Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
yes i got the right book, what i am saying is everything in the book about the qwl is already online the same thing that i have been following, so i actually didn't learn anything new about the diet.

yes i love the wording. can't believe he said fatties so stinking funny, also about an over active fork LOL!!!!!
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

oh yes i finally got my potassium yesterday, any recommendations on how much i should take? i know too much is deadly also, also got some b complex, along with the other junk i take i should be good...i hope
Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

can i just say again, how i love that i rarely get hungry on this diet..like today i have had maybe 4 or 5 oz of chicken and almost 3 liters of water..i will eat something else here in the next hour or so bc i feel my stomach wanting something, but i don't really have the desire to eat. yay my fork has not been overactive!!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

okay so i screwed up bad tonight. i think it is just frustration..i ate bad things, things that i wish wasn't in our house, but living with other people nothing you can do about it, now they are all gone because i ate them all, pathetic i know. a new day starts in 9 minutes and i will be back on plan..by the way my stomach hurts and pretty mad at myself.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 186/178/130
WOE: medifast/Atkins
Start Date: June 11th 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
I'm gaining the past couple of days after plateauing the few days prior, just started TOM yesterday so I'm hoping that's it and it'll magically go away after, but I thought the weight gain was the week before, not during! So it's getting a bit scary here. 149 to 151 past couple of days.
How are you doing now Marge. Hang in there, Aunt Flow is just a bummer, but she is not real weight gain.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptogirl View Post
okay so i screwed up bad tonight. i think it is just frustration..i ate bad things, things that i wish wasn't in our house, but living with other people nothing you can do about it, now they are all gone because i ate them all, pathetic i know. a new day starts in 9 minutes and i will be back on plan..by the way my stomach hurts and pretty mad at myself.
Ok this is your chance to do a mini Judd and eat really low tomorrow and I'll bet you won't see a big difference in your scale. You will recover quick. I'm talking like eat a great, clean stilly day and at about 500 to 800 calories and it won't be bad at all.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krise125 View Post
reptogirl - Congrats on your weight loss. I hope I do as well at the end of my first week. Keep going!!!! This could be fun!
Hi Krise,
are you doing stillmans,,,,or something along that line.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

i do well to eat 500 calories a day, okay explain this one i had 3 huge donuts, and i mean huge ones from a local donut shop, and i woke up to a 1.2 pound loss also my new low in this plan. lol...i just don't get it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

great! just do one of those 500 calories day and all is well. I can't explain it, but maybe your body was trying to hang on to some fat because it paniced when you were'nt eating and when you ate like normal it relaxed and said ok, we aren't starving and let go of the pounds....In other words you tricked it!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #100
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Repto: Listen to Frances! She is exactly right. I'm JUDDing, too.

I think where most people screw themselves up on Stillmans or any LC diet is that if they mess up one day, they give up, the carb cravings are back and a one day or one meal binge turns into a one week and then one month binge!! Day after day of eating off plan!!!

Don't do it! The JUDD way is that after a high calorie day you have a very low or no calorie day.

And yes, I agree that your body may have been hanging on to extra water and some fat because of so many consecutive days of low calorie plus low carb.

I think you also have been at TOM and maybe your body is letting go of some fluid retention and bloating from that as well.

Go low calorie/ pure lean protein today. Drink lots and lots of water and tea. You have not derailed or done any damage as long as you don't do that every day.

That's where Stillman was wrong. There just was not back up science and research back in the 60's to prove it. But now we have it and your fine.

What's that saying about climbing a hill? If you are trying to climb to the top of steep hill that's covered in sand you are going to slip every now and then. One slip does not mean you are going to roll down the hill and undo all the progress you have made. The hill is still their waiting for you. This is one slip and you can continue to climb towards the top. the view from up there is amazing by the way!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Yikes! I have a lot of typos and misspelled words! I'm at a hotel and this weird IP keeps logging me out every time I post. Then when I try to edit it just won't let me. It must be the hotel's security software or something.

Sorry about the typos!!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

yeah i am going to shove some cottage cheese in my mouth before i go to work. really not hungry
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Repto: Listen to Frances! She is exactly right. I'm JUDDing, too.

I think where most people screw themselves up on Stillmans or any LC diet is that if they mess up one day, they give up, the carb cravings are back and a one day or one meal binge turns into a one week and then one month binge!! Day after day of eating off plan!!!

