Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Macc0021
Stats: Pregnant - trying to keep gains at a minimum! :)
WOE: wheat allergy + low carb + pregnant!
Start Date: Every day!
No weigh-in from emalily yet?? I've been waiting all day to see how much she lost
Macc0021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SillyErin
Stats: 198/139/127
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: 5/16/12
Mar - the dude behind you looks amused...he was probably thinking "better her than me"

Aloha - The protein shakes give me INSANE CRAVINGS. Im gonna tell you a protein shake story. Started 2 weeks ago: SO...before 2 weeks ago, I hadnt had cravings in sooooooo long.

AND

*Since May, my brother has lost 85 pounds!* How? STILLMANS of course! I got him in on the fun.

He basically eats a Casein (slower acting protein, so its better for meal replacements) protein shake for breakfast, 8oz of chicken or turkey for lunch, and 8oz of the same for dinner.

SO I decided "maybe, HEY, maybe I'll try them shakes for breakfast" (im not a breakfast eater). So I started drinking them for breakfast and lunch, only 3 carbs, only 120 cals, no sugar - im thinking im doing good. In all actuality, they really did help with hunger. But the weird thing was I GOT INSANE CRAVINGS, and I NEVER have cravings.

If I binge or emotionally eat - its cause im moody, or worried, or anxiety, or tired....but never from actual cravings.

So I was wanting to eat everything in sight, all day, every day. And I was keeping a record of this in my food journal, what I ate, how I felt, etc etc. Sooooo hungry, eating everything in site, and too tired to run.

So I did some research, and it turns out people can be intolerant/or react to the milk protein in casein and whey. I wasnt "lactose intolerant" cause I wasnt having the bathroom issues.

So I cut out the protein shakes and IN 2 DAYS -- HOLY!! - look at me now, im able to stick to Stillmans, and no cravings AT ALL. In fact, I was so used to the cravings, that it literally feels like I have no appetite compared to when I was drinking the casein.
SillyErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
Start Date: Feb 2011
Ok I am hungry I think the all egg day isn't enough for me or atleast the all egg white lunch but I just can't eat egg yolks unless they are mixed in like scrammbled eggs, which is what I think I will have for dinner.
Mar922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emalily
Stats: 133/126.2/115; 5'6
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: September 1, 2011
Hello girls. Today has been kicking my butt.

Some things:

1. My scale has not been my friend the past few days. Two days ago: 126.2. Yesterday: 126.0. This morning: 126.2. Um, pardon moi?! I've been doing hardcore stillman's, had nothing but tuna, tuna, tuna, more tuna, and a bit of chicken and a couple hardboiled eggs; never eating past hunger or even to the point of fullness; walking 3 miles, 6 miles, 4 miles a morning, and drinking lots of water. I know it's only 3 days, but it's driving me crazy.

2. I have two scales; had one before but bought the second one because I'm crazy and need to take one wherever I go, like camping. The newer scale is the one that I've been using this last month because it seems nicer (more expensive), so I figured it's more accurate, and it's the one giving me these poopy readings. But if I step on it three times it sometimes gives me 3 different weights, not more than a pound or two different, but it's maddening. The other scale I still have consistently reads a pound or two lower than the one I've been using, causing me to be even more confused/annoyed. In conclusion, for the next week I do Stillman's, I will not be weighing myself. It is such a mind game, and though I have felt skinnier, more energetic and more attractive each morning I've woken up this past week, the scale keeps throwing me. I mean, what we're going for is THIN, right?? Beautiful? Sexy? Well a scale doesn't tell me that, but I surely have FELT it every single morning, more and more. I do love seeing objective weight loss measurements, in numbers; that is so exciting. But this next week, I'm committing to you the objective measurement of simply doing hardcore Stillman's. That is how we win, right? I KNOW that if I only eat tuna and drink water and non-caloric beverages I lose weight; it has worked so well each time before. There is no question of the efficacy of this rigorous program. I think when my goal becomes "to see a 1 pound drop on the scale" I get away from the actual steps to get there, so now the focus won't be on "seeing a lower number on the scale" but on eating pure protein only to the point of extinguishing hunger pangs, and drinking a small ocean of water every day.

3. I have a new ultimate goal weight. It is 115 pounds. I have been 115 pounds at my very lowest (115.6 to be exact), and this makes it feel so much more of a possible reality for me, a feasible ideal. There has always been the slightest question in my mind about reaching 110: will my body simply shut down and get crappy on me, like when I was starving myself? I don't like thinking that way. I like the idea of 115; I felt very slender at that size and my size 4's were falling off of me, and though I only had a tenuous hold on it, keeping it on the scale only about a week or so, I felt wonderful. I know that nobody else notices five pounds on me, so I shouldn't dwell on the possible appearance differences between 110 and 115; and, the fact that I would only have about 11 pounds to lose to reach 115 makes me MUCH more motivated. In only a couple days, I will be at the "last 10 pound" mark, and losing 10 pounds will be a dream with hottie mctottie Dr. S.

Sorry for today's poopiness and irregularity. I will be back to black tomorrow morning.
emalily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

EM!

