Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 235/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: September 2 2014
I am down a pound today. 1 more till I hit stats. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
oh, thank you so much angelstill for the maintenance guidance post and also for noticing i reached goal and am staying there.
I just wanted to say congrats for hitting your goal and the accomplishment of staying at it. I wish you the best luck maintaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Just wondering peeps:

Anyone else have dry skin with Stillmans? Using body oil but whoa.
I do but it does not seem to be as bad when I eat higher fat fish like salmon and stay hydrated. Small price t pay for how fast I can lose on this plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majar View Post
Was 148 this saturday so really wanna get below 144 if I can....wish me luck!
Good luck! You can totally get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
Totally clean day! Canned chicken with curry, canned tuna with Dijon, some eggs & hot sauce. Coffee with sugarfree syrup, 3 diet sodas, a couple sticks of gum, and lots of water. Tomorrow I want to challenge myself & see if I can drink only water and eat meat/eggs without condiments.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas...I can't wait to start seeing my hard work pay off with weight loss.
Way to go on eating clean! Stick with it. You won't be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
Surgery that was planned for tomorrow has been cancelled and will now take place early July. Will have def reached goal by then. Thing is I am not weighing at the moment. I used to every day but I have found that I have way more success just going by my clothes and I suppose in a way that will put me in good stead when I get to maintenance. Anyway, I just bought these really cute super duper skinny cargo style trousers... I can get into them but it is not an attractive sight! I'm guessing when they fit well, I would have made it.
I can't wait to get where you are. I hate being this big and scale obsessed. Good luck with your surgery in July if it is not brought up again by then.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Yayyyy !!!! back on plan turkey burgers and burnng fat !!!! My clothes fit me so loose and those kind of visible results determine more than the scale .... Tomorrow I will weigh and see .... I enjoyed my low carb off plan meals over the weekend .... I did portion control and that is very well something I loved and learned about weight watchers points system.... Exercise, I love walking and for some reason , It loves me because it helps me lose weight and keep the muscles strong in my legs and butt they are the firmest part of my body .... I need to find some arm and belly work outs .... Perhaps those wall push -ups .... Im2 had mentioned in a previous post .... Good luck everyone !!!!

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Angelstill how did you know? You are right I have had a lot of sun lately. I need to be extra careful.
It only made sense .... if I lived at Laguna Beach I would do the same, sun and surf ok definitely sun .... Hang Ten I don't think so !
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

WTG !!!! Bratty one down another to go !!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
Yayyyy !!!! back on plan turkey burgers and burnng fat !!!! My clothes fit me so loose and those kind of visible results determine more than the scale .... Tomorrow I will weigh and see .... I enjoyed my low carb off plan meals over the weekend .... I did portion control and that is very well something I loved and learned about weight watchers points system.... Exercise, I love walking and for some reason , It loves me because it helps me lose weight and keep the muscles strong in my legs and butt they are the firmest part of my body .... I need to find some arm and belly work outs .... Perhaps those wall push -ups .... Im2 had mentioned in a previous post .... Good luck everyone !!!!
Glad you enjoyed your healthy days off. It sounds like they are sort of training for how you may eat when you have reached goal and are maintaining.

I need to start walking. I know my body and dogs would appreciate it. They are still puppies and just learned how to walk on the leash without ripping my arm out of socket.
I use my hand weights and do some minor lifting while I watch a show on tv. I am dreading to know what my arms are going to look like when I lose a lot of weight.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #336
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SillyErin
Stats: 198/139/127
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 5/16/12
Hi Everybody!!

Ive been gone - and you guys post so fast - I doubt I'll ever catch up! I skimmed through everyones posts and it looks like you all are doing well.

Something that caught my eye - I noticed someone questioning the small amount of turkey burger. I eat around a pound (within the Fast-5 window) which comes out to 680 calories. Well over HCG protocol, and I take a break every 5th day - they do 500 for 40 days!! I couldnt imagine that!

So really, with my "refeed" days - it averages out to about 1,000 per day (if you calculate weekly totals).

Even with Stillmans, you take in a small amount of calories - but people will stall if they overeat protein.

The turkey burger is 5gram of protein per ounce. If you eat 10 oz, thats 50 grams. You dont want to OVEREAT protein or UNDEREAT it, as well.

If I eat more towards 100 grams of protein a day, I stall -- even if my calories are low. People dont realize to extra protein gets stored as fat.

