Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/322.2-next weigh in 4/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
Going to Start Stillmans QWL

Hi all, i am a pretty new member to low carb friends, the past month i have been on a low carb diet, with barely any success, roughly lost 2 pounds and even that jumps back up, and being over 300 pounds that just isn't acceptable..i really think i have a thyroid problem, but do to no income and no health insurance unable to get it checked, i have a crazy amount of symptoms according to the stop the thyroid madness website, and both of my dads sister and another female cousin all has thyroid problems, they got treated and lost a lot of weight,

I am giving myself a day or two of higher carb eating just because the past few days i have had zero energy (i just ate a lot of broccoli) i have slept more than i have been awake and the hours i have been awake can barely move feel like i am weighed down with lead, it is exhausting.

So I am going with the Stillmans QWL, my mom said she used to do this years ago, like 30 or 40 years ago and she literally would drop over 20 pounds a day, must of been a lot of water weight i imagine, and with the way my weight loss is going i will be happy with a couple pounds a week for now.

Is there anyone else doing the QWL version of stillmans, seems very hardcore and gonna be a nightmare to choke down boiled eggs with no mayo..but if it can make me lose it will be worth it.

so...if anyone else is doing this, please let me know..or direct me to a thread, the other stillman threads seem to be a different version and talks of veggies etc..that are not permitted on this one.

hope to hear from someone.
thanks for reading
my stats 32 yr old female, weight is around 319(try not to weigh too often due to the disappointment)
reptogirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hi and

I did the original Stillman's in 1969 when the book first came out! LOL. giving away my age, huh?

I was a freshman in high school and weighed 200 pounds. My brother was also overweight and asked if I wanted to stay with him for the summer after my freshman year and do Stillmans.

I did and so happy I did! I lost 55 pounds that summer. I kept it off all my life until I turned 50, seriously injured my back and then menopause hit at the same time. All those years if I gained 3-5 pounds, I would go back to hardcore Stillman QWL and would go right back down.

During menopause and being inactive due to the back problems, the weight just piled on and within 5 years I had gained a lot.

Do you have a copy of the book? If you can actually stick to it and get active the weight will literally fall off. But it's not very forgiving. You have to do it perfectly with no mess ups. After about a month you might be able to get away with a mess up or two and get back on the wagon.

Last summer I re-read the book and started doing Stillman's again. Then I heard about Dr. Dukan's book, "The Dukan Diet". I read it and thought "Hallelujah! he is a reincarnation of Dr. Stillman".

I started Dukan's Attack phase August 1st and lost 14 pounds in 10 days. There are a couple of great things about that book and if you could go to the library and get it, even while you are starting Stillman's plan, I think it will be beneficial.

First, he explains a lot about the "why it works" of High Protein, Low/no fat/ Low/no carb. He also gives the plan in more detail and includes fat free dairy for the first phase, which was a life saver for me.

After 10 days or so you start alternating non-starchy green veggies added in to your protein. Not every day. And NOT any starchy veggies. Just non-starchy.

You keep eating all you want of lean meats and all proteins on the list.

It's just that every two days you also eat as many green veggies as you want. You do that until you reach your goal weight.

And, you can decide whenever you want to do the pure protein days in a row. Like if you want to speed up the loss, you can have several days in a row of just doing protein.

The idea of adding in veggies has many reasons. Fiber to prevent constipation. Important nutrients for your brain so you don't have "brain fog", metabolism boosting powers so you will truly be burning fat and not muscle.

Anyway, I like to read so I really liked Dukan's book and felt it was a perfect compliment to Stillman. I still read both of them for motivation.

How much did your mom lose total when she did it 30 or 40 years ago?

I wish you great success. And, don't forget to drink your water!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

no i don't have the book, and the library didn't have it either. i have no idea how much she lost, she has been a yo yo dieter her whole life, but when she got pregnant with me she was only like 5 or 10 pounds away from her goal weight. thanks for the response!!! i haven't started it yet, something unexpected came up yesterday (friend came to stay a few days) and i got a part time job yesterday but i bought a new water jug with spout so i can measure my water and make sure i am at least getting the 80-100 . i will have to check for the dukan book at the library, or check on ebay. surely i can find one, mom said somewhere she had the little pamplet book of stillmans but who knows where!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Here is a link to amazon.com and they have some used copies. My old copy was totally falling apart. I went to amazon.com and bought a hard cover copy and it arrived in brand new condition.

Amazon.com: The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet: M.D. Irwin...Amazon.com: The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet: M.D. Irwin...
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 177/177/130
WOE: stillmans tweaked4me
Start Date: 12/29/2013
Hi,
I just noticed someone bumped the thread Stillmans by the book. That gives alot of info out of the book. The book also has a variety of other types of diets in it besides the main lowcarb one.

Be encouraged girl. You can do this! You can find the right diet and the pounds will just melt off. There is a Thyroid Thread on LCFs also that you may be able to get some tips on how to feel better naturally. There are alot of supplements that can help.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

today was my first day, i felt like i ate a lot of cottage cheese (fat free of course) but i guess that is okay, had a boiled egg, some boiled chicken, and some roast beef lunch meat (not even a serving) and some fat free cheese. oh and 102 ounces of water. yikes every 15 mins i feel like i am going to burst literally, went shopping tonight and had to hit the restroom up twice.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

yeah i am working on vitamins/supplements for thyroid based on an adele davis book that my mom swears by.

oh and got a copy of the stillman book ordered from amazon, can't wait to receive it!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

hey, how many carbs do you average on the qwl? umm mine was really high today with the fat free items...like 27 grams, did i totally screw up? i logged everything into my fitness pal and my calories were 1003, and carbs 27, maybe i shouldn't have unlimited cottage cheese although the diet said i could..so confused
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

okay down 4.2 the first day! that is over double what i lost on low carb in a month! yay stillmans
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
okay down 4.2 the first day! that is over double what i lost on low carb in a month! yay stillmans

Yeah! That's great!

About the carbs, we'll it sounds like your body doesn't mind that amount of carbs. Don't mess with success......
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

i was down another 1.2 so 5.6 total in 2 days yay. whenever i try to research stillmans on the internet people refer to it as a no carb diet, not low carb. which is just confusing since the fat free cottage cheese has a lot of carbs, have they changed the way they made fat free cottage cheese since the 60's? also the whole ketchup and cocktail sauce it doesn't say sugar free catsup (which i have never seen in a store-small town living) yesterday i did use some walden farm bbq sauce..guessing it is okay. says 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 calories, no gluten yadda yadaa ydadda

the only thing i like on this diet is the cottage cheese and i am going to try to limit it, embarrassing but i am one of those people that can sit down and eat a whole container at one time..on this diet i am stretching it out and a container last me day. lol

but im guessing if my carbs are high i am not going to get into ketosis (which i don't have stripes)

i am hoping the book will go into more detail-but truthfully i don't know if i could stay on this diet if i can't eat cottage cheese, it covers up the taste of nasty hard boiled egg. haha

so i am going to cut the amount of my cottage cheese and see what the scale shows tomorrow.

and omg!! i went to bed at 3am woke up at 5am and had to pee so bad i was in pain, which sucks when the restroom is on a different floor of the house, and i was so tired i was sick, trying to stumble downstairs and then back up again..yikes!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

oh..and another question i have..i saw where some one was talking about using cooking spray for stillmans, is that off limits for qwl? i would love to have some scrambled eggs instead of hard boiled.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

weight correction i am now down a total of 6 pounds in 2 days yay!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
weight correction i am now down a total of 6 pounds in 2 days yay!!!

OMG!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

reptogirl,
I know what you mean about the cottage cheese thing? But I do eat the 1 carb ketchup and I also have a couple of shaKes I get from called premier protein they are at Costco. only 3 carbs each and have 50 percent each of the calcium you need and 25 percent each of all the other vitamins. I like them also be cause they are whey based as opposed to soy. Soy isn't suppose to be so good for the thyroid.

Your doing really good right now. Maybe change it up as needed and just keep it going. I have the book and he does recommend that.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

okay i limited myself to one cup of cottage cheese today, my calories are under 800 for the day, i ate breakfast then wasn't hungry the rest of the day,finally ate around 10pm after i ate i got hungry..but nothing sounds appetizing well lets say nothing on plan sounds appetizing lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I love it when that happens!

Well Monday is my weigh in day. i'm not doing straigh Stillmans I've been trying a Judds low carb style. Well i really had a big Mega Calorie day that I've been recovering from. I must have eaten 3 days worth the food in just one. But I am really gonna take it as a lesson i don't want to repeat. My motivation is high again.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

i looked at some judd stuff last night, but right now i am doing good on this one and don't want to screw anything up. was down another 2.2 today for a total of 8.2 not bad for 3 days on plan especially when i think about the month of low carb where i lost 2 lbs or last year when i stayed on plan for 6 months tried low calorie and then switched to low carb, and neither one of them did much for me.

my only concern and it might be nothing but started this plan on friday, on saturday when i woke up my right hip hurt (now i have alot of back pain especially tom but it wasn't tom and it wasn't my back) and then sunday morning my right thigh joined in on hurting, and this morning when i woke up i had charley horses in my left foot, i am taking vitamins... i take 2 one a days, sea kelp, magnesium/calcium/something else, 2 different b's, our only c is chewable so i am skipping that, and when i get my first paycheck this wednesday for a big 8 hours of minimum wage pay i plan on getting keto sticks, pathothetic acid and probably some e..crap i think i just answered my own question...it is potassium i bet that i am lacking....that might be the other mineral that is in with the magnesium and calcium...

okay i am so tired too, i can't go a day without a nap, is it just because my body is losing so fast??

please post in here your weigh in results, and thanks for hanging out in here its so nice to have someone to talk to
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Hi reptogirl,
I'll bet your tiredness is the flutype symtoms some people get when just starting this type of plan. It should go away soon.

