Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #481
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymama View Post
What kinds of things do you precook? I was just thinking about that as I just bought a bunch of chicken breasts at Costco and was thinking about cooking them up to have on hand. The problem I have is that plain chicken breast does nothing for me. They are so dry when cooked without fat. I could poach them in chicken broth, but still, bland city. Does anyone have any tips for spicing them up, Stillman's style?

If the chicken breasts are frozen, thaw them out. Tear off pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil big enough to individually wrap each one (I do it loosely, kind of make it like a tent, totally contained but folded over on the top).

Lay the foil flat and spray it w/ ICBINB or cooking spray. Put the breast on and then spray the top of the breast. Squeeze some lemon on it and season it with lemon pepper, garlic, minced onions, sage, oregano, whatever you like. Sprinkle a small amount of parmesian cheese over it if you like. Then spoon some capers, which have no carbs, on top and close up the foil.

Put the foil wrapped chicken pieces on a cookie sheet and roast in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
__________________
Yam-Yam

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #482
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Also, some of us have talked before about how we did not give up our healthy oils. My healthy oil of choice is Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold Pressed. I try to have at least 2 teaspoons of it every day.

My best, best and yummiest chicken breast recipe is this.

Thaw two or three of them. Heat some EVOO in a skillet. Sprinkle either oat bran or a little bit of finely ground bread crumbs on the top and bottom of each one (add any spices you like at this time. Basil, sage, oregano, etc) Brown each one over med/high or high heat on each side in the EVOO. Only takes a minute on each side.

Now pour in some fat free, low sodium chicken broth, about a cup or a cup and a half. Put the lid on. Bring it to a boil and then turn the heat to low and set the timer for 45 minutes. Let it simmer.

It gets sooooooooooo juicy and tender and I know it's the broth. When you take it out, most of the bread crumbs or oat bran will have gone into the broth (it's not enough to kick you out of ketosis, believe me, so you can drink that broth, too!) So, You don't get any fat and only a teeeeeny weeeeenie bit of carbs.

It's my favorite way to prepare chicken breasts or salmon or tilapia or cod or mahi-mahi.
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #483
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Other things I cook in advance:

Hard boiled eggs; sirloin steak on the George Foreman grill, pot roast in the slow cooker, I buy frozen turkey breast, thaw it out and roast it in the oven. The whole house smells amazing. I also love leftover salmon or tilapia, warm or cold, so I often cook extra when I'm making it.

When I'm hungry and in a pinch, I put a frozen tilapia fillet in a Zip-n-Steam bag and toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes. comes out so tender and moist.
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #484
Senior LCF Member
 
smallerizing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 476
Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/178/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Congats on your loss, Butterflymama!!

I can talk a little about Friday now, but not much. What a downer. Short story: Lost $3K because of beaurocrats but it was partly my fault because I should have checked up on the idiots. I can forgive almost anything but my own stupidity. It still hurts, because I'm $10k in debt to my IRA for living expenses while my leg was broken. I know I have to let it go and get on with life.

My job still sucks, can't find another one, and I feel like I'm as big as a house. Oh, yeah, part of this depression is S.A.D. related, so I'm just trying to get through the winter and bad stuff, and I know I will feel better when I get some sunshine. My winter break is in BC to see the new grandbaby, but the downside is that I usually like to go to Florida to catch some sunshine, not North to get even less!

