Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Stillman's Valentine's Skinnies loving meat in February!!

Join the lovely Dr. Stillman for a skinny meaty dinner for two this February!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome to February's thread, peeps!! Let's make it a good month!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
O cute title GT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Yam Yam: So sorry for another loss in your family.

I'll have to try to catch up on all the posts! I had an episode at lunch on Sunday where I passed out momentarily, got all out of breath and woozy, with chest pains. It started happening in the evening again so I went to the hospital. Diagnosis was arrhythmia and bradycardia. They wanted to check for blockages but my insurance pays 80% and I don't think I could handle the rest just now. Plus, I have fragile veins and I have to fly to the grandbabies on Wednesday. I saw my family doc and she's cool with waiting for all those invasive tests. She also agreed with me that it could have been caused by the aspartame I had two hours earlier.

Back on Stillmans on Tuesday after getting out of the hospital on Monday!
Today and tomorrow are Atkins days for me.

The Canada trip is going to be tough trying to stay on plan, I guess I'll just try to eat as healthy as I can and make sure I have protein snacks to substitute for junk food.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Christine how scary, I hope it's nothing serious!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerizing View Post
Yam Yam: So sorry for another loss in your family.

I'll have to try to catch up on all the posts! I had an episode at lunch on Sunday where I passed out momentarily, got all out of breath and woozy, with chest pains. It started happening in the evening again so I went to the hospital. Diagnosis was arrhythmia and bradycardia. They wanted to check for blockages but my insurance pays 80% and I don't think I could handle the rest just now. Plus, I have fragile veins and I have to fly to the grandbabies on Wednesday. I saw my family doc and she's cool with waiting for all those invasive tests. She also agreed with me that it could have been caused by the aspartame I had two hours earlier.

Back on Stillmans on Tuesday after getting out of the hospital on Monday!
Today and tomorrow are Atkins days for me.

The Canada trip is going to be tough trying to stay on plan, I guess I'll just try to eat as healthy as I can and make sure I have protein snacks to substitute for junk food.
Oh my! Please take good care of yourself! Have fun visiting the grandbabies! Eat the best you can and relax!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Can someone please tell me where my watch is? I remember taking it off in a place where I don't usually take my watch off! I remember thinking it was a bad idea but that I would remember where I put it. I don't. So, can someone please tell me where it is?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Mim, it's always in the last place you look dunno, near a sink maybe?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Take care Christine.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

This weekend has been my first off in ages!! There was a Mardi-Gras type thing on in the town today. I've eaten so much in the last few days--oopsie!! I've just eaten a huge donut--and I don't even particularly like them!! But everyone else was having them....yes I know, as my Mum would say, so if everyone was eating poison you'd have some too, would you??!! And on Thursday I was just so tired at work (I was there 3 hrs after I was meant to finish) and I was having a hard time from my boss, so I ate a apple cinamon muffin----it was gooooood!!! That was real comfort eating! Things are supposed to better this week so I'll be 100% back on plan, I'm boiling eggs as I type! And I'll have more woking out time too-yay! I really feel the change in my body when I don't work out---wobbley!!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

'I know, as my Mum would say, so if everyone was eating poison you'd have some too, would you??!! '

what on earth could your boss be harassing you about? the one from your lecture position?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Enjoy everyone! Have a gr8 nite!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: purekitten
Stats: 141/130.8/100 5'2"
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 5/16/2012
Ah I'm so embarrassed. This weekend has been a non stop binge for me. Its just remarkably difficult for me to stop 4 yr long binge eating habit. Its terrible, the cravings just build and build, and I lose it. I literally wait until everyone's asleep, and then I do my secret "thing". So its not even a matter of waiting. Yesterday night, I was working, then waited 2 hours from 11 pm to 1 am to binge. I don't know what to say. I seriously forget how last summer I was able to resist each and every time. I'm beyond disappointment, I realize I need to change my mindset to make myself strong enough to resist temptation. I don't know what to do with myself, I'm definitely not in that state of mind yet. Anyone ever struggle with binge eating? I really need help. Thanks.
But its not as if I buy junk and binge. No, I live with my family, and I'm constantly surrounded by everything off this diet, so convenient, right?
Do you girls think its time for me to get professional help?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ah, Pure, be patient with yourself. Yesterday is the past.

