Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post
Back in my calorie counting days, I would take a bag of Skittles and split it up into little ziplock bag servings
And then just have 1 ziplock bag per day of the candy
( I LOVE candy, its been so hard for me, but I chew sugar free gum every day just to get the edge off)
I like 5cent candies so I went and found sugar free ones bad idea... they went right through me lol on the plus side I haven't wanted candy since

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #422
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Dunno! I didn't have many cheats over Easter-they were bites of stuff--and a couple of slices of bread--but my carbs were higher and my cals too. I did have some choc Easter Sunday, but that's ages ago now----and the main thing was I didn't work out. -----------but I put on an inch on my hips and an inch on my thighs-------i mean, it just sucks. I haven't weighed cos I don't want to see the damage. But I think seriously I'm gonna have to eat this little -my cals (on Stills) are never more than 450-500-and work out so much to keep my weight down
Ok rant over!! i did my Super Callanetics this morning! Exercise always makes me feel better!!!
I looooove your success stories, I do!! And I truley and utterly believe that QWL is the best and quickest diet out there---I just wish that I still had those successes......i know, i had them in the beginning......but I miss it!,
maybe you have to go back to what you were doing in the beginning? or your body just doesn't want to lose the last of the weight, sometimes I just wish my body would do as its told haha
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oooooooooh!!! I've never heard that!!!!!!!! Goody!!!! Cos I've just read the 'I gained it all back' stuff-even here on LCF--makes me wanna cry every time I read it.
I think thats ppl who didn't make it a lifestyle though, if you gho back to eating the way you did when you gained weight in the first place what do you expect to happen, right?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #424
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Back in my calorie counting days, I would take a bag of Skittles and split it up into little ziplock bag servings
And then just have 1 ziplock bag per day of the candy
( I LOVE candy, its been so hard for me, but I chew sugar free gum every day just to get the edge off)
How could ya split a bag of skittles???? There's like 20 sweets in there!!! maybe your bags are bigger!
I've resorted to sugar-free gum in the last couple of months too!! Never had it before-actually never liked gum at all. My fav flavour now is Mango-Melon!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Location: at present and resentfully TX..Will be leaving soon
Gallery: PsychDoc3
Stats: 261/128/140 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: Atkins(Jan 2010)Stillman's(March 2011)
Good Morning,

Rough night....Yes, CC, I can see how my job by my description could allude to a air traffic controller, and there are some similarities....The patient is brought in under their own volition or not or I am consulting on other cases on other floors of the hospital. The patient is treated immediately or not and they taxi until they are cleared for departure..Same concept and risk of life. No, I'm kidding...It's just that some of my patients think the hospital is the grocery store where you come in several times a week and potentially stay for awhile to get what you need and then wait a few weeks and return again--labeled our wonderful 'frequent fliers'...Obviously, there are patients who truly need our services which is why I do what I do...It is always rewarding no matter how small an achievement is...I would not pick anything else to contribute to society...

On another note...I am so proud of all the progress I am reading about..There are so many people who have decided to focus on their health and that is great...It is always a good time to tackle this problem that we have all been battling for sometime whether for a short or long time...

*This re-feed fever on the thread is interesting..I can see biochemically why it works from a medical perspective, but I think your pancreas/liver will adapt and adjust just like when people eat less calories than what they should and work counterproductively (starvation mode)...Our bodies remember quite efficiently and what works for a while might be deemed a victory in the short run, but in the long run watch out....Those short sighted victories could potentially blow up unexpectedly...Also, the potential of a snow-ball effect is rated high and potentially destructive...

Everyone, I wish you a fabulous weekend...Take care and be good to your bodies...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #426
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
I like 5cent candies so I went and found sugar free ones bad idea... they went right through me lol on the plus side I haven't wanted candy since
Atkins bars did the same to me!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #427
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
maybe you have to go back to what you were doing in the beginning? or your body just doesn't want to lose the last of the weight, sometimes I just wish my body would do as its told haha
I am doing the same thing!!!! Tuna with salad, chicken with salad, turkey with salad and HB eggs!!! And working out like a crazy woman!!
Maybe though the big diff is I went nearly a year with about 2 cheats!!!

