Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #661
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: newjeneed
Stats: 292.5/212/150
WOE: Simeons HCG Protocol
Start Date: 5/15/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarenee View Post
give it a few more days and up your calories a bit drink your H2o too! It might take a few days for your body to adjust from eating higher calories. your blood sugar might be to low and your body is retaining whatever calories u put in. I have the same prob when i bounce between the two! Good luck and thanks for posting! YAY! We got another buddy!

Hmmm you switch back and forth? Can you elaborate, that sounds interesting... I have read on here several times about refeeds and cycling and such but it sounds like a trap. There are days when I feel like if I have one bite of cheese someone will find me in the dairy section of the Harris Teeter with cheddar all over my face!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #662
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
The only thing I can see that would be "bad" is the soy sauce and the pickles. . Too much salt. .I would say you are retaining water. I'm not kidding when I say I can gain 5 pounds of just salt water. . Really. . Drink water and avoid anything salty for a day or two and you should see a big loss. You are probably not quite into ketosis yet so give it a day or so more.. Avoid those pickles. .they have carbs in 'em too.. Sorry :-(

Really 5lbs? Yikes! I do gain like that around TOM but I've never considered salt before...

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #663
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Newjeneed!! So glad you jumped in. Actually you are not a horrible lurker, you are a great one! LOL we didn't know you were there but now you are! We all lurk sometimes and it's a great strategy to get caught up and inspired.

Actually, on 100% QWL Stillman's you are not allowed to have pork of any kind. Maybe back then they didn't have lean pork? Or maybe it's the salt content. Any kind of ham seems to be very salt laden.

If salt is the culprit, you should be visited by the Whoosh Fairy as you get into ketosis. Then you will see a drop. Are you taking your vitamins? That's important too. Did you know that extra calcium tablets and even 1000 g of vitamin C per day promote weight loss?

Keep us posted! We are soooooooo rooting for you!!!
HAHA newjeneed = expert lurker

Everyone's so helpful here! Thank you for your response, I don't know why I haven't posted more.

I didn't know that about the pork thing, even though I've read the Stillman's directions a hundred times somehow I missed that. Thanks for the tips!

I'm off to shop for more legal meat and vitamin c tablets
Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #664
Junior LCF Member

Just realized too that I've been cooking some of my chicken with garlic salt....

YIKES
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #665
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjeneed View Post
There are days when I feel like if I have one bite of cheese someone will find me in the dairy section of the Harris Teeter with cheddar all over my face!

Thank you!

You are so cute! Master Lurker. lol.

I never salt anything. One thing I do use that tastes just like salt is Lemon Pepper. There ARE different brands. I always look at the ingredients and buy the one that really does have lemon and pepper and no salt. Some of them have salt listed as the first ingredient. Anyway, lemon pepper is really good and you can put it on just about anything.

You might think about getting "The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss" book. Copyright 1969 and it's out of print but you can always find it on Amazon.com for very cheap. Get a hard cover copy. It's worth it. Very, very inspiring. The way it's written is soooooo motivating and when I need a shot in the arm I always go back and start from chapter one.

In the book, you will read why he does not allow any pork or any deli meats. It has to do with salt and chemicals that block weight loss.

He also get's very detailed about the science behind why lean protein is so great for your body and how your body can get all the carbs it needs from the protein. He says animals eat carbs, so when we eat meat we are getting veggies and grains through them. Our bodies convert just enough of the protein into carbs so our metabolism gets revved up and there is no threat of insulin resistance like you can get when eating carbs.

Even though he gets scientific, he explains everything in simple terms so it's very easy to understand and just makes plain sense.

I have my original book from back in the day and it's falling apart! So I bought one recently that's almost like new. I also bought a hardcover copy of Stillman's "14 Day Shape Up Program" which is basically his original QWL diet with add ons like a minimum amount of non-starchy veggies, FF milk, etc. He suggests switching out every other week from "Protein-Plus" as he calls it and QWL.

Oh, and I just got a hard cover copy of his "The Doctor's Quick Loss Diet Cook Book". I really have not had a chance to read much of it yet, but am looking forward to getting some new ideas.

Today I was thinking about my ground beef omelet I made a week or so ago. Since I have so much turkey, I think tomorrow morning I will make a turkey, low-fat mozerella omelet. That's sounding good to me right now.

