Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/177/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: WW Life changing April 28 2014
Wow! Thank you everyone for all the information on the Ketosis.. I never experienced the nausia or anything. .I'll have to watch for the breath thing, too! I am sure hubby will let me know if its a problem. I can always count on him for that!! heheh.. I'll watch for the other signs. I know when I started Atkins, on day 3 I did get sick a little sick and light headed.. so I supposed I was in Ketosis for that hour!! ...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TeaLady
Stats: 164/159/135
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: January 4, 2010
IM2 - I'm going to drop the "fat' from your name (title) because I just don't like labeling you with a fat name. I'll call you IM2 which will stand for IM2 beautiful when the weight comes off. How about that positive reinforcement??

I hear you about the middle ages being hard to get the weight off. Actually I haven't tried hard enough. I hurt my back about 6 years ago and it changed my activity level. Now I've been slowly gaining 5-6 pounds each year and now I find myself 30 pounds overweight. The other thing is that I have a different job that puts me at a desk for 8-10 hours everyday. That can sure broaden out the seat fast. But I'm lucky because I have a 3 month layoff at work (planned...it's a good thing) and I plan to take that time to get that 30 pounds off with the Stillman diet. It's worked for me in the past so I think it will work for me now.

I'll gladly be one of your buddies to help you get to goal !!!

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs Nadal
Stats: 235/227/150
WOE: Stillmans/Carb cycling
Start Date: January 2010
Thanks for these tips tealady.

Today, I have been feeling empty, and irritable and did not know what to do with myself. Normally i would snack on something. I then realised that I was not hungry, did not want to eat but felt the need to do something..[/I]

I will have to get use to eating when I am hungry and not when I feel lost....
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Mrs. Nadal

It looks like you just started on the plan also. What day are you on? Congratulation on your 7 pound loss. Yes, it is hard to resist the food when you are feeling irritable and empty. That's where I add a piece of cheese. It seems to help me to not feel deprived. Don't do American Cheese. Do the zero carb cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Colby) and see if that helps today.

Also when I diet I do this little mind control thing everyday that helps me to stay committed. What I do is I write on a tablet (or a journal) all the reasons why I really want to take the weight off. Then I read the list 4-6 times a day. It seems to tell my brain that we want to keep on this track of working toward slimness and wellness.

Here is my current list. Every day I will add something to the list and as I conquer things on the list I reword the list. Here is my current list:

1. Remember how full and uncomfortable you feel.
2. Remember how heavy your body feels.
3. Remember how sweaty and uncomfortable you feel with this extra weight on board.
4. Is that food really worth it?????
5. Sugar does NOT really satisfy me. It is a liar.
6. What do you really want....a drink of water, maybe.....not food.
7. It fells good to be in control of my food intake again.
8. I did a good job with food today and I'll do it again tomorrow.
9. Marie inspires me. Keep that focus.
10. I hate how my underware feels going on these days...too tight.
11. I still feel breathless as I'm getting dressed. I don't like that.
12. My size 16's are pretty tight. Yes, I am too fat.
13. That's why we have to stay disciplined.
14. No cheating at all and we will see weight loss soon.
15. When I'm bored I need to call someone or chat on the Stillman page.

Make your own list everyday - or borrow mine but mentally put yourself in the game everyday and we will all achieve our goals together.

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Danceruk
Stats: at goal
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: Atkins August 2008 down 45lb/VLC/HCG
Hey guys

Is okay to check in here??

I am used to egg fasting- guess this is similar but without the fat?

Back after a long break, maintained weight, Currently 107

Fantastic thread guys
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Here's one other mental trick I use. I keep a one pound box of butter in my refrigerator that I don't use. I use this as measuring sticks. As I lose weight I measure out the size of the fat lost according to the size of the 4 sticks of butter. Then I create a physical replica of that fat so I can see it all day.

For example - I have lost two pounds so I have a carton of broth and 2 boxes of pudding mix sitting on my table, stacked up together. When I walk by those items I tell myself that is how much weight I have lost. Because it looks quite large (pick up 2 pounds of butter in the store and put them side by side in your cart and look at it...that is visually how much fat you have lost off your body if you lose 2 pounds)...because it is quite large it reminds me that I don't want to put that weight back on my body. When I am tempted to eat something I'm not suposed to have I put the items in a backpack and strap it to my back. It reminds me that if I eat that wrong item that I will be adding that weight back to my body. Try it....It is visually a boost and when you walk by those items all day you won't want to put that weight back on your body. If seeing the food on the table bothers you then wrap it in a pillowcase so you don't see the food. All you will see is a lump of weight.

