Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kellytoddbran
i would love to be on the mailing list ?? how?? we as well have had sooo much snow and just plain cold. cant wait to get out and walk and garden etc.. I live just betweem buffalo and Niagara falls... capital of SNOW !!
kellytoddbran is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #32
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellytoddbran View Post
i would love to be on the mailing list ?? how?? we as well have had sooo much snow and just plain cold. cant wait to get out and walk and garden etc.. I live just betweem buffalo and Niagara falls... capital of SNOW !!
No mailing list...just respond to this posting! Welcome.

Week 2 of boot camp is going well. 10 miles of running the last 2 days! I'm looking for some new ways to roast chicken breasts (on the bone). I posted my balsamic recipe last week, and I tried something new yesterday. But it was just meh It was with sherry wine and some root veggies, but it just lacked any punch. I like my food to be bursting with good flavor!!

On the plus side, I have lots of moist roast chicken meat leftover to use in a chicken black bean chili for tonight!

How is everyone else doing??

2014 Running Miles: 390
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: teridanny
Stats: 191.5/184/170ish?
WOE: Sugarbusters/SB
Start Date: Feb. 8, 2014
kellytoddbran - Welcome !

wiz - great job in boot camp - i remember when I used to do WW I used my weigh in day as my "dinner off" night! It worked fabulously and I would stay on plan all week looking forward to my dinner off!

Chicken Breasts on the bone - In large casserole put in coarsly chopped onion some garlic cloves (whole peeled and quartered - dont like it otherwise) and sweet potatoes put chicken in - I used to use raisins but now I add a few prunes.... pour 1c of chix broth and 1/2-1c of leftover white or pink wine that I shake with a 1/2-3/4t of cayenne pepper!!! Bake covered about 1hr slowly then uncover til golden about 1/2hr. So good! Should be lots of liquid in the bottom - dont cook so much sweet pots turn to mush - I put 1/2C quinoa in a bowl scoop in chix and pots then pour liquid in to be soupy in the bottom.

FOOD QUESTION - I read that we are supossed to limit dairy to 2 cups/day. I am now using almond milk in many things - Do I count it as part of my dairy allowance or if I use it should I not eat my allotment of nuts and seeds? (I really like flax and chia seeds and if I should count it here I may switch back to dairy milk)
teridanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by teridanny View Post

FOOD QUESTION - I read that we are supossed to limit dairy to 2 cups/day. I am now using almond milk in many things - Do I count it as part of my dairy allowance or if I use it should I not eat my allotment of nuts and seeds? (I really like flax and chia seeds and if I should count it here I may switch back to dairy milk)
I'll have to go search but I counted nut milks towards my dairy and not nuts, they don't pack the fat punch of nuts.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ok - I had a pretty good day staying on plan...

I am just now on or aroud day 10 in my journey to figure out how to make this a sustainable lifestyle! I`m thirsty! So thirsty! Anone know why? I would normally have to force myself to drink 2 of my 24oz tervis cups of water..... really, some days I would only get 1 down.

Eating this way I am thirsty - parched - I just filled my tervis cup up for the 5th time? It has been this way for about a week now. If anyone knows why please let me know... thx
I have on idea why you'd be so thirsty. I'd get familiar with the search bar on here to see if anyone in the past has had this issue. Sorry, I wish I knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLW View Post
Hi! I just started SBD P1 today. I have ALOT of weight to get rid of. I did SB in 2007 and did really well on it, I guess I fell off the wagon and hit my head pretty hard. It's taken me a bit to get back on.

My husband is waiting to be tested for Gluten Intolerance. He's giving up on all wheat so that will help (however he still will have tortilla chips and dip - too tempting lol).

I've been lurking and this appears to be a great place for support
If you go off wheat, you actually won't be able to get tested for Celiac. There isn't yet a test for intolerance to any foods. If going off wheat makes a big difference in how you feel, you shouldn't eat it! Simple as that. Corn isn't a problem as long as it's 100% corn and not made in a facility with wheat.
Diagnosis of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity | NFCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Some times you find that there are foods or recipes that just don't convert to being SBD friendly. This may be one of them. If I had to take a shot at it, maybe NSA ketchup, plain horseradish, and some sugar free jam? Although I don't really use products like that myself, it maybe okay.

Good luck!
This is the biggest thing, some recipes will work but a lot won't. SBD isn't all or nothing so if that is a special occasion meal, have a small portion otherwise I'd avoid it and expand your horizons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellytoddbran View Post
Perhaps you are referring to the SB mail lists? They do have them and most of the time, they are useless. If you want all the PDFs they have provided for free. I can share them with you. I'm not sure if this is a gray area as far as TOS goes for this website. They are free pdfs through the official SBD site that I have saved on my Google Drive.

anyone know if I can post a link to my google drive?