You should aim for 1 gram of protein PER pound of LBM. Just calculate the weight you want to be in Kilograms, and eat that number in grams of protein.

Example: If I want to weigh 120 - thats 57 kg. I'd eat 57 g of protein per day. (so around 11oz of turkey) Although, I eat 60-80 grams and find it still works.

What you want to do, normally, is add vegetables to get more food in (but we're doing Stillmans here, so obviously no vegetables). So what we'd want to do IS - either cycle it with a refeed day (since our turkey burger days are such low calorie) or find low protein foods that fit the protocol. Chicken, eggs, etc.

Either way - you need to play around and experiment with the "Magic Formula"...you dont want constant low calorie, but you dont want veggies, but you dont want TOO much protein.

Thats why the turkey burger works so well - its the lowest protein meat, but has more fat and calories to keep you satisfied.

Chicken on the otherhand, has more protein but less calories. Which means you can easily go over the protein alotment for your body, but still feel HUNGRY because there is virtually no fat.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Had a very indulgent weekend starting with that chinese food I had on Friday. Probably the most I've veered from the plan since I've started... lots of cheese, veggies, a glass or two of wine, and even a couple bites of low carb icecream. As a result, I'm up 2 lbs this morning at 149. Not very proud of that... today was supposed to be leftover day from the weekend but after seeing the scale, I think it calls for a turkey burger day. The rest of the week will consist of fish for the most part, aside from the low carb chicken salad I'm making on Wednesday for my boyfriend's company BBQ. I figured it would work out since I can still stay low carb with something I know won't stall me, plus I'll have something to contribute! I hope to be back at 147 tomorrow.

Quote:
For those of you that have been doing Stillman's for awhile and are close to goal, could you share any tips/words of wisdom about your journey? Did you ever stall? Did you have cravings? Did you doubt that you could actually eat this way for weeks and months?

I aspire to lose the 40ish extra lbs I've been carrying around since puberty, and it seems that Stillman's is the only way I'll be able to do that. Any advice/tips from the big losers would be most appreciated!
I started with 35 lbs (or more if I can) to lose so with such a small number, my weight loss has seemed relatively slow compared to those who started at higher numbers. I lost about 17 lbs in the first month, and now it's slowed down quite a bit. I haven't really been following strict Stillmans the entire time, though, because I find that I don't lose much more weight that way than I do just sticking MOSTLY to Stillmans with really low carb recipes (less than 5g of carbs) and eating only meat, fish and eggs (til recently where I add in veggies occasionally). In the beginning, I couldn't imagine eating this way for a long time but you get used to it after a while, especially when the end is in sight and you know you're not going to have to eat that way forever! Just keep with it and do the best you can! Even if you have off days here and there, as long as you get back on track, you can do it. I'd say it's reasonable to lose 40 lbs in 3 months, maybe a little less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majar View Post
Had two off days (Atkins style- ate cheese and bacon and a lil guac with my fajitas) and am gonna go back on hard core this week til Saturday when I go out. Was 148 this saturday so really wanna get below 144 if I can....wish me luck!

I have been burning around 700 or calories more a day at the gym and lifting weights (arms and abs) and I was wondering what other people have been doing with exercise. Does it stall you? Does it help? Should I do less weights? Should I eat more volume if I do it? Anyone know? I know SillyErin and some others mentioned they were big runners.
Good luck! I'm right there with ya. I hope to get down to 144 by the end of the week as well. That's some pretty intense exercise, though! I exercise but not that much. I go to the gym 4 times a week and do at least 30 mins of cardio every day, and usually include weight machines (mostly abs and legs, a couple things for arms) for two of those days. Because I started exercising from the beginning, I'm not sure but I think it has slowed down my weight loss due to the increase of muscle. I don't eat any more or less on my gym days, I try to burn at least 200 calories no matter what. I don't know from personal experience but it would make sense that cutting out the weights may increase loss, but asssumnig you're thinking long term results, I wouldn't count them out completely! I want to get down to my goal AND have a nice, lean, healthy new body that comes with it.