Have fun shopping!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #666
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisarenee
Stats: 207.3 GEEEZ
WOE: Stillmans QWL
Start Date: Restarted 9-22-10
Quote:
Hmmm you switch back and forth? Can you elaborate, that sounds interesting... I have read on here several times about refeeds and cycling and such but it sounds like a trap. There are days when I feel like if I have one bite of cheese someone will find me in the dairy section of the Harris Teeter with cheddar all over my face!

Thank you!
Omg too funny! I would be standing right next to ya saying pass me the swiss before someone notices! I need more fat around my menstrual cycle. So I do a lighter version of Atkins, I up my fat intake by adding some whole butter to meat and saute it. I also will incorporate some low sodium bacon too and a cheese stick or three.. depending on my mood LOL!!! Then I go back to Stillmans. I don't lose weight for a day or so, but then it comes off slowly at first then usually a few pounds here and there. I do keep my water intake high and try to eat less sodium. Like the trainer said do what your body needs, sometimes you have to tweek the menu a bit to get your body into high fat losing gear!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #667
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mizza11
Stats: 212/177.5/130-------- 187 when started stillman's
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 3/13/10-Low Fat ----4/12/10-Stillman's
I wanted to say hello. I am on day 3 of Stillman's and while I'm losing I have the worst headache. I hope to feel better soon cuz it's making me irritable!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #668
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza11 View Post
I wanted to say hello. I am on day 3 of Stillman's and while I'm losing I have the worst headache. I hope to feel better soon cuz it's making me irritable!!!
Mizza: So glad you joy-nd us

Are you drinking ALL your water and then some? Are you eating enough? Did you cut back on coffee or sodas or something that is giving you a caffeine headache or maybe a sugar withdrawal headache?

Make sure you don't let yourself get hungry. I don't ever get headaches, but I read in the book that one of the biggest culprits to cause headaches, bad breath and dizziness could be lack of fluids.

Another thought is regarding lack of potassium. It's so simple to go to any store and pick up a bottle of potassium tablets. They are small, easy to swallow and will really help with avoiding the bad side effects from ketosis.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #669
Senior LCF Member

I've had a headache all day as well. I have had plenty of fluids, but might not have eaten enough today. I was super busy
Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: GwnStfni
Stats: 231/168.4/131
WOE: Atkins & Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 02/13/2010
Good evening everyone!

Boy did I have a fat fest today. Seriously... Stillman's is so easy to stick with, never effects my stomach, never really makes me hungry, it's like a blessing!! But the lack of energy after a while does get to you and I really needed to load up on fat, not to mention calories as I have been at about 700 calories a day for around 2 weeks now...

Menu today:
B: 2 eggs, 4 slices bacon, coffee
S: Cheese stick, 5 slices pepperoni
L: 5oz burger w/ slice of cheddar, 3 strips bacon wrapped in a lettuce leaf
D: Hot wings... About 6 of them, really big ones

I had about 1800-2000 calories today, I think :blush:

Can I just tell you that I feel like I need to birth out a lead brick!? I am bloated, and my stomach feels like there is something very heavy sitting in there!!

Another thing is, usually when I have these high fat days, I am running to the bathroom right away because the fat just goes right through me, but I didn't go at all today! Kept thinking after every meal, better stay home for a while and see but nothing. I wonder if it's because I went two weeks on strict lean meats and my body is holding on to that fat or what? idk.

I am sure to be up a pound or two tomorrow... But, I think it's good for things and will keep me from having low calories for so long. I just really do not like this feeling in my stomach... There's way too much food in there!!

Mizza. Yes, the headaches will go away!! If you're on day 3, you're almost there, probably be another day or two, worst case. Good advice from Yam on the potassium too!!

Yam, thanks for the info on the pork products.... I have had pork chops here and there and I actually haven't read the book in soooo long, I completely forgot that pork chops were not allowed!!

Have a great night ladies!
Original Stats (6/9/03): 275/147 (128lbs lost)
Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #671
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
You might think about getting "The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss" book. Copyright 1969 and it's out of print but you can always find it on Amazon.com for very cheap.
I'm usually a HUGE proponent of reading the books. Maybe this slow weight loss is karma for my hypocrisy... I certainly preached at other people to read Atkins and GCBC I'll check Amazon... again, thanks for the tip!

Signed,
The Master Lurker
Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #672
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Omg too funny! I would be standing right next to ya saying pass me the swiss before someone notices!
It's sad but true... even though cheese is "low carb legal" it is more of a trigger for me than cookies!!! It was actually why I started low carb in the first place because I knew I could have bunless cheeseburgers!

