Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #3481
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Getting there!!!
Stats: 252/116/105 5'6
WOE: Stillmans QWL/Dukan
Start Date: 1 November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleriaaa View Post
luv u!!
Hmmmm!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #3482
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
OK... so our t-shirts have to be pink. (blue for bass)

they must have the word meat on them. (capitol MEAT for bass)

hello kitty must be holding a "do not eat" sign , like the circle with the line through it, (bass's hostess cupcake can be chillin on the side)....

Im on it!

Last edited by aleriaaa; 05-29-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #3483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kamills
Stats: 229/202/165 6'1
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: May 18th 2010
Quote:
I decided to pick an old thread to read and I landed on Octobers... What a great pick!!! October is when GT first joined the group , IM2s slip fell off , and when sillyerin came around. If you guys have time, check out sillyerins posts. She has a great way of getting you to keep things PLAIN and SIMPLE for success. Of course, it was too hard most of the time for me to follow, but she was very motivating and insistant that following it will give insane results.

Ok..back to reading..
How can I keep up???? But now you've got me intrigued with these comandments and strictness. Sounds like Stillman's bootcamp! Just up my street.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #3484
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb View Post
Al - if you still have an extra book I would love to have it. Maybe I could scan it in a. Then it would be in electronic format - easier to send

thanks
sharon
Great idea Sharon! Then we can email and save on postage. Extra homework will be re-reading for cheaters
Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #3485
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting there!!! View Post
Hi Kamills! Cool that people are noticing your weight-loss!! Yaaaay!!! And you're right you do wonder why anyone would ever do another diet!!!! I won't be!!! I shall be a loyal follower of Stilly!!! Oh yeah and you're also right it is the best thread ever!!! Keep enjoying Madrid and the BF!!!!!
Just went on the most gorgeous walk, but forgot my water!!!!! Now I'm chugging my LITRES away. Need to drink 4 more bottles! Joining in the American/British spelling and measuring units debate. Always litres, always grams/kgs (European rather than British), and always S not Z in words like organise. After all the American influence in Chile I made a stand and tried to make a tiny teeny weeny British imprint on the education of a few, not that it worked

Whinge... I know the word. Whingeing maybe?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #3486
Senior LCF Member

NERMO!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!:kic king:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #3487
Senior LCF Member

Wine-ing I like
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #3488
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

hello kitty must be holding a "do not eat" sign , like the circle with the line through it, (bass's hostess cupcake can be chillin on the side)....

Im on it!
Maybe we should all just wear meat A chicken breast bikini. Ewwww how gross.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #3489
Senior LCF Member

Well I'm checking in again. Having a lovely time. And I haven't eaten yet (it's 7pm here). But went to the supermarket and got some turkey breast, eggs and chicken broth. My BF is trying to tempt me, and bought some white asparagus, which I may or may not eat. No biggy if I do, it's a tiny amount. He made me try evaporated milk (only a tiny tiny sip), but it's soooooooooo disgusting Good thing too.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #3490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nermo
Stats: 272/198 /180 for now
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: jan2010
Quote:
Oh Nermo I am so so pleased for you!! If I was with you I would be jumping up and down hugging you to death!!!
You did it girl!!!!!
Now onwards and downwards!!! There's no stopping you now!!!

I agree about the bond too!!!

luv ya! You were definitly my inspiration GT! You made me BELIEVE it can happen!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #3491
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb View Post
Nermo way to go !!!

You have been a GREAT inspiration but I miss your postings!