Yep, yep, yep and more YEP! I totally agree!!! I dont weigh myself unless I KNOW for sure Im down a size - and thats after about a month of rotating Stillmans. (I say "rotate" cause I do 5 days in a row with a break and cycle it)

PLUS - some people lose weight in "chucks" ---> ME!! <----- I can be the same FOR DAYS then my pants suddenly wont fit and im down 10 pounds. So weighing everyday can send you into the frustrate/"why bother syndrome"

And, well, then...you cheat. Thats my history, at least.

And regarding your new goal weight? I think thats sooo smart - if it seems easier to get to, you can always re-adjust once you get there.

PLUS - if you arent weighing yourself everyday, you might "accidently" get to 110 without even knowing.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LawGirl86
Stats: 235/172/135-145?
WOE: hHCG my way
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyErin View Post
EM!

Yep, yep, yep and more YEP! I totally agree!!! I dont weigh myself unless I KNOW for sure Im down a size - and thats after about a month of rotating Stillmans. (I say "rotate" cause I do 5 days in a row with a break and cycle it)

PLUS - some people lose weight in "chucks" ---> ME!! <----- I can be the same FOR DAYS then my pants suddenly wont fit and im down 10 pounds. So weighing everyday can send you into the frustrate/"why bother syndrome"

And, well, then...you cheat. Thats my history, at least.

And regarding your new goal weight? I think thats sooo smart - if it seems easier to get to, you can always re-adjust once you get there.

PLUS - if you arent weighing yourself everyday, you might "accidently" get to 110 without even knowing.
I've been lurking in this thread and started a pretty strict Stillman's + running regime this week. I'm wondering how your rotating plan works?? On your days off do you calorie count? Do low carb? Eat whatever you want and exercise?

I've done a similar 6 days on, 1 day off diet plan but found myself getting derailed when I would stuff myself on my day off and gain back 3ish lbs. It was a lot of up and down on the scale, so I'm wondering how you made it work!

Sorry to derail the thread
LawGirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Okay gals, here's the deal for Week 2. My daily goal now isn't "to lose 0.7 pounds a day;" it is comprised of 3 things:
1. Walk 6 miles (I truly love walking; it's the only exercise I don't get anxious before)
2. Drink 80 ounces of water (= 4 Starbucks tumblers full throughout the day)
3. Eat 2-4.5 oz cans Very Low Sodium Chunk White Tuna for each meal.

No snacks in between. No other food. Just tuna. Three times a day.

This new low-sodium tuna has ZERO flavor, and the ingredients are just white tuna and water, instead of the tuna I was eating before, which had vegetable broth and salt. Each 4.5 oz can has about 160 calories, so each meal will be 320ish calories, meaning approximately 1000 calories a day, which I know I can sustain for 23 days or even 5 weeks (until my photo shoot) because there is no sodium, no flavor, and truly zero carbs = no hunger.
I love walking, and 6 miles takes me about 2 hours; feels so good. It always makes my day better and never makes me tired; somehow a long long walk is just so energizing. I adore starting out at 5am in pitch black, and getting to watch the sunrise, returning home in bright daylight. I feel so accomplished

This next phase of the challenge, the next three weeks, will be very different for me; I've ALWAYS been a scale junkie simply because it is my one source of pleasure when losing weight; it wholly represented my weight loss. But I know now that, like Erin said, some people lose weight in chunks, I truly felt skinny this morning, and have felt smaller every single morning; even LOOKED thinner (to myself). Now I'll just try to avoid becoming a mirror junkie instead, or simply addicted to checking myself out for evidence of weight loss. I just crave seeing my collarbones, and to feel more concavity, instead of fullness, under my chin, and to not have to suck in to have a flat stomach. Those will become my markers for weight loss, and they actually feel nicer than a lower number, because after all, a "125" as opposed to "127" doesn't directly benefit us in any way, but knowing that we actually look thinner from the side or have a more defined jawline IS a direct benefit.

So tomorrow = 6 mile walk, 1000 calories tuna, 4 water bottles, and the new goal of actual bodily evidence of thinness (like clothes being loose). But, no lie, there's no way in Hell I'm NOT weighing myself at the end of this challenge, because in the end the ultimate goal IS the number 115, and that involves a scale.

The ultimate weigh-in will be the morning of October 1st, 2011. Be there or be smacked
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: als9503
Stats: 167/167/130 5'4"
WOE: Stillman's/Meat & Egg
Start Date: 4/03/12
Hi ladies! Thanks everyone for being so welcoming to this latecomer.

Em - Every goal needs reassessment from time to time and your revised plan sounds solid. The important thing is that you continue to press on. You have managed to inspire a whole troupe of women to work toward looking and FEELING better. We appreciate that and we are rooting for you. **sending positive vibes your way** By the way, I live in Michigan now, but I grew up in Richardson, Texas. :-)

Here is my menu for today:
Breakfast - 2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch - 2 hard boiled eggs
Snack - 6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
Dinner - 1 can of low fat chicken breast.
Water - 92 oz. so far. Will drink another quart or two to get in more than 1 gallon for the day.

I am going to wait until my son goes to bed to take my before shots. The best mirror and lighting is in a public part of my apartment and I don't think my 16-year-old son wants to see his mom in all her, um, glory. If I don't get them posted tonight, they will be up tomorrow for sure.
als9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Of course I'm perfect.

