Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaCeleste
Stats: 259/250/155
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: 6/23/13
Stillmans VS. Atkins

Can someone explain to me how both of these diet Gurus can be right? Atkins says the best way to lose weight doing low carb is by eating plenty of fat, however Stillmans claims to get fast results by restricting fat intake!

Can anyone shed some light on this as I am really confused!!!!!!:blush:
LisaCeleste is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eetinmeet
Stats: 273/261/130
WOE: stillman 14day/QWL cycle
Start Date: 1/27/09
well...everybody claims that their diet is the best...

it may just be different per individual.

Stillman's QWL tends to be quicker and more consistant as far as weight loss, but is strict and hard to stay on...at least in the beginning.

Atkins starts out quick,but slows down after the 1st week or 2 and many people plateau more. BUT...it's easier to stay on for the long haul for many people because of the food choices.

I opted for something in the middle, which is Stillman's 14 Day Shape Up plan which offers a few more choices, but is still lowfat.

we DO need some fats in our diet..... I feel more comfortable choosing healthier fats such as omega 3 from fish, canola and olive oils as opposed to saturated fats from fatty meats. some fat in your diet isn't going stop weight loss unless you go over the amount of energy you can burn in one day.

and of course we STILL need to stop overeating, regardless of what plan we choose.

some folks choose Atkins and eat too much. we really shouldn't eat more than 20-30 grams of protein in one meal. if you stick to that and the other rules of the plan, then you probably won't overeat.

Last edited by eetinmeet; 02-05-2009 at 02:32 PM..
eetinmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
When I was back in college, in the early 80's, I did Stillman and stayed strictly to plan. I didn't go crazy on the minimal fat thing, even ate one slice of American cheese on my hamburgers (no bun) and lost 47 pounds in 3 months. I started at 180 lbs.
I remained on Stillman for a few months after that, since I had lost all cravings for anything much.
I lived meat, fish, eggs and cheese for a long time. No health problems and the weight came off. I lose more slowly on Atkins, even Induction, but I'm a bit older now and love the addition of some green in my intake.
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cat5fan
Stats: 198/189/6 pack abs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/22/12
Both diets are ketogenic, driving you to ketosis. Stillman is more restrictive giving your body only protein (limited fat) so it must "eat" the fat off of the body for fuel. It is easier for the body to use its own fat rather than convert the protein into fuel. Stillmans will produce more weight loss but being more food choice restrictive will have more failures. Meaning more people will not follow the plan or fall off of it more quickly.
cat5fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 03/26/12
Atkins allows fattier foods, meats, and some low carb veggies whereas Stillman's focuses on lean meats, low fat cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, lean fish. I didn't tolerate all of the fat allowed on Atkins well and had to quit within a week. However, my system does tolerate Stillman's on low fat/low carb/lean proteins.

You will have to experiment for yourself what your body can tolerate. You will know.

Best of luck!
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote