Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #901
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillMakeIt View Post
Is it alright if I join this thread? I'm shopping today to start Stillman's tomorrow. I've lost about 14 pounds following a regular 1,200 calorie diet in the last 6 weeks. My first week I lost 5 pounds and I've lost about 2 pounds a week since then. It's painfully slow! I'm ready to speed things up and start Stillman's!
Hi! Welcome!! Congrats on the loss so far!!
Getting there!!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #902
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
. .and I keep thinking. .when I get to be where I think I'm old. . can I be fat then?
Nope!! I'll never be fat and happy---never was!! And people who say it lie!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #903
Big Yapper!!!!

Okmpeeps gotta go!! Still on plan!! Wish I had net access at home!! BBL
Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #904
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swebb
Stats: 253/251
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 03/10/2010 RESTART 08/01/11RERESTART 2/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_teapot View Post
Since I last posted in late spring, my weight has bounced around , up and down, like clockwork.
Welcome back Red You picked a great time to start posting again - it seems we are ALL struggling right now

When we have lost and gained several times during our lives it keeps getting harder and harder to lose yet again. Some of that is psychological and some of it is biological. The body sees this as a "famine" time and holds on tightly to every ounce. We just have to be mentally tough enough to "weight" it out and continue 1) eating enough calories so we are not starving 2) drinking enough water to help the burn and flush and 3) doing some sort of moving to help the metabolism get out of "snail" mode.

I don't buy the snacky stuff that too easily just "jumps" into my mouth. I make it a point to actually get a plate, put protein on it and sit down at the table to eat. I make each meal (even snacks) deliberate. That way I am THINKING about what I am putting into my mouth. I am starting to write food consumed down. I post on here (when I am not posting I am usually struggling and then cheating).

Enlist your DH's support. Mine knows that I am doing this for my HEALTH and not just because I want to fit into skinny jeans (although that would be a bonus ). He can have his snacks but he keeps them in his office. There will be a time that I can have a "bad for me" snack in limited quantities - just not right now.

Alcohol WILL stall the weight loss on many people. The body would much rather convert the sugars in the alcohol to fuel than to have to burn the stored fat as fuel. So if you want to have a glass of wine - plan it. Then don't be upset by a stall for a few days. That way you won't get discouraged and start the slippery slide back to Carbville.

We need to be prepared for this battle both mentally and physically. We are in for a fight for our LIVES. This is serious. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

You know we are here for you when you are gaining and when you are losing. When you are struggling and when you are successful. If we all lean on each other, together we can be strong.
swebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #905
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: IWillMakeIt
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I weighed in today at 203. I started at 219 almost 7 weeks ago -- like I said, painfully slow! I'm hoping to be out of the 200s in the next couple of days with Stillmans, instead of the next 2 weeks with the "regular" diet!

I haven't eaten yet today, but a grilled chicken breast is my plan for now, since I already have a package of chicken defrosted in the fridge.

I'm so glad to have some group support. I still have about 80 - 100 pounds to lose. 18 weeks from today is December 31. I hope to reach my goal weight by then with Stillman's. How wonderful would it be to welcome the new year with a new body, instead of deciding to *start* a diet on January 1?

I have a long day of work ahead of me. I'm going to do my best to stick to this plan. It would be great if I could be in the 190s by Monday!
IWillMakeIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #906
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hey Everybody! I have read all the posts to catch up and now I'm out of time and can't answer individually, but I will go back and do that later.

Today is day 3 on Atkins. I am feeling energetic, bouncy, unhungry and lots of other good things.

I am also feeling encouraged and discouraged at the same time!!! Anyone ever fee like this? So, I deciced to try on some outfits for my "date" w/ DH tonight so I'll be prepared. (It's so much fun rummaging through the walk-in closet! Boy, I made a mess).

The encouraging part is this: Remember I said I'm gonna wear tight pants? I have a pair of size 16 white jeans and figured if I wear them with a long top the too tight waist band will remind me not to eat carbs!!!

They are loose!! What the heck?? I was gonna wear them last week and they were tight. Now the waist is not tight and the butt and thigh part are actually baggy. Roomy. And, the bra that last week I had to fight and adjust to get my underarm flab stuffed into? it slipped on and the underarm bulges are smaller and appear to be gone when I put a shirt on. OMGosh!!! Could I be buring fat??

