Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Hello Beachers!

Busy, busy work day. I never did get a chance to check in here...

I thought I would list out some of our dinners from this week in case anyone is looking for ideas:

Oven Roasted Marinated Pork Tenderloin (Marinade was low sodium soy sauce, EVOO, juice from 1 orange, rosemary) and Cauliflower/Carrots, also roasted with salt, pepper, garlic/herb mix

Sautéed Chicken Breast with grape tomatoes and scallions, in a sauce of fresh lemon juice and chicken broth along with sautéed spinach

Home-made Ground Turkey and Spinach Meatballs and home-made Marinara Sauce. My husband had his on a WW roll, I had mine with a side salad

Tomorrow night will be a Chicken, Broccoli, Mushroom Casserole. Love those one dish meals...

Hope everyone is having a good week!
I need to do some simple sauteed dishes with fresh veggies. I roast a chicken every other week and have a lot of stock left from that. Thanks for posting your week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Glitter, you know what a nutritionist is gonna tell her. Probably give her one of those ADA handouts. I was leafing through a new diabetic cookbook that we got in a few days ago; I almost cried.

Wiz, I love seeing your menus. It sounds so yummy. What do you do for lunch? I wish I could rekindle interest in food.
*sigh* I know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsweets View Post
My DH is down 5 pounds now and had to adjust his belt in a hole!! He is very pleased. So even if the lower fats and increased veggies aren't really changing anything for his heart they sure are helping him drop some pounds and feel good.

I am baking him fish in lemon sauce for supper and vinegrett coleslaw to go with it. So far it is no trouble at all to keep my carbs a little lower than his and just add a little fat to my portions. We are both happy with our new way of eating.
Yay!! Dropping weight IS good for the heart! Great job

Quote:
Rose, I pretty much eat big leafy green salads for lunch every day, usually along with some leftover protein. I love doctoring them up with balsamic roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, freshly grated parm cheese, etc. And of course, always with home made dressing!
I have some new ideas now for salads. I love roasted veggies, why not make a bunch more to top salads with

I was doing some meal planning last night (I am a planner for anyone who is new).. I have a lot of shopping to do this weekend.. Penzey's Spices, A Taste of Olive and Costco

Tonight we're having Pulled Pork (from the freezer) with coleslaw and roasted cauliflower

Saturday: Lunch Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Brown Rice
Dinner: Turkey Meatloaf with roasted sweet potato and steamed veggies

Sunday: Lunch - tuna over salad with fruit
Dinner: Grilled Ginger Soy Pork with vegetable fried rice

Monday: Chicken Italian Sausage over sauteed kale with garlic, onion and chickpeas

Tuesday: Black Bean Fajita Casserole (trying out a new recipe) and salad

Wednesday: Chickpeas & Beef, Lemony Brown Rice, Green Beans

Thursday: Salmon burgers with sweet potato fries and salad

Friday: Pizza and Salad (I will have a big salad with a slice of pizza.. I make the dough whole grain with my own sauce )

Saturday: Roasted Chicken with roasted vegetables and rice or sweet potato

Sunday: Lunch: chicken noodle soup with raw veggies
Dinner: Blean Bean Chili with Lime and Cilantro with whole grain cornbread

Last edited by glitterific; 01-17-2014 at 06:07 AM..
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #62
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Wow! Glitter, that IS a lot of planning It all sounds very OP and yummy...

We're going out tonight (I do NOT cook on Fridays...). But we have a good selection of locally owned restaurants (no chains in our town!) with very OP choices. And yes, it will include a glass of wine!

I'm making an OP beef stew for Sunday that will give my husband leftovers for next week. I'm back on the road - Las Vegas for our global sales conference.

I think we'll be hitting our local seafood market and picking up some goodies for Saturday night. That is one of the beauties of living in a town with commercial fisheries. Fresh, fresh, fresh selections and good prices to boot.

TGIF!! It's been a crazy, stressful week. But I am happy to report I stayed OP throughout it all.