Wiz! Thanks for posting your daily menus, that is incredibly helpful!

I have a new recipe that I have fallen in love with and adapted for SBD. I'll have to compose it and add it to the recipes post at the top!

Last edited by glitterific; 02-25-2014 at 09:46 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
kellytoddbran - Welcome !

wiz - great job in boot camp - i remember when I used to do WW I used my weigh in day as my "dinner off" night! It worked fabulously and I would stay on plan all week looking forward to my dinner off!

Chicken Breasts on the bone - In large casserole put in coarsly chopped onion some garlic cloves (whole peeled and quartered - dont like it otherwise) and sweet potatoes put chicken in - I used to use raisins but now I add a few prunes.... pour 1c of chix broth and 1/2-1c of leftover white or pink wine that I shake with a 1/2-3/4t of cayenne pepper!!! Bake covered about 1hr slowly then uncover til golden about 1/2hr. So good! Should be lots of liquid in the bottom - dont cook so much sweet pots turn to mush - I put 1/2C quinoa in a bowl scoop in chix and pots then pour liquid in to be soupy in the bottom.

The official party line on nut milk is drink it in moderation and not as a substitute for dairy, unless you must avoid dairy products. I would count it more as nuts. It is not a dairy product.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
The official party line on nut milk is drink it in moderation and not as a substitute for dairy, unless you must avoid dairy products. I would count it more as nuts. It is not a dairy product.
It doesn't have any of the fat of nuts and has no sugar compared to skim milk. The only benefit milk has over nut milks is the lack of protein. Most are even fortified with other nutrients to have the same calcium levels and a few other things.

SBD website has updated their foods list to include unsweetened varieties to count towards 2 days of milk, the original book did not mention these as I don't think they were popular when it was written.
Best Bets for Beverages
Old 02-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
It doesn't have any of the fat of nuts and has no sugar compared to skim milk. The only benefit milk has over nut milks is the lack of protein. Most are even fortified with other nutrients to have the same calcium levels and a few other things.

SBD website has updated their foods list to include unsweetened varieties to count towards 2 days of milk, the original book did not mention these as I don't think they were popular when it was written.
Best Bets for Beverages
Weird, because I took the information from the SB website, not the book. No wonder there is confusion! Nondairy Beverage Options There is too much conflicting info in the various books, so I try to use the SB website for curent information.

Last edited by rose1; 02-25-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 AM   #39
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!!

I am taking a day off from running, I was feeling a bit sore. I'll do my exercise bike instead. And I jumped the gun a bit, I got on the scale today. It was bad, but not as horrific as it could have been. I guess Boot Camp is working!

I slacked off from posting my meals...it's been a busy work week. But here is yesterday:

B: Broccoli, red pepper, RF cheddar jack "quiche"
S: Greek yogurt
L: Tuna, with carrots, celery, roasted red pepper, red wine vinegar and a dab of RF mayo over a pile of spring mix, NSA fudgsicle
S: Too busy
D: Home-made marinara sauce with turkey spinach meatballs and a dusting of parm cheese (Yum!)

And lots of water!!

I can't chime in on the nut milk discussion because I really don't like any milk! So unless it is an ingredient in something I am making, I never buy it. Maybe I buy milk 2 or 3 times a year.

Teri, Thanks for the chicken breast idea!!
Glitter, that recipe you posted looks good! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #40
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

4-mile run is done!

I was starved yesterday and after looking at my menu, I didn't have enough veggies. I should have had salad with lunch. Lesson learned!

Menu:

B: Broccoli, red pepper, RF cheddar jack quiche, with salsa
L: Leftover turkey spinach meatballs and marinara, NSA fudgsicle
S: another meatball
D: Burger (no roll) with bruschetta and cheese, plus side salad with tomato and balsamic dressing, glass of chardonnay (restaurant meal - 2 for 1 burger night!)

Have a good day Beachers!!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Made the worst dinner last night! It was a chicken and lentil stew from the SBD book. It was so bad I drove directly to walmart and bought SBD MEAL BARS and ate one in the aisle!

I guess I am a really slow learner as I am having an incredibly hard time figuring out this WOE....It is so hard that I plan meal to meal instead of day to day!