I am a couple months behind you sooooooo ONEDERLAND HERE I COME!
Girl! You have done A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! You are real close! I'll be standing by the door with my arms open to let you in to ONDERLAND!!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #3492
Senior LCF Member

Sorry I have been really skimpy with my posts! Summer vacation has started here and my kids are off from school-so they are keeping me quite busy! I still gotta work 'till the end of the week though! The week begins on Sundays here and I am off Fridays and Saturdays- it's weird working on Sundays for me and I keep saying TGIF and here it's TGIT Thank God It's Thursday, hehehe!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #3493
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamills View Post
Just went on the most gorgeous walk, but forgot my water!!!!! Now I'm chugging my LITRES away. Need to drink 4 more bottles! Joining in the American/British spelling and measuring units debate. Always litres, always grams/kgs (European rather than British), and always S not Z in words like organise. After all the American influence in Chile I made a stand and tried to make a tiny teeny weeny British imprint on the education of a few, not that it worked

LOL, I was just talking about the whole American/British spelling thing at work the other day! I was organizing some new "program" and my boss who is from England crossed it out and wrote "programme" hehehehe
Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #3494
Senior LCF Member

oh yeah and "practice" is supposedly "practise" - Lol Now I am always double checking my spelling at work!

GT - I do't think people can tell I am an English teacher either with the way I type! hehehe-

ok Be back later my motherly duties are calling! ughhhhhh!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #3495
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Trust you!!! The New Oxford English Dictionary according to Al!!
leave it to Al to slip in the wine whenever she can LOL
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #3496
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermo View Post
Sorry I have been really skimpy with my posts! Summer vacation has started here and my kids are off from school-so they are keeping me quite busy! I still gotta work 'till the end of the week though! The week begins on Sundays here and I am off Fridays and Saturdays- it's weird working on Sundays for me and I keep saying TGIF and here it's TGIT Thank God It's Thursday, hehehe!
That's OK Nermo, cause when you're here you make it count! Not like my mindless chitter chatter...
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #3497
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
leave it to Al to slip in the wine whenever she can LOL
can I add wine to the t-shirts???
Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #3498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swebb
Stats: 253/251
Start Date: 03/10/2010 RESTART 08/01/11RERESTART 2/21/13
Quote:
I was just thinking about this scanning thing....

My pages are landscape and fits 2 book pages. Will the scanning still work properly that way?

I overthink everything, but just wanted to be sure that was cool..
Yep it will work fine!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #3499
Blabbermouth!!!

Original posting by princessdaisy: thank you daisy!!!

Okay,everyone, here is the "First Thin Commandment" (courtesy of Stephen Gullo, PhD):

Strategy is Stronger Than Willpower: 1) Use strategy to stay in control 2) Stop self-defeating food talk 3) Weight yourself on the New Scale for Dieting 4) Keep a food diary
5) Listen to a power tape

1) No diet will work unless you implement a strategy specifically designed to your own personal sensitivities regarding food. He goes into further detail later in the book (I mean, everthing he's writing about is "strategy"), but basically his point is that white-knuckling your way through temptation will ultimately fail; on the other hand, if you equip yourself with techniques (also coming soon) you can face tempting foods and situations that much better and actually make you WANT to continue on course.

2) This one is SO true for me: "The Lure of Food 'Baby Talk'". I have to quote him here: "Where food is concerned, even the most mature adults often act like children -- like children who want their way no matter what, blocking out the negative consequences of their eating. They focus instead on a few minutes' worth of taste that fill the mouth and lingers for a short while, while completely denying the obvious and discomforting cost. For these foods are not free -- you have to wear them for years to come. You can't eat it all and still be thin. This is a fact. But you can be a selective gourmet and never have to give up the pleasure of fine dining" (p. 8). He's no softy, is he?

3) The new scale for dieting is a quiz you take every week to make sure you're staying on track. The 10 questions are 1: Am I going more than 3 or 4 hours w/o a healthy snack or meal? 2: Am I failing to plan (more to come on this) 3: Am I avoiding foods I have a long history of abusing? 4: Am I keeping my moods out of my foods? Am i not eating out of boredom or anger, and am I reminding myself in stressful situations that "this is not about food"? 5: Am I keeping problem foods out of the house or out of sight? 6: Am I avoiding high-risk situations (i.e. reading dessert menus, looking at dessert carts, dining in restaurants with buffet-style and/or family-style service)? 7: Am I maintaining finger control? (see Sillyerin's post) 8: Am I eating too much of the "right foods" on my plan? 9: Am I watching for the hidden calories that stop weight loss (salad dressings, sauces, etc.) and failing to ask in restaurants "how's it prepared"? 10: Am I reminding myself that this is not about deprivation but doing what works for a happier, healthier life? (p. 11)

4) Keep a food diary (need I say more?)

