Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #871
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ailuj5
Stats: 135/135/113 (5'2")
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: June 22, 2011
*** The treadmill took a lot of effort because I've physically been so tired. That's what I meant to add in there. I know this is very common in the beginning with low-carb, and I assume that's the biggest coalition as to why you needn't exercise while doing it at first. The lack of carbs alone will wear you out!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #872
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailuj5 View Post
Hello! How is everyone doing today?

Two quick questions:

I work again tomorrow, (I work with a catering company) and I need some suggestions as to what you guys pack/bring for snacks and meals when you're at work or just out for the whole day in general? I work all weekend, and it'll most likely be for the entire day. The only thing with this diet that's kinda tricky is meat in the summertime... if you get my drift. Do you guys go all out and bring an ice-pack to keep your food nice or what? Haha

And turkey burgers! I read that a lot of people like to eat those on this, and I for one LOVE and have been CRAVING one of those lately. I was at the store yesterday and looking for them, and I could only find ones that had like 8 g of fat per burger-- is that okay? What's the acceptable fat ratio when it comes to these?

Thanks guys! Hope everyone is truckin' along just fine
Don't really have a great answer for that as I'm always near a fridge!! But I think the easiest things are HB eggs and tuna pouches!
If I'm going shopping for the day or am in town then I buy a packet of chicken pieces but they wouldn't be in my purse for a long time though. If you're near a store maybe you could do that on your lubchbreak.

About the burger-dunno!!!! I reckon one every so often would be ok. I personally wouldn't make it an everyday thing. But it's still ver low carb and low enough fat.
I wish Stills had given proper guidelines for what he meant by low fat.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #873
Junior LCF Member

Ooh good idea about the tuna and chicken pouches. I'm going shopping in a little while and I'll definitely be adding those to the list!

Yeah I know I wish he had guidelines for "low fat" too. It's so confusing because if you eat his "unlimited" meat during the day the fat content is going to add up anyway, and it's really hard to find enough "low fat" meats to keep the overall count low. Like the turkey burgers, for instance, at 8g for one you'd think that's "high", but yet it's turkey and turkey is one of the learner meats.

And the part that confuses me the most is cheese. Most typically, at 0 carbs and 10g of fat a serving, why isn't cheese okay if unlimited meat is?! THE FAT WOULD ALL ADD UP!

*Shrugs* Ohh well if it's in his rules though, it's in his rules. I have faith in this. Just don't even get me started on how he says low fat cottage cheese is okay (6 carbs a serving... really? Or maybe he just means like 1/8 of a serving? Hahaha! I don't get it!)

DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I am liking this so far. I really am! I can eat all the chicken I want, and that pleases me.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #874
Big Yapper!!!!

As far as I know for weight loss-just from reading posts and things--2 ways works the best---an extremely high fat diet with only moderate protein, so something like Atkins fat fast or the Kekwick diet----or a high protein very low fat diet, so Stills and Dukan.
The problem I see with the high fat one is that it'll be really easy to go way over on calories, cos I still reckon at the end it does eventually boil down to calories in versus calories out, even on low carb(you see a lot of people have to lower calories to lose more weight)
I think you run into trouble, as in stall, when it's kind of a mixture of the two, neither really high fat (85% of cals from fat) or really low fat.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #875
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by als9503 View Post
GT, my BF says the same thing! Lol! He's Irish (dad) and Italian (mom) and got Irish skin (super pale) and eyes (azure blue) and Italian hair (dark brown) He wants to be tan and is always talking about "getting some color" and I always say, "You got some right here!" I know, ridiculously silly!
Italian???? I'd take that too!!! both my parents are irish!!! So I have pale white skin-that's almost grey and see through, blue eyes, and ehem blonde hair(helped along the way!) I do have freckles-I absolutely hate them with a passion, even though they're very light--don't have many because I don't tan--only cos I want to age well-If the sun didn't age the skin I would sit in it all day!!! Another reason I don't like people with dark skin--they age waaaaaaay better!!,
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #876
Big Yapper!!!!

Eating tuna--oh kill me now!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #877
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
*** The treadmill took a lot of effort because I've physically been so tired. That's what I meant to add in there. I know this is very common in the beginning with low-carb, and I assume that's the biggest coalition as to why you needn't exercise while doing it at first. The lack of carbs alone will wear you out!
While your body is adjusting to burning fat rather than burning carbs, you won't really have any energy at all. It's called induction flu. So I wouldn't bother for the first 3 or 4 days.
Tanya will prob say lay off the exercise, Stills works well all by itself!! you don't have a lot to lose so I reckon you'll do fine without it!
I on the other hand think you should do sone-definitely if you like it and are used to it!! I exercised from day1-mainly for toning but because I had lots to lose it was far more important.
I think it's diet for weight loss and exercising for shaping!!
But lots here to no exercise and lose really well. So it's up to you!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #878
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yeah!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #879
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Ooh good idea about the tuna and chicken pouches. I'm going shopping in a little while and I'll definitely be adding those to the list!

