Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
A New Year

rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Amen !!
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi South Beachers! My DH and I have been lc for years but now he has had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, stents ect and needs a lower fat, low carb diet so I am looking into South Beach. Have the book but find the info online more current. May be a bit of an adjustment to start using low fat dairy and lower fat meats for him ( I need vlc higher fat as I have diabetes but will try to find recipes we can both eat). Hard to be changing diet once again but his cardiologist is absolutely opposed to a higher fat diet for him ( he's opposed to lc too but I know carbs contribute to high triglycerides and think lower carb is healthier).

Sorry for the long saga but I would like to join your support thread here to get ideas, advice, and help from your experience. Seems like we will be adding beans, more veggies, and less protein in general - have I got that right?

Happy New Year to all.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cricket1
Hi everyone, I started SBD on Dec 26th....today is Jan 1 and I am down 12 pounds!!! and I do notice shrinkage in my belly--which is where I need to lose it the most! I would like to lose a total of 50 pounds, or if possible 60. One thing that helps me is to turn everything into a salad, I implement lettuce and fresh veggies very often and it helps a lot plus, feeling full/satisfied. I am not craving sweets or bread so it is manageable, plus seeing results is a big motivator....one day at a time indeed!
cricket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Hi South Beachers! My DH and I have been lc for years but now he has had two heart attacks, bypass surgery, stents ect and needs a lower fat, low carb diet so I am looking into South Beach. Have the book but find the info online more current. May be a bit of an adjustment to start using low fat dairy and lower fat meats for him ( I need vlc higher fat as I have diabetes but will try to find recipes we can both eat). Hard to be changing diet once again but his cardiologist is absolutely opposed to a higher fat diet for him ( he's opposed to lc too but I know carbs contribute to high triglycerides and think lower carb is healthier).

Sorry for the long saga but I would like to join your support thread here to get ideas, advice, and help from your experience. Seems like we will be adding beans, more veggies, and less protein in general - have I got that right?

Happy New Year to all.
We will help in any way we can. Kalyn's Kitchen has so many SB friendly recipes that would work for both of you. You can tweak most of Dana Carpender's recipes to work for SB. I don't think any doctor could argue with a lc way of eating, esp SB, as long as you don't use the words low carb. Who can argue with fresh vegetables ( you really can leave off fruits or just eat the lowest in carbs, like berries ) lean meats, lower fats.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1 View Post
Hi everyone, I started SBD on Dec 26th....today is Jan 1 and I am down 12 pounds!!! and I do notice shrinkage in my belly--which is where I need to lose it the most! I would like to lose a total of 50 pounds, or if possible 60. One thing that helps me is to turn everything into a salad, I implement lettuce and fresh veggies very often and it helps a lot plus, feeling full/satisfied. I am not craving sweets or bread so it is manageable, plus seeing results is a big motivator....one day at a time indeed!
You're off to a good start! I'm a big salad eater, too.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Did my weekly shopping today and hit the produce dept with a vengeance! Greens, 2 bunches of organic celery, squashes, tomatoes, oranges (for him), strawberries, cucumbers, radishes, green beans, and some dried beans. Got chicken breast, fish, shrimp, pork loin, and extra lean beef. Should be set to go!

This morning he had an egg white omlet with veggies and salsa. I had scrambled eggs with butter and sour cream. We each had half a slice of low carb toast- his with sugarfree jelly mine with butter and cinnamon. I think we can do this!

Thanks for the tip on Kalyn's kitchen, Rose. I will check it out. I do have a few of Dana's cookbooks so will look for the lower fat recipes there as well.

Great job on the weight loss Cricket! South beach seems a very healthy way to eat.

Last edited by shunsweets; 01-02-2014 at 10:00 AM..
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
First of all, Happy New Year!! Many thanks to Rose for kicking off our daily check-in thread for the umpteenth year in a row .

I started off the new year with a THUD. Both my husband and I are nursing horrible head colds. In any case, I am very ready to get back on plan and get moving!! I have had more than my share of holiday goodies, champagne, etc. and it's back to water, salads and home-cooking for me!!

Welcome Cricket!! You're off to a great start. Keep up the good work...

Welcome Shunsweets! Sorry to hear about your husband's situation, but moving from a higher fat LC diet to SBD shouldn't be too tricky. Please feel free to ask a lot of questions.

Let's get this party started!! 2014, here we come!!