5) Okay, Oprah is about to start, so I'm not writing out this whole thing, but basically he says to make motivational tapes or CDs for yourself with stuff like (these are the things I highlighted) "If I don't buy it, I don't eat it." "I've seen it all, I've tasted it all, and it hasn't made me happy; it has only made me heavy." "A food temptation is simply a feeling, it's not a command. It lasts about 4 to 12 minutes. If I break eye contact and say 'No way!' it will pass. Isn't thin worth 4 to 12 minutes of standing up to a feeling?" (That's my favorite one). (pp. 14-15)

Think not so much in terms of dieting alone, "think instead of looking 10 years younger without a face-lift (okay, that's my favorite one), think in terms of quality of life, self-mastery and growth, fashionable clothes, saving guilt hours at the gym, struggling to make up for yesterday's food excesses. Most of all...think about life enhancement..." (pp. 19 -20).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #3500
Blabbermouth!!!

Original post by princessdaisy

Okay, folks, here's Thin Commandment #2:

Think Historically, Not Calorically

1) Think about your food history -- how you've behaved with "problem foods" in the past 2) Identify trigger foods, behaviors, situations, and times that lead you to lose control of your eating
3) Stop thinking about simply counting calories, but about how much of your problem food you eat at any one time
4) Realized that even the most "healthy" foods aren't healthy if you eat too much of them

1) Gullo calls this "the most essential strategy" b/c it forces you to re-think food. I'll use me as an example. When I was about thirteen, mommy dearest started putting me on diets so that I wouldn't ever end up with a weight problem (I wasn't overweight); well, whenever I got the chance, I would sneak ice cream from my brother's stash and just eat and zone out. Since that was a "forbidden" food, I'd cram in as much as possible (i.e. binge) before I got caught. So, my history with ice cream is a not-so-healthy one; to this day (uh, day-before-yesterday) I can't eat just a little cone of ice cream whereas there are other people who didn't use ice cream as prozac in their youth who will do just fine with a small serving. For me, Gullo would point out, there is no such thing as the serving size they post on the side of the container since, for me, the whole container is ONE serving. So, "there are no good foods or bad foods. There are only good and bad histories with a food" (p. 25).

2) This seems pretty clear: identify the foods, behaviors and times that trigger you to overeat. For example, he says that some people are finishers i.e. feel compelled to finish everything on their plate; then there are the finger eaters (like Sillyerin explained so well); trigger situations would be like parties or sporting events where some people get into trouble; and trigger times which seem to affect SO many people in the mid to late afternoon, starting around 3 or 4 pm.

I think 3) and 4) are why so many of us find success with low carb eating (he doesn't write anything more specifically about these last two since they're kind of incorporated in what he said earlier). Like Starzmom said about eating veggies on the weekends; those seem like healthy foods, but they are absolutely NOT healthy if they lead to feeling bad and cravings for even worse carbs.

Finally, he ends the chapter with six ways "This Commandment Make[s] You a Weight-Control Winner":
1) It predicts your behavior in advance with any food you have eaten in your life
2) It predicts the time of the day when you are most likely to be vulnerable to overeating
3) It predicts the types of situations that are most associated with losses of control
4) It helps you evaluate food in a new way -- not just in terms of counting calories and carbohydrates, but in terms of how any food affects you behavior, appetite, control, and success at dieting
5) It shifts you thinking from being "good" or "bad" to thinking in terms of "what works or doesn't work for me" (P. 32)

Tomorrow, The Third Commandment: "The Problem May Be in the Food, Not in You" (Yay!)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #3501
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, peeps, here's Thin Commandment #3: The Problem May Be in the Food, Not in You

This chapter/commandment was, IMO, most interesting b/c it sciencey and explains whats going on physiologically when you want to overeat.

