Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #331
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
and Mar- whos that guy? Go after him-hes cute!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Ok 1 more tan life picture, me on a bed of nails I miss my tan tan legs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nails.jpg (78.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
and Mar- whos that guy? Go after him-hes cute!
haha he's a friend of mine and he is dating another good friend of mine, its funny cuz I worked with both of them but hung out with them seperatley and then they stated dating, now I can multitask and hang out with them together haha

No cute boys like me, probably cuz I don't leave my house
Old 09-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #334
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
haha he's a friend of mine and he is dating another good friend of mine, its funny cuz I worked with both of them but hung out with them seperatley and then they stated dating, now I can multitask and hang out with them together haha

No cute boys like me, probably cuz I don't leave my house
she's got legs! woowoo sexy!!

are these the friends that are boring and lazy and hang around eating snacks?? you guys are into some wild stuff! hold onto this crew!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
she's got legs! woowoo sexy!!

are these the friends that are boring and lazy and hang around eating snacks?? you guys are into some wild stuff! hold onto this crew!
haha its a big group so half of us are fun and did the fire eating and stuff and the other half sit around and do nothing and eat all lots of tempting snacks, it wouldn't be so bad if they ate but were still active.

When we all went camping some of them wouldn't even walk from the campsite to the beach, its only 15 mins, I did it every morning alone and then they found 4 bears and I stopped walking alone haha
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

I only had 1 liter of water so far today and its already 1pm! I am not having a good water day haha
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
Quote:
I only had 1 liter of water so far today and its already 1pm! I am not having a good water day haha
Same! I am trying to catch up now... chugging water...probably not a good idea since I have a 90 minute meeting that I have to sit through now!!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #338
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
O thanks Al, will do........

water impaired today, too; mouth feels like full of sand
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #339
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
O thanks Al, will do........

water impaired today, too; mouth feels like full of sand
I felt like that all night last night and yet still i got up to pee in the middle of the night
Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Onto litre 3... and my all egg day is leaving me hungry I think I should have eaten 1 of the yolks but I just couldn't do it
Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Just a quicky to say I am still kicking. My net is dead because we got flooded last night. I will read and reply tomorrow if I can. I am on my phone now.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: VeeH
Good morning, all. Just another day here in Washington, DC, with terror threats! UGH! And what can one do but sit and wait and hope that those threats are empty....

Anyway, had a so-so day with the food yesterday, but had a good session with my therapist, and I, too, must get really strict and stop giving myself leeway for any carbs whatsoever. Had Splenda in my coffee, but I will not be having any more carbs today, OK? (Writing to myself again so that I stick to it.) I would love to lose 5 full pounds by next Friday. I'm sure it's doable, I just have to do it, because I want to look good in my dress!

Have a great day, everyone!

Vee
Old 09-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeH View Post
Good morning, all. Just another day here in Washington, DC, with terror threats! UGH! And what can one do but sit and wait and hope that those threats are empty....

Anyway, had a so-so day with the food yesterday, but had a good session with my therapist, and I, too, must get really strict and stop giving myself leeway for any carbs whatsoever. Had Splenda in my coffee, but I will not be having any more carbs today, OK? (Writing to myself again so that I stick to it.) I would love to lose 5 full pounds by next Friday. I'm sure it's doable, I just have to do it, because I want to look good in my dress!

Vee
I have friends in DC... sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way. I am also hoping that they are merely being overly-cautious and I am glad that they are being proactive...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/177/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Good Morning gals. . I will have to start all over again. . I was terribly ill yesterday - running a fever and everything - so I had to down some Nyquil and you know what that is composed of. . . OMG> . sugar. .yuck! Had to take a slug this morning just to be able to move. . so its really difficult to focus on my exercise and diet when I feel like crapola!! . .

See. .that's what happens when you don't take your vitamins. . .loading up on the C right now. .
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #345
Senior LCF Member

I had a dream last night that I was eating a huge pretzel rod dipped in chocolate... and my mom caught me and started yelling at me!!!

I wonder what tha means?? Craving chocolate and carbs much hmmmmm???
Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aloha Linz
Stats: 168/161/130 - 5'8"
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/5/2011
What is going on in the US? Flooding in northeast, terror threats in NY & DC, and power outage in southwest (my area)....crazy! Luckily, my city didn't lose power, so last night I stopped at the gas station on the way home from work & there was a line a MILE long....people stocking up & filling up gas containers....I didn't understand? The power was only supposed to be out for 24 hrs! These people were acting like it was armageddon & we would never have gas again!! Maybe I'm missing something....which is usually the case.

Anyway, I'm down another 3 lbs from yesterday! So since Tuesday, I'm down 6 lbs! Started at 163, down to 156.8....yippeeee!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I felt like that all night last night and yet still i got up to pee in the middle of the night
same here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrattyS View Post
Just a quicky to say I am still kicking. My net is dead because we got flooded last night. I will read and reply tomorrow if I can. I am on my phone now.
ugh, same up here; not by me but down by my BFF in Albany they had closed roads, canal locks give way.....scary
Quote:

Vee
yep, more to worry about.......crazy

hang in there everyone, this too shall pass
Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Science behind Stillman's?

I don't have the QWL book and am not a big sciene geek, but I am just wondering why Stillman's works (if it does??)... is it just because you are eating less calories?? I found this quote in a post in the Main Lobby...

"While in ketosis, eating a higher % of fat is actually better because only 10% of fat consumed eventually is converted into glucose as opposed to protein in which up to 58% of it can be converted into glucose, albeit very slowly, and probably won't trigger an insulin spike (Check out The Ketogenic Diet page 53-54 for more info by Lyle McDonald). Nonetheless, if you are not in ketosis, or are having trouble maintaining it, it could be due to overcunsumption of protein. For example, 58% of your 150 grams of protein is approx 92 grams of glucose that your protein could be eventually turning into, combine with your 30 carbs (100% of which is glucose) means your body could technically be converting and recieving a total of about 120 grams of glucose per day. While this is still excellent in terms of LC WOE (for maintenance stages), it could be enough to glucose to kick you out of ketosis."

Now, I don't know anything about this.. but this poster sounds like she does.

Any thoughts?? Or if someone has the QWL book, is there insight in there?
I am just wondering if it would be better just to do Stillman's, but with good fats in there too.. so the protein consumption wouldn't be so high... I've heard it's hard on your liver too.

Maybe it 'works' because your cals are so low on Stills??

(PS.. I say 'works' above because to be honest, I haven't noticed any faster weight loss on Stillman's than I had on Atkins... but I am still chugging along with my eggs and chicken breasts until the wedding... after that, I will go back to Atkins and see how that goes for the rest of my weight loss -- it's just more attainable in my everyday life -- something I can actually maintain.)

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: Reached Goal!
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 28th May 2010
Quote:

Vee
Sure hope the threats are empty. 5lbs by next Friday...you could even lose more... I'm about to get real strict with myself... let's do it! No more ***** footing around for me or you.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
Good Morning gals. . I will have to start all over again. . I was terribly ill yesterday - running a fever and everything - so I had to down some Nyquil and you know what that is composed of. . . OMG> . sugar. .yuck! Had to take a slug this morning just to be able to move. . so its really difficult to focus on my exercise and diet when I feel like crapola!! . .

See. .that's what happens when you don't take your vitamins. . .loading up on the C right now. .
Hope you feel better soon I'mz.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc0021 View Post
I had a dream last night that I was eating a huge pretzel rod dipped in chocolate... and my mom caught me and started yelling at me!!!

I wonder what tha means?? Craving chocolate and carbs much hmmmmm???
Just tell me, did it taste good?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Linz View Post
What is going on in the US? Flooding in northeast, terror threats in NY & DC, and power outage in southwest (my area)....crazy! Luckily, my city didn't lose power, so last night I stopped at the gas station on the way home from work & there was a line a MILE long....people stocking up & filling up gas containers....I didn't understand? The power was only supposed to be out for 24 hrs! These people were acting like it was armageddon & we would never have gas again!! Maybe I'm missing something....which is usually the case.

Anyway, I'm down another 3 lbs from yesterday! So since Tuesday, I'm down 6 lbs! Started at 163, down to 156.8....yippeeee!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

OK, had an ultrasound of lymph nodes today and the doc confirmed some are enlarged but she said at this stage they do not look threatening, although one had poor access (think that means she could not get a clear pic). She said when my consultant has the results from my other tests then a decision would be made with regards to whether further tests are needed. I will see my consultant on the 19th. So in short, so far, so good. I decided to leave the CAT scan unless it was absolutely needed... had a couple in the past and just don't want anymore unnecessary radiation...apparently it's the equiv of 500 chest xrays. She also confirmed that I was down as a suspected cancer case, I knew but it kinda freaked me out...anyway it was good news and I am thanking the Lord! So I am feeling positive and really down for getting fit and healthy. No more excuses from me...watch this space!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I don't have the QWL book and am not a big sciene geek, but I am just wondering why Stillman's works (if it does??)... is it just because you are eating less calories?? I found this quote in a post in the Main Lobby...

Now, I don't know anything about this.. but this poster sounds like she does.

Any thoughts?? Or if someone has the QWL book, is there insight in there?
I am just wondering if it would be better just to do Stillman's, but with good fats in there too.. so the protein consumption wouldn't be so high... I've heard it's hard on your liver too.

Maybe it 'works' because your cals are so low on Stills??

(PS.. I say 'works' above because to be honest, I haven't noticed any faster weight loss on Stillman's than I had on Atkins... but I am still chugging along with my eggs and chicken breasts until the wedding... after that, I will go back to Atkins and see how that goes for the rest of my weight loss -- it's just more attainable in my everyday life -- something I can actually maintain.)
if you go to the Atkins website the science is explained perfectly, how your body returns to normal state and auto shutoff occurs when full, how your body can only store fat it manufactures from carbs and not store the fat that you eat, etc. etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
if you go to the Atkins website the science is explained perfectly, how your body returns to normal state and auto shutoff occurs when full, how your body can only store fat it manufactures from carbs and not store the fat that you eat, etc. etc.
I know the science behind Atkins, just questioning the science behind Stills...? Why does it work better? Does protein actually convert to glucose? Is too much protein actually detrimental to weight loss at some point? Just random questions in my head...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
Sure hope the threats are empty. 5lbs by next Friday...you could even lose more... I'm about to get real strict with myself... let's do it! No more ***** footing around for me or you.
ooooooo MEOAW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post

ugh, poor kid........get back to LC so you won't get sick as much! Another benefit of the LC way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim: View Post
OK, had an ultrasound of lymph nodes today and the doc confirmed some are enlarged but she said at this stage they do not look threatening, although one had poor access (think that means she could not get a clear pic). She said when my consultant has the results from my other tests then a decision would be made with regards to whether further tests are needed. I will see my consultant on the 19th. So in short, so far, so good. I decided to leave the CAT scan unless it was absolutely needed... had a couple in the past and just don't want anymore unnecessary radiation...apparently it's the equiv of 500 chest xrays. She also confirmed that I was down as a suspected cancer case, I knew but it kinda freaked me out...anyway it was good news and I am thanking the Lord! So I am feeling positive and really down for getting fit and healthy. No more excuses from me...watch this space!
oh honey, I hope this sets the stage for good news only...........you still must be on pins and needles........

O lucky, lucky, lucky.........DH noticed a ginormous tree had fallen at some point during Irene so we went and dragged up into the upper pasture armed with chainsaw and sweat..........seriously, there were two branches that fell off of a pine tree that is at least a hundred feet tall if not more......it took us an hour and a half to cut it up and throw it all over the fence.......I still think it was lightning but no real burn mark, just a big dark spot where it tore away from the trunk.......of course, we had to do this today, the hottest and buggiest day of the week, not earlier when it was overcast and freezing out I'm sure my back will be thanking me tomorrow

so we came down and showered and himself is napping.......I'm waiting on a supplier to call........and watching a French Food At Home with Laura Calder where she is doing nice big fatty pork chops with preserved lemon.......I like her recipes, they are tres gourmand.......she is Canadienne.......I was never a big fan of french food, mum is, but she makes them seem simple and refined and very doable at the same time.