Yeah I know I wish he had guidelines for "low fat" too. It's so confusing because if you eat his "unlimited" meat during the day the fat content is going to add up anyway, and it's really hard to find enough "low fat" meats to keep the overall count low. Like the turkey burgers, for instance, at 8g for one you'd think that's "high", but yet it's turkey and turkey is one of the learner meats.

And the part that confuses me the most is cheese. Most typically, at 0 carbs and 10g of fat a serving, why isn't cheese okay if unlimited meat is?! THE FAT WOULD ALL ADD UP!

*Shrugs* Ohh well if it's in his rules though, it's in his rules. I have faith in this. Just don't even get me started on how he says low fat cottage cheese is okay (6 carbs a serving... really? Or maybe he just means like 1/8 of a serving? Hahaha! I don't get it!)

DON'T GET ME WRONG THOUGH, I am liking this so far. I really am! I can eat all the chicken I want, and that pleases me.
He said though LEAN meats so they wouldn't rack up the fat content. I presume he meant chicken breast as opposed to wings or thighs etc. I only eat chick or turkey breasts. And in burgers well it's a lucky dip!!! Again he said LEAN fish, tuna has no fat or a gramm but salmon has something like 20 per 100g. And the eggs I probably think he meant max 2or 3 yolks. I know Dukan says this now. Again egg whites are unlimited because they're fat free!!
About the cheese-again he said fat free cottage cheese, and something called farmers cheese(have no idea what that is!) he def didn't say chedder etc!

Honestly I don't think it's rocket science!!! Just keep it as lean as possible, always choose lower fat cuts of meat over higher ones, keep eggs to a minimum and The only cheese I would eat would be ff cottage cheese( though again I would watch for that because a lot of people say dairy stalls them)

You'll drive yourself crazy if you over analize it!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #880
Junior LCF Member

Haha very true GT you can drive yourself crazy thinking and reading too much into it! Don't worry-- I'm just following the rules and trusting it

And Tanya! No wonder you could eat several turkey burgers in one sitting! I haven't had these in so long but I forgot how good and quick they go! Making my second one now... thank GODDDD for a high protein diet! I love meat!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #881
Big Yapper!!!!

Mmmmm!!! Yeah I never thought I'd love ground beef as much as I do!! I could eat lbs of the stuff!!....i stay far far away...........most of the time!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: akagal20
Stats: 172.2/155.8/145(Height 5'8)
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 18, 2014
Quote:

AL-

ok this is how you need to think about this
You are DEFINITELY over analyzing, and there is no need to do that.
What I like best about this diet is that it is easy and simple. Do not drive yourself up the wall with all this minute stuff.

Find a simple menu of items that are on plan and eat those only and just keep rotating them
For example the turkey burgers? You need to just look for ground turkey meat, you dont have to have the actual pre made turkey patties. I always buy the Ultra lean turkey meat in the stores, which is WAY less than 8g fats per burger, and then I make the burgers or sometimes I eat the ground turkey in a big bowl.

Second, there are TONS of lean meats you can eat, please refer to stillmans book for a laundry list, but for example I eat turkey, tuna, chicken, various types of fish, shrimp, lobster, scallops...the list goes on and on.

This diet is SO simple and just let it work for it, dont get so wrapped up.
Eat your turkey bacon and hardboiled eggs for breakfast,
Have a bit of cottage cheese or string cheese here and there if you can, Also have some grilled chicken, even a steak is ok, sparingly....

ok and one last yet important bit, do not worry about counting calories, or fat grams and all that. I never ever did that, and I have been just fine... eat your lean meats, your eggs, your approved cheeses, and diet sodas, water, etc etc, and you are right as rain.
This will work for you!
Your appetite will adjust, at the beginning you do eat a lot of meat and maybe intake more fat than you should , but as you progress your hunger will go down and you will have very little overall and you will be fine...stay focused, its too early for you to get so bogged down!

-Tanya

( Also exercise is completely and utterly NOT needed until you hit a stall...i always say, keep exercise as your ace in the hole to break a stall, and also its important for maintenance!)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #883
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Mmmmm!!! Yeah I never thought I'd love ground beef as much as I do!! I could eat lbs of the stuff!!....i stay far far away...........most of the time!!!!!!
right there with you
I havent had plain ground beef in a long while,Deer meat tastes similar except 100 times more lean, so I eat deer
Old 06-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks akagal20!

Oh you work events too? Are you a server as well?

Two more quick things-- I'm curious as to if you cut out coffee completely in the first two weeks or did you still have it? I've been trying to go cold turkey... it's def. tough. I love coffee! I had a little yesterday but black and that is still completely new to me. I haven't had the cream like I usually do since starting this and I was wondering if anyone still had the cream in the beginning and lost as much.

Also, exercise. Are you supposed to lay off it for the first two weeks? I used to be an exercise addict-- no joke, went wayyy too much-- and I have been trying to cut down this summer anyways because it increases my appetite wayy too much and I'm just sick of living at the gym. I tried simply walking on the treadmill for 20 mins today and that even took a lot of effort. I remember in the past when I did a low-carb diet I barely exercised and still lost tons. I feel like this is one of the few diet exceptions where exercise isn't as important; it really is about what you eat.

Thanks for your answer about the turkey burgers and meal planning. I'll def. have to start packing things on ice from now on.
Ail-

hi again,

ok as far as coffee, per stillmans rule you do not Have to cut coffee. I am not sure why on earth you would do that!
As far as cream, I never cut cream completely and I have lost just fine. I did cut BACK and use less cream but it was never truly ever cut out. Try to cut a little cream here and there, and see what happens. JUst have 1 cup of coffee in the morning, put in less creamer than usual and you will be just fine. No worry on that. It doesnt look like you have a tremendous amount of weight to lose so I wouldnt think creamer cutting is going to be the determining factor here. I am a big fan of trying not to cut too much too soon, it will only backfire. Hold on to the creamer, but just cut back

In reference to exercise, please cut back. see my other posts, its pointless right now, let Stillmans work his magic on you and add your workouts later when your weight loss stops and you need a jump start!

you have never met a more serious workout addict than me, and even now i only bring myself to the gym 3 times per week for cardio. with this diet you dont need it, you just dont, unless you are trying to for toning and sculptin, which you shouldnt be worried about in the first few weeks of Stillmans anyhow. You have enough on your plate with learning the plan, menus, energy, fatigue, etc etc
Relax, nix the gym, get your menus right, let the weight fall off, then maybe in a few weeks get back to some exercise.
I did it, and it worked flawlessly.. I look as if i live in the gym, yet I hardly lift a finger!

i love Stillmans

-tAnya
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Haha very true GT you can drive yourself crazy thinking and reading too much into it! Don't worry-- I'm just following the rules and trusting it

And Tanya! No wonder you could eat several turkey burgers in one sitting! I haven't had these in so long but I forgot how good and quick they go! Making my second one now... thank GODDDD for a high protein diet! I love meat!!!
Ail

I work as a tradeshow model at events, conventions, car shows and also at
events promoting products/sales/wine tastings, and samples

-Tanya
Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #886
Junior LCF Member

Wow.. awesome. Thank you so much Tanya! You're so helpful Really. You have no idea how long I've been looking for something like this. Like I said, I used to be so crazy in the past, and as a person that thinks way way way too much in general about everything, this only ever made dieting that much worse. I'm just going with it from now on and letting it come naturally the Stillman way.

(I know. I love coffee. I'm crazy. I'm at my breaking point, I swear. I want these pounds freaking GONE!! So glad to hear I can have my coffee still with a little cream. I feel like an alien without it!)

Thank you so much again, really. This may just be the answer to what I've been looking for all along. And to hear that I can lay off the exercise for a while makes me as happy as a kid in a candy store! ........ (Lame, I know, but I was going to say "A fat kid with cake" and didn't want to be mean--especially since I've probably been that fat kid before! And I looove cake!)

PS That's awesome about your job! Very cool. With all of your advice about Stillman's though you could travel back in time and work for him!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #887
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Let me add, the events and tradeshows are my second Job, I work a full time Job as an auditor ( snooze!)
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vivibee
Stats: 5'8 226/144/140
WOE: Low carb with Stillman's QWL
Start Date: january 14, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post
AL-

ok this is how you need to think about this
You are DEFINITELY over analyzing, and there is no need to do that.
What I like best about this diet is that it is easy and simple. Do not drive yourself up the wall with all this minute stuff.

Find a simple menu of items that are on plan and eat those only and just keep rotating them
For example the turkey burgers? You need to just look for ground turkey meat, you dont have to have the actual pre made turkey patties. I always buy the Ultra lean turkey meat in the stores, which is WAY less than 8g fats per burger, and then I make the burgers or sometimes I eat the ground turkey in a big bowl.

Second, there are TONS of lean meats you can eat, please refer to stillmans book for a laundry list, but for example I eat turkey, tuna, chicken, various types of fish, shrimp, lobster, scallops...the list goes on and on.

