Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erickajean
Stats: 14/12/4
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 9, 2008
What Is The Stillman Diet?

I've never heard of this before today, does anyone have some info? Is it the same as Atkins? All this LC info is so confusing for me, I'm a new-bee at all this. I am on day 3 of induction and am wondering if one is better than other. I have finally learned that ******* is crap, thanks to everyone here. So, again, your feedback here would be awesome!

Thanks!
erickajean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: anniemo
WOE: whole organic lc
i think stillman's is used to break through stalls but not sustainable. i think it is meant to be a temporary diet as opposed to a woe like atkins. i'm not completely sure because stillman's is one of the books i haven't read.
anniemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Ericka get a copy of DANDR! It will help you out so much. Another good book I can recommend is Johnny Bowden's "Living the Low Carb Life", it explains why l works and gives an overview of 17 different lc WOE. You can check out Stillman's in the Other Plans Forum-read the sticky at the top, it'll give you lots of good info. You keep right on asking questions and researching-you're on the right path!
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #4

Gallery: JuliaL
Stats: 190/143/140 16/6/6, height 5'8", age 49
WOE: Atkins/BFFM
Start Date: 4/22/03
Ericka - Stillmans is a very restrictive diet. I think you should stick with Atkins a bit longer and see how you do before you decide to look at other plans. Atkins is great, and for most people it works just fine.
JuliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Buy the book and read it! It is so worth it. You'll refer to it a lot. Here, we can tell you what we know, but it's secondhand. From the good Dr Atkins, it's right from the super mensch's mouth!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #6

Gallery: fawn
Extreme diets do not work in the long run. Calorie restriction only sets you up for failure later when trying to maintain.
I recommend Atkins, do some research and when you get to know your body, you will be able to tweak things here and there.

I got to goal on no less than 1800 calories a day.

To this day, I eat about that.

I eat only whole real full fat foods and love them.
fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: OhYeahBabe
Fawn, I really appreciated your perspective in your response. Thanks!

ErikaJean - you've gotten some awesome advice. Good luck to you!
OhYeahBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dointhis4me
Stats: 258.8/249.4/165
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 3/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn View Post

I got to goal on no less than 1800 calories a day.

To this day, I eat about that.
Don't mean to threadjack but Fawn I am so happy to see this! I have been worried because I just started using ****** again and my calories have been over 1600 each day and I was worried I was eating too much...I love the knowledge you bring to this board!
dointhis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annaserv
Stats: 177/149/132
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/23/03
I tried breaking a stall with Stillsmans a while back. The only thing it did for me is give me vegetable carvings and made be soo appreciate Atkins when I was done with it. Lost no weight on it and felt exhausted. Maybe that's why I didn't lose any weight I was so inactive and tired.
annaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #10

Girls....I've been doing a lot of reading while on vacation. I've noticed that when I pull back on calories and/or fat, I bloat and potentially gain more easily.

In some reading I've done, my diet has been substantiated in many different ways. Interestingly enough, in the book "The Diet Cure" Julia Ross claims that there is no substantial evidence or studies out there that claims calories count. Quality food counts with higher fat contents.
She also states that the body can be re-trained to tolerate higher calorie intake with the right foods. Those that are calorie resistant can in fact re-train their bodies but you must expect a slight gain and then a loss and leveling.
Low calorie diets are quite detrimental to the body. I'll post more as I get through the book but this is in the first couple of chapters. It's a killer read quite honestly.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Extreme diets do not work in the long run. Calorie restriction only sets you up for failure later when trying to maintain.