Have short ribs in the little oven on low and slow steeping in.........Budweiser! If you ever get beer as a gift that you will never drink, save it!! It will find its uses.

Last edited by CCGirl; 09-09-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I know the science behind Atkins, just questioning the science behind Stills...? Why does it work better? Does protein actually convert to glucose? Is too much protein actually detrimental to weight loss at some point? Just random questions in my head...
it works better because in theory it's zero fat.

Please see Barry Groves website Second Opinions UK when you have lots of time, you'll need it.and read the Naive Vegetarian. The light bulbs in your head will be exploding, then you will want to know more and soon will have read everything.

We were born to consume meat and fat. Period. Fruits and veggies are nice but unnecessary.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the suggestions! I am going to be reading Barry Groves... interesting stuff!!

Just for grins, I asked the 'knowledgeable poster' about her thoughts on Stills...

I am not familliar with Stillman's diet but from what you describe:

(1) It should work by the same mechanism as Atkins (Ketosis). Lack of dietary carbs causes you to get the carbs you need for your brain from glucose stores in your liver. Once you liver is depeleted, your body then turns to manaufacturing its own glucose to fuel the brain's glucose requirement. It does this from gluconeogensis which is fueld by your dietary protein assuming it is abundant. The rest of the body (cept a few other systems like red blood cells) can run entirely off of ketones, which are ceated by breaking down fats (either eaten or stored in your fat cells). As Stillman's limits carbs, it should cause Ketosis in your body.

(2) Carbs cause insulin spikes, but the lack of insulin triggers glucogon spikes which causes fats to be released from fat cells to fuel ketosis in the liver. Stillman's might be trying to capitalize on this process (lypolysis) to fuel the ketosis, rather than relying on dietary fat intake to help fuel ketosis... I am just guessing here though. In the short term, I think it will work (or at least Ketosis will do the job anyway, and Stillmans should get you into ketosis).

(3) Some disadvantages I see, are that Fats (especially saturated), and cholesterol, are needed inorder to build and repair cell membranes and other bodily components. Limiting them below what has been a traditional human diet throughout our evolution will probably have negative side effects... While this might be okay to do for losing weight (fat) I would think it would unsustainable for maintaining a weight (once you run out of fat stores). Additionally, our teeth indicate we are omnivores, not carnivores, so the answer for the perfect diet is some combination of meat and plants, not an exclusive kingdom.

(4) If you are not able to get into or maintain Ketosis, it could be from ingestion of too much protein, which can technically be converted into glucose at the rate of up to 58% as compared to fats which convert only at the rate of up to 10%. This is probably a concern more for the long term though. See The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonal for more details on this aspect, as he can explain it better than I can.

(5) Fats, in general produce a more full feeling for many people, so they don't feel hungry. Additionally some advocate that thermodynamics may or may not have a role in our body fat storage. I think there is some truth to it, so my only concern would be that if you are going to change your diet up with little margin of time for correction, you may want to make sure the number of calories you consume should not be increased just because you start consumming more fat and less protein. Remember, each gram of fat has 9 caloires, while protein is 4 calories, and 3500 calories is essentially 1 lb of weight.

(6) Also, try to relax, as Cortisol (stress hormone) can block glucogon and prevent lypolysis from occuring...

(7) Just watch the whole "net carb" thing in that some companies claim something dosn't count as a carb, when your body actually decides to treat the substance otherwise (like sugar alchohols).
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #359
Blabbermouth!!!

hey!! Im here for my drive-by...

Makeme - Im so glad you are ok.

Im on plan!! Im not cranky yet, but I know its coming. Going home tonight will be the true test. I promise to login before I eat anything non-meat. Need to get by one more day... I cant wait til this time next week. Hoping for 10 pounds gone and I know for sure I'll be back in the zone!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #360
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
DH noticed a ginormous tree had fallen at some point during Irene so we went and dragged up into the upper pasture armed with chainsaw and sweat..........
u are amazing.... I need to sign up for CCs bootcamp. You may be the only one that can whip me into shape.
Closed Thread