Don't do it! The JUDD way is that after a high calorie day you have a very low or no calorie day.

And yes, I agree that your body may have been hanging on to extra water and some fat because of so many consecutive days of low calorie plus low carb.

I think you also have been at TOM and maybe your body is letting go of some fluid retention and bloating from that as well.

Go low calorie/ pure lean protein today. Drink lots and lots of water and tea. You have not derailed or done any damage as long as you don't do that every day.

That's where Stillman was wrong. There just was not back up science and research back in the 60's to prove it. But now we have it and your fine.

What's that saying about climbing a hill? If you are trying to climb to the top of steep hill that's covered in sand you are going to slip every now and then. One slip does not mean you are going to roll down the hill and undo all the progress you have made. The hill is still their waiting for you. This is one slip and you can continue to climb towards the top. the view from up there is amazing by the way!!!
Yes! Yes! and Yes AgainAlso, i am trying to keep my updays lowcarb just because that is working better for me. But this whole concepts allows for other foods, which is so great, because I get meat fatigue sometimes and that makes me want to quit. Granted i do love meat, but pizza is the only food I've never gotten sick of.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

yeah i kinda figured i haven't been getting enough calories, my first two days i was right around 1000 and then after that it dropped dramatically, today i hate to admit it, i have had a cup of cottage cheese and a piece of string cheese.
i am trying to figure out what i want to fix, wonder how a chicken omelet would taste? haha..
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 03/26/12
The thing I like most about strict Stillman's is... I don't have to count calories! Total freedom! You can always stay strict on Stillman's for a few weeks and then go to another plan so you don't get bored and quit altogether. Just change it up a bit every couple weeks and look at the BIG PLAN and your goal say six months from now. We can't beat ourselves up when we slip up, but we need to commit to losing so we feel better, are healthier, and can fit in those smaller sizes!

Reptogirl: My doctor has told me to take about 300 mg of Potassium each day. If I don't, I get leg cramps in the middle of the night... sometimes even TOE cramps... very painful!

Hope this helps. I used the original plan back in the 60s and 70s. Works wonders. I just didn't keep it up and I didn't get on the scale every day. I wouldn't be back here again if I could get the GUTS to get on that darn scale EVERY day.
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

thanks foxylady yeah i log my calories as more of a curiosity , i am hoping now that TOM is over i can actually start losing again.

i didn't get any of my vitamins/minerals took today, my uncle came over and i had just got up and it made my daily routine out of whack and then i got a call that my glasses were in so i totally spaced taking them, realized it when it was time to leave for work.

friday makes 2 weeks on stillmans, well i did have two off nights, last night was the donuts, and one day i had subway..and i had losses the next morning with both of those nights.

maybe i should look into a judd type thing, or have a free meal once a week or something along those lines. but i guess i will wait and see how i lose now that the water retention should be over.

well i forced myself to eat chicken, decided i didn't feel like messing with making an omelet
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

okay so i think i am going to do the judd for awhile and see how it goes. so you guys do stillmans one day and next day low carb? i ended up with 550 calories today. how many calories should i am for tomorrow?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
okay so i think i am going to do the judd for awhile and see how it goes. so you guys do stillmans one day and next day low carb? i ended up with 550 calories today. how many calories should i am for tomorrow?
If you are really going to experiment with JUDD you need to go to the JUDD website, toggle down and put your information into the calculator. Make sure you change the kgs to pounds and inches or your numbers will be messed up. Use the pull down menu and choose little to no exercise, everyone is advised to do that because otherwise the UD calories are too high.

Then there is a pull down menu to choose DD calories or you can just try and start out at about 500 calories on DDs.

The hard thing for some is wrapping their minds around eating the UD calories but to do the JUDD plan you need to try to eat near or up to your UD limit on UDs.

You also have to make peace with your scale. After UDs your body will be retaining water and the morning after an UD the scale will go up. Some people only weigh on the morning after a DD. Does this make sense??

LOL. It seems crazy at first. But the science behind it is to activate your SIRT1 gene. This is a gene that will produce a special enzyme/protein activated by Intermittant calorie restriction or fasting on DDs. As the weeks go by the enzyme builds up in your body and what it does is block/burn fat.