Today was my weigh day, and I'm down 3.2 for two weeks. Not as good as expected but better than it was. It's a start.
__________________
Christine
smallerizing is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #485
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Christine: I'm so sorry! That sucks. And to be dealing w/ SAD as well. Bummer. Did you ever get one of those lights that is supposed to help? Hope you get a ray of sunshine soon.
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymama View Post
What kinds of things do you precook? I was just thinking about that as I just bought a bunch of chicken breasts at Costco and was thinking about cooking them up to have on hand. The problem I have is that plain chicken breast does nothing for me. They are so dry when cooked without fat. I could poach them in chicken broth, but still, bland city. Does anyone have any tips for spicing them up, Stillman's style?
BFM, I don't cook every night and DH does not eat anything that I do, he's strictly a pork or ham and croissant man.
Which actually makes life easy. I made a ham for him this week and he's perfeclty happy having the ham until it's gone, then I'll do pork cutlets or something else he likes.
So basically I'm free to have what I want.
I like to keep roast split breasts on hand, so I have the bones for stock. The meat roasted on the bone has more depth of flavor than a boneless breast. And I leave the skin on for flavor, which I give to kitties when I eat. This gives me something to work with, whether it's diced on a salad with hot sauce, chicken salad, or with soy sauce in stir fry.
I keep a tub of tuna salad on hand, I make like four cans of it at a time with huge amounts of diced celery and just enough mayo and mustard to make it cling.
I do about nine or ten boiled eggs at a whack so they're ready for egg salad, deviled or on a salad.
And I always have cottage cheese and greek yogurt so I can grab and shovel it down...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerizing View Post
Congats on your loss, Butterflymama!!

I can talk a little about Friday now, but not much. What a downer. Short story: Lost $3K because of beaurocrats but it was partly my fault because I should have checked up on the idiots. I can forgive almost anything but my own stupidity. It still hurts, because I'm $10k in debt to my IRA for living expenses while my leg was broken. I know I have to let it go and get on with life.

My job still sucks, can't find another one, and I feel like I'm as big as a house. Oh, yeah, part of this depression is S.A.D. related, so I'm just trying to get through the winter and bad stuff, and I know I will feel better when I get some sunshine. My winter break is in BC to see the new grandbaby, but the downside is that I usually like to go to Florida to catch some sunshine, not North to get even less!

Today was my weigh day, and I'm down 3.2 for two weeks. Not as good as expected but better than it was. It's a start.
OMG, whew!!!!!! I thought someone died.

I know money probs suck but it could have been worse.......
__________________
Laissez les bon temps rouler!!!!
If you can read this thank a teacher; since you are reading it in English, thank a veteran.
“Enjoy the little things, for some day you may look back and realize they were the big things” – Robert Brault

Last edited by CCGirl; 01-24-2012 at 05:00 PM..
CCGirl is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #487
Junior LCF Member
 
aNYCEgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suburb of Chicago
Posts: 4
Gallery: aNYCEgal
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 01-24-12
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie. I have had the Stillman Diet on my bookshelf for years and after trying everything else. (Or it seems like it) I am starting Stillman's Diet. So........a little about me. I do feel better when doing low carb, and I have some medical issues that I want cleared up by diet, not medicine, namely diabetes. First day and I have already seen I don't need as much insulin....amazing!

I can't wait to get to know all you, you seem like such a nice group. Stepping into health this year.....

Debbie
aNYCEgal is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #488
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Debbie: There is a good article I just printed out about why low carb diets work for weight loss and are good for you. In that article I remember reading about how low carb lowers insulin. In fact, the author says it should be called the "low insulin" diet instead of "low carb" diet.

Glad you joined us!

Here is a link to that article if you want to read it for extra motivation:

A clear explanation of why low carb diets work. (article)
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #489
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Ta-Da! You all! I was able to change my stats today! Scale down another -2.2 this morning. Yay!!!
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #490
Mim
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,285
Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Yeah Yam! That's gotta feel great!
Mim is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #491
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Mim: Thanks! It does! I'm
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #492
Mim
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,285
Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Ya know - sometimes life is hard. Right now that is my experience. But what is happening in my life right now has reminded me that I need to get off the feeling sorry for myself ride and get moving on the I'm on plan which means I'm eating right, exercising, and otherwise taking good care of myself, ride! I was recently informed that what looked like a permanent position is probably not going to be. So, in a few months, the search begins again. I knew this was a possibility, but it so looked like I was going to be able to say put for at least 18 more months. Alas. But I know that I need to be in good space while I seek and wait for what is next. No more pity party for me!
Mim is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #493
Mim
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,285
Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
And by the way - I'm kinda silent right now because I'm tag teaming with the other grandma watching the grandgirls while their mom and dad are away for the week.
Mim is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #494
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Mim: I hear ya. I think I told you about my state of mind on August 1st, just over 5 months ago, when I finally stopped the pity party and the excuses. I cried for a few hours after stepping on the scale that morning. It had been a very stressful summer w/ my DB getting very sick, hospitalized and then dying. Spending a lot of time with my huge family back east led to sitting around and eating and eating. And, of course, I left the scale at home....

