Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #121
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Gotta look into the Protein Power thing--it sounds like something I'd like!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Stats: Lost 100 lbs. & 6 sizes; 30 lbs. and 2 sizes left!
WOE: Low cal, mod carb, and cycle it all
Start Date: Summer 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivibee View Post
I've been interested in intuitive eating but it terrifies me! That's great you're success with it! I love the idea of it.

I too, lost weight on Atkins - 30lbs and then nothing, for six months, I just loved loved loved eating cheese. I've come to realize, dairy is not a good source for fats. The maintenance way of eating Paleo - is non-dairy and I think that's probably best for me. It's hard because I do love my cheeses.

If you do QWL, follow it strictly, eat when you're hungry but just from the list, you will most definitely lose weight and very quickly.
I love cheese too! But I find the more I truly listen to my body - not my head cravings for junk! and important thing to note - the less food I need. I used to devour a great deal of cheese. And now, just an ounce or less is truly enough to satisfy me. I also used to drink a lot of milk, and now I hardly ever want milk, unless it's in my coffee. Just this week I realized I no longer crave sugar and junk food like I used to. A salad and steak or some eggs sounds absolutely incredible. This is coming from a serious dessert-aholic who never chose savory or nourishing food if there was a piece of cake present! LOL

I think it can be scary, but probably because we've been surrounded by diets and nutritionists for so long that we don't know how to think for ourselves. Sometimes it's slow, and it's certainly not measurable in the same way diets are. But I find you learn about yourself and your body in a way that diets never allow you to. You learn to be independent, responsible, and truly free about your eating! Also, I'm a Christian, and learning to use prayer and my Bible instead of eating to cope with my issues was a spiritual journey that changed my life. Plus, there's nothing like feeling wonderful about saying "no" to food because you truly aren't hungry or don't like a certain dish!

Thanks for the encouragement and thoughts about QWL. I am going to follow QWL as strictly as I can, taking it one day at a time. I may intervene with a small carb refeed if my blood pressure gets to low (I've blacked out before when I LC'ed because it lowers my BP), or I find my brain slows down and I can't react or think sharply enough. I'm starting a new job this week and I can't afford to work through a lot of low carb brain fog, if you know what I mean.

My blog http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/bl...-vintageously/
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #123
Big Yapper!!!!

Sooooooo don't miss pasta or rice or potatoes!!!! Not even a little bit!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
OMG I love paleo. But I would be the cavegirl who owned a cow. Love dairy. It will be a paleo/atkins mix if I ever get to goal.
LOL! Me too. I don't feel great on dairy, but I certainly enjoy it!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #125
Big Yapper!!!!

I sooo agree with that about the food in nature thing!!! It's the combination of high fat and high sugar that's the real killer. Which is every fast food place and every pre packed food!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Gotta look into the Protein Power thing--it sounds like something I'd like!!
Actually, I think you would. It's a little less restrictive than Atkins. There is no induction period. Phase 1 (weight loss phase) is simply 30 net carbs per day until you reach a place where you need to reintroduce a bit more carbs and finally reach a maintenance phase.

Plus, those 30 net carbs are yours to divide up between your meals however you like, eating whatever you like. If you want to spend your Cs on a bit of bread or some Skittles you can! You just have to make sure and eat enough protein. Personally, I never ate as much protein as they suggested. They also think that fat and calories count. So unlike Atkins, you're not encouraged to eat half of a jar of mayo a day (I'm being facetious) or use an entire stick of butter to cook one egg. They definitely take a more moderate stance on fat consumption.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

OMG why didn't they just put snickers bars where the fruit is...........it's the same thing!
I don't think it is!! I really don't think you can compare a snickers bar to fruit. Yeah I know they say it's nature's candy but I mean fruit does have some redeeming features even the high carb stuff! (it's def not for pple who are really sensitive to carbs) A snickers bar-nada!!!
I know we disagree on this, CC!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Is it not the protein that keeps you feeling fuller for longer???

I did that fat fast once or twice and I was unbelievably hungry!
I think I would be unbelievably queasy and uncomfortable if I did a fat fast even for one day. I find fat to be filling and satiating. A tablespoon of dressing or butter on my vegetables goes a long way.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

On my plate I'd def be swapping the grain for dairy!! And my fruits would be a lot smaller than my veg part!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh and ya know I think Atkins did theee biggest diservice to low-carb eating! You mention low carb and bam-poeple go oh all the eggs bacon and sausage cooked in lard!!! Aaagh!! And all those Atkins products!!!

As ye can guess I'll never be an Atkins girl!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

our perfect world
Coooooool!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Oooooooh I could use those 30 carbs for Nutella so!!!!!!!! Nooooooo That would be the slippery slope!!!! ......but interesting!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh I def think calories count!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Vintageously View Post
I think I would be unbelievably queasy and uncomfortable if I did a fat fast even for one day. I find fat to be filling and satiating. A tablespoon of dressing or butter on my vegetables goes a long way.
I wasn't quesy ---I was just soooooooo hungry!!!! Have ya seen an ounce of tuna??!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wasn't quesy ---I was just soooooooo hungry!!!! Have ya seen an ounce of tuna??!!!
LOL! You're hilarious!