It's pretty simple. The best recommendation I can give is to just go to the JUDD forum and read, read, read and enjoy.

You will have doubts at first. You will maybe mess up on DDs and even on UDs as you have the freedom to eat and go over your limit.

But, the proof is in the experience of many who have done it. Like I said, read on the forum and see what you think.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #109
Blabbermouth!!!

Here is a link to the calculator. You have to toggle down to the bottom of the page to see it.

UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

my ud is supposed to be 2600 ...... those doing stillmans/juddd what do you eat on your ud? i don't think i could eat 2600 of low carb, and how close to your ud calories do you get to?

other news 1.4 loss on scale today 11.8 total yay.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
my ud is supposed to be 2600 ...... those doing stillmans/juddd what do you eat on your ud? i don't think i could eat 2600 of low carb, and how close to your ud calories do you get to?

other news 1.4 loss on scale today 11.8 total yay.
Yay indeed!!!!! I'm so darn proud of you!

On the Stillman/UD question I'm hoping Frances will chime in here and share her good advice.

I would venture to say that alot of people who start out with JUDD are afraid of the UD numbers and think eating way less will help. I was one of those. But my loss in the beginning was very slow doing it that way.

So, the more I read of others' experience and then when I read Johnson's book, I began to understand that the UD has the purpose of nourishing your body so you can sustain a DD without cheating. It also stops the stress hormone that is activated by calorie restriction and lets your body know you are not going to starve it forever.

When that happens, the metabolism starts to kick into high gear. Someone has described it as a piston like motion, slamming up and down, and as you continually subject your system to it by the UD/DD rotations, the metabolism is set on fire and your body becomes a fat burning machine, burning fat and miraculously preserving lean mass (muscle and proper hydration).

What you don't want over the long haul is to lose muscle. I think that's why so many long term VLC eaters find that weight loss slows down and eventually stops.

My advice to you is give this some thought. If what you are doing right now is getting you rapid results, you may want to continue if you enjoy it, until the rapid loss slows down.

There is no rush to switch to a new eating plan. However, if you continually feel deprived and have a lot of cheat days that throw you off your game that's a different story. Or, if your weight loss slows and stalls, it's a sign that a switch from Low Carb for a time will get you going again.

My DD range is 350 to 690. That's between 20% and 35%. Knowing in the back of my mind on a DD that I have some extra calories if I "need" them is very freeing and helpful to me. And, I know I will still be in WLM.

I took someone's advice on the JUDD forum and went back to the calculator and put in a weight midway between my goal (180) and what I weighed at the time (199) and used that to get my numbers and my UD numbers came in at 1900 instead of the 2200 I thought was too high for me to lose.

It was something like that anyway. I can't remember the exact numbers now and would have to go back and look it up.

Anyway, I immediately started losing faster when I did those things.

People usually experiment in the beginning or just start with a set number like 500/2200 to see how it goes.

I started out eating a lot of eggs, fat free lactose free milk, fat free, plain Greek yogurt (I sweeten it with Splenda and sometimes vanilla extract or even fat free chocolate Hershey's syrup or sugar free pancake syrup! )

I ate cottage cheese, lots of Tilapia, Salmon, Turkay, sirloin steak, ground beef, whatever. And, I added in non-starchy green vegetables and stuff like cooked and raw shredded cabbage.

There are some great recipes where you spray a pan with cooking spray, sautee a bunch of the shredded cabbage you buy in the salad section for coleslaw, then you add some fat free, low sodium chicken broth and then cooked chicken or ground cooked turkey, onions and whatever you can think of, even eggs! And make yourself a huge satisfying filling meal for very few calories. You gotta get creative! And pay attention to how your body reacts. If what you are doing is keeping you on plan and you know you are eating way less and way healthier than before you started, and if it makes you satisfied and feeling like you could do it for a long time, you are on the right track!!!

I'm venturing into the land of complex carbs. I buy whole wheat angel hair pasta noodles (only if they have 6 grams of fiber or more) and will stir them in with the cabbage/meat dish or even cook some fresh tomatoes and season with oregano, add meat and the noodles and it's so great.

If I find that eating any carb, even if it's a complex carb, causes me to crave more food, I know that's a sign to go back to eating pure protein and fat free dairy only for a day or so. Brings me right back to where I want to be.