"Commandment Essentials:
*Kill appetite cravings with a sweet protein shake when fruit won't do the trick
*Don't skip meals or go too long w/o eating
* Eat a protein or a protein with high fiber for breakfast
* Sustitute pickles or spicy V-8 juice when tempted to indulge in sweets
* Never try to correct for overeating by skipping meals to following day
* Be aware of SAD cold-weather eating
* Keep you home a 'junk-food free zone

As you can probably already tell, this commandment will appeal especially to low carbers since he presents research linking food, insulin and cravings (stuff we are all pretty much aware of anyway). But there are a couple of really interesting findings that I, obsessive, long-term, read-anything-new-that-comes-along dieter that I am, found eye-opening:

1) "[N]ot only drug use but any recurring activity that triggers dopamine release, such as eating certain foods (ice cream, cake, etc.) can reshape the brain in important ways --ways that compel you to keep repeating that action and that make 'Just saying no' much more difficult. Scientists call this neuroadaptation" (pp. 39 - 40). He goes on to say that while it may some compulsive eating may border on addiction (he hesitates to use the word, although I don't know why), the behavior CAN be reversed through strategy and coping skills.

2) This was really fascinating: "If the body has been deprived of sufficient calories during the day, the levels of metabolic regulator neuropeptide Y will rise once on starts eating. This leads to greater cravings for food, especially carbohydrates...At that point, it's hard to resist the body's chemical signals to consume. You turn into an eating automaton, w/o being aware of it. If you think you're an intelligent, responsible person, it's spooky how little control you have over this...if you've gone beyond a few hourse w/o eating, then hav[e] a cookie, that cookie, instead of satisfying you, becomes a turbocharged appetite stimulant causing you to overeat. This can be true even if you've never craved cookies before, a fact proven by a 1990 study at University College, London, in which subjects who were indifferent to chocolate but ate it on an empty stomach ended up craving it" (41 - 42). He goes on to say that you can reverse the chronic craving of certain foods by 1) eating it on a full stomach and NOT when you are hungry and 2) "flooding yourself" with the food for two weeks, twice a day. I was too scared to try this, to be honest.

One more point that he repeats (so it must be important): "Numberous studies show that the more foods you see and keep around your home, the more you eat and the more frequently you eat -- even if you're not hungry" (43).

Then he talks about recent studies done on taste buds where they've found that people with fewer taste buds ("nontasters") have a higher tolerance for food tastes and need more sweet, salty or fatty to feel satisfied who those blessed with thousands more taste buds ("supertasters") are quickly repulsed by too much or, coversely, are more quickly sated so eat less food. To test which group you fall into, put some saccharine on the tip of your tongue. If you taste only sweetness, you are probably a nontaster. But if you taste sweetness and bitterness, you're more likely a medium taster. If the saccharine tastes extremely bitter, you're a supertaster. (p. 44)

He also stresses that lack of sleep has been directly linked to overeating due to an increase in appetite and hunger.

Tips For Ending Your Cravings
*Don't skip meals or go too long w/o eating
*Eat a high-protein, high-fiber breakfast
*Try a sweet protein shake in the late afternoon to kill appetite or cravings by keeping the neuropeptide Y from rising
*Detoxify your home food environment
*Never try to correct overeating/bingeing by skipping meals or food the next day
*Never go hungry to restaurants or events
(pp. 48 - 49)

Finally, Dr. Gullo reminds us that "if you get sloppy about the structure of your eating habits and strategies, as many people do once they have lost the weight, you'll end up out of control again" (51).