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mork
help me imagine 30 pounds please!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Hi Danceruk

(are you a dancer in the United Kingdom ???)

Jump right in and enjoy our chat. We're all working on getting rid of our excess flab. Good for you for staying slim. You'll have to share your vegan lifestyle. When I'm not on Stillman I'm mostly a carb girl but the carbs seem to make me fatter as I age. I'm having to learn to eat more meat to keep the weight off. I'm not real crazy about meat so it's sort of hard for me...would rather have a nice salad with chick peas on it, a little vinegarette dressing and a sprinkle of cheese but I always feel hungry 2 hours later when I eat like that. So for weight loss I have to do the Stillman.

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Tealady - its not really a hungry feeling that I feel when I say I am empty, not quite sure what it is...I suppose I am just filling myself with food so I don't really have to feel if that makes sense.

I started stillmans on Sunday 3 Jan.

Welcome Danceuk - are you snowed in in norfolk? Its not so bad in London...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, T. . The Im2 just came from a very old thread and it used to be my WW name so I kept it..just kinda got used to it, I guess. . but thank you for that! now, I'll chuckle every time I type it. . Perhaps I should change it to Imaloser!

So glad you logged on. .we needed a little boost and you have some good info for us .. especially to remind us why we are here.. to be losers forever!!

LOSERS UNITE!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mork

30 pounds....WOW have you lost that much or do you want to lose that much?

Here's how you imagine 30 pounds. 2 ways...

1 - if you are close to a grocery store take a little road trip and go straight to the butter isle. Find the butter that comes in one pound sticks that equals a pound. Now put 30 packages in your cart...nothing else in the cart. Stack it all up in a block. 5 x 6 = 30 so stack it up that way. 6 boxes on the bottom and then stack it 5 rows high. Now look at it. Get that picture in your mind. Drive your shopping cart around the store through the isles for about 3 minutes. Now shop for any canned goods or dry goods that you need to purchase and put them in your cart so they equal the same amount of space that the 30 pounds of butter fills. Can you see that mass ???? Now, go put the butter back in the refrigerated section where you got it. Stack it neatly. Then go by your canned and dry goods for your family. When you get it home put all that weight in a back pack and carry it around for 30 minutes. It will remind you very quickly what 30 pounds feels like on your body.

2 - If you have a lot of canned goods in your house put them on your table. You can add up all the onuces on the can until you get to 30 pounds. A lot of canned goods are sold in 15 and 16 ounce cans. When you get those 30-40 cans stacked up to add up to 30 pounds take about 5 cans away from the pile to account for the actual weight of the tin can itself and you will be very close to your 30 pounds. Now put those 30-35 cans in a backpack and strap that on your back and walk around for 30 minutes (good workout by the way). If you have lost that 30 pounds I bet you don't want to put it back on your body and if you need to lose 30 pounds think of how good it will feel to get that weight off your body. Very good exercise to do...it really makes you think. Go for it.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shannon_
Stats: 137/132.6/125
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 1/05/10
Here is a fab way of checking out your own breath! Lick the back of your hand with your whole tongue and wait about 30 seconds or a bit less. Talk about foul odor! You will know!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

IM2

Yes, I like you better as a loser. Ha Ha !! I'm a loser too !! Let's all be losers so we can slip into a pair of skinny jeans in a few months.

I like WW too. I did the point system about 15 years ago when a friend of mine was struggling to lose about 100 pounds. I joined and went to meetings with her and I ate at the high end of the points so I would only lose about a half a pound a week. This way we got to go to WW for a long time. I lost about 10 pounds and she lost nearly 50. We still walk together about once a week. She is still about 40 pounds from her goal weight and just never really gets that done. I'm hoping as she sees me start losing my "mass" that she will get inspired and shag another 10-30 pounds off too. When I'm done with Stillman this time I'm going to go back on the point counting method to maintain. To tell you the truth my weakness is cookies....I am a total cookie monster but for the next 2 months I'm swearing off those sweet little morsles. They have gotten me in much too much trouble with the pounds.

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the warm welcomes

hehe shannon..images of me licking my hand in the office now!! hehe I like the sticks for a bit of self gratification!!

I am vegetarian at the moment, was a fat vegan lol lost 50lb on veggie atkins..but I am happier on very low carb keeping things simple stops me going loopy!!

Will trek the snow tommorow to get more eggs + cottage cheese- anyone had issues with cottage cheese slowing loses??

Very very snowy here in Norfolk, my manager slipped and broke her hand on monday..so I am being very careful. Been at home today, full of flu..going to try to wrap up and go in to help at work tommorow...in wellies!!

I do indeed dance..but not my full time job ..i wish lol bellydancing, pole and burleque mostly
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Shannon wrote:Here is a fab way of checking out your own breath! Lick the back of your hand with your whole tongue and wait about 30 seconds or a bit less. Talk about foul odor! You will know!

Oh my gosh, Shannon....I think I'll pass on that one. You need a piece of gum girl :

Truly - I use Melaleuca brand gum (no sugar - no calories) and it cuts right through that Ketosis breath.

Thanks for sharing though, Shannon....after I gagged I chuckled

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Danceruk,

Oh that is no fun to have the flu. Get well !!

What is veggie Atkins? That's a new one on me......50 pound loss....WOWZERS - That is terrific. There's some inspiration for us. That took some "real" will-power !! Congrats to you .

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

DancerUK, How many calories a day do you average? I suppose it doesnt mean a lot since you work out so much! How do you do mostly protein (based on looking at your cool blog) without feeling like passing out or nauseous after working out? If I could overcome that, then I would up my exercise intensity!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Just Atkins minus the meat.. actually pretty easy, lots of eggs & some use of meat replacement products

Thank you
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Mrs. Nadal

Yes, I know what you mean about feeling empty. Not food but just having that dull, depressed down, empty feeling. We all have days like that. Are you getting enough sunshine, Vitamin D, B Complex vitamins and fresh air? If you are not that can contribute to the slightly depressed moods. Or maybe it is that time of your cycle....those crazy hormones have their way of playing with our minds.. Or maybe you are upset by something or overworked and tired. Think it through - If it is that you are tired take a nap or go to bed early tonight. If something is bothering you resolve the issue or pray about it. If you are not getting enough oxygen go take a 20 minute walk. If you are not getting your vitamins go for it. I find that low energy mood thing is usually about the things I've just listed. Define it and go fix it ...you'll feel better but don't eat foods off your diet plan or you will feel even worse. And come talk it out with us so you don't cave and go grab a chocolate bar or something.

Cheers to you,
The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dlyons
Stats: 268/229
WOE: QWL
Start Date: 11/21/09
Hey Tea Lady,

Great advice! Glad that you are here and giving your advice and support to others in here! I am feeling much better on day 2 of Atkins's Fat Fast. Now, I'm ready to jump back to Stillman's. I tried on my 42 pants and they fit.... just a tad snug, but much better than it was last week!

I'm planning to make 2 pieces of chicken in the crockpot tonight so the food will be ready for my breakfast and lunch! I will follow Tea Lady's advice and pick up a package of colby cheese slices! Whoo-Hoo!

-Dustin
Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Here's another good food find...

I started using Truvia brand calorie-free sweetener this past summer and I really love it. It's made from the stevia plant and is a real, natural food instead of that fake, chemical yellow and pink packet sweetener. It tastes really sweet and doesn't give you an icky stomach like the sweet-n-low stuff. I get it at our local Wal-Mart and Target. Mostly I use it in my Iced Tea ( hince the Tea Lady)

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Hey there Dustin,

Enjoy the cheese. That sure makes my day better to add that to my Stillman diet. Remember just a couple slices a day.

Yes, I do that crockpot chicken too. I'm having that for my supper. I season with Old Bay Seasoning, some salt, a little parsley, and some garlic........lip smackin good !!

Good for you to see the pounds go down !! Congratulations

The Tea Lady
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #173
Junior LCF Member

Hi Tea lady

You know that saying "Your never upset for the reason you think" well I know that my new way of eating has nothing to do with the empty feeling that I have.