The motivator for me was to read the Dukan book I had purchased a month or two before and had not read yet. One of the things he says is that to succeed we must avoid at all costs: Stress, Setbacks, and Problems. And, he says after you lose a bit of weight, avoid Weariness and Self Satisfaction. Wow. I meditated on all of that and even prayed about it.

How do you avoid stress when it's all around and everyone has it? I've decided it's a mind game. And, sometimes it's a matter of speaking up for myself.

Shortly after I started doing Dukan's LC plan and was losing quite quickly and "in the groove" so to speak, DH wanted me to take a trip back east with him to get together with some Army buddies and their wives. I knew it would be a set back as it would knock me out of my routine and provide lots of temptations. I just told him that I needed to stick to my routine and focus on me for a while.

Same thing happened when DD wanted me to have the DGKs over for a whole week just to give her a break. I told her I could have them for a few days, but that I needed time to go to the gym and to not be baking cookies every day! It worked out great. I mean I always love grand kid time. (BTW: Enjoy your gramma time!!)

DD understands that I'm trying to lose weight and we worked it all out.

Anyway, after I cried that day, I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck and I refuse to look back right now. and, I refuse to get derailed!!!

One more thing: Over these past few months we have had some financial challenges, death of a very close girlfriend, DH has had some health problems. There are family commitments and 1-800-GRANDMA calls. I go back to my journal and look at the notes I wrote along my journey and some Scripture verses I wrote in HUGE letters in my journal to remind me I can do this. And, I WILL.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: add something
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member
 
smallerizing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 476
Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/178/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
OMG, whew!!!!!! I thought someone died.

I know money probs suck but it could have been worse.......
That's exactly the way my brain sees it!!! Way to keep it in perspective, because it's "only money." We all have had worse heartbreaks than this. My emotions, however, refuse to listen to reason. I was crying this morning over it again. What is WRONG with these emotions??? I'm smarter than that!

Usually have those full spectrum light bulbs around the house and I don't this year. Maybe I'll go to a tanning place if they can find a bed big enough for me. I need some sunshine!

The good news is I'm staying on plan for the third day, and was down another pound today (although it doesn't really count unless I keep it off til Tuesday).

Congrats on your loss, Yam!!

Debbie: You are so right, low carb is the way to keep diabetes in check! I have hypoglycemia and the reason I started low carbing in the first place was to control it. It works!
smallerizing is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #496
Mim
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,285
Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Mim: I hear ya. I think I told you about my state of mind on August 1st, just over 5 months ago, when I finally stopped the pity party and the excuses. I cried for a few hours after stepping on the scale that morning. It had been a very stressful summer w/ my DB getting very sick, hospitalized and then dying. Spending a lot of time with my huge family back east led to sitting around and eating and eating. And, of course, I left the scale at home....

The motivator for me was to read the Dukan book I had purchased a month or two before and had not read yet. One of the things he says is that to succeed we must avoid at all costs: Stress, Setbacks, and Problems. And, he says after you lose a bit of weight, avoid Weariness and Self Satisfaction. Wow. I meditated on all of that and even prayed about it.

How do you avoid stress when it's all around and everyone has it? I've decided it's a mind game. And, sometimes it's a matter of speaking up for myself.

Shortly after I started doing Dukan's LC plan and was losing quite quickly and "in the groove" so to speak, DH wanted me to take a trip back east with him to get together with some Army buddies and their wives. I knew it would be a set back as it would knock me out of my routine and provide lots of temptations. I just told him that I needed to stick to my routine and focus on me for a while.