NOTE: Obviously, you should take what will help you here, and leave the rest. For example, for those of us trying to cut the artificial sweetner out of our eating, a sweet protein shake is that last thing we want. But, common sense would tell you to have an egg or chunk of meat instead.

As for fiber, I know that eating the Stillman's way doesn't leave a lot of "residue" (I love that euphamism for poop), so you just aren't going to "go" as much. Personally, I expect that and don't stress about missing a day here and there or not "expelling" as much as I do if I'm eating a bunch of bulky carbs (sorry; I'm done talking about that now).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #3502
Blabbermouth!!!

Thin Commandment Four: Structure Gives Control

Commandment Essentials:
*Eat a snack with protein and fiber between 3pm and 5pm
*Always bring your own healthy snack to a meeting
*Put together a "thin pack" and never leave home without it
*Do your food shopping right after breakfast or right after eating
*Don't clip coupons
*Stay away from food "minis" such as minimuffins, minibagels, and minicookies
*At buffets and cocktail parties use the smallest plate to serve yourself

Gullo thinks that what almost every diet lacks is struture. People treat a diet like a calorie budget, fiddling around with meal time and amounts to such an extent that it leads to self-sabotaging behavior like skipping meals then making up for them later (for example).

"What is Structure?" (p. 55)

The structure of your eating habits is made up of these major components:

1)The timing and frequency of your meals
*Do you have established times to eat, and do you stick with them?
*Do you wait until you are hungry to eat?
*Do you skip any meals or replace them with snacks?
*Do you eat very quickly?

2)The type of meals you eat
*Is it a real meal or a quick snack in place of a meal?
*Is it adequate to carry you through the day?

3)How your home food shopping gets done
*What time of day does it get done?
*What is bought?

4)The way your meals are served
*Buffet or family style?
*Or individually plated?
*Do you eat meals standing up or while traveling?

Gullo contends that structure is the cravings killer: "By giving yourself a solid structure of frequent meals and snacks every day, you protect yourself against the siren songs" of cravings (59).

Gullo also stresses and re-stresses the importance of breakfast. Now, I am not a breakfast eater and, for me at least, it only leads to trouble if I force myself to eat something in the mornings (besides also making me gag). I know also that on a ketogenic diet like Stillman's, part of the delight is in NOT wanting to eat so often. Therefore, like I said yesterday, take from this what helps, and leave the rest.

Gullo also urges the use of a "ThinPack" which is basically an emergency reserve of low-cal snacks to get you through times when food is not available or you are stuck in a situation with no appropriate foods on hand.

Shopping with Structure
*Beware of bargain sizes since these huge quantities of food end up being no bargain at all
*Buy your food in structures that help you eat less, i.e. individual serving sizes
*Stick to your list
*Don't buy foods for others that you have a history of abusing unless they specifically ask for them and then in the smallest size possible
(p. 64)

Don't eat "minis" b/c there is a tendency to eat too many more of these shrunken portions than if were to eat, say, a regular sized bagel (NO bagels for us, of course!)

Finally: "Structure prevents the cravings and hunger that tempt you to violate your diet. It guides you in planning your meals and snacks and your food shopping. It guides you in being protective of yourself and honoring your body's needs...By eating at regular intervals, your hunger has dissipated, and your cravings have dissipated, even though you are eating a fraction of the calories you were eating before" (pp. 66 - 67).

After rereading this, I remember how important this chapter was. The times when I've stayed at my lowest weight I always fell into a habit of eating at the same times every day, adding structure without even noticing. Chaos kills self-discipline.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #3503
Blabbermouth!!!