Editing to say----no my body does not want to give up any more weight---selfish brat!!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Atkins bars did the same to me!
surprisingly the atkins bars didn't and I will still occasionaly have one if I am dying for a chocolate bar but they stall me and they aren't as good so I rarely have one I may as well have real chocolate and sugar if the same thing is gonna happen right?

whenever I eat anyting sugar free it sounds like there are dinosaurs fighting in my tummy haha
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #429
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am doing the same thing!!!! Tuna with salad, chicken with salad, turkey with salad and HB eggs!!! And working out like a crazy woman!!
wow thats awesome! I wish I could go that long but I cheat about once a month, I just have to keep it to one treat or 1 day not like 5 in a row haha I could almost be at goal now if it wasnm't for those cheats
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #430
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I think thats ppl who didn't make it a lifestyle though, if you gho back to eating the way you did when you gained weight in the first place what do you expect to happen, right?
oh nasty!!! I won't come looking for sympathy from you when I hit 300lbs so!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #431
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Editing to say----no my body does not want to give up any more weight---selfish brat!!
what did Dukan say your true weight was? I don't really believe what he says and you are proof but I am just curious
Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #432
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
surprisingly the atkins bars didn't and I will still occasionaly have one if I am dying for a chocolate bar but they stall me and they aren't as good so I rarely have one I may as well have real chocolate and sugar if the same thing is gonna happen right?

whenever I eat anyting sugar free it sounds like there are dinosaurs fighting in my tummy haha
Yeah exactely!! I want the real stuff!! They didn't really go through me either-almost---but the ehem wind and gurgling was awful! And I felt as though someone had filled my stomach with air!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Location: at present and resentfully TX..Will be leaving soon
Gallery: PsychDoc3
Stats: 261/128/140 (5'5")
Start Date: Atkins(Jan 2010)Stillman's(March 2011)
sorry..repeat...

Last edited by PsychDoc3; 05-06-2011 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #434
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc3 View Post
Good Morning,

*This re-feed fever on the thread is interesting..I can see biochemically why it works from a medical perspective, but I think your pancreas/liver will adapt and adjust just like when people eat less calories than what they should and work counterproductively (starvation mode)...Our bodies remember quite efficiently and what works for a while might be deemed a victory in the short run, but in the long run watch out....Those short sighted victories could potentially blow up unexpectedly...Also, the potential of a snow-ball effect is rated high and potentially destructive...

Everyone, I wish you a fabulous weekend...Take care and be good to your bodies...
i've always wondered about this-the starvation mode----i think in my case it's true--my body is really used to its low cals now. Also one sentance I read about Atkins ages ago worried me---it said Atkins is a serious business, one piece of carb will make your insulin spike so much higher than before, i've often wondered if this is true--you know the way your metabolism and thyroid get lazy from low cal dieting, then is the same true for you insulin response with low carb dieting. So even eating a few carbs will lead to w huge spike in insulin. Just wondered because diabetes runs in the family!

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!(not even chocolate!)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #435
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
wow thats awesome! I wish I could go that long but I cheat about once a month, I just have to keep it to one treat or 1 day not like 5 in a row haha I could almost be at goal now if it wasnm't for those cheats
Yeah I do wonder where my willpower went!!! I think I just wanted to lose the weight so badly. I never even wanted to cheat-I had no cravings whatsoever! Oh happy times!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: akagal20
Stats: 172.2/155.8/145(Height 5'8)
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 18, 2014
Once I get past the wedding,I look forward to experimenting
I still will stay on diet, due to vacations coming up, but I will have more flexibility to add veggies here or there, and see how it affects

I am eager to see what the old body can handle and what it cant.

My determination of steel will not allow me to gain, until I get pregnant, of course!
I am glad that I know I can go to stillmans after I have a baby, and it will help me get my pre baby body back

I no longer feel anxiety about pregnancy weight... I can just focus on a healthy baby ( or two, twins run in my family)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #437
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Once I get past the wedding,I look forward to experimenting
I still will stay on diet, due to vacations coming up, but I will have more flexibility to add veggies here or there, and see how it affects

I am eager to see what the old body can handle and what it cant.

My determination of steel will not allow me to gain, until I get pregnant, of course!
I am glad that I know I can go to stillmans after I have a baby, and it will help me get my pre baby body back

I no longer feel anxiety about pregnancy weight... I can just focus on a healthy baby ( or two, twins run in my family)
I have often wondered that, like will I finally get a nice body and lose it to a baby in a few years, I am not even in a relationship now so it might be like 10 years haha
Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #438
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
Quote:
i've always wondered about this-the starvation mode----i think in my case it's true--my body is really used to its low cals now. Also one sentance I read about Atkins ages ago worried me---it said Atkins is a serious business, one piece of carb will make your insulin spike so much higher than before, i've often wondered if this is true--you know the way your metabolism and thyroid get lazy from low cal dieting, then is the same true for you insulin response with low carb dieting. So even eating a few carbs will lead to w huge spike in insulin. Just wondered because diabetes runs in the family!