Are you in ketosis when this happens? Look for a trigger. Feeling deprived? Stress trigger? What do you reach for when it hits?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: purekitten
Stats: 141/130.8/100 5'2"
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 5/16/2012
CC, I think I was in ketosis, because it was my 5th day already. Does ketosis have something to do with it? I always go for really starchy and fatty foods (like cheesecake and pasta). I think I probably got triggered when I went to visit my dad, I'm always really tempted when I'm at his place, because there's so much off-limits food! I think next time I visit, I should just leave the freezer shut and not even look inside, because all the tempting foods are in there. I should probably also find a good book to read or work on some knitting to prevent myself from being too bored. Some underlying reasons are probably deprivation, some frustration at myself for my continuous weight battle, etc.
Looking back, I should probably just try my hardest to get through the beginning, I recall I seem to get used to the diet awhile and even have to really try to resist temptation after 2 weeks or so.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah, you were prob past carb withdrawal.

For me, it's an all or nothing game. Meaning, once I read on how carbs are pretty much poison to the human body and observed for a fact the improvements in my health over the last year or so that you, or at least I, can't go back.

That doesn't mean you can't visit once in awhile, but carbs will never be a part of my lifestyle again.

Last week I was looking in the pantry at the last of the split peas and the hambone leftover from a ham. So I made some split pea soup. I had about 1 cup and an hour later had raving heartburn. Today I was so cold I heated some up to get warm. After about six spoonfuls I dumped it all in the compost. Just not worth it.

What you have described is not binge eating IMHO, hiding in a closet gorging to the point of bursting again and again. I would call it a time out or an off day. You weren't in your safe place where you controlled the food choices.

Temptation will always be there in some form for everyone. In time you will learn to choose your battles or let things roll.

Part of reshaping your diet and lifestyle is food memories, the comforting sensation of how good things used to taste. Once you are carb free somehow they just don't taste the same. They still may taste good, but it's like that first crack high that you never experience again...

Last edited by CCGirl; 02-06-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/141/130 | 5'6"
WOE: Stillman/Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2012
Hello everyone, just found this site.
Sorry this post is so long.

My history:

My mother and I used Stillman's a few times in my junior year of high school. I always had quick results (usually losing 7 pounds in 10 days). I never stayed on it longer than 10 days. I would get up to 145 (at 5'6"), use Stillman's to get back to 138, and settle for that.

I tried Atkins once or twice in my twenties, but couldn't stay on it more than 3 days. I don't recall where I got my info on it, but I don't remember being allowed vegetables. I would eat steak, eggs, butter, and cream in my coffee, end up craving lettuce and fruit...for some reason I did not think I could have even a lettuce leaf to help with the cravings...then I would binge a couple of days and end up weighing more than before I started.

In the intervening years (decades) I discovered juice fasting, and used that to get back to 130'ish whenever I would hit 145'ish. I would eat mostly whole foods in between, gaining again whenever I got too relaxed around food.

Last summer, on my last juice fast I lost 16 pounds in 19 days, spent the time that I wasn't eating reading diet blogs (Paleo, body recomposition, it is ultimately all about calories, etc) and decided to try to find my supposed "balanced diet caloric maintenance level" by counting calories, exercising a ton and eating a supposedly healthy balanced diet (lean meats, whole grains, legumes, fruits, veggies, olive oil). I was starving for 3 months (seriously, juice fasting was easier - at least with fasting your hunger goes away). I was averaging 1350 calories per day and just maintaining. I spent some time over at ************ and read all about how I've ruined my metabolism by fasting, that you can't let yourself go into "starvation mode" - if you aren't losing 1-2 pounds per week when eating 13 calories per pound, you are probably eating more than you think, or maybe you are eating too little, or somehow the calories from fat count differently from the calories in grains. It all made me crazy (and did I mention I was starving?)

Then last November I heard about Joel Furhman's Eat To Live - all you can eat of fruit, low carb veggies and legumes, with some healthy fats and a small amount of starchy vegetables. Strict vegan had never appealed to me, but I love fruits and vegetables, and liked the whole foods side of it, and liked the all you can eat aspect. Following his program with a healthy fear of legumes helped me quickly lose the 4 pounds I gained in September and October from my revolt from calorie counting. It was a lot easier than I expected - I never had to go hungry (I don't do well hungry). But then life got stressful, I got distracted and I took Dr. Furhman at his word that you really can eat unlimited amounts of legumes because their starch is "special". I went from eating half a cup of black beans per day to eating one and one half cups per day and gained the 4 pounds back plus a few.

Still looking for a way to get and stay slim without going hungry.

In January 2012, I ran across a more modern writeup of Atkins that allows a fair amount of vegetables, and just completed an entire week of Induction. I lost 2.5 pounds (not as quick as many folks report, but way faster than starving on a 1200 calorie balanced diet). But then Super Bowl Sunday came and my skinny husband decided pizza and beer go better with football than Mongolian Beef wrapped in lettuce leaves (a dinner he had been requesting all week). 3 pounds back.

