Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishlady1985
Stats: 256/256/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 14,2013
Atkins or south beach? which is the better one

I am starting my journey on November 14, 2013, the day after my 28th Birthday....yeah I am eating cake on my bday lol. But I really want to make it through the first two week of induction without cheating. I have never made it past 9 days..I know sad. ANy advice would be much appreciated. I think I am leaning more towards doing Atkins. Thank you
Irishlady1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Whichever one you can stick to is the one that's best for you. That sounds trite, but I really believe that.

I'm much more a fan of Atkins: I like ketosis, I don't think adding fruit and grains is best, and I really dislike the low fat aspect of SB. But if you are having trouble with its restrictions, maybe try SB and see how you do with it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
WOE: South Beach
I liked how fast I lost on Atkins and how indulgent it was (for the most part) but climbing the ladder was difficult without stalling.

A lot of us choose healthy fats over the low fat recommendations, for example I use real butter vs margarine. I don't think South Beach is correct on saturated fat, that is my own belief so I use real fats instead, just moderately so. I find this WOE much easier to follow. I think it's well laid out as far as when to add things and how to know when you should stop adding food. I find cooking meals a lot more enjoyable and a bit easier on the pocket book.

Read the food lists that are stickied at the top of our forum and see if you find yourself able to sustain yourself long enough and really make it a life change.
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishlady1985
Stats: 256/256/185
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 14,2013
Thank you so much

I am pretty sure I am going to go with Atkins, I tend to over eat on peanuts on SB. SO I will do my first day on Thursday. Thank you so much for the advice.
Irishlady1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishlady1985 View Post
I am pretty sure I am going to go with Atkins, I tend to over eat on peanuts on SB. SO I will do my first day on Thursday. Thank you so much for the advice.
I avoid nuts for that very reason! I eat them at a party, for example, when I know I will only have a few. But I never keep nuts in my home. I don't care if they are legal on SBD, they are a trigger food for me.

No matter what plan you do, you need to figure out what parts of it work for you and what parts don't.

Good luck to you on whatever plan you choose! FYI. As Glitter mentions, many of us that follow SBD do not agree with the saturated fat stance. We only use EVOO and butter in our house. But I like an occasional whole grain, sweet potato or starchy squash plus fruits of course. So SBD is good for me! I just don't eat them every day...

2014 Running Miles: 328
2014 Walking Miles: 278
2014 Biking Miles: 456
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote