Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #1681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisarenee
Stats: 207.3 GEEEZ
WOE: Stillmans QWL
Start Date: Restarted 9-22-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveDogs08 View Post
I'm with you Lisa....LOL!
I hear ya on that one!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #1682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laparker View Post
I have been reading your thread and i have been a low carber for 3 years losing 112#'s and have recently been putting back on the pounds. YICKS!! What is the the tea thing i have read about here? Does it help reaching ketosis quicker? I am on day 1 today and water is the key word today to flush and keep full. I enjoy all the motivation you provide- Lori
LA Wow being a LC for three years is quite a challenge and truly a lifestyle change! Good for you hun! The other members say that sugar free items will sometimes stall you and some have said that it will actually put weight back on them! Unfortunately sugar free doesn't mean calorie free. Could this have to do with your recent weight gain?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #1683
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laparker
My weight gain is to do with going off low carb- and then it is so hard getting back on again. I want to be low carb forever! I am on day 1 today and feeling good about it. I have been drinking lots of water and keeping my mind focused on reaching ketosis. Just read somewhere earlier in this thread about doing the tea thing- didn't know if it helps with ketosis or just peeing! My true goal right now is reaching ketosis and staying there and losing some weight for good! Lori
Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #1684
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2fat View Post
Dustin. Dustin. .you can't be found
I sure hope you're safe and sound

We can win this battle
we know how to fight
let us all join together
as losers. . . UNITE!!
I love This part of the poem the best!! Very creative.
i was worried Dustin too!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #1685
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My weight gain is to do with going off low carb- and then it is so hard getting back on again. I want to be low carb forever! I am on day 1 today and feeling good about it. I have been drinking lots of water and keeping my mind focused on reaching ketosis. Just read somewhere earlier in this thread about doing the tea thing- didn't know if it helps with ketosis or just peeing! My true goal right now is reaching ketosis and staying there and losing some weight for good! Lori
o i c! that's what happened to me! i lost my fiance, home, car, job etc and had to stay with friends and family til i got back on my feet! I ended up eating their way and gaining weight! Hey beggars can't be choosers right!? Then I moved in with my b/f who is a carbaholic.. he eats 318 carbs in his lunch a day.. that doesn't include supper or snacks, but he works out so being active helps him burn the calories and carbs. I started back on the 8th of Jan and have done well. I started on atkins then went to an atkins/stillmans version.. i think to get me off the fat and now i am on just stillmans. I have fallen off the wagon and had to get picked up and put back by our members twice already! they are really supportive and knowledgeable!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #1686
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: IM2fat
Stats: 190/178/150/140
WOE: Stillmans / ww pp
Start Date: July 2009 ! Life changing April 9 2012
Lisa: I am positive once your b/f starts seeing your results and how much more energy you have, he may just jump on the bandwagon. My hubby did the same thing.. now he's more of a meat pusher than I am! The only carb I can't seem to do without is Popcorn. . I really was addicted.. . When I was doing WW. . I ate it at least once, if not twice a day! Wowsers. .I did OD on carbs which was probably why I couldn't get my weight off this last time. . .

I'm missing Mrs. T, too! What the heck - is everyone on vacation or what?

Feebs is MIA, too. .

I sure hope you guys are just lurking . .we want you to come back. .you can do this.. it really isn't too difficult once you get used it. In fact, it has been the easiest diet I've ever done.. no counting, no weighing, no measuring. . just eat, eat, eat! What could be better? Sure, you'll miss a few things here and there, you may even nibble on something. . but in the end, you will be more in love with how you feel, how your clothes fit and how much energy you have! I have to keep looking forward because my closet is too full of small(er) stuff to ever go back! I promised myself, in writing, that I would never allow myself to be as heavy as I was last summer! It was the worst summer, ever.. Stressed and so ready to change.. I have to keep reminding myself of that feeling whenever I get a little sassy! OK. .this moment of guilt was brought to you by the candy dish I keep at my desk.. I know. .I know. . but I am happy to report. I have not taken a piece out of it in over 5 months! Wooo Hooo. . .Everytime I take it away, everyone complains! I secretly smile to myself when the big rolly, pollies sludge on over and take a piece or two! I'm evil. .I know. . Note: signature!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #1687
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MustLoveDogs08
Stats: 162/149/130
WOE: Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: On and off since 2000. Restart 01/01/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarenee View Post
Well I ended up eating one cheese stick and ,one chicken breast and no turkey or egg. I don't have much of an appetite today! I drank two 33.8 oz bottles of water with one pack of decaf peach flavored tea.

