Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #91
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
watching Dr. Oz's diet tips on the Today show.......such quackery!
I used to like Dr.Oz. Haven't watched him for ages tho. He used to be on Oprah with us.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkrt7210 View Post
Good morning all! Today is day 1 for me. Scale this morning ; 240.8. It still hurts...how do I weight 65 lbs more than I did at this time last year? What a nightmare...
OK. That's it for me, enough woe is me attitude. I'm here and I'm starting something to agressively make a difference. First meal today, I had eggs w/ spices, hot sauce & feta cheese with a bit of lean ham. I thought I did great! Then I came on here and saw some advice to cut out the cheese all together. Do all of you guys do that? Yesterday I bought some fat free shredded cheese to add to chicken & steak, and some light baby bell & light cheese sticks for snacks at work.
Alright, well I'll be back to check in later! I work tonight (I work night shift 7p-7a) so that's when I anticipate this being harder for me. Good vibes to all!
You did do great!! Stills said no to cheese because he wanted the diet to be as low fat as possible. It's high in fat (even low fat versions) and therefore also high in calories. .......but it is still low carb and there are plenty who have it on Atkins and lose fine. Others find it stalls them. It really is a 'each to its own' thing. I think you are right though -little BabyBells will be handy for work.
Personally I think if you lose with the cheese and it keeps you on track (!!) then keep it in.
With QWL the rule really is--eat as cleanly as possibe. Drop condiments, diet drinks, deli meat etc. It does actually work the fastest like that!!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #93
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
amd I eat more whip cream in a week than Starbucks uses in a year haha
Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kkrt7210
Stats: 240/240/170
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 3/11/12
Hey all! Checking in before work. Lunch consisted of tuna, hard boiled egg, hot sauce ,spicy mustard & old bay all mixed up. For work tonight I packed a hb egg, 2% cottage cheese snack pack, light baby bell, shrimp w/ 2tbsp cocktail sauce, & shredded chicken I made in the crockpot yesterday with fat free / reduced sodium chicken broth & rosemary. Wish me luck!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #95
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Hey all! Checking in before work. Lunch consisted of tuna, hard boiled egg, hot sauce ,spicy mustard & old bay all mixed up. For work tonight I packed a hb egg, 2% cottage cheese snack pack, light baby bell, shrimp w/ 2tbsp cocktail sauce, & shredded chicken I made in the crockpot yesterday with fat free / reduced sodium chicken broth & rosemary. Wish me luck!

Sounds wonderful! What a great first day. You are on your way!

I'm w/ Mar and others....if it works for YOU, do it!

I think back in the day when Stillman wrote his books, you could not walk into a grocery store and buy fat free cheese or low fat cheese. He highly approved of cottage cheese and I think back then, if I recall correctly, it was not low fat at all. I ate it back then and now and I lose.

Dukan, in his book, says cottage cheese is a weight loss power house. So, if you can keep that in your diet, it's a good thing.

Last night I had a sugar free jello cup w/ sugar free HWC on it and it was oh so good and really hit the spot.

IMHO if we can find little things that feel like cheats, don't set off cravings, and keep us on track AND we are still losing, then go for it! Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do. You are the expert on your own body and how low carb QWL works for you.

As many experts have said, the best WL plan is the one that WORKS FOR YOU! KUTGW!!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm slicing up a big chicken breast for dinner. I'm going to sautee it in a bit of EVOO and spice it up. Probably will eat it with cottage cheese. Our store does not even carry FF or 1% so I had to get the 2%. Wow, it tastes creamy after eating 1% I bought out of town last time. Yum!

I made really fluffy scrambled eggs for breakfast. I bought organic brown eggs and for some reason they just puff up so beautifully. Much better than the regular generic white eggs.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hi y'all and Kk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, we survived the doc visit and the DMV was really quick, so it wasn't all bad.

DH is pretty bummed, tho, the doc said the xrays show his left hip bone on bone and that an orthopedist would be scheduling hip replacement surgery immediately if he saw the films....no going under the knife for him so we will have to find a better way.

had eggs ham and some chicken today, feeling good!

{{{{{{{MAR}}}}}}} {{{{{{GT}}}}}} glad your all back! GT are you feeling better??
Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011
hey guys its a slow night here.

I am procrastinating doing work and I got in an argument with the bf because he's being a jerk lately, good news is I ate so may chicken wings tonight the argument didn't make me turn to ice cream so
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #99
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning. I'm crawling back from sick. I'm still trying to feel better but it takes me sooooo long to get better. I'm on my second rounds of steroids.

YAM - sometime ago you posted some chicken breast ideas. I thought I knew where the post is, but I can't find it now. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
hey guys its a slow night here.

