Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
So, after I posted, I ate some eggs and did some reading. Then, all of a sudden, I got this intense sugar craving & I couldn't think about anything else but eating something sweet. I thought about maybe going off plan & making myself some coconut bark or some other high fat low carb treat. But I didn't want to cave this early in the game. I opened the pantry & found a tin of sardines. Ate them, and the sugar craving quickly disappeared.

Substitute sweets with meats to keep cravings at bay! Hopefully lean meaty sources of protein will satisfy any future cravings I might have.

Good job! You would have been kicking yourself if you gave in.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Aw thanks!! But I'm def not 116 anymore---more like 120-122----I do tell myself it's muscle, but I'm thinking no not really!! Mmmm maybe I should change my stats!
I don't have a tiny frame, I'd say I'm average. I do have narrow wrists and fingers, but then I have a broad enough back.
The good old Dr Stillman didn't believe that people were 'big-boned', and in a way I'm inclined to believe him. I think a lot of us say that when we're overweight--oh I'd never get down to a size x, I just don't have the bone structure etc. --but I thought that too, i thought a 6-8 would be as far as I could go. I think the more fat that comes off, the more fine-featured a person begins to look.
I will have to take a wait and see approach. I can not in a million years imagine be smaller than an 8. I would be over the moon if I did get smaller. I hope I do...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #303
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Lewis Hamilton has just won the F1 Montreal race BTW.......love him!
Ohhhhhhh yyaaaay!! Me too!! The germans were all like oh sabastian fettel(cant spell!) will win!! Loooove dreamy Lewis!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
hi GT, MMS, and everyone

sounds like a gr8 weekend is had by all YAY!

I did the marinate chik breasts in italian dressing thing then grilled them, they are delish but I'm tasting sugar in the fat free dressing so next time will make my own from scratch.

LC not a long term success????? I'll bet Sugar Free Sheila and GT would disagree........
I know how you feel about the sugar in marinades. My husband had a steak done in a lime cilantro last night. I tasted one bite and could just taste the sugar in it. It is a shame, it was really tasty.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #305
Big Yapper!!!!

Ja I seriously think a low carb lifestyle is theeeee only way to go for weight and health. Sugar is bad news period. It definitely doesn't have to be as strict as Stillmans-that for life is probably unworkable, but definitely low carb, lean and clean all the way!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #306
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I will have to take a wait and see approach. I can not in a million years imagine be smaller than an 8. I would be over the moon if I did get smaller. I hope I do...
Oh i think you could!! You're only an inch taller than me,! Stick with Stillmans and you'll be amazed at how small you actually are!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #307
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah dressings are a pain!!! Either loads of fat and calories or 'light' and sugary!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Angel, thanks for the article you posted. I have saved it for reference.

I got on the scale today. I am still 2lbs away from my stats. Maybe I will be there tomorrow. Yes, I plan to get on the scale. I can not stand it. I drive myself nuts not knowing what my weight is day to day.

I am still just enjoying eating turkey burgers for lunch and dinner and a couple pieces of cheddar as a snack. I have not been eating breakfast. I just never like eating in the morning.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and those of you off plan are able to get back on easily.

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Had my last turkey burger made with some taco seasoning I made. It was yummy. Thank you to whoever brought it up. It was a wonderful flavor change.

I am off to spend time with the hubby. G'night All!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #310
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
oh, thank you so much angelstill for the maintenance guidance post and also for noticing i reached goal and am staying there. this is so encouraging. i'm not adding carbs back for a awhile. after that marathon of losing gaining for months the same three pounds, i'm not interested in seeing that scale float up again. will take it one day at a time and keep eating my protein. i feel wonderful. i'm also so happy to come here and read posts of encouragement. i have finally learned and accepted that the high fat atkins woe is too liberal to keep the weight off permanently for me. i never would have gotten here without stillmans'.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SrfrGirl
Stats: Goal: 125 lbs.
WOE: Stillman's & Zero Carb
Start Date: 5/20/12 restart 12/23/12
Just wondering peeps:

Anyone else have dry skin with Stillmans? Using body oil but whoa.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Just wondering peeps:

that's funny...I'm reading your post & sitting here scratching my incredibly dry skin. So yes, I do have dry skin with Stillman's. Time to go put on some lotion.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Just wondering peeps:

Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
Because protein is such an important nutrient, you might think that more might be better for your health. The fact is that protein, like other nutrients, has a healthy intake range. Eating excess amounts can carry health risks, just like a deficiency. The recommended daily allowance for protein is 56 grams per day for adult men and 46 grams for adult women. If your diet exceeds these figures over the long term, you might notice negative side effects in your skin and eyes, due in part to the way your body metabolizes protein.
Protein Metabolism
Proteins differ chemically from fats and carbohydrates. Metabolism of protein requires different enzymes than the other two. Unlike carbs and fats, protein does not store in the body as protein. Rather, a continuous process of protein breakdown and synthesis occurs. The body replaces cells that die. This process requires protein metabolism to produce replacement cells. Protein metabolism requires more water than fats or carbohydrates do. An excessively high intake of protein, therefore, can lead to dehydration, which will directly affect your skin and eyes.

Here is some information you may find interesting .... My opinion on the subject matter is each individual reacts differently on a high protein diets ....
If in this case it were myself sensitive to high protein, I would eat salmon because it is high in protein and omega 3 s, which is wonderful for our skin .... In your case may it be the sun and surf ? I hope this information was helpful ....

Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !

Last edited by Angelstill; 06-10-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Great article, thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Angel, thanks for the article you posted. I have saved it for reference.

I got on the scale today. I am still 2lbs away from my stats. Maybe I will be there tomorrow. Yes, I plan to get on the scale. I can not stand it. I drive myself nuts not knowing what my weight is day to day.

I am still just enjoying eating turkey burgers for lunch and dinner and a couple pieces of cheddar as a snack. I have not been eating breakfast. I just never like eating in the morning.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and those of you off plan are able to get back on easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
oh, thank you so much angelstill for the maintenance guidance post and also for noticing i reached goal and am staying there. this is so encouraging. i'm not adding carbs back for a awhile. after that marathon of losing gaining for months the same three pounds, i'm not interested in seeing that scale float up again. will take it one day at a time and keep eating my protein. i feel wonderful. i'm also so happy to come here and read posts of encouragement. i have finally learned and accepted that the high fat atkins woe is too liberal to keep the weight off permanently for me. i never would have gotten here without stillmans'.

Your all very much welcome !!!! The articles that I have posted are the opinions and studies of others that I have found informative or useful.... that is not to say that I invariably agree with all of the information that they contain,
but I have always believed in evaluating every available resource that may be used to further my goal .... In this way I attempt to make sure that every possible avenue of advancement is explored in order to make sure that my efforts result in a healthy and sustainable weight loss .... I am merely sharing the insights that I have gained in the hopes that they may be helpful to others.... I wish for all of us to reach our goal weight healthy and safe ! ....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Had my last turkey burger made with some taco seasoning I made. It was yummy. Thank you to whoever brought it up. It was a wonderful flavor change.

I am off to spend time with the hubby. G'night All!
Bratty .... If my memory is correct, it was Silly Erin who said to make your own taco seasonings .....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A Cajun Family's Recipe Collection

Cajun Country -- New Iberia, Louisiana
Thank you very much for sharing recipes !

I will have to modify the Aloha Chicken LC .... I love pineapple !

Last edited by Angelstill; 06-10-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS
Those little changes are the huge ones to me. It is changing how you eat. If I compare my off days from a few years ago to the ones now, there is a HUGE difference. I am way more careful about what I eat. I think you learn a lot of lessons when you are losing weight. You have to reinvent the way you think about food.
This is so true. Well, even as someone who hasn't dieted before or never really payed attention to the nutrition of what I was eating, I've learned A LOT about food. That's probably one of the best things I'll take away from doing this diet. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat the same way again, and that's probably a very good thing.

That is exactly how I feel .... even on a off plan day , I pay close attention to what kind and how much food I consume ....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #318
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: majar
Stats: 205/151/125
WOE: Stillman's, Atkins
Had two off days (Atkins style- ate cheese and bacon and a lil guac with my fajitas) and am gonna go back on hard core this week til Saturday when I go out. Was 148 this saturday so really wanna get below 144 if I can....wish me luck!