I know, its just water. I know, I could have let him eat pizza while I stuck with my original plan, but it would have made him sad. I could have eaten a big salad with a few pizza toppings, but I don't have that much will power when changes spring up. So I've decided that weekend eating with my husband is going to undo any progress I can make during the week with Atkins. Then I remembered how much quicker the Stillman diet was, started googling and found you.

I am happy to find folks who still know about Stillman and who sound so supportive of each other. You have some amazingly inspiring stories.

I decided to try Stillman's for a few days during the week (for quick, hunger-free fat loss) with a few days of Atkins (for fat, fun and veggies) with a few bites of whatever my husband wants for dinner on the weekends. I will also try to find the Dukan book at my library (mmm...Greek yogurt).

I started Stillman's on Monday (3 pounds gone already - yay).

I am hoping that joining this forum will help me stay the course.

Sorry this was so long. Thank you for being there.

Last edited by Beowulf; 02-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: deleting weird characters
Old 02-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wulf! You are very fortunate to have kept your weight in check over your lifetime. Stillmans is hands down the easiest for me.

Ever go to Laconia for the races or Bike Week?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

OMG it's a thesis!!!!!!!!! Ok going to read!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Beo--welcome!!! As you know Stills is great for the no nunger thing!!! Def read Dukan, especially if you like low fat dairy. His is a slightly more leniant Stills.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

In bed-work is still crazy. Will it ever end?????? On the plus side I'm actually 'penciling in' workout time like an appointment and sticking to it. Even if either of my bosses want me to work. I switch the fone off too. So even if the college is burning down--tough!!!!! As selfish as it sounds I need the 'me' time, and it keeps me out of jail on a homocide charge!! Hee!! Nite nite! Oh and I've booked a nice long facial for Friday morning--soooo looking forward to it!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

prepare for the end early, it will save a lot of confusion later..........

LIVING WILL

I, _____________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.. Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead partisan politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it, or lawyers/doctors/hospitals interested in simply running up the bills.
If a reasonable amount of time passes, and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:
______ a Manhattan ______ a Margarita ____ a Scotch and soda ______ a Bloody Mary ______ a Gin and Tonic _______ a Tee Time ______ a Steak ______ Lobster Tail ______ the remote control ______ a bowl of ice cream ______ the sports page______ sex ______ or chocolate, It should be presumed that I won't ever get any better. When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes, and call it a day. At this point, it is time to call the New Orleans Jazz Funeral Band to come do their thing at my funeral and ask all of my friends to raise their glasses and remember all the good times we had.

Signature:__________________________ Date: _________________________

NOTE: I also hear that in Ireland they have a Nursing Home with a Pub. The patients are happier and they have a lot more visitors. Some of them don't even need embalming when their time comes.If anyone knows the name of this happy place, PLEASE send me the data so I can pre-register.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
OMG it's a thesis!!!!!!!!! Ok going to read!!
she's kidding, Wulf!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
In bed-work is still crazy. Will it ever end?????? On the plus side I'm actually 'penciling in' workout time like an appointment and sticking to it. Even if either of my bosses want me to work. I switch the fone off too. So even if the college is burning down--tough!!!!! As selfish as it sounds I need the 'me' time, and it keeps me out of jail on a homocide charge!! Hee!! Nite nite! Oh and I've booked a nice long facial for Friday morning--soooo looking forward to it!!!
O good show! 'even if the college is burning down--tough!!!!!'

GT I've alway wanted a facial, is it worth it? Want laser for laugh lines, too
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/141/130 | 5'6"
WOE: Stillman/Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Wulf! You are very fortunate to have kept your weight in check over your lifetime. Stillmans is hands down the easiest for me.

Ever go to Laconia for the races or Bike Week?
I love that nickname: "Wulf" - thanks for the welcome.

I have not been to Laconia. I'm kind of new to New Hampshire. Great bicycling here. I'm probably too chicken to try biking with a motor.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wulf, where are you from originally? Love the no sales tax in NH but it's said property taxes are killer...........
Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Location: at present and resentfully TX..Will be leaving soon
Gallery: PsychDoc3
Stats: 261/128/140 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: Atkins(Jan 2010)Stillman's(March 2011)
Good morning everyone...It has been awhile, but I am finally able to join the community again... I'll be catching up with everyone soon...take care
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{PSYCH}}}}}}}}}}} how the heck have u been???????
Closed Thread