Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   South Beach Diet (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/south-beach-diet/)
-   -   November (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/south-beach-diet/816333-november.html)

rose1 10-31-2013 08:32 PM

November

The end of the year is in sight. We are going into the hardest part of the year for some as far as diets/ eating plans go. How are you going to handle it?

DDuMouchel 11-03-2013 07:48 AM

I'm handling it by beginning SB! Today is my first day. I have Spinach & Mozzarella Egg Bake from Kalyn's Kitchen cooking in the oven for breakfast. I have a couple eggplants to make into a yummy-sounding casserole for dinner (if I can just find the recipe again!) and will probably make beef patties for the protein to go along with it.

I was on SB 7 or 8 years ago and I know planning is essential to my success -- if it's not in my kitchen, I can't prepare it and if I can't prepare it, it's too easy to fall back into my old habits and eat out too much. It's easier for me to control my eating when I control the ingredients that go into our food.

rose1 11-03-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 16668946)
I'm handling it by beginning SB! Today is my first day. I have Spinach & Mozzarella Egg Bake from Kalyn's Kitchen cooking in the oven for breakfast. I have a couple eggplants to make into a yummy-sounding casserole for dinner (if I can just find the recipe again!) and will probably make beef patties for the protein to go along with it.

I was on SB 7 or 8 years ago and I know planning is essential to my success -- if it's not in my kitchen, I can't prepare it and if I can't prepare it, it's too easy to fall back into my old habits and eat out too much. It's easier for me to control my eating when I control the ingredients that go into our food.

So true. We don't plan out menus because our schedule is too erratic, but we don't buy anything that we shouldn't eat. If we don't have it, we can't eat it! Control is essential!

:welcome: to the group.

DDuMouchel 11-03-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Rose! It's nice to find a board where people respond to people's posts. :newbie:

rose1 11-03-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 16669274)
Thanks for the welcome, Rose! It's nice to find a board where people respond to people's posts. :newbie:

:laugh: It might take a day or two, esp on weekends, but at least we're pretty good about answering questions. South Beach is off in its own little corner, so not as busy as the main board.

glitterific 11-05-2013 08:38 AM

Hi, Welcome DDuMouchel !!! Already November, 3 weeks til Thanksgiving! We had a wonderful Halloween (although I ate candy) lots of fun. I made a whole grain cornbread for the potluck dinner and everyone loved it!

2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 cups cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup honey or sweetener of choice (we use xylitol at home with success)
1/2 cup oil
2 cups milk (skim for SBers)
2 eggs

Directions:
Combine the corn meal,flour,baking powder,and salt.
Add the honey,oil,milk and eggs.
Mix just enough to moisten the batter.
Pour the batter into an oiled 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 375 degree oven for 20-35 minutes or until golden brown.

You can cut the recipe in half and use an 8x8 sheet.

Here are some pictures from Halloween that I promised to share. I put together our costumes. I made a 'no sew' tutu, bought the black shirt and leopard pants at a consignment sale and the head band from Target ($18 for her costume). I bought my hat *$8) and everything else I already owned.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0...9642912_n.jpgphttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b...02038468_n.jpg

Gmomof7 11-05-2013 05:57 PM

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted but I wanted to let y'all know I'm supposed to have surgery tomorrow on a disk in my neck. I'm hoping this takes care of my problem. Hope all my SB friends are doing well! Have completely gone off plan but after surgery will try to get back OP.

Glitter your little girl is a cutie!!

Berta48 11-06-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmomof7 (Post 16672428)
Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted but I wanted to let y'all know I'm supposed to have surgery tomorrow on a disk in my neck. I'm hoping this takes care of my problem. Hope all my SB friends are doing well! Have completely gone off plan but after surgery will try to get back OP.

Glitter your little girl is a cutie!!

:aprayer: All goes well and you have quick recovery!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterific (Post 16671679)
Hi, Welcome DDuMouchel !!! Already November, 3 weeks til Thanksgiving! We had a wonderful Halloween (although I ate candy) lots of fun. I made a whole grain cornbread for the potluck dinner and everyone loved it!