Als- your menu is so clean and disciplined; I'm jealous and impressed! Greek yogurt is incredible; sadly (as I've said in a previous post) I spent 2 months eating ONLY greek yogurt and now can't look at it lol. What brand do you like best?
Oh, and I am chuckling here about your son would think of seeing Mom snapping scantily clad photos of herself... I have 17 and 13 year-old brothers here at home, and they would be freaked
And- I LIVE IN RICHARDSON Grew up here, too. I should change my stats to reflect that; I always just say "Dallas" when people ask, because it is the easiest point of reference.

On another note, I did write previously about not wanting this thread to be like the others in the aspect of having a ton of posts about people choosing to eat a bunch of junk food and choosing to gain instead of lose and choosing to go off plan (because it's not failing, messing up or falling off the wagon- it's a CHOICE to go backwards instead of forwards). I don't mean I want you to leave if you make a bad choice one afternoon; I DO want you back. If you make a bad food choice, and then immediately regret it and know in your hearts of hearts you DO want to keep moving forward, keep making progress and keep losing weight, I simply want you to acknowledge to yourself that it was a wrong choice and you know the right choice and are at that INSTANT choosing the right choice, which is to pick yourself right back up, turn around and keep marching forward, straining with every effort to slim down and perfect your body, just as you had been doing 30 seconds before making the bad choice.

What I didn't want was people whining, moaning, complaining and detailing/describing their bad choice or what they ate after giving in to temptation. As long as you admit to yourself it was not the right choice for you, you erase it from your mind and come back here and cultivate even more motivation for yourself. You will do this incredible task- you will lose the weight you require of yourself, as long as keep moving ahead; don't turn around and never go back to where you came from. The only way you won't win this is if you turn around; if you make one step in the wrong direction and never come back to us, and you keep choosing the wrong thing after doing it just once. I don't care about once. Pretend it never happened at all, or come on here and tell me you had a rough day and made wrong food choices, but that this very second your head is in the game like never before, and I will love you even more. That is something to be proud of- turning around and continuing to run ahead after taking a few steps back. We can always re-trace a few poor steps; all I want from you is your immediate recommitment the second you know you're doing the wrong thing.

So I'll be the first. I did start this thread. I am getting my sexyback this September. It is still on. I'm blazing like a furnace towards the finish line. I have lost about 7 pounds (as of this morning) with 11.2 to go to ultimate goal weight (115). Today I made several wrong food choices. There's nothing more to say about that, because I cannot change it and I have picked myself up and re-traced a few steps to get back on the right path, and it's angel babies and glitter guns from here on out.

Good night my loves. Stay strong, and keep your goal weight in mind. Don't let a single wrong step multiply- get back on the right track the second you notice you're off.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cloe147
Stats: 264/248.4/164
WOE: Stillmans QWL
Start Date: September 4th, 2011
A hug for all my Stillman sisters

I have had a crazy busy day today! Good news??? I hopped on the scale today and saw that I dropped FOUR POUNDS in just one day after cutting out sugar free stuff! I went from 258.4 to 254.6

I purchased a home cholesterol test and ketosticks today. I am now officially burning fat! Whenever I was struggling with atkins I would wait days and days and days and the ketostick would barely turn pink. Now it's a lovely fucia (moderate), on day four at that.

Dr Stillman is a genius!

Today I went out and bought some tuna pouches. I ate one of those with my vitamins before work and a chicken breast after work. I love the idea of getting some healthy omega-3s in my diet.
cloe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #161
Junior LCF Member

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone.

Without you sharing your experiences and helping newbies like me make better choices I might have been floundering a lot longer than I could have been.

My stillman sisters are also geniuses! I am so blessed to have been acquainted with all of you!

Today at work I was so happy. I know that my huge loss was mostly water, but this diet makes me feel... different somehow. I have so much more energy, my mind is clearer, and I've felt normal for the first time in a long time. Dare I say it, that I am enjoying myself! I feel like I've finally stumbled onto the formula my body needed to get healthy for once.

I couldn't have done it without you gals!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aloha Linz
Stats: 168/161/130 - 5'8"
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/5/2011
Emily - bless your heart for being real & transparent. Bless your heart for the day you've had! So sorry my sweet!! I really understand how frustrating that is....the focus & fixation on the #...."I'm doing everything by the book, WHY isn't it going down?!? Son of a *#$(%!" Our bodies are soooo damn testy & you never really know WHY it's holding onto weight. There's the obvious like sodium, or a binge, or TOM....but there's a million other reasons too which make us all so unique in how we lose. I know you know that, I just want to reassure you with a big HUG! I love your renewed & refreshed attitude. The important thing is you got RIGHT back on, you didn't just throw in the towel (which I do all the time). I am so proud of you & honored to be in this group with you!! I have NO DOUBT you are gonna reach your goal...zero, zilch, nada. Now, no more mistakes or I'm comin' to Tex-ASS and whoppin' ya over the head with a big slab of meat! Huggin you tight my dear friend...

Sigh....Ok I can relax now cause Emily is back!!

