Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Stillman's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/)
-   -   What is "Ketchup in moderation"? Lol :) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/712548-what-ketchup-moderation-lol.html)

lilnurse 03-06-2011 11:34 AM

What is "Ketchup in moderation"? Lol :)

Because right now, I could live on ketchup. I had a nice big omelette (handful of shrimp and 3 eggs) and squeezed 3 packets of ketchup on it. I'm really only using ketchup to lean on, a little, until I am 100% firm on this QWL. I didn't mess up yesterday, so I am proud of myself. Three packets of ketchup have 10 cals. each..so that's 30 calories in ketchup. That was my brunch. I really only think I will have one more meal today and that will be turkey burgers with minced onion inside and some mustard on top. What exactly is "ketchup in moderation"? I honestly used 2-3 packets on every meal of mine yesterday..I had 4 meals because I was craving BAD sweets, so I would whip out meat or chicken and put ketchup on it. I know THAT was NOT moderate, but I don't plan on relying on ketchup forever..it's just to get me by. Adds a pleasant flavor to my stuff. Esp. to eggs, which I am already sick of.

ravenrose 03-06-2011 12:59 PM

I hope you mean sugar free ketchup and not the regular stuff, which is mostly all sugar. You can find the Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup in many grocery stores these days, again, after it was off the shelves for awhile. good to stock up just in case it goes away again.

lilnurse 03-10-2011 03:51 PM

RavenRose, it was regular ketchup. I am trying to find what you speak of. I just posted another thread. I am severely depressed. Can you tell me how much you were able to lose on this diet and if you followed it 100%? Please see my new thread. I am literally just so insanely depressed today.

icandoit 03-11-2011 01:38 PM

How about Walden Farms ketchup? It has 0 everything. I have not tasted it yet though.
http://www.netrition.com/waldenfar...ents_page.html

IM2fat 03-14-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilnurse (Post 14459230)
RavenRose, it was regular ketchup. I am trying to find what you speak of. I just posted another thread. I am severely depressed. Can you tell me how much you were able to lose on this diet and if you followed it 100%? Please see my new thread. I am literally just so insanely depressed today.

Try some hot sauce. I was a huge Ketchup fan as well. .I finally gave it up and switched to hot sauce. a little goes a long way. . Also, Heinz does make a low carb, reduced Sugar ketchup if you really have to have some. . good Luck...

momtocj7mea 03-29-2011 09:19 AM

I use the heinz sugar free ketchup, in fact my whole family uses it. I am just starting Stillman's so I can't say how it would affect the diet, but I hope not too bad....I love ketchup on my eggs:) Plus I make a pretty good low carb/low fat mini turkey meatloaf with the low carb ketchup.

dumplynn 04-03-2011 05:49 AM

I make my own ketchup. It is quick, easy, no cooking required and much cheaper than any prepared product. I also use the recipe for a really good cocktail sauce by adding horseradish to it. I think this is a great substitute for real ketchup. You probably have the ingredients on hand so try it and let me know what you think!

Low Carb Ketchup

6 oz. can tomato paste
6 oz. water
3 oz. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp splenda
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt

How To Prepare: combine & wisk until smooth

Total recipe -170 cal.,- 36 carbs.
Number of Servings: 30 tablespoons
Per tbsp,- 5.7 cal., -.1.2 carb

aleriaaa 04-03-2011 06:25 AM

Thanks for the recipe, Lynn!!! What a great, and cheaper alternative to buying the Heinz! Im sure it will come in handy for a lot of us!

amazinggrace911 04-21-2011 04:27 PM

That ketchup recipe sounds good. I'm going to have to try it.

Lenise

jaime-lynn 05-03-2011 10:26 PM

Low Carb Linda has an excellent low carb ketchup recipe, here's the recipe link in case anyone is interested...

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Butterflymama 05-04-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaime-lynn (Post 14615975)
Low Carb Linda has an excellent low carb ketchup recipe, here's the recipe link in case anyone is interested...

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

I must second that! I made her ketchup recipe and it is amazing. I think I like it better than Heinz! :up:

jaime-lynn 05-07-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymama (Post 14617429)
I must second that! I made her ketchup recipe and it is amazing. I think I like it better than Heinz! :up:

I like it better than Heinz too! Especially with the changes noted at the bottom of the recipe page. It's so flavorful!

Aurora_ 04-06-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumplynn (Post 14528081)
I make my own ketchup. It is quick, easy, no cooking required and much cheaper than any prepared product. I also use the recipe for a really good cocktail sauce by adding horseradish to it. I think this is a great substitute for real ketchup. You probably have the ingredients on hand so try it and let me know what you think!

Low Carb Ketchup

6 oz. can tomato paste
6 oz. water
3 oz. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp splenda
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt

How To Prepare: combine & wisk until smooth

Total recipe -170 cal.,- 36 carbs.
Number of Servings: 30 tablespoons
Per tbsp,- 5.7 cal., -.1.2 carb

I know this is an old post but thanks for this recipe! Absolutely delicious and easy to make