2014 Running Miles: 224
2014 Walking Miles: 214
2014 Biking Miles: 380
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
The weekends are tough. I went to a wedding shower today that offered a huge table of all carbs to snack on. Not a fruit or veggie to be found but lots of pepperoni bread, breaded cutlets, lasagna, and cake, cookies, eclairs galore. Very tough. It is quite rare not to find anything at all to eat at a buffet. And DH is at a hockey game and emailed that he is eating a huge cheesesteak....
Guess we will try to get back on plan tomorrow.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #64
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The weekends are tough. I went to a wedding shower today that offered a huge table of all carbs to snack on. Not a fruit or veggie to be found but lots of pepperoni bread, breaded cutlets, lasagna, and cake, cookies, eclairs galore. Very tough. It is quite rare not to find anything at all to eat at a buffet. And DH is at a hockey game and emailed that he is eating a huge cheesesteak....
Guess we will try to get back on plan tomorrow.
Shunsweets....stuff like this happens. No matter what, just get right back on plan with your next meal. Don't let it snowball into a week of bad eating due to one off plan meal.

I am off to Vegas today for our annual sales conference. It's usuallly a very good event, seeing lots of co-workers from around the world. But it is busy! They start us out at 7 AM breakfast, 8 AM general session and we don't finish until late into the evening with various events and training. Typically there are lots of things for me to eat at this, so I'm not too worried about staying OP. But exercise may be a problem... But I'm bringing my sneakers - just in case!!

Have a good week Beachers! I will check in when I can.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Wiz. Betcha you're glad that you're not in NJ right now. Our friend in Newton is going to time lapse it for us, so we won't miss it.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Hey I'm in NJ and it has been a rough few days but the snow is beautiful in the sunshine - just a challenge to get back and forth to work!

DH is down 6 pounds! He is loving the SBD. I am maintaining well and bgs are only up a few points. So far so good.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Hey I'm in NJ and it has been a rough few days but the snow is beautiful in the sunshine - just a challenge to get back and forth to work!

DH is down 6 pounds! He is loving the SBD. I am maintaining well and bgs are only up a few points. So far so good.
Where are you? DD goes to Newton/Andover/Allamuchy in the summer for internships. This will be her third year.

Yeah for DH!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sophie2520
Stats: 190.5/185.5/145
WOE: SB
Start Date: January 2014
well I fell off the wagon a bit

Not by much, I had some bread (wraps-low-carb 6 net) but not allowable in phase 1. Although, I lost almost 10 lbs. it's also TOM and I guess that explains a lot. I'm I'm going to manage through the weekend as close to plan as possible
But then really push as of Monday. I pulled up some sample menus for phase 1 and I'm just going to add a piece of fruit daily to ease me into phase 2. Or, do you think I should do one more week of phase 1?
sophie2520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2520 View Post
Not by much, I had some bread (wraps-low-carb 6 net) but not allowable in phase 1. Although, I lost almost 10 lbs. it's also TOM and I guess that explains a lot. I'm I'm going to manage through the weekend as close to plan as possible
But then really push as of Monday. I pulled up some sample menus for phase 1 and I'm just going to add a piece of fruit daily to ease me into phase 2. Or, do you think I should do one more week of phase 1?
I'd go ahead and move on.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

We live in far south NJ, Rose, almost at the DE bridge.

Sophie 2520- we have been using the 1 carb bread from Netrition and DH is still losing well including it.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 AM   #71
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Beachers!!

Things are nuts for me. Lots of stress at work and my husband's last day at his job is tomorrow. His company was sold and after 36 (!!) years he is out of work. In any case, let's just say the scale is not my friend right now.

And like many of you, this weather is not helping. I can't run outside, which depresses me which in turn causes me to eat more. Vicious cycle, isn't it?

In any case, making a great roasted chicken breast (on the bone) with roasted red peppers, garlic, balsamic vinegar dinner for tonight. Leftovers great on salad.