Cloe!! Day-um woman!! 4lbs, you GO GIRL!! I love how everyone is responding so well to kickin' the sugar free to the curb!! Enjoy that tuna my friend....and keep up the amazing work!! Huggin you too my dear!! Your words in your last post brought a tear to this chubby southern california girl This group is pretty amazing....I think of y'all all day long.....you keep me strong!!!

Als - Ha ha! Love the picture predicament! It really shows your commitment girl! Solid meals too....way to hang tough!

Erin - thanks for that about the protein shakes! Lately I've been doing whey. I get no issues when I drink rice protein, but 1. I'm out, and 2. it's not as carb clean as the whey. I really don't get cravings, but I've been really HUNGRY. I'm gonna skip it tomorrow & see if it makes a difference. I only drink it around times I lift, and I'm not lifting tomorrow. If it helps, then I can always cut the protein powder & still take the l-glutamine & bcaa's along with a lean protein serving after workout. There, problem solved! Maybe.....

Meals turned out to be this for the day:
Meal 1 - turkey bacon - done
Meal 2 - 4oz tilapia - done
Meal 3 - 4oz filet - done
Meal 4 - protein shake post workout (done)
Meal 5 - tilapia (4oz) - done
Meal 6 - 4oz filet - done

STILL HUNGRY....not cravings....legitimate hunger. Dag Nabbit!!

Otherwise...I'm all good! Crazy power outage happening in the southwest....southern california to mexico to arizona! I am one of the lucky ones that didn't lose it! Grateful!

Yet another edit - forgot to mention I lifted upper body today (I'm trying to journal my days so I can look back for reference...sorry to those I put to sleep!) I am definitely weaker on stillmans....waaaaaaay weaker. I sure feel it though, I may be weak, but I got worked! Chest & shoulders & triceps are trembling & calling me foul names!

xoxoxo

Last edited by Aloha Linz; 09-08-2011 at 09:24 PM..
Aloha Linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pipper
Good morning. Checking in quick. My lap top crashed on me yesterday so I am using DH's before he has to run to work.

Weight this morning was 187.4. Down .6.

9/6 191.6
9/7 189.4
9/8 188
9/9 187.4
Pipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

@ aloha_linz, thank you for your kind words! I will keep them in my heart when I feel tempted. I won't let you down!

I am also checking in really quick. I weighed in this morning at 253.6. Another pound lost!

ETA - Pipper that's fantastic! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Day 4, Down 3 lbs! 156.8

Morning all my skinny chickadees & Happy Friday!!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I stepped on the scale this morning....yesterday I was 159.9, today I was 156.8! WTH?! I think, maybe finally, all the water retention I had is gone. I've been drinking about 170-200 oz of water a day! Don't want my body to think I'm trying to hold onto anything, so reaaaaalllly downing the water. I'm also eating about 6 small meals a day...I think my metabolism is really roaring. I'm really tired today though....i think it has to do with the heat, the long days & early mornings....by Friday, I need to be peeled outta bed & have my eyes propped open with toothpicks! Body is begging & pleading for a big chunk of time I can really rest....soon, I hope!

Today's plan: (all 3-4 oz servings)
Meal 1 - turkey bacon - done
Meal 2 - lean ground beef
Meal 3 - filet
Meal 4 - tuna
Meal 5 - lean ground beef
Meal 6 - if hungr (which I'm sure I will be) filet or tuna

NO WORKOUT - if anything, I will do a walk with my pup. Too tired to do cardio today...and it's my day off of lifting.

Have a stellar day girls & let's stay strong this weekend!!!!

Hunger, hunger go away!!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Thin Commandments

I've been reading other stillman's threads from awhile back & stumbled upon some excerpts from "The Thin Commandments"....a book a lot of the girls would reference for support. Here's a commandment from the book, written out by princessdaisy, that seemed fitting for today:

Commandment Essentials:
*Error control is the essence of weight control
*Don't say 'I blew it' if you make an eating mistake
*Don't undereat in an attempt to compensate for cheating the previous day
*Discover your predictable pattern in eating mistakes
*Use binge-busters to end cravings
*Don't go hungry
*Find something to do, such as reading a book or knitting, to help get your mind off your craving
*Think substitution, not deprivation
*Put a negative association with the foods that tempt you most

"Wouldn't it be great if there were just one thing that made you a winner at weight control? There is. One characteristic marks every winner I've worked with and eludes everyone who doesn't succeed: Those who master weight control learn from their mistakes instead of losing to them" (100).

"You may think that winners make fewer mistakes...The truth is they don't...It's how they deal with their mistakes that makes them winners. They treat a diet slip like any human error. They cut it off, see what went wrong, and take steps to prevent it from happening again...But did you ever think you could make mistakes and STILL LOSE WEIGHT -- in fact, lose all the weight you want? With the right skills, you can. Very few of my clients have perfect weeks, but almost all of them lose weight!" (101).