I'm wondering about this as well. I have been eating very low calories, and exercising regularly...not hardcore exercise, but I'm definitely seeing muscles appear that I didn't have before I upped my yoga practice to several times a week. I seem to be losing regularly and shaping up a bit, which is great, but I definitely wonder about my body getting used to the low calories and having issues. I'm feeling great, have plenty of energy, and I still have over 40 lbs. to lose, but I have definitely found that I can't lose if I eat a normal amount of calories. In fact, I gained a pound/maintained this week from eating 1,300 in a day. That shouldn't happen, right? Although, the HCG diet and other medically supervised diets are usually around 500 cals a day...is that bad? I was thinking that if I built muscle during this time, that would keep my metabolism going. I just don't want to be doomed to live on 500 calories a day forever!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymama View Post
I'm wondering about this as well. I have been eating very low calories, and exercising regularly...not hardcore exercise, but I'm definitely seeing muscles appear that I didn't have before I upped my yoga practice to several times a week. I seem to be losing regularly and shaping up a bit, which is great, but I definitely wonder about my body getting used to the low calories and having issues. I'm feeling great, have plenty of energy, and I still have over 40 lbs. to lose, but I have definitely found that I can't lose if I eat a normal amount of calories. In fact, I gained a pound/maintained this week from eating 1,300 in a day. That shouldn't happen, right? Although, the HCG diet and other medically supervised diets are usually around 500 cals a day...is that bad? I was thinking that if I built muscle during this time, that would keep my metabolism going. I just don't want to be doomed to live on 500 calories a day forever!
I think you just may need to up the cals slowly not just jump into the right amoun of cals GT said something the other day about your body using more cals after weight loss than before but eventually it will go back to normal.

GT can you explain that again?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vivibee
Stats: 5'8 226/144/140
WOE: Low carb with Stillman's QWL
Start Date: january 14, 2011
Quote:

I hear you Butterflymama! I recently took a week off - after nearly 4 months, with my calories getting lower and lower, also exercising 5 days per week. When I restarted Stillman's, I made an effort to keep my calories at least over 800. This morning I weighed in 4 lbs thinner - the second week of restart, the first week I lost 8lbs, 7 of which was regain from the week off!! I'm not sure if it's necessary to take a break but it seems to have worked for me. I certainly don't think a realistic long term WOE would be 500 calories a day.

By the way, today is especially sweet since I'm officially 102lbs thinner than when I started this whole thing last summer. I weighed an astounding 256lbs in July 2010 (this is what happens when you avoid the scale!), lost 30lbs with Atkins, hit a plateau, jumped on the Stillman bandwagon and lost the rest! Yeah me! I honestly like the weight I'm at now but I sort of want to see if I can get to Dr. Stillman's recommended weight - naturally I'm not sure if 133lbs would work for me, or if I can easily maintain it but hey, I wouldn't mind gettin there!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
I did some research late last night on the internet, and there were a lot of good articles

It seemed like most of the refeed articles were in reference to bodybuilders or people who were serious athletes or endurance athletes who have to keep their weight down but need fuel every now and then.

For example, they suggest you do the refeed on a day where your exercise is going to be at the max, so you have the carbs to get through the tough workout.

I also noticed the articles suggest you do the refeeds once you've been dieting for quite a while and need the metabolic boost....

Its defiintely interesting and I will try this down the road once I am even/maintaining..

I have not heard anyone really mention the topic of refeeds on this thread before, so I was a little skeptical,I figure if it was something that really worked, everyone here would be going on and on about it... but now that I have looked into on my own time, it sounds legitimate and like it could really work, at least give you a bit of sanity and energy! lol
some of our old LCFs were gag about refeed......they were doing boot camp style regimes......YamYam was one, she went away for a week of torture and the food was pretty carby anyway.
I guess that we're a little gun shy of the concept, carbs ruined our lives for so long............just a thought

Quote:
Morning!
Ok I have a confession about my weight, on the May thread I said my weight was 148 because that what it was on Saturday so I put it up Monday morning, but Monday night I weighted myself and I was 153!!!! yes that was at night after eating etc so I was probably actually 151 in the morning judging by how my weight changes daily... anyways I weighed myself this AM and I am at 145!!! that means I lost 8 pounds since monday!!!!!

Have I mentioned I love this WOE, maybe I was off plan for a couple weeks and ate everything in sight on the weekends and I know I could have been at 135 today if it wasn't for those days but hello? it took me only 5 days to get back to pretty much the lightest weight I have been since I was an adult... weekends are always bad so me because I don't have the internet at home and can't come check in, not because I gain but I never seem to lose over the weeknds so if I maintain this weeknd I am happy and if I lose more I will be ecstatic!
Stillman's lover WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Good morning ladies! I finally broke into the 170s this morning.
I was hoping to get here by this weekend and had had a couple days with the scale not moving, so I was doubtful, but I was at 179 when I stepped on the scale today. Woohoo!

