Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #271
Junior LCF Member
 
majar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 22
Gallery: majar
Stats: 205/151/125
WOE: Stillman's, Atkins
Down to 148 this morning and psyched. Taking a relaxed Atkins day to hopefully jumpstart and might have some wine tonight, ate a cheese omelet with egg beaters and chicken burgers for lunch.

Will go strict on Stillman's Mon-Friday and weigh on Saturday, really want to be down to 144 by next Saturday if possible.
majar is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
I was looking at my weight loss log that I've been keeping and it looks like I lost the most frequently (at least 1 lb every other day, sometimes more) toward the end of May when I was eating an egg for breakfast every morning and then making low carb recipes that stick to Stillmans as much as possible (always meat, no veggies or fruits except maybe some onion or something, and never over 5 carbs). It doesn't really make sense scientifically but I wonder if eating 0 carbs stalls me. Maybe I need a couple carbs to lose. Plus eating breakfast seems to help kickstart my metabolism so maybe that's why the Fast Five wasn't very effective for me either. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me and I constantly change my mind about my methods. I think next week instead of just eating fish, I'll try mixing it up a little with low carb recipes again (including fish to see if it helps).
I read somewhere here is an excerpt from a fitness trainer that made me think of you .... Troy Taylor - NASM Elite Trainer answered:
Technically yes. This is due to simple math. A heavier person tends to have a higher metabolic rate. The higher your metabolic rate the more calories you need to maintain this weight. Therefore when you go into caloric deficit you have more of a range of options for calorie reduction. A person that needs 3000 calories per day to maintain their weight can without enormous difficulty cut 1000 calories out of their diet every day. This will produce a net of 2 lbs of fat loss per week. A different person with a metabolic rate of 1800 calories a day will find it far more difficult to go to 800 calories a day to match the other example. This of course is just a math example . I think it is more difficult for you at this point to lose weight because you are not overweight by overweight standards .... You are doing awesome by keeping a weight loss journal that may be very helpful for you to reach your goal weight .... Keeping notes of what you eat and how much you exercise , also the weigh ins are the key to finding your weight loss tactic .... Good Luck !
__________________
I'd rather be hated for who I am , Than loved for who I am not -Kurt Cobain Christine


Trick or treat ! No sweets ! Give me something Stillman's to eat !
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by majar View Post
Down to 148 this morning and psyched. Taking a relaxed Atkins day to hopefully jumpstart and might have some wine tonight, ate a cheese omelet with egg beaters and chicken burgers for lunch.

Will go strict on Stillman's Mon-Friday and weigh on Saturday, really want to be down to 144 by next Saturday if possible.
WTG !!!! O.o ahhhh yessss wine i love the vino and the late harvest too ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #274
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Getting there!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,182
Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickyboo View Post
Well, I'm impressed. One week on Stillman's and I'm down 15 lbs. So I'm one happy girl. Way to go to everyone else who's shedding weight. Enjoy your weekend!
Well so am I!!!!!!!!!!!!
Getting there!!! is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Getting there!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,182
Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Welcome back Milo!!! Looks like it's going well!!!
Getting there!!! is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennesee
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by majar View Post
Down to 148 this morning and psyched. Taking a relaxed Atkins day to hopefully jumpstart and might have some wine tonight, ate a cheese omelet with egg beaters and chicken burgers for lunch.

