the egg texture is WEIRD. It was a nice change tho.

Quote:

That stinks. I hope they can get control of that quickly. I read years ago that iodine deficiency was a leading cause of that. Can they pin point what caused it in you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGirl View Post
Good morning everyone!

I had a major burst of energy yesterday afternoon/evening and cleaned my apartment for hours! I hate cleaning with a passion but needed to do something with all that energy. However, this morning, I'm feeling a bit wiped. May have overdone it as I also took my dog on two separate 1 mile walks as well. Maybe too much too soon and I should be a little careful until I give my body a bit more adjustment time.

I'm shaking the pom-poms to all of those dishing out the tough to swallow truth about maintaining. About 15 years ago I lost over 100 lbs and then made the mistake of returning to old eating habits and gained it all plus some as the years went on. I recall at 250, then 260, then 282 just feeling like the battle to lose was so enormous that I shouldn't even bother. Well, I finally hit rock bottom, found Medifast and my life changed forever. I learned from that earlier mistake and vowed to never let myself slip too far ever again.

You find me here now not because I am at an unhealthy weight - I am actually at a size lower than the maximum that I permit myself in maintenance. However, I got a taste of being leaner and even healthier and would like to return to that state.
Wow sounds like you have been all over the weight loss journey. Congrats on losing it. I hope you get to the leaner self you are striving for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Have fun at the park with your girls! I am curious. Does your amusement park allow you to bring food in? If not do you have to explain the tuna? lol
Our park here does not allow outside food in unless you have a medical reason for it. I do not think my "Your park food is expensive and bad for my bod" will cut it.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Hey guys
I am really struggling with this plan. I feel so awful by the end of the day of eating lean meat only. I miss vegetables so much (especially salads) I don't think I can stick to this. I am going to try an experiment and stay with the lean protein but add in salad vegetables and balsamic vinegar as dressing (no oil) I think the reason I was so stalled on atkins was my calories were too high eating all that fat, cheese and olive oil.
I think stillmans QWL works mainly due it's super low calorie count (seriously how much lean protein can one eat in a day?!) especially the turkey burger and tuna plans.
I give major props to you guys that can stick to this plan as you have more will power than I do. I just feel awful on the meat only.

Does anyone have experience doing a plan of lean protein and veggies only?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Everybody -

All my other levels (vitamins, kidney function, electrolytes, liver, etc) were beyond perfect. The doc said my running is lengthening my life and he wished he had my numbers. The only thing that stuck out was the LOW thyroid.

I have some Idoral (iodine) so I was gonna try pairing it SLOWLY with the Synthroid. I'm not expecting much - if it just helps the fatigue im fine.

My lymphatic system was absolutely AWAKENED when I started running. I lost 4 pounds, but I went down 2 dress sizes to a size 2!! Everyone said it looked like I lost 30 pounds - but It was just all that water.

So exercise really helps with water retention.

My doc said he has no idea how I was able to run 4 miles a day Hypothyroid.

Milo - I was able to do a couple days tuna only (dry tuna) nothing else but water, then a couple days of dry turkey burger.

How do you do it? Pissed off determination is how. Pulling out ALL the stops and getting MAD. I was tired of playing games with myself. Once you find that ANGER within and youre fed-up...its amazing how much motivation you get.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

"Healthy For Life" - its called "detox" and thats why you feel like crap. Push through. The other side is worth it.

The veggies will only make it harder. Been there, done that.

You'll feel like crap and tired and everything else the first 3 days. Youre body is screaming for carbs like an addict, right? Once you do this off and on it gets better.

But add in those veggies if you want, I've been down that road.

We dont have any more willpower than you do - willpower is a muscle (like someone said earlier) you gotta use it and strengthen it. So go on and use it.

You can do it. Whether or not you CHOOSE to do is up to you.

BUT some people dont like Stillmans though, I can totally understand that.

My brother thought I was NUTS when I suggested this plan to him. But guess what, he trusted me and got through the crappy beginning and lost 110 pounds.

Now he LOVES Stillmans.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Thanks Erin- I will try to push through today...I really want to lose 10-15 pounds in time for my vacation in a month. sounds like stillman's is my only hope to lose that quickly!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Hi everyone!
I was happy that I bounced back quickly from my indulgent weekend. Back down to 147 yesterday, and down 1 lb today! I tried tilapia for the first time yesterday and I really liked it, which was surprising because I'm not usually a fan of white fish. Looks like there will be more of that in my near future! I'm gonna try to eat fish at least once or twice a week from now on.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Good Afternoon everyone !!!! Turkey meal plan day three .... and down another pound .... I may do the T&W next week for a different flavoured meal plan and also see if it makes a difference in my weight loss .... I want to do a water and tea only day too eventually .... I really want to be out of this decade asap !!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
"Healthy For Life" - its called "detox" and thats why you feel like crap. Push through. The other side is worth it.

The veggies will only make it harder. Been there, done that.

You'll feel like crap and tired and everything else the first 3 days. Youre body is screaming for carbs like an addict, right? Once you do this off and on it gets better.

But add in those veggies if you want, I've been down that road.

We dont have any more willpower than you do - willpower is a muscle (like someone said earlier) you gotta use it and strengthen it. So go on and use it.

You can do it. Whether or not you CHOOSE to do is up to you.

BUT some people dont like Stillmans though, I can totally understand that.

My brother thought I was NUTS when I suggested this plan to him. But guess what, he trusted me and got through the crappy beginning and lost 110 pounds.