This diet is SO simple and just let it work for it, dont get so wrapped up.
Eat your turkey bacon and hardboiled eggs for breakfast,
Have a bit of cottage cheese or string cheese here and there if you can, Also have some grilled chicken, even a steak is ok, sparingly....

ok and one last yet important bit, do not worry about counting calories, or fat grams and all that. I never ever did that, and I have been just fine... eat your lean meats, your eggs, your approved cheeses, and diet sodas, water, etc etc, and you are right as rain.
This will work for you!
Your appetite will adjust, at the beginning you do eat a lot of meat and maybe intake more fat than you should , but as you progress your hunger will go down and you will have very little overall and you will be fine...stay focused, its too early for you to get so bogged down!

-Tanya

( Also exercise is completely and utterly NOT needed until you hit a stall...i always say, keep exercise as your ace in the hole to break a stall, and also its important for maintenance!)
THIS IS FANTASTIC ADVICE! I would re-iterate that you don't need to limit yourself - eat from the list, when you are hungry - eat from the list. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE CALORIES!! You never want you calories to get too low, that's painting yourself into a corner and will be disastrous down the line, unless you are looking to maintain on 700 calories per day! You will eat less as time goes on and your appetite changes (it's like a cloud lifting!) but even then, make sure your calories don't go too low. For the first 5 weeks of Stillman's, my calories got lower and lower as I lost interest in food until I was eating 500 calories a day (truthfully, sometimes less). I had to take a week off and carb it up, then I went back and upped my calories, the weight came off and I'm convinced I can now maintain because I adjusted this. GOOD LUCK! - Viv

another great piece of advice from Tanya, don't bother recording your daily intake - I was painstakingly writing down every morsel I ate, you don't need to do that, it was so freeing to just relax, eat from the list, and focus on other things in your life.

Again with the eggs - I would just like to say I ate and eat a LOT of eggs - yolk and all, and I lost 80+ pounds in 5 months! Don't worry about the eggs.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #889
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
sometimes I eat the ground turkey in a big bowl.
The best way!! <---- licking lips!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #890
Big Yapper!!!!

And re the exercise--yup, yup and yup for maintainance!!! I keep reading that 90% of people who maintain their lost weight exercise regularly!!!
.....so it will always have to feature in my life!!! Even if I do wana be lazy!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #891
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh and just about the ground beef--cos I know yall need to know theses things-but in Germany all I can get is a ground beef/pork combo!! I know eek!! Oh it tastes good-too good--but really it's weird, like it's all the leftovers from the good meat!!! Do not want to think about what's in there when I'm greedily tucking in! And it mostly is 50% fat, if you want the 10% version you literally have to be there when the delivery comes in--same as the ff cottage cheese!
At home (Ire) I only ever buy ground turkey!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #892
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
right there with you
I havent had plain ground beef in a long while,Deer meat tastes similar except 100 times more lean, so I eat deer
Is that venison?? I've had lots of it in Germany pre stills-eh but coated in a yummy crumb and only in restaurants!! Wiener Schnitzel!!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #893
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
right there with you
Do you have a meat grounder/grinder? What do you call it! We call it a mincer! A machine that grinds meat! I often thought that would be a handy thing to have-I'd know exactely what was in my ground meat!!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #894
Big Yapper!!!!

I think some people reckon coffee can spike your insulin levels so shutting off your fat burning--dunno!! Personally I think you'd have to be majorly insulin resistant for that to happen!! I don't drink a lot of coffee at all-maybe 2 or 3 cups max a week---but I drink lots and lots of tea-like loads!! So that caffene would build up and I've lost drinking it!!
I say drink up! You're giving up pretty much everything else-it's tea that keeps me sane!!
Like Tanya said cut back the cream a little-just put in enough to taste it-that's what I do with milk!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #895
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
as an auditor ( snooze!)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #896
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Is that venison?? I've had lots of it in Germany pre stills-eh but coated in a yummy crumb and only in restaurants!! Wiener Schnitzel!!
Yes venison , same thing
I get it already ground up like my turkey
Old 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #897
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok for all of you that say you don't count calories on QWL, where are your calories coming from? No, i mean really? Are ye telling me you're eating 1000+ cals of plain chicken/turkey breast and tuna and eggs etc.????
That is an awful lot to eat when you're not hungry!! It's like 8 cans of tuna!!!!! Anytime I've stuck it into ****** the most my cals have ever come out at are 800-850.
If I wanted to get them higher then I would have to up the fat content!
Are you sure you're getting these calories from QWL approved foods?? Or are you not actually eating as many calories as you think??
Old 06-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #898
Big Yapper!!!!

Anybody who has put up their menus doesn't actually eat that much!! Seriously, go back and look!! Anytime we've done the cals they've been shockingly low! Even when people have asked is it too much.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #899
Big Yapper!!!!

Viv-can you post a daily menu when you were losing?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #900
Big Yapper!!!!

I agree you don't have to count calories as such on QWL and I agree it's freeing. You don't have to on Atkins either but lots of people say that because of the apetite suppressant that is low carb you don't eat half as many calories as you were before.
Closed Thread