I am gonna try to cut out the egg and cheese stick. I will eat nothing but meat! meat and mmm more meat! I feel like a T-rex or something! And to think I was a vegetarian for three years! Potato, chips, sugar, bread all the bad stuff is still vegetarian LOL.. or at least it was for me

I want to lose 5 lbs this week! Thats my goal, but I wont know for sure if I will make it since I refuse to get on the scale til the 31st! I want to see exactly how much weight I lost in just under a month.

When I went for my physical on Jan. 4th they weighed me at 187 pounds. So far I am at 169. so not bad!

I am finding that I have a bit of a bad attitude when I go into deep ketosis. I stopped checking the sticks because my urine is so diluted that they don't register! Not even first thing in the morning!

Does anyone else have a bad attitude when they are in deep ketosis?
I don't check, but I know I was a B*&^h this morning. I snapped at the dogs, the cats and the hubby....

That is a GREAT weight loss! I started the first and have lost only about 7 pounds, but then I am doing more Atkins than Stillmans. I am thinking about joining you all on the few days strict Stillman's. I just need to wait until all of my veggies are gone....
Kathy
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #1688
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MustLoveDogs08
Stats: 162/149/130
WOE: Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: On and off since 2000. Restart 01/01/10
Quote:
Lisa: I am positive once your b/f starts seeing your results and how much more energy you have, he may just jump on the bandwagon. My hubby did the same thing.. now he's more of a meat pusher than I am! The only carb I can't seem to do without is Popcorn. . I really was addicted.. . When I was doing WW. . I ate it at least once, if not twice a day! Wowsers. .I did OD on carbs which was probably why I couldn't get my weight off this last time. . .

I'm missing Mrs. T, too! What the heck - is everyone on vacation or what?

Feebs is MIA, too. .

I sure hope you guys are just lurking . .we want you to come back. .you can do this.. it really isn't too difficult once you get used it. In fact, it has been the easiest diet I've ever done.. no counting, no weighing, no measuring. . just eat, eat, eat! What could be better? Sure, you'll miss a few things here and there, you may even nibble on something. . but in the end, you will be more in love with how you feel, how your clothes fit and how much energy you have! I have to keep looking forward because my closet is too full of small(er) stuff to ever go back! I promised myself, in writing, that I would never allow myself to be as heavy as I was last summer! It was the worst summer, ever.. Stressed and so ready to change.. I have to keep reminding myself of that feeling whenever I get a little sassy! OK. .this moment of guilt was brought to you by the candy dish I keep at my desk.. I know. .I know. . but I am happy to report. I have not taken a piece out of it in over 5 months! Wooo Hooo. . .Everytime I take it away, everyone complains! I secretly smile to myself when the big rolly, pollies sludge on over and take a piece or two! I'm evil. .I know. . Note: signature!
Ditto everything you just said.... I swear this is the only way to lose weight. I have tried low fat, vegetarian, and WW. I am always starving and end up eating way too many so-called "legal" foods. Yes, Stillman's is strict and pretty boring, but I mix some Atkins days in there so as not to get too bored (like my awesome fried brussel sprouts!) But even chicken is tasty with some hot sauce...
Kathy
Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #1689
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laparker
Hi all- I am so happy i have found this forum- i love to read about how everyone is doing. I had some canadian bacon w/melted farmers cheese for dinner just a while ago and it filled me up. The water has helped too! Evenings are the worst time for me- i eat when i am bored! But now i can come on here and post and read and get some support and encouragement. Day 1 almost over! Feeling tired and will read for a while and hit the bed. I feel so much better about myself when i accomplished my goal for the day!! I stayed on plan- yahoo!! Lori
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #1690
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RENEWED
Stats: 190/150/140
Finished Day 1. Whew! I had a little more fat then I should have. Put a squirt of mayo in my tuna to suppress my appetite and luckily it worked. Didn't get hungry anymore after that and that was at 4pm! So I'm feeling pretty good. It would be much easier with the veggies though. At least throw a girl some lettuce! Sheesh!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #1691
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi all- I am so happy i have found this forum- i love to read about how everyone is doing. I had some canadian bacon w/melted farmers cheese for dinner just a while ago and it filled me up. The water has helped too! Evenings are the worst time for me- i eat when i am bored! But now i can come on here and post and read and get some support and encouragement. Day 1 almost over! Feeling tired and will read for a while and hit the bed. I feel so much better about myself when i accomplished my goal for the day!! I stayed on plan- yahoo!! Lori
Good job! woohoo way to go!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #1692
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: aleriaaa
Stats: 189/127/110 5'2"
WOE: QWL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEWED View Post
Aleria!

