Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SillyErin
Stats: 198/139/127
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 5/16/12
Lavender - That was so uplifting to read that, I bet youre such a great friend to have!! Its nice to know there are still people like you in this world
I know what you mean about standing on the sidelines and watching all the happy skinny go by. I grew up very overweight, and only into my early 20's did I realize I COULD DO IT, TOO! My story is very much the "ugly duckling" cliche. I'm learning now that I'm okay and worthy the way I am - very hard to actually live it - but I'm getting there.

Phase - Thats horrible to hear! I've always been afraid of birth control because of reasons like that! A 40 pound gain with no effort on my part is frustration I'd never want to feel. Weight is always adjustable, and never permanent - so at least youre equiped with the valuable knowledge (like you said). The insulin resistance though - how permanent is that? When the shot has expired (forgive me, Im ignorant in that area - are they once every 3 or 6 months?) will the insulin troubles subside?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Erin I'm not sure. The shot is given every 3 months. I can't even say I'm insulin resistant either for sure. I just know before taking it I could eat carbs in moderation.. my skin sucked but not my waistline so much. I've been looking into the side effects since hearing about the cancer lawsuit and there's a whole list of effects they've added since I first got the shot. I've been done with it for over two years now but it took a few months for my weight to quit climbing and over half a year for my mood swings and depression to go away. It's stored in fat and tissue so they're not sure how long side effects can last.. some women don't have periods for years after they quit it. Mostly I'm angry over it because I feel my doctor mislead me and now it's nice to hear the medical community owning up to some of the terrible side effects that shot causes.

CARBOHYDRATE AND LIPID METABOLIC EFFECTS
Oral contraceptives have been shown to cause a decrease in glucose tolerance in a significant percentage of users (17). Oral contraceptives containing greater than 75 micrograms of estrogen cause hyperinsulinism, while lower doses of estrogen cause less glucose intolerance (65). Progestogens increase insulin secretion and create insulin resistance, this effect varying with different progestational agents (17,66). However, in the non-diabetic woman, oral contraceptives appear to have no effect on fasting blood glucose (67). Because of these demonstrated effects, prediabetic and diabetic women should be carefully monitored while taking oral contraceptives.
A small proportion of women will have persistent hypertriglyceridemia while on the pill. As discussed earlier (see WARNINGS 1.a. and 1.d.), changes in serum triglycerides and lipoprotein levels have been reported in oral contraceptive users.

Last edited by Phase; 05-17-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: purekitten
Stats: 141/130.8/100 5'2"
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 5/16/2012
Thanks the warm welcome everyone! I'm excited !
Yeah, birth control is notorious for causing weight gain. In general, for women, anything that drastically changes your sex hormone levels are likely to cause weight gain, menopause and pregnancy are two other examples of that. Phase, I'm sorry to hear how that nurse blamed it on you, she is so wrong about that!
Im2, I had a similar realization as you! Personally, my triggers are as simple as seeing my typical binge food (I won't list them here as I don't want it to be triggering anyone to cheat) and what determines whether I succeed or fail is whether I walk away from the refrigerator or not. Seriously. If I walk back to my room and go on the computer, I forget about it altogether, but if I stay at the fridge too long, then I think to myself just this time (LOL as if that didn't happen like a million times already), and oh dear, I go off track.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Bratty, you WILL succeed, wow, those words sounded exactly like what I thought last May. I never thought I could succeed either, and honestly, when I did succeed for the first time, it felt beyond good. For the first time in my life, when I looked into the mirror, I felt great. My face was so much sharper, clothes no longer highlighted bulges, and best of all, my personality actually changed. I became more assertive in my own life, and (smiles) I even had the nerve to talk to some people of the opposite gender that I was interested in! It was great...so much more fun than hiding and binging in my room at 1 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

I agree we need to keep this a lifestyle, because the moments when you realize you gained weight are really such downer moments. Plus going off an on diets takes much more effort than just staying on track. It does take a lot of self control, but I find that being part of a supportive community really does re-energize my own willpower.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 238/227/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: November 10 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Bratty! I agree! I'm having the hubby get snipped, all the BC options for women suck balls. "Depo-Provera is also used with male sex offenders as a form of chemical castration as it has the effect of drastically reducing sex drive in males." Killing his sex drive would prolly be pretty effective as well.

Oh no no. That would not work for me. I am the one always begging for sex in this house.

