Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #1081
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
AARP tips

Are You Hosting Billions of Germs in Your House?
12 spots you should clean — now
by: Cynthia Ramnarace | from: AARP | March 15, 2011
EnlargePrintCommentsEmail Recommend (25) Tweet En español | Even the tidiest house hosts multitudes of unwanted guests. You can't see the microscopic moochers, but your next sneeze, sniffle or full-fledged stomach flu might come courtesy of the bacteria and viruses growing by the billions on surfaces you touch every day. Here are 12 top spots where germs lurk and some suggestions for wiping them out. (Hint: Your dishwasher is your new best friend.)

1. Kitchen sponge

The sponge you use to clean with is the germiest thing in your house, says microbiologist Charles Gerba of the University of Arizona in Tucson. "It's a happy home for bacteria because it's wet, moist and you're always picking up food with it" as you wipe up crumbs and spills, Gerba says. Tuck sponges into the dishwasher before you run it — the heat will kill the salmonella and E. coli hiding within. Another option: Pop your wet (nonmetal) sponges and dishrags in the microwave for about two minutes. Be sure to allow them to cool before retrieving them.

2. Kitchen sink

"There's usually more fecal bacteria in your kitchen sink than in your toilet bowl after you flush," says Gerba — whereas many people clean the toilet regularly, they only rinse out the sink. But because your sink is often wet, bacteria from uncooked meat products grow quickly there. Stainless steel sinks should be scrubbed daily with disinfecting cleanser. For ceramic or cast-iron sinks, use diluted bleach (1 tablespoon of water in a gallon of water).

3. Cutting boards

Raw meat and even fresh produce can carry E. coli and salmonella, so cutting boards need to be sanitized after each use. Run plastic boards through the dishwasher and clean wooden ones with diluted bleach.

4. The faucet

Water that has been sitting in a pipe all night can become a breeding ground for bacteria that can cause respiratory or stomach illnesses. Run the water for a minute every morning before you shower or fill a glass, says Dr. Kelly Reynolds of the University of Arizona in Tucson.

5. TV remotes, telephones and video game controllers

"What do you do when you're sick? You jump in bed with the TV remote," says Gerba. Clean these regularly with a disinfectant wipe to banish flu and cold viruses.

6. Coffee tables

Like to put your feet up after a long day? Odds are you're sprinkling salmonella, campylobacter and other fecal bacteria on your coffee table, says Gerba. So consider leaving your shoes at the door.

7. Toothbrushes

These are a triple whammy: They're contaminated with the cold and flu bugs found in your mouth, and they're often put away wet in a glass or other bacteria-friendly microhabitat. Plus, if they're stored near the toilet, they'll collect aerated fecal bacteria each time you flush. Clean brushes in the dishwasher regularly — and stock up. That way, one is always at the ready. (And don't forget to sanitize the slime-collecting toothbrush holder by running it through the dishwasher.)

8. Towels, linens and pet beds

Up to 30 percent of people unknowingly carry staph bacteria on their bodies, and a portion of those carry a drug-resistant and sometimes deadly strain called MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), says Reynolds. Don't share hand towels. "We think these are a route of transmission for MRSA," she says. All linens should be washed weekly in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. And don't forget a high-heat cycle in the dryer for the family pet's bed, which is also a hotspot for MRSA.

9. Nightstands

Nightstands can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Some people eat in bed and the spilled crumbs, along with irregular cleaning, give bacteria the time and food they need to flourish, says Gerba. Other people may be wiping down the nightstand with the germy sponge used to clean the bathroom. Clean nightstands frequently with a clean, damp cloth.

10. Carpets

Bacteria thrive in moist environments, so why are there a lot of microscopic critters in carpet? Germs such as E. coli flourish there, thanks to the crumbs that make up an endless food supply. Regular vacuuming will help.

11. Computer keyboards

Turn your keyboard over and shake it. Is there a shower of crumbs? If so, you've likely got millions of pathogens — including MRSA — observing each and every keystroke, says Gerba. Shake the keyboard regularly, and disinfect it with a wipe.