The Biggest Cause of Excess Pounds Is NOT Food: "It's not even a behavior -- it's a mindset. It's a mental habit that reacts to a diet slip by giving up...When dieters cheat..this one error tends to become a reason to stop ALL their efforts at weight control. Instead of handling it like any human error -- asking, 'What can I learn from this?' -- they say, 'Well, I blew it, I might as well blow the rest of the day (or weekend, or longer). This 'I blew it' syndrome is different from the momentary feeling of 'I blew it' which we all may get after eating too much. Winners certainly have had this feeling about a particular meal or food. But then they become more careful and balance the excess with smart eating. The failures say, 'I blew it' and...their eating gets careless, and this carelessness engulfs the day and often the next day(s)...Something in you says that you might as well eat all you can for the rest of the day so you can 'get it all in' before going back on your diet. I also call this 'the last meal' syndrome and tell my clients: 'It will never be your last meal. You're not being thrown in the dungeon. There will be too much food in your life, never too little. So don't act as if a great famine is about to start'" (103).

Why the "I Blew It" Syndrome is Terminal to Diets
*Sets up an impossible tension in your life: that you have to be either perfect or a failure
*Lets your mental screen go blank, so you shut down everything that you've learned about food management
*Lets mistakes pile up, which drowns your motivation, skews your perspective, and overwhelms your willpower
*Destroys focus on your eating and weight control (Studies all show that staying FOCUSED on your eating behavior is what makes you a winner)
*Is self-defeating. It cuts off learning from the mistake and locks you into a pattern of repeating it
*Only helps you learn that you're gaining weight, which is obvious
*Ruins your chance to cut off the mistake and keep any weight gain small and temporary
*Keeps you from proving to yourself that you CAN stop and correct the error, a tremendous source of empowerment
*Turns a few minutes of unwise eating into something that will take days, months, or even years to make up for. It's not time efficient
*Paralyzes you into a mode of helplessness tht lets one mistake end up becoming thousands of calories
*Doesn't do justice to your intelligence, your life smarts
*Doesn't make you lose weight; it only makes you lose hope. Cutting off the error does the opposite: It builds hope and gives you power
*Doesn't answer the most important question of all: What went wrong in this situation, and what could I do differently?
(104)

ERROR CONTROL IS THE ESSENCE OF WEIGHT CONTROL

The Magic Bullet for Error Control: "The first thing to do after making a mistake is to stop it as soon as you can. Contain the mistake before it turns into an overwhelming series of mistakes...Instead of saying, 'I blew it' say 'Stop now.'...The overwhelming majority of my clients who have made one or two errors during the week but cut them off quickly still lose weight (Yay!) ...That's why it's so important to change your self-talk after an eating mistake...The longer you persist in your eating mistake -- the more chain-eating you do -- the harder it will be to get back on track" (106).

The 24-Hour Secret: "Most people who make a diet mistake will continue the pattern for the rest of the day! I call this the 'slip to sleep' syndrome...If you make a conscious, focused effort not to fall into the pattern for the rest of the day and into the next, the temptation to cheat passes. With good strategy, you can immediately cut it off! You can get through this manageable period of time and make the cheating an isolated event. You end the cycle of bingeing from day to day, avert chain-eating, and do not gain weight from your slips. And that is the 24-Hour Secret" (107).

From Slip to Sleep: The Critical Period: "The essence of weight control is error control, and the essence of error control is managing the period from slip to sleep. If you have success in this short but crucial period, you will have success in getting to yoru optimal weight...Here's the core strategy my clients have found works best during this time:
*Write out what you will eat for the rest of the day, meals as well as snacks. THis is the most successful strategy. Push yourself; force yourself to make this menu.
*Write out tomorrow's menu as well
*Do a brief mental rehersal (explained later) to desensitize you to tohe power of any tempting food before you even encounter it
*Use diversion...Avoid boredom at all costs!
*Commit to the menu you've written, from tht point until you go to bed
(107 -109)

Dealing with the "Day-After" Syndrome
*Start the day with exercise (even if it's only 15 minutes)
*Go over your menu for the day
*Don't undereat!
*Have a fourth, healthy meal to stabilize blood sugar when you're most vulnerable (late afternoon)
*Use visualization: See yourself eating the proper meals and snacks...And try the ultimate visualization: Put an article of clothing you love but is still too tight to wear where you'll see it during the day
*Reduce temptation: Don't go to restaurants you know are danger zones, and avoid food shopping if you can. Get rid of leftovers or give them away. And try not to look at foods that aren't on your menu
*Reach out and keep busy
(108 - 109)

Know Your Pattern, and You Can Predict Your Behavior: "If you know your pattern, you can predict your behavior and develop a plan to control it for the future."

Unlock You REP (Repeating Eating Pattern): "These questions uncover YOUR predictable pattern in eating mistakes. This pattern is important to learn so you can plan the right preventative strategies:
*What type of food? What food started you off? Do you have a history of abusing a particular food?
*What type of mood? What kind of state were you in when you made the mistake -- nervous, sleep-deprived, bored, stressed, angry, frustrated?
*What environment? What place were you in when you made the mistake?
*What people were you with?
*What time was it?
(110 -111)