My fat-measuring Tanita body monitoring scale needs new batteries. I have deliberately not replaced them because I decided to use my other scale for a while. (All the monitoring stuff was just making me crazy and I think I don't want to know if my fat% is tons higher than it was a few months ago!!! Wanna wait 'til I know I have lost some fat).

Sorry this is getting long. But I tried on some other clothes and stuff that did not fit last week and they fit this week.

That's the encouraging part. The DIScouraging part is that after 3 days of almost perfection on Atkins (and remember I have NEVER even tried or knew how to do Atkins in my life before I bought the '72 book a couple of weeks ago) my scale says I have not lost a single ounce.

How can I NOT lose an ounce and yet my clothes fit??? It's magic. Strange.

Must be that thing we were talking about yesterday.

SHARON: you were talking about sticking to LC and not losing and then having a whoosh. Maybe if I keep it up then next week I will have a whoosh? Or the week after that?

I seriously think I will be able to stick it out day after day without seeing a drop on the scale. This is because 1. I am UN-hungry. Hallelujah!!!!! 2. The food is soooooo good I feel like I'm constantly cheating! (I mean, mayonaise? I have not eaten a drop of it in years! same with butter!!!) 3. I FEEL so good. More energy. Happier.

Maybe it's enough to have all of that even if I have to wait a couple of weeks to see the scale drop. Might feel differently tomorrow. Never know.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 08-27-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #907
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ontopofmygame
Okay Gals! I did lose 1 lb this morning. That makes it 2 lbs in 10 days. Ugh! Well I am going to be grateful. I did eat more than I did the day before when I was stalled, and also that extra time on the beach most likely helped. I am not sure why the beach walks makes the difference versus the neighborhood walk... but it does. Maybe I just feel more relaxed and away from my problems, so I lose. I also, yesterday, added kelp tablets to my diet. And being hypothyroid that may have worked. I don't have hashimoto's I don't think, so I can take kelp.
ontopofmygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #908
Junior LCF Member

Congrats, YamYam, on the size 16s being loose! Sounds like it'll be time for 14s soon!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #909
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/176/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
WTG Yam! Gotta love when you are losing inches. . don't fret. . the rest will come. . .

Anything. .hang in there. . any loss, no matter how small , is progress. . don't ever forget that. . those 2 pounds will add up to 4 then 6 then 8 then 10! You'll be losing like mad in no time. .
IM2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #910
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK. . so hubby got weighed this morning (at Doc) and he lost about 8 pounds in 2 days! GGGrrrrrr. . . Plus. .becuase of his fast, I assumed he would want to pig out when his test was all done. . NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo He's like a good Atkin-ite and he decided to eat chicken. . O my goodness. . deprive me of food and I would have eaten all the way home from the hospital. Not to mention, they had a popcorn machine right outside the outpatient surgical area!!! How dumb was that. . I ate an egg for breakfast and was still drooling! Mean, I tell you. .just cruel and heartless! He's sleeping like a baby right now. . good news is. .everything was normal and he's good to go for another 5 years. (Both our fathers had/have colon cancer so my poor boys will have to be tested early!). . I told you I should have done his fast. . >Mirlax and ducolax. . . here I come!!! J/k
Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #911
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my 12's a little looser today but it may because I wore them 2 days in a row. . but who's counting? Loose is loose!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #912
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dusin! Was that a cow patty I just stepped in? Step aside, buddy. .. step aside. . .I'm moving over in the fast lane. .
Old 08-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #913
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Al.. so quiet. . . it's not like you to pop in for one little, itty, bitty blurb. . . . we want more. . .

OK.. I gotta get back to work . Woot Woot. .
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #914
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Iwill!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #915
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
OK. . so hubby got weighed this morning (at Doc) and he lost about 8 pounds in 2 days! GGGrrrrrr. . . Plus. .becuase of his fast, I assumed he would want to pig out when his test was all done. . NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo He's like a good Atkin-ite and he decided to eat chicken. . O my goodness. . deprive me of food and I would have eaten all the way home from the hospital. Not to mention, they had a popcorn machine right outside the outpatient surgical area!!! How dumb was that. . I ate an egg for breakfast and was still drooling! Mean, I tell you. .just cruel and heartless! He's sleeping like a baby right now. . good news is. .everything was normal and he's good to go for another 5 years. (Both our fathers had/have colon cancer so my poor boys will have to be tested early!). . I told you I should have done his fast. . >Mirlax and ducolax. . . here I come!!! J/k
IM2: Yeah, but ... alas ... it won't work on you like it did on him. I had my procedure done in January. Guess how much I lost after the fast and cleanse??? guess. ...........Zip, nada, zero, nothing. I was soooooo surprised. I felt so empty. duh. Oh well, such is life. My DH trims the bushes outside the front window and loses 5 pounds. Then he brags about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #916
Blabbermouth!!!