12. Bar soap

You thought you were cleaning your hands, but in fact, you may have been picking up more germs, since bacteria can survive and grow on bars of soap. Liquid soap in a disposable dispenser is a better option — and be sure to recycle when you're finished.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #1082
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: akagal20
Stats: 172.2/155.8/145(Height 5'8)
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 18, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
Hi everyone!!

Tanya- What lovely pics!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! You are so beautiful!!

Im still going strong on meat! Havent weighed this week, but Im guessing the scales havent changed much. Went out to eat a few times and stuck with steak. At home its been ground turkey..

Please post some recipes from the cookbook!!!
The recipe book has so many , I don't know where to start
I'll mark my favorites then post some
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #1083
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm out of town visitng my fiancé's family
They have a few Stillman friendly items already and I bought the rest at the store
His mom cooks lots of good sweets and treats and soul food of course
When everyone eats that I have my separate meal and no one asks any questions

Road trips are tough because in the past we loved to eat junk food together in the car and eat curly fries and burgers !
He had that , I had sugar free jello and sliced turkey that I packed in a cooler ! Lol
I'm getting good at this

Turning down his moms enchilada casserole made me want to cry , it looked so cheesy and good

Last edited by akagal20; 04-23-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #1084
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Butterflymama
Stats: 196/185.5/135
WOE: Atkins/Stillman's
Start Date: 01/22/12, restart yet again
Happy Saturday, everyone! I did really well yesterday until the evening, then I ate 1 BabyBel cheese, 2 string cheeses, and a cup of 2% Fage. Still my calories should have been pretty low. My weight is stuck though. I lost the 2.5 I was up from my cheat last week, but I haven't lost since. Today will be a strict day and hopefully I will start seeing the scale go down again. Amazing how much 1 hour of eating off plan can set you back.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #1085
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
BFM last night doesn't sound too far off plan, and if it makes you feel less deprived then you have more strength to go on!

Tanya, the pic under the arches.you look like models for Conde' Nast Travel, and the black and white is stunning! Oh and he def went to Jared, didn't he!

Hi Al!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #1086
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
BFM last night doesn't sound too far off plan, and if it makes you feel less deprived then you have more strength to go on!

Tanya, the pic under the arches.you look like models for Conde' Nast Travel, and the black and white is stunning! Oh and he def went to Jared, didn't he!

Hi Al!
CC
Thank you
I'm happy how they turned out also it gave me an idea of where my weight needs to go from here , photos rarely lie !
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #1087
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
Butterflymama; I think the boxed Almond Milk, rather than the refridgerated kind may be pacakged before May 11th. Trader Joe's Wasabi Mayo is just at the point where I can't really buy it anymore. I bought 2 jars with April 12 2012 dates, so I figure a year or so out from that date. But the Wasabi was most likely already picked prior to April 12th. It is becoming a crap shoot no doubt. Tillomock cheese is 60 days prior to the best buy date,and so you have a little time to take care of that. I wouldn't touch beef or meat unless you know for sure it was slaughtered before March 11th. The contamination in animal products is very high, and worse in the organs of the meat. I read today about eggs on bikini atol island, where they did food sampling after the bombing. Coconuts, not good to eat at present, and eggs were a bit high as well. I am opting for chemicals believe it or not, and I was getting sooo organic!!! So Coffeemate creamer which is all chemical, might be a better option for your cereal. Maybe use eggbeaters, which is also all chemical pretty much... eat foods south of the equator like South America... And when all else fails, I figure eating bentonite clay, taking clay baths, using the infrared sauna, and if you have a nebulizer, using the protocols for that with baking soda will help detox the body and lungs. Never allow your children or yourself to play in the rain or the snow. The higher the elevation, the more radiation. This is morbid news. However, isn't it better to be aware and take precautions? It is your life. My sister suggested eating beef jerky for protein since it is butchered long before it hits the shelves. It is expensive, and look and make sure they don't cure it with sugar, it may not even say it on the front, look at the ingredients. I didn't, and wasted about 6 bucks... I am going to look into macrobiotic diet which is brown rice, seaweed, and miso which helped the bomb victims be okay after an atomic bomb went off. So I just have to watch the carbs. Also, many seaweed companies off the atlantic are getting out of stock, so I will research these. It is good to know that lo carb is advantageous during these times. I would watch the carbs, and eat more proteins. I would not add brown rice until you get down to your goal. I am going to just eat a TBSP or so when I have to, even though I am at goal weight. I will be looking for reverse osmosis water to buy and if you want to know the brands, just let me know. I have heard that Costco's signature brand Kirkland, uses reverse osmosis. It should be okay, especially if you run that through a Brita charcoal filter... thats what I can come up with. Sprouts, Atlantic seaweed, tillomock cheese, and look into peanut butter for your kids, just watch the dates. As far as begin stillmans, chemical eggs, 1 oz of Tillomock cheese while it lasts, beef jerkey and frozen meat packed before March 11th. That is my suggestion. I love Stillmans. It was my only salvation for getting down to goal.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #1088
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
anything! you are so full of information! Thanks for doing all the research!!