Last edited by littlelavender; 06-11-2012 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
thanks, erin. i appreciate that great explanation on the protein amounts. i was just getting ready to ask how much protein people are eating. i believe that today i went way too high on the protein and i don't feel near as good, although i'm still very low on calories. i had more chicken today which brings the proteins higher than having more eggs. i also do soy protein powder. i don't see that item on the stillmans list, but it has no carbs, no fat and low calories with medium amount of protein levels (much lower than some other protein powders i have looked at). i'm at goal, so i'm not worried about a stall, just want to maintain. i have 1.2 grams of protein per body pound and i'm at 103 for weight. that is about 122 grams of protein in one day. it's too much. i was staying more around 90-100 grams of protein and that seemed to feel good, but may still be too much based on your examples of 1 gram protein per kilogram.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #339
Senior LCF Member

thanks, bratty! i love your dog photo. so cute. yes, maintaining will be a challenge. i'm going to hang out here with all of you, because you are all doing the right things and eat in a way that causes real weight loss. i appreciate coming here and find it helps so much.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

my way of eating is listed as atkins, but i'm doing stillmans. does anyone know how to change that profile. it's what i chose when i first started low carbing and found that atkins does not make me feel near as good as stillmans, and i get much better results on stillmans.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Glad you enjoyed your healthy days off. It sounds like they are sort of training for how you may eat when you have reached goal and are maintaining.

I need to start walking. I know my body and dogs would appreciate it. They are still puppies and just learned how to walk on the leash without ripping my arm out of socket.
I use my hand weights and do some minor lifting while I watch a show on tv. I am dreading to know what my arms are going to look like when I lose a lot of weight.
Thank you ! I sure did and by Wednesday I know that I will be planning next weekend's healthy meals .... Now with summer in full swing I am thinking of definitely making Aloha Chicken .... Today's first turkey meal went well .... I feel full after two burgers .... I drink a lot of water and perhaps that plays a big part in my feeling full .... I will be walking tonight as well .... I will try some light weights and resistant bands for my arms .... and Bratty, I am sure your arms will be just fine after you reach your goal weight because you are already toning them .... I hope that everyone had a good day !!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
my way of eating is listed as atkins, but i'm doing stillmans. does anyone know how to change that profile. it's what i chose when i first started low carbing and found that atkins does not make me feel near as good as stillmans, and i get much better results on stillmans.
Sure do, click on user control panel then click on edit your details ....
Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I felt always much more tired on Atkins , then I read that high in fat steaks and salad dressings may be the culprit .... I thought it was just me ....
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Erin , I did my calculations for protein amounts .... I must say very helpful ....
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chickyboo
Stats: 196/180/140
Start Date: June 2, 2012
Thanks everyone!! I only wish I found this diet sooner!! Loving this thread, learning so much and the support is awesome. Glad that I'm not alone in the dry, itchy skin department. Everyone is so helpful, its fantastic.

Congrats to all the other losers this week... keep up your great work
Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickyboo View Post
Thanks everyone!! I only wish I found this diet sooner!! Loving this thread, learning so much and the support is awesome. Glad that I'm not alone in the dry, itchy skin department. Everyone is so helpful, its fantastic.

Congrats to all the other losers this week... keep up your great work
Olive oil is very useful for dry skin. It helps to moisturize and re-hydrate, while promoting new skin growth.

Oatmeal can be extremely beneficial to dry skin, especially during winter. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oatmeal to warm bath water and soak for about 15 minutes for best results.

Chamomile
Drink chamomile tea to help reduce the inflammation in your skin.

Vitamin E
Take a daily supplement of Vitamin E to help relieve the itching and dryness.

Honey is high in antioxidants and helps promote healing. Rub a small amount of honey directly on your skin for best results.

Considerations
Use only hypoallergenic soaps, lotions and makeup to help reduce dry itchy skin. Remove all gluten products from your diet. Gluten allergy can cause excessive dry skin.

I hope this was helpful ....
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

thanks! yes, i was exhausted eating all the fat. i did loose initially, but i couldn't work because i was so tired and the gym was pathetic. when i stopped all the fat, my energy started coming right back and I began to feel like doing things again. i call it my atkins fog. glad i'm out of that.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Awwwww how cute !!!! Shreem that poodle is so adorable !
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #349
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chickyboo
Stats: 196/180/140
Start Date: June 2, 2012
Quote:
Olive oil is very useful for dry skin. It helps to moisturize and re-hydrate, while promoting new skin growth.

Oatmeal can be extremely beneficial to dry skin, especially during winter. Add 1 cup of old fashioned oatmeal to warm bath water and soak for about 15 minutes for best results.

Chamomile
Drink chamomile tea to help reduce the inflammation in your skin.

Vitamin E
Take a daily supplement of Vitamin E to help relieve the itching and dryness.

Honey is high in antioxidants and helps promote healing. Rub a small amount of honey directly on your skin for best results.

