Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
December

It's the home stretch! Only one month left until the new year!
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Rose, thanks for kicking us off for the month!!

OK, folks, I went off the cliff this past weekend.

Too many tempting foods between Thanksgiving dinner, tailgates, parties, etc. Back on track as of this morning...although it will be tough as I am flying to Dallas for a weeklong business trip. I plan on eating a ton of salads. Wish me luck...

How did everyone else do over the long holiday weekend??

By the way, I made a bunch of fancy casseroles, etc. for our dinner, but one really simple dish I made was very SB friendly. From the Barefoot Contessa, it was a saute of sugar snap peas and asparagus tips. I never thought of cooking those two veggies together and it was a delicious combination.

Not sure when I will be able to check in again this week, but I hope everyone is back on track....

2014 Running Miles: 285
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 441
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

On track here. Salad sounds good!

Thanksgiving was interesting. I could eat the green beans after I picked the bacon off. I took a bowl of nuts, so I ate some nuts.

The saute sounds like something I would like.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Hi everyone! Had a great 5 days off from work.. got to enjoy cooking and being with family. It all goes so fast.

I went off too. We had multiple Thanksgivings but I am back hon track. I made a lot of friendly meals (turkey barley soup, shephards pie with sweet potato on top and made some bbq sauce to mix with turkey) I probably ought to do Phase 1 but I planned out this weeks meals with the rest of the turkey I made over the weekend and some freezer leftovers.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glitter, I am doing Phase 2 as well - even though I should have gone back to Phase 1 for a couple of days. But Phase 1 is very challenging when eating all meals out!

Rose, not even any sweet potatoes?? I made a savory version with parm cheese, very SB friendly. You should have come to my house. I had tons of veggie dishes...

Even though I hate exercising inside, I did use the hotel gym this morning. And I took the customers to a famous BBQ restaurant here in Dallas. I had the smoked brisket and a side salad, with plenty of water. Today was a good eating day!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Glitter, I am doing Phase 2 as well - even though I should have gone back to Phase 1 for a couple of days. But Phase 1 is very challenging when eating all meals out!

Rose, not even any sweet potatoes?? I made a savory version with parm cheese, very SB friendly. You should have come to my house. I had tons of veggie dishes...

Even though I hate exercising inside, I did use the hotel gym this morning. And I took the customers to a famous BBQ restaurant here in Dallas. I had the smoked brisket and a side salad, with plenty of water. Today was a good eating day!
The sweet potatoes were loaded with brown sugar and marshmallows.

I'll be there next year.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
The sweet potatoes were loaded with brown sugar and marshmallows.

I'll be there next year.
UGH! I don't know why people feel the need to add sugar to something that is naturally sweet already. Personally I just love plain old baked sweet potatoes. My husband and I like to split a small one...

Ha! I only host once every 3 years, put it on your calendar for 2016
Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
UGH! I don't know why people feel the need to add sugar to something that is naturally sweet already. Personally I just love plain old baked sweet potatoes. My husband and I like to split a small one...

Ha! I only host once every 3 years, put it on your calendar for 2016
Done! Just don't be surprised to see me standing at your front door.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Marshmallows are just so vile.. even before SB I loathed them!

I got myself a new kitchen tool.. a veggie spiral slicer! It was a great deal over the weekend on Amazon (normally ~$30, marked down to $20) looking forward to making some noodles out of veggies and some sweet potato curly fries

Last edited by glitterific; 12-05-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Marshmallows are just so vile.. even before SB I loathed them!

I got myself a new kitchen tool.. a veggie spiral slicer! It was a great deal over the weekend on Amazon (normally ~$30, marked down to $20) looking forward to making some noodles out of veggies and some sweet potato curly fries
Well, I don't eat anything with gelatin in it so that puts me off mashmallows.