Pemmican may be an alternative too. (but its 40% fat) I've been thinking of ordering a sample today to see how I like it.

Last edited by aleriaaa; 04-23-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #1089
Senior LCF Member

Butterflymama and anyone else that cares about the environmental stuff going on... here is a link to listen to the situation I think some of you would like to be aware of; Radiation Disaster Associated Toxicity | GreenMedInfo | Disease | Natural Medicine | Alternative Medicine

It is only for those who really want to know.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #1090
Senior LCF Member

AL: What is pemmican? Please let me know??!! Yes, I have way too much info. That is where I have been Al, this entire time, online looking into this, I hope you missed me! LOL.

Gerber purified water, has gotton a "B", Here is a link with bottled water info 2011 Bottled Water Search Page | Environmental Working Group

No one got an "A"

Reverse osmosis using your own tap water still is recommended as best. Stillies have to drink so much water, that it is worth the extra labor to look into this.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #1091
Senior LCF Member

AL: Okay, got on Pemmican's site. All of them have about 5 carbs per serving, and some have corn syrup (really bad for metabolic syndrome), but hey, right now, it sure beats having plutonimum in your system! Nooo kidding! Thanks for the heads up.

Dear Stillmanites; Take care, and take yourselves seriously. Your health is your wealth.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #1092
Senior LCF Member

PS: Pemmican has the most BEAUTIFUL website I have ever seen! You all should just jump over there to see the pics!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #1093
Senior LCF Member

A link that tells you all the radioprotective foods and herbs. Invaluable. To see the info you chose, (the articles) scroll down a bit on the page. Radioprotective | GreenMedInfo | Pharmacological Action | Natural Medicine | Alternative Medicine

Okay, I won't bug you any more... lOl
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #1094
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingwilldo View Post
AL: Okay, got on Pemmican's site. All of them have about 5 carbs per serving, and some have corn syrup (really bad for metabolic syndrome), but hey, right now, it sure beats having plutonimum in your system! Nooo kidding! Thanks for the heads up.

Dear Stillmanites; Take care, and take yourselves seriously. Your health is your wealth.
Wrong site! Pemmican is also a brand name and they sell jerky. Search for sugar free pemmican. That'll get you to the right place!

pemmican is beef + fat. I cant type it all out cause my nails are wet! lol
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #1095
Blabbermouth!!!

im goin out tonight for surf & turf!!! dining out doesnt have to be boring peeps!! (but expensive, yes!)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #1096
Blabbermouth!!!

ooo my Nestles Pure Life got a B!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #1097
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amazinggrace911
Stats: 190/190/150 -- 5'8"
WOE: Whatever It Takes!!!!!
Start Date: 7/30/2014
I haven't looked too much at the recipe book yet. Still reading the qwl book. Will look and see what I can find!!!