I have been burning around 700 or calories more a day at the gym and lifting weights (arms and abs) and I was wondering what other people have been doing with exercise. Does it stall you? Does it help? Should I do less weights? Should I eat more volume if I do it? Anyone know? I know SillyErin and some others mentioned they were big runners.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
that's funny...I'm reading your post & sitting here scratching my incredibly dry skin. So yes, I do have dry skin with Stillman's. Time to go put on some lotion.
Yes Catne, I have been hitting the lotion (and body oil) as well. Going from a high fat to low fat diet has been great for my waist and dry skin is a small price to pay. I need to exfoliate totally tonight.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
Photo Credit Hemera Technologies/AbleStock.com/Getty Images
Because protein is such an important nutrient, you might think that more might be better for your health. The fact is that protein, like other nutrients, has a healthy intake range. Eating excess amounts can carry health risks, just like a deficiency. The recommended daily allowance for protein is 56 grams per day for adult men and 46 grams for adult women. If your diet exceeds these figures over the long term, you might notice negative side effects in your skin and eyes, due in part to the way your body metabolizes protein.
Protein Metabolism
Proteins differ chemically from fats and carbohydrates. Metabolism of protein requires different enzymes than the other two. Unlike carbs and fats, protein does not store in the body as protein. Rather, a continuous process of protein breakdown and synthesis occurs. The body replaces cells that die. This process requires protein metabolism to produce replacement cells. Protein metabolism requires more water than fats or carbohydrates do. An excessively high intake of protein, therefore, can lead to dehydration, which will directly affect your skin and eyes.

Here is some information you may find interesting .... My opinion on the subject matter is each individual reacts differently on a high protein diets ....
If in this case it were myself sensitive to high protein, I would eat salmon because it is high in protein and omega 3 s, which is wonderful for our skin .... In your case may it be the sun and surf ? I hope this information was helpful ....
Angelstill how did you know? You are right I have had a lot of sun lately. I need to be extra careful.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: Stillman's for now
Totally clean day! Canned chicken with curry, canned tuna with Dijon, some eggs & hot sauce. Coffee with sugarfree syrup, 3 diet sodas, a couple sticks of gum, and lots of water. Tomorrow I want to challenge myself & see if I can drink only water and eat meat/eggs without condiments.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas...I can't wait to start seeing my hard work pay off with weight loss.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: Stillman's for now
For those of you that have been doing Stillman's for awhile and are close to goal, could you share any tips/words of wisdom about your journey? Did you ever stall? Did you have cravings? Did you doubt that you could actually eat this way for weeks and months?

I aspire to lose the 40ish extra lbs I've been carrying around since puberty, and it seems that Stillman's is the only way I'll be able to do that. Any advice/tips from the big losers would be most appreciated!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #323
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh yeah i have dry skin with Stills. Water, water, water peeps---and I honestly think salmon is a miracle food. There's no comparison with my skin when ai eat it.
If you've heard of Dr.Perricone's diet then you'll know he loves salmon!! His diet is really my maintenance one!! Salmon, turkey, eggs, natural yoghurt, dark leafy veg, berries and sometimes Oatbran!!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #324
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm a firm believer in exercise too! (no really!) I don't really know if it stalls the numbers on the scale--I think though most people reckon it does a bit--if you use new muscles you'll retain water) but for toning and losing weight 'better' and definitely for maintaining it's non negotiable. Dieting alone will make you 'skinny fat', a smaller version of yourself but with the same lumps and bumps--ok low carb to a much lesser extent.
But if you're exercising, even though you may be stalling on the scale you.ll be burning fat and building muscle.
I do Insanity, bar Method, Callan and Pilates. I workout generally for about 1.5-2 hrs a day most days, though that really depends on how busy I am!! And for me cardio really dadens my appetite-I've read that's not the case for lots of people though!!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: Reached Goal!
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 28th May 2010
Quote:
Ok girls---the turkey diet, the fish diet, the chicken diet, the whatever else diet you girls are thinking of---they are all Stillmans, pure and simple.
Stillmans is a nearly zero carb, protein only plan. The less you eat, the less you vere from the plan, the more you lose--simple. It doesn't matter if you eat 2 turkey burgers, 2 salmon fillets, 2 cans of tuna---it's still Stillmans.
I'm sorry if this is sounding harsh but really you're all making a huge deal of it-cycling 3 days with this and 2 days with the other. You're overthinking it way too much.
Eat protein only and you will lose-fast. You won't go into starvation mode because you are in ketosis-that is fat burning and muscle preserving.
It's not rocket science peeps--and it doesn't need to be tweaked. The science proves it works!!
Just saw this!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
I'm still hanging in there. After 9 days of pure Stillman's we were ready for a break, so we had Atkins-lush meal for dinner last night (Ribeye steaks, salad, blueberries w/cream.) We did eat Stillman's all day up until dinner time. We thought about going out to eat, but honestly, it just seems like everytime we go out there's "hidden carbs" and we end up gaining several lbs. for a day or two even when we thought we ate really clean. So we ate at home, and had complete control of every carb we ate. I'd much rather choose to consume carbs like fresh blueberries, than accidentally eat added carbs because the restaurant puts sugar in the salad dressing, or uses sugar-rub for the steak seasoning