10 No-Fail Strategies to Prevent Your Eating Mistakes

1) Break availability: You can't eat what's not there! All studies show the more food around; the more food you eat -- and the more you think of food and feel yourself tempted
2) Delay: As time passes, cravings pass or other events capture your attention. If you tell yourself you'lleat the fattening food tonight or tomorrow instead of now, most typically when that time comes, you'll have a lot less interest in it.
3) Use Binge Busters: Sometimes you want to end a craving immediately (sometimes???). That's where these easy-to-carry products come in handy:
*sugar blocker gum: this gum is the most effective craving killer. It deactivates the sweet receptors on the tongue
*Halls Sugar-Free Mentho-Lyptus drops
*Lysterine Breath Strips (or comparable brand)
4) Don't go hungry
5) Avoid packaging temptations: store packaged food in brown paper bags to stop this temptation
6) Use blocking behavior: In psychology...this is a strategy or doing something harmless or positive to make it hard to do some other thing that is harmful or negative. Examples: have a no-eating rule while watching TV or keep your hands busy during that time
7) Diversion
8) Cognitive switching: C.S. means talking to yourself in a new way. All of us carry on a continueing inner dialogue about other people or events or about ourselves. How we talk to ourselves about food either encourages overeating or empowers us to limit or avoid it entirely. The winners at weight control permanently change their thinking as well as their weight. For example, Instead of saying, 'The food looks tempting' switch to 'Do I like it enough to wear it? I've tasted it all before. It didn't make me happy; it only made me fat'. OR instead of saying to yourself 'I'll have just one' switch to 'If I could have just one, why have I been fat for 20 years? I've ben eating for decades, and one was never enough. Stop lying to myself. If I don't take the first little taste, if I don't begin, I won't have any problem'".
9) Think substitution, not deprivation: find "light, delicious alternatives to higher-calorie foods"
10) Mental rehearsal: use this trick to turn us off to the very foods that tempt us the most. First, identify what foods you will find the most tempting in terms of sight and smell in the situation you are preparing for. Then repeat to yourself something like this: I will smell pizza when I walk through the door, or I will smell cookies baking. Or I will see the desserts. And then tell yourself: It doesn't work for me. And I don't want to wear it! This is the food that made me fat. Then put a negative association with the food -- your highest weight, a part of your body where you can't stand the fat. Imagine the food going to your thighs, your derriere, or a bloated face the next day. Imaging the bulging stomach such foods have given you. Keep repeating until you get bored with the repetition and you say to yourself, "Enough already!" The whole thing takes just 1 ot 3 minutes. Most of my clients can do it in a minute. What it does is reprogram your mind against the two strongest elements of cravings: seeing and smelling. So when you walk into the situation, the food won't have the magnetic pull on you any longer.
(111 - 119)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Aloha - That's soooooo awesome! Way to really hit the 150s, you plunged right into it! Almost in the 40s now - that's how it happens, then u hit goal.

Trust me - I know what it feels like to go from 200, then hit the alternate universe of being 120. (It the typical ugly duckling story - the popular guys from highschool who made fun of me where literally begging to take me out and I got
to say NO!

Annnnnnyway

Lawgirl - I lose best when I cycle stillmans and run. But I also cycle (which I'm not currently) to keep up my energy for my 5 mile runs. What I do is extremely low cal stillmans for a minimum of 4 days and a max of 6, then I do a CAD 1 hour meal of balanced food. Cad= carb addict diet. The meal I have is just dinner, just one hour and I eat 1/3 protein, 1/3 vegetable, 1/3 whatever I want. I usually aim for low glycemic options.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Omg! That's our old thread from 2009! Ursula Aka daisy was my low carb BFF! I miss her so much! She was the holy grain of LC knowledge and support.

Thin commandments will totally open your eyes to succeeding at LC, I constantly read it over and over. In fact, I have it in front of me now (holding up my laptop)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lizbob
Stats: 133.6/131.8/115
WOE: LFL
Start Date: 9/26 xmas challenge
Emalily-- I found this "Why the Scales Can Lie" post very informative and based on good science. Why the SCALE CAN LIE : Best Of Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums
Lizbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Accurate scales suggestion

Grrr...I, too, was having trouble finding a scale that was 1) accurate and 2) consistent; couldn't seem to find one at any price, and didn't want a big ol' doctor's scale that has to be recalibrated on a regular basis.
THEN I read a Consumer Reports article evaluating bathroom scales, and ordered their recommended Taylor 7506 from amazon.com 1 1/2 years ago. It cost about $33.00 total, and it's been very dependable. It doesn't change its mind if I obsessively step on it five times in the morning, and it agrees with the scales at the gym and the doctor's office. Note that the same company can manufacture various scales, but they won't all be reliable, and the price is not necessarily an indicator of dependability.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I was going to tell you: what I do instead of weighing myself is to hang up shorts or a skirt in a very small size. I try it on everyother day to see how it keeps fitting. To me, it's more exciting to eat clean knowing those size 2 jeans will fit even easier in the morning. You keep doing that over and over until the shorts/jeans are baggy.

Works everytime.