How is everyone else doing??
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hey everyone,
Just checking in. Great meal/menu ideas you guys are posting. havent really had the motivation to get back on plan. Sometimes I think maybe this diet doesnt work for me, I dont know. Im never really getting that jump start that Im looking for. Hope this finds everyone well
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #73
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
Hey everyone,
Just checking in. Great meal/menu ideas you guys are posting. havent really had the motivation to get back on plan. Sometimes I think maybe this diet doesnt work for me, I dont know. Im never really getting that jump start that Im looking for. Hope this finds everyone well
That's an interesting thought because I do believe that everyone has to find a way of eating that works for them. And after several starts/stops, maybe this is just not the right plan for you? I don't know if you remember Luisa who used to post on here, but she did JUDDD last year with great success. She incorporated many SBD concepts but followed the Up day/Down day eating plan of JUDDD.

For me, it's the first time in the 6 (!!) years that I've been doing SBD that I don't feel like I have control of my eating. It's very scary to me and I'm really trying to rope myself back. Right now, it's kind of a one-day-at-a-time mentality.

On the positive side, I was down 2 lbs this week and got a great 5-mile run done this morning (in balmy 22-degree conditions ). But wow, I have so much work to do in order to get back to my maintenance weight....

Have a good weekend gang!!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Ok, just did a lot of reading and regrouping to try this one last time. Had success for some many years. I think maybe due to age...I really need to make better choices, and watch portion sizes. The only one Im cheating and selling short is myself. Im gonna give 200% percent to 2 weeks of phase 1 and see where it gets me. I would really love to slim down for my wedding and maintain it!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you buckhuntress!

I am struggling too. DH is doing great on SBD and has lost the full 10 pounds he wanted to lose and is now working to find his maintenance level but my bgs are way up as I have been joining him in extra veggies, a few berries, and a slice of lc toast and my diabetic body apparently can't handle those few extra carbs grrrr! So I am dedicating myself to two weeks of near zero carbs to get rid of these cravings, get bgs back in line, and get back in ketosis. I'm not happy about it as I liked having more options. Oh and I am up 3 pounds as well. Guess SB doesn't work for me. I need high fat, very low carb. But it has been great for DH so I may check in here to get ideas and recipes for him. Thanks for all the help - nice group here.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Today's menu:
B fried egg with slice of RF cheese 2 slices turkey bacon, coffee with skim milk
S 1 cup NF plain greek yogurt
L 2 turkey slices of turkey rolled up with lettuce and dill pickle
D Stir fry mixed veggies (onions, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, zuchinni, summer squash, grilled chicken breast, and grilled shrimp
lots of water to drink, and a seltzer
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Ok, Im working alot this week, starting with a double overnight tonight/days tomorrow. Just finished preparing easy things on hand to stay OP this week. Celery is cut up, laughing cow cheese, huge salad made up, chicken grilled, grilled shrimp, crustless quiche made, eggs hard boiled, almonds measured out in 1/4 cup serving snack bags, individual containers of greek NF plain yogurt, lemons wedged, cans of low sodium V8, and a big bowl of ripe plum tomatoes. For the evenings I am home to prepare a meal for myself Ive got a thin cut sirloin steak, garlic and lemon pork tenderloin, cauliflower, mushrooms, and baby spinach to turn into something spectacular hopefully lol. Really, really trying to have a successful week! Going out with the girls from work Tuesday...I will order a salad with chicken or steak on it. The challenge will be not having a glass of wine while everyone else drinks. But other than that, I think if I can keep my motivation up I am good to go
Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #78
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ok, Im working alot this week, starting with a double overnight tonight/days tomorrow. Just finished preparing easy things on hand to stay OP this week. Celery is cut up, laughing cow cheese, huge salad made up, chicken grilled, grilled shrimp, crustless quiche made, eggs hard boiled, almonds measured out in 1/4 cup serving snack bags, individual containers of greek NF plain yogurt, lemons wedged, cans of low sodium V8, and a big bowl of ripe plum tomatoes. For the evenings I am home to prepare a meal for myself Ive got a thin cut sirloin steak, garlic and lemon pork tenderloin, cauliflower, mushrooms, and baby spinach to turn into something spectacular hopefully lol. Really, really trying to have a successful week! Going out with the girls from work Tuesday...I will order a salad with chicken or steak on it. The challenge will be not having a glass of wine while everyone else drinks. But other than that, I think if I can keep my motivation up I am good to go
Good for you!! Good luck this week, it sounds like you really have a great plan in place to stay successful.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #79
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wingrider
Stats: 225
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: January 28,2014
hello ladies < I hope u don't mind a guy jumping in here . I am the grocery buyer and cook for my house hold. Started SB on Jan 28' this is 2nd time lost 30 lbs first time ,fel off no starting again. i ques can I have smoked turkey necks in my bean soups
wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #80
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrider View Post
hello ladies < I hope u don't mind a guy jumping in here . I am the grocery buyer and cook for my house hold. Started SB on Jan 28' this is 2nd time lost 30 lbs first time ,fel off no starting again. i ques can I have smoked turkey necks in my bean soups
Welcome!! From time to time, we have had other guys as part of our group. Of course you are welcome to join us!! Good luck to you...
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