Well, the cooking-at-home seemed to be a good plan, because even with all that fat in that loverly-marbeled steak, as well as the large quantity of food, I was only up .6 lbs this morning...way better than I would have done with a restaurant meal. I suspect that .6 will disappear today as I'm back on pure Stillman's today with my HB eggs for breakfast, and chicken breast for lunch.

I was afraid I'd have a hard time going back to Stillman's this morning...I even really debated whether or not to get on the scale this morning. But I just decided it was important to KNOW what eating one high fat Atkins meal would do (total carbs for the day was still under 25 net.) And it was actually a relief to see such a small "gain"...which I'm fairly certain will just be eliminated today, KWIM.

So back to my yummy (ha ha) chicken breast, turkey burgers, lean gr. beef, etc. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Enjoy your foods if you're cycling Atkins...and enjoy your losses if you're sticking with Stillman's.
Oh the hidden carbs thing when you are dining out drives me mad. Its like I ask quite clearly, is there any sugar in this or that and get told no only to find they did not know all the other names that sugar comes under... I really grill the staff/chef when I eat out and am on plan and I really don't care what they think of me. I believe if you are serving food you should absolutely know what is in it... its shocking how many times I have been told by a chef that something absolutely, definitely has no sugar only to find it has fructose, glucose or some other form of sugar. I am sure you all know the different names for sugar but this is helpful.50 Other Names for Sugar

Last edited by makemeslim; 06-11-2012 at 06:01 AM..
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Have not had time to read all the posts but WTG cheekyboo... 15lbs is marv!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Surgery that was planned for tomorrow has been cancelled and will now take place early July. Will have def reached goal by then. Thing is I am not weighing at the moment. I used to every day but I have found that I have way more success just going by my clothes and I suppose in a way that will put me in good stead when I get to maintenance. Anyway, I just bought these really cute super duper skinny cargo style trousers... I can get into them but it is not an attractive sight! I'm guessing when they fit well, I would have made it. GT, I keep checking for the gap... its coming! CC, how ya doing girl? Any great buys lately?

Last edited by makemeslim; 06-11-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm a firm believer in exercise too! (no really!) I don't really know if it stalls the numbers on the scale--I think though most people reckon it does a bit--if you use new muscles you'll retain water) but for toning and losing weight 'better' and definitely for maintaining it's non negotiable. Dieting alone will make you 'skinny fat', a smaller version of yourself but with the same lumps and bumps--ok low carb to a much lesser extent.
But if you're exercising, even though you may be stalling on the scale you.ll be burning fat and building muscle.
I do Insanity, bar Method, Callan and Pilates. I workout generally for about 1.5-2 hrs a day most days, though that really depends on how busy I am!! And for me cardio really dadens my appetite-I've read that's not the case for lots of people though!!
I so have to exercise! I'm just gonna start by walking more and build it from there. I am a bit old fashioned and like step... it really works for me... I might dig out my old videos later... don't think I could face clair N at the moment.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
For those of you that have been doing Stillman's for awhile and are close to goal, could you share any tips/words of wisdom about your journey? Did you ever stall? Did you have cravings? Did you doubt that you could actually eat this way for weeks and months?

I aspire to lose the 40ish extra lbs I've been carrying around since puberty, and it seems that Stillman's is the only way I'll be able to do that. Any advice/tips from the big losers would be most appreciated!
Gt is your girl...I've lost over 50lb and the only advice I can give is just keep at it... if you go off plan for a day a week a month come back and you WILL get there... just don't give up trying!
Closed Thread