I ate 2 cans of tuna for lunch. (5 oz each). Do you think that's OK? I looked up protein content in tuna and it'a 40 grams of protein per can! I was just craving it and it really tasted good. Not feeling bad or anything but just wondering if you can eat too much protein at one sitting? Anybody know?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #917
Blabbermouth!!!

CC: Thanks for the info on ketostix. I did not know that. Good news -- if you're in, you're in! Guess I'm in the club now! BTW: Loved the long leg shadow picture!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #918
Junior LCF Member

YamYam, eating a bunch of protein in a sitting won't hurt you, but your body won't be able to utilize it in the same way that you would had it been spread out. Unless you're bodybuilding, though, you likely won't notice a difference. As long as you're not diabetic or have renal issues, you should be fine. (standard disclaimer: I'm just a peon nursing student, so this isn't medical advice.)
Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #919
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
YamYam, eating a bunch of protein in a sitting won't hurt you, but your body won't be able to utilize it in the same way that you would had it been spread out. Unless you're bodybuilding, though, you likely won't notice a difference. As long as you're not diabetic or have renal issues, you should be fine. (standard disclaimer: I'm just a peon nursing student, so this isn't medical advice.)
Thanks! That's very helpful. I'm so interested in how the body works and how we use and process what we eat.

This morning I was thinking about the scale not going down and thinking it's probably because I'm 56 and post menopausal. I know I'm not as active as I was when I was younger! That's certainly a factor.

But I'm really trying hard to follow the Atkin's plan after reading the book and getting inspired. He talks a lot about how different things can slow down and even stall or make the diet not work. One thing he mentions is diuretics. My doctor prescribed a diuretic for me soon after menopause started and he still is keeping me on it. I wonder if that means this will never work for me?

Also, I've been using 20 grams of whey protein powder each morning. (Not today). I did some research this morning and found out there is a huge difference between concentrated whey and whey isolate. Who would know that? Why don't they tell us??? I have never heard that before.

Whey comes from milk. Milk is forbidden on Stillman's plan and Atkins' plan. Why? Because of the lactose (sugar). I knew milk is full of carbs. But my whey concentrate says it only has 4 grams of carbs.

My research this morning (on Google, of course) led me to learn that in whey isolate, they take out the lactose and the fat. So whey isolate is actually beneficial in a low carb diet while whey concentrate is not.

I have probably been sabotoging myself by ingesting whey concentrate!!!

So, I'm going to buy some whey isolate and try it and see if it makes a difference.

You probably didn't want to hear all of that!! Sorry, guess I'm just thinking out loud, er, silently through my fingers....

Any thoughts on the diuretic? I don't want to stop taking it because a nurse once cautioned me that if I did stop, I would immediately start retaining fluids and blow up like the GoodYear Blimp!! That scared the bajeebers out of me and I've taken it every day siince!!!

On the other hand, I want to lose weight so bad I WOULD stop taking it if I knew it would make this diet work.

I don't want to make a doctor's appointment to discuss it for 2 reasons: 1. My insurance wouldn't cover it and it's too expensive 2. I know the doc. wouldn't want me to stop taking it!!! He almost peed his pants once when he gave me a prescription and I didn't like how it made me feel so I stopped! I remember going in for my next checkup months later and I told him I wasn't taking it (funny, I can't remember right now what it was or what it was for!!) and he had a fit.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #920
Junior LCF Member

Why are you on the diuretics, YamYam? Whether or not it's even remotely reasonable for you to stop taking them depends on why you were prescribed them. Simply being post menopausal isn't a reason to prescribe them; something else had to be going on. Usually, diuretics are prescribed for hypertension, but I've learned better than to assume. LOL

Last edited by IWillMakeIt; 08-27-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Old 08-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #921
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
Wow..you guys are really awesome! Full of information this thread is!! I love it!

So Im drinking my coffee...BLACK! Yup! I'm in the zone now. Im feeling a bit tired but not cranky. Had my pouch o tuna and can not wait to get home to my turkey!

Yam- I always eat two cans of tuna, or the family size pouch. I swear I eat and eat and eat meat and just pee it out. Im serious though.