I've been bouncing around and need to just settle and be consistent. I've been bouncing between 165 and 170. I'll hang with you. Today is straight stillmans and aiming low for the Judd type of plan. For tomorrow I should aim for 1700 calories and no more than 50 carbs. Then next day back to straight stillman. I've really been floundering so far. But I'm giving Judds another week. We do need to keep up with our vitamins on this type of dieting.

Here's my eating plan today.
chicken broth and chicken and possibly an egg or two.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
Quote:
Hi all, i am a pretty new member to low carb friends, the past month i have been on a low carb diet, with barely any success, roughly lost 2 pounds and even that jumps back up, and being over 300 pounds that just isn't acceptable..i really think i have a thyroid problem, but do to no income and no health insurance unable to get it checked, i have a crazy amount of symptoms according to the stop the thyroid madness website, and both of my dads sister and another female cousin all has thyroid problems, they got treated and lost a lot of weight,

I am giving myself a day or two of higher carb eating just because the past few days i have had zero energy (i just ate a lot of broccoli) i have slept more than i have been awake and the hours i have been awake can barely move feel like i am weighed down with lead, it is exhausting.

So I am going with the Stillmans QWL, my mom said she used to do this years ago, like 30 or 40 years ago and she literally would drop over 20 pounds a day, must of been a lot of water weight i imagine, and with the way my weight loss is going i will be happy with a couple pounds a week for now.

Is there anyone else doing the QWL version of stillmans, seems very hardcore and gonna be a nightmare to choke down boiled eggs with no mayo..but if it can make me lose it will be worth it.

so...if anyone else is doing this, please let me know..or direct me to a thread, the other stillman threads seem to be a different version and talks of veggies etc..that are not permitted on this one.

hope to hear from someone.
thanks for reading
my stats 32 yr old female, weight is around 319(try not to weigh too often due to the disappointment)

reptogirl I saw your post on the welcome thread just now.

Did we met at that thread? I can't remember.

I am curious about what you ate on LC. Can I ask you to tell me some about it?
Thanks bunches,
Marylouise

ps. can I call you RTG?
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
Hi,
I just noticed someone bumped the thread Stillmans by the book. That gives alot of info out of the book. The book also has a variety of other types of diets in it besides the main lowcarb one.

Be encouraged girl. You can do this! You can find the right diet and the pounds will just melt off. There is a Thyroid Thread on LCFs also that you may be able to get some tips on how to feel better naturally. There are alot of supplements that can help.

Frances~

I am so happy to see you again. I have seen you several times on other threads. How are you doing? You know I have wondered what is the Stillman's diet?

I have lost over 100 pounds on LC. I did just VVLC in the first 9 or 10 months. I love this WOE. I never ate off plan from the plan I followed. I am still on the same plan I started on, but it has been bumped up to the next Phase. I was scared to death to get on OWL. After so many months and losing soooo much I was s scared eat on OWL would make me fail and start eating off plan. BUT it hasn't happened.

When I saw someone say that the carb count was high but they kept eating the higher carb but still was losing I was lurkin to see what kind of plan was put into motion

I corrected a sentence. It was all garbled up and made no sence...
I am also wondering what happened to keep repogirl from weight loss, on LC.. I guess I am just a nosy posy kind of girl......

Last edited by marylouise; 03-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: corrected sentence............................
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

i don't know what kept me from losing weight, i really don't..maybe too many calories.. the types of food i ate were meats-tuna, occasionally bacon, ground beef, sausage, eggs scrambled or omelet, cheese, if i went out to eat with friends i would get a bunless burger, or a salad(only time i would ever eat salad-and then make sure there were no croutons or fake bacon bits, and would only use dressing sparingly, only used mayo, mustard, and some walden farms zero carb, zero calorie, zero everything sauce. i was eating very low carb, the last week or so i was on it i tried upping my fat..no help there

maybe i just didn't drink enough water..anyways i am glad to find something that is working right now. pretty sure i am in ketosis bc i made myself eat before i went to work for a few hours and then it wasn't much and still not hungry

sure call me whatever is easy , im not picky
Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
i don't know what kept me from losing weight, i really don't..maybe too many calories.. the types of food i ate were meats-tuna, occasionally bacon, ground beef, sausage, eggs scrambled or omelet, cheese, if i went out to eat with friends i would get a bunless burger, or a salad(only time i would ever eat salad-and then make sure there were no croutons or fake bacon bits, and would only use dressing sparingly, only used mayo, mustard, and some walden farms zero carb, zero calorie, zero everything sauce. i was eating very low carb, the last week or so i was on it i tried upping my fat..no help there

maybe i just didn't drink enough water..anyways i am glad to find something that is working right now. pretty sure i am in ketosis bc i made myself eat before i went to work for a few hours and then it wasn't much and still not hungry

sure call me whatever is easy , im not picky

I know one real good way to tell if you are in Ketosis. Do you have diets breath??