Will go strict on Stillman's Mon-Friday and weigh on Saturday, really want to be down to 144 by next Saturday if possible.
I just noticed that you have lost almost 60 pounds. That is really awesome.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennesee
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Mehh boyfriend was tired after coming home from a long week and talked me into ordering chinese food for dinner. I had a little bit and now I'm up 1 lb this morning. That's the furthest I've strayed from Stillmans since I started April 30th so I was hoping not to see much of a gain but considering that the rest of the weekend I was going to eat off plan, I feel bad about it now. If I wasn't so excited to cook both the meals I planned, I would not make Sunday an off day...but agh, I've been looking forward to it all week. Hopefully the damage won't be too bad come Monday.
Don't beat yourself up. Chinese is loaded with salt so the 1 lb gain is to be expected. It is all water retention. Enjoy your weekend off. Just don't go too crazy. Start back up Monday with renewed strength. I almost always bounce back in a few day after a couple of days off.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
I went to the library today and they have a cozy lil book shop and cafe .... I love coffee so I did an iced coffee espresso with half & half and Dolce sugar free vanilla it was all good till I looked up the carbs in half & half .... Oh, soooo I lived and it tasted good I need to talk the cafe into using straight up cream and then perfecto ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennesee
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I was planning on going bike riding with the boyfriend .... It seems my bicycle has lost air and the pump I own fits only standard valves and of course, my bicycle has a presta valve sweet .... And the only place that has it is the sports store at the mall .... Well, mall plus weekends and me, do not mix .... I will be doing extra walking today and this evening, after dinner .... This WOE to keep losing weight for me works best as I keep moving maybe my metabolism is just big pain in the xxx ! I will weigh myself on Tuesday and see if I am any closer to a new lower decade .... I plan on keeping the portions as near perfect .... As I did for breakfast low sodium bacon 2 strips not four, five .... 10 ha ! I love bacon .... I did as the pkg said 2 slices is a serving for one person oh, I was good I used only a tspn of butter to scramble my eggs I used to not bother measuring .... I think these little changes help, and as I teach my body to eat the proper servings. I will eventually be able to just walk it off ....
Those little changes are the huge ones to me. It is changing how you eat. If I compare my off days from a few years ago to the ones now, there is a HUGE difference. I am way more careful about what I eat. I think you learn a lot of lessons when you are losing weight. You have to reinvent the way you think about food.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennesee
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Welcome back Milo!!! Looks like it's going well!!!
I do not know how I missed just how much weight you have lost. HOLY COW!
I am only an inch taller than you and could not imagine being at 116. That is amazing.

Do you have a really tiny frame? I am curious because I really have no idea what I should weigh. I do know I am broad build. (thanks a lot mom) I feel like a line backer sometimes. 150 is what I am aiming for. I know that could change when I get there and decide it isn't small enough.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Oh, I plan on dropping 57 lbs to give myself some wiggle room .... but that is far into the future I am day to day for now .... or I stress !!!! I will keep going through my closet full of different sizes and work my way down to the smallest I own .... I will get there ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 171
Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I read somewhere here is an excerpt from a fitness trainer that made me think of you .... Troy Taylor - NASM Elite Trainer answered:
Technically yes. This is due to simple math. A heavier person tends to have a higher metabolic rate. The higher your metabolic rate the more calories you need to maintain this weight. Therefore when you go into caloric deficit you have more of a range of options for calorie reduction. A person that needs 3000 calories per day to maintain their weight can without enormous difficulty cut 1000 calories out of their diet every day. This will produce a net of 2 lbs of fat loss per week. A different person with a metabolic rate of 1800 calories a day will find it far more difficult to go to 800 calories a day to match the other example. This of course is just a math example . I think it is more difficult for you at this point to lose weight because you are not overweight by overweight standards .... You are doing awesome by keeping a weight loss journal that may be very helpful for you to reach your goal weight .... Keeping notes of what you eat and how much you exercise , also the weigh ins are the key to finding your weight loss tactic .... Good Luck !
Yeahh, it makes sense. I mean, technically according to the BMI I'm still a few lbs overweight...the highest weight you can be at 5'4 with a "healthy" BMI is 145 lbs. But I'm sure that's part of it. I'm just impatient. lol But the journal has been helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Don't beat yourself up. Chinese is loaded with salt so the 1 lb gain is to be expected. It is all water retention. Enjoy your weekend off. Just don't go too crazy. Start back up Monday with renewed strength. I almost always bounce back in a few day after a couple of days off.
I didn't even really consider the salt content, I was more worried about the carb count but you're right! I wish I wasn't so addicted to the scale, otherwise I'd just wait to weigh myself on Tuesday. hah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Those little changes are the huge ones to me. It is changing how you eat. If I compare my off days from a few years ago to the ones now, there is a HUGE difference. I am way more careful about what I eat. I think you learn a lot of lessons when you are losing weight. You have to reinvent the way you think about food.
This is so true. Well, even as someone who hasn't dieted before or never really payed attention to the nutrition of what I was eating, I've learned A LOT about food. That's probably one of the best things I'll take away from doing this diet. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat the same way again, and that's probably a very good thing.
littlelavender is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #283
Major LCF Poster!
 
BrattyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennesee
Posts: 1,036
Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
Oh, I plan on dropping 57 lbs to give myself some wiggle room .... but that is far into the future I am day to day for now .... or I stress !!!! I will keep going through my closet full of different sizes and work my way down to the smallest I own .... I will get there ....
I hear you. It is definitely day by day. When I stated losing weight at my highest, I had 83 pounds to lose. That number shook me so bad I almost just accepted being fat forever. Surely I could not do that...Now I know I can, some day I will be 150. Sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelavender View Post
Well, even as someone who hasn't dieted before or never really payed attention to the nutrition of what I was eating, I've learned A LOT about food. That's probably one of the best things I'll take away from doing this diet. I don't think I'll ever be able to eat the same way again, and that's probably a very good thing.
I love knowing what I do about food now. When I started losing weight and really looking at the stuff I was shocked I did not weigh 200 pounds more than I did.
BrattyS is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member
 
Shreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east coast
Posts: 430
Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
just wanted to post a quick hello and say thanks for all the posts. i'm at my goal and it happened very quickly. i had 3 pounds to loose, which may not sound like such a big deal, but i had been doing atkins very very strict since january and had no success at all with those 3 pounds. i would go down and then overnight shoot right back up 3 pounds. over and over, became so frustrating. after coming to this site and eating stillmans with all of you, weight dropped fast, like in a couple weeks and it's staying off. i had yogurt today, i little too much--but am sure i will not be up in pounds tomorrow morning. thanks everyone for all the wonderful advise. i pop into my old atkins string and they are all still trying to loose those last few with no success at all. i think atkins does not work for that last 10 and even sometimes that last 15 pounds. i told them i went low fat, higher protein, and low carbs. i don't think anyone will take my advise though.
Shreem is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #285
Junior LCF Member
 
majar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 22
Gallery: majar
Stats: 205/151/125
WOE: Stillman's, Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I just noticed that you have lost almost 60 pounds. That is really awesome.
Thanks brattys! It came in shifts as I would come home from the summer for school. I am finnnnnaaalllly down to the last 23 pounds and I have never ever been this low. This is the first time I have been active and in a forum and the girls are aaaaammmmaaaazing at telling me what I should do and just writing awesome inspiring posts.
majar is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member
 
milo_juniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: east coast
Posts: 132
Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: No flour no sugar
Today I was busy running errands and around dinnertime noticed that I hadn't eaten all day. So I considered fasting until I started to feel woozy, and I knew I had to eat something ASAP. Walked over to the Greek cafe, and while I didn't have the strictest meal, I don't think I did too bad. I ordered a gyro salad which came with greens, gyro meat, feta, and a few pickled peppers. I had them hold the olives and tzaki sauce and dressed the salad with vinegar and lemon. So there might have been hidden sugars and some fat in the gyro meat (a combination of seasoned beef and lamb) and there was definitely fat in the feta (but it was only about 2T worth), but I did stick to meat and a little veg, so I'm fine with it.

I'm thinking tomorrow will be an eggs only day...

Q: Is anyone drinking diet sodas? I've never really been much of a soda drinker, but I've found myself drinking 2-3 a day (in addition to a lot of water). Ideally I would just drink water, but the sodas do feel like a nice treat that helps me stay on plan. I'd be willing to have soda free days a couple times a week, but I don't think I could be soda free the whole time (unless someone tells me they noticed they lost weight faster by abstaining from it).

Q: Is anyone else chewing/avoiding gum? I work at a bar, and I don't smoke, plus I'm not drinking at all while I'm on Stillman's, so drinking diet soda and chewing sugarfree gum have been my savior while my coworkers are smoking and drinking after our shift.
milo_juniper is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
just wanted to post a quick hello and say thanks for all the posts. i'm at my goal and it happened very quickly. i had 3 pounds to loose, which may not sound like such a big deal, but i had been doing atkins very very strict since january and had no success at all with those 3 pounds. i would go down and then overnight shoot right back up 3 pounds. over and over, became so frustrating. after coming to this site and eating stillmans with all of you, weight dropped fast, like in a couple weeks and it's staying off. i had yogurt today, i little too much--but am sure i will not be up in pounds tomorrow morning. thanks everyone for all the wonderful advise. i pop into my old atkins string and they are all still trying to loose those last few with no success at all. i think atkins does not work for that last 10 and even sometimes that last 15 pounds. i told them i went low fat, higher protein, and low carbs. i don't think anyone will take my advise though.
Thank you for sharing your successful weight loss achievement !!!!
I hope I do not see you here anymore other than to just say hi ! because then it could only mean you successfully kept the weight off ! Congratulations !!!!
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
Today I was busy running errands and around dinnertime noticed that I hadn't eaten all day. So I considered fasting until I started to feel woozy, and I knew I had to eat something ASAP. Walked over to the Greek cafe, and while I didn't have the strictest meal, I don't think I did too bad. I ordered a gyro salad which came with greens, gyro meat, feta, and a few pickled peppers. I had them hold the olives and tzaki sauce and dressed the salad with vinegar and lemon. So there might have been hidden sugars and some fat in the gyro meat (a combination of seasoned beef and lamb) and there was definitely fat in the feta (but it was only about 2T worth), but I did stick to meat and a little veg, so I'm fine with it.