Same thing happened when DD wanted me to have the DGKs over for a whole week just to give her a break. I told her I could have them for a few days, but that I needed time to go to the gym and to not be baking cookies every day! It worked out great. I mean I always love grand kid time. (BTW: Enjoy your gramma time!!)

DD understands that I'm trying to lose weight and we worked it all out.

Anyway, after I cried that day, I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck and I refuse to look back right now. and, I refuse to get derailed!!!

One more thing: Over these past few months we have had some financial challenges, death of a very close girlfriend, DH has had some health problems. There are family commitments and 1-800-GRANDMA calls. I go back to my journal and look at the notes I wrote along my journey and some Scripture verses I wrote in HUGE letters in my journal to remind me I can do this. And, I WILL.
Thanks, Yam. I was just going to let myself cry and get it over with when I was called with an emergency and I need to get back to the office quickly. I'm going to stop at the store on my way home tonight and get my favorite bubble bath and have a long soak and cry tonight. I will be gone on vacation for a week in February and kinda resent the fact that part of it will be spent with friends who don't get low carb. But I'll navigate and in the meantime I'm going to get the Dukan book, carve out time for me, and make this happen!
Mim is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #497
Junior LCF Member
 
aNYCEgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suburb of Chicago
Posts: 4
Gallery: aNYCEgal
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 01-24-12
Thank you very much for the article, Yam-Yam, I will read it shortly. I felt so good yesterday, not craving anything, not hungry, actually not foggy either. I have had foggy days before on low carb, but not yesterday which was a surprise. I hope this feeling continues. Take care.
aNYCEgal is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #498
Junior LCF Member
 
aNYCEgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suburb of Chicago
Posts: 4
Gallery: aNYCEgal
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 01-24-12
Thank you, also, Christine for your welcome. I am learning a lot just reading these posts. We all are going through a lot of stress. I think it's the norm in this day and age we live. It's hard too! Yam, I am so sorry to hear of the death in your family. My sympathies to you and your family.

I am a 56 year old grandma, love my granddaughter, and my son had the nerve to move them all to Kansas too! And just to get a job, imagine!! The last time I saw my little 4 year old gd was her birthday in December. It was nice to see my DS and DIL too.
aNYCEgal is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #499
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,027
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCEgal View Post
Thank you, also, Christine for your welcome. I am learning a lot just reading these posts. We all are going through a lot of stress. I think it's the norm in this day and age we live. It's hard too! Yam, I am so sorry to hear of the death in your family. My sympathies to you and your family.

I am a 56 year old grandma, love my granddaughter, and my son had the nerve to move them all to Kansas too! And just to get a job, imagine!! The last time I saw my little 4 year old gd was her birthday in December. It was nice to see my DS and DIL too.
Hey! I'm 57.... can you believe we are what we are???
Yam-Yam is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCEgal View Post
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie. I have had the Stillman Diet on my bookshelf for years and after trying everything else. (Or it seems like it) I am starting Stillman's Diet. So........a little about me. I do feel better when doing low carb, and I have some medical issues that I want cleared up by diet, not medicine, namely diabetes. First day and I have already seen I don't need as much insulin....amazing!

I can't wait to get to know all you, you seem like such a nice group. Stepping into health this year.....

Debbie
WTG Debs, I'm a big no med minimal doc kinda gal and I firmly beleive that most of our ills can be cured with LC/Paleo. Do read the Naive Vegetarian in it's entirety to find out why.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Ta-Da! You all! I was able to change my stats today! Scale down another -2.2 this morning. Yay!!!
Let the New Years' Bash continue!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Ya know - sometimes life is hard. Right now that is my experience. But what is happening in my life right now has reminded me that I need to get off the feeling sorry for myself ride and get moving on the I'm on plan which means I'm eating right, exercising, and otherwise taking good care of myself, ride! I was recently informed that what looked like a permanent position is probably not going to be. So, in a few months, the search begins again. I knew this was a possibility, but it so looked like I was going to be able to say put for at least 18 more months. Alas. But I know that I need to be in good space while I seek and wait for what is next. No more pity party for me!
Mim you always know how to bounce back, you're amazing......like Yam..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Mim: I hear ya. I think I told you about my state of mind on August 1st, just over 5 months ago, when I finally stopped the pity party and the excuses. I cried for a few hours after stepping on the scale that morning. It had been a very stressful summer w/ my DB getting very sick, hospitalized and then dying. Spending a lot of time with my huge family back east led to sitting around and eating and eating. And, of course, I left the scale at home....