I would like to explore this "cycling" a bit. Maybe the issue with people refeeding etc. is that they add too much stuff in at once. But you essentially add one new thing --> that is higher fat. I think I might try it if the need arises.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #673
Blabbermouth!!!

Gwn: I read somewhere that if you take two calcium citrate tablets with magnesium before you go to bed everything "will come out alright in the morning".
Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #674
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm usually a HUGE proponent of reading the books. Maybe this slow weight loss is karma for my hypocrisy... I certainly preached at other people to read Atkins and GCBC I'll check Amazon... again, thanks for the tip!

Signed,
The Master Lurker
Cool! Then we can have a book club. I love reading. And I love talking to someone about what I read!

Today I was all over the web reading about ketosis and low carb and protein and how our bodies work. Found some really great stuff and it motivated me even more!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #675
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, folks, I'm gonna call it quits for the day. Today was interesting for me in that the first week on Stillman's I was so full of energy I was almost hyper! I sure got lots of work done!

Today I was very serene. I like this feeling of being very calm, at peace, satisfied with myself and happy that I'm doing something good for my body. I like the energy, but I like serenity even better.

I've been sleeping better since I started LC as well. Look forward very much to snuggling in my comfy bed every night.

Hope you all sleep well and have a great LC day tomorrow. Sending good vibes for those who need a visit from the whoosh fairy! Nitey-Nite!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

i was crabby today! long day, headache all day! the whole nine yards, but one good thing,.. for some reason i got on the scale with my clothes on this eve and 1 weighed in at 181.. so I'm praying that the whoosh fairy is gonna stop by for her can of tuna and a few pounds of fat! have a great night everyone!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #677
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
Good Morning Everyone!!!! Im so sorry Ive been MIA!!! My mom stayed with me the last few days and Ive been running around like crazy shopping, planning and getting ready for my trip. In between field trips, doctor appointments, and getting waxed - I AM WIPED!! Im leaving early Saturday morning! Im back at work today and I cant wait to catch up on all the posts!

Still sticking with meat.meat.meat..and dropped a few more pounds.

Hope all is well! BBL
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Hiya AL!

Its great seeing ya! The whoosh fairy came last night picked up her can of tuna from under my pillow and took a pound of fat with her too! YAY!

My Stats are now 178, but I'm afraid to change them until after today!:blush:

I have a farewell party to attend at a place called Pizza Ranch! i don't eat the topping off the pizza!

So here is my daily menu, Hope I can stick to it!

B-2 hard boiled eggs w/(a tsp) light mayo
S-Sugar free Jello
L-2 turkey burgers w/ sf catchup and mustard
S-Chicken broth Soup
D-2 Turkey burgers w/ sf catchup and mustard
S-Chicken broth Soup

I don't even wanna go to Pizza Ranch! I'm sure I will end up eating the topping off a piece of pizza!!

Well If I do, I will just make sure to drink lots of fluids, and I will skip the chicken broth soup since its a bit high in sodium and fat. That should balance it out.. I hope!

Well off to a client! Have a great Day! I will Check back in and report the damage
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #679
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mizza11
Stats: 212/177.5/130-------- 187 when started stillman's
Start Date: 3/13/10-Low Fat ----4/12/10-Stillman's
I was wondering how your results are when you cycle in more fat. Do you tend to lose weight?? Or feel better?? I'm know I'm not eating enough but I'm afraid to add fats.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #680
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwnStfni View Post
Al, you mentioned your hair loss and I have a question about it. When I did Atkins 7 years ago, I started to lose my hair at about the 3 1/2 month mark. Does it happen sooner with Stillman's or about the same time? So far, I'm okay and I passed my 2 month mark yesterday. But, I am really trying to get the majority of this weight off with Stillman's and this is the longest I have done Stillman's, ever. I think I'm probably at about 4 weeks now, with just 3 or 4 high fat days thrown in. Also, I would say at about 4 1/2 - 5 months on Atkins, I started getting weird bruises all over my body... That's when I stopped doing induction and had lost almost 100lbs. I wondered if that happened to you on Stillman's, since you were on it for an extended period of time too. Just wanting to know what awaits me so I can fight like hell to get as much weight off as possible before these things start happening again because I truly believe (the bruises at least) were my body's way of telling me to start eating other foods... The hair loss I know is normal for most people so I'm expecting that, though not looking forward to it. Thanks for any insight you have!