I blame my weight gain on several things
1. Stopped smoking and started eating everything in site.
2. Hysterectomy
3. I turned 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purekitten View Post
Bratty, you WILL succeed, wow, those words sounded exactly like what I thought last May. I never thought I could succeed either, and honestly, when I did succeed for the first time, it felt beyond good. For the first time in my life, when I looked into the mirror, I felt great. My face was so much sharper, clothes no longer highlighted bulges, and best of all, my personality actually changed. I became more assertive in my own life, and (smiles) I even had the nerve to talk to some people of the opposite gender that I was interested in! It was great...so much more fun than hiding and binging in my room at 1 AM.
Thank you I think I will succeed this time. I am tired of trying to hide bulges.
I do not need to be more assertive, I think it would mortify my husband if I did.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

I think I just lost a pound just bathing my dogs. My 10 month old puppy, Hulk, is is close to 100 pounds. It is like trying to bathe a horse in my tub! My baby pittie is just a wiggle worm.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hey y'all, just a drive by, been super busy at work YAY and haven't even read email for days..............hugs all around!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hey pure welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and Erin!!!!!!!!!!!! welcome back!!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Oh no no. That would not work for me. I am the one always begging for sex in this house.

You have a puppy named Hulk?! How freakin cute is that!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #312
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstill View Post
ha ! was typing as you sent this in .... seriously you are a mind reader !!!!
Not really just a neurotic, food obsessed, inwardly skinny gal who enjoys a little wine every now and again!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

You have a puppy named Hulk?! How freakin cute is that!!!
Yeah, my son wanted to name him Batman but I refused to call that name all over the neighborhood. I allowed Hulk. I posted pictures not too long ago of him.

Him when he was 7 weeks old.

And the most recent of him at about 10 months.

Not so little anymore.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
hey y'all, just a drive by, been super busy at work YAY and haven't even read email for days..............hugs all around!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to see you drop by!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Thanks, CC. . Looking forward to conversing with you when you have time. . You always inspire me to keep going. .

Hugs right back atcha!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Silly! Good to hear from you again!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scary but I'm last in first on again! Do I need to get a life? I'm not complaining as long as I keep losing ! I'm back to stats. Yay me now is when I need to kick it up and I will. Mark my words I took a five mile bike ride with two complaining little boys last night but I rocked it out. We went to the golden arches and I slayed it! Went with a Plan and stuck to it. Very proud of myself indeed. Nothing feels better than being in control and I am confident that nothing will get in my weigh this weekend. I so have this . - do you?

Last edited by IM2fat; 05-18-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #318
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning! Congratulations on getting back to stats, IM! I am almost back to stats myself!

I have a funny story - Yesterday I wore my new walking shoes to the office. I've been lazy and feeding the parking meters close by my office. But yesterday I parked up the hill where the church has provided a space for me. (It is in the museum parking lot). Anyway, when I left the office I started up the hill and realized that I was going much too fast! It was like my new shoes were moving on their own! I had forgotten how good it feels to have proper shoes!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Bratty!! Your doggy is beautiful!! Ha! Batman would have been a great name! You could have gotten a bat signal and trained him to come when he saw it! I love Hulk though! I keep wanting to get another dog but I'm waiting until I move to a place where it'll be easier to take the beasts for walks.

IM Congrats on getting back to stats!

Mim that's hilarious! Good shoes are a must have. If my shoes fit weird I'll be cranky all day.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelstill
Stats: not even close to where I want to be
WOE: Stillman /Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/12
Back on plan !!!!

Today is day two and I lost a pound and a half I walked for an hour and a half after dinner and did gardening .... drank loads of water.... Awwww look at that adorable child with puppy Hulk and Hulk grewup fast ! My lil Lola is probably the size of what Hulk poops hee hee Pardon my mistakes from my phone .... Have a great day everyone !!!! going to plan today s menu .... Be back later ...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good morning! Congratulations on getting back to stats, IM! I am almost back to stats myself!