GT- Im so glad you've been showin off your hot thin legs!!! The worlds is a happier place now!!

IM2- I love it when you are in a good mood! I wish I could schedule a colonoscopy for the cleanse effect. So glad everything went well with hubby!!!

Sharon- I especially loved your last post! Great motivation as always for everyone that needs it!!!! (especially me!)

Somebody asked if we think they can still lose with meat and fat and the answer is YES!!! I did it. I felt amazing! and I still kept losing. BUT..I did not include anything else except real meat and meat fat. (and crystal light) No pork rinds, eggs, cheeses, or mayo... I bring it up because some of those ingredients are called zero carb but I tried to keep it negative zero, I guess..

I have never felt better than I do on MEAT! This bloated, yucky, fat, tired, awful feeling is the pits. Why wouldd I do this to myself over a mere moment of instant oral gratification? Carbs are the devil. Darn you cheetos, and popcorn, and french dressing, and country white bread

The good news is my stats are up so unbelievably high that I can jump into the losing scene with a newly acquired passion. Woohoo!!!
aleriaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #922
Blabbermouth!!!

I will make it!!! I dont think I had the chance to give you the proper welcome!! This is the best place to be for support and the best plan to follow for the quickest results!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #923
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Al.. so quiet. . . it's not like you to pop in for one little, itty, bitty blurb. . . . we want more. . .

OK.. I gotta get back to work . Woot Woot. .
I just realized you are breaking the rules..posting at work?? If this is true and I can get my hourly dose of IM2, I will never log off!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #924
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
my 12's a little looser today but it may because I wore them 2 days in a row. . but who's counting? Loose is loose!
you are too much! I put on a pair of jeans yesterday after jumping up and down and sucking my gut in to zip. Then I had to bend and stand, bend and stand, bend and stand.. But at leat I got my squats in!!! Yeah for me exercising!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #925
Blabbermouth!!!

Im thinking about the kelp...Stillman said that any bite off plan can set you back days to a week. Perhaps some of these vitamins are causing slow results? IDK..

In the spirit of Stillman- No BLTS peeps!! Lets look between the lines of our menus...post everything you eat so we can pick out things that someone might be missing!!!

and to confess....the kids and I made ice box cake yesterday for the first time.....there are no inbetween the lines for me. That one is flashing bold right across the screen!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #926
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
How can I NOT lose an ounce and yet my clothes fit??? It's magic. Strange.
Dont question it! Embrace it! I think thats great news... (You made me very interested in this 72 version...I may have to read up!)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #927
Blabbermouth!!!

Stillmanites Unite! Get Slender in September!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #928
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Why are you on the diuretics, YamYam? Whether or not it's even remotely reasonable for you to stop taking them depends on why you were prescribed them. Simply being post menopausal isn't a reason to prescribe them; something else had to be going on. Usually, diuretics are prescribed for hypertension, but I've learned better than to assume. LOL
Yes, that's high blood pressure, right? Before the big M doctors always said, "wow, your BP is great!" Of course I used to exercise like a maniac every day and did LC eating most of my life 'til then.

In 2002 I had a serious back injury that sent me to the hospital in an ambulance, I was bed bound for weeks and then in PT for months. Around that time the "change" hit, I was unable to do the strenuous workouts I had been accustomed to and others were cooking for me. Needless to say, the weight just jumped on to my bones!!!

During the M years I tried in vain to lose weight, but mostly I would gain. I remember telling my family "I'm going to be fat for a while! So just get used to it!!!" My kids had never seen me fat nor had my DH!! Poor things. Must have been a shock! It has not been fun for me either.

Anyway, I had many weird changes and symptoms during the change (which lasted over 5 years) and my doctor attributed everyone of them, including the high BP to the onset of menopause.

Sorry to keep going on about that. I guess it helps me to feel like I have an excuse which I know is totally wrong thinking.

Every 8 weeks I donate blood and of course have my BP taken professionally and it's always low. I have 2 BP monitors at home. One is for the arm one is for the wrist. (DH's dr. recommended he have them and it's handy for me, too). Two days ago I was 119/69. But, how do I know if it's me or the diuretics that are keeping it down?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #929
Blabbermouth!!!

Yam- I just want to offer up some hugs!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #930
Blabbermouth!!!

Iwillmakeit: Do you mind if I ask how tall you are? You said you want to lose as much as 100 pounds which makes me think you are a little tiny one!! lol. I'm tallish @ 5'8" and always wanted to be short because I think it's so feminine!