2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 cups cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup honey or sweetener of choice (we use xylitol at home with success)
1/2 cup oil
2 cups milk (skim for SBers)
2 eggs

Directions:
Combine the corn meal,flour,baking powder,and salt.
Add the honey,oil,milk and eggs.
Mix just enough to moisten the batter.
Pour the batter into an oiled 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
Bake at 375 degree oven for 20-35 minutes or until golden brown.

You can cut the recipe in half and use an 8x8 sheet.

Here are some pictures from Halloween that I promised to share. I put together our costumes. I made a 'no sew' tutu, bought the black shirt and leopard pants at a consignment sale and the head band from Target ($18 for her costume). I bought my hat *$8) and everything else I already owned.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0...9642912_n.jpgphttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b...02038468_n.jpg

Glitter that sounds so good.I have been thinking of beans and cornbread but didn't think we were allowed corn or cornmeal:dunno: Good to know I can:clap::up:

I'm still struggleing but haven't given up so that's good right?:laugh:

DDuMouchel 11-06-2013 11:32 AM

thanks for the welcome, Glitterific. I'm assuming the corn bread recipe is for Phase 2?

wiz 11-06-2013 11:11 PM

Aloha!! We are having an awesome time in Maui. Gosh, it is just gorgeous. I don't have too much to post (eating has been tough, at best :o) but I have posted a new avi taken at Lahaina harbor where we had lunch one afternoon.

Glitter, your daughter is adorable!!

Welcome DD!!

GMom, good luck with the surgery. :console:

Hey Rose, thanks for starting us off this month.

Take care Beachers!!

glitterific 11-07-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 16673408)
thanks for the welcome, Glitterific. I'm assuming the corn bread recipe is for Phase 2?

Yes, no wheat or corn for phase 1

Fit2010 11-09-2013 02:21 PM

Wiz - Would be lovely to be in Maui! I have never been there, though I did grow up (8 years) on Oahu (military brat!) Such a lovely State! One thing about traveling, is though you may eat differently, typically you are a little more active (at least my husband and I are). Enjoy! Cannot wait to see more photos.

I've been enjoying the recipes and suggestions of snacks that you all share. I think this could be a great way to maintain after I reach goal. I have to lose...and carbs are such a problem for me. I have lost on a high protein/low diet in the past. Perhaps I'll do a combo thing with SB on the weekends for a while....Insulin resistance is such a pain!!

Erin711 11-10-2013 09:34 AM

Week 1 SBD

First week on SBD...done! Down 7.6 pounds :jumpjoy:! Feeling GREAT!!

DDuMouchel 11-10-2013 10:11 AM

First week on SB done for me too! 3.5 lbs. gone. :clap:

rose1 11-10-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin711 (Post 16677976)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 16678011)

Off to a good start!

glitterific 11-12-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel (Post 16678011)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin711 (Post 16677976)

great news!!! Congratulations on the accomplishments ladies!

I got on the scale today and things are good here! Back on track.. I need to get moving more and with the change in weather, I have to figure out when I can get time in at the gym. Work has one but a new company is moving in so it's going to be mobbed again.

I hope all is well with our regulars! I'm so thrilled that our newest members have started off well right out of the gate. Please continue to chime in and we all love it when you share what you eat (it's inspiring for us all)

our menu this week:
turkey meatloaf, roasted broccoli and delicata squash
roasted chicken, green beans, sweet potato
freezer meal pumpkin chili with ground beef, black beans and kidney beans (Kalyn's Kitchen) I am making whole grain cornbread again for the family
Chicken Pot Pie Soup (skinnytaste recipe, swap white potato for sweet potato)
and this weekend we are going to the poconos so I have to figure out which meal I get to plan (3 couples are going and we are all taking a meal to prepare)

glitterific 11-15-2013 08:13 AM

Howdy everyone! Hope all is well! I'm making a chili to take with us this weekend and some whole grain corn bread. I am going to do my best to stay OP but I'm at the mercy of friends deciding the menu for the meals they are planning.

Just a few weeks til Turkey day. Anyone have any plans for what you are making?

wiz 11-17-2013 07:16 AM

Hey Beachers!!