I am procrastinating doing work and I got in an argument with the bf because he's being a jerk lately, good news is I ate so may chicken wings tonight the argument didn't make me turn to ice cream so
LOL baaaaaaaaaad BF..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Good morning. I'm crawling back from sick. I'm still trying to feel better but it takes me sooooo long to get better. I'm on my second rounds of steroids.

YAM - sometime ago you posted some chicken breast ideas. I thought I knew where the post is, but I can't find it now. Can you point me in the right direction?
Oh Mim you hang in there, steriods???????
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

Mim: I have no idea how to find an old post like that!

I can tell you a couple off the top of my head:

Very tender stove top chicken:

Roll chicken breasts in a little bit of finely ground bread crumbs or oat bran (but you don't have to)

Heat up EVOO in skillet which has a lid.

Brown chicken on both sides (BTW add herbs like sage, oregano, garlic, anything you like, lemon pepper...)

Add some low sodium, fat free chicken broth

Put lid on, reduce heat to low or simmer and set the timer for 45 minutes.

Herbed Chicken Parmesian:

Put chicken breast on a piece of foil which you have sprayed w/ cooking spray.

Sprinkle w/ small amount of bread crumbs, oat bran, and parmesian cheese. Spray again w/ cooking spray. Squeeze juice from 1/4 lemon over and then add a teaspoon or two of capers over top.

Wrap the foil loosely around the chicken and fold over the top to seal but still let out a little steam.

Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes to one hour.

Sliced chicken and green peppers:

Slice the chicken breast into strips.

Heat EVOO in skillet and add chicken, stirring and browning over medium high heat.

Add sliced green peppers, stir until cooked.

Add a little chicken broth, just to cover bottom of pan. Add spices (sometimes I like to sprinkle fajita seasonings on this)

Put lid on and let simmer about 10 minutes.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 03-13-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #102
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Yam! I'm going to fix chicken today!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yam, can I grind oatmeal and use it like oat bran? I have a bunch of oatmeal I'm never gonna use.........WTH is oat bran anyway? Off to look it up!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG an 81 gram serving of oatmeal has 56g of carbs.....that's healthy? not!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #105
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cami-ICU-RN
Stats: 147.4/142.4/138
WOE: Dukan, Stillman, & general low carb ;)
Start Date: 03/05/2012
Quote:
Yummo! Good job. :-)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cami-ICU-RN
Stats: 147.4/142.4/138
WOE: Dukan, Stillman, & general low carb ;)
Start Date: 03/05/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Sounds wonderful! What a great first day. You are on your way!

IMHO if we can find little things that feel like cheats, don't set off cravings, and keep us on track AND we are still losing, then go for it! Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot do. You are the expert on your own body and how low carb QWL works for you.

As many experts have said, the best WL plan is the one that WORKS FOR YOU! KUTGW!!!!
Agreed!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #107
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yam, can I grind oatmeal and use it like oat bran? I have a bunch of oatmeal I'm never gonna use.........WTH is oat bran anyway? Off to look it up!
No no no and no!!!!!! They're not the same!!! The part of the grain that's used for oatmeal is the least unprocessed. Oatbran has less carbs than oatmeal, far more protein and also binds nutrients and therefore calories(!) in your intestine. That's why you're only supposed to have max 2 TBs a day. It also is way lower on the GI than oatmeal.

I definitely think oatbran is much better than oatmeal. It fills you up, but differently than oatmeal. Personally with oatmeal I'm very hungry after about 2 or 3 hrs so I know it's spiked my bloodsugar. I don't get that at all with oatbran.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #108
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
OMG an 81 gram serving of oatmeal has 56g of carbs.....that's healthy? not!
A serving here is 30g-----US portions are way bigger!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #109
Big Yapper!!!!

I stay away from the oatbran mostly cos I could eat bowls of the stuff--so it's better if it's not in the cupboard!!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thx GT. I dumped the oatmeal outside for the birds to eat. I don't think I'll be buying the bran anytime soon.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #111
Big Yapper!!!!

I think the bran is good if you really want pancakes or muffins. It's a lot better than the 'real' things!!! I still never got why Dukan allows it-its still high in carbs. That and all his low fat dairy. Don't get me wrong I loooove dairy, but it's still high in sugar. And i have a feeling it stalls me. I don't really know if it does-its just a feeling!!!!! For me the best loss wise are chicken and tuna--oh joy!!!! Just had some chicken a few mins ago--on a bed of shredded white and red cabbage !!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

Its gorgeous here!!!! Gonna hit 20c/ 68f. Missing home tho-gonna miss St.Pats Day. I ry should have booked home for the weekend--that was stupid. The flights are way too expensive now.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #113
Big Yapper!!!!