Their are sections of my life that I am struggling with at the moment, and food really helps with that "emotional pain" that one has.

Now that I am eating to lose weight and not to comfort myself, it just brings a lot of stuff up.

My vitamins are on point. I take:

Calcium & Magnesium
Omega 3
Potassium
Vit c
MSM

We have heavy snow here in England at the moment, and I like walking in it so I always get a good dose of fresh air.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #174
Junior LCF Member

Could someone explain what a crockpot is please? I'm from England so I do not know if we have that sort of thing here, but I may be able to find an equivalant..

I don't think we have colby cheese here, but we have cheddar, does it need to be full fat or half fat?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mrs. Nadal,

Here you go..... information on the Crock Pot AKA Slow Cooker.

Slow cooker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love my crock pot. I dress it in those small outfits and I take it out for long drives. I cannot live without my crock pot when I'm on Stillman's.

As for cheese.... I think Tea Lady is advising to pick a cheese that is low in fat and low in carbs. Stillman QWL is based on protein and cutting out as much fat as possible. So pick some cheese that is fat free and low in carbs.

-Dustin
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Can you offer up some easy crockpot/slowcooker recipes you use during Stillmans? My crockpot is begging to be turned on!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Hi Shannon,

I like very simple things and I don't like left overs. This is what I use:

I take 2 pieces of Chicken breasts or Pork Loin (thick ones)
I sprinkle Tony Chachere's creaole spices on both sides and I rub the spices into the meat
I place the pieces at the bottom of the crockpot in a single layer
I fill up the crockpot with water until the meat is covered

I put my crockpot on low and 8 hours later, the meat is very tender and will break apart very easily. I sneeze, the meat falls apart.

I am thinking of buying a second crockpot. I think someone here have 6 (or more) crockpots.... I thought those things multiply like rabbits!

-Dustin
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

aaaaahhhh, thanks dustin We can get slo cookers here in the U.K
Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dustin: Are you pointing fingers!??

Yes. .it's like a mad disease. .they keep growing and growing and growing. . in fact, the last time we chatted about slow cookers/crock pots. . I was getting that funny feeling again... Thank goodness, I refrained!

Forgive me for my repeats, veteran losers ,but to answer Shannon: If you are able, check out October - December's threads when you have time. We tossed around quite a few good ideas. .

Al makes a made turkey soup and swore by it for the first few months!

I make the BBQ Chicken at least once a week. (Seasoned chicken, 1/2 cup low carb ketchup and 12 oz diet soda - I use whatever we have but Dr. Pepper or Diet Cherry Pepsi is good) I make this in a pan but I suppose you could slow cook it, too.

I make the Teriyakki Chicken several times a week (a good slow cooker one).

I love stew meat with seasoning. .(onion soup mix is a good staple. just watch salt. and amount - one packet will usually do several meals.. . I usually use 1/2 packet and a variety of seasonings out of my cupboard.)

Another trick I like to do is throw some green pepper in with my meat while it cooks. Gives the meat some rich flavor and you can throw out the pepper slices when done.

Vinegar and chili seasoning make a good marinade for slow cookers, too. .

some of the wine/vinegarette salad dressings have no carbs or fat. .I think the Kraft Zesty Italian is one: I usually buy boneless, lean pork loin. .get it sliced and put it in a zip loc with the dressing in as marinade. I freeze it until I am ready to cook it. I usually grill outside, but I've done it in the slow cooker and on the George foreman and I've even baked them.

A slow cooker trick I highly recommend . .throw your meat in it frozen! Your chicken and turkey will be so moist you'll be amazed. I do entire turkey breasts this way and rub with onion soup mix. .You wouldn't believe how wonderful they come out.

One last trick. . I have several hungry boys I have to cook for so I will make them regular chicken breasts (with skin and bone) and coat with shake and bake, bake them in the oven and peel all the skin off for me. They stay really moist that way, too. . unless the carbs seep in through the skin. .I think it is a safe bet.

Can you tell, I'm wound up on coffee tonight! Whew. .I'm whipping myself out with my mouth! Sowwy!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

IM2 - put the coffe mug down and step away from the table...
Closed Thread