Have fun with your new gadget.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone! Just about mid-December. Hope all is going well! I'm doing all right here.. just need to get in more exercise. I'll be volunteering to shovel snow this weekend so that should help! I also need to get a sled I can pull my daughter around since we are going to get more snow.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Hi everyone! Just about mid-December. Hope all is going well! I'm doing all right here.. just need to get in more exercise. I'll be volunteering to shovel snow this weekend so that should help! I also need to get a sled I can pull my daughter around since we are going to get more snow.
I remember playing/working in the snow when the boys were little. Have fun!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Hi everyone,
I'm back again. Been on and off plan for a few months, kept about 3 lbs off.
Back with new motivation, just got engaged so now ofcourse want to look slim for the big day! I'm gonna do a strict phase 2 til the first of the year, and then start phase 1 after all the holiday bustle. I think I would be setting myself up to fail attempting phase 1 this time of year.
Hope all is well with the beachers, need to catch up on these boards. Im gonna make the mock Kale lasagna from Kalyns kitchen when I come home from work today, has anyone tried it?
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #14
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry to be MIA...but life has been a bit overwhelming lately.

- We lost a dear buddy of ours to a heart attack 2 days ago.
- Work is absolutely nuts for me - to the point of complete overload. (Although, after reading below, you will see I am thankful to have this job.)
- We found out that my husband's company has been sold and after 36 (!!) years of employment there, he's done in January.
- And did I mention I got stranded in the snow at the Eagles game last Sunday and had to spend the night in a hotel with no luggage, no toothbrush, nothing? That's how I started my week....

And I still have a mountain of Christmas shopping to do.

What does this mean in term of eating and exercise? Well, I'm too afraid to get on the scale. I've been doing stress relief through food. And even worse, my exercise has been spotty because I am so swamped (not to mention that the weather is horribly cold.)

Yikes!! I am SO not feeling the Christmas spirit right now. On the plus side, we have no plans on Saturday and Sunday of this weekend. I told my husband that I plan to cook a pork, butternut squash and fennel stew, finish up some shopping, and then we will spend the rest of the weekend watching holiday movies in front of the fireplace enjoying our festively decorated home!

I hope you are all doing well. Wish me luck in getting all this stress under control!!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #15
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang,

I made this recipe from Bon Appetit magazine yesterday and we both loved it. I tweaked it for the crockpot, instead of a dutch oven. Basically, I boiled the sauce down a bit before putting it in the crockpot, instead of after. And I put slightly less liquid in than was called for, because crockpots tend to make things more liquid.

Other than that, I did all the browning of the meat, softening of the veggies in a large skillet and threw it all in the crockpot on low. It's a bit of prep work, but easily made enough for 2 nights. I did brown the fennel upfront with the onion, but threw in the butternut squash about 45 minutes before serving.

Pork Stew with Fennel and Butternut Squash

Ingredients
•3 pounds 2-inch pieces trimmed pork shoulder (I used a pork loin, less fat)
•2 teaspoons salt (I only put in 1/2 teas)
•1 teaspoon ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
•1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•1 cup chopped thinly sliced pancetta* (about 4 ounces)
•2 cups chopped onions
•3 garlic cloves, chopped
•1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
•2 cups low-salt chicken broth
•1 cup dry red wine
•2 large fresh fennel bulbs; fronds chopped and reserved, bulbs cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
•20 1 1/2-inch cubes peeled butternut squash (part of 3-pound squash)

Preparation

Place pork in large bowl. Mix next 6 ingredients in small bowl; sprinkle over pork, turning pork to coat evenly. Let stand 30 minutes. (Don't skip this step, the herbs really adhered nicely to the meat.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to medium bowl. Add half of pork to pot; sauté until brown, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to bowl with pancetta. Repeat with remaining pork. Add onions and garlic to pot; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, broth, wine, and pork mixture. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.

Cover pot; place in oven. Cook stew 1 hour. Add fennel bulbs, chopped fronds, and squash cubes to stew. Cover and cook in oven until pork and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to large bowl; cover. Boil sauce over medium-high heat until thickened enough to coat spoon, about 25 minutes. Return meat and vegetables to sauce; season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.) Rewarm over low heat.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #16

Wiz, I'm so sorry about your friend; and about the job news. Did he know it was coming or was he blindsided? It's so hard to devote your life to a company, then poof.

Stress? Deep breaths and one thing at a time, right? Be sure to take good care of yourselves, first and foremost!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wiz, I'm so sorry about your friend; and about the job news. Did he know it was coming or was he blindsided? It's so hard to devote your life to a company, then poof.

Stress? Deep breaths and one thing at a time, right? Be sure to take good care of yourselves, first and foremost!
Rose, the job thing was a HUGE surprise. The same family has owned the business for 110 years and it is highly profitable. My husband is not as upset about his own situation as he is for all the guys that work for him.

It's left us feeling bittersweet about the holidays. Last year was the loss of my MiL and Hurricane Sandy, now we've got this going on. But as you well know, my friend, we have no choice but to pick ourselves up and get moving again.

On the plus side, our "big" gift to each other is a trip to NYC next weekend. We are going to see the new Carole King musical "Beautiful", have dinner at a great, funky little restaurant called The Red Cat in Chelsea, and stay overnight (using Marriott points, of course ). At this point in our lives, Christmas is all about creating memories - not accumulating more stuff.

How is everyone else doing?? It's been awfully quiet around here...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and by the way, that stew recipe I posted was even better the 2nd day. My husband voted it a keeper!!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #19

Wiz, while I'm sure you will be fine, the younger workers who are probably not on as solid ground, will have a much harder time. With no notice, there is no time to prepare at all. If that happened here, it would be devastating because the job market is really closed. This could very well open new possibilities for you, though.

You're right, it is quiet in here, which means that most people are way, way off track, no doubt. It will probably pick up after Christmas. In the meantime, continuing on day by day.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #20
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Got a good run in today!! It was a brisk 26 degrees out, but no rain, snow, etc. I'll take it!!

Going to 2 for 1 burger night, so no cooking this evening. I get the bruschetta burger, no roll and side salad. Mr. Wiz, of course, get the big white roll and fries.

Off to a customer meeting, last one of the year!!

Rose, interestingly enough...there is nothing holding us in NJ anymore. Not that we plan to go anywhere soon, but it does open some thoughts for us.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Got a good run in today!! It was a brisk 26 degrees out, but no rain, snow, etc. I'll take it!!

Going to 2 for 1 burger night, so no cooking this evening. I get the bruschetta burger, no roll and side salad. Mr. Wiz, of course, get the big white roll and fries.

Off to a customer meeting, last one of the year!!

Rose, interestingly enough...there is nothing holding us in NJ anymore. Not that we plan to go anywhere soon, but it does open some thoughts for us.
Gee whiz, it's warmer in NJ than here. So if nothing is holding you, that does open things up! DD helped her friends in NJ move his parents to the central east coast of Florida in July. They were tired of the NJ winters, so they are keeping a small condo in NJ for when they want to visit children/grandchildren and transferring home base to FL.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #22
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooooops, got de-railed yesterday At customer meeting, they ordered pizza and of course, I ate it since there was nothing else. So no 2 for 1 burgers last night, had a salad at home instead along with some surprisingly good fresh blueberries that were on sale this week.

Off to NYC for shopping and lunch with the girls!! Love the Union Square Christmas Market, many vendors with gorgeous crafts, jewelry, etc. Wonderful way to spend and the weather appears to be cooperating for a day spent outside...
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #23

Sounds like a wonderful day. Hope you find something wonderful and special to buy!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A very Merry day in NYC was had by all!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg union square 2013.jpg (87.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #25

Wiz, that is such a great picture. You all look like such good friends; I'm sure you had a great day!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

After 3 straight days of parties I am so thankful to have a day of normal eating. Eggs and salsa for breakfast, salad for lunch, stuffed Mexi peppers for dinner. Plus an hour on my exercise bike this morning. It's a beautiful thing...
Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #27

It is nice to have a normal day in there, isn't it!

People are coming in today with Christmas goodies. I bet the ER staff at the hospital would love the stuff. I could drop it off with BFF on my way home. Brilliant, yes?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It is nice to have a normal day in there, isn't it!

People are coming in today with Christmas goodies. I bet the ER staff at the hospital would love the stuff. I could drop it off with BFF on my way home. Brilliant, yes?
Absolutely!! My family sent us home this weekend with a ton of home-made cookies. I plan to eat my faves (the walnut crescents that my Mom makes - yum!!) and send the rest to my husband's work.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #29

Merry Christmas!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jen5245
WOE: SBD
Start Date: January 5th
Not much progress

My name is Jen and I live in Annapolis MD. until the last 5 years I never really had much of a weight issue, but now my weight is steadily creeping up and I always feel bloated. As a result of that i am now on the SBD, so far i haven't seen any weightloss I am on day 4. How quickly did you guys see a difference?
jen5245 is offline   Reply With Quote