*This is so very true and extremely important to remember!!!*

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweet_Me
Stats: 340/312/145
WOE: My Way
Quote:
Interestingly enough, in the book "The Diet Cure" Julia Ross claims that there is no substantial evidence or studies out there that claims calories count. Quality food counts with higher fat contents.
I wish my computer had never crashed. I had some great links to studies that DO show that calories count, but different foods are processed diffrently.
Sweet_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: knoxvegas
I went on Atkins after KK and gained 30 plus pounds. Not for me. Different things work for different people.
knoxvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erickajean
Stats: 14/12/4
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 9, 2008
I have been doing A72, the original Atkins. After lots of research, I felt it was best for me. I am already down 4 lbs, and have NO CRAVINGS! I have always had cravings, so going through the day feeling satisfied is wonderful. Also, I am eating fats like mayo and olive oil!!!
erickajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Me View Post
I wish my computer had never crashed. I had some great links to studies that DO show that calories count, but different foods are processed diffrently.

When one is eating the highest quality of foods, ie: highest nutrient density, it has been proven over and over that calories are less significant.
I am proof of this.

I kept my carbs very low for a very long time. However, I was also eating a lot of splenda products and low carb processed foods. The moment I cut out anything processed, added additiona fat, veggies and fruit, I slimmed immediately.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweet_Me
Stats: 340/312/145
WOE: My Way
When one is eating the highest quality of foods, ie: highest nutrient density, it has been proven over and over that calories are less significant.
I am proof of this.

I think we might be saying similar things. I too lose easier when I am eating more whole unprocessed foods. What I was trying to say that if you eat 4000 calories of even whole foods you are not that likely to loose unless your activity levels support that.

~Gwen
Sweet_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #17

Ah I see what you are saying Gwen.....
4000 calories is definitey a lot isn't it?
I think one would have a difficult time eating that many calories in a nutrient dense diet. Although, I've seen stranger things!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Donnalb3000
it depends the quick weight lost one you do to lose weight fat for a shortime. The other one you do it for 14 days you can have a little bit of skim milk for coffer.
1/2cup of cottage cheese.
Vegtable too.
meat eggs
That what I'm doing
Donnalb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dmazzei54
Dee from Brighton, Michigan

The Stillman diet became the rage back in the 1960's. I went on it and lost 35 pounds back then. It is protein only and if you stayed on it, you would starve to death. The body would burn up all the fat and then start to burn muscle, so obviously you cannot stay on it for a lifetime. It is a great quick loss diet. You can probably find Dr. Stillman's book at Amazon.com and the diet DOES work. When you take in only protein, the body is forced to burn its fat. If you take in carbs, your body will burn the carbs before turning to the fat to burn. That's one reason I never endorsed the Atkins Diet. Neither the Atkins nor the Stillman diet are healthy in the real long term, but the Stillman diet is great for removing lots of fat, but then you have to learn how to maintain. What I did for years was lost the weight, weighed in every day and immediately went back on the diet once I gained 3 pounds. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps.
dmazzei54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

What are whole real full fat foods? I am retired and would never burn off 1800 calories a day, am too sendentary, hate exercise and will never do it. But would appreciate a definition on what whole real full fat foods are. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Sorry, the bottom line will always be calories. Look at any diet and you will see that it's calories that DO count.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #22

Let me be more clear

Whole, real, full fat foods are foods that are obtained in their most natural state. No fats are removed from my foods. I drink raw milk, eat grass fed beef, wild caught salmon and pastured eggs. I eat full fat yogurts and cottage cheese, coconut oil, butter, and raw cheese. I eat about 5-7 cups of green leafys and sometimes 1 crunchy veggie a day.

Why don't calories count for me? My appetite is naturally sustained with higher nutrient density therefore, I don't need to count calories. My body is doing its job by telling me when I am satiated without over fullness.

This has taken time for me to achieve. It was a goal because I am too lazy to track my food and never in history have we ever had to worry about it until the additives in todays food.

In example, in studies, high fructose corn syrup by passes all satiety mechanisms in the body essentially never triggering satiety signals completely messing up your leptin signals.

Yes, of course if one consumes 4000 calories a day they probably won't lose weight especially if sedentary.

Biochemical individuality always dictates your personal tolerance level of anything.

Last edited by fawn; 02-01-2010 at 08:56 AM..