I had hair loss and bruising with extended Atkins Induction, and every other diet Ive tried in the past. (especially the popcorn and peppers one! Ha!)

Except for now. My hair is healthier, looks better, grows faster, and not a black & blue in sight! I hope the same goes for you too! Everything about my health seems better since going meat/fat only. (I cant say its the vitamins, because I really have not been consistent at all.)

I would say that I was already experiencing the hair loss before I went on Stillmans and through the months of adding back fat, my body has been healing itself. I really cant describe how better I feel than ever before. Seems so unbelievable to say its because I dont eat veggies. Strange, isnt it?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #681
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebb View Post

Where are the other men we had on here earlier???? Did we scare them away??
I promise to never ever bring up waxing, wigs, or implants if the guys come back! But until then, I'ma have a field day!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #682
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I'm bribing myself with a new hair style. .I'm sick. sick. sick of doing my stringy hair every day!
gO GET YOUR HAIR DONE! yOU'LL FEEL LIKE A NEW WOMAN.. but that may lead to waxing, and wigging, and whitening.. (yup getting the teeth done tomorrow)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #683
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Anyway. .there is a special popcorn shop that sells all that wonderful flavored popcorn. My absolute favorite is Dill Pickle!! Yes. . they really make Dill pickle popcorn. It is wonderful but O so salty .. .almost like drinking vinegar. .
I WANT THIS!!!!! I bet its amazing!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #684
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have to admit. .I'm having a bit of withdrawal myself. I tried Al's ground beef diet and it started becoming a very bad habit. so I'm weaning myself.. Tuna, Turkey and Chicken shall be on the menu this week. .
another thing Ive done, is put cooked chicken breast/or pork in the ground beef while its almost done cooking. It gets the flavor of the beef, but it stretches it out so we're not eating as much fat.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #685
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sometimes if I can't get my coffee in, I stop at Starbucks and get an iced green tea and like you, I don't need to add anything to it, so it's even better for this WOE.
Im going to try this!!! I love everything iced! Not really a green tea drinker, but I never thought of drinking it cold. Great idea! THX
Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #686
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
your one of us now, so keep us posted! we all wanna see you in that beautiful wedding dress!
I totally agree Miggs! Please stay!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #687
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I already know I'm probably going to be up a pound tomorrow due to my high fat day today and I prepared myself for it, mentally. But I know it's good for my body, it's been telling me it needs some fat, so I'm totally okay with my weight bouncing around for the next 3-4 days. Then back to business.
You may be up but it will come back down with the quickness. I think you've got a great plan going for optimum results, quick loss with lean then upping the fat for health. I love love love it.

BTW everyone.... Fat is also a good way to "get things moving". Some of the stalls/and gains I was reading about earlier could have a lot to do with lack of elimination! (The same thing happens when you eat too much coconut oil. So beware)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #688
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I miss Al, already! I hope she's having the time of her life and I hope she doesn't worry one little bit about anything. She's been the poster child for Stillmans! I can't believe she's been so successful. . I think I would have given up a long time ago. . I've been doing this since July, too.. too many speed bumps with my health but I think we have it regulated now. I was supposed to go for my blood work sometime this week but I'm putting it off until next week when I feel back to "normal". .
I thought about you guys many times over the last few days! Im sorry again! I really wish you wouldnt put off your dr. appt. and I wish ilpirata would have come back with more thyroid info. Its just so unfair, but Im so glad you've stuck it out with me since the beginning! Where is GT????

I think we should get Stillmans t-shirts....I would wear it proudly!

PS- I was in the mall the other day and they had a HELLO KITTY STORE! See, I wasnt kidding when I say you were on my mind!!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #689
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I have not dived into my tuna yet. Couple of weeks ago Bumble Bee Chunk Light in water was on sale for .44 cents a can! And I had a $5.00 cash back coupon for that store, so I bought 33 cans. The expiration date is July of 2012 so it will last me a long time if I don't gobble it all up sooner.

Or, I could take a bath in tuna. It might just fill up the tub.

I wish I could strike a deal like this!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swebb
Stats: 253/251
Start Date: 03/10/2010 RESTART 08/01/11RERESTART 2/21/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizza11 View Post
I was wondering how your results are when you cycle in more fat. Do you tend to lose weight?? Or feel better?? I'm know I'm not eating enough but I'm afraid to add fats.
I tend to stall for a day or 2 but I feel better. The only problem seems to be that the fats give me diarrhea (TMI )

Sharon

Last edited by swebb; 04-15-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Closed Thread