Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gailbayne
Stats: 245/237.5/150
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 05/18/2013
Ok - Here's what the eye surgeon said: The stitch that he took in my left eye will be staying, permanently. Everything looks good, so far. Healing is progressing. The fuzziness in my left eye is the result of the different implant, and can be corrected with glasses. Oh, well, life without glasses was good while it lasted. Next appointment is in 3 weeks, then hopefully the pressure will be back to normal, and I will be fitted for my new glasses.

Eating is still not perfect, but I am trying to stay on plan.
gailbayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glitterific
Stats: 224/166/140
Good(not great) news, Penny. Doing the best you can is great!!

I had a great recipe out of the South Beach Quick and Wasy book, Pork and Vegetable stir fry. Oh gosh was it good! 3 TBL soy sauce and 1/2C sugar free apricot jam for the sauce. Next time I will thicken it with xantham gum but wow yummy!

1 1/2lbs pork or chicken
4 garlic cloves minced
1lb broccoli
1 red bell pepper
1 bunch scallions/green onions
4oz snow peas
2tbl oil, divided

Heat pan over high heat, add 1 tbl oil, cook meat 5 min and put aside
Heat another 1tbl oil, add garlic for 30 seconds then add the rest of the veg. Cook 3-4 min. Addd sauce and chicken, cook 1 min more and tada! Soo good and simple
glitterific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #63
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: wiz
Start Date: 1/2/2008
Greetings from London!! Very, very wet over here. It just rained ALL day on Sunday.

Since it was an indoor day , I went to a lovely exhibit on Pearls at the Victoria and Albert Museum. It showed all the science behind pearls forming, the type of mollusks/shells they form in, and tons of gorgeous pieces of jewelry and clothing through the ages loaded with pearls. It was fascinating.

Long run in Hyde Park this morning and now I'm off to some meetings!

Penny, hang in there. Heck, I've been wearing glasses since I was 7. There are worse things in life!!

Glitter, that combination of ingredients looks good, thanks for sharing.

Later!

2014 Running Miles: 394
2014 Walking Miles: 313
2014 Biking Miles: 513
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
Good(not great) news, Penny. Doing the best you can is great!!

I had a great recipe out of the South Beach Quick and Wasy book, Pork and Vegetable stir fry. Oh gosh was it good! 3 TBL soy sauce and 1/2C sugar free apricot jam for the sauce. Next time I will thicken it with xantham gum but wow yummy!

1 1/2lbs pork or chicken
4 garlic cloves minced
1lb broccoli
1 red bell pepper
1 bunch scallions/green onions
4oz snow peas
2tbl oil, divided

Heat pan over high heat, add 1 tbl oil, cook meat 5 min and put aside
Heat another 1tbl oil, add garlic for 30 seconds then add the rest of the veg. Cook 3-4 min. Addd sauce and chicken, cook 1 min more and tada! Soo good and simple
Sounds delicious!!
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #65
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Was lucky enough to have dinner with a college friend while in London! Was very OP. I had an avocado vinaigrette salad to start, followed by a lovely coq au vin for dinner. One glass of wine. No dessert, even though we were both tempted by the choices . We decided to keep on chatting instead!!

No exercise today...leaving now for 3 meetings and a dinner engagement. Won't be back in hotel for about 12 hours.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jericrop
Stats: 187/178/160
Start Date: June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz View Post
Was lucky enough to have dinner with a college friend while in London! Was very OP. I had an avocado vinaigrette salad to start, followed by a lovely coq au vin for dinner. One glass of wine. No dessert, even though we were both tempted by the choices . We decided to keep on chatting instead!!

No exercise today...leaving now for 3 meetings and a dinner engagement. Won't be back in hotel for about 12 hours.
Sounds like you are having a great time!! Way to stay on plan!!!
Jericrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Happy Tuesday! I'm still working on my vacation weight.. I did some raking of the leaves yesterday so that's an easy way to get in some exercise! I am not doing as well keeping up my activity level so I have to work on that.

Has anyone ever had a Delicata squash? You can eat the rind since it's so thin.. it's much easier to prepare than other squash and delicious (think richer butternut squash) I highly recommend it!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Happy Tuesday! I'm still working on my vacation weight.. I did some raking of the leaves yesterday so that's an easy way to get in some exercise! I am not doing as well keeping up my activity level so I have to work on that.

Has anyone ever had a Delicata squash? You can eat the rind since it's so thin.. it's much easier to prepare than other squash and delicious (think richer butternut squash) I highly recommend it!
For some reason, this squash is one I can find regularly in Walmart. Delicious.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose1 View Post
For some reason, this squash is one I can find regularly in Walmart. Delicious.
that's great!!