BTW: Cabbage is a great diuretic and also great for cleaning out your intestines so you don't carry around extra pounds in there if you know what I mean. Oregano is also a diuretic.

I always say this: Do what is right for YOU! You are the expert on your own body.

Also, keep in mind that as you journey along this weight loss path, you not only want to get the pounds off quickly. You want to find, maybe by trial and error, a WOE that you truly enjoy and that you can stick to for life.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-29-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!

I just shared on another Stillman thread that I cook up some ground turkey and then stir in the fat free, plain Greek yogurt and it tastes like Stroganoff to me! Yum!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

i haven't decided what i am going to do yet, i posted on the juddd forum,

my problem is seriously i don't know how to get anywhere near 2600 calories in, without shoving junk in my mouth. right now i have no issues with the down days, i have had almost 2 weeks of down days

do you keep it with lean meat on your ud? or do you eat higher fat stuff?

and yes i am scared to add carbs in, but after that donut binge that was nothing but carbs and bad fat..i wasn't hungry the next day and the next 2 days were nice losses over 1 pou0nd each day...

i am all for a diet where i can take it easy every other day, i just don't want to screw up...i guess all i can do is try....like i have been wanting my moms homemade veggie soup...but geez not much calories in it, even if i ate the whole pot(which would be impossible!) its just veggies we refuse to put meat in vegetable soup-lol

now taco salad sounds good-but i think we are too broke to go buy the stuff- and i have to have corn chips or tortilla chips with it...so thats probably out. lol.

i obsess too much.i know.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I just shared on another Stillman thread that I cook up some ground turkey and then stir in the fat free, plain Greek yogurt and it tastes like Stroganoff to me! Yum!
Wow Yam,
That sounds good! I do think Stillmans is really small in eating options, you should post some recipes for us.

This month has been a really good one for me in weight loss. But I just stumbled into Judds because of my slip ups and then going stillmans the next day and noticing how it really didn't slow me down at all.

When I went to the Judds site and put my numbers in I put in my goal weight for my UDs and came up somewhere around 1500. 500 is my down days. I wasn't really counting on my exercise. I am still experimenting with this. Yam Yam knows way more than me about this topic. I am still planning to do Stillmans on my DD but with a romaine lettuce heart. I know that's not on the list, but I gotta do it for potty reasons. I like to keep it moving (hope that's not too much information)

Also I've just discovered almond milk. The stuff i get is 35 calories and 1 gram of carb and it has 45% of your calcium for the day. I am very concerned to get enough of that. I want to be healthy at the end of this woe. But I am considering the UDs will be great for getting all this vitamins that could help carry though the DD.

I agreee also you should just keep going as long as you are succeeding with Stillmans and not sick of it yet. Then when you make the change to the new plan it is fun.....

Frances
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
yes i got the right book, what i am saying is everything in the book about the qwl is already online the same thing that i have been following, so i actually didn't learn anything new about the diet.

yes i love the wording. can't believe he said fatties so stinking funny, also about an over active fork LOL!!!!!
The Fatties comment really cracked me up too
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

a half of cup of black coffee helped me on the days when i needed to potty and couldn't, but i don't drink coffee on a daily basis, especially not black, i do love it with liquid flavored creamer and sweetner, but something i can give up easily.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

by the way Repto,
for me personally I am generally trying to stay away from high fat and keeping my carbs as low as i can on DD and 50 or lower on updays. i just don't think it would be good for me to go higher. I'm trying to lower my tryclycerides and I heard going real low carb helps that. Plus I just don't have to worry about the hunger kicking in.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

But I do add a little coconut oil. You can use that stuff as lotion too. If you've never looked into it do a little search around this site. You'll be amazed at how healthy it is. Especially people with low thyroid.....

Very Very worth the money.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

so i had my ud, was not healthy..it was a repeat of a few days ago...still lost .2 so i am sooo grateful!!!! the .2 put me at exactly 12 pounds lost..today puts me on 2 weeks on diet..tomorrow will be my official two week weight loss weigh in!

my stomach actually hurts from the crap i ate yesterday, so i am hoping that will make it easier to resist the treats at work today, co workers last day of work and she is bringing in some treats for the children we work with.

i will have to look into some coconut oil
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

let me edit the last statement, lost 1.2 pounds for a total so far of 13