2014 Running Miles: 224
2014 Walking Miles: 214
2014 Biking Miles: 380
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sophie2520
Stats: 190.5/185.5/145
WOE: SB
Start Date: January 2014
Happy New Year!! I'm jumping in as of 1/6. See you soon!
sophie2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Hi all,
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. So call me insane! Here I go again...
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Hi all,
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. So call me insane! Here I go again...
How are you doing?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michele777
WOE: South Beach/CC
Hi Rose,
I'm doing ok. Missing Robbie terribly. Life is so unfair sometimes. How are you doing?
michele777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Doing well with the lower fat increased veggies diet. DH hasn't lost any weight yet but we are only on day 4. My bgs are holding steady. We will stick with it and see how we do.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele777 View Post
Hi Rose,
I'm doing ok. Missing Robbie terribly. Life is so unfair sometimes. How are you doing?
How well I understand. I'm plugging along. Grief dulls after awhile (mostly), but life just isn't normal anymore. Be sure to take care of yourself.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
Doing well with the lower fat increased veggies diet. DH hasn't lost any weight yet but we are only on day 4. My bgs are holding steady. We will stick with it and see how we do.
Does his dr want him to be losing weight?
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ivybox
Hi all! I have spent about 2 hours reading posts form may back! I have probably 6 SB books several cookbooks and Supercharged one. I have a LOT of weight to get off. I cannot even bring myself to type it! I have dieted since I was 12 and am 41! Lost a galbladder (dumb dr's did not realize it was a side effect of only having liquids for 21 weeks !)on one diet. My thyroid is shot and progesterone. Started taking thyroid meds 6 months ago. On and off with progesterone also it cause an additional 40lb weight gain! I have not been able to get the weight off for 12 years. Oh Just got diagnosed with sleep apnea (another weight loss hinderance factor!)! I am falling apart!!! I have tried too many diets and excersize nothing but gains. Now my thyroid seems to be in balance hoping I can get this weight off!
Does anyone else have this crazy issue with thyroid or progesterone?? I want this to work!!
I started a couple days ago. Did not realize we had a storm coming and made one of my fav desserts to take to church Sunday, to get the ingredients out of the house! Now we will be snowbound and the sugar fest is calling my name! I prayed, grabbed 10 pecans and drank 2 cups of tea!! YES I made it! Now I need to do the same resisting for at least another 2 years! BTW the dessert will be taken to my neiighbors home tomorrow, or tossed in the trash!
ivybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ivy. Good job resisting that dessert. I know thyroid troubles and HRT make weight loss more difficult. I find menopause has really cut the amount of food I need to maintain. Hard for me to get used to these smaller portions.

Rose - my DH wants to lose 10 pounds. He is not really overweight but has a little belly he wants to get rid of. He also has cancer so I don't want him to lose much weight. He may need every reserve he has in the future. He says he feels better on the low fat diet. He never ate high fat like me, but he ate a normal level of fats and is now deliberately doing lowfat/lower carb (about 80gms a day for him).

Hope all are doing well in this new year. I look forward to getting to know all of you better as we post to support each other. I feel a little behind as some of you are obviously longterm friends already.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #18
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all!!

I'm off to Charlotte NC tomorrow, where I will be at a customer's site for the next 4 days. I should be able to make sure I get OP breakfast and dinner, but lunch will most likely be tricky. Typically at big meetings like this they tend to order in things like pizza for everyone to share. Hopefully I can pipe up and make sure that a communal salad gets ordered as well. We'll see.

Michele, welcome back!! We've missed you.

Ivy, welcome to our daily check-in thread! Good job resisting that dessert.

So what's everyone eating today?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Good morning all!!

I'm off to Charlotte NC tomorrow, where I will be at a customer's site for the next 4 days. I should be able to make sure I get OP breakfast and dinner, but lunch will most likely be tricky. Typically at big meetings like this they tend to order in things like pizza for everyone to share. Hopefully I can pipe up and make sure that a communal salad gets ordered as well. We'll see.

Michele, welcome back!! We've missed you.

Ivy, welcome to our daily check-in thread! Good job resisting that dessert.

So what's everyone eating today?

(Insert that old sticking out tongue smiley. I don't like the new one!)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Hi everyone! I have had A LOT of time off! Miss you all and excited to see all the new members. I gained a pound over the holiday and I did my best to make good choices. It worked better than previous years, that's for sure.

My daughter just turned 2 on Friday, we had to cancel her birthday party due to icing yesterday and looks like we'll have even more icing today! High was in the 60s but now it's plummeting something fierce.

I hope everyone stays warm and healthy. Keep making good choices!
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Hi ladies. Day 1 for me again!!

Well, now that the family overload season is over, it's time to get back on track
I lost quite a bit on South Beach in the past and I'm hoping to succeed again, but for The Last Time. The message boards are so important to me to keep me on track.
I would like to post my meals for the day just to keep myself accountable so here goes.....
Breakfast
2 pcs Canadian bacon spread with 1 wedge laughing cow light v8
Snack
Flax muffin 1/4 c flax meal 1/4c egg sub 1c almond milk (spread throughout the day) coffee
Lunch
Tuna wrap on romaine
Snack
1 string cheese
10 cherry tomatoes
Anticipated dinner
Sun dried tomato and feta stuffed chix breast
Greek salad dressed with olive oil and lemon
Snack will prob be
1c hot almond milk
I think it looks ok. Any advice would be appreciated
TIA,
Sophie
Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
(Insert that old sticking out tongue smiley. I don't like the new one!)
Ha! Yes, I don't like the new one either. And nice try, Rose, on avoiding my question. So, what are YOU eating???