I'm trying to keep myself out of the impatient mindset that has derailed me so many times before. If there are several days when the scale doesn't go down, I really start thinking that it's never going to, and I give up. NOT THIS TIME. Stillman's has really been good for me since I'm seeing a regular loss. That is all the motivation I need to keep going!

I hope everyone is having a great Friday!
SUPER!!!!! happy for you!
Quote:
Oh, and I can I just say what a happy thread/group this is? On the main LC Lobby, so many people are bummed about slow losses (which was me before I started Stillmans), or no losses on Atkins or whatever other plan, and we are over here just merrily cruising along! Stillman's rocks!
that also explains why those threads are full of meanies.....remember, Atkins states excersize is non negotiable, and they forget.
Yep, a happy bunch we are!
Quote:
Butterfly, I know you are SO right on this one

I am facing this ordeal in person, my close friends all getting revved up for swimsuit season..ALL they do is work out nonstop and then go drinking at happy hour and eating up appetizers and etc etc. I just want to shake them by the shoulders and say LISTEN TO ME!. I can help you! lol
Or they do ask me what I am doing, and I tell them and they arent interested, or they pretend. So funny.

If it werent for my dad, I would never have even heard of Stillmans
He noticed I kept making posts on facebook, saying I was scared of not fitting into my wedding dress and that I wasnt sure what to do. He sent me an email with the Stillmans information and he said he had done once in college, I think to make weight for the military? Said it worked like a charm
and boy was he right...no wedding worries for me.. just keep on trucking!
so sad, we're so underground......some ppl are just closed minded......lucky us, poor them.

that waaaay cool yer Dad hooked you up!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #442
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivibee View Post
I hear you Butterflymama! I recently took a week off - after nearly 4 months, with my calories getting lower and lower, also exercising 5 days per week. When I restarted Stillman's, I made an effort to keep my calories at least over 800. This morning I weighed in 4 lbs thinner - the second week of restart, the first week I lost 8lbs, 7 of which was regain from the week off!! I'm not sure if it's necessary to take a break but it seems to have worked for me. I certainly don't think a realistic long term WOE would be 500 calories a day.

By the way, today is especially sweet since I'm officially 102lbs thinner than when I started this whole thing last summer. I weighed an astounding 256lbs in July 2010 (this is what happens when you avoid the scale!), lost 30lbs with Atkins, hit a plateau, jumped on the Stillman bandwagon and lost the rest! Yeah me! I honestly like the weight I'm at now but I sort of want to see if I can get to Dr. Stillman's recommended weight - naturally I'm not sure if 133lbs would work for me, or if I can easily maintain it but hey, I wouldn't mind gettin there!
Thats awesome!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

I added some progress pics in an album I am feeling pretty proud of myself today!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vivibee
Stats: 5'8 226/144/140
WOE: Low carb with Stillman's QWL
Start Date: january 14, 2011
Quote:
I added some progress pics in an album I am feeling pretty proud of myself today!
as well you should! MEOW!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #445
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivibee View Post
as well you should! MEOW!
Thanks!

Last edited by Mar922; 05-06-2011 at 10:27 AM..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
Quote:
Wow, you look amazing! Congratulations on your progress!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #447
Big Yapper!!!!

Oooh oooh oooh! Just switched on! I want Mar's legs!!!! Jealous!!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #448
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
what did Dukan say your true weight was? I don't really believe what he says and you are proof but I am just curious
Oh I believe him as in the lower you go the harder it is to maintain or to lose much under that!! Oh and about the regain theory!!!
He put mine at 133,slightly under------and I was that weight for a few years, maintained it well---and the biggie---I was really happy at that weight!!! I thought I was nice and slim at that weight!!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #449
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't ever intend to ruin my body with pregnancy---as in I intend to gain as little as poss and to go right back to QWL after!! It can't be a pass for me to eat everything I want!! (lecturing myself here!!) I think I'll prob eat more carbs though. And I intend to work out hard for as long as I can and then keep up Pilates and Call.........................now having said all that I'll prob be back here with a ton (literally!) to lose! Ha!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #450
Big Yapper!!!!

Butterffply-I thought that too about being able to built muscle--but I keep reading that you can't build anything, muscle or fat, with a calorie deficit. Dunno. I can see muscles, but I'm thinking maybe they were there just hidden!! I think the best we can do is preserve muscle mass while we're losing!!
And yup I do kinda think we're slightly doomed to having to stay low cal--for a while anyway. dukan talks about it and I think he's right.
Closed Thread