I'm thinking tomorrow will be an eggs only day...

Q: Is anyone drinking diet sodas? I've never really been much of a soda drinker, but I've found myself drinking 2-3 a day (in addition to a lot of water). Ideally I would just drink water, but the sodas do feel like a nice treat that helps me stay on plan. I'd be willing to have soda free days a couple times a week, but I don't think I could be soda free the whole time (unless someone tells me they noticed they lost weight faster by abstaining from it).

Q: Is anyone else chewing/avoiding gum? I work at a bar, and I don't smoke, plus I'm not drinking at all while I'm on Stillman's, so drinking diet soda and chewing sugarfree gum have been my savior while my coworkers are smoking and drinking after our shift.

I speak for myself diet soda did not stall me .... In fact I am a big fan of cannfields cherry chocolate fudge diet soda as a treat .... I am drinking more water so I have not treated myself in awhile .... I had no stalls chewing sugarless gum either .... or drinking espresso .... Each of us have a different story on what causes a stall .... I guess see if you do stall and then use the process of elimination of which may have caused it one by one .... I hope I was helpful and Good luck !!!!
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #289
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
tonites dessert was cannoli cream in a bowl .... ricotta cheese mixed smooth with polaner
sugarfree strawberry preserves .... tasty low carb ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member
 
milo_juniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: east coast
Posts: 132
Gallery: milo_juniper
Stats: 150's/117g (5'3")
WOE: No flour no sugar
So, after I posted, I ate some eggs and did some reading. Then, all of a sudden, I got this intense sugar craving & I couldn't think about anything else but eating something sweet. I thought about maybe going off plan & making myself some coconut bark or some other high fat low carb treat. But I didn't want to cave this early in the game. I opened the pantry & found a tin of sardines. Ate them, and the sugar craving quickly disappeared.

Substitute sweets with meats to keep cravings at bay! Hopefully lean meaty sources of protein will satisfy any future cravings I might have.
milo_juniper is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #291
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_juniper View Post
So, after I posted, I ate some eggs and did some reading. Then, all of a sudden, I got this intense sugar craving & I couldn't think about anything else but eating something sweet. I thought about maybe going off plan & making myself some coconut bark or some other high fat low carb treat. But I didn't want to cave this early in the game. I opened the pantry & found a tin of sardines. Ate them, and the sugar craving quickly disappeared.

Substitute sweets with meats to keep cravings at bay! Hopefully lean meaty sources of protein will satisfy any future cravings I might have.
That is good ! although I do not eat them , I heard that sardines are very healthy and high in calcium ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #292
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
I read this article and wanted to share with those of you who are close to your goal weight and like shreem who reached her goal weight yesterday , with the Stillmans QWL . Gooooo shreem !!!!