Okee, dokee, girls, Thin Commandment Numero Cinco:

Separate Food from Mood
*Don't buy snacks you habitually abuse when you are stressed
*Keep tempting snack foods (that you might have on hand for family members) out of sight
*Keep healthy snack foods available
*Pick up the phone, and chat with a friend instead of picking up a chip or a cookie (OR, I might add, get online and reach out here!)
*Practice yoga, weed your garden, knit (I do this!), or do some other activity instead of stress eating
*Switch to a stress food substitute that won't make you fat
*Talk yourself out of mood eating
(p. 68)

Gullo says, "I will never tell you that the foods you choose to eat as mood lifters don't have a pleasurable taste. They do. But nothing tastes better than looking in the mirror every morning and feeling proud of what you see. Food pleasure is fleeting, and I've yet to meet the stress eater who is happy with his behavior or himself for doing it!" (69).''

"What mood eaters want is an IMMEDIATE change in their feelings. That's why it's about SNACKING, not real food, and it's about snacking on what's easiest to get into your mouth..." (70)

"Common patterns of mood eating:
*Same food: mood eaters return time and time again to their favorite snack food
*Same place: mood meaters eat alone in the kitchen
*Same time of day: Mood eating is done in the late afternoon or evening, almost never in the morning
*Same mood: It's feelings of anxiety, anger, frustration betrayal, disappointment, or boredom that are the common triggers for mood eating
*Same people: Mood eaters snack b/c they become stressed by the same people over and over again (boss, partner, child, relative, friend)
*Same situation: mood eaters snack b/c they become stressed by the same situations over and over again, even b/c of boredom
*Same quantities of food: Mood eating is almost always about volume
*Same reason: Mood eaters want a treat or comfort from food. That is why mood eating is almost always dfone with a food they buy and bring home for themselves, even if they may believe they bought it for others, especially family or company."

"Once you realize your mood eating is totally predictable, you can control it with strategy!"

"The best palce to end mood eating is not a psychiatrist's couch. It's at the supermarket...The interesting and even wonderful thing about ending the pattern of mood eaing is that when snacks aren't immediately available, almost all mood eaters automatically busy themselves with a noneating activity...In the end, no matter what the burdens or stresses of your life may be, you can't eat what's not there!" (all of the above, p. 72)

Strategies for Snack Foods:
*Toss out the mood snacks in your kitchen right now and do not re-stock
*If you absolutely must keep snacks in your home for other people, here are proven strategies to keep you from eating them:
-- Ask the others in your house for permission (weird choice of word, to me) to buy a type of snack that is not your favorite or that you are unlikely to abuse
-- Keep snack foods out of sight, NEVER on the kitchen counter
--Ask those in your immediate family not to snack in front of you
--Have family members hide tempting snack foods if you're given to grazing (my hubby has me do this when he's dieting)
--If nothing else works, lock all snacks in a cash box wit ha combo lock, and make sure only those who eat the snacks have the combination (for some reason, I think this is a cool idea)
--Keep healthy snack foods available so you're not tempted to go on to the fattening ones
(pp. 73 - 74)

Strategies for Stress on the Horizon
*Write out what you will eat for that day in advance. Direct your psyche to think in terms of these foods only and to avoid all others.
*Plan which snacks you are going to eat and keep all others out of sight
*Plan to avoid trouble
(p. 75)

Best Activities to Block Stress Eating
*Knitting and crocheting
*Warm bath or shower
*Playing a Game Boy
*Playing with a pet
*Saying a favorite prayer
*Keeping a diary
*Sending e-mails to friends
*Going online to learn about something that interests you
*Stretching and exercising, especially with hand weights
*Meditation or yoga
*Squeezing a rubber ball
*Watching a video or reading a book
*Playing an instrument
*Shopping for items you enjoy (other than food)
(P. 77)

"If you can't stop it, switch it" i.e. if you must snack, choose "legal" foods (P. 78)

Finally, I thought this observation at the end of this chapter was compelling: "One of the most destructive aspects of mood eating goes almost totally unrecognized: Mood eating deceives us into living as mimics. When someon hurts or disappoints you, you then disappoint yourself by breaking with you weight program and gaining weight simply b/c you were eating over their behavior. It's rather ironic that when we eat b/c someone or something has made us angry or upset, we then also get angry with ourselves for doing it. It's a no-win pattern" (p. 81).
Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #3504
Blabbermouth!!!