Now he LOVES Stillmans.
And Congrats to your brother!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy for life View Post
Thanks Erin- I will try to push through today...I really want to lose 10-15 pounds in time for my vacation in a month. sounds like stillman's is my only hope to lose that quickly!
What day are you on? I get what a lot of low carbers call the induction flu. I seriously feel like complete crap for 3 days. Headaches, exhausted, the whole mess, till I go into ketosis on about the 4th day. Try to push through if you want to stay on.
If you want to add veggies that is OK to. You have to do what is right for you. This diet is most definitely not for everyone.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Hi everyone!
I was happy that I bounced back quickly from my indulgent weekend. Back down to 147 yesterday, and down 1 lb today! I tried tilapia for the first time yesterday and I really liked it, which was surprising because I'm not usually a fan of white fish. Looks like there will be more of that in my near future! I'm gonna try to eat fish at least once or twice a week from now on.
Happy for you. It feels great when your body bounces back quick.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry for the multi posts. I usually try to merge it all.
Just got done taking the dogs and kids for a 2 mile walk. It really felt great! I think my weight is getting down far enough that I can start getting a bit of exercise in without falling dead. (stupid heart)

Quote:
Good Afternoon everyone !!!! Turkey meal plan day three .... and down another pound .... I may do the T&W next week for a different flavoured meal plan and also see if it makes a difference in my weight loss .... I want to do a water and tea only day too eventually .... I really want to be out of this decade asap !!!!
for the pound. Good luck with the tuna and water. That is one I will not be doing. Right now my weight is moving good enough for me. I may be willing to do more extreme later down the road when I have trouble losing the last 20 or something.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #413
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loseitquickly
Down 2 lbs....YEAH!!!!

Made it through the first day, went thru some nausea and was thinking last night don't know how I'm gonna do this? The thought of eatting meat was literally making me nauseas but got up and on the scale and saw my little 2 lb loss and regained my inspiration. I CAN DO THIS

My meals for yesterday were as follows:
2 boiled eggs breakfast
burger patty and egg drop soup Lunch
grilled chicken with 2 leaves of romain lettuce and 4 tomatoes ( I know lettuce is not on the list but I have to have some ruffage so if it slows be down a bit its ok but so far so good).

Hoping everyone has a great day today

Last edited by loseitquickly; 06-13-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Sorry for the multi posts. I usually try to merge it all.
Just got done taking the dogs and kids for a 2 mile walk. It really felt great! I think my weight is getting down far enough that I can start getting a bit of exercise in without falling dead. (stupid heart)

Awesome !!!! I love walking .... When I lived in N.Y.C I walked the long streets of Manhattan .... I never needed a drivers license, I walked mostly everywhere .... Now I feel like Snow White with all the deer's , bunnies, and birds in good ol' Lancaster P.a It is definitely a peaceful area to walk ....

for the pound. Good luck with the tuna and water. That is one I will not be doing. Right now my weight is moving good enough for me. I may be willing to do more extreme later down the road when I have trouble losing the last 20 or something.
Thank you soooo much ! I barely eat .... I feel full fast .... I think I should eat more to lose more weight faster .... I think you're doing great !!!! I have my pet family that keep me busy a dog and four cats .... I know the cats will be swarming me like sharks when I do the T&W diet
Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Hi everyone!
Congratulations lil lav !!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseitquickly View Post
Made it through the first day, went thru some nausea and was thinking last night dont no how I gonna do this. The though of eatting me was literally making me nauseas but got up and on the scale and say my little 2 lb loss and regained my inspiration. I CAN DO THIS

2 boiled eggs breakfast
grilled chicken with 2 leaves of romain lettuce and 4 tomatoes ( I know lettuce is not on the list but I have to have some ruffage so if it slows be down a bit its ok but so far so good).

yayyyyy !!!! Awesome !!!! thank you have a great day too !
Old 06-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #417
Senior LCF Member

Here are some ground turkey recipes that are low in carbs that you may find useful on off plan healthy meal plan days ....

Low Carb Ground Turkey Recipes
Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #418
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
wow nice looses t'all.........Erin, love the posts, keep them coming!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy for life View Post
Hey guys
I am really struggling with this plan. I feel so awful by the end of the day of eating lean meat only. I miss vegetables so much (especially salads) I don't think I can stick to this. I am going to try an experiment and stay with the lean protein but add in salad vegetables and balsamic vinegar as dressing (no oil) I think the reason I was so stalled on atkins was my calories were too high eating all that fat, cheese and olive oil.
I think stillmans QWL works mainly due it's super low calorie count (seriously how much lean protein can one eat in a day?!) especially the turkey burger and tuna plans.
I give major props to you guys that can stick to this plan as you have more will power than I do. I just feel awful on the meat only.

Does anyone have experience doing a plan of lean protein and veggies only?
I completely understand why the meat only diet is difficult for you .... It is not easy .... I find when I go off plan and enjoy a healthy low carb meal for two days, it really makes a difference for me .... I make sure it is low carb, not too high in fat, low to moderate calories per serving and eat a serving only .... I love the one or two serving low carb recipes I have found .... Good luck with your new WOE ....
Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loseitquickly View Post
Made it through the first day, went thru some nausea and was thinking last night don't know how I'm gonna do this? The thought of eatting meat was literally making me nauseas but got up and on the scale and saw my little 2 lb loss and regained my inspiration. I CAN DO THIS

2 boiled eggs breakfast

That is great! It is tough pushing through the hard days, but it is so worth it the next day when you realized you didn't give into it. I had one yesterday and today is much easier.
Closed Thread