I am back from Hawaii, and wow, those 2 weeks went quickly. I am actually really looking forward to getting back on plan and did a major food shopping yesterday to stock up on OP foods. My husband and I plan on doing Phase 1 right up until Thanksgiving. We'll go off plan for one day, and then head to Phase 2 that Friday. I plan to weigh in this Friday.

We were incredibly active while away - hiking mountains, craters, beach trails, etc. Tons of swimming. But of course, we indulged in a dessert here and there, plus far more cocktail drinking than we do at home. (Mai Tai, Blue Hawaii, etc to name a couple :o)

So what's been happening here?

Glitter, the chili sounds good. I have all the ingredients for that here, and may have to make some this week.

I'm making stuffed peppers tonight for dinner. Red Peppers were on sale this week!!

Welcome to the new folks!! I've been away for 2 weeks, but am a regular, long-time (well, not as long as Rose :laugh:) poster here. I've been following a SBD lifestyle since January 2008 and love it!

FYI. New avi is from a bird sanctuary trail in Kihei on Maui where we spotted over 30 sea turtles in a cove. And by the way, a group of sea turtles is called a "bale." Yes, I had to look that one up :laugh:.

Hope everyone is ready for a great OP week!! :cool:

Susan179 11-17-2013 02:35 PM

Hi Ladies, Just bought a SBD book this weekend. Would really love to lose 20 pounds before summer. Started part of phase 1, no/very low carbs for a week and lost 2 1/2 pounds. (not bad for doing a lot of strength training).

wiz 11-18-2013 10:09 AM

Welcome Susan!!

I'm doing Phase 1 this week to de-tox from vacation...it feels good to be back on track. :D

rose1 11-18-2013 10:52 AM

:hiya: Wiz! You have lots of beautiful pictures to share, right?

:welcome: Susan!

wiz 11-19-2013 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rose1 (Post 16687578)

Rose, I need to get all my photos in order, I took a ton of them! But here is my favorite one of Joe and me. This was taken at Makena State Park on Maui, on a beach called "Big Beach." It was really early in the morning and it was absolutely deserted. We went swimming (ocean in the 80s!) and I was taking a photo of Joe, when this nice older guy strolled up and offered to take one of both of us.

glitterific 11-19-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiz (Post 16686214)
Hey Beachers!!

I am back from Hawaii, and wow, those 2 weeks went quickly. I am actually really looking forward to getting back on plan and did a major food shopping yesterday to stock up on OP foods. My husband and I plan on doing Phase 1 right up until Thanksgiving. We'll go off plan for one day, and then head to Phase 2 that Friday. I plan to weigh in this Friday.

We were incredibly active while away - hiking mountains, craters, beach trails, etc. Tons of swimming. But of course, we indulged in a dessert here and there, plus far more cocktail drinking than we do at home. (Mai Tai, Blue Hawaii, etc to name a couple :o)

So what's been happening here?

Glitter, the chili sounds good. I have all the ingredients for that here, and may have to make some this week.

I'm making stuffed peppers tonight for dinner. Red Peppers were on sale this week!!

Welcome to the new folks!! I've been away for 2 weeks, but am a regular, long-time (well, not as long as Rose :laugh:) poster here. I've been following a SBD lifestyle since January 2008 and love it!

FYI. New avi is from a bird sanctuary trail in Kihei on Maui where we spotted over 30 sea turtles in a cove. And by the way, a group of sea turtles is called a "bale." Yes, I had to look that one up :laugh:.

Hope everyone is ready for a great OP week!! :cool:

I had no idea a group of sea turtles was a bale :) cool
Sounds like a lovely trip!
You did fantastic.. you enjoyed yourself and got right back to the best WOE! *high five*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan179 (Post 16686681)
Hi Ladies, Just bought a SBD book this weekend. Would really love to lose 20 pounds before summer. Started part of phase 1, no/very low carbs for a week and lost 2 1/2 pounds. (not bad for doing a lot of strength training).