So girls...I had breakfast of 1% cottage cheese (no FF in my dairy case, so I settled on 1% just for now) and an hour later I'm feeling hungry - like stomach pinched hungry, as well as tired. Is this normal???
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #136
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
LOL! You're hilarious!

So girls...I had breakfast of 1% cottage cheese (no FF in my dairy case, so I settled on 1% just for now) and an hour later I'm feeling hungry - like stomach pinched hungry, as well as tired. Is this normal???
Yeah it can be!! In all honestly I never really did get that no hunger thing from Ketosis. Well maybe at the beginning but not for a year or more now. It comes and goes! You can either--ride it out!! Drink some water or hot tea or something---or you could just go eat something QWL friendly!!!

Oh and I'm always tired on very strict QWL! My body likes some veggies!!

Keep drinking water to help with the tiredness!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swella73
Stats: 230/199.6/165
WOE: Atkins - converting to HHCG!!
Start Date: January 18, 2011
So far so good! First day on Stillmans and I am feeling good. No hunger but I am sure that is from the hHCG...(I love that stuff)!

B: 2 HB Eggs
L: chicken breast & HB Egg
S: HB Egg
D: ?? Probably 2 pieces of Tilapia

Drinking water and Yerba Mate tea all day and BOY am I running to the restroom!!!

Let's see how this evening goes, tomorrow I have to eat out for lunch but I already plan to have a chicken breast and water!! I CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Menu looks good Connie!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #139
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok mine was
B: nf natural yoghurt. (60 cals and 6grms carbs)
L: nf cottage cheese. (124 cals and 3grms carbs)
D: can of tuna. (158cals and O grms carbs)

And lots of tea and water!!! Now ye can see how much I love dairy!!
Old 06-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sallyb
Stats: 210/193/154
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: May 2011
Quote:
In my opinion the fastest loss comes from QWL, the second fastest from Dukan's Cruise phase and the least quickest is Atkins! .......now whichever one keeps you sane is another thing!!!
Thanks GT
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swella73
Stats: 230/199.6/165
WOE: Atkins - converting to HHCG!!
Start Date: January 18, 2011
Quote:
Menu looks good Connie!!
THANKS!!

I love your quote at the bottom of your signature. It's been resounding in my head every since I read it on yesterday!!

"Nothing taste as good as thin feels...not even chocolate!!" I LOVE IT!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vivibee
Stats: 5'8 226/144/140
WOE: Low carb with Stillman's QWL
Start Date: january 14, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
Vivi:

I've done a lot of research over the years, too. .I'm no expert. but I've tried just about every single diet out there. . Even Weight Watchers (I'm a lifetimer). .recommends that you get at least 3 servings of fat a day . . the good kind. .In fact, they suggest that you stir it in your food or cook with it or?? IDK. . I was never really good at doing it, but the last time I did Stillmans, I did try incorporating some CO oil. . I didn't notice immediate effects, but felt a little better and do remember being a lot more regular. . it just keeps things moving and fat is needed for cell rejuvenination, etc. . I think most things are good in moderation except nasty, over-processed carbs. .

We have to think and eat like the caveman and become hunter/gatherers. ..

BTW: did you guys hear that they are changing the "food pyramid". . About time!! It'll be interesting to see what the new one looks like. .I guarantee more protein and more veggies. ha!!
it's about time, there is such a clear link between the introduction of the Food Pyramid and the rise of the obesity epidemic. It's sinister! I'm curious to see how they revamp it. The best thing about coconut oil is it's very stable, doesn't go rancid like so many other oils. Plus, it's soo yummy!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vivibee
Stats: 5'8 226/144/140
WOE: Low carb with Stillman's QWL
Start Date: january 14, 2011
Quote:

OMG why didn't they just put snickers bars where the fruit is...........it's the same thing!
Ugh, of course, Grains would make the cut.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #144
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swella73 View Post
THANKS!!

I love your quote at the bottom of your signature. It's been resounding in my head every since I read it on yesterday!!

"Nothing taste as good as thin feels...not even chocolate!!" I LOVE IT!!
i keep having to repeat that to myself!! Ya know until I actually truly believe it!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FattyPatty
Stats: 233.5---->125
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: July 1, 2014
Hello Ladies-

Could someone please enlighten me on coconut oil? Do you drink it straight from the bottle/can or cook with it or what exactly?

I did buy some type of coconut milk (had solid fat at the top of the can) but I'm not sure what exactly I bought and frankly I just mixed it with some sugar free pudding mix and whipped it up into chocolate mousse...tasted great but sent me on a carb binge I'm sad to say...

Brum
Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrumbyBabe View Post
Hello Ladies-

Could someone please enlighten me on coconut oil? Do you drink it straight from the bottle/can or cook with it or what exactly?

I did buy some type of coconut milk (had solid fat at the top of the can) but I'm not sure what exactly I bought and frankly I just mixed it with some sugar free pudding mix and whipped it up into chocolate mousse...tasted great but sent me on a carb binge I'm sad to say...