OMG-watching tv bout pple who can't put on weight even though they eat like 8000 cals. What we should have sympathy????!!!!!!!!
Actually intetestingly they all hate it!!!!!! Oooh I'love that problem!!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #114
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
OMG-watching tv bout pple who can't put on weight even though they eat like 8000 cals. What we should have sympathy????!!!!!!!!
Actually intetestingly they all hate it!!!!!! Oooh I'love that problem!!!!!
Should not laugh about this. I know.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #115
Blabbermouth!!!

I do make Dukan pancakes. But I don't eat them a lot. DH loves 'em. He's doing so great with the healthy eating and I'm proud of him. He is down 17 pounds and kinda bummed 'cos he stopped losing so fast.

If I make the oat bran pancakes and don't put any kind of sweetener in, then I can actually use one for a sandwich. Just put chicken or turkey in it and fold it over. So, so satisfying.

Dukie does explain in his book why he encourages the FF dairy (prefers Lactose Free) and the oatbran.

He says they do not affect blood glucose and that the FF dairy carbs are different than regular carbs and are absorbed differently.

I actually see a better and faster loss w/ the dairy. Especially if I have FF, plain Greek yogurt right before I go to bed. Just 8 ounces and maybe a little vanilla extract stirred in.

I could not believe how fast I lost at first doing Dukie's plan. I lost 14 pounds the first 10 days and was down 20 by the end of the month. That was August. It slowed down after that but was still steady. Then when I hit 25 pounds down, sometime in early December, seems like it came to a screeching halt and I got stuck. Probably just my body getting used to it.

The end of December I started calorie cycling but still staying LC and it started moving down again.

But, right now I feel like my bod is "resting" again. I hit a new low last week (195.6) and I'm just hanging out there. It's OK because the JUDD type calorie cycling is so easy for the most part and actually enjoyable as well. If my body wants to maintain for a while and then drop some more, that's fine with me as long as I don't have to starve.

This is usually the point -- after I lose 25 or a bit more -- that I start gaining. But it has not happened. Probably because either pure protein/protein non-starchy carb cycling or LC calorie cycling is great for maintaining and a reasonably slow but steady and sustainable loss.

I'm going to keep experimenting, reading, and keep being happy with who I am and where I am at and where I am going. Does that make any sense? It does to me.

I have been feeling like my body, while it's resting for a while at current weight, really wants to drop some more soon. Don't know why. It just feels like it. Hope so!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #116
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I have finished day two! I did something today that I've not done in the past. I had my monthly lunch meeting at someone's house and asked her for some low carb options! She had a fish dish and salad and okra and tomatoes. There was rice and fruit too, but enough for me to eat that was low carb! She also had low carb ice cream. That was very sweet of her. I didn't have any ice cream. Tomorrow I'll be as close to zero carb as I can possibly be, but I'm very happy with my day today!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: runnah262
Hey Everyone! I have a ridicilous question LOL...i literally work like 11 hours a day and than work out for an hour a day, don't cook (b/c i dunno WTH i'm doing LOL or have time too) BUT i was wondering... i know stillman's says no lunch meats but what about Boarshead Brand turkey and chicken breast sliced fresh lunch meats from the deli? i have no probably going and buying it i do know that it is free of fillers an nitrates i checked online i was just wondering what you guys thought????

thanks!!!

Danielle
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #118
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnah262 View Post
Hey Everyone! I have a ridicilous question LOL...i literally work like 11 hours a day and than work out for an hour a day, don't cook (b/c i dunno WTH i'm doing LOL or have time too) BUT i was wondering... i know stillman's says no lunch meats but what about Boarshead Brand turkey and chicken breast sliced fresh lunch meats from the deli? i have no probably going and buying it i do know that it is free of fillers an nitrates i checked online i was just wondering what you guys thought????

thanks!!!

Danielle
Good morning! I eat Boarshead meats - I keep them on hand when my schedule gets crazy. I haven't noticed that they slow the weight loss, but I don't eat them all that often. Try it - if it works you have found an easy way to make this plan work for you!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #119
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnah262 View Post

thanks!!!

Danielle
Hi Danielle: I agree with Mim. I think back when Stillman wrote the book, processed meats were way different than they are now. I regularly have Foster Farms Oven Roasted Turkey breast, packaged, from the deli. You might want to check the sodium content. I think that would be the only problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I have finished day two! I did something today that I've not done in the past. I had my monthly lunch meeting at someone's house and asked her for some low carb options! She had a fish dish and salad and okra and tomatoes. There was rice and fruit too, but enough for me to eat that was low carb! She also had low carb ice cream. That was very sweet of her. I didn't have any ice cream. Tomorrow I'll be as close to zero carb as I can possibly be, but I'm very happy with my day today!
Mim: WTG on sticking to your plan! And not even any ice cream. Good Girl!
Closed Thread