You're the best! Alright, I can do this. I'm sure this weekend will be kind of messed up when I go to Florida for a couple of days (just because of eating out, but I can always order grilled chicken breast)...

Oh how I will miss the coffee. I just cannot drink it black..even sweetned. I just can't do it. So you had Crystal Light? Hmm.. ok. I will still try to go as long as I can with just drinking water though.

I don't see any eggs on your list!

I was thinking that I will make more the Rev Rolls with mostly whites and that should help me choke the dry chicken down a little better ... having it on a "sandwich" should mentally help me through.
Hey Renewed! Eating out is so much fun! What other diet can you go out and order a 22 oz. steak with a side of chicken. yum. yum. yum.

Coffee by far was my biggest obstacle to conquer. I was a light and sweet girl for sure. When I picked a day to start QWL, the cream went bye bye. I still use S&L, but only one in a double. After a horrible 3-4 cranky, miserable, tired days I was good to go and never turned back! You can so do this!!! I would suck down the black coffee anyway since you may end up with a headache that derails you. Just cool it off and drink up..

ps...nope. no eggs...when I started, I tweaked a few things that didnt make sense to me. Why would stillman make me cut off the fat on a steak or pork chop, but allow me all the eggs I want? My other two tweaks are cocktail sauce and ketchup. Why would he tell me not to eat tomatoes, but the others are ok? at least tomatoes dont have added sugar. and cottage cheese? I just dont like it. I do realize though its to make the "all protein" diet palatable.

sorry Im dissing condiments guys.....

Looking at my journal online, I realize what a freak I must seem to be....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #1693
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

When I went for my physical on Jan. 4th they weighed me at 187 pounds. So far I am at 169. so not bad!

I am finding that I have a bit of a bad attitude when I go into deep ketosis. I stopped checking the sticks because my urine is so diluted that they don't register! Not even first thing in the morning!

Does anyone else have a bad attitude when they are in deep ketosis?
Hey T-Rex!!!!
Great results in a very short period of time! Just another satisfied customer, I'd say. You must feel great! (even if you are a little grumpy)

I have a very bad attitude in ketosis. For the sake of my family, I go to bed.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #1694
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Renewed. . you are almost there. Only a few more hours and the worst will be behind you. . ((( good thing for sleep, eh?))) Get plenty.. . it does help and don't forget to take your vitamins. . I know a lot of us take different stuff but I believe in them. .My family has been very healthy this winter. ((knock on wood))). . .You want to stay healthy as you waist away to nuthin!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #1695
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The bad attitude thing. does that explain why I'm crabby today. .could it be Ketosis? Maybe I feel better already!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #1696
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
., I dont' think I ever, really go into Ketosis. . I wonder if this is possible? I think I'll google it and check it out....
Hi IM2!!! Did you find anything out??? I think after a couple weeks without the carbs, our bodies become keto-adapted. Perhaps if we had cheats or refeeds though, it would start over, but Im not sure how big the cheat would have to be. Im very curious and will try to do some research too.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #1697
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nermo View Post
ok Don't know what the heck is going on- I am up a pound I have been doing everything right and stopped with the gum chewing. I think it all that so -called grilled stuff I am eating out- but at least I'm not eating rice and bread and stuff.

