Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Is it March already?

rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2005
Just checking in quick and marking my spot for March! Weighed in this morning, down exactly 7 pounds! I feel so good
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teridanny
Stats: 191.5/184/170ish?
WOE: Sugarbusters/SB
Start Date: Feb. 8, 2014
Buckhuntress - way to go! Great that your down in February!

The worst weather here in the history of the planet!!! And we have another storm rolling in tonight that they are saying will put us under a foot - ugh

Its my Anniversary today and my Birthday on Wednesday! I will be successful if I write a menu for the week! I am hoping to get to that and out to the store before all the milk and eggs are sold out! Wish me luck.
teridanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
More snow here in NJ today. YUK!!! So tired of it!
How is everyone doing?
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Hey everyone! Checking in. I haven't been doing so well and need to refocus. This horrible winter has just thrown me for a loop and I haven't put enough effort into getting over it.

buckhuntress, congratulations!

teridanny, how are you all doing?? Virginia was hit so hard by the storm earlier this week. Hope all is well!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

glitter- My kids finally went back to school today! Yes we were hit pretty hard here in Va with ice under the snow and the low temps kept it on the ground and on the road!

Eating is going OK - My birthday was yesterday and my husband had a dozen friends meet me at Bonefish for dinner! Food was so yummy! and wine was plentiful - I love wine - Did I mention that? I am a daily weigher and my weight took a huge hit from last nights dinner - probably eating so late - not really off plan other than too much wine!

Today was DD # 2's birthday and she chose to go to The Golden Food Trough (Golden Corale) for dinner. With so much to choose from there was really very little I could actually eat -not surprising I know!

Hoping for a laid back weekend and NO eating out!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Hey gang,

I was in Mountain View, CA all week. It was 70 degrees!! I got to run every morning outside in shorts. It was like a little slice of heaven.

Eating was just okay. It is just so hard to keep weight off when you are eating EVERY meal in a restaurant or hotel or conference area.

Back to Boot Camp now that I am home. I cannot believe I have to wear a bathing suit on vacation in 4 short weeks. UGH! I have a ton of work to do...

Hope all is well!!
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

5-mile run!

Yesterday's Menu:

B: Spinach, tomato, red pepper, RF cheddarjack quiche
S: Greek yogurt
L: Tuna salad with loads of red wine vinegar, dollop of RF mayo, carrots, celery, red pepper over a big bowl of spring mix, NSA fudgsicle
S: about 1 oz cheese and a lite beer
D: Southwestern turkey (shredded breast meat) chili

Looks like today's menu will be the same minus the beer! Leftover quiche, leftover chili, etc.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Wiz. I bet you are enjoying the weather right now. Looks like the next storm will miss you! We have a bit of snow predicted for Wed night, but I don't think it will happen. I need to start making quiches again, yours sound so good. I've lost three more pounds.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

rose1 - Awesome on the 3#loss!

wiz - keep running!

Today marks 30 DAYS on PLAN !!!! I know I have not been perfectly on plan - mostly due to figuring out the rules of this WOE.... But I'm doing it! And I still have not added the exercise back in - mostly because I am so tired... I get a foggy head and a hit the wall kind of feeling daily! It has wained a lot and I am beginning to get some energy back!!!

Writing a weekly menu seem to help me, listing breakfast, lunch and dinner options!
Look at this week:
Dinners:
***Apple Orchard Pork Tenderloi w/ fresh garlic green beans
***Buttermilk Roast Chicken(24hr brine) w/ broccoli
***Chili
***Chicken Tortilla Soup
***Quinoa Enchilada bake
***Shrimp and Bok Choy Stir Fry

Lunch:
Egg Salad in Avacado
Black Bean Soup
Mex. Shrimp Coctail
sweet pot soup

Breakfast:
Groats w/ apricots and almond milk
Greek Yogurt w/ cinnamon apples and walnuts & quinoa
Omlets
Flax Muffin
Chia Seed Pudding

Also, I have been keeping a daily journal since day 10! I keep track of what time I eat and what I am eating trying to list quatities as well. I also write how I am feeling! The feeling part seems to really help me! Also I keep a ticker across the top of each page to tally Whole Grains, Fruit, Veggies, and Dairy.

Just checking in! How is everyone else doing?

Oh and I finally lost 1.2#'s!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by teridanny View Post
Also I keep a ticker across the top of each page to tally Whole Grains, Fruit, Veggies, and Dairy.

Just checking in! How is everyone else doing?

Oh and I finally lost 1.2#'s!
Great idea!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

Unfortunately we got yet another snowstorm last night and it is only 23 degrees out. This is really a never-ending winter. UGH!