The motivator for me was to read the Dukan book I had purchased a month or two before and had not read yet. One of the things he says is that to succeed we must avoid at all costs: Stress, Setbacks, and Problems. And, he says after you lose a bit of weight, avoid Weariness and Self Satisfaction. Wow. I meditated on all of that and even prayed about it.

How do you avoid stress when it's all around and everyone has it? I've decided it's a mind game. And, sometimes it's a matter of speaking up for myself.

Shortly after I started doing Dukan's LC plan and was losing quite quickly and "in the groove" so to speak, DH wanted me to take a trip back east with him to get together with some Army buddies and their wives. I knew it would be a set back as it would knock me out of my routine and provide lots of temptations. I just told him that I needed to stick to my routine and focus on me for a while.

Same thing happened when DD wanted me to have the DGKs over for a whole week just to give her a break. I told her I could have them for a few days, but that I needed time to go to the gym and to not be baking cookies every day! It worked out great. I mean I always love grand kid time. (BTW: Enjoy your gramma time!!)

DD understands that I'm trying to lose weight and we worked it all out.

Anyway, after I cried that day, I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck and I refuse to look back right now. and, I refuse to get derailed!!!

One more thing: Over these past few months we have had some financial challenges, death of a very close girlfriend, DH has had some health problems. There are family commitments and 1-800-GRANDMA calls. I go back to my journal and look at the notes I wrote along my journey and some Scripture verses I wrote in HUGE letters in my journal to remind me I can do this. And, I WILL.
another wise one to learn from .......the beauty of not going it alone
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerizing View Post
That's exactly the way my brain sees it!!! Way to keep it in perspective, because it's "only money." We all have had worse heartbreaks than this. My emotions, however, refuse to listen to reason. I was crying this morning over it again. What is WRONG with these emotions??? I'm smarter than that!

Usually have those full spectrum light bulbs around the house and I don't this year. Maybe I'll go to a tanning place if they can find a bed big enough for me. I need some sunshine!

The good news is I'm staying on plan for the third day, and was down another pound today (although it doesn't really count unless I keep it off til Tuesday).

Congrats on your loss, Yam!!

Debbie: You are so right, low carb is the way to keep diabetes in check! I have hypoglycemia and the reason I started low carbing in the first place was to control it. It works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Thanks, Yam. I was just going to let myself cry and get it over with when I was called with an emergency and I need to get back to the office quickly. I'm going to stop at the store on my way home tonight and get my favorite bubble bath and have a long soak and cry tonight. I will be gone on vacation for a week in February and kinda resent the fact that part of it will be spent with friends who don't get low carb. But I'll navigate and in the meantime I'm going to get the Dukan book, carve out time for me, and make this happen!
hey, gals, your emotions have a place in all this. Feelings are not good or bad, they are just feelings. So let it out. And see one door close and a window open........

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCEgal View Post
Thank you, also, Christine for your welcome. I am learning a lot just reading these posts. We all are going through a lot of stress. I think it's the norm in this day and age we live. It's hard too! Yam, I am so sorry to hear of the death in your family. My sympathies to you and your family.

I am a 56 year old grandma, love my granddaughter, and my son had the nerve to move them all to Kansas too! And just to get a job, imagine!! The last time I saw my little 4 year old gd was her birthday in December. It was nice to see my DS and DIL too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Hey! I'm 57.... can you believe we are what we are???
I'm still takin' the fifth on the age thing sorry, if I look 33 then that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Last edited by CCGirl; 01-25-2012 at 04:17 PM..
CCGirl is offline  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #501
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
hey NYCE I was born in Monmouth and have cousins in Chi town and Wheaton......
CCGirl is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #502
Senior LCF Member
 
Butterflymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 831
Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
Hello everyone! My internet has been out, so I couldn't check in here for a couple of days. They finally got the line fixed, so I'm back in business.

