Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #31
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hello SBers!!

This group has gone pretty silent, so I thought I would check in to see if we can get revved up again...

I had a great week of eating. One of my new faves is this recipe for Cheddar Turkey Burgers from Rachel Ray.

Rachael Ray's Official Website - Cheddar-Studded Turkey Burgers

They are a little messy to cook on the grill (the cheese got a little oozy), but really tasty. I subbed roasted red pepper for the jalapenos. These had plenty of kick for us without the hot peppers. And of course, you can use RF cheddar instead of regular. I served it with slices of avocado and tomato. And they were great leftover the next day!

I haven't run in over 10 days because I tweaked my Achilles and it is still pretty tender. I am going to take a brisk walk today and see how things feel. My theory is to always listen to your body...you don't want an injury to turn chronic. It is best to get things healed all the way.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there!! My Mom is down in VA at my niece's college graduation, but she'll be visiting me next weekend.

Would love to see some of you check in!!

2014 Running Miles: 269
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone! I need to get back on the beach. gearing up to start next week. How is everyone doing?
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AutumnReigns
Stats: 208/159/153.6/158
WOE: weight watchers
I'm going back to the beach today.....my midsection started to increase in 2007 during perimenopause ...I've been in menopause for 4 years now and my waist just keeps getting bigger The last time I was on South Beach was 2005....I didn't have as much around the belly then, but it did decrease it a lot....hopefully it will work with menopausal fat.

I love South Beach Diet and I don't know why it isn't more popular.... hopefully this board will get hopping again...it's almost time to bring out the shorts here and I'm not ready

Slow Loser Club
AutumnReigns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm out in our Naperville IL office this week. Weather is great. I got a nice run in this morning!

Welcome Autumn! I think part of the problem with South Beach is the reliance on fat free/sugar free foods that tend to have a lot of crazy ingredients in them. I do admit eating some low fat items (i.e. skim mozz and Hellman's light mayo), but I avoid all the fat free foods. I'd rather eat less of the "real" food.

In any case, I resonate with your menopause issues. I, too, have put on so much weight around my midsection. I never had this before! And to be honest, it has been the devil to lose.

Buckhuntress, you and me both! I get started and then something derails me. I can't seem to get focused for any length of time.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: AutumnReigns
Stats: 208/159/153.6/158
WOE: weight watchers
I agree with the fat free stuff....I won't eat that. I also have a rib eye once in a great while or a slice or 2 of brisket with the fat cut off

You know what's scary???? Even at my highest weight of 208 lbs which was 14 years ago I had a waist.....now I'm down 30+ pounds and my waist is a lot bigger than it was then......I hate how I look now Oh and that constant bloated feeling....I could go on and on ....but I won't
AutumnReigns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bubby
Need help

I started last July and lost 20 pounds. Life went upside down and now I need to get focused again. I have diabetes, and need to lose 60 pounds. I think I am just not getting the fats right.

I'm under a great deal of stress and find myself eating right but then so bloated. Its a matter of life I get it right. Is there a chat support group? I was thinking maybe if I joined a chat group it would help. Any suggestions?

thank you in advance.
bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
I can't stick to anything!
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #38
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
I can't stick to anything!
Me neither, Michele. My heart and head just can't seem to buckle under. I think it is part menopause, part stress, part just plain tired of not eating what I want. I just keep bouncing around - lose a few, gain a few.

I will say that some research I have been doing states that a huge portion of women going through menopause (which I seem to be on the cusp of...) have a dramatic weight gain. (Gee, great, another thing women need to suffer through). So I am kind of figuring that is really what is up with me, because my eating has not really changed that much.

I avoid (okay, limit) sugar, limit white potatoes, white bread, etc. I eat a ton of veggies, some fruit (about 5 servings a week), lean protein. I exercise 5 days a week. One thing I probably need to cut back on is my adult beverage intake...but geez, having some wine on the weekend is such a pleasure.

OK, enough whining!! I wish you all a great Memorial Day weekend
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

wiz and michelle...
I had done so well on the beach for years! Early 30's til I hit 40...lost and maintained that long. Right after baby #4. Phase 3 was for life. 40..all of a sudden 5 pounds crept up on me, 41...another 5, 42, another 5 and I stopped caring about what I ate. Kinda gave up. Well here I am 44 (almost 45), can't get focused. Can't get this 20 lbs off. I used to have a waist, now I have a belly. I had a hysterectomy last summer but kept my ovaries. But, its so hard!!!! I think the lack of progress on the diet, I just lost hope. It was a lifestyle change for me, and then one day it stopped working.
Well, Im willing to try again. Getting remarried in a year and would love to slim down for the big day. Maybe we can set some mini goals/challenges together? Something to kick start us and keep us going?! lol
Btw...Where is rose these days?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #40
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
wiz and michelle...
I had done so well on the beach for years! Early 30's til I hit 40...lost and maintained that long. Right after baby #4. Phase 3 was for life. 40..all of a sudden 5 pounds crept up on me, 41...another 5, 42, another 5 and I stopped caring about what I ate. Kinda gave up. Well here I am 44 (almost 45), can't get focused. Can't get this 20 lbs off. I used to have a waist, now I have a belly. I had a hysterectomy last summer but kept my ovaries. But, its so hard!!!! I think the lack of progress on the diet, I just lost hope. It was a lifestyle change for me, and then one day it stopped working.
Well, Im willing to try again. Getting remarried in a year and would love to slim down for the big day. Maybe we can set some mini goals/challenges together? Something to kick start us and keep us going?! lol
Btw...Where is rose these days?
YES! Lets encourage each other to get our collective acts together!! I am in...and my first challenge will be a business trip to Ireland next week. It will be tough, but I swear I will stick to my plan.

I sent an email to Rose, but have not heard back. I hope all is well. I miss her.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gotta be tough staying OP and traveling out of the country wiz. Ok, Im starting Tuesday. I'm working a double shift over night tonight thru Monday afternoon at 3pm. My eating isnt good overtired, so I wont set myself up to fail. But Im off Tuesday, and Im gonna make an honest attempt to do phase 1 for a week (well really 2 weeks, but I'm gonna try this mini goal thing...lol).
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #42
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I leave on Friday, so at least it gives me a few days of home eating before I go. The had thing about a conference is that I will be held captive to group meals. I just have to hope there are foods to choose from that are OP. But having been to Ireland before, I don't have a lot of hope that I will see healthy choices!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #43
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woo hoo!! I met my weekend challenge...and actually surpassed it. I wanted to stay the same over the long weekend and I actually lost 2 lbs.

Staying on Phase 1 until we leave for Ireland on Friday night!

How did everyone else do this weekend??
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: indymom76
Hey Buckhuntress-are you a nurse? That's where I feel a lot of temptation comes from for me-pateitns bring in fast food or my skinny mini co-workers come in with unhealthy food and it looks soo good!!

Wiz-have fun on your trip-it sounds like it will be a lot of fun!!

I did well yesterday for my first day back on the beach-I don't think I got too burned I didn't have any major cravings, even with birthday cake and cupcakes sitting around the house from DD's birthday. I think my biggest challenges are to stay on track with eating and begin to workout. I honestly think that to keep me accountable, I need to hire a personal trainer. I don't think for every single day I go to the gym, but to help keep me accountable.

I think I'm going to have a salad for lunch and steak and veggies for dinner tonight. Water and unsweetened tea for me tonight as well. Have any of you tried the infused waters? Which is your favorite and are they okay on phase one? Especially with fruits in it?

Have a nice day everyone!!

indymom
indymom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #45
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymom76 View Post

I did well yesterday for my first day back on the beach-I don't think I got too burned

indymom
Love it! That is a great line...

I can't really answer your question about the favored/infused water. I have a diet coke in the morning and then plain water all day. I will have club soda with a lime when I am out and I'm not imbibing alcohol. But that's about it for me.

It's been a good week of eating, the scale is slowly inching down. I am just worried about blowing it next week in Ireland! I'm sure I won't be completely on plan, but I'm going to try to really limit any indulgences. We'll see!

I made stuffed red peppers last night, one of my favorite meals. And the beauty of them is you can adapt the flavors to whatever you want. Last night was lean chicken sausage (only 2 gram of fat!), spinach, onion, sun dried tomatoes, fennel seed and skim mozz. Delish! But sometimes I do Mexi peppers with ground turkey, onion, salsa, cheddar jack cheese. Or make them vegetarian with mushrooms, spinach, etc. So many variations!

FYI. The key is to split and roast the peppers in advance, cool and then stuff them. Reheat when you are ready to eat.

Have a good day!!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrooklynRN
Stats: 172/162.5/155
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: April 2014
Hi ladies,

Just checking in. Things have been going well over the last couple of weeks but I had to change my eating plan to make that happen. I'm now doing weight watchers with a south beach slant. So I'm tracking but staying low-carb. It's working! I'm done 9.5lbs total!! Apparently, I just eat way too much food so tracking it all has kept me in check.

For all the nurses on here - What I find that works the best at work is to bring every single thing that I plan to eat for the entire day (including dinner b/c I often get home after 9:30p which is too late to eat). I then just make everything else off limits - no vending machine (ever), no snacks from coworkers (ever), no food presents from patients (ever). Trust me, I have stuff off plan but I want to consciously make that decision when I'm of sound-mind. Not at 630p when I haven't eaten (or peed/or drank water) for the last
8hrs. It seems to help - at least this week.
BrooklynRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JoLi
Stats: 196/191.5/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/19/14
BrooklyRN, I totally agree with you about bringing plenty of on plan foods to work. I work 12 hour nights. It's tough passing on the midnight run to McDonalds. I just restarted today and am already thinking about my next two shifts this weekend.
Planning is a big thing for me to do if I'm going to stay on plan.
JoLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Hi Indymom ! Yes, I am a nurse. Failing at the dieting thing currently..lol. Always an excuse I guess. went shopping today and got a premade greek salad and chef salad for some lunches. Work can definately be challenging. No real breaks or lunches. overtired, hungry and craving the wrong things, no real breaks or lunches. Help! LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I agree that maybe hormones are causing me to have more difficulty losing weight. Also, I admit I'm just having trouble sticking to the guidelines of SBD. I'm kind of tired of all animal proteins except for dairy. That is making it an extra challenge for me. Still haven't heard from Rose? I hope she is ok!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #50
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all!

I am back from Ireland, but I haven't weighed in yet to see what damage there may be on the scale. I tried to stay close to plan, but it is downright impossible when you are at a conference in a foreign country to be 100% OP.

In any case, I got right back on SBD the day I got home.

How is everyone else doing??

Tonight's dinner? Sautéed pork chops with shallots, fresh thyme and chives (from my garden!), Dijon mustard, beef broth and a dash of brandy. And 2 heads of oven roasted broccoli (so I have lots of leftovers).
Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #51
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Weighed in finally...up 1 lb from a week in Ireland. Not bad! I bet I will have that pound off by tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Wow Wiz that is really good after a whole week away! I buckled down and got rid of all the crap in my house and replaced it with all SBD approved items. I have to lose some weight! I have done it before and I will do it again. Wish I wouldn't have let it pile back on!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #53
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm with you, Michele. I swore I wouldn't gain any weight back and for over 4 years I did really well. Then the last 2 years I just let some lbs gradually creep back on. I am very mad at myself!

I'm still squeezing into size 10 jeans, but it's not pretty . I have this pair of expensive cropped jeans I bought 2 years ago that I've been trying on every day as incentive. About 5 lbs ago, I couldn't zip them. Now I zip them, but instead of a muffin top - I have a bundt cake going. LOL. Once I get down to a muffin, instead of a cake, I will wear them again.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

A bundt cake. lol That is funny! I know exactly what you mean!!!!I can fit into all my pants but the hangover isn't pretty so I can't really wear any of them right now! I did well today so thats good. One day at a time!
Old 06-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #55
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The 1 lb from Ireland is gone!! Phase 1 is my friend...
Old 06-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

WIZ!!!
Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #57
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Went to a local favorite last night for their "2 for 1" burger night! I get my burger with no roll and a side salad. Mr Wiz gets the big white roll and fries, of course. I did have a glass of chardonnay.

In any case, down another 1/2 lb this morning. It's the lowest I have been since our vacation to Key West back in April. I still need to lose a bunch more, but it is all directionally correct!

I'm plannng some roast chicken breasts for dinner tonight. I have a good recipe that includes balsamic vinegar, roasted red pepper, garlic, broth, rosemary. Makes great leftover chicken for salads, etc.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #58
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heading to Chicago on business for a few days! I will be really trying to stay OP while there. Weekend eating was pretty good...

Have a good week Beachers!!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I cant get motivated
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #60
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
I cant get motivated
Have you thought about doing something different? Maybe Atkins or some other lower carb eating plan? Or JUDDD? or even Weight Watchers? I think our bodies get used to us trying the same things over and over again, and sometimes you need to shake things up a bit to get movtivated and see results.

I'll be honest, I am doing very low carb for a couple of weeks. More Atkins, than Phase 1. I really don't like it that much because it limits my veggie/fruit intake, but I needed to do something different. I plan to keep doing this until the end of the month, then re-assess where I am at.