Getting Off Your Low-Carb Diet Without Gaining Weight
As predicted, many people are growing tired of low-carb diets because, like all diets, they have a low long-term success rate, offer little variety and — well, I guess people miss carbs. But the truth is that you can continue to lose weight, or maintain the weight you lost on your low-carb diet, if you follow a few simple rules.
PATIENCE
You're not going to lose weight as quickly when you go off your low-carb diet, and, in fact, you might actually gain a few pounds at first. "Don't freak out. When you start eating healthy carbs, you may gain some water weight, because some of the weight you originally lost was water, especially in the intro stages," says Samantha Heller, M.S., R.D., senior clinical nutritionist at New York University Medical Center in New York City.
How long do you have to give yourself to adjust? "Give it about three to four weeks," suggests Dawn Jackson, R.D., L.D., of Northwestern Memorial Wellness Institute and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.
DON'T GO WHITE
One of the biggest mistakes low-carb dieters make is going back to the white stuff. It's very easy to overindulge in empty-calorie foods, such as cookies, cakes, white bread, potatoes and pasta. "And white carbs are also convenient — too convenient! — available at every turn: in the vending machine, the open box in the pantry, as side orders in restaurants," explains nutritionist Molly Kimball, M.S., R.D., of the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans.
Instead, make sure your starchy carbs come from whole grains. "When you reintroduce carbs, the whole grains give you a more consistent release of energy, whereas eating foods with refined white flour or sugar may make you hungry sooner," says Heller. Whole grains have a high fiber content, which means you should feel full longer and get more food for fewer calories. "Fiber-rich foods are more satisfying and also lower in calories," adds Jackson. That means, in addition to whole grains, eat plenty of vegetables, which are also packed with fiber.
SUBSTITUTE
As you start adding carbs back into your diet, you'll probably need to trim calories from other areas by replacing higher-calorie, high-fat foods with lower-calorie, lower-fat foods you enjoy. For example, switch from full-fat to light salad dressing, regular to light mayo or from regular bacon to turkey bacon.
REVOKE YOUR LICENSE TO FILL
Just because you go off your low-carb diet doesn't mean you should go out and eat as much as you want of a food that's whole grain or considered "healthy." Even fruit can pile on calories if you eat enough of it — so steer clear of the "free food" mentality.
Be cautious — you might have a tendency to overeat all those foods you denied yourself for so long, not to mention that the increase in variety can also lead to overindulgence. And some high-carb foods have a lot of calories in a very small amount, "so even eating a small portion can add up," says Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., M.A., R.D., author of "Your Diet Is Driving Me Crazy" (Marlowe & Co., 2004).
FUHGEDDABOUTIT
The concept of "net carbs" is history. A food can be very low in carbs and very high in calories. It's time to start looking at how many calories are actually in the foods you're eating. And don't forget to check serving sizes, too. The calories in a single serving might be low, but if you eat the whole bag or package, well, the weight's going to come right back.
PUMP UP THE VOLUME
One of the biggest advantages of your low-carb diet was eating as much protein and fat as you wanted. Well, those days are over, but you can still try to find foods that are low in calories but high in volume. In fact, Barbara Rolls, a professor of nutrition at Penn State University, wrote an entire book, "The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan," on the topic of eating large volumes of food. All foods have a certain number of calories within a given amount (volume). Some foods, like desserts, have many calories in just a small portion, while others allow you larger portions for fewer calories. In order to feel full and still lose or maintain weight, you'll need to eat foods that "look large" and fill you up but are low in calories by volume, especially those that are high in water and/or fiber, such as soups, vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
DON'T FALL BACK
You have your entire life to diet, so don't go cold turkey — try phasing out your low-carb diet gradually, so you don't jump right back into your old eating habits. "If you were eating three pieces of bacon and three eggs, you might want to cut out a piece of bacon, and add a piece of whole-wheat toast," recommends Jackson. And remember, not every one of your low-carb foods has to go. Many of them are also low in calories, and if you were already using them to replace higher-calorie foods you had been eating — don't go backward.
CHANGE YOUR MIND
Don't worry about carbs being the enemy and leading you away from the holy grail of ketosis. According to Kimball, "Ketosis isn't even necessary to lose body fat. If it were, no one would've lost body fat with low-fat diets or on Weight Watchers or Slim-Fast! In fact, if you look at the Atkins Web site under FAQs, it states that it's not necessary to be in ketosis as long as you're losing weight."
DO FAT RIGHT
Just because you're off the low-carb diet doesn't mean you should eliminate all fats. Be sure to include healthy fats like nuts, peanut butter, avocado and olive and canola oils, and limit saturated fats, butter, cheese and whole milk. Portion control is still essential, however, since all fats — even the "good ones" — are high in calories.
STAY LEAN WITH PROTEIN
Protein is still a nutrient that fills you up and keeps you satisfied. In fact, some research has demonstrated that protein can make you feel full longer than other nutrients. Even so, protein contains calories and oftentimes carries fat with it. So keep protein in your diet, but make sure it's lean — for example, chicken breast without the skin or nonfat dairy products.
BECOME ACTIVE
A low-carb diet can sap you of energy, especially in the beginning. Because carbs boost energy, reducing or eliminating them can make people feel fatigued and less likely to exercise. There's a good chance that you will have more energy as a result of getting off your low-carb diet. And if you have more energy, you should try to move more.
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #293
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Tomorrow is back on plan, I am looking forward to it .... Having healthy low carb off plan meals for the weekend is definitely yummy , I cannot help missing getting back on the losing streak though .... Today's brunch is fiesta Italiano an egg crepe filled with two thin slices of tomatoes , mozzarella cheese and chopped fresh basil garnish and espresso .... Dinner is low carb shrimp fra diavlo and homemade cauliflower rice on the side .... I never thought I would like cauliflower, now I use it to sub in for potatoes , pasta and rice .... Every yummy meal in moderation for me, I do not want to go starving myself to lose weight ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #294
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Getting there!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,182
Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
I do not know how I missed just how much weight you have lost. HOLY COW!
I am only an inch taller than you and could not imagine being at 116. That is amazing.