Glitter, great job on avoiding temptation during the holidays. Geez, you can get rid of 1 lb in about 2 days !!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie, missed your post. Your day one menu look good!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for posting yor menu Sophie. Gave me an idea as I had forgotten about tuna wraps on romaine.
Today we had:
Breakfast - egg white omlet with veggies for DH, scrambled eggs with sour cr for me
Shared a piece of lc toast - jelly on his, butter and cinnamon on mine
Coffee - black for him, mine with ezsweet and half 'n half . We have this
Breakfast every day. We are boring.
Lunch - He eats a protein bar. I don't eat lunch on week days.
Supper- Have a pot roast in the crock pot with mushrooms and green beans
Snacks- Celery sticks with nut butter. An orange for him. Strawberries for me.

We eat basically on this pattern every day. Protein choice may change but basically that is it. We do take vitamins, minerals, assorted supplements.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Yep, I'm a "repeat eater" also. Pretty much every day that's my breakfast. Dinner ALWAYS consists of chicken of some sort and a veg. My. Biggest problem is snacks and mindless eating after dinner.
As I said, if I don't keep myself accountable, I go off on a HUGE binge
Thanks for your input. It's appreciated !
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
repeat eater here too Breakfast is usually scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, spinach and split a piece of whole grain bread with my toddler. My husband gets that in a sandwich (sans spinach, he does like kale)

I made some simple chicken breasts last night. I got a new non stick pan for Christmas (Spirit Thermalon) I used olive oil and sprinkled 2 tsp Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder over all the chicken with a bit of salt. Having that with green beans and pinto beans for lunch. I have cashews and a banana for snack.

Tonight we are having taco salad.. I add a can of black beans to a 1lb of lean ground beef unless I remembered to put on a crockpot of pinto beans.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Your chicken sounds yummy Glitterific!
I have chicken and BBQ sauce in the crockpot for when we get home from work. Will probably heat up some squash to go with it.

DH announced this morning he has lost 2 pounds! Not bad for 1 week on SB especially as he was moderately lc already! I have replaced most of his snacks with veggies and fruit and that seems to be doing the trick. Guys are so lucky.

I'm in maintenance so not looking to lose but to eat a healthy diet and keep bgs in check. Guess I'm doing Bernstein with SB flare lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivybox View Post
Hi all! I have spent about 2 hours reading posts form may back! I have probably 6 SB books several cookbooks and Supercharged one. I have a LOT of weight to get off. I cannot even bring myself to type it! I have dieted since I was 12 and am 41! Lost a galbladder (dumb dr's did not realize it was a side effect of only having liquids for 21 weeks !)on one diet. My thyroid is shot and progesterone. Started taking thyroid meds 6 months ago. On and off with progesterone also it cause an additional 40lb weight gain! I have not been able to get the weight off for 12 years. Oh Just got diagnosed with sleep apnea (another weight loss hinderance factor!)! I am falling apart!!! I have tried too many diets and excersize nothing but gains. Now my thyroid seems to be in balance hoping I can get this weight off!
Does anyone else have this crazy issue with thyroid or progesterone?? I want this to work!!
I started a couple days ago. Did not realize we had a storm coming and made one of my fav desserts to take to church Sunday, to get the ingredients out of the house! Now we will be snowbound and the sugar fest is calling my name! I prayed, grabbed 10 pecans and drank 2 cups of tea!! YES I made it! Now I need to do the same resisting for at least another 2 years! BTW the dessert will be taken to my neiighbors home tomorrow, or tossed in the trash!
Ivy! I've never taken hormones, so I don't know about that. Anyway, your best bet is to get on the plan and stick there through thick and thin, work on your health and let the weight loss take care of itself in its own time.

You can post your menus for feedback if you want to or ask any questions you have. Did you toss the dessert?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2520 View Post
Well, now that the family overload season is over, it's time to get back on track
I lost quite a bit on South Beach in the past and I'm hoping to succeed again, but for The Last Time. The message boards are so important to me to keep me on track.
I would like to post my meals for the day just to keep myself accountable so here goes.....
Breakfast
2 pcs Canadian bacon spread with 1 wedge laughing cow light v8
Snack
Flax muffin 1/4 c flax meal 1/4c egg sub 1c almond milk (spread throughout the day) coffee
Lunch
Tuna wrap on romaine
Snack
1 string cheese
10 cherry tomatoes
Anticipated dinner
Sun dried tomato and feta stuffed chix breast
Greek salad dressed with olive oil and lemon
Snack will prob be
1c hot almond milk
I think it looks ok. Any advice would be appreciated
TIA,
Sophie
How are you doing today? This menu is a good start, but it's a little light on veggies. Maybe bump those up a bit; aim for 4-5 c. a day. Include some at breadfast and snacks.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Rose,
After looking at my meals both yesterday and today's, I'm definitely lacking in the veg department. Maybe I'll try to make a veg omelet in the morning.
Today's menu
Breakfast
2 sl Canadian bacon with LC cheese--"cow Sammy"?
Snack
Flax muffin
Lunch
Tuna wraps on romaine (didn't I tell u I'm a repeater!!!)
Snack
2hard boiled eggs
Roasted cherry tomatoes
Dinner
Grilled chicken breast w/ rosemary and orange zest
String beans
Leftover Greek salad
Snack
Celery sticks and almond milk

Family is home DINNER TIME
Ttys