How's everyone doing?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #70
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Hello gang
Haven't been checking as I was having such a hard time losing.Thhen realized I was out of Thyroid meds.So since starting them again I have nlost another 6.2 lbs this week. So I am under my old weight of 244. I am so glad.I weighed in at 241.2 this morning. So hopefully before long I will be in the 30's.

I have also been sick and going to Dr. today in a few minutes.Cold, plugged up ears and sinuses, feel terrible. I hope everyone else is doing well. Big Hugs!
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Berta. Sorry about the sickness, but it's wonderful about the weight loss.

I finally feel like I have beat the problems with my eyes. Everything is looking good. I have another appt. with the eye surgeon Nov. 1st. Hopefully I will be healed enough to be fitted with glasses.

I have hit 250 pounds. I can't believe it. It happened so fast. I told my husband that I couldn't deal with so much weight, it was hurting my knees and my back so much. He said "you know what to do".

So I have started again. ONE MORE TIME!

Penny
Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #72
Berta48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailbayne View Post
Congratulations Berta. Sorry about the sickness, but it's wonderful about the weight loss.

I finally feel like I have beat the problems with my eyes. Everything is looking good. I have another appt. with the eye surgeon Nov. 1st. Hopefully I will be healed enough to be fitted with glasses.

I have hit 250 pounds. I can't believe it. It happened so fast. I told my husband that I couldn't deal with so much weight, it was hurting my knees and my back so much. He said "you know what to do".

So I have started again. ONE MORE TIME!
We can lick this area of our lives cause we know the problem solver It's those that finish the race that gets the prize. I'm with you!!!

Doc says not pnuemonia which what I thought I had but it is upper respiratory infection still feeling pretty puny But it will get better he has prescribed me some antibiotics.

I'm so thankful your eyes are getting better. I have prayed for you. This will all work out in the end. Joy comes in the morning

Last edited by Berta48; 10-21-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Berta - Thank you so much for the prayers. I have finally turned the corner, I think.

I started over again with south beach a few days ago. I can already see the difference only a few pounds will make. I am not so sluggish, although it is still an effort to get around. Eating right these few days has helped me see how much better I felt when I was on plan.

I know it was probably only water weight, but I am down 3 pounds. Seeing results is helping me get back in the swing.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Oh wow, Berta.. stay on top of those meds and after more weight loss, you need to remember to go back in to get them adjusted again I hope you are feeling better today after some help from the doctor

Penny, great job... you've had a lot going on the last few weeks.. things are finally looking up!!

I am doing pretty well.. I made my own salads that I like to buy. It has romaine, tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, black beans, cannelini beans, corn and cabo jack cheese (swap for parmesan since they don't offer other LF varieties) and they are pretty good but expensive over time. I made my own and even figured out how to poach chicken without drying it out. Double bonus is my toddler likes poached chicken

Hope everyone is well, Happy Wednesday!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #75
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wrote this really long post earlier....and then our cable modem went out.

I am too cranky/busy to start over. So I will say Hi, let you know eating is going well, and I will catch up with everyone tomorrow morning.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #76

Quote:
I wrote this really long post earlier....and then our cable modem went out.

I am too cranky/busy to start over. So I will say Hi, let you know eating is going well, and I will catch up with everyone tomorrow morning.
Does this mean that you're home?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #77
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes, but not for long!! However, this time it's for personal not business reasons. We leave on Halloween for a 2 week vacation in pre-celebration of our 30th anniversary!!

We're going for 3 nights in LA for the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita (horse racing championship) then on to Maui for 7 nights and Oahu for 3 nights, then an overnight flight home. The one good thing about all the business travel I do is that I get to accumulate tons of airline miles, hotel points, and elite status. So I was able to get our flights for free, much of our hotel either free or using a great elite rate, etc.

We already have our tickets to Pearl Harbor (I am SO glad the gov't is back open, as the daughter of a WWII Navy PT boat sailor - this will be one of the highlights of our trip...)

In preparation for this trip, I've been trying to really be OP. We'll see when I weigh in on Friday.

In any case, Rose, how are things with you? In particular, how has your eating been?

Glitter, thanks for the tip on the Delicata squash. I've never tried one, and now it's on my to-do list.

Penny, good work on the 3 lbs! Who cares if it is water weight - it's directionally correct!!

Berta, take care of yourself! Even if not pneumonia, upper respiratory stuff can linger if not taken care of.

How's everyone else doing?

Have a good day SBers!!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #78
Berta48

Quote:
Oh wow, Berta.. stay on top of those meds and after more weight loss, you need to remember to go back in to get them adjusted again I hope you are feeling better today after some help from the doctor

Penny, great job... you've had a lot going on the last few weeks.. things are finally looking up!!