Do you have a really tiny frame? I am curious because I really have no idea what I should weigh. I do know I am broad build. (thanks a lot mom) I feel like a line backer sometimes. 150 is what I am aiming for. I know that could change when I get there and decide it isn't small enough.
Aw thanks!! But I'm def not 116 anymore---more like 120-122----I do tell myself it's muscle, but I'm thinking no not really!! Mmmm maybe I should change my stats!
I don't have a tiny frame, I'd say I'm average. I do have narrow wrists and fingers, but then I have a broad enough back.
The good old Dr Stillman didn't believe that people were 'big-boned', and in a way I'm inclined to believe him. I think a lot of us say that when we're overweight--oh I'd never get down to a size x, I just don't have the bone structure etc. --but I thought that too, i thought a 6-8 would be as far as I could go. I think the more fat that comes off, the more fine-featured a person begins to look.
__________________

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Getting there!!! is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member
 
Angelstill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster, P.a
Posts: 659
Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Aw thanks!! But I'm def not 116 anymore---more like 120-122----I do tell myself it's muscle, but I'm thinking no not really!! Mmmm maybe I should change my stats!
I don't have a tiny frame, I'd say I'm average. I do have narrow wrists and fingers, but then I have a broad enough back.
The good old Dr Stillman didn't believe that people were 'big-boned', and in a way I'm inclined to believe him. I think a lot of us say that when we're overweight--oh I'd never get down to a size x, I just don't have the bone structure etc. --but I thought that too, i thought a 6-8 would be as far as I could go. I think the more fat that comes off, the more fine-featured a person begins to look.
120-122- I could only imagine seeing those digits on my scale !!!! I would be floored ....
Angelstill is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #296
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 171
Gallery: littlelavender
Stats: 170/127.6/120, 5'4"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 4/30/12 // Restart 3/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
I read this article and wanted to share with those of you who are close to your goal weight and like shreem who reached her goal weight yesterday , with the Stillmans QWL . Gooooo shreem !!!!


Getting Off Your Low-Carb Diet Without Gaining Weight
As predicted, many people are growing tired of low-carb diets because, like all diets, they have a low long-term success rate, offer little variety and — well, I guess people miss carbs. But the truth is that you can continue to lose weight, or maintain the weight you lost on your low-carb diet, if you follow a few simple rules.
Great article, thanks for sharing!
littlelavender is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,919
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hi GT, MMS, and everyone

sounds like a gr8 weekend is had by all YAY!




I did the marinate chik breasts in italian dressing thing then grilled them, they are delish but I'm tasting sugar in the fat free dressing so next time will make my own from scratch.


LC not a long term success????? I'll bet Sugar Free Sheila and GT would disagree........
CCGirl is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,919
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Aw thanks!! But I'm def not 116 anymore---more like 120-122----I do tell myself it's muscle, but I'm thinking no not really!! Mmmm maybe I should change my stats!
I don't have a tiny frame, I'd say I'm average. I do have narrow wrists and fingers, but then I have a broad enough back.
The good old Dr Stillman didn't believe that people were 'big-boned', and in a way I'm inclined to believe him. I think a lot of us say that when we're overweight--oh I'd never get down to a size x, I just don't have the bone structure etc. --but I thought that too, i thought a 6-8 would be as far as I could go. I think the more fat that comes off, the more fine-featured a person begins to look.
O GT I def have to agree with you, for years I was going with the BB theory......thank you Lord for Dr. Stillman....the only big bone here is my head
CCGirl is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,919
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Lewis Hamilton has just won the F1 Montreal race BTW.......love him!
CCGirl is offline  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,919
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
A Cajun Family's Recipe Collection


Cajun Country -- New Iberia, Louisiana
CCGirl is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.