Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Spring Into Action!!

Let's do a Spring daily check-in thread that we can use through the end of June!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0891.jpg (50.2 KB, 2 views)
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't know how to make the picture nice and big like Rose does! But the photo above is a beautiful orchid from the lush gardens at East Martello Tower (the ruins of a civil war era fort), that are tended by the Key West Garden Club. I took about 50 pics there, but this was my favorite.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Looks good! Thanks Cindy!
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, all! Hope you don't mind my joining you. I am on week 2 of Phase 1. Hanging in there!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Girl View Post
Hi, all! Hope you don't mind my joining you. I am on week 2 of Phase 1. Hanging in there!
We are happy to have you join us...we've been losing people lately and I would love to see this group get revved up again!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! I tried doing Metabolism Miracle and it was rather disappointing. Talk about tough: an 8-week Phase 1! And I lost very little, though I followed it to a T. I think I lost 5 pounds in eight weeks, and then I was so depressed about that I gained three back. I did SBD three years ago, lost 20 lbs, and gained 10 back when my dad passed away and I had to deal with his estate issues--stress! Back on the Beach... First week down, feeling good about it!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Welcome!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's rainy morning here at the Jersey Shore and I decided to use that as an excuse to take a day off from exercising!

Yesterday's menu:

B: leftover pork tenderloin, with spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes
S: yogurt
L: big bowl of spring mix with chicken, celery, dab of mayo and tomatoes. NSA fudgsicle
S: too busy at work!
D: Oven roasted broccoli topped with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and my world famous Turkey Meatloaf Provençale. (You can search for it on here, if you like...uses ground turkey, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, etc.)

And I ran 5 miles in the morning.

Pretty good day, all in all.

What is everyone else eating this week??

2014 Running Miles: 328
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 456
Old 04-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrooklynRN
Stats: 172/162.5/155
WOE: South Beach Diet
Good morning everyone!

Hoping to join you all here. I'm (re)starting Phase 1 today (today!). I'm 35 years old looking to lose about 15-20lbs. I've had success with SBD in the past - hoping for success again! Wish me luck.
BrooklynRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRN View Post
Good morning everyone!

Hoping to join you all here. I'm (re)starting Phase 1 today (today!). I'm 35 years old looking to lose about 15-20lbs. I've had success with SBD in the past - hoping for success again! Wish me luck.
Welcome

Cindy - How do you make your tenderloin? The weather here in Jersey is awful compared to yesterday!! We are supposed to go the Yankee game today, but not looking good so far.

I'm just starting phase one today also. I had lost all the weight I wanted to and reached my goal, but my son went through a 9 month cancer battle and then passed away nine months ago, so I gained so much weight back. I'm on two BP meds and I'm almost 170 pounds!!! I'm 5'1" so I need to lose a ton of weight.

I discovered I need to be mostly gluten free. A little wheat in something I feel fine, but a slice of whole wheat bread and I feel just awful. So I am trying to watch for glutens and so far I feel better.

Good luck to all. Let's get skinny!

Michele
Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I cannot tell you all how much having this support helps!

@ Michele, so sorry to hear of your loss. There are no words.

Today I am having:
B: egg "muffin" with egg sub, ham, broccoli, lf feta cheese
S: LF Babybel cheese, 2 slices deli turkey (1 oz)
L: Judy's Very Veggie Chili, side salad (kale, cabbage, romaine, etc)
S: FF greek yogurt with pistachios
D: Grilled chicken rubbed with herbs/spices, roasted jicama, and steamed green beans

Cannot wait for my NSA fudgcicle for dessert! It's starting to get hot in AZ (90 today, sunny all day long) and those cool treats are welcome. Have a great day, everyone!

Last edited by Southside Girl; 04-15-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Michelle - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm actually a pediatric ICU nurse so I see firsthand the struggles of families with sick children. Hugs to you.

Today went ok - lots of time out of the house trying to make good choices. Ended the day nicely with some rotisserie chicken and lemony raw kale salad. So good! Maybe a little peanut butter for dessert.

-Kate
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! I cannot believe we got snow overnight, it was only a dusting - but hey, it's April 16th! It seemed pretty slippery out, so I decided to exercise indoors - 20 miles on my exercise bike.

Yesterday's menu:

B: 2 egg omelet with leftover broccoli, 1 chicken breakfast sausage (I use Al Fresco - low in fat and calories!), and skim mozz
S: nothing, way too busy
L: Large spring mix salad with chicken, celery, dab of mayo, topped with grape tomatoes. NSA fudgsicle
S: hummus and celery
D: Leftover turkey meatloaf and roasted cauliflower

Hope you all have a great day!!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Yesterdays menu
brunch(woke up late) - baked salmon, broccoli Rabe
d- vegetable chicken soup(big bowl), grated cheese

I tend to dislike breakfast, so I do wind up starting my day off with brunch often. I only lose weight when I watch my calories and keep them sort of close to 1200 a day so it works for me. I need to get more active and then I will not have to worry about the calories!
Snow!!! Yesterday was 80 and this morning I woke up to snow here in Jersey. YUK!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Dang it I am on Day 10 of Phase 1, and I had to go to a luncheon today--stayed on plan, eating a salad, some broccoli, a few beans, lots of veggies, and a little protein...and some mango! I did the best I could avoiding all the yummy breads, pasta salad, muffins, etc, but that darn mango got to me. Now I am feeling horrible guilt!

I am telling myself just to get back on track, and to spend a little more time at this gym this afternoon to atone for my transgression!

I am not going to let this derail me and send me back to the beginning of Phase 1. I may extend it a few days to make up for this, but I will start adding fruit back by next Wednesday (which would be Day 16). I think I caved because I really miss it. I keep fruit out of the house (except for apples and bananas for the hubby, and I only buy five of each for him so that he has them for his workday breakfasts and lunches, which keeps me honest).

Am I doomed? I never cheated on Phase 1 before!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Dang it I am on Day 10 of Phase 1, and I had to go to a luncheon today--stayed on plan, eating a salad, some broccoli, a few beans, lots of veggies, and a little protein...and some mango! I did the best I could avoiding all the yummy breads, pasta salad, muffins, etc, but that darn mango got to me. Now I am feeling horrible guilt!

I am telling myself just to get back on track, and to spend a little more time at this gym this afternoon to atone for my transgression!

I am not going to let this derail me and send me back to the beginning of Phase 1. I may extend it a few days to make up for this, but I will start adding fruit back by next Wednesday (which would be Day 16). I think I caved because I really miss it. I keep fruit out of the house (except for apples and bananas for the hubby, and I only buy five of each for him so that he has them for his workday breakfasts and lunches, which keeps me honest).

Am I doomed? I never cheated on Phase 1 before!
Mango? No, you are not doomed from a little mango! lol A little fruit is good for you and you are very close to phase 2. Some people actually start right up in phase 2.

Crap, when I cheat it is with potatoes, fries or potato chips!

You are fine!!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Michele! That makes me feel better. I was sitting here obsessing about it and realize I can blow that one slip out of proportion! Tonight, it's grilled halibut and a fresh crisp salad.

I do miss french fries, though!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Wow, where did all the South Beachers go? So very quiet in here!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I noticed that, too. After the mango sidetrack I have done fine. No cravings or binges. Today will be a bean muffin, baked halibut and salad for lunch, and probably a big salad for dinner. Almonds and pistachios tend to be my snacks.

Looking forward to next week, when I can start adding fruit, quinoa and brown rice in slowly!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I noticed that, too. After the mango sidetrack I have done fine. No cravings or binges. Today will be a bean muffin, baked halibut and salad for lunch, and probably a big salad for dinner. Almonds and pistachios tend to be my snacks.

Looking forward to next week, when I can start adding fruit, quinoa and brown rice in slowly!
Sounds like you are doing really well. Keep it up!!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #21
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To those that celebrate...Happy Easter! It is a beautiful, although cool, morning here at the Jersey Shore.

We're off to church and then heading into PA for brunch at my SiL's house. Although I noticed her menu, which she emailed to me, has zero vegetables on it. sigh...I guess I will eat a big salad tonight when I get home.

I will be in Dallas all week on business, which could be tricky food-wise. I will check in when I can.

FYI. Saw a photo of myself yesterday. OMG, I really have to get these 10 lbs I gained back out of here!!

Southside, as Michele said, some mango won't derail you. Or for that matter, don't stress over carrots on a salad, etc. As you move onto Phase 2, ease yourself into more choices. Maybe some fruit one day or a starchy veg another day, it's easy to go overboard. And you may find that some foods don't impact you at all, but others really impede your weight loss. There may be some trial and error involved in figuring out what works best for you.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Well, happy Easter to all and sundry. It was a relatively good day, though I will admit I splurged this morning in half of an Easter-only pastry called a paczki. It was amazing. Thank goodness it is small, smaller than a donut. But I don't feel like I am ramped up with carb cravings. I think I needed this little indulgence to avoid a binge. So back on track the rest of the day! Hope everyone had a nice weekend and that the week ahead is a great one!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Hey everyone,

Been a pretty good first week of Phase 1 for me. Little cheats here and there but still down 5lbs as of today!!! Easter was a challenge but I had to work so I managed to avoid the bulk of the candy.

Beautiful day here today - thinking of a long walk with the kids.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Oh! Does anyone have any resources on easy meal planning for phase 1 or phase 2 that you'd be willing to share? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Have you tried Kayln's Kitchen (website)? She has almost exclusively South Beach recipes, lists the phases the food is appropriate for, and you can search recipes by phase. Everything I have made has turned out great! My non-dieting daughter especially loves the lentil soup and chili recipes.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #26
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRN View Post
Oh! Does anyone have any resources on easy meal planning for phase 1 or phase 2 that you'd be willing to share? Thanks!
Also, scroll through the recipes listed at the top of this forum. Lots of good ideas right here. I know I have posted many recipes, as have others.

If you have some specific questions, let us know.

By the way, I am a huge proponent of making extra stuff at meals that can be used in another meal. For example, make extra veggies at dinner that can be used in your omelet at breakfast or on your salad at lunch. Think roasted broccoli, sauteed squash, or grilled aspargus. Same with proteins, if you roast a pork tenderloin, use the leftovers on your salad, etc. the next day.

Also, I almost always make something on Sundays that I can eat again Monday night (for some reason, I never seem to be in the mood to cook on that first work day of the week! ) So I make things like a soup or stew, usually in the crockpot. Or a large turkey meatloaf or pulled pork.

I hope that helps!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Thanks guys!

Kalyn's Kitchen is pretty awesome! I'll have to take some time to look through the recipes on the board. Thanks for the suggestions.

It's been a weird couple of days - I've been eating "ok" but having some cheats (mostly way too much of things that are borderline) and for some reason not getting in enough water. Prob why I'm feeling so wiped.

Wish me luck for the rest of the week!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #28
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

While certainly not the fastest in the race, at least I finished!! This is me after running 6.4 miles on Saturday....along with my husband who self-appointed himself my personal trainer. LOL.

Eating was all over the place this weekend. I need to get back on track today!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay 2.jpg (41.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
While certainly not the fastest in the race, at least I finished!! This is me after running 6.4 miles on Saturday....along with my husband who self-appointed himself my personal trainer. LOL.

Eating was all over the place this weekend. I need to get back on track today!!
Wow! That is an impressive run! My eating has been all over also! Going shopping today and stocking up on only on plan items.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I have been pretty awful for the past three days but today I got seriously back on track. It feels pretty good. I am definitely addicted to carbs. If I stay away from them, I have way fewer temptations. Even hit the gym and got in 40 mins of weight training. Tomorrow is aerobic day!

Congrats, Wiz, that is awesome!