I am doing pretty well.. I made my own salads that I like to buy. It has romaine, tomatoes, fire roasted peppers, black beans, cannelini beans, corn and cabo jack cheese (swap for parmesan since they don't offer other LF varieties) and they are pretty good but expensive over time. I made my own and even figured out how to poach chicken without drying it out. Double bonus is my toddler likes poached chicken

Hope everyone is well, Happy Wednesday!
Thanks Glitter.
We have home delivery on our meds since DH was in the military.We use Express Scripts and get three months supply for the cost of one month.SO we certainly use them.But seems the Dr office and Pharmacy can never get things in unison.SO I was out for two weeks waiting on them to get it right But now I THINK I have it straightened out

How do you poach chicken? Is it like boiling it?I like chicken almost anyway.I made chicken veggie soup the other day and it sure tasted good. Having the remainder tonight for supper I wish I liked salad more.I enjoy when we eat out but dont't make them much at home. I am making apple salad today does that count? lOL

I'm still sick.... it's been a week today.But I am feeling some better, just still coughing up alot. At least my throat isn't sore any longer

Quote:
Yes, but not for long!! However, this time it's for personal not business reasons. We leave on Halloween for a 2 week vacation in pre-celebration of our 30th anniversary!!

We're going for 3 nights in LA for the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita (horse racing championship) then on to Maui for 7 nights and Oahu for 3 nights, then an overnight flight home. The one good thing about all the business travel I do is that I get to accumulate tons of airline miles, hotel points, and elite status. So I was able to get our flights for free, much of our hotel either free or using a great elite rate, etc.

We already have our tickets to Pearl Harbor (I am SO glad the gov't is back open, as the daughter of a WWII Navy PT boat sailor - this will be one of the highlights of our trip...)

In preparation for this trip, I've been trying to really be OP. We'll see when I weigh in on Friday.

In any case, Rose, how are things with you? In particular, how has your eating been?

Glitter, thanks for the tip on the Delicata squash. I've never tried one, and now it's on my to-do list.

Penny, good work on the 3 lbs! Who cares if it is water weight - it's directionally correct!!

Berta, take care of yourself! Even if not pneumonia, upper respiratory stuff can linger if not taken care of.

How's everyone else doing?

Have a good day SBers!!
Wiz
WOW my dream vacation is Hawaii (sigh)That sounds so awesome and to fly for free I know without a doubt I would finally make it there! I hope you have a wonderful time.You work hard and so deserve it.I'm trying to take care of myself.My eating is good so that is the main part. Now I have to just be persistent and stick with it. It may take another year or two but I am not giving up this time!!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Hi Rose. I know you are not speaking to me...still wanted to say hello and say I hope you are doing well.

Quote:
Berta - Thank you so much for the prayers. I have finally turned the corner, I think.

I started over again with south beach a few days ago. I can already see the difference only a few pounds will make. I am not so sluggish, although it is still an effort to get around. Eating right these few days has helped me see how much better I felt when I was on plan.

I know it was probably only water weight, but I am down 3 pounds. Seeing results is helping me get back in the swing.
SB does make a difference doesn't it??? So many good healthy things we CAN eat!!! That is what I try to focus on instead of what I CAN"T have.Then again Dr. A says avoid or eat rarely.SO nothing is actually off limits eternally

Have a good rest of the week.I am hoping to be in the 30s by Mon.I'm 241 so that would be a 2lb loss

Last edited by Berta48; 10-24-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #79
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

TGIF!!!

My weigh-in was respectable. I was down several lbs from my high a couple of weeks ago. I am back to where I was all summer. I'm still not even close to being back to my maintenance weight, but at least it is all directionally correct.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Hi all
YEA - Weigh in was 245 this morning. Going in the right direction.

Hubby and I have not been feeling quite right for about a week. Nothing terrible, but just not wonderful. Achy muscles and joints, fatigue, no energy...

We should be peppy with all this cool weather we're having in Florida. (I do love the cooler weather)!!

Jake is going in for a gall bladder test. He went to the dr because he has been having pain in the right upper chest area. Right under the rib cage. He has been reading up on symptoms on the web---sometimes not the best thing to do...you can fool yourself into all kinds of things. I told him to just take the test and follow up with the dr afterwards. If he has any REALLY bad pains, we'll go to the ER. Problem solved!!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

yay Wiz!! Enjoy your time off and happy early anniversary! I miss Hawaii

not weighing in.. 3 weeks since vacation ended and not so good. I'm not up but I'm not down to the weight before the trip. I'm still participating here so I'm not going to hide and give up. Must keep swimming!