Anyway I hope to see that number go down 257 here
Hi nermo! The grilled foods at restaurants probably contain sugar. Im sorry Im always the bearer of bad news. Dont do a refeed. You are doing a great job and sometimes the scale wil bounce around but it always comes back down if you stick to plan. You can do this!!! I know its so boring but give it another couple days and see how you feel. Your energy is still up right, are you feeling good?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #1698
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The gum is fine if you are losing, but you have to limit it. Don't eat a pack a day, but a piece or two seems to be okay with me!
I agree with Lisa on this one!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1699
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here's some interesting stuff I found out: some I knew. . some I didn't. .

What is Ketosis?
Ketosis is the name for a state many people go through when starting a low-carbohydrate diet. In involves a loss of fat and it happens because, in the absence of sugar, the body will break down fat to use as fuel.

This fuel is known as ketones, and the process of creating ketones in the liver and the body's use of them is called ketosis.

Understanding Ketosis Symptoms
You can actually develop ketosis symptoms that will let you know this is happening in your body. For a lot of people who begin a low-carb diet, this seems to happen three or four days into the process.

Some ketosis symptoms include:

Tiredness or fatigue
Headache
Feeling thirsty all the time
Bad breath
Metallic taste in the mouth
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or stomach ache
Sleep problems
Ketosis symptoms usually last for several days—up to a week in some people—until the body is used to burning fat instead of glucose. The levels of ketones in the body (which can be measure through a urine test) will go down, but that does not mean that you are no longer losing weight. It simply means that your body has found balance and is no longer producing excess ketones.

Sometimes low-carb dieters never seem to reach ketosis, or at least never have the urine test strips indicate excess ketones (the strip turns purple when there are excess ketones). This could be because exercising has used up the excess ketones or the urine is diluted from drinking a lot of water. This doesn't mean these people aren't burning fat, just that they aren't registering as technically being in ketosis
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #1700
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I sure hope you guys are just lurking . .we want you to come back. .you can do this.. it really isn't too difficult once you get used it. In fact, it has been the easiest diet I've ever done.. no counting, no weighing, no measuring. . just eat, eat, eat! What could be better? Sure, you'll miss a few things here and there, you may even nibble on something. . but in the end, you will be more in love with how you feel, how your clothes fit and how much energy you have!
You can say this again and again and again! Woohoo to us because we know the secret to success!!! But we dont mind sharing with anyone else out there?? The door's always open!

IM2-you so have a way with words. ya!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #1701
Junior LCF Member

OK. Good thing you reminded me that I only have a few hours left, because I swear I want to go in the kitchen and get some cottage cheese now. But for what? I'm in the bed...and I'm not dying, so I just need to lay down!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #1702
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Here's some interesting stuff I found out: some I knew. . some I didn't. .

What is Ketosis?
Ketosis is the name for a state many people go through when starting a low-carbohydrate diet. In involves a loss of fat and it happens because, in the absence of sugar, the body will break down fat to use as fuel.

This fuel is known as ketones, and the process of creating ketones in the liver and the body's use of them is called ketosis.

Understanding Ketosis Symptoms
You can actually develop ketosis symptoms that will let you know this is happening in your body. For a lot of people who begin a low-carb diet, this seems to happen three or four days into the process.

Some ketosis symptoms include:

Tiredness or fatigue
Headache
Feeling thirsty all the time
Bad breath
Metallic taste in the mouth
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or stomach ache
Sleep problems
Ketosis symptoms usually last for several days—up to a week in some people—until the body is used to burning fat instead of glucose. The levels of ketones in the body (which can be measure through a urine test) will go down, but that does not mean that you are no longer losing weight. It simply means that your body has found balance and is no longer producing excess ketones.

Sometimes low-carb dieters never seem to reach ketosis, or at least never have the urine test strips indicate excess ketones (the strip turns purple when there are excess ketones). This could be because exercising has used up the excess ketones or the urine is diluted from drinking a lot of water. This doesn't mean these people aren't burning fat, just that they aren't registering as technically being in ketosis
Another great post IM2! Guess the last paragraph sums it up for you, you waterholic, you. (I have had all the symptoms of ketosis, accept the sleep problems. Nothing keeps me up when Im ready for bed...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #1703
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEWED View Post
OK. Good thing you reminded me that I only have a few hours left, because I swear I want to go in the kitchen and get some cottage cheese now. But for what? I'm in the bed...and I'm not dying, so I just need to lay down!!!!!
YES! Stay down! Or guzzle down a few glasses of water..but then you'll be up and down all night....so yeah...stay down.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #1704
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!!! I'm staying in the bed and going to sleep! I want to see something nice on the scale tomorrow morning!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #1705
Senior LCF Member

Al- wow you really did a great job with your journal! One question for ya. How much food were you eating? I swear some days I feel like I could devour a whole turkey and other days a can of tuna would do the trick for me.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #1706
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

O. here's some more stuff. .
The liver begins to catabolize (break down) the extra fatty acids when they are not being utilized by the cells; however, the liver does not have the enzyme necessary for complete catabolism of the fatty acids. This causes the discharge of the ketone molecules into the blood. The strange taste in the mouth and mild breath odor shows the presence of these ketones. Other body cells can utilize the ketones for energy. The brain can utilize ketones contrary to the myth that the brain must be powered by glucose only; although, some areas of the brain still require glucose which the body makes from amino acids or fats. Ketones are the preferred energy source for the muscles of the heart.

The body begins to utilize the fatty acids for energy more efficiently after a few weeks on the low-carbohydrate diet, and the ketone level drops to normal. This does not mean a person is not losing weight. It means the body is becoming a more efficient fat burner.

History pictures and movies taken during the rescue of inmates in German concentration camp at the end of World War II show the brain and heart can endure harsh starvation. The bodies of the poor victims were almost completely depleted of muscle mass because the bodies were consuming muscle protein as fuel to stay alive. The concentration camp survivors showed excellent mental capacity when interviewed many years later and many lived to very old age. The heart muscle eventually gives out during starvation but that does no occur until the person is so weak and frail they cannot stand or walk. The brain and heart survive surprisingly well during starvation. The observation of German concentration camp inmates proves that a low-carbohydrate diet has no detrimental effect on the brain or heart as falsely claimed by many professional nutritionists.

The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrate needed in the diet is ZERO -- NONE. Carbohydrates are not a requirement for any body function. In fact it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long-term health. Age-related degenerative diseases are caused by high levels of carbohydrates in the diet. One can be on a very low or zero-carbohydrate diet indefinitely as has been shown by the study of many primitive societies . .

and this scientific lesson is being brought to you by the letter M for "meat"!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #1707
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Renewed: Cottage cheese is legal. .but think if you really, really need it? Will it make you feel better, sleep better? Yes. .No? Is your stomach growling? If not, I'm with Al. .guzzle the water and have sweet dreams. .
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #1708
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK. .Seriously.. Where the heck is Dustin??? Hubby thinks perhaps his blind date went really, really well and he's still on it? You think?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nermo
Stats: 272/198 /180 for now
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: jan2010
hmmmmmm Al, this morning I am 255 So i dunno !
Anyway I am feeling absolutely fine, so I will try for the next couple of days eating at home and seeingwhat happens !

I u all !
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #1710
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nermo! 255 .. WTG. . you are below your stats which is huge!!! Celebrate with a big, huge glass of W*A*T*E*R!!!

We Love you, too!!! Don't leave us until we are all at goal.. I'll stay on as long as you stay on. .deal?
Closed Thread