Considerations
Use only hypoallergenic soaps, lotions and makeup to help reduce dry itchy skin. Remove all gluten products from your diet. Gluten allergy can cause excessive dry skin.

I hope this was helpful ....
Thank you so much for all that information, will def. try some of those suggestions. That was more than helpful.... I really appreciate it. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #350
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loseitquickly
Newbi Here....Hello

I will be starting this new way of living tomorrow.

My goal is to take this journey 20 lbs at a time so I have a goal of 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Maybe I'll do more which would be a plus.

I have a couple of questions:

Since no fruit is allowed what do you do to combact the intestinal issues if you get my drift?

Was reading about "refeed" and was wondering when to start this and how often do you do it. Do I need to start doing this the first week or is it something that you do in time?

My main concern is that since this comes off so fast....how do you keep it off? Anyone with any experience with this I would love to hear from you

Thanks and I'm glad I found you ladies and hope we can all attain our goals with allot of hard work and patient family members
Old 06-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: Stillman's for now
Wasn't able to have a no condiment/no diet soda day today, but it is a goal I'd like to accomplish soon.

Today was a challenging/unusual day. I manage a kitchen in a bar, so I'm around greasy yummy food all the time. Usually I just cook up chicken breasts to hold me over, but today we were doing a menu photo shoot, and I had to cook up a bunch off food that would be photographed. And the thing that tempted me the most was a hot dog of all things. So I ate one (without the bun) and then I ate a hamburger patty with 2 slices of cheese. This is in addittion to the chicken breasts I ate earlier. At least I stuck with meat.

Had a few cravings today, but they were easier go ignore. I've read that willpower is a muscle, and the more you use it, the stronger it becomes. Anytime a craving hit, I would tell myself "You're right, a sandwich/fries/whatever would taste good right now...but I'm not eating it because I'm on Stillman's and losing weight will make you feel even better than eating that food." Even when the craving was really bad, I noticed it never lasted more than a couple minutes. I feel like I'm reprogramming my impulse control, which feels empowering.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #352
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TOGirl
Stats: 282/TBD/135
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: June 11, 2012
Good morning everyone!

I've been lurking and reading up on past threads/posts and thought I should jump in the fray since I've decided to use Stillman's to get my body back where I'd like it to be.

Some background on me - I lost about 150 lbs in just over 9 months using Medifast in 2007. I've managed to keep myself at a size 8-10 within the last 5 years. However, earlier this year, I worked my way down to a size 6 (wow - I never thought I could get that small) and I loved the way I looked! I ended up getting a bit smaller than that and got called Skeletor by one of my male friends so I think I'll stick with the size 6 as a goal.

At any rate, I've always used David Draper's 3 day Tuna and Water diet (yes, it is as boring as it sounds) whenever I've over indulged to keep my weight in check. Works like a charm and I recently realized that this pretty much falls into Stillman's QWL.

My problem is, I went about two months of over indulging without ever putting this strategy back in place and have worked my way up to between a size 8 and 10. :S

What can I say? The weather has been gorgeous and the patio + beer + nachos/wings/sweet potato fries have really added up.

So, I'm using this strict tuna + water diet for now to jumpstart my weight loss and suppress my appetite/carb cravings. I would like to continue using this with some refeeds and maybe even some Fast 5 days to change things up.

I really appreciate all the great support, information and sharing of ups and downs in this forum. I'm hoping by posting here, I can hold myself accountable and hopefully provide some cheerleading support in return.

I hope everyone has a great Stillman's Day!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #353
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by loseitquickly View Post

My goal is to take this journey 20 lbs at a time so I have a goal of 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Maybe I'll do more which would be a plus.

Since no fruit is allowed what do you do to combact the intestinal issues if you get my drift?

Was reading about "refeed" and was wondering when to start this and how often do you do it. Do I need to start doing this the first week or is it something that you do in time?

My main concern is that since this comes off so fast....how do you keep it off? Anyone with any experience with this I would love to hear from you

Thanks and I'm glad I found you ladies and hope we can all attain our goals with allot of hard work and patient family members
Good morning and welcome! I have a couple of answers!

Take magnesium for "intestinal issues." I take it before bed each night. It will keep things moving.

Not everyone does a "refeed." If you decide to do it, I would suggest waiting a few weeks so that you can build your willpower up. Refeeds can cause the cravings to come back. A weight loss stall is more than no change in weight for a few days. A stall is when your weight hasn't changed in a couple of weeks. You will lose weight quickly at first and then it will taper down.