Brum
Coconut oil is not quite the same as coconut milk. The coconut milk has some coconut oil in it - which is why you have to shake it. But you're better off buying the virgin coconut oil. It's more concentrated and you can use it to replace butter and other oils very easily. Saute veggies and meat, use it in place of butter on your toast or eggs, make nondairy ice cream (wonderful!!) or stir it into your morning coffee or hot chocolate. You can add some dairy or nondairy to make it creamy, and even throw in a packet of Splenda. Just depends on your WOE.

Another good use for it is to make chocolate bark. Just melt coconut oil with unsweetened or bittersweet (75% minimum cocoa solids) chocolate and add non calorie sweetener to taste. Pour it into greased ice cube trays and freeze it. Very, very good. You can add almonds to make it like an Almond Joy. I also like to mix it with peanut butter and Splenda/stevia for a peanut butter version.

Coconut milk is good to and you can certainly use it. You'll just have to consume more of it compared to the more concentrated oil. Not sure why it sent you on a carb binge. Maybe there are some carbs in the milk? I know the oil is carb free. A lot of low carbers and Paleo enthusiasts use it as a milk/cream substitute. It's quite tasty.

My family loves it, but I haven't eaten it in a while. You should be able to find it with other oils in a larger supermarket, or in the Asian section. Virgin coconut oil is best. The refined stuff isn't as good.

Last edited by Live Vintageously; 06-02-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swella73 View Post

Drinking water and Yerba Mate tea all day and BOY am I running to the restroom!!!
I LOVE yerba mate tea. But it really, really dehydrates me quickly. I can only drink a cup of it occasionally or else I get lightheaded and poop out.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
One word: Vitamins!!!

Seriously. . will give you the energy booste and get your over the lag especially in the very beginning while your body is going through carb withdrawal. .

and. . just to point out. . I love that ya'all were talking about the "cravings" and lack thereof. . It is amazing how unsatisfying those carby carbs really are. . even while I was off program. . I was constantly feeling guilty about eating the processed crap and would then "start" over in the Am. . (I tried the WW thing again but I could never really get my carbs under control . . I ate way too many and then would feel terrible and bloated. .). .

I'm sooo waiting for it to pass..

Drank 3 big waters today so far. .33.8 oz each . so I'm up to 101! No wonder I'm floating to the bathroom every five minutes~!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: essence
Stats: 268/268/175
WOE: protein power/atkin 72
Start Date: December 3, 2013
Quote:
Actually, I think you would. It's a little less restrictive than Atkins. There is no induction period. Phase 1 (weight loss phase) is simply 30 net carbs per day until you reach a place where you need to reintroduce a bit more carbs and finally reach a maintenance phase.

Plus, those 30 net carbs are yours to divide up between your meals however you like, eating whatever you like. If you want to spend your Cs on a bit of bread or some Skittles you can! You just have to make sure and eat enough protein. Personally, I never ate as much protein as they suggested. They also think that fat and calories count. So unlike Atkins, you're not encouraged to eat half of a jar of mayo a day (I'm being facetious) or use an entire stick of butter to cook one egg. They definitely take a more moderate stance on fat consumption.
I think u wld love it.. I know i love it!!! And i really cld eat that way forever... But my pregnancy thru me off
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Sooooooo don't miss pasta or rice or potatoes!!!! Not even a little bit!!
me neither for the most part, Dreamfields about once a month. And I still feel like crap, bloaty and gassy, after having it.
Quote:
LOL! Me too. I don't feel great on dairy, but I certainly enjoy it!
Surprisingly it doesn't affect me even tho dad and grannie were LI.
Quote:

One thing you have to remember is that unlike other LC diets, Stillman does NOT require excersize. The big kicker.
Quote:
I don't think it is!! I really don't think you can compare a snickers bar to fruit. Yeah I know they say it's nature's candy but I mean fruit does have some redeeming features even the high carb stuff! (it's def not for pple who are really sensitive to carbs) A snickers bar-nada!!!
I know we disagree on this, CC!
no we don't, I was just being cheeky! But the way they push fruit on the kids really pees me off......one serving a day would be more than sufficient. It sgould be regarded as a treat, not as a staple. That's why in the early days oranges and clementines were a huge deal at Christmas.
Quote:
Oh and ya know I think Atkins did theee biggest diservice to low-carb eating! You mention low carb and bam-poeple go oh all the eggs bacon and sausage cooked in lard!!! Aaagh!! And all those Atkins products!!!

As ye can guess I'll never be an Atkins girl!!!
the company after he sold it brought you all the products. Atkins was pretty much an all natural whole foods type of guy.
Quote:
LOL! You're hilarious!

how much did you eat????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivibee View Post
it's about time, there is such a clear link between the introduction of the Food Pyramid and the rise of the obesity epidemic. It's sinister! I'm curious to see how they revamp it. The best thing about coconut oil is it's very stable, doesn't go rancid like so many other oils. Plus, it's soo yummy!
the whole deal is sinister......our nutritional guidelines are brought to us by food lobbyists and business people.......not a dietician or nutritionnist in sight.........not that they know any better.
Closed Thread