Welcome, Debbie!

I was up 1.5 lbs. yesterday, so that was a bummer, but now I'm down 1 lb. today. I haven't been off plan at all, so not sure what's up with the fluctuating weight (maybe my scale was off the other day?), but whatever!

Yam-Yam, thanks for the chicken breast ideas. I made the chicken with herbs, garlic, and capers baked in foil for dinner last night and it was yummy. I'm going to throw a beef roast in the crockpot today and eat that later. I hope everyone has a great day!
Butterflymama is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #503
Junior LCF Member
 
mrb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 47
Gallery: mrb76
Stats: 280/251/175
WOE: VSG/lowcarb
Start Date: 11/2/2012
Good morning everyone!!! So, I had an epiphany. I cannot do this anymore. Meat and eggs are making me gag. It has gotten so bad that I threw out an entire cooked pot roast because I couldn't bring myself to even smell it. (my dad was mad - said his dogs would have eaten it! lol). Anyways, both my parents have lost amazing amounts of weight on Weight Watchers. My dad is down 53 pounds in just a few months so I think I will try it out. I plan to do the on-line Points Plus program and just get my head around portion control and healthy eating. Stillman is great if you can continue eating meat and eggs - I can't, my head and heart aren't into it and I keep wanting to cheat with everything from cake to carrot sticks! Lol, maybe I'll be back if WW isn't for me but for now I must try something different.
You are all doing fantastic and I wish you the most continued success!!!
mrb76 is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #504
Junior LCF Member
 
aNYCEgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suburb of Chicago
Posts: 4
Gallery: aNYCEgal
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: 01-24-12
Thank you CCgirl for the welcome and that's neat you have relatives close to me. I looked on a map to find out where Monmouth is. Not too far from where I was born. Cool! Is the naive vegetarian a book, CCgirl or an article I could read somewhere. Do you know who the author is? Thanks for the info.

Yam I sure don't feel this age mentally. I still feel like I'm in my 30s!

Butterflymama, thanks for the kind welcome.

I have been on this plan since Tuesday, only been off plan the first day with an apple and down 5 pounds. Amazing!!!!

One question, when you go out, what do you order? Would a julienne salad once and a while be that bad? What have you guys done in the past when eating out if you don't mind?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by aNYCEgal; 01-26-2012 at 02:05 PM..
aNYCEgal is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #505
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb76 View Post
Good morning everyone!!! So, I had an epiphany. I cannot do this anymore. Meat and eggs are making me gag. It has gotten so bad that I threw out an entire cooked pot roast because I couldn't bring myself to even smell it. (my dad was mad - said his dogs would have eaten it! lol). Anyways, both my parents have lost amazing amounts of weight on Weight Watchers. My dad is down 53 pounds in just a few months so I think I will try it out. I plan to do the on-line Points Plus program and just get my head around portion control and healthy eating. Stillman is great if you can continue eating meat and eggs - I can't, my head and heart aren't into it and I keep wanting to cheat with everything from cake to carrot sticks! Lol, maybe I'll be back if WW isn't for me but for now I must try something different.
You are all doing fantastic and I wish you the most continued success!!!
awwww, girl, a break is all you need.......best of luck whatever happens, and don't forget to stop by!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCEgal View Post
Thank you CCgirl for the welcome and that's neat you have relatives close to me. I looked on a map to find out where Monmouth is. Not too far from where I was born. Cool! Is the naive vegetarian a book, CCgirl or an article I could read somewhere. Do you know who the author is? Thanks for the info.

Speaking about doctors and medicines and such, I could really get on my soapbox now, but I won't bore you guys with my opinions on doctors and big business LOL, although I think it is more pharmaceutical driven anyway.

Yam I sure don't feel this age mentally. I still feel like I'm in my 30s!

Butterflymama, thanks for the kind welcome.