I hang them up where I can see them everyday, even if it's on the fridge
Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Well, it’s a new morning, and I’m so glad for it!!!! It’s always hard for me to face the world after eating stuff I know I shouldn’t, and way too much of it, but Linz’s post helped me incredibly. Also, a 6-mile walk didn’t hurt! I just ate my first two cans of tuna for breakfast, and I’m thinking the slightly higher calorie level along with no sodium or broth will help me avoid “the freakout” this week. I drank a club soda (that’s water, right?) with it, and I am debating taking my vitamins/supplements. Do you girls notice a difference in cravings and loss with and without them? Now in my no-weighing phase, I can’t say that “I feel thinner” or look thinner this AM, because of yesterday afternoon/evening, but I hope to feel like that in a couple of days. Yesterday I felt pretty smokin’ hot, and I had gotten all dressed up and did makeup and wore heels and a skirt for school, and I think I even convinced my Atkin’s-lovin’ mother, who knows my food struggles and that I’ve only been doing Stillman’s a week, because when I came home she had eaten one of my tuna packets for lunch! That made me feel good ☺ For me, a huge measurement of how fast and well I’m losing weight is when I wake up and spend an hour getting ready for school or work and wear something hot but not necessarily comfortable, and wear makeup. It’s just an urge that I love, and I know that when it hits, I’ve made it to “feeling skinny”, because any day prior to that, I wouldn’t voluntarily get dressed up or even showered. So now I get to wait in excitement for the day I just can’t wait to get all dolled up for school, because that means I have lost weight!

Cloe- I’m such a proud sista right now!!!! You’re incredible. Sugar-free stuff is so tempting and delicious, so that is a hard step in the right direction. 4 pounds!!! And another this morning! You’re unstoppable.

Linz- Honey, what would I do without you?? You make my heart smile. I’m sorry you’re so hungry; but way to lose 3 pounds!! That’s wonderful. Thanks for not hating me for being the first to make a mistake; I’m sticking with you all the way!!! That excerpt is incredible; I am now either going to the library or Barnes and Noble to buy that book!!! You are so encouraging and keep me strong!

Pipper, congratulations on your 0.6 loss!

Liz- loved that article; thanks!

Erin- thanks for the suggestion- I’m going to do this with my size 6 Old Navy skirt! When it is super loose, I’m going to weigh myself ☺
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Linz--Thanks for the wonderful article. I've printed out several copies of it . We should add up how much we Stillman Sistahs' have lost collectively this past week.
Congrats to everyone who has done so well.
The biggest relief for me is that I no longer have food cravings since I've gone cold turkey on carbs. On Fridays at work there are donuts and breakfast tacos everywhere-today they don't even tempt me.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Day Two

Hello All! Great job on pushing through and congrats on all the wonderful weight loss!

Em - Glad to see you're getting our mojo back! Don't you just love it when people poo-poo your actions and then come around to follow suit? That's because the proof is in the pudding, or in the tuna in your case!

I was very happy to see 130.8 on the scale this morning - that's a loss of 1.2 lbs. for my first day. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to see a loss today because I had eaten so poorly on Tuesday and my carb-laden indiscretions tend to show up about 48 hours after consumption. So, I am very pleased to see the scale go down. Like Erin, I use my clothes as a gauge for weight loss, but I am truly a slave to the scale. I use my first morning weigh in as my "official" weight, but I sometimes weigh myself 4 or 5 times a day and I actually enjoy seeing the fluctuations. I know...I'm a weirdo!

Here is my planned menu for today:
Breakfast - 2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch - canned low fat chicken breast
Snack - cottage cheese shake. This is cottage cheese, ice, vanilla extract and stevia blended well in a blender.
Dinner - canned low fat chicken breast

So far, I have only had breakfast and I'm actually not feeling very hungry, so we'll see how the rest of the day goes.

And now, without further ado, here are my before photos. I apologize for the fuzziness, my BB doesn't take very good photos. I'm going to take better photos with my digital camera and re-post sometime this weekend. Also, you will notice that my belly button is what I call "extra deep and droopy." That is because I have a road map of stretchmarks on my tummy from my pregnancies (darn kids!). This is another reason I want to lose weight. Because of the stretchmarks and loose skin, my stomach is only truly flat when there is NO fat on it. Ok, I guess that was a little more "ado."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Before.jpg (89.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Side Before.jpg (80.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Science behind Stillman's?

I posted this in the other September thread, but wanted to post in here in case you ladies don't really look there...

I don't have the QWL book and am not a big sciene geek, but I am just wondering why Stillman's works (if it does??)... is it just because you are eating less calories?? I found this quote in a post in the Main Lobby...

"While in ketosis, eating a higher % of fat is actually better because only 10% of fat consumed eventually is converted into glucose as opposed to protein in which up to 58% of it can be converted into glucose, albeit very slowly, and probably won't trigger an insulin spike (Check out The Ketogenic Diet page 53-54 for more info by Lyle McDonald). Nonetheless, if you are not in ketosis, or are having trouble maintaining it, it could be due to overcunsumption of protein. For example, 58% of your 150 grams of protein is approx 92 grams of glucose that your protein could be eventually turning into, combine with your 30 carbs (100% of which is glucose) means your body could technically be converting and recieving a total of about 120 grams of glucose per day. While this is still excellent in terms of LC WOE (for maintenance stages), it could be enough to glucose to kick you out of ketosis."

Now, I don't know anything about this.. but this poster sounds like she does.

Any thoughts?? Or if someone has the QWL book, is there insight in there?
I am just wondering if it would be better just to do Stillman's, but with good fats in there too.. so the protein consumption wouldn't be so high... I've heard it's hard on your liver too.

Maybe it 'works' because your cals are so low on Stills??