Today is going well
B - 1 fried egg and 1 sl. anchient grain toast
S - vegan shake
L - 1c pintos 2T ched cheese 2T salsa
S - 1/2 C almond milk w/ sliced up straw & blueberries & 2T chia seeds
D - NO IDEA

This weekend is going to be really hard -
FRIDAY - OOT for my nephew Confirmation (celebrate w/ cake!)
SATURDAY - 1st bday party (celebrate w/ cake) and Annual Wine & Cheese Event!
SUNDAY - end of season swim party for my DD & DS in HS (pizza provided)

So please send me your best purse snack ideas - please- I cant be hungry at any of these events!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #42

DD, BBF, and I went to Goodwill last night and I got a cool hobo bag purse, a rug to go in the back of my van to protect the carpet, a 100% CASHMERE sweater jacket off the .99 cents rack and a so ugly it's cute Coldwater Creek jacket for .99. All this to say that we stopped in the Mexican restaurant and I got the yummiest vegetarian quesadilla stuffed with broccoli, zuchinni, onion, tomato, carrots, mushrooms, cheese--big enough to cut in half and have the rest for lunch today. Yogurt and peaches and chopped nuts for breakfast. Big salad with various veggies, chickpeas and grated cheese for supper.

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Made the worst dinner last night! It was a chicken and lentil stew from the SBD book. It was so bad I drove directly to walmart and bought SBD MEAL BARS and ate one in the aisle!

I guess I am a really slow learner as I am having an incredibly hard time figuring out this WOE....It is so hard that I plan meal to meal instead of day to day!

Today is going well
B - 1 fried egg and 1 sl. anchient grain toast
S - vegan shake
L - 1c pintos 2T ched cheese 2T salsa
S - 1/2 C almond milk w/ sliced up straw & blueberries & 2T chia seeds
D - NO IDEA

This weekend is going to be really hard -
FRIDAY - OOT for my nephew Confirmation (celebrate w/ cake!)
SATURDAY - 1st bday party (celebrate w/ cake) and Annual Wine & Cheese Event!
SUNDAY - end of season swim party for my DD & DS in HS (pizza provided)

So please send me your best purse snack ideas - please- I cant be hungry at any of these events!
If you don't mind a comment, where are your vegetables?

As for "purse snacks," I keep string cheese, a ziplock bag with a serving of raw walnuts or almonds, small cans of V-8, a small apple, a boiled egg, a bag of vegetables, such as celery, carrot, cucumber, green pepper etc. as appropriate, in a soft cooler with an ice pack, if needed. I can put together a mini-meal if I need to and I'm never caught without something to hold off starvation. Sometimes I just pack myself a picnic.

Sorry about the stew; it does sound kinda gross, doesn't it!

Last edited by rose1; 02-27-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

rose - All comments are welcome! Yes I have a veggie issue! This WOE is a huge stretch for me! I dont really like salads so that is not going to work....

I can do sticks- celery,pepper,carrot,cukes and dip... but still dont love them! I was thinking of magic bulleting my veggies into 1 drink a day?

I usually get to the veggie by the night time meal- if a can of green beans counts? I need to work on this veggie thing!

GOAL - for next week - Write a menu for the week! And eat veggies at 2 meals!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #45
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
DD, BBF, and I went to Goodwill last night and I got a cool hobo bag purse, a rug to go in the back of my van to protect the carpet, a 100% CASHMERE sweater jacket off the .99 cents rack and a so ugly it's cute Coldwater Creek jacket for .99. All this to say that we stopped in the Mexican restaurant and I got the yummiest vegetarian quesadilla stuffed with broccoli, zuchinni, onion, tomato, carrots, mushrooms, cheese--big enough to cut in half and have the rest for lunch today. Yogurt and peaches and chopped nuts for breakfast. Big salad with various veggies, chickpeas and grated cheese for supper.
LOVE Bargain shopping!! Good for you. And really glad to see you are eating.

Hey gang, I made a great Southwestern Chicken Black Bean Chili last night. It was SO flavorful. I will post it here when I get a chance. I took a Bon Appetit magazine recipe and tweaked it to be SBD friendly.

Yesterday's menu:

B: the last 3 turkey spinach meatballs (I know, not much of a breakfast, but I was in a hurry)
L: Tuna, carrots, red pepper, celery with red wine vinegar and a tsp RF mayo over a pile of spring mix, NSA fudgsicle
S: celery and Laughing cow cheese
D: Chili (see above) and NSA fudgsicle

We are off to Philly on Saturday for the Flyers/Rangers game in the afternoon, dinner in the city and hotel overnight. It was a Christmas gift!

I probably won't post again until Monday...and I leave Tuesday bright and early for a business trip to Mountain View, CA. Back on the red eye - don't get home until Saturday morning. Long, long week.

TGIF!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #46

New month; new thread. Is it March already?