I have been on this plan since Tuesday, only been off plan the first day with an apple and down 5 pounds. Amazing!!!!

One question, when you go out, what do you order? Would a julienne salad once and a while be that bad? What have you guys done in the past when eating out if you don't mind?

Thanks a bunch!
TNV may as well be a book, it's a looooooooong read but well worth it. My point (and his) is not to bash vegans but to prove that we are not a vegan species and bigger yet, that grains were never a part of our diets until modern agriculture arrived. It should have stayed that way. There were no sick or fat cave girls. Yep, we all looked like Barbara Bach in the movie Caveman...............
The Naive Vegetarian

I get what I want that's in my lifestyle plan. Soup, salad, wings, prime rib, reuben (don't eat bread) burger, last time I was out I had beef veg soup and the most delish souvlaki salad.........tried to fake it at home, not as good........I never do desserts as I missed the sweet tooth department for the most part.......

Last edited by CCGirl; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 PM..
CCGirl is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #506
Senior LCF Member
 
smallerizing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 476
Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/178/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymama View Post
Hello everyone! My internet has been out, so I couldn't check in here for a couple of days. They finally got the line fixed, so I'm back in business.

Welcome, Debbie!

I was up 1.5 lbs. yesterday, so that was a bummer, but now I'm down 1 lb. today. I haven't been off plan at all, so not sure what's up with the fluctuating weight (maybe my scale was off the other day?), but whatever!

Yam-Yam, thanks for the chicken breast ideas. I made the chicken with herbs, garlic, and capers baked in foil for dinner last night and it was yummy. I'm going to throw a beef roast in the crockpot today and eat that later. I hope everyone has a great day!
Your weight can go up or down a pound or two just by WATER. Water retention, that is. The best way to document weight loss is to take an average of your weight for the week. If you end up eating salty foods, make sure you chug that water, it will help flush it out of your system instead of plumping up the cells. It's only temporary, as you found out though. Keep doing low-carb and you'll lose!

@ aNYCEgal, I order lean meats like salmon or chicken breast. Steak is nice, too but it has more fat. The way I look at it, cheating is not binging. A little extra fat in the form of a ribeye steak is not the same as a mound of pasta! (That would be bingeing. I know about bingeing.) I usually have some broccoli or peppers, too. At my favorite Mexican restaurant, I get fajitas but do not eat the tortilla. Again, not bingeing, and still in ketosis. Stay away from those rolls and tortilla chips!

I know this isn't strictly Stillman's (unless you have the baked Salmon with no sauces or butter) but we all have to choose our battles.
smallerizing is offline  
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member
 
smallerizing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 476
Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/178/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post

Way to go, Yam Yam!!!


oops, my 'puter is acting up. I thought that was today's post about the 3.5 lbs, but still awesome!

Last edited by smallerizing; 01-26-2012 at 06:52 PM..
smallerizing is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #508
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Nonfat Lactose Free Milk per cup
Total Carbohydrate 13g
Sugars 12g

Fat Free Milk
Manufactured by Stonyfield Farm per cup
Total Carbohydrates 13.0g
Sugars 12.0

CCGirl is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #509
Blabbermouth!!!
 
aleriaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,744
Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
Hi Girls!!! Hope all is well!! So good to see all the familiar faces on here!! and lots of new ones!!

I managed to let my weight creep back up to 142....

but today Im 139.5 Phew!

Ive spent the last couple days on a meat, cheese, pinot grigio diet. I must say, life is good like this, but the cheese has got to go. Ive played around with it for a while now, and it really does inhibit my weight loss. I just dont get the results like I do on just meat. My coffee has been black w/ splenda.

I wish you all the best! Stillmans rocks!!

xoxoxox

AL
aleriaaa is offline  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #510
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
CCGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 3,904
Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
woooooooohooooooo look who magically appears!!!!!!!!!! {{{{{{{{AL}}}}}}}}}


okay so back to the milk dilemma.........WTH am I buying skim for if it's loaded with carbs and sugar?????????? And what do I buy from now on????
CCGirl is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.