(PS.. I say 'works' above because to be honest, I haven't noticed any faster weight loss on Stillman's than I had on Atkins... but I am still chugging along with my eggs and chicken breasts until the wedding... after that, I will go back to Atkins and see how that goes for the rest of my weight loss -- it's just more attainable in my everyday life -- something I can actually maintain.)

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Hi Macc! I, too, have done Atkins before and I have personally noticed much faster weight loss and easier maintenance on Stillman's. But to address your post about protein, there are times when I use heavy whipping cream while on Stillman's so I'll end up eating high protein, moderate fat, super low carb and it does not slow my losses. I can't recall the science behind it, but I have read that since your body has to work harder to convert protein, the conversion process actually helps with fat loss. Also, I think that very low carbs with Stillman's has a lot to do with why it works so well. Of course, everyone is different so someone else may not have the same experience.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als9503 View Post
Hi Macc! I, too, have done Atkins before and I have personally noticed much faster weight loss and easier maintenance on Stillman's. But to address your post about protein, there are times when I use heavy whipping cream while on Stillman's so I'll end up eating high protein, moderate fat, super low carb and it does not slow my losses. I can't recall the science behind it, but I have read that since your body has to work harder to convert protein, the conversion process actually helps with fat loss. Also, I think that very low carbs with Stillman's has a lot to do with why it works so well. Of course, everyone is different so someone else may not have the same experience.
On "Atkins" (I guess I can categorize what I was doing as such) I was eating induction levels -- under 20g carbs per day... my calorie percentages were about 65% fat, 5% carbs, and 30% protein... about 1500 calories per day? I can't remember the calorie averages but it was something like that. On Stills, I have just cut out all butter, oils, veggies, creams, dairy, etc... not fun or easy for me at all
Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Macc-
Stillman says in the book that basically, only eating protein is not appetizing and keeps your from being hungry (because of no carbs and no fat), therefore you eat WAY less (400-900 calories, he's assuming). So I do think that no-carb produces faster weight loss chemically than the same number of calories comprised of carbohydrates, and he's also banking on taking out fat to make it also a low calorie diet.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the insight guys! Just for grins, I asked the 'knowledgeable poster' about this... here is her response:

"I am not familliar with Stillman's diet but from what you describe:

(1) It should work by the same mechanism as Atkins (Ketosis). Lack of dietary carbs causes you to get the carbs you need for your brain from glucose stores in your liver. Once you liver is depeleted, your body then turns to manaufacturing its own glucose to fuel the brain's glucose requirement. It does this from gluconeogensis which is fueld by your dietary protein assuming it is abundant. The rest of the body (cept a few other systems like red blood cells) can run entirely off of ketones, which are ceated by breaking down fats (either eaten or stored in your fat cells). As Stillman's limits carbs, it should cause Ketosis in your body.

(2) Carbs cause insulin spikes, but the lack of insulin triggers glucogon spikes which causes fats to be released from fat cells to fuel ketosis in the liver. Stillman's might be trying to capitalize on this process (lypolysis) to fuel the ketosis, rather than relying on dietary fat intake to help fuel ketosis... I am just guessing here though. In the short term, I think it will work (or at least Ketosis will do the job anyway, and Stillmans should get you into ketosis).

(3) Some disadvantages I see, are that Fats (especially saturated), and cholesterol, are needed inorder to build and repair cell membranes and other bodily components. Limiting them below what has been a traditional human diet throughout our evolution will probably have negative side effects... While this might be okay to do for losing weight (fat) I would think it would unsustainable for maintaining a weight (once you run out of fat stores). Additionally, our teeth indicate we are omnivores, not carnivores, so the answer for the perfect diet is some combination of meat and plants, not an exclusive kingdom.

(4) If you are not able to get into or maintain Ketosis, it could be from ingestion of too much protein, which can technically be converted into glucose at the rate of up to 58% as compared to fats which convert only at the rate of up to 10%. This is probably a concern more for the long term though. See The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonal for more details on this aspect, as he can explain it better than I can.

(5) Fats, in general produce a more full feeling for many people, so they don't feel hungry. Additionally some advocate that thermodynamics may or may not have a role in our body fat storage. I think there is some truth to it, so my only concern would be that if you are going to change your diet up with little margin of time for correction, you may want to make sure the number of calories you consume should not be increased just because you start consumming more fat and less protein. Remember, each gram of fat has 9 caloires, while protein is 4 calories, and 3500 calories is essentially 1 lb of weight.

(6) Also, try to relax, as Cortisol (stress hormone) can block glucogon and prevent lypolysis from occuring...

(7) Just watch the whole "net carb" thing in that some companies claim something dosn't count as a carb, when your body actually decides to treat the substance otherwise (like sugar alchohols)."
Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

@ emalily, I use the chewable vitamins because they seem to absorb better. Other vitamins have made my stomach hurt but just one tasty chewable from a kid's bottle seems to work wonderfully! They are sweetened with aspartame so there's no sugar in them either which is nice. Although I still count one as a carb.

So far I haven't had a problem with cravings or stalls. I was worried about the same thing but so far so good. I only had cravings when I was inhaling sugar free crystal lite and sodium packed deli meat. lol Chicken and tuna are working so well!