I have a funny story - Yesterday I wore my new walking shoes to the office. I've been lazy and feeding the parking meters close by my office. But yesterday I parked up the hill where the church has provided a space for me. (It is in the museum parking lot). Anyway, when I left the office I started up the hill and realized that I was going much too fast! It was like my new shoes were moving on their own! I had forgotten how good it feels to have proper shoes!
I hear you, MIM. . .I've been trying to squeeze in a walk on my lunch hour so I have a brand new pair of tennies under my desk. .problem is, when I get back.. I don't want to put my heels back on. . so I end up spending the afternoon in my comfy shoes and I get some strange looks from my co-workers.. Mind you, I'm a skirt gal ..
Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Today is day two and I lost a pound and a half I walked for an hour and a half after dinner and did gardening .... drank loads of water.... Awwww look at that adorable child with puppy Hulk and Hulk grewup fast ! My lil Lola is probably the size of what Hulk poops hee hee Pardon my mistakes from my phone .... Have a great day everyone !!!! going to plan today s menu .... Be back later ...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SillyErin
Stats: 198/139/127
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 5/16/12
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Yesterday was good for me - I had deli chicken meat, and some turkey burger with gluten-free taco seasoning.

I normally run 4 miles/5 days a weeks - but I've scaled back some due to (summer heat) as well as going easy on the adrenal glands.

Todays Plan:

Grilled Turkey Burger (totalling 12 oz throughout the day)
4 mile run

I'm going strict today as tomorrow we have a BBQ to attend. I'll be eating HIGHER fat (I'm be praying it doesnt trigger a low-carb binge - I HATE THOSE). Probably a burger patty and some deviled eggs - I love Hot Dogs even though theyre gross (I know this in reality) the sodium, the fat, and the additives in them - I'll stick away.

I'll also try tooth-n-nail to keep away from the pickles. I'll be in a bathing suit, so its easier cause I don't wanna be bloated.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Mim that's hilarious! Good shoes are a must have. If my shoes fit weird I'll be cranky all day.
my crankiness comes form ill-fitting bras (the worst!!!) and undies!!! Uggg. . can't wait until I can fit into my comfy ones!!! Whoever invented those skimpy little cutsey bras and undies should be shot. .(It was probably a man!)
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #325
Senior LCF Member

ha ! ha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
my crankiness comes form ill-fitting bras (the worst!!!) and undies!!! Uggg. . can't wait until I can fit into my comfy ones!!! Whoever invented those skimpy little cutsey bras and undies should be shot. .(It was probably a man!)
yessssssss !!!!! That is Victoria's Secret .... A man behind the name heeee heeee !!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Today's menu

2 hard boiled eggs my least favorite style but did it with some hot sauce to ease it down .... espresso .... water .... lunch low sodium turkey breast .... I hear opposing comments on whether or not mustard is acceptable on Stillman's QWL but I would like some on my turkey .... dinner bbq grilled chicken breast .... today I am going strict Stillman's QWL I want to get there .... I am tired of hiding behind sweats .... I hate that even pretty shoes donot look nice on me because of cankles even worse boots that do not zip up !!!! I will do it at least that is what I will keep repeating to myself I can do it !!!! till I believe it ....
Old 05-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Welcome and Welcome back !!!!

yayyyy !!!!! more friends here to help each other for support .... My name is Christine I hope that I may be helpful to as many as possible !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

me too !!!!

Quote:
Not really just a neurotic, food obsessed, inwardly skinny gal who enjoys a little wine every now and again!!!
yessss to Vino !!!! but I will have to be good .... I love the really sweet ones like ice wines loaded with carbs boo hoo !
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Down .4 today. 1.4 to go to get back to where I was.

Quote:
Scary but I'm last in first on again! Do I need to get a life? I'm not complaining as long as I keep losing !
I look at the board all the time. I just don't post unless someone else has. You are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I had forgotten how good it feels to have proper shoes!
I have a pair of sketchers shape ups that I bought last year. I plan to start my walks on Monday. I hope they do not kill my feet.

Quote:
Today is day two and I lost a pound and a half I walked for an hour and a half after dinner and did gardening .... drank loads of water....
Keep up the great work! I think I lost the same amount on day 2. I wish I lost that everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyErin View Post
Yesterday was good for me - I had deli chicken meat, and some turkey burger with gluten-free taco seasoning.
Ohhh I need to check out the taco seasoning. Does it have any carbs at all in it?

Courage isn't always a lion's roar. It is sometimes the heart at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".
Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ideas for Seasonings:

vinegar (I put mine in an I Can't Believe it's Butter spray bottle . works wonders . . I also do this with my Soy Sauce.

Mustard (No flavored or Honey mustard)
Hot Sauce
Salsa
Horseradish
Pesto
Broth
Worstershire
Some SF Salad Dressings. . (check the labels)

Just food for thought: While most vegetables contain carbs, there are certain vegetables like spinach, lettuce, celery, and bok choy which contain no carbs. Try and include at least one of these vegetables in your diet everyday.
Closed Thread