And as for keeping it off - I've heard but since I'm nowhere near goal I can't attest: most folk around here add some low carb fruit and veggies. You will be able to do some trial and error when you get to that happy point!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #354
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Well, the good news on my weigh in day, I haven't gained. The bad news is that I haven't lost. This is actually a victory for me because I've maintained my 15 pound weight loss for about 2 months. But in those two months I've gained and lost the same 3 pounds over and over. Today I am starting strict Stillmans! I have been looking forward to this. I don't have any obligations that involve food from now until July 1st. That gives me 2 weeks and 4 days to lose as much as I can before I'm away for a 4 day conference. I have some meetings at the conference where food will be served, but mostly I'll be eating at restaurants or having tuna in my room. My goal for the conference will be not to gain anything. And on that note - I'm off to get ready for work! Have a great day, everyone!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Angelstill I couldn't go on living without olive oil for my skin! I even use it on my face and since it's non-comedogenic I have no breakouts from it.

I'm glad to see that everyone seems to be doing well! to the new folks!!
It was a big mistake for me to do the refeed.. it did not go according to plan at all. I think it's because I tried it too soon after my vacation, which I indulged during, so there were leftover cravings that I didn't handle well. So I'm going to try to stick to just stillmans until July then I'll give refeeds another go. I've been tryng to get out of the 50's for over two months, I get so close then mess up and bounce up almost to the 60's again. Over and over again. I'm going to have to swim IN PUBLIC the first week of July so maybe I'll have the motivation to get it done this time.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Well after a very indulgent weekend I am back on track (as of yesterday) and weighed in at 148 this morning. I am going to do a clean Stillman's all week and am hoping to be 144 by Friday That's my goal...lets hope the body cooperates with my plan I have 4 weeks to my vacation, time to really get strict now!

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday so far!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Down 1.8 today. I got back to posted stats plus an additional .8

My goal was to be out of the 200s by the end of the month. I think I might actually do it.
Today is the first day of summer break for the kids and they are already bored and nagging me every 2 minutes. It is going to be a looooong summer!

Quote:
thanks, bratty! i love your dog photo. so cute.
Thank you! He is my sweet little man. But man that tongue is always needing to lick a person.

Quote:

Welcome! Best wishes with Stillman. It is a great way to lose it definitely works.

I also take magnesium everyday to help keep things moving.

When I do strict stillman I do not do refeeds. I think some here do Stillman for a certain amount of days and then the refeeds are atkinish for a day or two. If you plan to do that I to would suggest waiting a few weeks to get your willpower built up. Once you step off the plan it is HARD to get back on and it can lead to you being off a lot longer and eating really bad foods.

I do have planned days off. Usually every 2-3 weeks. I plan to have one day off with whatever I want. Not a binging fest but at least a few things I really enjoy. Sometimes these plans go smoothly usually they slide into multiple days and I regret it. One day I hope to control it much better.

Quote:
Wasn't able to have a no condiment/no diet soda day today, but it is a goal I'd like to accomplish soon.

Today was a challenging/unusual day. I manage a kitchen in a bar, so I'm around greasy yummy food all the time. Usually I just cook up chicken breasts to hold me over, but today we were doing a menu photo shoot, and I had to cook up a bunch off food that would be photographed. And the thing that tempted me the most was a hot dog of all things. So I ate one (without the bun) and then I ate a hamburger patty with 2 slices of cheese. This is in addittion to the chicken breasts I ate earlier. At least I stuck with meat.

Had a few cravings today, but they were easier go ignore. I've read that willpower is a muscle, and the more you use it, the stronger it becomes. Anytime a craving hit, I would tell myself "You're right, a sandwich/fries/whatever would taste good right now...but I'm not eating it because I'm on Stillman's and losing weight will make you feel even better than eating that food." Even when the craving was really bad, I noticed it never lasted more than a couple minutes. I feel like I'm reprogramming my impulse control, which feels empowering.
Well done keeping to all meat. That would be torture for me to be in a kitchen like that. Sounds like you get to work that muscle a lot. The worst I deal with is cooking for the kids. Peanut butter sandwiches kill me. I want one so bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGirl View Post
Good morning everyone!

I've been lurking and reading up on past threads/posts and thought I should jump in the fray since I've decided to use Stillman's to get my body back where I'd like it to be.