Penny, if he doesn't have any gall bladder problems, perhaps he has pleurisy. I had very similar symptoms.. had my gall bladder looked at and blood work. It just went away after 2 weeks.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

oh Berta.. poaching chicken is just simmering it, not boiling It's in the SB 30 min meal book!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Hello SB'ers--
Lunch was absolutely on plan. I had tomato and cucumber slices, green pepper strips and baby carrots all for dipping in hummas. One slice of deli turkey and one slice of deli ham.

If you take a few green pepper strips, roll them in a slice of ham and dip it into mild Dijon mustard...YUMMY!! Also a tomato slice with salt and pepper and a smear of hummas, that's good, too.

Hubby had a ham sandwich and potato chips, so we were both happy!!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Erin711
Start Date: October 2013
New to SBD

Hello everyone! I'm new to SBD. I just put the book on hold at the book store, going to pick it up tomorrow. I have been researching SBD on the web. I am a cardiology nurse and feel that if I'm telling my patients that they need to change their eating habits I need to be a good example. I'm sure I will have questions after reading the book. I'm excited and ready to take back control of my life and my weight!
Erin711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin711 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new to SBD. I just put the book on hold at the book store, going to pick it up tomorrow. I have been researching SBD on the web. I am a cardiology nurse and feel that if I'm telling my patients that they need to change their eating habits I need to be a good example. I'm sure I will have questions after reading the book. I'm excited and ready to take back control of my life and my weight!
to the Beach. Congratulations on taking charge, use the book as a road map to better health. We will be happy to answer your questions as they come up.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #86
Berta48

Quote:
oh Berta.. poaching chicken is just simmering it, not boiling It's in the SB 30 min meal book!
I have that book Is it a recipe or just info on poacing chicken?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin711 View Post

Quote:
Hi all
YEA - Weigh in was 245 this morning. Going in the right direction.

Hubby and I have not been feeling quite right for about a week. Nothing terrible, but just not wonderful. Achy muscles and joints, fatigue, no energy...

We should be peppy with all this cool weather we're having in Florida. (I do love the cooler weather)!!

Jake is going in for a gall bladder test. He went to the dr because he has been having pain in the right upper chest area. Right under the rib cage. He has been reading up on symptoms on the web---sometimes not the best thing to do...you can fool yourself into all kinds of things. I told him to just take the test and follow up with the dr afterwards. If he has any REALLY bad pains, we'll go to the ER. Problem solved!!

Quote:
TGIF!!!

My weigh-in was respectable. I was down several lbs from my high a couple of weeks ago. I am back to where I was all summer. I'm still not even close to being back to my maintenance weight, but at least it is all directionally correct.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!
Happy Anniversary Wiz when you do you leave for your trip?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #87
wiz
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang! This may be my last post before I go on vacation. If I get a moment, I may check in from Hawaii - but I really plan to be as "unplugged" as possible.

Eating has been a little odd this week, we're trying to clear out the fridge and freezer before we leave. So our meals have consisted of weird food pairings . In any case, I love using up everything and getting to start from a clean slate when we get home.

Erin , SBD is a great plan to lose weight on and keep it off. Please let us know any questions you may have.

Gotta run, work is nuts. Everyone wants a piece of me before I disappear for 2 weeks....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #88

Have fun, Wiz.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
I have that book Is it a recipe or just info on poacing chicken?
The recipe is for the chicken salad!

Quote:
Hey gang! This may be my last post before I go on vacation. If I get a moment, I may check in from Hawaii - but I really plan to be as "unplugged" as possible.

Eating has been a little odd this week, we're trying to clear out the fridge and freezer before we leave. So our meals have consisted of weird food pairings . In any case, I love using up everything and getting to start from a clean slate when we get home.

Erin , SBD is a great plan to lose weight on and keep it off. Please let us know any questions you may have.

Gotta run, work is nuts. Everyone wants a piece of me before I disappear for 2 weeks....
Hopefully you just unplug, not using the internet made for a wonderful part of our vacation.

Erin, as you can see, we all have our ups n downs but we are all hear trying and making progress

Tomorrow is Halloween! I'm so excited to dress my daughter up as a cat (I'll get a picture for you all)

This was on the radio the other day about women who are an American size 12 are the happiest. I'm hoping to get into an 8, there always seems to be great clothes on the clearance racks for that size
Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #90
Berta48

HEllo Everyone
Well still hanging in there at 241 but at least It isn't a gain. Hopefully I'll be less by Monday weigh in day.

I will look for that recipe Glitter Thanks. We have been eating alot of soup mainly on Wednesday evenings since we get home late and I usually am to tired to cook. So I make a pot of soup during the day, then it is ready for us when we get home.Tonight is lean beef and veggie soup.Smells really good!

Wiz unplugged just get back with us when you get home.Have a safe and fun trip!!!

WELCOME ERIN