Well isn't this just the perfect time for the Sixth Thin Commandment: Take Control of Your Favorite (or, Holiday) Foods

Commandment Essentials
*Limit frequency, availability, and quantity of your favorite foods
*Make "I don't begin; I don't have a problem" your mantra
*Save your calories for special meals, not everyday junk
*Remember to think historically
*Don't visit the dessert table for "just a look"
(p. 82)

Boxing In/Boxing Out Your Favorite Foods:
"To Box In a food means you include it in your diet. The goal is to always keep as many favorite foods as possible in your life -- and also to keep wearing your favorite size. To Box Out means you exclude a food or type of food (such as bite-size snacks that are easy to pop into your mouth) from your diet. For some people, certain foods create such powerful cravings thtat they need to be treated separately...the majority of my clients have told me that among all the skills they've developed for managing their weight, Box It Out is the single most effective, easy-to-use way to maintain sucess at weight control" (83).
(Note: That's probably why low carbing works so well for many people b/c it "boxes out" those foods that lead to cravings, namely carbs, carbs and more carbs.)

Boxing In Your Favorite Foods
*Limit frequency: Enjoy your favorite food only at a specified time. Have it on designated days, or only in certain restaurants, or when served to you at a party. Whether you include it in your diet regularly or only on special occasions will depend on the food and your personal history wit hit
*Limit availability: Keep tempting foods out of your line of vision at home, and avoid eye contact with them at restaurants and at other social events (sort of like with exes!). One of the major triggers for wanting something is seeing and smelling it.
*Limit quantity: Buy your favorite food in single serving sizes and don't store in large quantities (pp. 83 - 84)

"Among recent findings from the National Weight Control Registry, in a survey of men and women who lost weight and kept it off, it was reported that two out of three of the 'masters of weight control keep problem foods out of their house and out of sight.'" (p. 85)

Eat and Be Merry
"Many of my clients practice Boxing It In at holidays, family picnics, or other special events. They give themselves the pleasure of eating cake on their birthday or sampling every dish on the holiday table. Weight gain over the holiday season doesn't come from one feast. The danger is in the foods and the trays of baked goods left out in the office and at home in the days before and after the holidays as well as the leftovers. The secret to getting through these events in your life is to Box In special meals on the holiday itself, or the evening before, rather than to randomly eat whatever you see, whenever you see it, throughout the season" (p. 85).

Here are some client examples he gives (in my own words):
*One woman who had moved away from her hometown in the south loved pecan pie. So, whenever she visits home (four times a year) she allows herself to eat at much pecan pie as she wants at two dinners. The rest of the year she doesn't bake, buy or order pecan pie.
*Another woman only eats the pumkin pie filling out of her pieces of pie during Thanksgiving.
*Gullo himself loves rum cake and allows himself to eat as many slices as he wants on Christmas day, but no other day of the year.

Boxing In or Out?
"With strategy you can enjoy your favorite foods w/o putting on pounds. However, it works only if the food is indeed manageable. In certain cases, there may be a few or perhaps just one or two foods that can't be handled in this way b/c they trigger such powerful cravings in people with physiological hypersensitivity.

Use these three key techniques to guide you:
1) If you can have 'just a sliver' when it's served to you, but you would overeat it if you were in your home, then only eat it when you're a guest in someone's home or only in restaurants.
2) If you can Box In a food at home, be sure to keep it under 'wraps'. Cover tempting leftovers with aluminum foil -- not a see-through plastic. Store them out of sight in the farthest reaches of the fridge, even hidden in the veggie compartment. Keep other snacks and treats in closed cabinets, the more remote and inconvenient the better (I still think that lock-box idea is the best!).
3) If you eat it compulsively when it's in the house, then never bring it home" (pp. 87 -88).