Welcome!
Congrats on the massive amount of weight you have lost. That really is awesome. I wish you luck losing what you have gained back. I lost almost 30 pounds years ago and then let it all go, gained it back plus 30 of their friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Well, the good news on my weigh in day, I haven't gained. The bad news is that I haven't lost. This is actually a victory for me because I've maintained my 15 pound weight loss for about 2 months. But in those two months I've gained and lost the same 3 pounds over and over. Today I am starting strict Stillmans! I have been looking forward to this. I don't have any obligations that involve food from now until July 1st. That gives me 2 weeks and 4 days to lose as much as I can before I'm away for a 4 day conference. I have some meetings at the conference where food will be served, but mostly I'll be eating at restaurants or having tuna in my room. My goal for the conference will be not to gain anything. And on that note - I'm off to get ready for work! Have a great day, everyone!
Yay for no gain. I hope you are able to get some good numbers over the next 2 weeks.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:

Hi, and welcome. Couple of things...first, please don't count on losing 20 lbs in 4 weeks. Unless you are very, very overweight (like 100+ lbs. or more) this is probably not going to happen. You *might* lose 5 lbs a week, but chances are you will not. Count on maybe 5-7 lbs. the first week, then 2-3 lbs a week afterwards...less if you don't have a whole lot to lose, or if you have the "cheat" or "re-feed" days built in. If you read back through the Stillman's threads, people are losing maybe 10-15 lbs. a month - 20 lbs a month is few & far between. Perhaps you will be one of the lucky ones that the weight just absolutely melts off, but for most people it is a quite a bit slower than 20 lbs. a month. Just don't want you to set yourself up for failure by having expectations too high.

2nd, people taking magnesium for the digestive issues...that's for getting-you-going, of course. Now some people (including me) get the opposite issue...going way too much! I use Fiber Choice chewable tablets (strawberry flavor, sugar free. I use 1/2 to 1 tablet a day take care of my issues) to slow things down. So keep that in mind if you have the loose issues.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 06-12-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #359
Senior LCF Member

TOGirl - YES! I get Draper's emails and always wondered about his "Tuna and Water" diet and how well it worked. I always tried it but ended up feeling like crap (I had a soy allergy and didnt know it - Tuna has soy). BUT I can try it with the low sodium tuna (just water in it, no soy).

I have turkey to use up until the 14th, then I'll jump on the tuna bandwagon with you! Its easy to do - just eat tuna out of a can

I noticed someone asked about refeeds: I don't want to confuse anyone. Stillman's doesnt call or suggest "refeeds". The "turkey burger plan" I do - (which is very low calorie and only done for 4 consecutive days) includes a refeed day. This frankensteinish upgrade to the way I do Stillmans has nothing to do with anything he suggests in the book. I just sorta adapted it after I found how well it worked for me.

Refeeds can be a slippery slope - they work - but only if youre doing Stillmans in a very specific manner. (They wont work if youre eating all the lean protein you want, all day, and not counting calories OR protein)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Catne - Good Advice - 20 pounds a month is a high number (unless you lose 15 in the first week, which isnt unheard of)

You'll lose a large amount in the beginning (as you would with Atkins) - the difference is - with Stillmans you'll CONTINUE to lose, and folks on Atkins will eventually STALL.

The reasons for this are; with Stillmans youre appetite is never stimulated as it is with Atkins. Youre left with limited variety, and JUST protein so calorie levels remain low and you continue to lose.

Atkins is a losing battle - people dont realize you CAN'T EAT sticks of butter and bacon and loaded salads and continue to lose. People who get to a low weight with Atkins ARE PURPOSELY eating less.

I feel bad for people on YEAR LONG stalls who keep going with Atkins, thinking one day it will finally work (IT WONT, I WAS ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!!). You have to realize low carb works, but LOW CALORIE is the winner.

Thats how the "Fat Fast" works....youre eating ALL fat, so you dont get hungry...but guess what? Youre also eating 800 calories a day of a bite of cream cheese. Atkins advises people who are resistant to weight loss to try the FAT FAST....and it works! But guess how? Because it CUTS THE CALORIES!

And "MAINTAINING after STILLMANS"? Ask those of us who maintain our losses after Stillmans ("Getting there" "Allleria" ETC ETC) We never leave Stillmans...Ive been doing it since 2005 (on and off, and coming back). What happens is, you put a little weight on then take it back off with Stillmans, you watch your weight...and if you go up, you come right back to Stillmans. Thats how you do it (or at least how we all do it).
Closed Thread