Today's food:
b: 2 eggs w/turkey pepperoni
s: 2 sm. slim jims
s: pepperoni
d: 2 double stacks, cheese only from Wendy's

Feel full right now. Haven't drank as much water as I need to today. Will be drinking lots more tonight when I watch a movie.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Lenise
Old 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #1098
Senior LCF Member

Al: Okay, I learned something new today! Had no idea what pemmican was, thought it was a brand name for Jerky LOL!!!! Will continue searching... am noticing a lot of sites with high carb ingredients in them, but I will keep looking... ah, another web search! LOL

Oh, I learned something new... maybe I can go back to bed now.. LOL
Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #1099
Senior LCF Member

Al; have a great time tonight. And great, your Nestle's did get a B!

AG911; Slim Jims do work in a pinch! Mmmm
Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #1100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amazinggrace911
Stats: 190/190/150 -- 5'8"
WOE: Whatever It Takes!!!!!
Start Date: 7/30/2014
My dd and I love to eat slim jims. I buy them at Sams Club and we go through them quick!!

Lenise
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #1101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: icandoit
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5’ 7'
I cheated a few times but it's alright. Yesterday had chicken and salad and today was only chicken. I'm going to try and have only meat now to see how it goes. I lost the my weight so far with meats/fish and salad. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #1102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: icandoit
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5’ 7'
Fixed my goal weights in my signature!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #1103
Senior LCF Member

Having a super hard Time going to sleep , kind of wish I was back home

An Easter dinner is being cooked , overnight. Some southern women let certain items cook through the night prior to big events / meals

So the entire smells like a old fashioned buffet restaurant end there are all kind of sauces and spices bubbling
I can't sleep now , I see gravy smoke coming through the vents .
I had a great baked fish dinner and all is well but now my tummy is growling like crazy
I had to chew some gum in my room just to take the edge off
I'm already looking forward to my bacon and coffee in the morning

Sigh

I don't mind seeing food but smelling food overnight is a tough one

Last edited by akagal20; 04-23-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #1104
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Easter Everyone!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #1105
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post
Having a super hard Time going to sleep , kind of wish I was back home

An Easter dinner is being cooked , overnight. Some southern women let certain items cook through the night prior to big events / meals

So the entire smells like a old fashioned buffet restaurant end there are all kind of sauces and spices bubbling
I can't sleep now , I see gravy smoke coming through the vents .
I had a great baked fish dinner and all is well but now my tummy is growling like crazy
I had to chew some gum in my room just to take the edge off
I'm already looking forward to my bacon and coffee in the morning

Sigh

I don't mind seeing food but smelling food overnight is a tough one
You have remarkable willpower, girl!!! You have really done a great job!! Hopefully there will be lots of yummy meats on the menu for you today!! Im glad your taking a dive into the bacon - enjoy!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #1106
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinggrace911 View Post
My dd and I love to eat slim jims. I buy them at Sams Club and we go through them quick!!

Lenise

are they sugar free? If so, I will check em out!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #1107
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icandoit View Post
I cheated a few times but it's alright. Yesterday had chicken and salad and today was only chicken. I'm going to try and have only meat now to see how it goes. I lost the my weight so far with meats/fish and salad. Fingers crossed!
30 pounds down!!! Woohoo!!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #1108
Senior LCF Member

There will be chicken( with skin) and ham

I don't want to be peeling skin off chicken and I'm pretty sure Ham is full of fat ?

Guess I'll just eat the meat and be quiet
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #1109
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagal20 View Post
There will be chicken( with skin) and ham

I don't want to be peeling skin off chicken and I'm pretty sure Ham is full of fat ?

Guess I'll just eat the meat and be quiet
Aw.. you sound a little bummed! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the scale if you up your fat a bit. Even if you gain a pound from the salt, it'll go right back down and then some!!!

Drink lots of water! Cheers!!

(im stuck at work. no ham, no chicken, no turkey, just tuna...)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #1110
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
I cant type it all out cause my nails are wet! lol
Closed Thread