I try to drink some water here and there...

I'm gona go get something. I be back....
Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

JUST IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND~~~

THIS IS HOW I LOST 100 POUNDS SINCE MARCH 2011
ON THIS DIET YOU MUST TAKE A MULTIPLE VITAMIN AND MINERAL CAPSULE!

FOODS:

Meat (except liver and liver sausage)
Fish (except wine sauce herring)
Seafood (except oysters)
Poultry (nothing to be breaded or floured,
No BBQ sauce or catsup)
Eggs (fixed any way)
Natural Cheese (with wax around)
(No cottage cheese, processed or yogurt)
Butter
Fat
Salt/Pepper and other seasonings/read very carefully, look 4 hidden sugar.
Artificial Sweetners
Mustard & Horseradish
Mayonnaise * I am going to make my own.
Sour Cream Dressing *
Low Calorie Dressing * w/no sugar
Mushrooms (1T)
Beef or Chicken boullion broth
(No other soups)

*These items contain 2 cal. Of sugar per Tablespoon – DO NOT use excessively
** If desired as often as listed

Fried Pork Rinds (can be used as breading)
Sugar Free Gum (NO sugar free candy or other dietetic foods)
Cool Whip topping *
D-Zerta Jello and D-Zerta topping
Plain Knox Gelatin and sugar free kool-aid (mix together to make jello)
1C of lettuce (twice a day) **
NO OTHER VEGETABLES
NO FRUIT

BEVERAGES

Water (1/2 your weight in oz.)
Sugar Free Soda
Sugar Free Kool-Aid
Black Coffee and tea
Hard Liquor: (NO wine except dry vermouth, NO apricot brandy, drambouye, Southern Comfort, Liquorers)
NO regular beer
Lite Beer OK – Micholob Lite or Miller Lite

This is my handbook/with the 72' book

Can you print this off? If for whatever reason the Stillmans does not agree with you give this a try. It was my WOE to rid myself of over 100 pounds~~

RTG I will help you any way I can if I can....Sometimes it seems hopeless but it is doable....

I am almost 61. I thought I could not lose again. Been yo~yo since I was 12...

BUT I did lose again. This is my LAST TIME!!! I am gona stay stuck THIS TIME!!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

trying to sniff of my breathe lol, not really smelling anything but i guess that doesn't really mean anything. mouth is dry, and taste funny, kinda just taste heavy

i know stillmans qwl isn't long term, ordered the book on friday from amazon, hope it gets here soon, so i can read his other diets etc......
Old 03-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I must add here that someone told me this is not Dr. Atkins plan. Well I used the very same plan that he put in mags. in 1976 or 77. I lost 17 pounds the first 2 weeks eating like this.....IT is doable........
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
trying to sniff of my breathe lol, not really smelling anything but i guess that doesn't really mean anything. mouth is dry, and taste funny, kinda just taste heavy

i know stillmans qwl isn't long term, ordered the book on friday from amazon, hope it gets here soon, so i can read his other diets etc......
RTG~ YOU will know for real sure if you are spitting out ketones. You want be able to stand your self ..Sugar free gum helps with the smell.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

wow marylouise first off congrats on the 100 pounds that is amazing!!!! and thank you for sharing your plan i imagine when i cant handle stillmans anymore, i will try low carb again and maybe better luck next time, waiting to see what other diets are in stillmans book to switch things up, i really don't like fruit too much so i don't miss it, but i do like veggies-especially the green kind like brussell sprouts and broccoli yum and i would love to have a huge salad right about now..okay i am making myself hungry haha
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi RTG~ Thanks I feel tons better. I missed veggies when I first started. You must make sure to not deviate from the plan. Regardless of how you decide to eat. The WOE you chose has to be suited to your life style, place you live, who you live with. Things like that matter sometimes when one is working on carving out a new way of eating.

Can you tell me a little about yourself. I am not trying to be nosy. I just want to help, if I can.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

im not quite for sure what to say, 32 yr old from east central indiana, weight is at 316, and i am 5'4 which makes me look wider than taller..ugh! what else would you like to know?