TY I have appreciated the receipts in the thread . Gave me new ways to succeed. Starting at 225 goal 190. Did not go back to the 250 I started the first time.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #82

Quote:
Hey Beachers!!

Things are nuts for me. Lots of stress at work and my husband's last day at his job is tomorrow. His company was sold and after 36 (!!) years he is out of work. In any case, let's just say the scale is not my friend right now.

And like many of you, this weather is not helping. I can't run outside, which depresses me which in turn causes me to eat more. Vicious cycle, isn't it?

In any case, making a great roasted chicken breast (on the bone) with roasted red peppers, garlic, balsamic vinegar dinner for tonight. Leftovers great on salad.

How is everyone else doing??
Wiz, this year is certainly going to bring some real change and also real opportunity to you both. Who knows what the next few weeks or months will present you with, but I feel certain it will be interesting and positive.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #83

Quote:
Ok, just did a lot of reading and regrouping to try this one last time. Had success for some many years. I think maybe due to age...I really need to make better choices, and watch portion sizes. The only one Im cheating and selling short is myself. Im gonna give 200% percent to 2 weeks of phase 1 and see where it gets me. I would really love to slim down for my wedding and maintain it!
Quote:
I think you have hit on the key. There is no "diet" or food plan that is magic unless you work it. And you are so right, choices determine the outcome.

Your plan for the coming week sounds great; it should be easy to stay with the plan. As far as the wine goes, what would happen if you just stuck with water or tea or whatever and passed on the wine?

It's too bad we can't e-mail each other motivation, isn't it! When is the wedding? Do you have a dress yet?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #84

Quote:
You are more than welcome to jump in. Turkey necks are fine. Since you are the cook, you will need to give recipes. I don't cook; I can cook, but I don't.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #85
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
Wiz, this year is certainly going to bring some real change and also real opportunity to you both. Who knows what the next few weeks or months will present you with, but I feel certain it will be interesting and positive.
Thanks Rose! I just need to make sure I don't eat my way through all of these changes.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #86

Quote:
Thanks Rose! I just need to make sure I don't eat my way through all of these changes.
Snort.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #87
Junior LCF Member

Ty Rose1 for my beans love the turkey necks for seasoning I put them on low heat until meat falls off the bone.
1 Smoked turkey necks
2 beans of choice soaked
3 bell pepper 1 large
4 onions as many as u like (I used 1 large sweet onion))
5 chicken stock or broth
6 black pepper to taste

cook turkey neck in chicken broth or stock . when done add all the rest of the ingredients (more liquid if necessary) If u want it to be more of a soup u can add veggies of choice more liguid

Last edited by wingrider; 02-03-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #88

Quote:
Ty Rose1 for my beans love the turkey necks for seasoning I put them on low heat until meat falls off the bone.
1 Smoked turkey necks
2beans of choice soaked

And garlic, onions, celery and carrots!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Ty u Rose I had forgotten about the garlic and I use garlic a lot in my cooking I do add veggies sometimes
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Desert tonight 1 ice cream scoop of roccotta cheese 2 tsp vanilla splenda to taste (sweetner of choice) almonds or walnuts copped mix ingredients and top with the nuts (those in ph 2 can use fruit to top)