And because I really dislike corned beef - and cooked cabbage for that matter - I am having the anti-Irish dinner tonight. Stuffed Mexi peppers. LOL!

I was away in Fairfax, VA on business last week, but my husband drove down with me. It was nice having some company in the car and in the evenings!

I'm trying out a new recipe tomorrow night that contains low fat chicken sausage, sweet potatoes, and fresh spinach in a tomato based broth. And of course, the usual onion, garlic, etc. in it. If it gets good reviews from my husband, I will post it here.

How is everyone doing with their eating? Me, not so good. I just can't seem to string together a consecutive set of good days. I keep letting myself get distracted. On the plus side, I seem to have (pretty much) eliminated the night-time snacking. Maybe once every 2 weeks, I have a nibble at something if I am really starved.

Hope you all have a great week!

2014 Running Miles: 366
2014 Walking Miles: 308
2014 Biking Miles: 513
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #13

I'm doing fine except still not eating enough.

It's great that you are getting a handle on the night time eating. A cup or two of hot tea gives me that tummy comfort without doing any damage when I'm not really hungry, so I keep the tea shelf stocked.

I think it's just wonderful that Joe can travel with you now. That has to be fun!

I'm right there with you on the corned beef. DD is threatening to make soda bread tonight and we'll make colcannon with kale instead of cabbage, but no corned beef. A phase three dinner for sure.

Where are you off to next?

Oh, 29 this morning and ice all over the daffodills. grumble

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]

Last edited by rose1; 03-17-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone!

Not big on the corned beef and cabbage here either. So we already ate an early dinner! I served a 3 course meal! I made: #1 sugar busters sweet potato soup... #2 Costco Kale Salad (YUM! everyone has to try this - I am getting 2 more veggies in everyday due to this salad...) and #3 - Ham, Collard Greens (a first for me here - yum), mashed pots for the family, and green beans! WE ARE FULL!

Eating is going much better for me. I am on a constant yoyo gaining and losig the same 2 #'s! But I am still learning what I can eat. I am gettting in more veggies - closer to the 2 servings at lunch and dinner that is suggested- still not managing to get in the one at breakfast though! I am only averaging 1 Whole Grain or Starchy Veggie per day - I know that it is suggested to up this to aroud 4/day, but I would like to lose my 15#'s before increasing these. Imput here would be great - what do you think?

Still drinking wine - probably the main reason for the slow weight loss!

I also need to add back in exercise!

Hoping for a good week here - I went to the store - Now I need to plan a menu!

Have a great week everyone!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Happy St. Patty's Day to everyone!

Not big on the corned beef and cabbage here either. So we already ate an early dinner! I served a 3 course meal! I made: #1 sugar busters sweet potato soup... #2 Costco Kale Salad (YUM! everyone has to try this - I am getting 2 more veggies in everyday due to this salad...) and #3 - Ham, Collard Greens (a first for me here - yum), mashed pots for the family, and green beans! WE ARE FULL!

Eating is going much better for me. I am on a constant yoyo gaining and losig the same 2 #'s! But I am still learning what I can eat. I am gettting in more veggies - closer to the 2 servings at lunch and dinner that is suggested- still not managing to get in the one at breakfast though! I am only averaging 1 Whole Grain or Starchy Veggie per day - I know that it is suggested to up this to aroud 4/day, but I would like to lose my 15#'s before increasing these. Imput here would be great - what do you think?

Still drinking wine - probably the main reason for the slow weight loss!

I also need to add back in exercise!

Hoping for a good week here - I went to the store - Now I need to plan a menu!

Have a great week everyone!
Your dinner sounds yummy. So what is a costco kale salad????

You could add some berries at breakfast or a handful of grape tomatoes. You don't necessarily HAVE to have veggies at breakfast, it just helps to get them in during the day.

I've found that I do better without grains for the most part, most days I don't have any. You could have a starchier veg if you want, like a sweet potato, a few baby carrots, or butternut squash, etc, but your nutrition certainly won't suffer if you forgo starches.

If you have the supercharged book, it has a nice little exercise program laid out that works nicely with the program and is non-threatening.

It wouldn't hurt to give up wine for a week or so and see what happens. Alcohol stops some people cold, but not others, so......

Anyway, don't worry about bouncing around with two pounds. Stick to plan and one day that will be gone and you will drop down another notch and bounce around there for a bit. You don't have a lot to lose, so it will take longer than if you had 50.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
What is it in grains that make them healthy? Is it the fiber? Soluble, insoluble?
Grains help lower blood pressure, but why? I prefer vegetables instead of grains any day.
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello!

I took a recipe from Bon Appetit and tweaked it to fit SBD. The result was delish! Phase 2 friendly. This could definitely be made into a vegetarian soup by substituting mushrooms for the chicken sausage and using vegetable broth instead of chicken.

Sweet Potato and Chicken Sausage Soup

1 TB Olive Oil
12 oz fully cooked chicken sausage (I used Al Fresco Red Pepper flavor, very low in fat and had a great smoky flavor), sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 teas dried thyme
1 teas fennel seeds
1 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 14-oz cans low salt chicken broth
1 bag of fresh baby spinach (I used about 6 oz of baby spinach, stems removed)

Heat olive oil in large pot over med high heat. Add onions and celery, cook until softened. Add garlic and sliced chicken sausage. Cook for about 2 more mins. Add potatoes and thyme, fennel seeds then cook until softened, about 10 mins. Stir often. Add tomatoes and broth, bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce to simmer, cook for 20 minutes. Soup will thicken slightly.

At this point, you can cool and refrigerate if making in advance. Bring to room temp and then heat to a good simmer. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Serve immediately.

We both loved this. It made enough for dinner and then lunch the next day. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

rose - Sweet Kale Salad - made by Taylor Farms - It is a vegetable salad kit and I found it in the refrigerated room.... It has Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Kale & Chicory... as the green blend - I love it - I don't generally like salad because the traditional leaves get wet and limpy...This does not, there iare a lot of different textures but limp is not one of them. Then there is package of Dried Cranberries and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds that you sprinkle over the salad and 2 small baggies of dressing. I made my own.

Thanks for the encouraging words too! I thought I would lose 5 pounds a month, but it looks like its going to be about 2! But I need to make this sustainable! So 1.5-2 #'s/mo it is! It would be nice to just get to the goal *healthy* weight and bounce around there though - wish there was a fast forward button!

wiz - thanks for the recipe - Sounds wonderful!

michele - I'd really like to know that too! No idea - I do have more energy and less brain fog when I eat 1 grain a day?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #19
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
I'm doing fine except still not eating enough.

It's great that you are getting a handle on the night time eating. A cup or two of hot tea gives me that tummy comfort without doing any damage when I'm not really hungry, so I keep the tea shelf stocked.

I think it's just wonderful that Joe can travel with you now. That has to be fun!

I'm right there with you on the corned beef. DD is threatening to make soda bread tonight and we'll make colcannon with kale instead of cabbage, but no corned beef. A phase three dinner for sure.

Where are you off to next?

Oh, 29 this morning and ice all over the daffodills. grumble
Rose, I certainly hope you are not withering away to nothing...EAT!!

Yes, I feel good about eliminating the night-time snacking. It is a horrible habit. I chew gum instead to keep my mouth busy. LOL.

As of now, my next trip is actually vacation! We leave for Key West two weeks from Friday. Yea!! We rented a 1-bedroom cottage with private pool for the week. I cannot wait....

Teri, I am the anti-kale person! I don't know why, but I just don't care for it. I love many other salad greens, but not kale. I just had it again recently and re-affirmed, it is not my cup of tea.

Hope you all have a great day!!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #20
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!!

Just finished up a 5-mile run in cold, but sunny conditions. I'll take it!

It's been a long week, with too many commitments that have caused us to eat out. I almost never cook at home on Friday nights, but tonight will be an exception. I've got some pork tenderloin marinating in balsamic vinegar , fresh basil, EVOO, dijon mustard and some fresh asparagus to throw on the grill. It sounds easy and OP, which is exactly what I need!!

I hope you all have a great weekend. TGIF!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #21
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm....pretty quiet around here!

I had a rude awakening in a brightly-lit, full-length mirror dressing room this weekend! Ouch. I was trying on some Spring clothes and the results were not pretty. It firmed my resolve to keep OP.

Has anyone tried to make a SBD friendly "creamed" spinach? It's my husband's favorite, but most traditional recipes are too fatty and the frozen ones are loaded with sodium and some odd ingredients. I'm going to search around and see if I can come up with a good one.

Hope everyone is having a good week!!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Hmmm....pretty quiet around here!

I had a rude awakening in a brightly-lit, full-length mirror dressing room this weekend! Ouch. I was trying on some Spring clothes and the results were not pretty. It firmed my resolve to keep OP.

Has anyone tried to make a SBD friendly "creamed" spinach? It's my husband's favorite, but most traditional recipes are too fatty and the frozen ones are loaded with sodium and some odd ingredients. I'm going to search around and see if I can come up with a good one.

Hope everyone is having a good week!!
Nothing quite like dressing room mirrors to keep you on the straight and narrow. (I had to go bra shopping a couple weeks ago.) Maybe we should just duck into a fitting room now and then for a reality check.

Creamed spinach. Saute a very finely minced shallot, maybe a smidge of green onion, a bit of garlic wouldn't hurt, a few red pepper flakes, wilt the spinach, then stir in a suitable amount of cream cheese, thinned out a bit with a little milk if it's too thick , salt and pepper to taste. It's kinda reminiscent of creamed spinach.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Nothing quite like dressing room mirrors to keep you on the straight and narrow. (I had to go bra shopping a couple weeks ago.) Maybe we should just duck into a fitting room now and then for a reality check.

Creamed spinach. Saute a very finely minced shallot, maybe a smidge of green onion, a bit of garlic wouldn't hurt, a few red pepper flakes, wilt the spinach, then stir in a suitable amount of cream cheese, thinned out a bit with a little milk if it's too thick , salt and pepper to taste. It's kinda reminiscent of creamed spinach.
Cream cheese! I didn't think about that. Sounds good. I will try it.

Another good day of eating.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Just checking in here to see how everyone is doing?

I have been eating pretty much on plan - I have had a couple pieces of DOVE dark chocolate - Not a good idea for me as this will start a little habit of maybe a piece of chocolate when I get out of bed.. then a piece with my morning coffee... then one after lunch... ohh and that piece with my glass of red wine!!!! I know I should flush the rest of the bag!

I went to the gym 2ce this week huge success for me, as it has been really hard for me to have much energy eating this way!I have not done any exercise since I started more than 45 days ago. The first day at the gym was really hard and my legs felt like lead.... today however, I was able to jog at a slow pace for 2 miles and walk for 1/2 mile to warm up and cool down!!!

Have lots of frozen Chicken breasts in the freezer.... would love some ideas for quick dinners?????
Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Have lots of frozen Chicken breasts in the freezer.... would love some ideas for quick dinners?????
My favorite Chicken Saute is to cut chicken breasts into medallions (and if you are really feeling energetic, you can pound them thinner with a mallet. I get my husband to do it for me ). Saute with julienned sun dried tomatoes and carrots, then add in minced garlic, a heaping teaspoon of fennel seeds, lots of fresh ground pepper. Add in about 1/2 cup of white wine or chicken broth, cook until reduced by half. Serve with Parm cheese. This time of year, when asparagus is cheap, I add that in as well.

Also an easy "recipe" for the oven is to top a breast with either salsa or canned tomatoes/dash of balsamic vinegar and bake at 350 for 30 mins. Add cheddar jack to the salsa breast or skim mozz to the tomatoes/balsamic for the last 10 mins.

If you need more, let me know.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #26
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang,

Off to Key West tomorrow for the week!! We rented a one-bedroom cottage with a private pool. One thing I love about vacationing in Key West is how much exercise we get...we walk for miles in the mornings all over the island, then we walk again at night to dinner, hear live music, etc. And while there is plenty of junk food to be had, there are also a lot of OP choices like fresh fish, Key West Pinks (local shrimp), fresh fruit, etc.

I will try to check in next week!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hello, all. I am wondering if I'm in the right place? I am looking for a support group as I'm starting Phase I of the SBD today. Excited to get these carby cravings out of my system!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Soutside girl - This is the right place! So glad you found us and SBD... How did day 1 go?
I am new to SBD ( about 60 days now) I am just now getting the swing of things! I ask diet questions and look up recipies on this board... Its great support!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Southside Girl
WOE: SBD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi, teri! I am just checking back and am starting Day 6. So far, so good! I have had a few moments of difficulty but just plowed on through, and now the cravings are minimal. I am finding ways to incorporate more variety, too. I made the bean "bread" I found online (actually I made them into muffins) and they have been a huge help to curb that sweet craving. I love your mini goals...I think I will steal that idea if you don't mind!
Southside Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Southside -
I am glad you are doing so well - after you kick the cravings it should be smooth sailing!

I have to say I love my mini goals! When I was losing my 1st 60# I did it in 10# goals - I was losing much faster then.... I got a new CKlein Perfume when I was down 60#'s and a new 24oz Tervis cup for my 50#....

Can't wait for that Pedi - I need it now that its warming up ...I want to wear flip flops! I think Im even going to treat myself to a design on my big toe! Maybe flowers! Today I only have 1.4#'s to go to get there - but I have been known to take 2-3weeks to lose 1.5 pounds!!!!

Thanks so much for the blog address - That woman is amazing! Her foods look amazing! I write my menu ... usually over the weekend so I will be adding a few new meals! I love new meals - My kids and hubby on the other hand are not always on the same page!

Everyone - Have a great week - Eat on plan.... spring is coming it will be easier to add in all those in season veggies!!!