"As you consider your problem foods, you may conclude that it might be easier to Box Out one or two foods from your life. This is a critical choice, upon which your success hinges. When you think historically and see that you hve a long history of abuse with a certain food, that every time you've gone back to it, it's created powerful cravings and obsessive thoughts, and your weight has returned, then the key to control is realizing that the risk of eating it is not worth the momentary pleasure it may give. It's far better to get a few foods out of your life -- and still enjoy the figure that you want for life" (p. 88).

"In choosing the avoid a certain food, you are freeing yourself from constant weight problems, cravings, and the unending battle with temptations that wear down your willpower...For those who are given to excess, abstinence is easier than moderation...At one time, I made the mistake of thinking, perhaps as you may think, that it would be harder to eliminate a food than to eat it in moderation. But my clients' successes taught me that the opposite is true -- it's easier!" (90).

"In making the adjustment, it's critical that you know how to outmaneuver you psyche's deprivation mechanism. Never say 'You can't have it.' It's not true, and it may trigger feelings of deprivation. Say to yourself instead, 'It doesn't work for me.' This way you don't fall into the 'Eve Complex' or something becoming more attractive b/c it's forbidden. You can have all you want, whenever you want. But if you do, you will never have the life or the control that you want. You are using you 'life smarts' and freely choosing not to have it so you can choose to be trim" (91).

"This is the change in thinking that is so important to understand: Eating the food IS the deprivation b/c it deprives you of reaching your critical life goals. And when you make this shift in your mind, you truly come to se a great new truth in a new light: Boxing Out food is not about deprivation, but about liberation" (92). (IMO one of the best statements in this book.)

"Many people find that they can say 'no' to a food for a short time, but if they sit with it, whether it's a breadbasket or a tray of cookies, it soon starts to wear down their resolve. My client, Matthew..frequently dines out with clients. Since he can't avoid eye contact with the breadbasket, his Boxed Out food, he uses the clever strategy of announcing at the beginning of the meal that the rolls look delicious, but he's sworn them off. 'It works every time,' he tells me. 'Once I've identified myself as a non-bread eater, I know I'll be embarrassed if I contadict myself. So I'm not tempted'" (95).

"My client, Annette, remains untroubled when buying cakes and cookies for her husband and children, although she has Boxed Out products made with white flour, fat, and sugar. She shrewdly chooses varieties made with raisins and nuts, which have no appeal for her. Another client buys pastries filled with whipped cream, which she dislikes, for her family. These women know how to strategize!" (97),

"Boxing It In and Box It Out can bring success to you, too. With these powerful strategies, you and you alone decide what foods you can and cannot control. You choose the foods that you will abstain from, limit, or continue to eat when you like based on your food history, sensitivities, and preferences. When you're in charge, when you have a vision of yourself as a trim person, when you know what is important to you, and you set the boundaries that work to help you reach your goals, you become a winner at weight control. You gain freedom forever from food struggles -- and a lifelong assurance of living thin" (99).

Can ya' see why I love this guy?!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #3505
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Im on it!
OMG you clever cloggs-where and how did you get that????????????????????
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #3506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/178/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: July 2009 ! Life changing April 9 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
I'm2... I just realised I did not congratulate you on your loss. WTG
Thank you but I don't feel like its a real loss until I get below the dreaded 155!!! I will; however, take it for now. . I see great loses in my future. .
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #3507
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamills View Post

I knew you would, neighbour!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #3508
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
luv ya! You were definitly my inspiration GT! You made me BELIEVE it can happen!
It can and it will!! No question!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #3509
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
OMG you clever cloggs-where and how did you get that????????????????????
want one???
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #3510
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Girl! You have done A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! You are real close! I'll be standing by the door with my arms open to let you in to ONDERLAND!!!!
Cute!!!!
Closed Thread