Welcome!! enjoy the book and post whenever you can, browse recipes.. you can get 20 pounds off by summer.. you can do it and we're here to help cheer you on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose1 (Post 16687578)

yes, pictures!

We had a lovely weekend away that included a lot of off plan eating.. we're right back at it this week.

I'm really fed up with Pinterest recipes. It is now my official policy that if the blog doesn't have comments, the dish is probably not a good one. I was able to save last night by mixing in some plain tomato sauce to make a sloppy joe.

wiz 11-19-2013 08:43 AM

Glitter, I know what you mean on the recipe front. I like reading comments/reviews!

Last night I made one of our favorites, and it is quite easy.

Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenderloins

~2 lbs chicken tenderloins (or you can use boneless breasts, sliced or whole)
2 beaten eggs, in a small bowl
~ 3/4 cup of grated parm cheese (when on Phase 2, I do 1/4 cup WW bread crumbs and 1/2 cup parm cheese) with dried herbs, I used a dash of oregano, dash of no-salt garlic herb blend, ground pepper - all in a small bowl.

With one hand, coat a tenderloin in egg, then in other hand, coat the tenderloin in parm mixture. Lay on greased (cooking spray) baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, turn over and bake another 10 minutes.

I served with home-made marinara and sautéed spinach and garlic.

These are great leftover on your salad the next day!

wiz 11-20-2013 05:24 AM

Hmmmm....it's awfully quiet around here!

Still hanging tough on Phase 1. Last night's dinner was chicken breast strips sautéed with asparagus tips, sundried tomatoes, garlic and fennel seed - topped with a little grated parm cheese.

Getting geared up for a 5 mile Turkey Trot race on Saturday. Most of my neighborhood participates. It's always a good day!

How's everyone else doing on the Beach??

glitterific 11-20-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiz (Post 16689973)

Still hanging tough on Phase 1. Last night's dinner was chicken breast strips sautéed with asparagus tips, sundried tomatoes, garlic and fennel seed - topped with a little grated parm cheese.

Getting geared up for a 5 mile Turkey Trot race on Saturday. Most of my neighborhood participates. It's always a good day!

It is quiet.. I hope everyone is doing their best. The most important part that I'm learning is to stay involved where you can get support :heart: I use to run off when I would go off plan and well, that doesn't help. I hope what I do will help someone else.

We went to Cracker Barrell last night. I had a chicken tenderloin salad.

That sounds fantastic that people come out and run, what a great idea :)

wiz 11-20-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterific (Post 16690035)

That sounds fantastic that people come out and run, what a great idea :)

A couple of my girlfriends walk as well, and then we all go out for lunch and a beer afterwards! I do have to say that my neighborhood is very into outside running/walking all year long. It spurs all of us on to keep going because we're all out there together. :up:

rose1 11-20-2013 09:54 AM

Nag, nag! :annoyed:

OK, I'll talk. I'm not eating again. Sigh. Kick my butt!

Berta48 11-20-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiz (Post 16689973)

Struggeling but hanging in at 244. Hoping to get back 100% after this craft show I have been so busy getting prepared for this Sat. Bet I won't wait a month prior next year:p this has really been stresssful getting things ready.Not getting even half of what I wanted to.

wiz 11-21-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose1 (Post 16690418)
Nag, nag! :annoyed:

OK, I'll talk. I'm not eating again. Sigh. Kick my butt!

ROSE!!! You need to take care of yourself. :hugs: What does your daughter say about your (lack of) eating habits?? Do I need to come down to TN and kick your butt? :laugh: Or better yet, make you a big pot of Pumpkin Mushroom bisque? (That is my soup course for Thanksgiving...)

Berta, good luck with the craft show! What type of crafts do you make? One of my friends is doing a lot of cool crafts with recycled items. Wine corks, wine bottles (she makes the neatest oil lamps with them!), pages from books, plus sea glass, driftwood, etc.

While we are all confessing our shortcomings :o, I will admit that I snacked last night. It was OP, but far too late in the evening. I've been doing much better with the no night-time snacking lately, but I succumbed to temptation for some reason yesterday. :dunno:

Off to a customer meeting...talk to you all later!